Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• gastromdgastromd Member Posts: 11
    Hi, this sounds like a relatively bad deal, please see my recent post in the Accord leasing experience forum. A couple days ago I leased a 2013 Accord EX for $260/month with absolutely nothing down (except first month's payment). This was in Mass, where sales tax = 6.25%. Good luck!
  • oliver1413oliver1413 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you very much. One question, when you say, 1200 off the invoice price, does that include taxes and fees?
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    no

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• anthony212anthony212 Member Posts: 15
    edited April 2013
    Hey, I'm curious did you lease the Coupe or sedan? I'm in NY and looking to lease a 2013 Accord EX-L I4, and just looking around at the prices. I've been emailing dealerships, but they don't like to email me back. I can't call since I've been way to busy lately.
  • vluuvluu Member Posts: 100
    edited May 2013
    I have been reading this forum for the last month or so and it was extremely helpful. For those who want the best deal, do your homework and read through each post so you understand and know what deals are out there.

I bought 2013 EXL i4 CVT yesterday on the last day of the month and I think I got the best deal so far that I have read thus far.

2013 EXL i4 CVT: ($28,785 retail w/ dest) & ($26,399 invoice w/ dest )

My deal and breakdown:

$24,865 includes Desination + 399 Processing + 795 Tax + 62 Title/ Tags - $500 Flex Cash

OTD $25,621

I wanted the Modern Steel Metallic color but they didn't have it and would only give me this deal for an EXL in stock. My second choice was Metallic Silver and they had it. When I asked them to throw in the All Season Mats ($142 value) with the deal, they agreed. It was an hour drive to Pohanka Honda in Fredicksburg VA but it was worth it for the deal. I was in and out in 1.5 hours. There was no trade involved and did finance for 3 years to get the .9%.

Pohanka was great to work with and there were no "surprises". I would highly recommend them, they are very upfront and honest. No games played. I went to Dulles Honda and they quoted me an OTD price and then when I got there, they bumped it up $1,100 with appearance packages + etc. I walked out, absolutely terrible and they totally lost my business with that kind of dishonesty.

Best of luck everyone!
  • sanfromvasanfromva Member Posts: 14
    Hi, Can you please share how did you negotiate this deal? Did you call, email or simply walk-in. Did your package include mud guards and wheel locks? Thanks.
    No wheel locks or mud guards included. They don't accessorize their cars which I prefer b/c I rather not get what I don't need.

I submitted an online request for a quote and was contacted by the internet sales person. They gave me a quote in an email which was around $26,100 OTD. Because I wanted the Metallic Grey and they didn't have it. I just held out. I know that one other person in the DC area got $25,800, that was the magic # I wanted to pay OTD. Two days ago, I got an email saying they would offer me the $500 Flex Cash so that sealed the deal after they threw in the mats.

It was almost too easy. I think Pohanka knows that people do their homework and they just want your business. I found their approach honest and up front. Way I see it, here's my price I want and if you can't sell it to me, just tell me so I can move on. Hope that helps and good luck. I think I got the extra $500 b/c of the end of the month sale. Not sure if that will work now since we are in May.
  • jatanjatan Member Posts: 92
    $500 flex cash is for financing with Honda
  • gastromdgastromd Member Posts: 11
    Hi, I leased the EX 4-door sedan. It may be harder to get a good deal now that it is May 1st so if you can hold out until late in the month, it might be better. I like to stick with email initially, I think it puts you in a better negotiating position. If they don't email you back it would raise questions in my mind as to how motivated they really are to get you into a vehicle..
    This was only dealer that offered me the $500. No other dealers told me that they ran out of funds for Flex Cash. I think it's one of those cases where the dealer has it for the month and they have to use it or lose it.
  • sanfromvasanfromva Member Posts: 14
    Does anyone know any new promotions for 13'Accord? And if Flex cash will be available to dealers this month too? Thanks.
  • tjolkotjolko Member Posts: 13
    I'll second this comment on Pohanka. They were very transparent with no games or surprises (I purchased an EX-L 4cyl from them on April 20...see my earlier posts for details) It was well worth it to me for the drive up to VA. The local dealers around here (Charlotte) are trying to sell the Accord at list. It is amazing how much you can save by using this forum to arm yourself with pricing info.
  • notbuyingitnotbuyingit Member Posts: 8
    Haggle some more. I'm seeing estimates in the high 22's... go in at 22000 and see if they counter offer.
    Im assuming this is for a EX CVT?
    Im in Mass and this is just FWIW. I went it on April 30 not looking to buy at all...just wanted to get an idea because my current car is up there in age. I test drove an 2013 LX CVT and liked it. I sat down and after the typical sales pitch routine and me showing no interest whatsoever, the salesman said and I quote "If we come down to $19000, would you consider buying from us?"
    This just shows how "aggressive" they can get at the end of the month. If you're still in the market, go back at the end of this month and start at $19000. Good Luck!
    Congrats on your new car. Im in MA too and I was wondering where you bought your car? is it manual or CVT?
  • jivanajivana Member Posts: 4
    What do you mean by 25.8 OTD? Does this number include taxes, title and all?
    Just curious, was the flex cash shown on the paperwork as a $500 discount on a separate line or did the dealer just take $500 off the car's price with no mention of it on the paperwork?

Not sure if dealers have a time limit to use it, but if it doesn't show up on the paperwork then I think most dealers just keep the funds on the backend. If it does show up on the paperwork then they may just hold on to it to use on slow days/weeks or near the end of the month to close borderline sales
    OTD is "out the door" or everything included

Unless you live in the same area as the posted deal you shouldn't look at the OTD price since tax/title/license vary based on where you live and documentation fees are capped in some states and not in others so those will vary by dealership and/or state

Look at car prices posted here with destination fee & doc fee to get an idea of what you should be paying for the car before tax/title/license/accessories -- vluu posted the full cost breakdown of the deal he got a few posts back
  • car_buyer_2013car_buyer_2013 Member Posts: 8
    edited May 2013
    Comparison of the 2013 camry le with the 2013 accord

1. Dash - The dash of the 2013 accord looks cheap. The camry's dash has a leather look with accent stitching giving it an upscale look.
    2. Side panels - The side panels in an accord looked too much plastic and not upscale. The side panels in the camry looks like leather although it is not and does not look like plastic.
    3. Audio - The accord audio sounds as if its a 20 year old radio with the sound having the quality as if its coming from a coke tin. The touchscreen audio on the camry is simply awesome. Love the clarity of the sound and the options with the good bass effect.
    4. Seat comfort - I have a long drive everyday. The accord seats were hard whereas the camry's seats are not too hard and not too soft. Just right. The camry's seat base is lowered at the end of the base helping your lower back get full support to the bottom of your back. The accord's seats are not bad but wont give the same lower and full back support as the camry.
    5. Glovebox lock - I was expecting the glovebox of the accord to have a lock. It does not. The camry does have a lock.
    6. Ride - The ride on the accord is relatively rough. Some people consider this as their flavor of being sporty. The camry ride is quiet and the focus is on the audio or the super clear Bluetooth. The best part in the camry is the sport mode which is not available in the accord making the drive a bit boring. I really liked the extra passing power I was getting with this sport(aka automanual) mode in the camry le.
    7. Drive - Accord's drive is cvt which is not well engaging versus geared camry with the sport mode.
    8. Legacy - CVT is not proven on the Honda. The auto transmission of the camry is very proven. Lookup carcomplaints.com. The first year of all the accord model year changes are having the most problems. 2003, 2008 and may be 2013. Not sure but the prior pattern exists.
    9. Design - The accord's design looks old whereas the camry's looks modern.
    10. Space - Visually speaking, the camry's space is undoubtedly more although the specs try to tell you something else.
    11. Windnoise - Accord has far more windnoise from the driver side. Stepping into the camry was a big relief when test driving one after another.
    12. Wheels - I like the wheels on the accord.
    13. Seat cloth - The light color cloth on the camry has some kind of self design and a stripe on the back but both cars have bad cloth seats giving a cheap look.
    14. Center box lid extender and sun screen extender - The accord does not have these both and I want my hand to be supported while driving. Love this on the camry.
    15. Backup camera - Love the backup camera on the accord but I still have to look on both sides to see if anyone is coming behind my car and cannot totally rely on the backup camera even if this was on my Toyota camry. This was not a deal breaker. The parking with the markings is probably an advantage.
    16. Design - The accord definitely copied a lot from the 2013 lexus es 350 i.e. dash design, tail lights, front leds design etc.(Checkout both cars before commenting on this point.). The worst part is the accord's tail lights are the same as Hyundai genesis and I am not a fan of Hyundai cars and their false promising techniques with the mileage etc. Camry designed on their own and no copying needed and I like that independent design and other cars don't have this design and most importantly, I don't think of Hyundai genesis when I look at my camry's taillights. This is the first time Accord did this.
    17. Fuel consumption - Looked up fuelly.com and the forum on Edmunds.com and the mpg of both are comparable. I made sure I was not comparing camry hybrid. I am getting 34 to 37 on my camry le.
    18. Financing - Camry has 0% whereas accord has 1.9% as their lowest. Also, camry has a grad rebate of 500.
    19. Maintenance - Camry has two year free maintenance(or 25k miles) whereas the accord does not. However, Camry does not have a maintenance minder and after the free 25k, the camry maintenance will be very expensive compared to the maintenance minder driven cost experience on my accord/civic.

By the way, I don't work for Toyota and this is the first time I bought a Toyota car. I had three accords and one civic right before this car and I am an accord fan and one of my cars had 175000 miles with zero problems. However, the comparison this time turned out to be like above.
  • gr8flgr8fl Member Posts: 3
    Am in DE. Will buy anywhere in state as well as PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA to get this best deal possible.

I buy cars every 10 years or so. Current car is 2004 EXL-v6 that I have really liked a lot. I seek the help of the generous hearts in this forum to give helpful advice and warnings to heed.

Have test driven both EXL-4 & 6, and can't justify extra cost for v6. The 4 seems peppy enough. But do want navigation - it's my adult toy and I don't get to have too many toys, so this is it.

Been reading through this forum a lot and find people's buying experiences all over the map in terms of price.

I will pay cash for new car if that gets me a better deal, though I see they have extended 0.09% / 24 months financing through July 8 and that adds the $500 flex cash.

I went to the local Honda shop yesterday. Got quotes way too high. Now trying to get through Internet sales. Any tips or advice on what is a really good deal and what isn't? Any suggestions of which dealer(s) to try out in the DE, PA, MD, DC, VA area? I am willing to drive a couple hundred miles or so to get a better deal.

Thanks in advance.
    edited May 2013
    I would start by requesting internet quotes from the top 3 dealers in all states based on dealerrater.com. Watch out for high processing fee and county specific extra taxes in VA. You will probably get a good deal in MD and they cant charge more than 200 processing fee. Don't worry about waiving the processing fee initially but compare the total numbers first and then negotiate the processing fee waiver as the next step and then negotiate the inclusion of free accessories. Make them compete with each other and if any dealer is asking you for a written quote, mention that "The other dealer who gave this best price wont give it in writing as he fears that I will price match this with another dealer." The three dealerships in DE cant even come close based on the quotes that I got. I personally did not like my experience with the dealership in Dover and will never buy a car from them in future. Criswell gave very good quotes and prices unheard of on this forum. Fredericksburg VA was equally good including the high processing fee. Others could not compete with these quotes and were almost 1k to 2k more as their best rock bottom quote. The trick is to get all the quotes from others to get a feel of the landscape first before hitting volume shops like criswell etc and trying to beat the prices over the last day of the month mentioning you will buy the car today if they honor a price on your mind. Stick to your price and be very stern. The local dealer may not price match your final best quote but worth a try before heading out of state. Buying locally will help you with any issues with the car immediately after the purchase (I ended up buying the camry for the first time although I got some good prices on the accord.)
  • dudeman8092dudeman8092 Member Posts: 3
    What should I pay for a 2013 Honda Accord with an MSRP of 25,077? It's for the 4 cylinder EX-L with the X package II, interior illumination, remote start, and 17" chrome look alloy wheels.
    The $500 shows up as a cash down payment on the bill of sale. It doesn't say anything next to it besides "Cash". This $500 was added to what I down for the Accord.

The only down side is that, your final sale price is higher so tax is a little higher, but you the customer still come out on top since it's free $$.
    Outside of the Accords terrible radio speakers. The 2013 Camry is BUTT Ugly. And in all the reviews the Camry is slipping away. But dont tell CR that. This is Honda's best Accord yet.
    You buy a 20k... Le/ Camry and think the dash and cockpit is upscale.

edited May 2013
    May be you are right and I wish I felt the same too.

I have been a Honda fan all my life(Honda Accord exl was my most recent car and had the three generation models before) and hated the Toyotas but the 2013 Honda accord's CVT is not Honda's DNA. Simulating the CVT to reflect a traditional Honda transmission was close but having had too many Hondas in the past, I am so used to the Honda Accord and I personally did not get the same opinion for the first time with this 2013 CVT. The sound of the engine is very much not like the traditional Honda.

By the way, the comparison was between the camry le and the accord lx and the upscale reference was between these similarly priced car models and the dash is the same even in higher end models of these cars. The cockpit is different in the higher end models of these two cars and the Accord wins there(similar to why I liked my exl) with the perforated leather and the looks without the ugly stripe like in the camry.
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc Member Posts: 699
    Try Pohanka in Fredericksburg - they are getting good press on this board as a no nonsense dealer who gives great deals.
    2016 ES350 Lux/Atomic Silver
    2017 Accord Sport CVT Mod Steel Metallic
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    This is why it's good to have choices. My experience was just the opposite. I REALLY wanted to like the Toyota Camry Hybrid but I just did not like driving it and did not like the interior. Loved the Accord EX-L CVT and thought it had a wonderfully intuitive layout inside that looks good too. It's a little different because I was driving the upper trim level on each car. In order of what we thought we would like it was Camry Hybrid, Altima, Accord. In reality turned out to be exactly opposite!
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    edited May 2013
    May be you are right and I wish I felt the same too.

I have been a Honda fan all my life(Honda Accord exl was my most recent car and had the three generation models before) and hated the Toyotas but the 2013 Honda accord's CVT is not Honda's DNA. Simulating the CVT to reflect a traditional Honda transmission was close but having had too many Hondas in the past, I am so used to the Honda Accord and I personally did not get the same opinion for the first time with this 2013 CVT. The sound of the engine is very much not like the traditional Honda.

By the way, the comparison was between the camry le and the accord lx and the upscale reference was between these similarly priced car models and the dash is the same even in higher end models of these cars. The cockpit is different in the higher end models of these two cars and the Accord wins there(similar to why I liked my exl) with the perforated leather and the looks without the ugly stripe like in the camry.

A true Honda fan would NEVER let a wonderful Honda engine languish behind any kind of automatic transmission.

I have been driving Hondas for the last 20 years, I have given automatics a try, but they are just bleh, compared to the same vehicle with a manual transmission and a clutch.

That is where Honda's soul has always been, in connecting the driver to the vehicle, so that they are one.

I test drove the 2013 Accord EX 6 spd manual, and I can tell you, the soul is still there, hidden under all that pseudo luxury. Rev it up to the redline before shifts, and the car just wakes up. It is a beast! Downshift before entering the curve, and then punch it as you exit the apex, the weight shift causes the car just hug the radius, as if it were on rails.

You simply can not do any of that with an automatic, and that is where Honda lost its soul. They sold out. Used to be that the most powerful Honda in the line up could only be had with a manual, but, good luck finding Accord EX V6 Sedan with a stick. The only way to get it is in the coupe, or as Acura TL Type S.

Sad, sad, sad.

P.S. A few years ago, Car and Driver folks transplanted a manual transmission out of Acura TL into Honda Oddyssey minivan. They have created a beast of a minivan. And as much as people hate driving minivans, they had people lining up to take a turn in a manually shifted Oddyssey. Even if the most mundane/sedate of the Honda's, a mini-van can be fun to drive with stick, think what other vehicles would be like. Wake up Honda! There are people who actually like driving, and not being drones.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I applaud your passion, and I have driven many manuals in my day, but I am never buying a manual transmission car again. If Honda or any other car maker limited themselves to manuals, they would have a very small market indeed in the United States. And a manual minivan! Three kids in the back, you don't have enough hands as it is! THE HORROR!!! :)
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • huskerfan5huskerfan5 Member Posts: 165
    car buyer 2013, you forgot to mention one other difference between the Camry and the Accord.
    The Accord aced the new SmallOverlap Front Test. This type of crash contributes to more deaths and injuries than the other type of frontal crash also tested (Moderate Overlap). Accord got a "Good". Camry didn't get a "Good", an "Acceptable" or a "Marginal". It got a "Poor". That's why the Accord is a Top Safety Pick Plus. The Camry is grandfathered under the old rules for 2013 so it keeps it Top Safety Pick designation but loses it next year. So enjoy your new Camry but please drive safe, or just admire it in your driveway.
  • cob2cob2 Member Posts: 9
    good reply... must have been joking with us...must...
    I have contacted them through their Internet dept. They offered $26,723, but I need to know if that is OTD (which I doubt) and what additional charges are included (e.g. tax, processing fee, etc.).
    Thank you for the advice. I didn't even know about http://dealerrater.com/ and certainly will plug in some requests there.

I hear you about Dover - Price Honda's bottom line on this car is 28,630. Compare that to the one place I did get a quote on (Pohanka Honda of Fredericksburg) which was $26,723. Makes me wonder how much this car actually costs the dealer, because I know they need to make some sort of profit. I am still waiting to hear back from Pohanka in Salsbury.

And yes, "stick to the price and be firm"
  • isantemisantem Member Posts: 7
    edited May 2013
    Champagne EXL CVT 4cyl (no navi) + Remote Start Option

+379 processing fee
    +783.14 VA title tax
    +51.45 business license tax
    +10 online DMV fee
    +50.75 Micensee and title fee
    -500 honda financing

OTD 26,500

Financing they offered me 2.69 for 72 months in order to have my monthly payment under $400 (399).

I cold have get it for $500 less from Pohanka but this dealer gave me 7years 100,000 powertrain waranty included and he was who spent all the time with me (3 test drives) and is close to my house also. (Colonial Honda, Tom, very very good guy). Also I did not discuss with Pohanka the financing.

Mechanicville Honda was willing to match the deal but I am not sure about their willing to buy down the rate for 72 months to 2.69 with Honda Financial.

Be ready to walk out the dealership......thats what I did when they were fighting about the APR and could not give anything below 3.49 for 72 months ..... in 2 seconds they gave me 2.69%

Thank you all for posting, I learned a lot from you and I think I was able to close a good deal (anyhow it was better than probably I would have done without this forum). Thanks brian125 and others. ;)
    edited May 2013
    Pohanka Honda of Fredericksburg was very aggressive in price matching and the internet manager was prompt in responding and will tell you if he cannot go lower. To make your search quicker, you can forget about PA and DE dealers totally as they cant come close plus you have to deal with "Bring us the quote and we will price match" and when you bring the quote in an email, they will ask for a buyers order or show some kind of policy that they will not price match if the quote is in an email. Not worth the hassle. However, if they are willing to price match, its good for you. Stick to the MD/VA and you will find a super good deal + end of month + 6pm or closing time. Even the NJ dealerships could not compete but were decent. In NY the advantage is less processing fee compared to MD. One of the PA dealerships told me that in MD they are allowed to give huge discounts for some reason whereas the PA dealerships are not.

On top of the high prices at the Dover showroom, my personal experience dealing with them was the crappiest compared to the many dealers in these 5 states. I am never visiting that place again.

For financing, check out the <1% Penfed Credit Union rate or the 1.9% DCU (72 months option at 2.49%). If you cant get the Honda financing for the rate you want, these alternatives will help you with negotiating or receiving cash back instead of having to select the Honda low rate. Compare the difference in interest based on how long you think you are going to keep the car to be able to decide.

Remember to create a separate email address as the dealerships will keep sending automated followups, salesman followups, funny advertisements making us think we are idiots, huge inventory sale, free life time engine warranty, some genuine lifetime oil changes related emails etc but will not match your price. You can forget about this new email address after your purchase is over with that one finalized dealership.
    What are your thoughts on Price honda in D.E.. Did you call them .This dealership was matching Weymouth honda's price in M.a.. I dealt with John who was the sales mgr.and i thought for sure i was buying there but i nailed down a good price closer to my N.y home on Feb 28th.

I sent a forum member there to buy a exl v-6 accord and Price Honda did not want to honor a price..

• buyer157buyer157 Member Posts: 40
    Hi everyone. Went in to a honda dealer here on long island today, primarily interested in the CRV, but was seriously impressed by the new accord. Wasn't ready to commit to buying anything today, but the salesperson (a nice person with a low pressure air) sat me down and said that when I was ready to come back and do a deal, he would be willing to sell me a car for as little as 100$ over invoice.

Reading over these threads, clearly cars are being sold below invoice.

Any folks out there in the tri-state area (NY, NJ, CT) purchase either an LX or a Sport Accord sedan with CVT? Would love to know what you actually paid OTD.

Really appreciate your help.
  • dclivedclive Member Posts: 35
    I'd suggest looking at what people pay for the car, without worrying about OTD (ie tax). What you pay should be the going rate, including any dealership fees; tax is set by the state and not something you can negotiate (ie everything else can be negotiated).....
    I agree.. the price range on a conservative side for the Accord in New york is 700 to 1200 below invoice price. visit dealerships on the last days of this month to get this kind of pricing..
    New york doc fee's are .........$75
    N.J. doc's are between...........200 to 400 dollars

• bxteachbxteach Member Posts: 16
    edited May 2013
    Having some problems with my 2008 EX-L w/Navi. The car has been a jinx upon purchasing. Between the class-action suit on the brakes, windows malfunctioning, and my busted cd-changer, I figured it was time to get a new Accord.

Being that I'm fairly sure I want to purchase a new car, I decided to email/visit some dealers. I am planning on using the 1.9% for 60 months. Here is what I got (I'm basing this on 7.375 % tax, $75 doc fees, and registration) for a NEW 2013 EX-L V6 with navigation.

Yonkers Honda:
    -I made an offer of under $29k this car. The dealer immediately stated that I was nuts and that the car would easily be $31k or more. He told me they were "scarce" and that was that. I emailed back and told him that scarce is not an adjective synonymous with Honda Accords. Done emailing.

Honda of Nanuet:
    -Emailed me a price quote of $29,126, but it did not mention with or without destination. That's a crap shoot and wasn't interested in driving to that dealer to negotiate further unless I was really buying the car that day.

Curry Honda:
    -Emailed me a price quote of $30,317 WITH destination.

Tarrytown Honda:
    -Decided to go into dealership because that is where I purchased the 2008. Dealt with someone really nice and spent the necessary time with me. Took the car for a drive again and loved it even more. I wanted to get "13,000" for my car. In all actuality, I know I wasn't going to get that. However, I'm not gonna low ball myself. According to Galves, he said my car is worth $10,900, but they would need to subtract $500 to recondition it, making their offer $10,400. I wasn't thrilled with that and he could tell. There are 67,000 highway miles on it and it's in fairly good condition. He then quoted me $31,000 for the 2013. To make a long story short, I told him both prices weren't where I needed them to be. He also stated that the flex cash was not available for those purchasing the car. It was only for those who leased. As I walked out, he gave me a quote of $29,770 for the 2013 and $10,900 for my car. I left happy because Memorial Day Weekend is coming and I have no problem waiting until summer for the car.

I have read some posts in here that state they have purchased this car for much less than $29,000. However, it seems like the end of the month is the best time to make my move.

If anyone has any other luck, I'd be happy to hear about it. I'm willing to travel and work for a deal, but it's got to make sense. "Dancing" with the dealers is not how I like to spend my time, but it's sometimes needed to get what you want.
  • jammikejammike Member Posts: 38
    Planet Honda is giving very good prices on Accord LX Automatic in NJ.

VEHICLE
    MSRP -23270
    Cost w/tax & plates + Doc Feed = 20985+ $399

Speak to the internet Dept. 877-240-2889

Got an email from them regarding this offer.
    2008 Accord was a first year redesign so there will be problems that show up a few years down the line -- similar for the 2003 redesign and it'll be the same for the current 2013 redesign

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/
    2003 & 2008 redesigns had the most complaints -- 2013 complaints will also be high compared to future 2014+ Accords

If you buy a first year redesign then Honda Care extended warranty is probably worth it if you plan on keeping the car for a long time -- there's a Honda extended warranty thread here on Edmunds forums that shows which online dealers sell it at a discount

EXL V6 Navi with dest fee -- MSRP $32,860, invoice $30,116

Below $29k should be possible since not that many people buy V6 trims (lower and mid-level 4 cyl trims are the biggest sellers) and dealers have more room to play with compared to lower trims -- wait til the end of the month or during the long weekend
  • buyer157buyer157 Member Posts: 40
    Brian - thanks so much for the reply. I really appreciate it. I assume the best way to substantiate this is by asking for quotes from several dealers?
    Thanks for the help. I figured that the new models would have some type of faults associated with them. However, when I think of Honda, I think of reliability and consistency.

Regardless, I like your idea about the extended warranty. Is Honda Care a FULL, bumper to bumper warranty? I'd like to know that I'm covered for everything. I will be keeping this for a while. My 2000 was about 9.5 years old when I traded it in.

I'm heading out today to another dealer with my dad. He wanted to check out the process with me. I don't plan on buying today unless the dealer WOWs me with something.

I have no problem waiting until the end of May and will definitely consider the extended warranty.

Thanks again!
    If your trading in your 08 Accord you need to visit as many dealerships before the end of the month to get a Price/ trade in . Galves price is pretty much what your going to receive. If dealers give you 11,500 for the 08 Accord they will not give you a good new car price. You need to work on getting 1k below invoice price or better on the new car purchase plus getting the 10,900 price.

If you do not want to sell the 08 ACCORD TAKE THE HIT AND MOVE ON.
    Make it clear to all the dealerships at the end of may you will buy and trade for 1500 below invoice price. Make your best deal closest to that number.
    The money you save of taxes from the trade will make up for the loss w/ the 1500 below price on new car purchase..

With redesigned cars there's only so much that they can test before they start manufacturing -- they get a lot of feedback/complaints the first year and they start issuing fixes and making manufacturing changes if there are enough complaints. It takes a few years for long term quality issues to pop up which is around the time the factory warranty expires for first year buyers. Overall Honda is reliable and they make quality cars, but if you buy a first year redesign from any car company then expect more problems than usual in the long run

You can look through here to see what problems have shown up so far:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f266f12?displayRecent

I don't think the 2013 will run into as many problems as the 2008 b/c Honda probably spent more time planning/designing/testing to get things right -- going cheap and cutting corners on the 2012 Civic didn't work out too well for them and they had to redesign the Civic again for 2013 so they probably don't want that happening with the Accord lol

Honda Care extends the factory 3yr/36k mi bumper-to-bumper warranty to the yr/mileage you select (max is 8 yr/120k mi). You have 6 months/6k mi to buy it at the discounted "new car" pricing, after that the price goes up. I would go for the $0 deductible one so you don't have to pay for repairs out of pocket

More info: http://www.hondafinancialservices.com/finance/extended-services
    Brochure: http://www.hondafinancialservices.com/static/pdf/Honda_Care_Coverage_Details.pdf-

Honda extended warranty thread: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef0eeb7?displayRecent

Here's 3 online dealers you can get quotes from (there's probably a couple other reasonable online dealers, look in the warranty thread)
    http://www.saccuccihondacare.com/
    http://www.hyannishondacare.com/
    http://www.bernardiservicecontracts.com/
  • hamid786njhamid786nj Member Posts: 1
    What dealer in Mass and what was the name of sales agent. I am in Mass too and looking for a LX at a good price.
    Thanks Brian for the advice.

I am going to email dealers tomorrow with a price of $28,400 and I will buy immediately. I'm hopeful, but not optimistic that I can achieve that price this week. I'm hoping they would rather deal now than wait until the end of the month.

I'm going to exclude the trade from my negotiating for now and see what their best prices are. I just received a quote for $29,200 and that was without any negotiations. This was from Brewster Honda.
    Thanks again for the helpful advice. I have spent the last few hours researching and reading reviews. I went to see the 2013 Subaru Legacy and wasn't too impressed. It does offer the AWD, but I'm not in the snow too much. Winters here in NY aren't what they used to be.

I am a becoming a little weary with all the redesign talk and began to look into the warranties. I will send out pricing feelers tomorrow and let you know what I end up with. I have never purchased an extended warranty on a single thing that I own.
    I've got one dealer, Brewster Honda, down to $29,100 including destination. They don't know about any trade. I'm staying firm on my offer of $28,500.

I'm going to email Tarrytown Honda again and ask them for $28,750 plus the $11,000 for my car.

I'll keep everyone posted!!