Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• gmanusmcgmanusmc Member Posts: 699
    edited May 2013
    I don't understand - how is asking for 28,750 staying firm on 28,500?
    2016 ES350 Lux/Atomic Silver
    2017 Accord Sport CVT Mod Steel Metallic
  • bxteachbxteach Member Posts: 16
    Look, I need to make a move soon to replace my car.

I'm going to TRY and remain firm. Is that better?

Brewster Honda does not know about potential trade. Tarrytown already knows my plan. Don't know what Brewster would give me. I know Tarrytown is up to about $11.

I honestly don't want to wait until the end of the month. I guess I'll have to visit the dealers to make $28,500 happen.
    Sorry - didn't mean to upset you - guess I didnt understand your intent - it looks like you are getting close to your target price so I'm sure you're gonna get a great deal. I'm like you, if I can make a great deal that makes me happy, I'm not concerned what day of the month it is.
    Definitely not upset. I just didn't want to be taken so literally. I loathe this process and it's making me more and more agitated.

I'm early in the month, but I'm ready to rock. These dealers are not playing ball....yet. I'd rather not travel because of my schedule, so I'm sticking to email for now.

Greenwich Honda's Internet manager said my offer of $28,500 was more than a thousand lower than where they are at.

Currently, I'm sitting at $29,100 with a trade they haven't seen yet.

I'm going to Honda of New Rochelle for some face time and my credit card win my mouth. I'm hoping something good comes from it. I've emailed the Internet manager twice with my current offer and she has yet to email me back.

Any other advice? I'm all ears!!
    Like Brian, I have done this many times - you are armed with a great plan and excellent knowledge. Stick to your guns and the result will be a great deal you are happy with. Brian would want you to wait but I think you can make it work now. Keep it simple - don't allow the trade to confuse things - get a stated selling price (incl destination), a stated trade in allowance for your vehicle, and then review all the fees and taxes to make sure it all jives. If you get within a few hundred of your target and they won't budge, excuse yourself to go home and think it over - they might cough up the extra few hundred before you leave.
    Don't let this process agitate you - you're closer than you might think.
    Thanks so much! I'm responding while looking at another message from a dealer that says there is nothing Honda is doing now or in a few months that will get them to make the price $28,500.

I will wait them out and see what happens. I am hoping that I have the time.

On another note, and NO, this is not about a buying experience. I had to ask though. I have been reading about the navigation and the audio for this car. Is it really going to be a problem? My nav in the 08 has been great.
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    BXTEACH,
    I'm in agreement with gmanusmc. You are armed and ready with pricing info and you seem to be able to handle yourself in the car negotiations game. I say Visit as may dealers that are near your house and just work on getting your best price. If you get your targeted price number then work in the trade .but not before. Keep both negotiations seperate.

After this week if you have not meet your price wait til May 30th to start the process again . I am a firm believer in End of the month buying. Dealers play to many games before that last week. . You as the consumer do not have the buying leverage right now. I liked to go in at that 12 hour make my pitch and buy with no nonsense. Dealerships that need those sales numbers/ incentives are ready and willing to sell cheaper than the 1st week of the month.

Starting on the last 2 days of this month if no deal is struck prior..To Eliminate your valuable time and not drive all over the place again Call every dealership with your offer. I have always got my price or very close to it on the last 2 days /last day of any month by bringing many dealerships into the game. Nail down a price with phone negotiations then drive to the dealer to sign papers etc especially with dealerships that seen your trade in car already.
    Here are some more dealerships to call at months end near you.

1- Yonkers
    2- New Rochelle
    3- Friendly

Unfortunately your Trade in is what will hold you up.

Good luck post your deal..........................B

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• tjolkotjolko Member Posts: 13
    For those willing/able to make the drive to the D.C. area, here is the latest deal from Tysons Corner: http://www.hondaoftysonscorner.com/specials/new.htm They are discounting the Accord LX auto sedan by $4,273. The price of $18,997 DOES NOT INCLUDE FREIGHT, DOCS, TAX & TITLE. Also includes 0.9% 36 month financing.
  • pch2001pch2001 Member Posts: 2
    I couldn't agree more about Honda manual transmissions! I purchased a '13 Accord EX-L V6 MT Coupe and both my wife and I absolutely love it. I've been driving a '91 Accord EX Sedan MT for over 22 years and still have fun behind the steering wheel. I purchased '08 and '09 Accord EX AT Sedans for my kids to use in high school and now at college, but it never felt right when I drove the AT's.

My only complaint is the '13 EX-L V6 MT Coupes are hard to find and dealers are less willing to negotiate. I had to pay invoice ($28,547). At least Honda offered 1.9% 60 month financing on coups.

I owned a '99 Odyssey EX for 12 years and now own a '13 Odyssey LX. I would replace the '13 Odyssey LX with MT Odyssey if/when they ever became available!
  • notbuyingitnotbuyingit Member Posts: 8
    I hope you didnt buy it at that price. I got $19000 in MA (I know its not NJ) and I didnt even negotiate. It was the end of the month
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I applaud your passion, and I have driven many manuals in my day, but I am never buying a manual transmission car again. If Honda or any other car maker limited themselves to manuals, they would have a very small market indeed in the United States. And a manual minivan! Three kids in the back, you don't have enough hands as it is! THE HORROR!!!

Regadless how many kids are in the back, the driver's hands are to be used to operate the vehicle while in motion. If man handling is needed, it is only to be applied when the vehicle is stationary.

So, the choice of transmission does not affect the carrying capacity, or the number of children.

Of course if one wants to discipline their kids while at 70 mph, and having coffee in one hand, and cell phone in another... well... then it doesn't matter what transmission is in the vehicle, there is really not enough hands, or eyes, fot that matter, to be driving.
    Commonwealth Honda - Lawrence. His name was Steve, forgot the last name.
    Get an internet quote first so they know that you've done your homework.
    Wait til the end of the month if you can
  • thefullmontrythefullmontry Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    I bought an LX this weekened, here were my numbers for those shopping:

-Dealer city/state (Phoenix, AZ)
    -MSRP (incl destination) ($23,XXX )
    -Invoice (incl destination) ( $21369 )
    -Purchase Price ( $20,952)
    -Downpayment ( 0)
    -Trade allowance ( $4500 - 2001 Highlander 2WD 145k miles)
    -Tax - $1610
    -Title/License - $423
    -Dealer fees ($0)
    -Doc fees ($395)

With that being said we were talking to another couple in Financing and their purchase price was 23k for the exact same car.
    Very well said - I'm so tired of looking in the rear view mirror to see the driver behind me with a cell phone glued to their ear - and that's in a late model Mercedes or Lexus, which I'm almost positive is equipped with Bluetooth - amazing!
    edited May 2013
    Thanks to everyone who helped me out here.

I found that NO dealer really wanted to make a deal now and that I'd be waiting until the end of the month to get this done (Issues with current 08). With that being said, I went to look at my other options.

The lowest I got for the 2013 Accord EX-L V6 w/Navi from Brewster was $29,120. That included destination. However, I was not sure how much they were going to give me for my 08.

Tarrytown offered $29,775 and $10,900 for my 08 Accord.

Long story short, I went to Acura and found a Black/Black TSX w/Tech 4 cyl. on their lot. Got some body side molding, all-weather mats, and splash guards for the car. I've always wanted an Acura and now I have one. I paid $28.5 and they gave me $12k for the Accord (Greenwich Acura).

I would have tried harder for the Accord, but I read too many reviews detailing the inconsistent Nav system and the Bluetooth. I do know there is a tsb for them, but I didn't want to risk any other issues with the redesign. My 08 was a redesign (I understand it is several years old), but it was a hassle from day 5.

Good luck to all with the new Accord!!
    Wow bx - what a turnaround - my wife and I have had a few Acuras - they are outstanding cars - I think you're gonna be very happy with this vehicle. It's still a Honda so it should be very dependable and easy to maintain. Congratulations and enjoy!

Bill G
    Bill,

Thanks!!! I know.....happened really quickly.

I'm very excited about my purchase. I know the specs are a little different (leg room and cargo space to name a few), but I've wanted an Acura. Like you said, it's still a Honda. I think I did okay with the deal. The car is gorgeous.

Let the fun begin!!
    Sorry to hear about your mis fortunate buying experience. You can not buy a Accord in the New york/ New jersey area the first week of the month. As you learned.. You got nowhere with a week of wasted time.
    There is no leverage and no incentive for any dealership to sell this car that low in price. The 1st 3 weeks is the dealers time to make as much money off the Un educated buyers. Dealers that dont hit there sales incentives will deal the last 2 days of the month. Thats why you get as many dealerships involved at the end of any month.... The same applied to that Acura you bought on his lot. If you bought that car at months end you might have saved 500 to 1000 more.
    The 3 dealers in my prior post would have gave you a very good if not the best price this month on your model car at Months end.

Take what i'm telling you and apply it to your next vehicle purchase.
    Enjoy your Acura thats a sharp car.

• blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Congrats on the TSX.

Acura TSX = Honda Accord outside of the USA/Canada.

North American Accord is unique in terms of being a stretched out global Accord aka TSX.

TSX 6 spd manual is the only way to get Accord EX-L sedan with stick in the US.
    Brian,

I wanted to make a move sooner rather than later. If I didn't see the TSX, I was waiting until the end of the month.

I appreciate everyone's support and advice. I was much more prepared this time.

I'll be honest, the complaints about the Honda scared me. I'm sure the latest patch and potential future fixes could fix some issues. I didn't want to risk it. Going back and forth to the dealer to diagnose was something I didn't want to do. And to clear things up, it could still happen to my Acura.

Thanks again!!
    edited May 2013
    Have fun with your new Acura, You said you bought a black Acura great color. Buy this wax it is the best wax for dark colors. P21s. They use this wax on very expensive sport cars for the auto shows . p21's brings out that great shine. Goes on and off effortless. Your car will always look like a sheet of glass /reflection. You could wax your car in 20 mins. I ve been using it for 15 years and i'm still amazed how good it works. Its a pure brazillian carnaba wax.
    35 dollars for a 6 oz jar. Check it out you wont be disappointed.

• cardopa1cardopa1 Member Posts: 1
    I live in North Jersey and looking for a 2013 Accord EX-L V6. I received 2 quotes from different dealers - one for 26,950 and 26,900. Both do not include dest fee, doc fee and taxes. Is this a good price ? What should it be ?
    edited May 2013
    700 TO 1K BELOW DEALERS INVOICE PRICE IS WHERE YOU SHOULD BE IN NEW JERSEY FOR A EXL V-6.. THEN ADD YOUR DEST/CHARGE , DOC FEES, AND TAXES.
    poster; jjvicks.......... bought a exl v-6 from madison honda in n.j. for 900 below invoice price on march 30th. doc fees are $249
    Invoice on your model is $27,502 with dest/charge of 790=$28,292

• anthony212anthony212 Member Posts: 15
    Hey guys, I just got a quote from Nardy Honda here in Long Island, NY.

Model: Accord EX-L 4 CYL Coupe
    MSRP: $ 28,860
    Special Internet Price: $ 26,367.70
    Sales Tax 8.625%: $ 2,274.21
    Inspection: $ 10.00
    Documentary Fee: $ 75.00
    NYS Tire Recycling: $ 12.50
    Out the Door Price: $ 28,739.41 ( Includes Destination Charge)
    ( Just Add Registration )

I know its the beginning of the month, and its only $100 off invoice. Guess I'm going to have to wait
    Nardy is a terrible dealership. with bad pricing........... beware

• anthony212anthony212 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for the heads up, I've dealt with Honda City in Levittown, NY back in 2007 when I purchased my current Accord, but they won't get back to me via email
    Ive got some good end of the month pricing from
    North shore Honda, and Atlantic honda. try them at the end of the month

• jammikejammike Member Posts: 38
    The price I posted was Out the Door price. There is no way any where in USA you can get 2013 Accord LX Automatic OTD for $19K.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    I would be better if everyone would itemize the price of the car without their local and state fees so we can see what the car is selling for.

Sales price of the car including destination charge and any extra fees like doc fees that go to the dealer is the price the car is selling for.
    Sales tax and registration/license fees being mixed into grand total OTD postings just makes it too difficult to compare to anyone else since those costs vary widely across the country.
    For instance, OTD prices in Oregon vs CA are not comparable.
    The price I posted was not OTD. I never mention OTD because TT, fee vary from state to state.
    What your saying is at 19,000 for a LX excluding tax, dmv and doc fee's you paid $2369 under invoice. Was this accord red. I would have to agree with mike on this one. No way
    I know one person who purchased a LX in april for 1700 below invoice. they paid doc fee's of 399 so the dealer really sold the car for $1300. below his invoice price.

I went it at the end of month. They tried to sell me a car but I wasnt going to buy one that day regardless, I was just shopping around. He initially gave me the MSRP, I said that I came in because because I had received an internet quote of $20640. Then one of the salemen said that they get really aggressive at the end of the month and wanted to know if I would buy the LX if they came in at $19k. I said, again Im just shopping around and I wasnt going to make a decision right there and then. I was interested in a 2013 LX CVT, silver Metallic.

So no I didnt buy the car but why would they offer me $19k if they weren't serious. Again this is just the price, excluding taxes and fees.
  • juliankryejuliankrye Member Posts: 52
    edited May 2013
    Sometimes it pays to not be too naive. Very often dealers or loan officers will throw a number at you just to gauge your buying willingness, that way they are not wasting their time. If you willing to buy you will see that what they told you is not the real numbers, they will come up with some BS and never offer you what they said initially, has happened way too many times.

Anything too good to be true, be cautious. I have 2012 SE Accord, which I bought last August before 13 came out, currently 10K on it, one oil change done, however I am always in this forum always checking market prices. My 2012 back then was 19.5 k sale price, with taxes doc etc came to 22k even in north jersey.

I would like to get the 2013 either sport for 22k OTD or the exl auto for like 24k, probably the EXL won't happen until the new version comes but wishing is free.

Cheers everyone, and good luck hunting for great deals. Julian
    Dealership low balled you to see if you were Serious and to see if you knew pricing. That price is not happening. Maybe End of the year. Honda will not lose or give this hot model and number 1 seller away. At almost 2400 below invoice price honda would be losing money on that deal.

I'm glad you cleared this up

Brian is correct - this is a common sales tactic - "if I was able to get you the car at xxx dollars, would you buy right now?" You'll notice the word if is in there so they are not committed to anything they told you. They will also do this to get you to return to their dealership when you don't receive a quote this low at another dealer - its known as a walking number.
  • semantic2semantic2 Member Posts: 28
    anybody purchase a 2013 EX-L V6 Sedan in the chicago area? trying to get quotes and prices. i'm closer to the naperville area. want to see what everybody is sort of getting. would love to come close. you can pm or email me at richmui128@comcast.net

thanks a bunch.
  • ohenryxohenryx Member Posts: 285
    Is it possible to get the V6 engine without the sunroof? I'm rather tall, and the sunroof decreases headroom.
    edited May 2013
    No......... I have the EXL v-6...I'm 6'1 and there is plenty of headroom. the only thing i dont like is the car sits low to the ground. Feels like i'm on a skate board..I have always driven a SUV... Most of the time thats what i drive.

• 336mil336mil Member Posts: 8
    I negotiated but failed to reach a deal at the end of last month on an Accord EX-L 4 cyl. The lowest price I could get from the dealership in Schaumburg was $26,000 (including the "Convenience" package -- wheel locks, mud flaps and trunk liner). I said I'd go $25,500 to compensate them for the package and they said no, not enough.

My original bid was $25,000 and their original response was just under $27,000. I wouldn't go above $25,500 and they would not go below $26,000. So, no deal. I'm not sure that will help you with the V6 but it's the same market with one-step down in vehicle. If I cannot reach a deal on the Accord, I'll move on to a Camry. Toyota seems to be very aggressively pricing their cars right now.
    edited May 2013
    Just remember your trading down.
    The Accord is heads above that Camry. Every region has different pricing on the Accord. If my area sells for 1200 below invoice price on the accord and in your area its only 500 below invoice that should not deter you from buying it.
    your main objective is to find the market price in your area and get that price.
    If you want to travel out of your state for a better bargain thats fine.

My suggestion would be to ask all dealerships in your area for 1000 below invoice price and you will buy that day. If you cant get 1k shoot for 700/800 and make your best deal. You have to be in control of the negotiations

start your buying process on the 2 to last day of this month. dealerships looking to meet those sales incentives will sell cheaper on that day than earlier in the month.

Good luck

• 336mil336mil Member Posts: 8
    Well, I don't see it as trading down. The Camry is quieter and softer (less tight). But let's be honest, these are family sedans, not sports cars or luxury cars. The XLE is a nice car and the Hybrid XLE is a very nice car, especially now that gasoline is $4.29/gallon in suburban Chicago.

I did follow your suggestions during negotiations but I reached a point where I refused to bid higher, and where they refused to go lower. I'm not in a hurry to buy but that may change.

Plus, April was a good month for the Honda -- it was the top selling family sedan for the month, was named Consumer Reports top family sedan, and, well, it's still relatively new to the market.

No big deal. We have an Accord now and have been happy with it, but it has a lot of road and wind noise and I've never loved the driver's seat.

Every car is a compromise of sorts.
  • ohenryxohenryx Member Posts: 285
    I have to disagree with your assessment, there isn't "plenty of headroom", not for me, anyway. I do not like driving in a reclined position, and the 1.5 to 2 inches "stolen" by the sunroof really bother me. I called the closest Honda dealer, and they agreed with your statement that you cannot get a V6 without the sunroof. Rather dumb, in my opinion, but there it is. Scratch the Accord from my list....
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    You can get a V6 Altima. You don't have to get the high trim levels to get a V6 there.
    Or you could get a Sport or LX Accord. The 4 cylinder is not slow and it is not like you will be pulling a trailer with an Accord even with the V6.
  • danminazdanminaz Member Posts: 5
    Hi, what dealer did you go to if you don't mind? Did this include any financing deals? I'm targeting Memorial Day Weekend to pick up this same car. Thanks.
  • rocklirockli Member Posts: 11
    edited May 2013
    -Year, Make, Model: 2013 Accord LX Manual
    -Options: None
    -Dealer city/state : Manly Honda, Santa Rosa, CA (two hours one way driving...)
    -MSRP (incl destination) : $22,470.00
    -Invoice (incl destination) : $20,639.00
    -Purchase Price : $19,293.00
    -Downpayment : $-500 (Flex Cash with Honda Finance)
    -Trade : NA
    -Finance: 0 Downpayment, 0.9% APR for 36 mo.
    -Dealer fees (what and how much) : NA
    -TTL : $1946.89
    -Doc fees : $80.00
    -Amount Financed (OTD): $20819.89 (exclude TTL and doc fees it comes to: $18793)

I want to add after market leather upholstery (probably go with katzkin). Dealer quoted me $1400 to do that. I have not decided yet. Could you please share your opinion with this price and the quality with katzkin?

Also, I plan to add: All Season Floor Mats, Trunk Tray, Splash Guard and Exposed Wheel Locks. Is it necessary? What do you guys think of Collegehillshondae ? I found a cheaper one: handa-accessories. Anyone bought from them before?

If you are close to Santa Rosa, CA and would like to buy a Honda. I would like to recommend my sales man, feel free to send msg to me and ask. I think they still have flex quota for this month and the internet price they gave is the "true" price. I did not negotiate anything when I was at the dealership. No DIOs. I am very happy with the whole process so far.
  • jatanjatan Member Posts: 92
    For aftermarket leather most people go with Katzkin or LeatherSeats or Clazzio -- not sure which one is better or how good they are (search around the web for aftermarket car leather reviews). Most leather kits cost around $550-800 online (installers get a discount on those prices, Clazzio is usually cheaper than the other 2), but installation labor takes a while since the leather doesn't just slide on top of the cloth seats (they remove the seats from the car, separate the components, remove the cloth material from each component, install the leather, put the seats back together and reinstall)

It looks like only Katzkin has leather for 2013 Accord so that's probably your only option right now. Find other Katzkin installers in your area (check Katzkin website) and get multiple quotes so you know what the installed price is in your area -- if the dealer wants $1400 then see if they're willing to knock down the price a little more or else go to an independent shop. If you're not happy with current price quotes then wait a few more months until there are more custom leather options available

College Hills and H&A are the usual go to places for discount parts/accessories (check shipping costs when comparing prices) -- you can also search for accessories on ebay since there's usually a few dealers on there and its easier to find prices with shipping

Are those accessories necessary? That's up to you to decide lol. Doubt people care about your LX wheels so wheel locks probably aren't needed (if you bought a sport with 18" wheels then those will probably be targeted by thieves). Splash guards are up to you. Trunk tray and all season mats are probably worth it -- trunk tray you can get OEM or Weathertech (whichever is cheaper) and all season mats you could go for OEM ones, but I prefer Weathertech DigitalFit FloorLiners (I have these in my Civic and keep them in all year round, no worries with rain/snow/mud/dirt)
  • rocklirockli Member Posts: 11
    Thank you for your detailed reply. I appreciate it!
  • bzimpfbzimpf Member Posts: 2
    Hi Rockli

Could you provide Santa Rosa dealer and salesman name?

I'm looking for an EX-L w/o nav and want to buy this week.

Thanks
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    You may include the dealership name, city and state in your post. Please do not post last names of salespeople, telephone numbers, email addresses, or other contact information.

Thanks!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

What model LX are we talking about Auto or manual ????