Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• buyer157buyer157 Member Posts: 40
    Hi Brian - New York, long island specifically....Honda central. More here per capita than anywhere else in the country.

Car is the white honda accord sport. No options, but will add the mud guards which will cost 140 installed. Would also like to add mats and cargo liner which I'd probably get on line. Dealer won't throw them in.

Price is 22568 which includes the mudguards, all dealer fees in but DOES NOT include DMV or 8.625% NYS sales tax. Does include 500$ flex cash. They will also do 1 year of scheduled maintenance for free.

When I initially started shopping, the sport seemed like the right fit in between the LX and the EX, costing about 1K OTD more than the LX. Now, as the OTD price on the LX has dropped another 1 K,I'm starting to wonder if lower Sport inventory is inflating their selling value way beyond what Honda initially intended relative to the LX and EX.

If you have a chance to speak with your dealer before Thursday, I already have a deposit in on the vehicle, and if I need to go another way - or renegotiate - the sooner I figure that out, the better.

Thanks Brian, we could use guys like you around the office!
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited June 2013
    BUYER,

I have no leverage with pricing this week. i will shoot for this price . If dealer agree's then you decide if you want to come over to Staten Island.

I will see if 22,000 with mud guards can wrap this deal up for you.

That makes your deal 500 below dealers invoice price= 22,429 w dest charge
    plus the 500 flex cash owed you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,= 21,929
    plus mud guards.....................................................= 69

total......................................................................$ 21,998

On that total... add your doc fee's,dmv, and taxes. Should put you OTD at

$24,034 plus dmv fee's about $175 to 200

Be back in New york on Wed if you want to wait.

Brian

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• mycar6886mycar6886 Member Posts: 9
    Hi Brian and buyer157,

I just read your discussions and they are very helpful. Thanks a lot.

I also live on Long Island, New York. The same tax rate with buyer157, 8.625%.
    I'm looking for a 2013 accord LX, CVT. Currently, the best price I received is $20,369.00, add Sales Tax $1,799.95 + NYS Fees $97.50 Totaling $22,266.45, and extra NYS DMV Fees (Cost for license plates). This price includes $ 500 flex cash through Honda finance. I noticed that someone got a better price than this in prior posts. Unfortunately, I was not able to get it in the end of May even I followed Brian's suggestions on his posts.

Brian, when you go to your dealership on thursday, could you also help me check the price for 2013 accord LX, CVT? I prefer silver or steel grey color, blue is also ok. I appreciate your kind help.
    I dont like to negotiate any deals before the last few days of any month.
    If you read prior posting there are about 20 dealerships mentioned. you need to call or visit at the end of the month. you will find a good deal on your model.

The lx model could be had for 1k below dealers invoice price or pretty close to that number. 500 below invoice without a doubt.

I'm sure you could get a good deal with Atlantic honda by you. Wait til june 27th to start your buying process.

I will post something for you. The leverage and key to getting a good deal is buying at the end of the month. Contacting several dealerships.

I know with very little effort 500 below dealers invoice in june with most if not all models is 100% do-able in the N.Y. N.J area. There are hundreds of dealerships in this area.

Thank you so much Brian.
    At 20,369 plus taxes and dmv your at 1k below already. thats a really good price. if you added your flex cash into that number than your 500 below invoice.

• jimmytulsajimmytulsa Member Posts: 48
    edited June 2013
    Brian,

What is Flex cash? Is it a rebate from Honda? Didn't know about it when I bought my EX-L end of Feb and took delivery first week of March.
  • juliankryejuliankrye Member Posts: 52
    Hello everyone,

In a couple of months my 2012 Accord SE will be a year old, and I was thinking maybe I can get myself in a 2013 Accord as the 2014 comes out.

If not mistaken, most of the high end accords (EXLs and Touring) should be dirt cheap as the 2014s come out, any thoughts on where we will see these prices drop? Also, does anyone have any idea when the 2014 Accord is coming out, can't be too far out, September I suppose right?

Thank you all, it always a pleasure to stay plugged into this forum.
    Julian
    If a dealer has earned flex Cash money you will recieve a 500 addition discount off the sale of your vehicle when you finance thru the honda corp. Not all dealers have the flex cash they have to earn it. Flex cash offered by a dealer is on a first come basis when it runs out thats it for that month.

When we purchased our Accords in Feb it was not offered.

• newsienna1newsienna1 Member Posts: 10
    Brian, curious for you input on my below deal that I did over the weekend in Boston market. No one was biting on the email phone contacts, and had to in for it. Needed a car so couldn't wait for month end. Wondering how much I left on the table with them making something as well.

Accord Sport 6MT

MSRP inc Del 24,180.00
    Invoice w/Del 22,199.00
    Purchase Price 21,346.97
    Doc Fee 349.00
    Sales tax 6.25% 1,364.53
    Title/Reg/Insp 139.50

OTD 23,200.00

No trade and the price includes the $500 flex cash. Financed 60 months at 1.99%. I was shooting for a few hundred less but they weren't budging. With needing a car, I closed on this. Without the need, I think I could have done better at the end of the month. They also included a complete detail inside and out at a later date. Experience was longer and more difficult than it should have been.
    Thanks,
    just looking at your deal you did just fine. Your below invoice, the flex cash helped reduce your doc fee's.
    You purchased a great car that is few on the lots. If time was on your side you could have contacted more dealers and held out for a few hundred more.

Most people involved here on Edmunds reading these boards learning and taking tips on buying are getting the best deals/ and not getting ripped off.

kindly post the name of the dealership you purchased from.

Have fun with your Accord

Brian

• thawdathawda Member Posts: 17
    I am a newbie in the car sale industry since I just graduated from college last month. I just looked over this forum last night and took a lot of advice from you guys. I have a quote of Honda Accord Ex-L W/O negvi as follow with extended power train warranty till 100k. Do you guys think I should take this deal.

$25,500.00 Valley Honda E-Price
    $199.00 Process Fee
    $60.75 Tags
    $822.37 Tax
    -$500.00 Flex Cash*
    +_____________________
    $26,082.12 Total "Out the door"
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter would like to speak to a couple who recently purchased a family car together. If you and your spouse have kids, purchased a car within the past six months and would like to share your story with a journalist, please send your daytime contact information at pr@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, June 11, 2013 at 2 p.m. PT/5 p.m. ET.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

edited June 2013
    Valley honda, is probably largest selling volume dealer in the midwest.

Without the flex cash and subtracting there doc fee's your buying a few hundred below invoice price. Hold out to the end of June. 500 or so less for your deal should be very do- able. In a couple of weeks were into july already. This model has been out and selling since Nov, 2012.

Do not let dealerships use the flex cash incentive to get you to 800/900 below invoice. Then paying dealers doc fee's... NOT good.. At this time of the year you guys should be looking for at a minimum 500 to 1000 dollars below invoice price... PLUS... flex money if your financing the vehicle thru honda corp.

If i'm buying a Accord this month my target price would be at least 1k below invoice price. I would call and target every dealership that is offering Flex cash and try to make my best deal with those dealerships first. this would make my deal 1500 below dealers invoice price.
    If you cant get this low on pricing then this is your starting point and you work the 1500 number closer to invoice price and make your best deal by the last 2 days, last day of the month. NOT Before unless you hit your mark.

Thanks, Brian. Just want to clarify, the price of $20369 already includes $500 flex cash through Honda finance. I noticed in previous posts, you suggest to shoot for a price $1000 below invoice, then plus $500 flex cash. (For LX since there are enough LX on parking lots). Is that correct? if so, maybe I should wait ?
    There are many Lx models on dealers lots. wait to the end of the month and make your best deal. If you read thru prior postings the lx model is selling alot cheaper than the other models.

Yes 1k plus the flex cash. Honda corp is giving you this cash incentive to finance thru them. Take advantage of this money and dont let any dealer use this money for his advantage and making more off you.

Dear Brain125,
    Your target price mean OTD price? Could you please provide me some advice for how to get to that target? Should I just wait till the last week and try to make a deal during that week?
  • newsienna1newsienna1 Member Posts: 10
    edited June 2013
    Thanks for the input. Car was purchased from Honda Gallery on 6/8. Picked it up this evening, and what a fun car so far. Great model.
    Target price is Before taxes. start last days of the month to buy.

It might not the relevant thread to ask. Since I have already posted here, I will just ask. What is the most demand color and good looking color for Honda accord?
  • sewanee1970sewanee1970 Member Posts: 3
    White
  • bala83bala83 Member Posts: 1
    Any comments on the obsidian blue pearl?
    I was leaning toward Basque Red. How do you guys think?
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    That's what I got, and it gets a lot of compliments. It looks beautiful with the ivory leather. I wanted blue, but it's so dark that it looks black with flecks of blue in it. I wish they had a beautiful blue like the Chevy Cruze or the Mazda. Altima was the same way. Every color was really bland -- white, black, beige -- except for one lovely dark red very similar to the Accord.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • viper36viper36 Member Posts: 5
    Hey guys,

the best "out the door price" that i was able to get was $24,900 for a 2013 Accord EX. I live in PA so sales tax is 6% is this a good deal or not?

Thanks!
    I got my EXL quote for 26 grand. (OTD) I live in VA.
    Hey guys,

Just so i am clear i want to make sure i understand how the pricing scheme works, when you guys say a good deal is to purchase a car for $1000 under invoice does that "invoice price" include the destination fee or not? So lets take an EX model is my target "good price" the actual invoice ($23,247) - $1000 for a total of $22,247 or is the goal price i want to hit the actual invoice + destination fee ($23, 247 + $790= $24,037)- $1000 for a total of $23,037. I am thinking that when you guys refer to "invoice price" it means actual invoice + destination fee am i Correct?

Thanks
  • gene103gene103 Member Posts: 47
    Besides the fact the viper is looking or help on an EX in PA and you are providing a quote for and EXL in VA, an OTD "quote" should be considered an oxymoron. If the car is truly OTD, it's a firm reliable amount. If I had a dollar for every quote people have gotten that eventually proved to be less than the true amount required to purchase the car, I would be driving a Ferrari.
    I got a deal for 25500. Is that good and I should take it now?
    Hey Thawda,

Is that $25,500 out the door or is that before tax, tags, doc fees etc. What state are you in?
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc Member Posts: 699
    Not sure why there is so much confusion about this - yes, destination is a part of the price of a car so it should be included in any calculation you are using when considering whether a quote is accurate or not . Always require the dealer to include destination in any quote and get it in writing so you are not unpleasantly surprised when finalizing the deal. To further clarify, the market for these cars at the moment appears to be about $1000 under invoice (incl dest).
    2016 ES350 Lux/Atomic Silver
    2017 Accord Sport CVT Mod Steel Metallic
    25500 is out the door price including everything(processing fees, tax and tag and so on). I am in Virginia.
    To me that seems like a great deal i am still trying to figure out how that is even possible since the cars invoice is $26,399- 1000 puts you at 25,399 + taxes, doc fees etc. What is your sales tax in VA
    lucky you its 6% here in PA
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc Member Posts: 699
    Try 8% in CA - that's one reason trying to compare "out the door" quotes and pricing is not a good way to figure whether a deal is a good one or not - too much variation in TTL and other fees.
    2016 ES350 Lux/Atomic Silver
    2017 Accord Sport CVT Mod Steel Metallic
  • fields102fields102 Member Posts: 6
    24,900 sounds solid if it includes taxes and fees, dealer fee AND financing costs. If 24,900 doesnt include the interest charges for financing, then no go in my opinion. I posted my EX purchase details a few pages back.
    It might just be a stupid question. I am about to buy a Honda accord EXL 4 cylinder for 25500 and it seems such a good deal to me. Since this is my first car, I do not know much about how dealers work. I am just afraid can dealers give you a lemon car ( some defect cars) and you would be stuck with that. Is that possible or am I just freaking out?
    edited June 2013
    Your Honda vehicle is fully covered for 3yrs , 36,000 miles...bumper to bumper by Honda corp. You also have State lemon laws that protect the consumer.

Things like Tires , Brakes ,Wiper blades would not be covered.

• huskerfan5huskerfan5 Member Posts: 165
    Whether or not you have told the salesman you are a first time buyer, he has probably figured that out. That prices seems very good, even for a savvy negotiator. I will be very surprised if the sales manager signs off on that deal unless you go for some unnecessary or expensive options. Be firm and prepared to walk. (One clue is if you didn't have to work too hard to get $25,500, it probably isn't real.) Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    Actually, I have to emailed and called over 30 dealership. I did some bidding process about that car for over a week. They started to beat each other prices. May I know what you mean by some unnecessary or expensive options?
    Hi all...since I've gotten so much from everyone else, posting the latest.

Original dealer called me back to tell me he had the exact color I wanted coming in and gave me a quote of 250 below invoice. I told him that I had already agreed to purchase from another dealer and at the terms established.

Long story short, he added 500 in flex cash, wheel locks, mats, cargo tray and mud flaps (installed) plus 1 year of maintenance to secure my business. Since I would have purchased all of these things on line (and had the flaps installed) for around 350-400, I figure that saves me another 550 over my previous "best" deal.

So CVT Sport: 22720 - 500 - 22220 + wheel locks, mats, cargo tray and maintenance.
    Exact model and color, fresh from the factory. Never even been test driven. Only fee I'm being charged is 75 for doc.

Based on brian's dead on coaching, I think there is probably another 2-300 $ in there to go get, but since I am particular about color and timing (need to take possession in the next two weeks) I'm starting to feel that I did okay. I should also mention that this dealer is 10 minutes from my house. Other dealers were up to an hour away. A pain if you ever have trouble with the car. This dealer also has stellar satisfaction ratings.

Brian - I'm still interested in what you learn from Staten Island on Thursday on a white sport...just to keep these guys honest. For another 1-200$ I'm not going to sweat it. For 500, I'll have an issue.

Biggest thing I'm having trouble wrapping my head around is the new price delta between the Sport and the LX. Based on this board, what was originally around 1400 OTD is now 2k due to the relative ratio of LXs on the lots vs Sports. I just keep telling myself that what I spend now will partially come back to me in trade in/resale value later. In the meantime, I can enjoy the tighter driving dynamics, much nicer interior and the improved exterior posture of the vehicle. I just won't tell my wife how much more I'm actually spending for 4 extra horsepower ;-)
    Hey Bryan,

I got that Honda for 25500 (OTD). Is that a good deal ?Should I go take it or wait more?
    They might try to sell you paint protection, leather protection, an expensive extended warranty (you can shop for a Honda warranty from another dealer after you make your purchase) etc. They will try to make you feel foolish for not buying add-ons. Don't take it personal, everyone in sales and finance are working on commission. If you drive off in your new Honda after giving them $25.5K, be proud of yourself but I don't think they are going to make it easy for you.
    On this topic...anyone actually find that buying Honda Care was a GOOD financial decision? Generally speaking, we buy Honda's as they are reliable vehicles and Honda is selling warranty coverage as a fat margin upsell. If they weren't profitable for them, they wouldn't offer them.

I've also heard that people have had difficulty making them pay for repairs. This is my thinking going in...to simply decline. Am I stupid?
    Should I buy those extended warranty?? What kind of warranty are good?
    edited June 2013
    Buyer

Take the deal. its 10 mins from your house..
    I can tell you getting you 500 below invoice price on your model plus flex cash is 100% do-able.
    If you want to travel 1 hour in light traffic to me i'll make it happen saving you 250 dollars.

If you want to wait till the end of June you most likely will save more.
    your model is a harder buy due to supply and demand.

I suggest if your not going to call or email about 30 dealerships the last days of June... to take the offer from your mentioned dealership. No dealer is going to give you much better than 500 dollars below invoice on June 10th.

Make dealer closest to your house sweat it out......tell them your buying at the end of the month. You have lower offers.. I would think you could knock off a couple off hundred more.

You play the game at month's End.

Thawda,

Good price go for it.. Stay away from anything the dealer wants to sell you. Just say thankyou No ,No ,NO

Huskerfan has posted some good advice re read what he has said and go get your Accord. Let us know how you did..

Thanks Brian.

Thawda, I did a search for EXL, OTD, and VA. Seems like someone paid $26.1K in May so with flex cash, the $25.5K may be possible. Hold firm but don't be surprised if the sales manager says that salesman made a mistake and you can't do the deal at the price. He will counter offer. If it is not a lot more, make a counter offer yourself. If it is a lot more, just start walking out and keep walking unless he comes back with a more reasonable offer, then start negotiating again. It's not a contest to get the lowest price in this forum, you just want to get a good deal and if you have to go a little above $25.5K you're still doing good, especially at this time of the month
    I wasn't going with valley Honda anymore. Another dealership has beaten their price with OTD 25.5k. I have not asked them the detailed pricing from theirs. They just said the OTD since I only told them it is a deal if they could give me 25.5k .