Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mhowleymhowley Member Posts: 5
    OK fellow Honda owners and shoppers, I need just a few things this time around. I just got the call that our friends Altima is finally dead and must buy a car this week. Since I just helped her husband buy his 04 EX-L a few months ago, she thought I could do the legwork and try and make this one as painless as her husband's. You have all been such a help to me in the past, and I did my part by posting all the specifics about that 04 I helped on here on this board. Yet, as things change from month to month I need to know if there are any special financing offers on the Accords or Civics and what incentive dollars are being offered to the dealers from Honda. It looks like the only thing available might be $500 from Honda to the dealers to help them move the 04 Accords. My friend is most likely in the market for a LX 4 Dr. 4 Cylinder, so this vehicle should be readily available. Thanks in advance for those that answer my request for assistance. Mike
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    Honda ended the Accord special financing on July 6th. They are running special lease deals though. You are correct about the $500 dealer cash.

The Civic has 1.9 for 36, 2.9 for 48, and 3.9 for 60 if I am not mistaken. I think the dealer cash is $400.You can verify all of this info through the incentived and rebate section in the new car area of Edmunds.
    Friends,
    I was quoted $18,240 (including destination) for a 2004 Accord LX/Auto/4 Cyl./4 Dr./Side Curtain Airbags from my favorite dealer in Burlington, NJ with no haggling. To this number I would add 6% tax, $125 Processing and $107 for Tags. OTD price as it sits now would be $19,566.10. How does this compare with anything that has been either purchased by someone very recently or to what has been posted here recently?
    Thanks,
    Mike
  • oldgoatoldgoat Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

I am buying a 2004 Accord LX/Auto/4 cyl./Sedan with side airbags also.

Your deal sounds very similar to the deal I was quoted: $18,107 + $279 dealer fee + $75 doc fee. I thought the "dealer fee" was high so I got him to throw in free window tint (a nice option in Florida!), mudguards, & door-edge trim.

I am happy with the deal, I got my 1st choice for color and really wanted the side airbags.
    I just want to make sure you know that the LX does not have side curtain airbags. It does have side airbags in the seat but until 2005 the curtains can only be had in the EX trims.
  • oldgoatoldgoat Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

I am buying a 2004 Accord LX/Auto/4 cyl./Sedan with side airbags also.

Your deal sounds very similar to the deal I was quoted: $18,107 + $279 dealer fee + $75 doc fee. I thought the "dealer fee" was high so I got him to throw in free window tint (a nice option in Florida!), mudguards, & door-edge trim.

I am happy with the deal, I got my 1st choice for color and really wanted the side airbags.
    I just wanted to thank anonymousposts for bringing to light the fact that the side airbags in the Accords are in fact only side-curtain in the LX and deployed via seatback on the LX model my friend is considering. This is the type of information I really appreciate and continually find on this site. As long as each of us or at least some of us keep contributing (keep it two-way folks) this site will continue to be the go-to place for assistance in purchasing a vehicle. Thanks again, mike
  • carmidcarmid Member Posts: 5
    I was given a quote of $18,760 out of the door for a 2004 Honda Accord LX AT with side air in Virginia. I am trying to figure if I am in the range most people are getting quotes now. I would go either with an Accord LX with side air or a Camry LE with side curtain air bags.
  • musicboymusicboy Member Posts: 66
    mhowley> I was quoted $18,240 (including destination)
    mhowley> for a 2004 Accord LX/Auto/4 Cyl./4 Dr./Side Curtain
    mhowley> Airbags...add 6% tax, $125 Processing and $107 for
    mhowley> Tags. OTD price as it sits now would be $19,566.10.

At the end of January 2004 for the same car (CM5644EW) I paid:

Selling Price $17,262.33
    Destination $ 490.00
    Total Price $17,752.33

Processing $ 100.00
    VA Tax (3%) $ 535.57
    Tag & Title $ 93.00 (included MD Temp Tag - I am a VA resident but bought from a MD dealer)

TOTAL $18,480.90

Now this price was obtained via a competitive bidding situation using multiple emails and/or faxs to dealers. It was also obtained before the $500 Mfg to Dlr incentive.

For a more complete version of my experience read my messages posted on this forum from my first message #3825 to the present.
  • jkwtradejkwtrade Member Posts: 18
    The following internet quotes were received from 4 dealers in Milwaukee, WI for a 04 Honda Accord LX sedan automatic, 4 cylinder no side airbags. The prices include the destination charge ($490) and the service fee that ranges between $89-$99 but DOES NOT include tax, title, or licensing. $17,485, $17,606, $17,694, $17,728.

I also received an online quote from a dealership in Joplin Missouri, Roper Honda, they initially quoted $19,500. I emailed a copy of the lowest quote from Milwaukee and he said he could meet it if he had the model I wanted in stock and didn't have to obtain from another dealer.
  • beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    Being sort of new to the Honda marketplace, I'm wondering what usually happens in August and beyond...is it likely they'll continue with the factory-to-dealer incentive they've had recently?

I should have gotten going earlier this month, but was so insanely busy at work that I didn't have time to car-shop. Now, it seems that the inventories at my local (upstate NY dealers) are getting kind of picked over...which makes me wonder if they'll feel less need to blow things out with some kind of incentive.
    Honda had already done away with the special financing they had on the Accord so it's hard to predict what they will do in August. I think the deals will still be pretty good because they want to move the 04's before the 05's start arriving.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    It's back...

1.9% / 36 mos
    2.9% / 48 mos.
    3.9% / 60 mos

Inventory is disappearing quickly. People who are waiting for a "better deal" will find few cars to choose from.
    My bad. It's not listed on Honda's website so I assumed it was over.
    Fellow poster,
    I know you have been a constant contributor to this site and for that I personally thank you. Now as for the financing you speak of, is this for the Accords as well as the Civics, because I have not seen any mention of the special financing from American Honda Financing for the 04 Accords? I am sending out the email to 6-8 dealers today as my friend intends to purchase within a day or two, so your information is very timely. Obviously I await your response as I try and look for this information here on edmunds.com and on honda.com. Thanks again, mike
    I just called around to a few dealers and looked on this site for specifics regarding incentives for the 04 Accords. We all know the sites are saying Honda is kicking $500 back to the dealer to move the '04s, yet nowhere is it listed that the Accord qualifies for the aggressive financing I have seen in the past 6 months. Calling the dealership's Internet Managers confirmed this, so until someone can show me where they are seeing the financing specifics I am going to have to assume this is not the case. Also I must say that when asking for and then talking to the 'Internet Manager' about their email address for a quote request; most just give me the pricing with delivery factored in. As someone who has purchased a Honda or helped others purchase a Honda, this makes me feel like there is more room to move - they were all so quick and willing to give me the price. Unless it is just the way some of the more contemporary dealers are handling price requests when a potential buyers states they are using the Internet as a tool. I don't know but when I help my friend this week I am going to try and go back to those dealers and get below the easily offered price - even if it is only a few hundred dollars I feel I must try and make that happen. I will post my findings as I go through this and after the purchase.
  • ober0nober0n Member Posts: 4
    Hi all, I was looking around but couldn't find quotes in this message board for a 2004 Accord LX, AT, Coupe (NON-V6). I have a low quote of $19,100 out-the-door. I live in the Bay Area (CA, Alameda County to be exact). What do you guys think of this price?
    Thanks in advance.
  • hampster5hampster5 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a new 2004 Accord LX, Manual 5spd Sedan (no side air bags) last night for $17028.00, for a total of $18176.35 OTR. According to a Consumer Reports new car report I ordered the day before, the invoice price for this car is $17864.00, and the wholesale price is $17285.00.

I was quoted a little bit lower price of $18000.03 OTR by another dealer ($176.32 cheaper yet - <$17K selling price), however I took the slightly higher deal because it was from a dealer that's a lot closer to my home (No. MD), and most importantly because it was my preferred color (Satin Silver instead of "beige" - I assume Desert Mist Metallic).

The local dealer said they didn't want to match the straight $18K OTR price because it was basically "at no profit" and they had a policy of making at least something off of every deal - even if it was $176.32. Whatever - the $176.32 was worth it for the convenience & the color. Plus, the car included floor mats & locking lug nuts, which I've read other dealers supposedly charge extra for. Of course they tried to sell various security & insurance package add-ons, but I didn't go for them. However, after a $2K downpayment, they did provide 4.19% financing on the balance through American Honda Finance Corp. - which was fine with me, since my local Credit Union that I've used in the past only offered 4.5%.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    The financing applies to Accords as well as Civics.
  • daveinphoenixdaveinphoenix Member Posts: 5
    My dealer guy who has always been very straight with me says the dealor incentive on the EX-6 expires the end of July (Sat).

They have the car I want and might be trying to motivate me to decide. I have decided...to wait for the 05's even if sell near sticker at first. But by the end of the year more bargains should be available again.
  • twizard27twizard27 Member Posts: 9
    Sounds like your dealer is trying to motivate you in buying the car. According to Edmunds, the dealer incentives end on Monday, Aug. 2 for the EX-V6.
  • richards38richards38 Member Posts: 606
    I think you're smart to wait for the '05 which is what I did last year when I bought an '04 which probably hadn't been in the dealer's inventory for as long as a week.

There will be no line forming to buy '05 Honda Accords. They are GREAT cars but they'll begin the 3rd year of their 5 year cycle and they're as common as belly buttons. No, the discount won't be as much as the reduction in price you'll enjoy if you buy a 2004 car, but the '05 will be a FULL year newer and will include whatever advantages the new model might bring. And you'll still get a discount.

In my case, I bought the '04 Accord EX-L AT in August, '03 for just over 91% of the sticker price--invoice plus $238.

That was a good price at the time and you should be able to do just as well. Good luck!........Richard
  • jhs70jhs70 Member Posts: 213
    Anyone get any good prices on one of these in the Washington/Baltimore area? What dealership? Thanks.
  • gatrhumpygatrhumpy Member Posts: 126
    Back in January, I got my Graphite Grey 2004 EX V6 with navigation for $27,300 OTD. I got my car for invoice minus $200. I got it from College Park Honda.
  • rbell2rbell2 Member Posts: 180
    He is probably being truthful (technically). Yes, that incentive package will probably end when he says. Then, guess what, a new one will start!! So, he is not lying - just not telling everything - typical car salesmanship and tactics.

In Memphis there are about 70 EX-V6's between 3 lots and I guarantee you all incentives and more will continue until they are gone. I am trying to decide if I keep my '98 EXL for 2 more years of very low cost driving or if I go get a new '04 EX-V6. I am leaning towards keeping it.
  • iluvhondailuvhonda Member Posts: 6
    rbell2, r u in Memphis. I just bought a EX V6 in Memphis. Had a bad experience with the dealership (Wolfchase), but love the car.
  • bigbutrbigbutr Member Posts: 111
    So far I have solicited a pair of offers from dealerships and another from Carsdirect.com on the 2004 EX V6.
    One dealer and Carsdirect had the same quote - $24,243 before TT&L while another was close, at $24,299 before TT&L.
    Looking at Edmunds, the first two are $1 under invoice, but that's to be expected given the $500 dealer cash at the moment. Does anyone think the dealer cash will increase, as even up to $1000 would be nice?
    I like the power of the V6, but realistically think the 4 cylinder would do me fine and save me around $2000 as well.
    Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    You should buy a 2004 well below invoice now because it'll be a year old in a month. Consider waiting for a 2005 which you can surely buy for less than $500 over invoice and it'll be a FULL year newer.
    If there is any question about your choosing between the V6 and the 4 cyl., be sure to test drive the 4 because it will amaze you--very smooth and quick......Richard
  • albanyalbany Member Posts: 2
    Looking at a brand new '04 EX-L, with satellite radio but no navigation system. Any recent quotes or buying information would be appreciated.
  • swatikumarswatikumar Member Posts: 5
    hi ! I'm looking at the accord ex v6 with L and navi- could someone guide me about the prices I should be aiming at ?
    What would be considered a great deal on that ?
    thanks.
    Tk
  • hampster5hampster5 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone get any good prices on one of these in the Washington/Baltimore area? What dealership? Thanks.
    Yes - I'm posting #5108 above. Got my Accord well below invoice at Heritage Honda in Westminster, MD. O'Donnell Honda on Rt. 40 in Ellicott City had an even better price, but not exactly what I was looking for. They might be a good place to try. Sounds like they're dumping their 2004s.
  • twizard27twizard27 Member Posts: 9
    I just got a quote for a 2004 Accord Coupe Ex V6 w/Nav at $24,898. This is in the central Fl. area. Note this dealer has a mandatory dealer fee of $500, so the final price will be around $25,398 + TTL.
  • gandaalfgandaalf Member Posts: 2
    Regarding EX-L 4 cyclinder Automatic..

The best quote I've received is $21783 + TTL + $51 doc fee.
    A dealer about 100 miles away is willing to throw in mud-flaps and all season floor mats for that price. I might end up buying locally instead and paying $191 for the accesories.

Comments from the peanut gallery about this deal appreciated.
    Thanks.
    G
  • btorlvbtorlv Member Posts: 16
    Just did it yesterday 23.300 with rear wing no trade in no other extras at closing 1.9 3 year term. I almost paid 24.288 last week because all the lost leaders in the L.A. papers. Lucky for me I read the board and was able to se what everyone was paying for the coupe. thank you
  • cardreamscardreams Member Posts: 18
    Hi !
    I just got an offer of 25 K for an accord v6 with navi and L auto- what do you guys think of that ? Is it one I should jump for and get ?
    (invoice 26041)
  • stacey_burkestacey_burke Member Posts: 88
    That is a good price. It does depend on where in the country you got the quote. In California, that seems about the price they are selling for while as you go east about 1/2 way through the country the price is about 1000 more. Again the price seems ok but if you are in Calf. you may be able to get it a little lower. I bought mine last month in Roseville, CA for 25,201.
    this is NY :)
    I have been given quotes -all 25,500 plus.
    Do u think I should wait for the 2005 ?
  • stacey_burkestacey_burke Member Posts: 88
    I love my car. I don't thank there are many if any real changes in 2005. The only one I read about was lighted controls on the steering wheel. NOT a big deal to me. You will see posts all of the time about buying a year old car. My answer is that the car costs less and my mileage will be less when I do sell. I believe that it the cost of the car when you buy it is more important to me. I plan to keep the car for a long time. Play around a little on Kelley blue book www.kbb.com and put in a 98 accord and a 99 accord. Put 15,000 less miles on the 98 and see the prices.

These are the prices I got for the exact same car one a 98 7,950 99 9,000 both with 90,000 miles. That is 1,100 Difference - I got more than that off the price of the car so I believe I am ahead.
  • dazdaz Member Posts: 5
    I think i may have gotten about the best price possible on a EX-L 4 cylinder manual coupe today. 22k even, out the door. No other dealer would touch it and a few refused to believe me or told me they were just agreeing to that price to get me in and then work me. Well, it's in my garage as of a few hours ago and it's paid for in cash. I did a lot of research, but you all helped me a lot with all the posts here on pricing. One thing that helped me is that i was very stern with all dealers telling them in more than these few words that if they won't do this exact deal, tell me now because i will not pay a penny more and i don't want to play games. Just tell me yes or no and save us both a lot of time. Out of about 15 dealers i went to or talked with via phone and email, no one else would consider that deal. At least here in L.A. a few told me to buy it if the deal was indeed real, another told me to tell him where so he could buy a few. i think thats about as cheap as a 2004 leather coupe is gonna get, at least here in L.A. Wonderful car too.
    You did extremely well, I think. Could be because a 4 cyl. EX-L coupe with manual transmission is not very popular and the dealer wanted to get rid of it before the '05s arrive in a couple of weeks. That worked to your advantage. Enjoy the car--it's a winner!......Richard
  • dazdaz Member Posts: 5
    Thats a big part of it. They are rare, which is amazing to me because i would think a lot of people who want an LX leather coupe would want a manual since it's a somewhat sporty car. But i noticed very few manuals in the entire accord line and was told by a couple salesmen how they are rare. And when i searched for one, they had one of the very few EXL's with manual in california. But still that price was amazing. I debated for a week whether to do it or not because i have a clean civic with only 40k miles. so it was hard to justify it since it wasn't necassary, just desirable. But once i sat in it and drove it there was no turning back because i loved it and knew it wasn't likly i'd find another deal like that any time soon.
    Check the Edmunds invoice price for the car you want. Unless you can buy for about $1,000 or more UNDER invoice, I think you should wait for the 2005 if you can.

Why buy now what will be very shortly a one year old car unless you save substantially? The '05 price may or may not go up, but if so, it won't be by much-- there's too much competition and the Accord will start the 3rd year of its 5 year cycle--nobody is waiting in line for any Accord except maybe the upcoming V6 hybrid.

You should be able to buy an '05 for about $500 or less over invoice, so if you can't save at least $1,500 (or more) on an '04 it makes sense to wait, Just my opinion.......Richard
    Thanks Richards,
    I'm getting this for a 1041 below invoice. It seems that thats not bad for the fact that this is in NY. But then what do I know- this is my first car. Do u know of any changes that the 2005 has that are worth waiting for ?
    thanks,
    Tara
  • sonicsonic Member Posts: 3
    Richards, pardon my newbie question, but do u mean an out-of-door price should be $500 less than the invoice for it to be a good deal?

I'm considering buying a V6 LX sedan (no optionals). Invoice price is $21,458 (dest included) and the TMV is $21,672. What out-the-door price can be cosidered a good deal? I got quotes of 23,790, 23,370, 23,333 out-the-door, in/near chandler,AZ. $23790 is the MSRP. The quotes are from last week (the $500 honda to dealer incentive expires today).

Also, What fico score is considered a good one. A dealer mentioned an interest of 3.75% (2 yrs) subject to good credit history, where as Bankone's interest rates start at 5.5%. I was always under the impression that a bank's interest rates are usually the lowest.
    Thanks!
  • ifiifi Member Posts: 7
    I bought Accord LX (without side airbags) last week and paid 18500 - the car has mud guards and side stripes...

After reading the posts here I think it wasn't a great deal :(
  • crankkycrankky Member Posts: 45
    Well, after months of reading these forums, car reviews, Edmunds TMV, I finally completed the purchase of my 2004 Accord EX on Saturday. Thanks to all of the good information on this site. I think I ended up with a pretty good price.

First, I sent an email request for quote to all the Honda dealer within about 150 miles. Surprisingly, I only received one reply back and that was for about $250 over invoice. So, then I used the Edmunds form for requesting a dealer price. Bingo! Less than 24 hours later I had a quote for the car I wanted at invoice price. However, it was for my second color choice. Then on Saturday, I took that quote into the showroom of a dealer that was much closer. They happened to have my first color choice (Desert Mist) and we proceeded the negotiation.

He first wanted to know what other pricing I had and I showed him the quote from the first dealer. He then proceed to look up the invoice price of the Accord on Edmund's web site, of all places! I told the salesman that I at least expected them to meet that price or beat it. After a bit of back and forth negotiating we agreed on the following:

Accord EX 4 cyl w/splash guards - $19990 + TTL + fees.
    Total out the door, on the road for $21500, which by my calculations is about $750 under invoice.

The kicker was that they were also able to beat my credit union's interest rate too (3.79 vs. 4.45).

One of the main things that I learned through this process is that you have to be well prepared. Know exactly what you want and what you will pay before you ever set foot in the showroom. They will try to play all kinds of games with you to squeeze out more profit for themselves. To them, an uninformed buyer is the best kind.

So all in all, I'm very pleased with my deal.
  • mrmwavemrmwave Member Posts: 6
    In getting ready to go down to the DMV here in Atlanta to transfer my old plates to my new '04 accord EX v6 sedan purchased 7/23 at Gwinnett Place Honda (see previous post), I reviewed the assorted paperwork.

Idly, I checked the numbers one last time. That's when I confirmed that the Doc Fee is taxed by the GA Dept of Revenue, thereby confirming that Doc Fee is dealer-ese for extra profit!

From the dealer receipt :
    --price 23263 (includes day/night mirror & cargo net)
    --doc fee 399
    --tax 1656 (roughly)

Tax here in Fulton County GA is exactly 7%.

Tax on 22263 is approximately 1628

Tax on (22263+399) is 1656

Services here in Georgia are not subject to sales tax.

So clearly, the 'Documentation Fee' is adjudged taxable by the GA Dept of Revenue.

Therefore, when negotiating, you can use this verification that the 'Doc Fee' is actually profit to dis-arm a salesman's cry that 'he has no profit in the deal'.

In my case, invoice net of holdback and incentives but inclusive of freight was 22947, accessories 215 (best price over the net from handa-accessories.com), leaving a dealer profit of approximately 100 on the sales price PLUS an additional TAXABLE profit of 399 from the 'Doc Fee'. That's 500 profit total.

The dealer had the car less than a week. Money costs roughly 6%, or a half per cent per month. Their cost to hold the car for a week is one month's interest at most, say $115. They made a 500 gross profit.

That's 400%. Good business, in anyone's book.
    The dealership has to make SOME money or they wouldn't be in business. Gwinnett Place is huge and there is a lot of overhead involved. They have to pay someone to do your title work, someone to clean the car, someone to keep track of their huge inventory, etc. Then they have to pay to maintain their huge lot, they have to pay the light bill, water bill, and they give out free ice cream .. There's a lot of expense involved in running a dealership. You still have the same deal you had before you realized the $399 was more or less profit. But $500 profit is a very small percentage on a car that retails for $26,000.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    If it costs Subway $4 to make your $4.50 sandwich, do you just figure out what the interest cost is on the ingredients for the one day they have them before they sell the sandwich to you? I guess that makes their cost for the sandwich only .1 cent, which gives them a gross profit of 50,000%? Gross profit is figured on the cost of the car. $20.5K sale on a $20K car is 2.5% gross profit... Then, take out interest, commission, overhead, etc, etc.. and that will give you a net profit (probably less than 1%).

SSSheewwwwww,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I'm not sure about this, but I understand that ALL '05 Accords will have side curtain airbags standard--an '04 V6 EX has those now so it's not an issue if that's what you're buying.

YOU SHOULD NOT BUY ANY NEW CAR WITHOUT SIDE CURTAIN AIRBAGS in my opinion. Curtain airbags are shown to be very protective in side crashes--I wouldn't have bought my '04 EX-L sedan if it lacked side curtains. OK, I'm a paranoid old geezer, but I do feel safer in a side curtain-equipped car.

The other change for '05 might be illuminated steering wheel controls for the sound system and cruise control. They're not illuminated now. Honda announced 2004 changes from 2003 in mid August of last year, so you'll have the facts in just a couple of weeks, I think.........Richard