Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Removing stickers, labels, decals, glue, sap...

13»

Comments

• 89er89er Member Posts: 1
    ">My car has racing stripes on the side and I want to remove them to put on my own logo. Anyone know how to get them off. Their pretty old. :blush:
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    Before we can help ya get them off, how are they put on? Paint over clear? Paint under clear? Decal? Tape??? Many ways to get it off depending on the way its put on.
  • martelmartel Member Posts: 3
    ok, this was asked a few times in this thread and I don't think it was answered. i am looking to purchase a 2003 black toyota tacoma.the truck is beautiful, paint seems to bee in nice condition- BUT it has really ugly decals on both sides.

I have seen how to remove them, but at this point what I want to know is what will the paint job look like removing decals from an older vehicle? Worse than the decal would be a darker black in the shape of said ugly decal.

anyone have ideas, experience with this?
  • iverieliiverieli Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1992 BMW 525i and I wanted to debadge it. I wanted to take off the "525i" from the back of the car, but before I do so, I wanted to make sure I do it right without ruining the paint.

Can anyone give me some good advice on how to do this properly? I dont know how the BMW numbers are glued/pinned to the car, so I dont even know where to start.
  • dahuberdahuber Member Posts: 53
    Something to consider before you do this is the age of your car. If you have the factory paint, it will be a lot lighter than what's behind the decal. I like to debadge too, but I've never tried it on a car older than a couple years.

Having said that, if the badge is raised, try the fishing line technique listed in the posts above. Run into resistance and you've got a pin to remove and a hole to fill. Good Luck!
    Removing any decal or stripe or anything from a vehical over about a month old the paint colors will be differant.
  • co8237co8237 Member Posts: 1
    Is there any possible way to remove blood from automotive paint? It is varmint paint in case you are wondering.
  • iverieliiverieli Member Posts: 2
    Try rubbing alcohol. It is safe on paint and will remove many things...just make sure you use 70% isopropyl alcohol and not the stronger 90-91%.
    Using a light compound...such as a "final cut" type (more of a fine compound then a heavy one) will usually take this off. Just make sure to wax part again to keep the paint protected and looking good.
  • paseopaseo Member Posts: 1
    i recently bought a 92 toyota paseo 2 dr coupe off a mate. It has a decal down the sides that take up most of the car.
    The decals are stickers and they have been on for about two and a half years. The car is red. (the paint on the car is relatively good condition. after a cut and polish it looks great)what is the best way to successfully remove the decal. is it possible to take it off without leaving a mark.
    thanks heaps
    ben
    If it is just a big sticker as you imply one of the best ways would probably be to use a heat lamp if you have access to it, otherwise a hair dryer works too. Heat up a small area at a time and slowly start to peel the sticker off.
  • huwenfuthuwenfut Member Posts: 5
    Does any one know if the Dodge and Cummings emblems on a 2006 truck are pinned on or are attached with adhesive. I would hate to try to take them off and ruin my paint job. Would the floss method leave any marks it they are pinned.
    If they are pinned it would probably leave two holes in your fender.
  • lb200412lb200412 Member Posts: 3
    I figured out how to get the Nissan Emblems and the SER Emblems off. But i cand figure out how to get the sticker that says specv off they are on the bottom of the car on each side towars the front can anyone help.
    Go to an auto parts store and look for what the call and eraser wheel. Its just a round eraser that will attach to a drill to rub off the sticker. You will probably need to buff the area a lil to make it look good again.
  • lb200412lb200412 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Man
  • swcooperswcooper Member Posts: 2
    I have just bought a truck from the company I work for (2005 Dodge Ram 1500). It is white and on either front door there were stickers which I got off with few problems and removed all the adhesive as well. But, now where those stickers were on the doors you can still see the design in the paint. These stickers were only on there for just over a year, but more people buying there trucks have had the stickers on there much longer. Would a light rubbing compound take this out or will it be a more involved process? Thanks for any help at all anyone can give me!
    I would try some finish cut compound and see if that takes it off. Anything more coarse then that i would have a professional handle if you are not familiar with it. If your not careful with a heavy compound you can burn right thru the clear coat and paint (learned that the hard way in the body shop a few years ago!)
  • swcooperswcooper Member Posts: 2
    Funny you replied with that message yesterday since I actually took my truck to a professional detailing shop and had it compounded and it didn't do squat. Even the guy there was really surprised that it did not take the images out. The next step is to have the doors wet sanded I guess and then buffed, but if that doesn't work I might just have to have them sanded a little more and re-shot. I'm not sure how long I will keep the truck but when I trade it in I'm sure no one wants our company logo in both front doors!lol. Thanks for the help though!
  • dhellerdheller Member Posts: 28
    Okay, I know it sounds really strange, but you know when you get that white residue on black plastic pieces from car wax, hard to get off, right ? Not so - try some peanut butter, yup, it really works.

I have wax all over on mine, and I had heard about this. It looked so bad, so I thought I would try it. It really does work. Take a small amount of peanut butter on your finger tip, and rub in a swirling motion into the plastic, cover it well, let it set for a bit, and wipe off with a clean rag. If you have a big dog, point him to it.

Seriously, this really works, and the black plastic looks like new. I hope it holds up, as it made a great deal of difference.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    Just use a rattle can of quick drying Black paint on them. Works quick & easy.
  • quadringquadring Member Posts: 20
    My wife ran over a can of spray paint and "painted" the side of her car. It got on the paint as well as the black plastic moldings. I did some research to find removal methods. First I tried the clay bar/lubricant method...it removed a tiny bit of the overspray, but not very effective. Next I tried a flat razor blade and lubricant...somewhat effective but leaves minor scratches in the clearcoat. The best method I have found...easy, cheap, extremely effective: a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser!!! Keep it wet, apply some "elbow grease" and the overspray comes right off with no damage to the car's finish. Amazing!!! It even cleans the rough-texture plastic areas! Apply some wax when done.
    How thankful is she that it was a simple rattle can instead of a toddler with a rattle?
  • decalremoverdecalremover Member Posts: 1
    Safest and natural product to remove sap, blood, goo from a car after a decal has been removed (or no decal) is eucalyptus oil. You can get it from most major supermarkets (also be careful of using chemicals on painted surfaces, as if is a re-spray, you can affect the paint)

If you need to remove decals try decal removal site as has tips on how to remove them and videos
    They are taking responsibility for their mistakes.
  • lhannalhanna Member Posts: 1
    my7 vw beetle has original vw decal artwork on it. Unfortunately due to the recent snow and frost a few on the bonnet have started to peel off! Can anyone tell me what it is safe to stick them down with. Would appreciate any help

Thanks

Lisa :confuse:
  • mary_smithmary_smith Member Posts: 5
    I saw reading through this thread that some people had used Magic Erasers to remove oversprayed paint. I just wanted to add my 2 cents about it.

There are now many generic versions that can be picked up in a 2 or 4 pack at the local dollar store that work just as well as the name brand Mr. Clean.

I used one to remove all the sap from the hood of my truck and it never bothered the finish at all, only did what I wanted and removed the sap. Just remember to keep them wet and leave them lay flat when you use them. Otherwise they tear up really easy.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I wouldn't put any kind of adhesive on that paint if you can avoid it. What year VW is this? I would think you could buy the decals aftermarket, peel off the old with a hair dryer (gently) and start all over.
  • detailer96detailer96 Member Posts: 4
    Working at a dealership with nothing but oak & elm trees along the length of our lot, we have to remove 'tree sap' (continuously) 2X a year---spring AND fall! The fastest, gentlest way I have found is 99% Isopropyl Alcohol, applied lightly with a 'fair' microfiber towel. The towel makes a lot of the difference, as it so SO much less abrasive, by comparison. Load a simple spray bottle, and 'fan' it onto the corner of the micro-fiber. Lightly rub in circles ON the spot(s)! Can clean a heavily 'sapped' Cross-Over in under an hour. HINT: Move your head around A LOT...play the 'light' you have across all the body panel...INCLUDING the side panels!!!
    Spray the alcohol 'onto the corners' of the towel....and use the 'center' section (which should be in the palm/heel of your hand) to do a quick wipe to remove the initial haze. For a final cleaning, a simple spray & wipe with most aerosol galass cleaners usaing a clean/moderate microfiber will do the job---even on black finishes!!!
    Let me know how this works out for you. DOES require 'learning' to 'FEEL' the sap under the towel. Also 'requires' that you NOT wear any sort of 'rubber'latex' glove on your hands---takes away the 'sense of touch'!!!
    As to the 'sticker removal'...the 'hair-dryer' will help remove the sticker...not the adhesive, however. Simple cigarette lighter fluid 'will' work....but is easier to buy a simple 'adhesive remover' from your local auto-parts store or from a lot of 'arts & craft' stores. ALSO...be sure to use a nice/clean/light towel...and a soft touch to rub it out with. Have used this combination for YEARS at a number of dealerships to remove stickers and 'pin-striping'!!! May have/WANT to 'share' the expense with friends...
    soupboy54
    AS an auto detailer for a dealership, the fastest...EASIEST way I have ever found is either a light, liquid rubbing compound...OR...the SAME wax initially used, on a simple towel corner. Lightly rub it in for a few minutes with your finger tips...then wipe it off. USUALLY comes off!!! IF is a bit 'stubborn', try applying/rubbing it in (in a circular motion) with a light/soft fingernail scrub brush...then wipe it off.
    Usually does the trick.

soupboy54
    Question #1: The 'plastic plate' you are referring to...is that the little 'decal' on the 'trunk lid' or rear-bumper?
    Question #2: AS to the textured, black components...is also rather easy Perhaps 30 minutes to take care of it ALL!!!
    Soupboy54
    Have you ever tried WD-40. Some tell me that also works. Yeah, hair dryer is risky--it would only be my last weapon of choice.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    For sticky adhesive there is none better than Goo Gone. WD40 is a little too corrosive IMO.
  • malroymalroy Member Posts: 1
    I bought a black police explorer that has had the decals removed. The paint that was covered and protected by the decals is much more shiny than the paint that was exposed to the weather. It is easy to see the city name and police logo shining.
    What can be done to blend the shiny and duller paint?
    This could be tough, because with modern cars you have clear-coat, so buffing and waxing can only do so much--you can't "color-sand" like in the old days. So buffing might help but if the oxidation is really bad on the car, you have your limits----and the last thing you want to do is cut too deeply into the clear coat.

Also, if you aren't skilled with a buffer, stay away from any edges on the car.
    Amen Shifty. Find a good detailer and use some rubbing compound to gloss up the dull areas of the car. Otherwise i hope you got a great deal on the car cuz you might have to live with it, otherwise repaint the whole vehical.
  • smallfootsmallfoot Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    FYI, just got something called "Tarminator" at NAPA. The salesman said he'd used it to remove decals. It took the residual decal adhesive right off my car, and it doesn't seem to have hurt the paint at all. It's main indication, obviously, is to remove tar, plus sap, etc. $5.79, if anyone's interested.

Thanks to whoever posted the message about not using WD-40 on paint. I was about to do that, since it worked so well on the adhesive on the windshield. I still recommend it for that application.
  • leenoleeno Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    Before I begin a new post, I was hoping I could get some feedback on this one. I need to know what is the best way to remove sticker residue from the "inside" of the car. I had some felt w/ adhesive backing on the steering wheel and when it got really warm and I removed the decal, it left some tackiness from the adhesive behind. What is the best way to clean this without harming the vinyl or leather?

Thanks!
  • decal_removerdecal_remover Member Posts: 2
    To get wax off the car I would recommend a cirtus degreaser - it's great for removing any goo or adhesive (the stuff that smells like oranges).

If you want to remove a decal from a car or car window, I would recommend a wonder wheel. it's made from soft rubber so won't affect the paint and is much quicker than using a heat gun (also takes off most of the adhesive or goo).

You can see a video of the wonder wheel at www.decalstickerremover.com

Hope this helps
  • decal_removerdecal_remover Member Posts: 2
    There are a few options to remove a decal / sticker from your neon car. They are:

1) heat gun: works fine, though does leave residue afterwards. (I would recommend citrus degreaser to remove this. You can get this from most hardware or supermarkets
    2) metal blade: definitely not as can scratch the surface
    3) plastic wonder balde: generally okay, though can be hard to find an edge to start it. Better for smaller / more delicate ares
    4) wonder wheel: definitely works and removes most of the goo aswell. You do need to have a drill to use with it (it's basically a rubber wheel that attaches to a drill and strips the decal away without affecting the surface)...

i saw a video demo at www.decalstickerremover.com