Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• bluemkn57carsbluemkn57cars Member Posts: 1,009
    edited July 2013
    The dealer is Commonwealth Honda in Lawrence.

As I stated in my previous posts, the price is $25,500 with an extra discount of $500 if I finance through HFS. You could call it Flex cash, which is on a first come first serve basis. Hence, a final sale price of $25,000.

Are you in the market for an EX-L? What are some of the sales quotes you have received from dealerships?
    2021 Audi A6 P+2018 Audi A4 P+ (lease returned)2013 Honda Accord EX-L (Sold)
  • rsvrrsvr Member Posts: 21
    I'm in the market for a Sport but I also tried to get a good deal on the EXL w/o. None of the dealers here would go below $27k. I said I was ready to sign the papers for $26k but none of them accepted. So I just decided to stick with Sport CVT for $22k.
    edited July 2013
    Where are you located? Was the price you were quoted for a V6 model or a 4 cylinder, cos $27k sounds kind of high for a 4 cylinder.

I had contacted the following dealerships for their internet sale pricing on the EX-L:

Herb Chambers Boston/Burlington
    Honda Gallery in Reading
    Honda North in Danvers
    Honda Cars of Boston in Everett
    Honda Weymouth

All their prices were around $25.5k including destination fees. Most dealers did not want to budge on the price. A few offered Honda Flex cash, only after I asked about incentives.

How do you like the Sport model?
    One dealer told me I couldn't get the EX-L for less than $25k and tried to sell me the sport model. I politely declined since I wanted a sunroof, upgraded sound system, and the safety features of the EX-L.

I am going to reach out to a few dealers towards the end of the month and see if their price has gone down. If not, I will just wait till next month or when the 2014 models are released.
    I live in Joplin, MO. Called lots of dealers within 200 miles but none of them offered EXL 4 cylinder for $25k. I'll be surprised if you get any better deal than what you are being offered now.
    My Sport is at the dealership, thinking of taking the delivery on Monday. I think I'm getting a pretty good deal on the Sport but would like to have the features on EXL. It's just that I cant swing $27k.
    Did you try getting internet sales quote on the EX-L instead of calling the dealers?

One dealer I contacted stated they were only making $100 on the sale, so they were not going to budge on the price of $25.5k. I am not sure if I believe them since we (consumers) do not know how much dealer holdback they will be receiving from Honda.

If I were in your shoes, I would wait a few more days till the end of the month and contact some of the dealers close to you again and make them a counteroffer and see if they will budge on the EX-L.

I hear you. $27k is high for an EX-L 4 cylinder.
  • nick5413nick5413 Member Posts: 2
    First time car buyer here. I'm looking to buy a 2013 Accord LX in OC, CA
    probably around late August and early September. Can somebody give me tips/advice
    on what I should shoot for in terms of OTD? thinking about paying 10k in cash and finance the
    rest. any thoughts on financing? Thanks in advance
  • wayne21wayne21 Member Posts: 259
    One dealer I contacted stated they were only making $100 on the sale, so they were not going to budge on the price of $25.5k. I am not sure if I believe them since we (consumers) do not know how much dealer holdback they will be receiving from Honda.

Car salesman are notorious for not telling the truth. IF all dealers pay the same for the car the guy is not telling the truth. The 2013 4 cyl EXL can be bought on the USAA website in my area for $24,200 and I'm certain nobody is losing money on that deal. I'd suggest you keep trying... remember, if you buy a 2013 today, in a month or so you will be driving a one year old car.
  • juliankryejuliankrye Member Posts: 52
    Not to call you out wayne21, but just checked USAA website, and for North Jersey it is almost 26K, higher than what I have been quoted by local dealers for the EXL 4cyl.

What area are you in, for 2K heck I will catch a one way flight. Thanks Julian
    edited July 2013
    Hi all,

Is it me or would anyone else love to see the following on the 2014 honda accord sedan:

1. Factory Leather Option on the Sport Sedan version, seems to be one of the most looked after trims, however no leather for me has been a turn-off.
    2. 18 inch sport RIMS on the Sport trim would look really nice on the EXL 4 Cyl, thoughts? Current 17 inch rims not too pleasing compared to the Sport version.

Looking forward to 2014, if not 2016.
    Cheers you all, Julian
    I am not a USAA member and neither me nor my spouse has served in the military, so I am not even going to dream about that price.

I have been debating on whether to wait till the end of next month for deals on the EX-L. How much lower would dealers go on the 2013 models, once 2014 models have been released?

Brian, any ideas?

I do not want to buy at the end of this month if I could have saved an extra $1000+ if I had waited an extra month.
  • spratmanspratman Member Posts: 28
    Went to Crest Honda in Nashville this weekend. If anyone is interested in a white ex-l sedan V6 without navigation they have one listed at $1,100 below invoice including doc fee. Wanted to bring this up simply because anyone can get this vehicle at this price. In other words, in case someone is reading this forum and isn't comfortable with haggling, this would be the way to go.

We almost purchased it but we really want a different color. Our salesman is Bruce and I like him so please ask for him and tell him spratman sent you his way!

You can find additional info here http://www.cresthonda.com/new/Honda/2013-Honda-Accord-nashville-71d3c66d0a0a0002- 0061a2e7e462c658.htm
    edited July 2013
    Not to call you out wayne21, but just checked USAA website, and for North Jersey it is almost 26K, higher than what I have been quoted by local dealers for the EXL 4cyl.

Zipcode 32173 ($24,249)
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc Member Posts: 699
    Julian - keep in mind that in most cases, you'll be able to negotiate a better deal than the buying services. Most private buyers who know how to buy a car consistently do better than edmunds TMV, cars direct, truecar, etc. (by the way, been a USAA member for many years, so I'm not trying to bad mouth them in any way).

Bill G
    2016 ES350 Lux/Atomic Silver
    2017 Accord Sport CVT Mod Steel Metallic
  • owned3hondasowned3hondas Member Posts: 41
    edited July 2013
    Yes he is lying big time! They would not be able to stay in business, otherwise.

Maybe that's his commission? Tell him to get a new job!
    Car salesmen for some reason unbeknownst to me just seem to think they're smarter than anyone else. I agree that the guy is full of it. If you really want to know how much money was made on the car it's pretty easy to get a good idea. If you tried to sell your car the instant you pulled it off the lot, the difference between the amount you could get and the amount you paid is pretty close to how much was made on the car. The market works pretty well.
  • hammerhead14hammerhead14 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2013
    For the Accord EX-L Sedan with Navigation, the breakdown is as follows:

Hi,
    I like the Nav! LOL, the prices in NJ are not that great. Let me know what incentives and prices you are seeing. I am ready to buy last week of the month!
    Thanks

Davis Honda, Burlington NJ
    $27,473 Dealer Price
    $425 Deck lip spoiler
    $139 Trunk tray
    $1,963 NJ Sales Tax (7%)
    $299 DMV Fee
    $298.50 Documentation Fee
    $7.50 Tire Tax
    $10.00 Internet Processing Fee
    edited July 2013
    Actually have confirmed the price that wayne21 noted in earlier post to be correct for the zip code he provided 32173, I guess different regional pricing down in Florida for that area. Definitely worth a flight and drive up if I was in the market, hopefully same prices become available up in the north east soon.

Side note, I do wonder if that price would be honored, should I test it out, thoughts?

LX Manual quoted for 18,883 also.

regards,
    Julian

Just to add, after inputting my information on the website, I got the following info on the next screen. it was interesting to see how far from the zip code used these dealers are when there are multiple dealers in the same zip code or within 5 mile radius. I ultimately think this is bogus prices.

Step 2: Select Your Dealers

Certified Dealer
    Learn more

BONUS – DEALER EXTRAS:
    Express Checkout Available
    Oil Changes
    Delivery Available
    ESTIMATED USAA PRICE ‡
    $24,949
    An estimated savings of $3,836 off MSRP
    43.6 MILES FROM 32173

Certified Dealer
    Learn more

BONUS – DEALER EXTRAS:
    Car Wash
    Delivery Available
    ESTIMATED USAA PRICE ‡
    $24,249
    An estimated savings of $4,536 off MSRP
    71.3 MILES FROM 32173

Certified Dealer
    Learn more

BONUS – DEALER EXTRAS:
    Car Wash
    Delivery Available
    ESTIMATED USAA PRICE ‡
    $24,298
    An estimated savings of $4,487 off MSRP
    82.3 MILES FROM 32173
  • texashonda1texashonda1 Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2013
    I have requested 4 quotes via email and have received the following two thus far. The other two dealers want me to call or visit in person but, but hoping they will email quotes at some point.

Would welcome any advice on negotiating form here. The first dealer is about 70 miles away and includes the trunk tray and window tinting (must have) while the second quote does not include.

I have told both that I would like to make a purchase near the end of the month. I do not plan to finance, but have not told them.

Thanks.

2013 Honda Accord EXL 4cly
    Sale price is $26,999
    Tax adds 1742.98
    Lic/Reg/Doc adds 246

Total out the door cash price is $28,987
    this price includes window tint, splash guards, wheel locks and a trunk tray at no extra charge

2013 White EXL Accord 4 cyl.
    Sales price: $26,943
    Govt fee: $126
    Taxes: $1738.25
    Document Fee: $125
    Total Price: $28,932.25
    Tint: price based on kind you select
  • azshohanazshohan Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2013
    Hi all,
    I have been using a car for last 2 years. Recently, I have chosen a new one to buy. So, I want to sell my old car. Now, I am in search of a car selling help agency. One told me that How to maintain the value of your vehicle. Can you provide the correct path?
    edited July 2013
    Actually have confirmed the price that wayne21 noted in earlier post to be correct for the zip code he provided 32173, I guess different regional pricing down in Florida for that area. Definitely worth a flight and drive up if I was in the market, hopefully same prices become available up in the north east soon.

Actually, Julian, what gmanusmc said was correct - you can beat USAAs prices. Case in point for me - in 2010 we bought a new venza via USAA. We drove 150 miles to get it as no one local was near their price. We later met someone in a nearby town who bought the same car (a 6 cyl venza) for much less. We bought ours for $1200 under invoice only to learn that with good bargaining skills the car was bought one month later for $1700 below invoice. But to be honest, it was worth the extra $500 not to take the brutal beating in the dealership and just do it online.
    Agreed, I was using that to gauge prices offered here in North Jersey, however no plans of using the service. At the beginning of June I got the following quotes from one of the dealers here in the North Jersey:

Accord EXL 4-cyl 25.5K, + $500 financing w/Honda
    Accord EXL 4-cyl w/NAV 27.2K, + $500 for financing w/Honda
    **They do charge 299 doc fee + doc and registration/plates.

After comparing USAA prices with what I was offered 2 weeks ago, they aren't much better.

24.5K for EXL 4 Cyl Accord should be doable now, come end of August better pricing should be available just like last year. Too bad my 2012 SE has only 12K and I can't get a good trade-in value, that said I guess I will keep adding a few more miles to it for now.

Cheers everyone, Julian

P.S. If anyone is in North Jersey and needs any assistance don't hesitate to contact me. I have helped a lot of friends and relatives got some sick deals during the last few years.
    These prices are really high, I am curious to see how much it costs to ship a car to Texas from North East or Florida, can you save some $$$.

Also if you get a sales order faxed from a remote dealer, maybe you can use to negotiate a better deal locally, have you tried that, try Weymouth Honda in MA, they will email you a quote will detailed pricing and use that with your local dealers.

Best of luck, JUlian
  • heynow76heynow76 Member Posts: 2
    I completely agree on your first point. However, I don't think Honda is going to offer leather in the Sport....ever. They would lose money on people jumping to the EX-L. I am in the market now for a Sport and would probably pay $2000 for leather and heated seats. It just doens't look like it's going to happen. Maybe I'm wrong....

The different trims should offer different wheels, in my opinion. I still can't believe the top level Touring wheels are the same as the EX. That is awful and ridiculous at the same time.
  • huskerfan5huskerfan5 Member Posts: 165
    Brian must be out on the golf course or sleeping late today, or he would probably tell you to send those emails at the end of the month when the dealer is more apt to deal and letting them know you will buy that day. In their eyes, telling them today that you may buy at the end of the month just makes you a shopper, not a buyer. While it is probably more advantageous if you wait till the end of the month, you would have probably have gotten a better quote if you said you would buy today.
    Julian,

I live in Massachusetts, and I received similar quotes for the EX-L from several dealers in my area.

Do you think deals can be made at end of this month, or should I wait towards the end of August when the 2014 models are set to be released?

How much of a deal would I be able to negotiate? I do not want to pay more than $24.5k, if possible.

Thanks,
    Michael
    It is really hard to gauge, may be close to what you willing to pay or it could be better. It will depend on a number of factors, inventory being one of them, but also how aggressive Honda wants to be overall. Last certain dealers will let a few cars go just to meet their numbers, and that is when customers really win.

What I would suggest from experience, if you want to get a 2013, August would be the best timing. Do not go to the dealer on a weekend though, they are busy as hell and you will not get their attention. Also the price quoted is never the best price. I have walked out many times of the dealerships just to be pulled back in and make the deal that I wanted happen.

The Accord SE I bought last August, I was asked to make a reasonable buy offer, which was almost 22% off MSRP in my case, but it got me the deal. I don't think such a discount will be available on the 2013s, but a 15% to 18% discount I think will be soon, on certain trims.

I am helping a friend get a CRV as well, and yes we're waiting till end of August, at which point I think Honda will increase their dealer holdbacks and other incentives, my prediction.

Cheers, Julian
    edited July 2013
    Thanks for the advice, Julian.

I might email a couple of dealers at the end of this month with my offer and see if they bite.

Worse case, I will wait till the end of August and try again.
    edited July 2013
    Weymouth Honda quoted me a sales price of $25,519 including $790 destination fee for the EX-L, about a week ago.

Their documentation fee is $239 and registration fee is $125. Their fees are one of lowest I have seen in MA.

Good luck with your search.
  • fastjfastj Member Posts: 4
    I've been shopping in the Austin area a bit via email. Best price I got for an Ex-L in the area was $26,150 + ttl. This was from Honda of San Marcos and included a limited lifetime power train warranty. I have not countered them yet.

I also got a quote from a DFW area dealer (Autonation in Lewisville). $25,771.

None of these prices include the add ons that you want. Just an Ex-L.
  • jmaxejmaxe Member Posts: 198
    The Central Texas market is hot right now and dealers do not have to offer deep discounts on the Accord.
  • mctrees02mctrees02 Member Posts: 27
    In DFW, I have multiple quotes at 25.5k on EX-L w/o NAV so don't be afraid to make the short drive north.
    edited July 2013
    Hello everybody,

This forum helped me get a pretty good deal on an Accord Sport CVT. I thought of waiting for 2014 but if you read my other posts, you will know why I couldn't and one more important thing was I just couldn't swing anymore than what I paid for this model. So here are all the details...

Dealership: ROPER HONDA
    Dealership Experience: POOR to BAD

Model: 2013 Honda Accord Sport CVT
    Color: Black on black

Price: $22,499 (but will be paying tax on $22,800, yes I know...I will get to it later)
    Payment type: Financed @ 1.9% APR

What's included: Application fee, destination and handling, warranty forever, trunk tray, floor mats, splash guards, wheel locks and free oil change.

I just want to share my delivery experience on the day I bought the car...
    Went to the dealership at around noon yesterday and after greet and meet, asked the salesman if the car has been detailed yet so that I could inspect it before I sign the papers. I was informed that they will not be detailing the car as I rejected the last car that was detailed but had a scratch on the hood. It was sketchy as if they were trying to hide any blemish on the car and I asked if I could get my $500 deposit back and then the sales guy offered to wipe down the car with a towel for me but couldn't get it detailed as the order came from the higher management. I saw the car previous day and it had hundreds of bugs on it and asked how I could inspect it with all those bugs? He said he just couldn't get it detailed. I wanted to walk out but didn't, as I didn't want to go thru all this experience from another dealer.
    I was losing it and just didn't want my first brand new car buying experience to be bad so signed the papers and I was surprised to see that the sale price was $22,800. I asked him to change it to $22,499 but was told that the tax on it would be less than a dinner at "long horns"... I just gave up and went out to take a look at the car. It didn't have the wheel locks on it, so when I asked the salesman he went inside and got me wheel locks in retail packaging and I asked him if they were going to install it and I was told that they will have to charge me for it???? The deal was dealer installed accessories! Once behind the driving wheel, I noticed the tank was more than a half empty. What happened to that full tank of gas when you buy a brand new car?
    So overall, the buying experience was really bad. I would never buy another car from them again. But on the flip side the car is amazing. We love it! I just wish the buying experience was better.

So what I learnt from this experience and what everyone looking to buy a car should know,

1. Never put down a deposit, even if they had to bring the car from a dealership.
    2. Never trust anything what the salesman says.
    3. Make sure you pay tax only on the actual amount you pay.
    4. Make sure all the accessories are installed before you sign the papers.
    5. Get quotes from multiple dealers, as Brian says at the end of the month, and get it on paper before you drive to that dealership.

Good Luck and drive safe!
    I am at a loss for words - with all the excellent advice available on this forum, I am flabbergasted that you took delivery of this vehicle after receiving such shoddy treatment from such an unprofessional organization. I hope all goes well for you - hopefully you were able to wash your car to see if everything was ok.
    Wow.

Take care,

Bill G
  • couponmarkcouponmark Member Posts: 1
    Hello all,

I have been lurking for a while. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the following deal:

2013 Honda Accord Sport (MT)
    $21,350 (selling price, includes $500 flex cash)
    $179 (service fee)
    $174 (reg/new plates)
    $1114 (WI 5.1% sales tax)
    --------------
    $22,817 (Out the door)

The deal includes trunk tray, wheel locks, and mud guards.
    Should I pull the trigger, or try for a better deal on the last day of the month?
    Thanks,
    couponmark
    It's a pretty good deal. I would go for it.
    Bill,
    They did detail the car as I was signing the papers. I couldn't find any blemish or scratch this time. It looked pretty good.
    Thanks for your concern.
    Bill,

This forum has been a source of valuable information for me since I joined less than a month ago.

I've had my fair share of not so great dealer experiences in the past few weeks. I am hoping that my purchase experience would be a good one.
    Hi,

I won't say that everyone will have the same experience, however it is always a good idea to check dealer ratings in your area, start by doing a google search "dealer rater".

Good luck, Julian
    Julian,

You are correct. I have checked out dealer ratings for reviews on Honda dealerships in my area. Most have very good ratings, but I am usually interested in reading the bad reviews.

At the end of the day, it is all about the sales person, manager, finance guy and any other staff you deal with on the day of the transaction.

I had to cross out 3 dealerships earlier on in my car search process due to the way I was treated in person and on the phone. They all had good dealer ratings.
    Unfortunately, since anyone can post to dealerrater.com, it has become useless.
    It was helpful years ago, but then the dealers caught on.
    1. Years ago, I checked the ratings for a Hyundai dealer whose ads seemed to indicate they were almost giving cars aways. Sure enough, the ratings were terrible since people were greatly disappointed after visiting the dealer but not any more. Despite the same ads, the ratings are now fantastic.
    2. At the Honda dealer closest to me, there is one salesman whose customers have had the same exact experience multiple times, just the name and dates are different. He doesn't even take time to re-word it.
    3. My all time favorite. Some Ford dealer must have hired some marketing firm to post negative reviews for competitors. They must have gotten an old list of dealers. I saw a negative review last year for the Ford dealer that was down the block from me, except it burned down around ten years ago!
    Undoubtedly, some of the positive reviews are true, but I take them with a grain of salt too. Many truly have good experiences but it is because they were easy marks for the salesman. I'd make sure you car was detailed to the max if I was making a big fat profit. The fact that rsvr didn't have a good experience is probably indicative of him getting a good deal.
  • runnerratrunnerrat Member Posts: 3
    I've been reading this forum for awhile, but have finally reached the need to post. I'm shopping for my first car and want some feedback and where I might further negotiate and other questions to ask about the best deal I've been quoted on a 12K, 36 month lease for a 2013 Accord LX:

1) Capitalized Cost: $21,033.30
    2) Cap-cost reduction: $0
    3) Money Factor: 0.00075
    4) Residual Value: $13,729.30
    5) Total due at signing $0
    6) Monthly lease payment including Local County tax: $228
    I'm glad that in the end, they at least detailed it - I don't remember you mentioning that before - but it is unacceptable for "higher management" to direct a sales person to go out of his way not to serve a customer properly. That is an extremely unprofessional way to operate a business and that dealership should be avoided. I commend you for informing the forum readers about this. I'm glad in the end you got the car you wanted - Hondas are great cars - hope you enjoy it. Congrats!

Bill G
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    edited July 2013
    I can't believe you STILL bought that car!!

It sounds like you squeezed every last penny out of that deal and that store reluctantly sold you a car.

Sounds like a miserable experience on both sides.

I know I would have walked out.

From a salesperson's perspective I know I would have much rather lost a sale than had a customer leave unhappy.

Life is short...
  • happymanmenhappymanmen Member Posts: 7
    edited July 2013
    Hi all,

I just bought 2013 accord EX-L i4 cvt coupe on Jun 28, 2013 from honda finance $24,600 0.9% 36 months (around $700 monthly payment).

In this month, I just found that honda finance 2013 Accord Coupe Special APR 0.9% APR for 60 months and Offer valid through:9/3/2013. It's show up after I bought my accord next week. Did anyone try to call honda finance to get 0.9% 60 months even you already get 0.9% 36 months? If get the 0.9% 60 months, my monthly payment will reduce to $450.

Is it any suggestion to use credit card with low service fee to pay honda finance payment?

Thank you
    I believe the 0.9% APR deal for 60 months was available in June when you bought your Accord coupe. Did you ask the dealership what finance offers they had before buying the car?

I do not want to sound mean, but you should have done your homework. If you could not afford $700/month over 36 months, then you should have looked somewhere else for financing such as your local credit union.

I would not recommend using your credit card to make your car payment but it would not hurt calling the dealership or Honda Finance to see if they would work with you to change the terms of the loan.

Good luck.
    Actually, I did my homework. The the 0.9% 36 months or 1.9% 60 months end on 7/8/13 and 0.9% 60 months was offered on 7/9/13. Is it I live in Los Angeles CA with the differnet?
    Any reason why you did not go for the 1.9% APR financing for 60 months?

I would still advice you to call HFS or the dealership and see what they say.
    I already called both dealer and HFS for my coupe, they said that I can't change it. When I get some reserach, I found that 0.9% 60 months is only for Accord coupe. Sendan one is 0.9% 36 months. Is it my dealer provide the wrong term for me since someone told me the coupe 0.9% 60 months already on June. Did anyone buy coupe in CA use HFC on June with 0.9% 60 months?
    No doubt there are people who took advantage of the 60 month financing in Jun but your salesperson screwed up. If HFS won't change the term, talk to the general manager of the dealer. Tell him how unhappy you are and ask what he can do for you. If he has any class, he'll offer some free maintenance or accessories.