Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• I went to dealerships yesterday in Orange County to buy a 2014 EXL-V6 after doing my research. We ended up with a purchase price of $27,250, about $1,250 below invoice. That included flex cash. Their doc was $80, so with that, DMV fees and tax of 8% we got out the door for under $30k. I'll have to look at the paperwork for the exact number. It was a purchase for my girlfriend and she left the paperwork in the car. I just wanted to post an update before I forget.
  • bluemkn57carsbluemkn57cars Posts: 242
    edited October 2013
    That's a good deal. So before the $500 flex cash, that's $750 below invoice.

Hope your girlfriend will let you drive her new Accord :)
  • I"m just trying to get a price to negotiate with and go from there. What do you believe is a good price on the EX-L 4cyl. ? What price range would you accept for an OTD price? It really is all confusing when you talk MSRP, dealer invoice etc. sticker price. Flex cash seems like its invisible just received a email back and they said no discounts available. I'm going to send another email back asking specifically for the flex cash and the graduate discount. I'm going to continue to negotiate down from this quote. Thanks so much for your input.
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc SoCalPosts: 436
    Congrats and great job! I'm sure your girlfriend will enjoy her new accord.

Bill G

By the way - who was the dealer?
  • Looks like you already came up with the conclusion that Honda will continue to offer flex cash but you are looking for the salesman to further confirm that. If you think he is telling the truth (and this is one of the few times I would actually believe the salesman), it really isn’t in his best interests to give you an educated guess. First, telling a customer that it may no longer be offered might cause the customer to decide to buy now because the salesman knows that anytime a customer walks out or hangs up the phone may be his last chance to make that sale. Second, even if he really thinks flex cash will be extended, if he happens to be wrong, there will be customers that are not only upset that they lost out on the flex cash but will go to the sales manager and complain that they lost the opportunity for flex cash because the salesman thought it would be extended.
    My wife got her Volvo on 11/30/12. In October, there was a $1,000 rebate if you had leased a competing vehicle, in November, the rebate was available if you had leased any other car, and in December, no rebate was available.
  • Which dealer did you go to?
  • brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,912
    edited October 2013
    Hi Colleen

Take this advice it will help you with your Accord purchase.

Invoice price w/ dest charge on the 2014 exl model=$26,650 Google then call 5 or 10 of the closest dealerships to your house. get the name number and email of each internet manager. Once you have your info call each dealership and speak to each manager.

Find out what dealerships have flex cash.

Find out what each dealerships doc fee charge is?? high doc fee charges have to be compensated for in your asking price. If they are capped remain with the same Target price 200 below to buy.

Every dealership that has flex cash to offer on the 2014 model is where you start with negotiations.

here are your numbers to start for the sale.

You let each manager know you buy today for 200 below invoice price plus flex cash for financing vehicle.

2014 exl............ 26,450 is 200 below invoice price this includes dest charge.

Dealers with flex cash minus 500 off that number. Do not complicate this deal with the 500 graduate rebate yet work on getting 200 below invoice price plus finding who has the flex cash..

Once you reach a deal with the flex cash then tell dealership you are a graduate. Dealer must then minus another 500 off that total. Dmv, doc fee, and taxes are added onto this number for your OTD price. You should be able to make your phone calls and seal a similar deal like this within a hour of your phone calls. If no dealers in your area are giving flex cash stick to your target price of 200 below invoice price for the sale that moment .... If you feel your target price of 200 is to high then by all means lower it. At 200 below invoice plus incentives would be a really good deal and alot of dealers will want to make this deal with you.

If you find flex, get your target price, and graduate rebate here is what your looking at price wise.

EXL model...................26,450......200 below invoice price
    minus.........................500..........flex cash
    minus ........................500..........Graduate rebate

Total........................25,450 plus dmv, taxes and doc fee

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

• Hi Brian:

Thank you so much this is exactly what I was looking for. I feel confident I can negotiate now with a price to target. I will let you know how I do. I feel like I'm going into combat with the enemy and I shouldn't feel that way, but really they never tell the truth.
  • The dealership I got my deal at was Autonation in Costa Mesa.

And yes, I hope she lets me drive it! I just took her 2011 with me to AZ today since it's a lease and not due to be returned for another 2 weeks. At least now she can drive her new 2014 instead of my 07 Tundra while I'm gone!
  • hogan773hogan773 Posts: 255
    That's a good price! I have one person telling me 27.190 but they are also telling me it is "not possible" to buy a car without dealer accs like wheel locks. Plus this kid seems a bit confused or shifty by phone so I asked him to send me the actual purchase order example so I can see ALLtthe numbers.

Be careful because some dealers have a footnote that says Internet price includes ALL available honda incentives.... And when you get there they'll say oh sorry you aren't a military person or a college graduate so those don't apply and therefore the pricing is higher.
    No no I get it... I'm not asking them to promise anything. I was just sort of replying to their RUSH RUSH RUSH speech with a little logic. Of course I could be wrong.

However several dealers have confirmed that the promo program will switch on November 4th. A few who are now out of flex cash have guessed that they will have something to offer on the 4th.
  • Hogan, I read on another Accord site about the CR downgrade of V6. How often does CR do this? I was surprised about the complaints about the ride feel! i guess, it is all relative. if youve been driving an old car with a suspension that is completely shot, has major alignment issues, and old tires....in a state that is known for its horrible roads, I would say my Accord rides like a dream! it is NOT a Lexus and doesnt cost as much, either. The recent CR report won't hurt your buying power in Nov. Overall, the economy is not stellar and most car dealerships are not bustling with business.
  • Be careful because some dealers have a footnote that says Internet price includes ALL available honda incentives.

That's why when requesting online price quotes, you should always ask dealers to list the price of the car without any incentives. That's what I did when I was car shopping more than 2 months ago.

As far as accessories go, wheel locks are the only accessories you should pay for. Some dealers might throw it in at no extra cost.
    They do their survey once a year. All CR subscribers fill out a survey and report issues they've had with their cars. Then CR throws it into their spreadsheet and develops good vs bad all on a relative basis.

With the Accord it appears the major knock is from the radio which had lots of problems early on. I can handle that as its not engine, trans , suspension etc.
    I don't like wheel locks and certainly don't want to pay 119 bux for them. What happens if you lose your thingy and you need to change a tire. I live in the burbs and am not worried about someone stealing my wheels.

Apparently some dealers order these options from the factory so they can get them printed on the window sticker... Which makes it seem more "necessary" to the customer to take them
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,778
    So, how did CR " DOWNGRADE" the Accord V-6?

Sorry, I was once a big time fan or CR and I still subscribe but I no longer pay much attention to their subjective opinions. I doubt many sales will be lost by would be buyers anyway. I suppose there will be some.

A question....WHY do you have to have a V-6? Yes, they are a bit smoother and a bit more powerful but the 4 cyls are more than up to the task.

The 4's have tons of power, get better mileage and cost less to maintain.

I know some people think they "need" a V-6 but unless I lived where I had to pass people on nasty two lane highways or maybe in a high altitude area of the country, I just don'[t see any benefits at all. Just my opinion.

Promotions come and go. The danger being that people EXPECT them to always be there and they can and do end suddenly. We never knew until the next month started.
    No, the dealers don't order options from the factory. The pre load cars with them as soon as they arrive. They print their own stickers.

If you don't want anything extra, just put a deposit on a car that is in transit and ask that no accessories be installed.
  • This forum has helped me to research about the paid prices. Out the door price on 2014 EX-l is $ 28,000 ( including sales Tax + registration ) It comes with wheel locks, trunk try, all session floor mats, mud guards, poly steel paint protection, sun visor.

It includes 500 flex cash. State is florida(North east) which has high dealer documentation fees.

28,000 is a good price at this time ?
  • bluemkn57carsbluemkn57cars Posts: 242
    edited October 2013
    Welcome to the forum.

Listing the OTD price does not help anyone figure out whether you got a good deal.

Here is the info that will help:
    1. Sale price of the car including the destination fee (but not including any dealer add-ons or incentives)
    2. Dealer documentation fees
    3. Registration fee
    4. Cost of all the dealer add-ons
    5. Incentives (You mentioned $500 Flex cash)

The invoice price for a 2014 EX-L I4 without navigation is $26,650 (including destination fee). So if you paid below invoice for just the car, then you did well.
    edited November 2013
    ORIGINAL POST ISELLHONDAS[[So, how did CR " DOWNGRADE" the Accord V-6?

Sorry, I was once a big time fan or CR and I still subscribe but I no longer pay much attention to their subjective opinions. I doubt many sales will be lost by would be buyers anyway. I suppose there will be some.

A question....WHY do you have to have a V-6? Yes, they are a bit smoother and a bit more powerful but the 4 cyls are more than up to the task.

The 4's have tons of power, get better mileage and cost less to maintain.

I know some people think they "need" a V-6 but unless I lived where I had to pass people on nasty two lane highways or maybe in a high altitude area of the country, I just don'[t see any benefits at all. Just my opinion.

Promotions come and go. The danger being that people EXPECT them to always be there and they can and do end suddenly. We never knew until the next month started.]]

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Listen - CR just does the surveying and the PEOPLE fill them out. I am a CR subscriber and I fill it out every year on each car. This is how they GET that reliability data that shows the little red or black dots to compare between cars. Now to be fair, it appears the RADIO in the V6s and upper end models is what killed it. Lots of problems....lots of people going back to the dealer to fix....lots of people when filling out the survey report that....

Is it inaccurate? Yes and No. A bit silly too, yes. CR should have a big asterisk that says it was the RADIO that had much lower than average "reliability". But instead they just had a big press release which among other things said "we can no longer recommend the Accord V6 as it's reliability is below average" Not a real mention with some digging as to WHAT was the problem.

As for the V6....I drove them back to back and I gotta tell you sure, the I4 is fine, but at idle it is much more of a clattering steam engine, and under acceleration the I4 and CVT are definitely noticeable as they push and pull the car along. The V6 is like smooth power and refinement...more like BMW and Audi. So do I NEED it? I dunno, what does anyone NEED? Why does anyone even NEED an I4 Accord, when they could also get a used Fit to take them to work just the same? And the V6 has more than "a bit" more power...something like 50% more! But to each his own, and that is what is great about our society is that each person can get the model they like best
  • Isell, have you ever owned a V6? I always drove a 4cyl until 2006 when I got my Maxima...I can't ever go back. I travel locally in my job in a small city, so I need to have some power to get on the hwy, maneuver thru traffic, etc. To me, there's a big difference between the 4cyl and V6 in the Accord..Again its all relative and what you're used to. I do like how you have the Economy button if you want to save on gas mileage...run the car more efficiently.
    Had you not driven the V-6 you **may** have been completely happy with the 4. I watched that happen sometimes. Shoppers were ready to pull the trigger on a 4 cyl and "just for kicks" would decide to try out a V-6 and they would then want the V-6.

My only point was, for most people, the 4 cyl is more than up for the task. I know I wouldn't pay for a V-6.

As far as NEEDS go, I watched time and time again as people who were on a tight budget seemed to always NEED a sunroof, leather, rear wings etc.

The radio thing is a joke especially since they are under warranty.

As far as those little red and black dots, using an example, I think it was 1996 Accords that got a red dot for brakes and in 1997, the dot was half black.

Nothing was changed between those two years so go figure?
  • So is the radio in 2014 the same as in the 2014 or has there been an upgrade in the software, etc? I asked my salesperson and he said he hadn't heard of the problem...yeah, right! Should I take it I and complain? On a scale of 1-10, it's about a 4...and I am not a stereo person.
    capegirl,

I have owned cars that make a V-6 Accord look like a motor scooter as far as power go's.

But, as someone else said if you REALLY feel you need a V-6 then that's what you should buy!

I never have the slightest problem merging into traffic or maneuvering through traffic in our 4 cyl CRVS.

But...that's me.
  • I had a 1996 Accord and drove it for 280,000 miles, and we had no issues with brakes except for changing them out at normal intervals...
    @isell: Sure, if I never drove the V6 I'd probably be "OK" with the 4. We're coming from a BMW, and when I got my wife into the I4 she basically said "yeah, sure, it's fine....but doesn't have that "feel" that the BMW has" She's not a huge car person so would have taken it if that's what I pushed for. But after driving both, I want to splurge and get the one that feels better. I keep cars for a long time, and I don't want to always go "yeah I wish I had the smoother car, but I did save $1,650 8 years ago on it".

It's not that the I4 doesn't have power and can't get up and go....it's just much more animated when doing so. You can hear and feel the engine winding up, the CVT is popping the revs all over the place, and the car even had sort of a mild "lurching" as it accelerated. The V6 is just smooth and more stately....you apply gas, and the car accelerates more quietly and without all the hysterics. I'm being a bit hyperbolic on the I4 by the way...it's not that bad, and for just putt putting around town it will do a fine job. And at idle the 4 banger sounded much more rough to me than the V6 did. Almost a bit of diesel "clatter" to it.

I totally agree if an LX or EX is good enough, then I wouldn't pay up for a V6. But if you were gonna go EXL I4 anyway, it's really not that much more to get EXL V6.
    edited November 2013
    I hear you and I totally understand.

Better to pay a bit more than to "settle" on something you aren't 100% happy with.

For raw power, I do miss my GTO and my Impala SS 409.

I DON'T miss getting 7 MPG on premium!

And, I REALLY don't miss the tickets I got on a monthly basis.
  • No problem. If you decide to buy Altima feel free to ping me and I can provide some numbers. If you happen to decide Altima, I would advice to buy it soon because there are big incentives available from Nissan. This will help you to save some more money.

@capegirl5: I personally feel that it is an injustice to put 2013 Altima in the same boat as Maxima 2004. 2013/14 Altima models are redesigned to mainly target Camry and Accord family sedan segment. I am not saying Accord is bad in any case, because I personally own one and I am satisfied. I also considered Altima when I was in market to buy a vehicle in 2007, but it did not justify the investment due to their safety and overall reliability ratings at that time. All those things are changed since then, and Consumer Report would agree with it as well. I too have a back and neck problem for past 10 years and seat comfort was one of my first criteria as well. I though have to agree that I don't have previous Altima ownership experience, but according to my opinion I could not justify to pay $3k to $4k more to buy similarly equipped Accord. Accord has given me so much of trouble with their Battery life (using 3rd battery in 6 years of ownership) and my brother bought Accord in 2008 after my recommendation at that time, and he also has mechanical issues with its suspension in his 2008 Accord. Even though with these issues in Accord, I still like it. But buying another Accord for a higher price upfront than Nissan....... I was not convinced.

Good luck with your new purchase! :)
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,762
    I agree - don't settle, especially on a car purchase that will cost you dearly in depreciation if you go to trade it in sooner rather than later.

isellhondas - there is no reason for the V6 other than some people want the "extra punch" or "think" that they don't want a 4cyl car. Modern technology such as direct injection, CVTs, & 8 speed automatics have vastly improved the acceleration "feel" of modern 4cyl. Honda 4cyl engines are as good as they come as far as I'm concerned.

My current 2001 Honda Prelude Type SH (150K miles) will get smoked by any run of the mill V6 powered family sedan from a stop light, but on the highway has no trouble cruising at speeds much higher than those posted in NY & CT.

The last speeding ticket I received was while driving my former (4cyl) 2010 Acura TSX. I was clocked going 81 in a 55. I was going faster than that before I saw the state trooper.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

• dinob661dinob661 Posts: 3
    edited November 2013
    Hello all. First Post, This is my first new car negotiation, and I want to do a good job :).

The MSRP for the Car was: 26,220 (including destination fee)

So I went to the Honda dealership to check out the new Honda 2014 EX Accord and got a chance to discuss some pricing with the dealer. from another dealership I was quoted 24,700 (not including tax, etc.). Since it was the end of the month this dealership came at me with this offer, and please tell me what you think!:

Dealer offer Price: 24,000 (Not including tax,etc.)
    - Lifetime engine warranty

and This deal is not including these incentives which I qualify for
    -Recent Graduate 500$
    -Flex Cash 500$

The Destination fee is: 790$

Thanks for any advice.