Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    pjl52pjl52 Member Posts: 26
    Today Toyota announced a $1000 rebate per Camry sold for cash. Does anyone expect Honda to respond in kind?

Phil
  • Options
    zazizazi Member Posts: 5
    I just got a deal @ Prime Honda West-Roxbury MA.

Honda Accord EX 2013

$22000 - $500 Insurance = $21500

+ 1343.75 Tax + $480 Fee OTD = $23323.75
  • Options
    Honda Accord EX 2013

$22000 - 500 = $21500

OTD 21500 + 1343.75 Tax + 480 Fee = $23323.75
  • Options
    Great info!

Some questions:

What is the insurance cost reduction (-500$) about??
    Did you finance the car?
    Was flex cash involved?
    What color did you buy (perhaps some colors are slow movers)?

Thanks,

Phil
  • Options
    -500 was Flex Cash reduction

I finance and I choose Champagne!
  • Options
    happyman6happyman6 Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone bought 2013 Honda Accord EXL 4dr Sedan in syracuse or upperstate of New York recently? Could you please tell me your OTD price and your dealer if you got a good deal? Thanks!
  • Options
    Great color and great price.

You lucky guy!

Did you need to search many dealers to get this price? I am after the same deal, so if you could suggest dealers that would be great.

p
  • Options
    spratmanspratman Member Posts: 28
    Does anyone know if it's a good idea to buy during the 4th of July holiday as opposed to the end of the month?
  • Options
    brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    If your sure of make, model and target price its worth a shot.

Buying at the End of the month wil give you best possible deal from dealerships.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• Options
    rossm1rossm1 Member Posts: 14
    That a great deal, can you email me info of the person that you bought your car from
    Thanks

Ross
  • Options
    rogrdat321rogrdat321 Member Posts: 3
    Here is the offer from a Dealer over the phone for an 2013 EX-L Accord:

EX-L w/o Navigation: $24,989
    Doc Fees : $ 699
    Title : $ 179
    Tax (3%) : $ 750
    -----------------------------------------
    Total OTD Price : $ 26,617

What do you think?
  • Options
    Could you also privately email me the name of the salesperson? thanks,
    Phil
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    This dealers 699 doc fee is a killer. Puts your deal at 700 below invoice.

Hold out til Sun/ Mon, and tell every dealer 1000 below gets it done. Otherwise make the 699 dealership split his cost with you bringing your buying number at 1000 below invoice. Be firm you will hit your target price.

I'm assuming your in N.C. or Florida there are many dealerships to call.

• Options
    Hi Brian

A dumb question. Monday is the 1st of July. Aren't the last two days this month Saturday and Sunday, and ought not these be the target days?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for your help!

Phil
  • Options
    What ever the last 2 days of any month falls on should be your targeted buying days.

• Options
    lavjrlavjr Member Posts: 18
    Guys I got the following offer, is it good please?

2013 Honda Accord EX Sedan
    Selling Price 22605
    American Honda Finance 790
    Cash Difference 23395
    W.T.& L.A 6.5
    Electronic Fee 89.95
    Dealer Fees 699
    Total Taxable Amt 24190.45
    Lemon Law 2
    Dade Cty Tax 50
    Sales Tax 1,451.43
    Tag Fee tbd
    Sub-Total 25,693.88

Thank you,
  • Options
    Your deal is same as post 29960

• Options
    what's American Honda Finance 790 ????
  • Options
    lavjrlavjr Member Posts: 18
    I'm assuming it's destination fee.
  • Options
    The discussions are not that clear about the role of flex cash in the 1000 discount off of invoice. Are you broadly suggesting that one can get 1000 off invoice and get 500 in flex cash?

Clearly lavy has gotten such a deal in Roxbury for an EX, but i see few others pulling this off.

What is your advice. ? It is important to realize what is possible and what is not in negotiations. I am a bit leery of opening with a demand of 1000off invoice plus 500 cash, as being unrealizable.

Thanks,

Phl
  • Options
    huskerfan5huskerfan5 Member Posts: 165
    No, he posted on the lease forum too. That's the $595 lease inception fee that the dealer marked up.
  • Options
    I erred, I meant zazi's purchase in the Boston Area as described in message #29967 Is the 1000$ off invoice plus an additional 500$ flex cash possible?

Phil
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Phil,
    You need to figure out a target price and go buy your Accord. Stop worrying about other post and deals. Unnecessary posts are flooding this forum.
    500 to 1200 below invoice is your target price depending on your region and model. That price EXCLUDES any rebates and incentives due to the buyer. i'm sure if you read this forum back 3 or 4 months you should be ready to buy.

Flex Cash is a 500 dollar rebate to you for financing thru the Honda Corp. that amount is taken off your total bill.

I think i pretty much covered everything in this post for you.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Today and Tomm, Call / visit as many dealerships until you feel you made your best possible deal. Take your models invoice price add the dest charge onto that number.
    Then minus your target price. lets say 1000 below dealers invoice. Dealers doc fee's that are high have to be re-adjusted into your buy price to counter that charge. Know each dealerships doc fee's before you make them your offer. ASK every dealership!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have the most leverage and will get the best deal today or tomm if dealerships know your ready to buy. Dealerships that are looking for those sales numbers are less inclined to play games and are ready to deal there inventory cheaper than in the beginning or middle of the month.

I always recommend nailing down your targeted price thru the internet sales manager and holding sale purchase with a refundable credit card deposit just in case he cant delivery on his promise. If you are one of these people who cant negotiate via phone........................ visit those showrooms.

Good luck

• Options
    mycar6886mycar6886 Member Posts: 9
    edited June 2013
    Brian, seems like the dealers on Long Island are hard to negotiate even today is the end of month, couldn't get $1000 below invoice for lx (exclude 500 flex cash)
  • Options
    If L.I is where you want to purchase make the best deal today or tomm. You should be calling dealerships in the 5 boro's also for pricing.

• Options
    I also had no real luck upstate NY where I live. Basically the best was a couple of hundred below invoice plus flex cash (which is not too bad).

Try New Rochelle Honda (One of Brian's recommendations to me.) I am in the midst of finalizing a deal: 1000 off of list, but no flex cash for an Accord EX sedan, 4 cylinder, auto.

If you want to travel, try the place that zazi had a great deal from (in Roxbury MA). I think they could offer an even better deal than mine (but probably not the 2000 off list that zazi claims) as a salesperson "Alex" told me 1000 off was their usual price. They also seem hungry to sell cars.

My details to follow when the deal is done.

Good luck to all.
  • Options
    mycar6886mycar6886 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks Brian and Pjl, may try tomorrow to see what will happen
  • Options
    Call New Rochelle internet Sales mgr.

Tell them you buy today for 1 k below plus any flex cash if you finance thru them. People are saying that there internet e- price quotes are almost 1 k below on Lx models.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    phil,

your last post i dont understand your wording on your deal

Is your deal 1000 below invoice or 1000 off msrp
    if its the ladder walk away thats not a good deal.

Did you contact Friendly honda up by you for pricing that dealership is a high volume dealer.

Brian

• Options
    Not to worry: you are a good teacher: My price was 1000 below invoice.

Yes, I called Friendly. I recall I talked to someone who took a message for the internet manager. But no one ever called back.

One error I made is the following: in less competitive markets (I guess all dealers not in large metro areas), the dealers do not "deal". I wasted a lot of time calling dealers in Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse. They made offers I knew I could beat, played dumb about flex cash, etc., etc. Next time I won't bother and just plan to search in NYC or Boston areas.

The only attractive offer I received up till yesterday late afternoon was from Rochelle, for the deal I described. So, I basically grabbed it. I was tired of talking to salespeople.

One thing I learned is that it is a waste of time talking to salespeople who do not usually do internet sales-- basically they went through their patter and knew less than I did. One thing that I learned that might be of interest to you is that for many dealerships, the "internet sales person" is off on Fridays, and one gets to waste their time with a regular salesperson.

I did talk to Rich S at Yonkers who was very nice but would only offer 500 off and no flex cash.

Thanks for all your help Brian! I hope to share what I learned in this process with others in a longer commentary when the deal is done and I have the car.

(BTW: I got my preferred color-"Champagne".)

Phil
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Just from this buying experience you have learned alot. Your next new car purchase will be easier.

Buying a new vehicle is hard enough from these slim ball dealerships with there lies and trick tactics. Knowing how and when to buy is the key to getting best possible price and leverage with them..

2 things you mentioned is very true

1- Never deal with a salesperson on the phone its wasted time . A Salesperson is in no position to making decision on price. Always cut the middleman out.
    2- Small dealerships Do not deal like the big boys. You hit them up on the last days of the month. Otherwise Wasted time.

Phil take this advice for the next time. it will save you valuable time in the buying game .

Target 20/ 30 dealerships before you buy.
    Call all 1 week before the end of the month and ask the dealerships phone person for the name, number and email of the internet manager. Start making your calls, emails and negotiations at the end of the month with these managers. Any Inter. Mgr that is not on his game with knowing price and what he could sell vehicle for to you simply cross that dealership off your list and move on.

Never play stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!! stay in control of negotiations. Telling all dealers
    I'm buying today this is what i want /meet my price of xxx for this model and i will hold sale with a credit card deposit.

Post your deal tomm. Good luck.

• Options
    mick0025mick0025 Member Posts: 1
    Purchased June 28 in NJ

Price with destination $20,809
    Doc Fee $249
    Wheel Locks $0
    American Honda Credit -$500
    Total $20,558 before taxes
  • Options
    3amadors3amadors Member Posts: 10
    edited June 2013
    Thanks all for the posts which were helpful. I purchased a Blue Ex-l Sedan with Nav in Richmond, VA with no additional add ons/options for $27,500 OTD. When I subtracted the proc/tax/tags the price was $26,150. The invoice price was $28,223. There were two dealers that I worked with and I chose the closest one (both within 50 miles). All communication was done via e-mail through the internet mgr. or internet sales person before I did my final round of negotiation.

The info from these posts definitely helped and I hope the info I posted may help someone.

Mario
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Dealerships needing sales incentives numbers today make sure you leave no money on the table. Close the deal... Any added accessories you want tell dealer you want for dealers invoice price. Mats , Cargo tray , Splash guards etc.. Work 2 or 3 oil changes in the mix/ Free car washes. What ever you can to sweeten your deal. You have all the leverage today.

And lastly treat yourself... Drink the coffee and take a donut, and one for a friend.............LOL...

• Options
    hondafan1434hondafan1434 Member Posts: 1
    First and foremost, thank you to everyone for contributing to this board. Helped me a great deal in determining market price.

Purchased Honda Accord EX Sedan in Houston TX on 6/29

Selling Price: $23,686
    Tax (6.25%): $1480
    All Fees: $334
    Flex Cash: -$500
    -------------------------------
    Total Drive Out: $25000 + 2 years oil change

Probably not the best, but oh well. I would recommend Abraham at Spring Branch Honda if anyone in the area is in the market.
  • Options
    Thanks Brian,

All in all I was pleased with the deal I received. I probably could have gotten a few add-ons thrown in at the last minute and maybe a dozen donuts (he-he) but I was a bit worn from the whole process.

I'm satisfied that I got the car I wanted for what I could afford to pay and highly recommend to anyone in the market considering a 2013 Accord to read through the posts.
  • Options
    Glad it worked out. Enjoy your new Accord.

• Options
    rsvrrsvr Member Posts: 21
    Hello Everyone,

I was able to sell my old car on craigslist for $1000 more than what Honda Dealership offered. So I'm ready to buy a new accord sport.
    $22,499 was the best the dealership could do, the price includes warranty forever, flex cash, destination, mats, trunk mat, splash guards and wheel locks. This deal was offered when I wanted to trade in my 2003 toyota avalon with 102K miles.
    But since I sold the car separately, can I get a better deal than that? I checked with three other dealers and none of them matched their price. Should I go for it?
    Also, what is the invoice price on Sport and EX-L? If I decide to go with EX-L, what should my target price be?

Thanks all, appreciate the help.
  • Options
    Yes you can Especially today.. Read prior posts and apply it to your deal.
    Prices can be found on Edmunds home page under new cars/ models.

• Options
    huskerfan5huskerfan5 Member Posts: 165
    Keep in mind, you just totally changed the economic transaction for the dealer. He was giving you $X for your Avalon, expecting to sell it for $X + $Y. You just took the profit of $Y out of the deal, so don't expect him to honor the $22,499. That's probably the reason why no one will match and the reason why the original dealer will give you some excuse why the $22,499 is no longer available.
  • Options
    4myfamily4myfamily Member Posts: 16
    Mario, congrats

can you list the two dealers you worked with? Thanks !

All, please list the name of the dealer along withe price paid so we can all benefit.

Thank you!
  • Options
    $22,499 w/o trade (if possible) and extra's the dealer is giving sounds really good. Before I got mine (exl w/nav) I was quoted $21.9 on the Sport. The warranty and accessories make your price very attractive. Good luck!

Mario
  • Options
    Here are the dealers.

I ended up purchasing the car from Colonial Honda in Chesterfield VA.

1) Colonial Honda (Chesterfield, VA)

Price - $26,694.65
    Minus Flex Cash - $500
    Tot. Price of Car - $26,194.65

Plus -

Proc - $379
    Tax - $812.21
    Lic. Tax - $53.39
    Plates Fees - $60.75

OTD PRICE = $27,500

Second Dealer

Pohanka Honda, Fredericksburg VA

OTD Price Quote = $27,998
    (I didn't proceed negotiating because they were further away, but I felt they would have matched or bettered the price I paid by a bit.

PS - Pohanka was easier to deal with over the phone than Colonial Honda in my case (ask for Brenda).

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    rsvrrsvr Member Posts: 21
    Mario, Brian and huskerfan5,

Thanks for your replies. The dealership will still sell the car for $22,499 without the trade and that is how I negotiated initially. I will get with them on Monday and try to get it for $22,000. Don't know if that's the right thing to do, I think they are already pretty close to the best deal I have seen on this forum.

Mario,

I guess I'm in the same boat as you were. I prefer the dual exhaust, 18" wheels and paddle shifters in the sport but the EX-l offers quite a bit more features that I would like. Not sure which one to go with? May I know what made you go with EX-L instead of Sport?

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Yes, I agree that the sport has the wheels, a little extra horsepower due to dual exhaust and a slightly stiffer suspension and it was the trim I first looked at. What swayed me to the higher trim levels is that in the long run I would be happier with the extra features - better stereo, leather, moonroof, etc., plus the additional safety features were important to me (lane departure and front collision warning.

At all trim levels, Honda does offer a lot. I do the feel the Nav is overpriced, but this was offset alot by the price I paid for my car. PS- Pohanka also was offering a very good price on the EX-L.

FYI - Pohanka's quote to me on an EX-L CVT was $24,899 plus proc, tax and fees...that was before I decided on the one with NAV.

Eitherway, I think you'll be happy - this year's Honda is a really good product and value.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    I'm with you guys, that the Sport definitely has the look, but 2 things I love on the EX are the moonroof & lane watch.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Mario, Brian and huskerfan5,

Thanks for your replies. The dealership will still sell the car for $22,499 without the trade and that is how I negotiated initially. I will get with them on Monday and try to get it for $22,000. Don't know if that's the right thing to do, I think they are already pretty close to the best deal I have seen on this forum.

Mario,

I guess I'm in the same boat as you were. I prefer the dual exhaust, 18" wheels and paddle shifters in the sport but the EX-l offers quite a bit more features that I would like. Not sure which one to go with? May I know what made you go with EX-L instead of Sport?

Thanks!

You may find, come today, that since it is no longer the month of June, they are not going to not only negotiate more, but may not even honor the original price.

Read up on "buyng at the end of the month" and in tis particular case, timing is everything.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Blue,

Very good points. If his numbers are 800 plus below invoice price dealership most likely will decline original offer. Lets hope not.

I tried to help Mike from Long island out with his Accord sport 6m. New Rochelle was at 600 below invoice with splash guards, and trunk mat, included on june 15th. Dealer told me that this car could be had june 30th for 800 below invoice depending on there sales numbers.. the 800 below would be Rochelle's Bottom line price. Today July 1st you could bet there asking price is back at 500 below invoice for some people and closer to invoice for most.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    Hey Brian125 - I've actually been lurking here for a few weeks. I won't be making a purchase until next September (Most likely Labor Day Weekend). You are giving out some fantastic advice. One of the reasons it is so easy to negotiate a good price on Hondas (especially in high competition areas) is that you basically just pick your trim level, color, & transmission. There are no options so the cars are all the same.

I also think it is great that you are "in the neighborhood" and have a pulse on what's going on at the tri state dealers. I live in Stamford, CT & work in The Bronx, so I'm willing to travel to Westchester, LI, Rockland, or CT to get the best deal.

I believe that many times the "end of the month" for a car dealer (as far as their sales numbers go) does not correspond to the actual last day of the month. Sometimes an automaker will "hold" leasing and financing programs over especially in the case of Memorial Day, Labor Day, & 4th of July. For instance, June leasing & financing programs end 7/8/13. I also heard that new programs start on Mondays, so July incentives would run until August 5th.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD