Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• bluemkn57carsbluemkn57cars Member Posts: 1,008
    No problem.

Since your post was titled "2013 or 2014 Accord sedan EX", I was under the impression that you were inquiring about an Accord EX.

Without a price breakdown, we cannot tell whether you got a good deal.

Some of the info that might be helpful would be as follows:

Sales price (including destination fee):
    Documentation Fees:
    Title and Registration Fees:
    Dealer add-ons:
    Any flex cash?
    Tax rate: (Since it varies by state and it does not affect the price of the car, you can just post the percentage)

What is the sales price you are being offered on a 2014 model? Below invoice pricing? Its MSRP is about $300 more than the 2013 model.
    2021 Audi A6 P+2018 Audi A4 P+ (lease returned)2013 Honda Accord EX-L (Sold)
  • accord2013elxaccord2013elx Member Posts: 47
    Prime said they don't have the car in stock, they can offer me the 2014 at invoice price. But i have to wait till the month end to get the car.
    They can't go any lower than 25,200. But I am working with few dealers on 2014 models also. Will keep you posted.
    Hey all, I got an offer @ 26,085 for 2014 EL-X. The dealer is asking me to come today to get this done.

The 2013 is @ 25,200 from one dealer.

I am in a dilemma between 2013 vs 2014. Is this the good deal to go for it? Please advice asap.
  • bigdaddy930bigdaddy930 Member Posts: 8
    Hi, I am new to this forum. I am looking for a 2013 Honda Accord EX 4 cyc. Based on what I see the 2014 & 2013 models are about the same. I live in the NYC area. What is considered as a good price or avg price paid for this in the area? Will 2013 model prices drop in a few months and worth to wait? Looking for ways to find the best deals. Thanks
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    The dealers offer of 26,085 for a 2014 EXL is the dest charge included in this price.

The 2013 is 1200 below invoice price is dest charge included

Was flex cash added to that below invoice price on 2013 and is it avail.

What is dealerships doc fee charges.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

edited September 2013
    There is one poster who claims most dealerships in new york and new jersey are offering 500 below invoice price on his EXL model. Some models may vary in price depending on stock. Read back thru board on pricing and buying tips and then you will have some good questions to ask this forum for help.

If you could buy a 2014 model for Invoice price or just 500 above is a good deal around the nyc area. The longer you wait to buy a 2014 model closer to Dec the better pricing will get.

I am following a couple of post here that i find very interesting.

Invoice and maybe below on a 2014 model????

Yes, the destination charges included for 2014 model.
    Doc charge + title + registration : 428

For 2013 model, destination included and no flex cash.
    Doc charge + title + registration : 298 + 130
    edited September 2013
    If your numbers are correct. There is a 251 dollar increase from last years model exl.... Invoice w= dest charge is== 26,650

This deal is a no brainer buy the 2014 at... 565 below invoice.

If he left the dest charge off that price that would put you about 75 dollars above invoice which would seem right. Double check you know how these dealerships will lie..

Even at 75 dollars above invoice price plus dealers doc fee's would still be a great deal on a 2014 model.

How many 2013 Accords are on this dealers lot. This deal Smells fishy to me.

• jorod1jorod1 Member Posts: 5
    22, 500 sale price is that good?
    Post this info for comments

What state your in
    Whats selling price of vehicles with or with out dest/ charge.
    What is dealerships doc fee charge.

Destination charge is $790

Tx
    W/des
    150 doc feefee
    good price

Thanks I'm excited. Getting leather and tint that's all no add ons. They even through in free oil changes and tire insurance to boot. I got lucky I guess.

I was going to go with 13 on labor day but I wasn't getting good prices so I went back this past weekend and decided to try out 14s all but two were higher by 700 or so. Two were fighting each other and I used that to my advantage. Here is a tip have your phone ready when they put their lowest price on the buyers order. Long story short I found out 14 prices were more competitive. Supply and demand I guess and I don't think it matters if its the end of the month you just have to negotiate.
  • fxguyfxguy Member Posts: 132
    That's about $750 below invoice on a 2014 model. This is good. At this rate we should be back to $1000 under invoice hopefully by next month. Hoping to pick mine up before the end of October.
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc Member Posts: 699
    I think you may be right - the 2013s sold at a brisk pace right out of the blocks because of the redesign and upgraded features - a lot of buyers jumped as Honda was adjusting the production pace. There were no significant changes to the car and production is probably going pretty well now which should translate to a more than ample supply. The good deals might come faster for the 2014s.
    2016 ES350 Lux/Atomic Silver
    2017 Accord Sport CVT Mod Steel Metallic
    Manual or Automatic?
    I have signed the deal for 14 as the dealer honored the price promised over the the phone.

448 (doc+title+registration+ins. sticker)
    6.25%

It was very quick deal for me this after noon that's when I started thinking about 14s and checked with few dealers (other dealers were at 300-400 more).
    Couple of things I need the help to decide:

1) Warranty - 10yrs/120k priced at 1330. Not a honda warranty, when asked they said it's the same insurance company (CNA) and better because of extra 2 years, the honda's at 8yrs / 120 k at same price. I was not convinced and didn't take it. What would be the best deal and how much we can reduce the price?

2) GAP insurance - priced at 795. How much we can reduce here? Is this really useful?

I have till Wednesday morning to decide on this as the dealer is working on getting me better rate which he think he can.
    Congrats - not a bad deal for a 2014 - but now your userid is obsolete (ha ha).

Enjoy the new accord!

Bill G
    Don't buy a third party warranty - get hondacare from one of the online sellers from over in the warranty thread - too many horror stories with third party companies.

As far as the gap, are you financing the whole amount? If you are putting a good chunk down, you might not need gap - accords maintain their value well.

Bill G
    edited September 2013
    So far we have a 750 below in TEXAS and a over 600 below up in Boston.

This could be a nice turn of events for 2014 buyers. With such limited stock of 2013 models you are better off buying a 2014 model. Even at invoice price is a very good deal right now on a 2014 model.

As these 2014's start to roll into dealers lots 20/30 you will see much better pricing on the 2013 left over models with colors that are not selling going for that 1500 to 2 k mark.

If you fall into that category wait til next month and buy that less desirable color for a great deal.

i actual thought that TX posting was a joke when posted. Maybe i'm wrong.

edited September 2013
    Just a reminder to all buyers

Do not be fooled by these 2 prices on a 2014 model.. Your area most likely will not come close to that kind of pricing yet. We do not know what factors led to these 2 dealerships selling this low of a price. Maybe supply and demand, a good negotiation, wanted to get new accord off there lot.

By contacting and bringing in as many dealerships into your negotiation process will help you determine your area's market pricing on 2014 models and help you to get the lowest price possible in your area.
    If your not happy with this months pricing wait til next month.

What amazes me is here in NYC/ New jersey some posters said they could only get 500 below on a 2013 model. already we have 2 posts stating 2014 models sells cheaper.

Could be how you negotiate, or could be the area.

Congrats on your deal.

Enjoy your 2014 Accord.
    Auto
    Brian, you made some very good points.

I just wanted to add a few things.

To those buyers who are looking for a 2013 model in a specific color and in a particular trim, you should be checking out dealer lots now for availability. If you wait till the end of the month, you might not get what you want and might have to either settle for a second or third color choice. I am not even sure if dealers are still offering flex cash on the 2013 models.

If you need a car soon and dealers in your area have good pricing on the 2014 models, then negotiate and go for that model.

If price is all that matters to you, then it is best to wait for prices to drop substantially on the 2013 models.
  • cars12345cars12345 Member Posts: 44
    Did you end up buying the 2014 at Prime? Can I ask you a favor now? Can I take some credit for keeping you talking to them? I'm going down there to discuss a few things when I get the final registration and I want to say that I helped keep them in the game with you and you ended up purchasing a 2014!

If you keep balking at the price of the warrenty it will go down...but they will still overcharge. They also have a "coupon" for $100 off on the website. That's a bit of a farce too. Ask if the warrenty they are offering has a deductible. They will also try to sell you every warrenty under the sun and wrap it into the monthly payment so it doesn't look so bad. It's easy to walk away with $4000 worth of warranties. Just be on your toes.

Here are some online prices for HondaCare (left off the name as not to break any rules).
    Coverage Level $0 Deductible $100 Deductible
    3 years/45000 miles $350.00 Not Available
    4 years/60000 miles $465.00 Not Available
    5 years/60000 miles $485.00 Not Available
    5 years/80000 miles $630.00 $525.00
    5 years/100000 miles $725.00 $615.00
    6 years/80000 miles $650.00 $545.00
    6 years/100000 miles $790.00 $685.00
    6 years/120000 miles $900.00 $795.00
    7 years/80000 miles $680.00 $570.00
    7 years/100000 miles $870.00 $765.00
    7 years/120000 miles $990.00 $880.00
    8 years/100000 miles $960.00 $850.00
    8 years/120000 miles $1,075.00 $970.00

Congrats on the 2014!
    So does anyone else get pressure to complete the Honda survey with all 5's? From the salesman to the finanace guy - they are fixated on making sure you complete the survey with all 5's. If they get one 4 it's a failing grade and everyone loses money. It's a real guilt trip. I think my salesman did a good job (not a 5, but I don't want him to lose money so I could live with a 5), but I am not happy with my finance meeting and he does not deserve a 5 at all. The 'manager' during negotiations did a bit of overpromise under deliver too. What impact do I cause by giving my honest opinion. It seems to me they know who is filling out the survey as they quoted one woman said the dealership wasn't 'clean'. they rather not sell a car then have a survey that is all not 5's.

I'm going to give the finance guy a chance to make it right. But I feel like a jerk holding the survey over his head for his misleading me. But I can't in good conscience give him a 5 on the finance question, but he says that will affect the salesman's pay. I don't know what to believe.

Does Honda know about this armtwisting? Do all dealerships do this?

Thanks.
  • cmartin411cmartin411 Member Posts: 42
    You can get below invoice now in my area for the 2014 model. I've started negotiations with some dealers in Greenville, SC and metro Atlanta and right now we are below invoice so I feel confident we can get to at least $500 below invoice if not more.

Invoice - $28,269 (2014 exl sedan 4 cylinder with Nav)
    Their quote - $28,000 (includes $790 destination)
    Doc fees - $200
    plus tax and title fees.

I'll let you know what we end up with.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Stores live and die by surveys and some stores will "buy" perfect surveys by giving the customer a tank of gas or a free oil change in return for a perfect survey.

A nasty customer who was treated well but left think they paid too much will often retaliate by giving the store a bad survey.

Teachers and Engineers were the worst. In their minds, nobody is ever "perfect" and to them, giving a "4" was giving a good grade when in the eyes of Honda is was like giving an "F". Surveys were often very unfair.

I had consistent excellent surveys but it wasn't easy. One lousy survey could keep a store from willing the President's Award.

If we KNEW a customer was going to trash us on a survey, we had ways of dealing with that too.
    "If we KNEW a customer was going to trash us on a survey, we had ways of dealing with that too. "

So this is my concern. Will they retaliate against me? I have a bunch of free oil changes and if I hint that i will give a bad survey for just that one person, should I be afraid to ever set foot in the dealership again?

Here's my gripe.

After making a very good deal on the car, I made a very bonehead rookie mistake.

I bought the extended warranty. (accord2013exl - read this!)

I had been thinking about it since the 2013 was a redesign. But didn't do enough research.

After the price kept coming down I was still hemming and hawing.

I said, well, I have until 6,000 miles to decide. And he said "well No, not really". So, I could somewhat live with the fact that I over paid (by $400) but I can't live with the fact that he lied to me to make the sale. I later confirmed I was right.

I will be canceling the policy and I have to do this in person. But if I decide to buy it from an online dealer I have to pay $165 more since it's not the "first" warranty. So I either not do the warranty (which is probably what I will do)...or this was a $165 lesson I learned.

I don't see how I can give the finance guy a 5 for lying to me unless he can "make it right".

Making it right would mean cutting me a check for $400, or canceling the policy and cutting me a check for $165. What's the probably that will happen????

Will a less grade on the finance guy impact the salesman?

Appreciate the input ISELLHONDAS.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    It's really no win. If you always get perfect surveys you have no way of knowing what might be weak spots at the dealership. And customers can't be honest when there are problems. Not only are there rarely perfect car sales experiences anyway, but you'd think you would want to know if there was one troublesome area, or 2 or 3 so you could improve service. This is just one more reason why buying a car is so hellish. The system actually discourages honest feedback.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • tommister2tommister2 Member Posts: 393
    edited September 2013
    I had a similar experience - finance guy told me GAP insurance was required if I financed through Honda. He lied to me and my wife - but of course he denied it when I got the GM involved. I requested that the policy be cancelled. They drug their feet so I contacted a consumer lawyer. I was told that if they cancel after 60 days the finance guy gets to keep his commission, so that's probably why they were delaying the cancellation.

I'm curious to see if they will do the same to you with this warranty. I hope they treat you right - be sure to let us know. Just another reason not to buy anything extra when you are trapped in the finance manager's office...

BTW - I did not receive a survey for that purchase. That might be what isell is talking about - the dealer might be able to suppress certain surveys from going out.

As for GAP insurance, it was available as part of my auto coverage for $1/month. Much better than the $799 at the dealer! Plus I only needed it for about 2 years.
    2011 Toyota Camry, 2014 Jeep Wrangler, 2017 Honda Civic Coupe, 2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XSE, 2021 Toyota Tundra, 2022 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Tesla Model 3
    You should give the dealership all 5's. Like you posted you made the bone head mistake not the dealer. Chalk up that $ 165 to a lessioned learned. If you buy a car every 8 to 10 years you might not care about a survey for them. Giving any dealer a 5 on his survey even if they dont deserve it will ensure you that any problems and any new purchases you will be treated better as a repeat customer. Dont put a mark on your back.

I buy new vehicles often looking for the best price.. That alone will get you all 5's... Does it mean that dealership deserves it?. NO

My Accord purchase in Feb was bad. On pick up day dealer Could not find the other Remote. The salesman that was showing me my Accord spoke bad english and new nothing about the car. Inside the car was not cleaned after the guys prepped it. Terrible dealership Gave me a great price. Earned my 5's. If i gave them 2 or 3's i probably would never see another good price from them down the road.

Ha ha ha! Sure it's is.
    Thanks.
    Thank you.
    You too with your exl.
    I think It's very good deal.
    Sorry cars12345! It's not Prime, it's HC.
    Good luck with your final things with them though.

Thanks for the suggestion on warranty, i'll go to the warranty thread and read more about it.
    Are they throwing any free accessories in the deal?
    Brian - your advice makes sense.

I still think I should say I'm cancelling because the price is too high and I can get it get it cheaper from an internet dealer (not that I expect them to be as cheap as an internet dealer) but also the fact you mislead me...but not make a bigger stink than that. They will ask me why and try to talk me out of it. I'll just state the facts and cancel the policy. End of story.

What do you think?
    I agree with your approach.

The next time your buying a honda If your dealing with that dealership make sure you go out of your way to tell the Manager there you gave then 5"s on there last survey and they Did Not Deserve it For what ever the reasons..

This may help you with getting your next target priced Vehicle.

Enjoy your new ride

• jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Define "pressure".

I was asked by salesman to give all 5's, that anything other than a 5 was a failure. He was nice about it, never felt pressured. Said if any areas I felt were less than a 5 to call before turning in survey, and they'd make it right. Experience was good enough, so I gave all 5's.

A really stupid and unfair way to score the sales experience.

Isell, have dealerships always had these surveys? Sounds like something that was probably started in early 80's.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    edited September 2013
    I remember late 70's with the American car companies on survey Satisfaction.

These new survey satisfaction/ customer related forms are a unfair way to judge sales staff and dealership practices on a whole.

Some people are to critical to judge. I tell all my family and friends. Regardless of your experience bad or good that survey gets a 5 star.

I find its best

Telling each dealership what they did wrong but not hurting them helps them and you in the long run.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 239,519
    Telling each dealership what they did wrong but not hurting them helps them and you in the long run.

What is the dealership's incentive to improve if there are no consequences if they don't?

I figure taking money out of their pocket is a darn good incentive to get better.

Would you tip your server the same 20% if they got the order wrong, spilled a drink in your lap and didn't keep your water glass full?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

I have no idea at what mileage a person is unable to buy an extended warranty on a Honda and I don't know if the finance person outright lied to you or you misunderstood him.

But, yes, a bad survey will impact your salesperson AND the store. Actually it won't affect your finance person that much.

Just cancel your warranty and get your money back!

If you really feel you need a warranty on your Honda I know there are renegade stores out there that probably sell them for less money.

It sounds like you bought the warranty and THEN shopped it and now you are bitter because you found out you could have bought it for less?

Nobody is going to "retaliate" against you. If you have free oil changes coming, you'll get them.

Don't be afraid to step foot in there, noting will happen. Just don't expect your salesperson to look back fondly on your transaction.

And, something tells me you'll never get a survey but if you do, why not take the high road?
    Mike your point is well taken and you are correct in your thinking. I buy to many vehicles No need to burn bridges. That dealership that has bad practices this month and a bad price might give me a monster deal down the road . It always happens.

If i bought a vehicle from your dealership you have given me the best price around/ maybe the best price on the east coast..... I am a dealerships nightmare so in return of that good price and me tongue lashing you on dealer practices i feel for me............. its a wash. The average guy 1 car every 7 to 10 years may be a different story.

i buy alot of cars for myself, family and friends. i need some of these guys on my side................lol.

You don't understand.

Honda's system is a pass/fail system. It's a scale of 1-5. Getting a 4 is as bad as getting a 1.

No, it's not fair and, no, it isn't right but THAT'S THE WAY THEY DO IT!

In a perfect world, a 4 would equal a B and not an F but that's they way they do it!

So let me ask you...if you went out to a very nice restaurant and had an excellent meal with outstanding service and your server accidently spilled a drink on you would you punish hi/her by not leaving a tip or by leaving a lesser tip? Would you go to Yelp and trash that restaurant?

I would like to think that you might leave a lesser tip?

Well, giving a 4 instead of a 5 would be like leaving no tip at all. Would you do that? I'm guessing you wouldn't but that is the way Honda's survey's work.

" Well, that isn't fair"

" Well, that's not right"

I agree, but THAT is how they work!
    You don't understand.

Honda's system is a pass/fail system. It's a scale of 1-5. Getting a 4 is as bad as getting a 1.

No, it's not fair and, no, it isn't right but THAT'S THE WAY THEY DO IT!

In a perfect world, a 4 would equal a B and not an F but that's they way they do it!

So let me ask you...if you went out to a very nice restaurant and had an excellent meal with outstanding service and your server accidently spilled a drink on you would you punish hi/her by not leaving a tip or by leaving a lesser tip? Would you go to Yelp and trash that restaurant?

I would like to think that you might leave a lesser tip?

Well, giving a 4 instead of a 5 would be like leaving no tip at all. Would you do that? I'm guessing you wouldn't but that is the way Honda's survey's work.

" Well, that isn't fair"

" Well, that's not right"

I agree, but THAT is how they work!
    " Don't put a mark on your back"

That probably won't happen. The Service Dept has no idea and doesn't care about the circumstances surrounding the sale of your car.

Four years later when you show up at my desk asking for help on some out or warranty repair that you think should be covered, do you really think I'm going to go to bat for you and fight with management and the factory rep if necessary? Guess again!

" the salesman that was showing me my Accord spoke bad English and "knew" nothing about the car"

Well, guess what they can hire after the "smart shoppers" (being nice here) have ground every new car deal into a mini commission sale"

That salesperson was probably gone the next month, replaced with a similar quality warm body.

" Terrible Dealership. Gave me a great price"

I guess to some people, PRICE is all that matters. At least you didn't trash them on the surveys.

Then there are the unhappy customers who WERE treated poorly, lied to and weren't respected.

Ah, but for the price of a tank of gas, somehow a perfect survey happens.

Imagine that!
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 239,519
    isell, you and I have agreed to disagree on this topic many times over the umpteen years we've both been on this forum. :-)

I agree, it's not fair and it's not right for the surveys (at least for Honda) to be pass / fail in nature. That doesn't serve anybody's best interests - the dealer, the salesperson or the consumer.

The point of surveys is to solicit honest feedback from the customer that can be used to improve the sales process. If the customer can't be honest because it impacts the dealer or salesman's compensation, then the whole system is broken.

Not likely that it will change .. so, let's get back to our regular discussion of prices paid. ;-)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4