Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• caedward2caedward2 Member Posts: 45
    Best time is now. The local paper in Fort Worth today had an ad for 2005 Accord
    LX ATs for $16,900 with an "x" marked thru the price and the words "or best offer" added. I'd say this a great deal!
  • drka0ticdrka0tic Member Posts: 2
    Yeah, that's a good deal. But I'm kinda stuck on the EX model.

I'm wondering though how long it'll take for the older models to depreciate now that the 2006 has been released.

What I would hate to happen is I go out this week and get a 2004 EX for $17K and find out in October that it dropped $2K.
  • carhunter1carhunter1 Member Posts: 1
    Just received the message below. I had requested a quote with leather and 4 doors, but I'm not sure if this includes them or not, since it doesn't explicitly say. 21,636 looks like a solid price, though.

If you want a 2005 EX-L V6,
    at a good pricecome into Rosenthal tomorrow----Red, White, Desert Mist, Black are left as I write tonight. We will be on the last day of a model end Honda Clearance Sale. $ 21, 636 is our Internet Department price, plus fees. If you wait more days, you will be offered 2006 models only, at increased prices and fees due, mostly, to the steep rise in the price of oil.
  • lipitorkidlipitorkid Member Posts: 11
    We just bought a Hybrid Accord w/o NAV (sorry blane, but the extra 1800 was just too much) for a little more than $500 UNDER invoice. We used the internet to talk to several dealerships in orange county, CA and some were a little slow to respond but we got the best responses from the Honda dealership in Anaheim (their internet staff was honest and attentive) and the one in Costa Mesa. We went with the Costa Mesa location.

I almost walked on the deal when they sprung a $249 price on splash guards and wheel locks that they "put immediately on all EX models" but we talked them down on that way too high price. We were prepared to walk at any time, but the transaction went pretty smoothly. They tried to sell me the extended warranty for a "low" price of $1350 after starting at around $2000 (god who jumps on that 2000$ warranty?)- they showed me that it costs them 950 dollars so they are only making $400. I wish I could make $400 on a 5 minute transaction. The finance guy was pretty cool though about us declining everthing and we drove away more than happy. BTW this is my first car with XM radio and I'm already addicted. This is definately not the accord of even 10 years ago. With the leather it almost feels like a luxury car. :)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    That generally doesn't happen with used cars... Actually, that doesn't happen with new cars either... In a couple of months, you might be able to buy a NEW Accord for $400 less than you can now... but, not $2K less....

Some unsolicited advice... late model used Hondas usually aren't very good deals... I wouldn't want to pay $17K for a used '04 Accord EX, when I can go out and buy a brand-new zero-mile '05 Accord EX, right now, for slightly under $20K...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• superchimpsuperchimp Member Posts: 2
    I went to Open Road Honda in NJ to put down a down payment on an accord VP AT which was in transit and supposed to be available for me but they screwed me and told me they dont have it anymore. What was the point of me calling in the night before to confirm that they would have it so I wouldn't have to make the pointless trip to Jersey??

I went to Willis honda and paid $200 more than the price Open Road quoted me but got the car I wanted.

Price was: $15,500 including destination ($800 less than carsdirect price)
    Doc fee $125 and Temporary plate fee of $35
    $15,660 out the door

Costco auto program is a total rip off. Got referred to Bay Ridge Honda which quoted me something like $16,800. $100 over invoice, thanks but when others are selling it $1200 under invoice what's the point?

It's hard to find VPs now. Mostly LXs left in stock. $1500 dollars more for the extra 2 speakers, keyless entry, power doors, filter on the AC and a few more colors to choose from weren't worth it for me.
  • williamyiuwilliamyiu Member Posts: 1
    Just wondering what kind of fee D/FW dealers are charging their customers. Like doc fee, advertising fee, and so on. And I heard that they put in $500 protection package on every cars they sell. Any experience that you can talk them out of those unnecessary stuff.
  • richards38richards38 Member Posts: 606
    Most dealer-added stuff is worthless price-packing and you should be able to negotiate that junk out of any deal. Same goes for any fees the dealer keeps--$50 doc fee is fair and anything over that should be bargained away. Fees the dealer collects and remits to government entities are, of course, different and you must pay those.

If you can't buy an '05 Accord for about $1200 to $1500 UNDER invoice, I think you should walk away from that dealer and go elsewhere.........Richard
  • snowdaddyosnowdaddyo Member Posts: 53
    I was able to negotiate a deal at my local dealership for a Accord EX 4-Cyl AT 4-Dr for $19,700 + TTL. However, I also have an option to buy a "demo" unit with 3200 miles for $18,700. This car was used for 3 months by the head boss at the dealership. I'm considering saving the extra $1K by going this route. Is this a wise decision?
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Nothing wrong with an Accord DX but they sure don't sell well either as new or used cars. I'll bet in ten years, I've sold **maybe** four DX Accords.

Most buyers want the extras, especially air conditioning.
  • surferboysurferboy Member Posts: 1
    Hello all,

Great website; very informative. I am contemplating the purchase of a 2005 Accord EX-L 4 Cylinder and welcome any and all opinions regarding whether to pull the trigger based on these prices or wait four months or longer for '06 prices to start coming down:

$21,700 (includes destination), tax, title, reg. fees (nominal amounts) extra. This dealer has the color I want in stock. Dealer is of course telling me that inventory is very limited; anyone have info on truth to that rumor at this point in time? Torn b/c this car is more or less a year old at this point!

The changes to the '06 are nice but I know that destination will be increased to $550 and that invoice will be approx. 5% higher. However, the changes to the car are nice and I am a big fan of the new color Carbon Bronze Pearl as well as the LED lights.

I would think that price should come down when the '06 EX-L's hit dealer lots (they have not yet in this area). My hope is that more dealer cash/rebates from Honda may come available in September (I believe there may be more dealer $$). Any and all thoughts and opinions regarding this deal will be very appreciated. To buy the 2005 or the 2006, that is the decision I need to make. Thanks in advance for all info provided!! :confuse:
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    snowdaddyo,

While the "demo" vehicle may be fine, it may also have been driven very hard by potential buyers over those three months. I fear owning any vehicle where multiple demonstration test drivers may have said to themselves "Let me stomp on the pedal and let her rip so I can see how she does". Why should they care what consequences that might mean for the engine and transmission?

I don't think that the peace of mind of owning a non-demo vehicle can be worth less than $1,000. They can tell you that it was "used for 3 months by the head boss", but can they prove that it wasn't also used as I've suggested above?
    blane,

Yes, I've considered what you mentioned as a possibility, and asked the sales guy about it. He said that the comptroller gets a car of her choosing every three months, and that she used it as her personal vehicle for that time period. He said that it wasn't used regularly as a test drive vehicle. How can they prove it wasn't used like you suggested? Thanks for making me think further about this.
    I forgot to mention that the car looked like it hadn't been driven in a while because the exterior looked like it could have used a good car wash and it hadn't been vacuumed yet. I've never seen a test drive vehicle that wasn't sparkling clean on the inside and out, and it didn't seem like this car was used for that purpose.

Also, how much would someone pay for a used 2005 Accord EX 4-cyl AT 4-dr with 3K miles? My thought was $18,700 would be considered a bargain? I dunno where to begin comparing because blue book has the value around $21K, which I know is high.
    For $1000, I wouldn't even consider it... Brand-new in the wrapper... that is the way you want your car....

If you are buying a used car, you want to buy it from someone that is responsible for it, if it breaks.... who takes the hit on re-sale if they abuse it...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• richards38richards38 Member Posts: 606
    I bought my '04 Accord EX-L on 8/26/03 (Happy 2nd Birthday!), so it was one of the first '04s available. Paid $238 over invoice plus $50 "document" fee plus tax and license which was a good deal at the start of the model year.

Price was $22,700 plus $50 doc fee + tax and license. An end of year Accord should be about $21,000 to $21,500 before fees and taxes, so you're pretty close if you want a new, one year old car.

While the '06 Accord does incorporate more design changes from the 2003--'05 cars, there will not be a rush to buy new '06s in my opinion. So you can expect discounts as soon as the new Accords are available for sale. There might be a small price increase, but competition is too severe for a major price boost at this time.

Unless you can buy an '05 for about $1200 to $1500 UNDER invoice, you'd probably be better off waiting for an '06 which won't be much of a wait............Richard
  • aggie10aggie10 Member Posts: 17
    I was just quoted $22,600 + TTL for a 2005 Accord EX-L with leather seats, but without the navigation system. Is this a good deal? I live in the DFW Metroplex.IT seems like I might be able to get a better deal when the 06's come out, but I don't know when they come out. Can anyone please offer any advice? Should I accept this price? Thanks for any feedback!
  • glanwinglanwin Member Posts: 28
    The only thing make me thinking about buying a 06 accord now is the DRL (Daytime Running Light). I would never think about buying any Honda or Acura before 2006 model. I still do not why Honda are so slow in puting such an important safty feature.
    May I ask why you feel so strongly about having DRLs? There are plenty of people who think those are completely unnecessary... eg, http://www.lightsout.org/
    kyfdx,

This car, even though it has miles on it, is legally considered "new" because it has never been titlled, and would have the full manufacturer's warranty on it.
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    There a very easy fix to any pre-06 model - turn on the headlights. :shades:

Biker, who would probably never own a car with DRLs.
    Can anyone please comment on the price I was quoted? Thanks a lot.
    Abused cars don't break under warranty... The abuse shows up later, as the car ages...

If you were getting it for $2500 lower, it might be worth it.... but, not for $1000... If you were leasing the car, my advice would be different...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• arbjr344arbjr344 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, i just wanted to say thanks to this board i was able to get a great deal on a Accord Cpe LX V6 from Willis Honda in Burlington, NJ. paid approx 19800 before taxes. Service was great and i couldnt be happier with the car. Thanks for all the help!
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    Scroll through the last 2-3 weeks worth of posts to see the ballpark figures other people are getting. It seems that 1200-1500 under invoice is a good deal.
  • piturrapiturra Member Posts: 30
    (QUOTE)
    aggie10 - "Can anyone please comment on the price I was quoted? Thanks a lot."
    (UnQUOTE)

OK, ... last May 2nd, my very 1st email (using Edmond's "GET DEALER QUOTES" option the night before), ... I was quoted $21,086 including DEST + TTL for …

… 2005 Honda Accord 4 cyl. AT EX-L PZEV Sedan!!!

The next Dealer on the list called, said they can match, ... then got my permission to send me their boiler-plated personal email quote which had a higher quote, but matching the 1st Dealer's email quote was no problem!

Received the email and they not only guaranteed price matching any legitimate local Dealer's quote, but will beat it by $100!!!

So, ... my Final tally Anderson Honda in Palo Alto:
    Price: .........$20,986.00 ($1,800 below INV)
    Tire Fee: ...........$8.75
    Doc. Fee: ..........$45.00
    8.5% tax: .......$1,735.06
    DMV (Est): ........$187.00
    ======================
    TOTAL: .........$22,961.81 OTD (Out the Door!) :blush:

Paid for it on May 4th and waited :cry: (all 4 cyl EX-L's Sedan's were sold out locally)...

... took delivery :D off the truck on May 6th w/4.5 miles on the Odometer!!!

Presently, I have over 3,600 miles and after 11 tanks of gas, my overall MPG = 27 AVG (85% City / 15% HW) The driving experience has been fun and glorious!!!

At this point with the 2006 models coming, you should at the very least, ... match what I got if not beat it by a few hundred $$$'s!

Hope this helps,
    Phil
    Pic's of my 2005 Honda Accord 4 cyl. AT EX-L PZEV Sedan
    My Epinions.com 2005 Honda Accord Review
    I must have spoken to the wrong guy at Willis. Called them up and the sales rep told me that he couldn't touch those prices, the same prices people seem to be getting on this board."We're not interested in making that kind of deal, " he said. Have a nice day.
    Thanks Phil and Biker! Your feedback has been extremely helpful!!!
  • joonjoon Member Posts: 121
    Did you talk to the internet sales dept. or the regular sales rep? Many dealers have internet depts. that work completely independent from the regular sales guys. The theory is that since they're not paying the middle-man (the full service sales guy), they're able to pass some or all of the savings to the buyer. Why do they do it? Competition! If you haven't talked to the internet sales (or better yet, correspond through e-mail) that's what I would do.
    Actually, they never responded to any of my e-mails, so I had to call them up. I asked who handled internet sales, and the receptionist said a few of them cover that department.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    We don't edit messages, but our policy prohibiting posting the names of salespeople is listed above the "post a message" box, and thus, posts containing that information are removed.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• superchimpsuperchimp Member Posts: 2
    My first quote over the phone from Willis was rather expensive. I
    called them up again with a quote from Open Road Honda and the guy I talked
    to gave me a quote that was very close to it.

Give it a shot, it all depends on who you're dealing with.
  • mahhammahham Member Posts: 3
    Yesterday I bought 2005 Accord LX Seden Auto, Dark Blue color from Atamian, Tewksbury, MA as $17,600. I know I paid more compare to what people buying from New Jersy. But I couldn't reduce the price and also in Boston Area no one has the blue color. So that makes me pay more. Out the door price $18,744.
    Still... a screaming deal...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• ygraceygrace Member Posts: 8
    caedward2, this sounds like a great deal for an LX. Could you tell me what dealership was advertising this?
  • caedward2caedward2 Member Posts: 45
    Vandergriff Honda on I-20 in Arlington.

Let me know if you would like to see the ad.
    I'm picking up our Accord 4-Dr EX 4-Cyl AT (Silver) tomorrow. Here's the breakdown:

Base + Destination: $19,734
    Delivery: $100
    6% PA Sales Tax: $1190
    Tags & Title: $166
    ------------------------------------------
    OTD: $21190

I'm so far very pleased with the internet sales rep at the dealer. Very low-key negotiations, no slick sales tricks, gave me best offer he could do without haggling. Got approved for the Honda 2.9% financing deal which started today... glad to save some bucks on the loan too.

One thing he mentioned was that the car was going to have about 50 miles on it because it was being delivered from another dealer, which is about 30 miles away.
  • suzannaflsuzannafl Member Posts: 84
    Hi Snowd,

I got a couple faxes this afternoon about the 2.9% financing.
    I can't find any details, could you share?

How many months?

Thanks,
    S
    The 2.9% is for 36 months. I'm not sure what the other rates are. I know it started sometime today; apparently they're not really advertising it. I had to ask the sales rep, and he had to check with the finance guy. Who sent you the faxes?
  • hunt4carhunt4car Member Posts: 12
    Hi,

I just saw a dealer and the price they are quoting for a 2005 Honda Accord EX Leather V6 engine (graphite pearl) is $23,200 (incl,. dest charge). This sounds like a reasonable price, but I wasn't sure. The car is a demo and has about 4000 miles on it (but the warranty is 3 years from date I would buy or 40,000 miles).

Love to know what you all think?

Hunt4car
  • suzannaflsuzannafl Member Posts: 84
    Hi Snowd,

A couple of dealers sent the faxes.
    I wish they would get their price to what you got!

S
  • chucko3chucko3 Member Posts: 793
    With that price, you could get a brand new 05EXV6.
    Thanks chucko3,

That makes me think a reasonable price for the Demo 05AccordEX-Leather, V6 is about 1200 less than 23200 - say 22000? Would you agree? Thanks.

Hunt4car
  • ducatiguyducatiguy Member Posts: 11
    After several days of weighing the pros and cons of a 2005 EX V6 sedan against the pros and cons of a 2006 EX V6 sedan, I decided that the lower purchase price and immediate availability were most important. Visited several Kansas City dealers, couldn't get a solid idea of what they could do on price. Didn't want to sit in someone's office doing the back and forth... Telephoned Schofield Honda in Wichita -responsive folks, aggressive on price even though I had not committed to a purchase. Telephoned Topeka and Manhatten (KS) too - did not like their color choices. Telephoned Roper Honda in Joplin at 3:30 pm on Aug 27, and in just 15 minutes, I bought a new 2005 graphite EX V6 sedan for 23695. This includes the 550 destination fee and their 95 dealer doc fee. Also included 'mud' flaps and wheelwell protectors. Picked the car up on 8-30, total time at Roper was a little more than an hour - primarily to complete the financing through American Honda Finance, via Roper Honda. And yes, AHF is offering 2.9, 3.9 and 4.9 through Sept. 6.

Bottom line - We love the car. Also, great folks at Roper, it was a pleasure to do business there and we will happily travel the 140 miles (one way) to do business with them again.
    Hi,

I just had an interesting experience speakign with a dealer about buying a demo. I was looking at a graphite Honda Accord EX-L V6 2005 demo and the dealer was asking $23,550 (incl. destination) and another silver Honda Accord EX-L V6 2005 demo (same miles) and the dealer was asking $25,000 (incl. destination).

There is virtually no difference in the cars except color (one is graphite and the other silver), but a $1500 difference. I asked the dealer why that might be and got two responses - both of which sounded odd. They were:

1. Silver is the more popular color ($1500 more popular!)
    2. The Silver model is not registered as a Demo with Honda and hence the dealer doesn't get the cash back incentive to sell this Demo. That seemed odd because the silver model was older as a demo and the graphite more recent.

Do either of these explanations sound plausible (the mileage is the same in both cars)?

Thanks

Hunt4car
  • whitecloud1whitecloud1 Member Posts: 268
    Sounds like he got the impression that you really liked the Silver.
    Oops. I encountered a hiccup. Dealer informs me that the car has more mileage than originally anticipated. 200+ miles instead of the 50 he originally spoke about. Do I need to take action?
  • sparky7sparky7 Member Posts: 15
    Did they give you any indication when the 2006,s will be available?
  • sparky7sparky7 Member Posts: 15
    Does anyone think the price of the Accord Sedan EX V-6 2005 will lower until the 2006,s arrive.I see prices on this site at 23000 which seems good.Also does anyone have any indication when they will arrive?
  • chucko3chucko3 Member Posts: 793
    To me, demo car is a used car. I would look at the Blue book value for it. I wouldn't buy it for 22K. For another 1K, I would buy a new car.
    Btw, if the car has popular color, it should be less expensive because it's easy to find.