Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Envoy Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• smfransmfran Member Posts: 432
    If it's the vehicle you want from a dealer you want to do business with, why wouldn't you take it?
  • rtcrisanrtcrisan Member Posts: 2
    (to smfran): I don't know, I guess I'm one of those individuals who like to figure in "excellent deal" somewhere in my buying equation.

Maybe my question could be restated - in today's market, should one pay over dealer invoice? Is is possible in today's market to get a vehicle under dealer invoice? If so, how far under dealer invoice is reasonable?

Thanks.
  • chief132chief132 Member Posts: 3
    That is what I paid for my 2003 Envoy SLT, and that is before my gm card rebate of $1500, so final price was $22,500. It had running boards, polished wheels and 6 disc cd changer. It was well below invoice, it was the ad car in the paper. As far as paying invoice or a few hundred over invoice that is a good place to start, however, the dealership isn't going to sell any vehicle that they don't make money on, so if anyone can explain how they can sell me a vehicle at this price why wouldn't they take $500 over invoice?
    Ask the dealer if this is the best deal they can offer. If so, go to another dealer and negotiate there. You will eventually find the bottom if that is what you are inclined to do. I personally was comfortable with the dealer I usually do business with and accepted his deal of $272.00 over invoice and didn't spend any additional time trying to get the most excellent deal possible.
  • serenoaserenoa Member Posts: 21
    chief132--What am I missing here? I show the base invoice as $30918 incl Ft. The options you mention take it up another $1100. You got $10000 under invoice or do we have a typo here?
    Serenoa, this was not a typo, it was the ad car in the paper, so back to my previous post, a dealership is making money on all cars they sell, so the invoice is a good place to start but they will go below invoice as was the case with my envoy. Also, I didn't trade in a car on this purchase so the dealership didn't make any money that way. They had to make it on the envoy they sold me. So when I hear of $100 or $500 over invoice I think you could get it for cheaper. However, if you are happy with your deal then go for it.
  • serenoaserenoa Member Posts: 21
    chief132: I understand about buying under invoice. I have been offered a deal below invoice,too, with the rebate and discount, but I have never heard of nearly $10,000 below invoice. My dealer is claiming that this is preposterous. What city are you in and do you mind naming the dealer? I would also like to have the MSRP of the vehicle incl freight. Thanks. I am assuming it was new, or you wouldn't have been able to use the GM Card.
    serenoa, I am in Houston TX and the dealership was Champion Pontiac GMC. Yes it was a new vehicle, I don't have the sticker in front of me but it was $34,XXX. It was the ad car like I said earlier, however, the dealership had to make money somewhere in the deal. There were a couple of other ones there that I was interested in that were different colors but the dealership wouldn't come close to matching the price of the one I bought. That is the deal I got so best of luck and let me know how it turns out.
  • sadatxsadatx Member Posts: 70
    Hi,

Was just quoted a price of $38,150 for an Envoy XL with:

SLT
    4x4
    V8
    Sunroof/Leath
    Entertainment System

The MSRP is $43,xxx. Is this a fair deal?

Thanks.
    I didn't think you could get both in the same vehicle.
  • rbarrasrbarras Member Posts: 2
    Entertainment system and Sunroof are not available on same vehicle...unless it's a dealer installed (non-integrated) DVD.

As for price, I got almost the exact same deal...except I also took the 0% financing. I shopped around alot.

Hope this helps.
  • wwhc43awwhc43a Member Posts: 1
    2003 Envoy SLE
    Charcoal Metallic (the most popular color for this vehicle as per GM), dark pewter interior.
    Only options: polished alum. wheels, rear view defogger, bug guard
    MSRP $32237.

final price including all taxes: $25224.

discount+rebates+2000 GM card rebate.

I'm happy. And LOVE the vehicle. A great value, as far as I am concerned.

Buy the ENVOY...not the Trailblazer, if you want approving looks from others!
  • mcangeymcangey Member Posts: 2
    Interpreting the rebates on Edmunds, for instance the current GMC rebates, sometimes confuse me. Surely people get well under invoice deals, so when I see Edmunds stacking the possible rebates, I wonder if there are some rebates like that. The GMC rebates are $4000 and $4500 and edmunds adds them together. They are so accurate about everything else...how about the rebates...anyone??
  • redsoxfan2redsoxfan2 Member Posts: 4
    Purchased a 2003 Envoy SLT. Sticker was $39,200, after much pushing got it to $32,000 including all the rebates. Loaded SUV, with power. Bose stereo, sunroof, heated seats. I had looked at the Toyota 4 runner, but feel this was a much better value. Having had it for a month, no issues. Looking forward to the snow!
  • curtcrandallcurtcrandall Member Posts: 1
    I am about to purchase a 2003 Envoy and I have read all the reviews but how much should I pay not including tax and after all rebates? The price I think I can get one at is $28500. Let me know.
  • golions7golions7 Member Posts: 5
    Edmunds invoice prices are below.

2003 Envoy SLE XL
    $28,005 Base
    $1,250 Options (Side bags,leather,run boards)
    $650 Delivery
    $29,905 Total
    -$3,500 Rebate
                    $26,405 Net Cost(+TTL)

Is this a realistic deal giving the holdback to the dealer(3%)??????????
  • snaabsnaab Member Posts: 74
    2004 indigo blue gmc envoy sle 4wd (pep 3) w/ sunroof, 1SB, and trunk net. msrp was something around $33000. lease came out to $207/ month with tax. 24 months/ 30000 miles. its coming in 6 weeks.
  • delrickdelrick Member Posts: 105
    TRy 407 ot 507 per month....
  • snaabsnaab Member Posts: 74
    well i DO think so. its a gm company vehicle that will be driven by my father for 2 months (about 3000 miles). THEN i will get to start leasing it. i would NEVER pay 400+ a month for this, esp. when i can get a Saab for less.
  • udo_noudo_no Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a new Envoy 4WD SLT w/1SD MOP Indigo Blue at the GMS price and $4750 in rebates! MSRP:$39,880; GMS: $34,853; less Rebates=$30103!! Too bad the GMS pricing is only for employees, but could be an effective negotiating tool for others. I have known others who have bargained at GMS price plus 4% which is pretty close to invoice. I'm new to this forum but will be here often!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    If you used Edmunds.com to research a vehicle you bought from a Denver-area dealership and would like to talk about your experience on camera Saturday, January 31, 2004, please contact [email protected] with your daytime contact information and the name of the dealership. Responses must be in by Friday, January 30, 2004 for consideration. Thanks! Jeannine Fallon PR Director Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• chris77chris77 Member Posts: 1
    Traded in my 2002 Envoy this week. It sucked.

Purchased the same thing:

Black SLT 4X4
    Fully loaded except DVD
    $48,000 Canadian

The 2002 Envoy had a multitude of problems that the dealer could not fix as they called them "normal vehicle operations":

Battery problems, climate control, clacking engine, banging in the suspension, remote controls often didn't work, etc, etc.

Chris Ross
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    A reporter is hoping to interview a recent car-buyer who participated in
    an overnight or 24-hour test drive and then purchased the vehicle.
    Please respond to 248-890-8582, [email protected] or
    [email protected] by 5pm Eastern Wednesday, March 24, 2004.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
  • boyboyboyboy Member Posts: 5
    i was preapproved for 25000 dollars on the gmc website and i have a downpayment of 10000. Does anyone know what a preapproval is good for? does it lock in a set APR? what power does it give me when I walk into a dealership? any help would be greatly appreciated.
    p.s. I'm trying to buy either a 2003 envoy if i can afford it
    p.p.s. i don't have great credit, so can i now use this preapproval for a lease?
    thanks!!!!
  • theicon29theicon29 Member Posts: 6
    Hi everyone, I just received a quote on a 2004 GMC Envoy SLE with option group 1SB, sunroof, power heated mirrors, cruise control, aluminum wheels, leather wrapped steering wheel, roof rail cross bars, and rear window defogger for $24,917 MSRP was $34,560 (I think...thats pretty close though) minus $4,500 in rebates and a $2,500 down payment. Plus, I have $800 in GM card earnings and a trade-in with Kelley Blue Book value of $500...so the total I estimated with taxes, title, and tags was $25,656 which sounds like an incredible deal to me. However, I was told I couldn't get 0% financing with those rebates and at a Ford dealership I visited, I was told that since I am a current graduate student and don't own anything I would need a cosigner and worst-case scenario would pay 5.5% interest on a 60 month financing. I guess my question is, is this an opportunity I should jump at? How can I better determine the interest rate I will pay...or maybe talk them into a lower one?? Thanks everyone, please help!!!
  • cwalker29cwalker29 Member Posts: 20
    I understand your frustrations as a recent grad 1st time new car buyer. I am the proud Texas Longhorn owner of a 2004 Envoy.

You have to pick the %0 fin or the rebates, cant have both. I suggest you take the 0% for a lower monthly. They will come of the price a few thousand anyway, by taking the rebates they will rework the rebate amount back into fin charges. I believe that they take the rebate straight from the MSRP.

Its extremely hard to get a college rebate from GM these days, it is still promoted & advertised, but not awarded. Stupid, huh? I was told I would have to buy a sub $20K car for my grad rebate and I couldnt get the good fin with it.???

My deal: 2004 Envoy SLE 4X2

MSRP 32,980
    Final Price 29,400
    + 0% for 60 months
    + $5000 down

everything u listed, no sunroof, payments $461.

You will be paying the extra $4000 in interest if you take the rebates. if you plan on keeping the truck for the length of the term, go 0%. If you will only have it 2-3 yrs, take the rebate.
    good luck.
  • theicon29theicon29 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks cwalker29, that definitely helped to see someone in my kinda shoes. I have been shopping for an SUV (Explorer, Trailblazer, Envoy) for about a month and got that great deal I mentioned above, but I don't think I am ready to take advantage of that yet. I know a lot of these deals are ending at the end of April, is it a bad idea for me to put off buying now and wait til I am ready or jump at these great offers? I just dont wanna pass them up and lose out on these rebates.
  • roywingsroywings Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2004 Envoy SLE XL with a 3rd row for $24,300 out the door. I love the ride. What i want to know is what does the SLE stand for. Also it was on the sticker (invoice) but not on the body of the car. Only the XL. The only improvement GM should have done on this car would have been power mirrors.
  • mfahymfahy Member Posts: 2
    Owner 2003 GMC Envoy XL SLT (V8)
    MSRP: 43,000
    Paid: 30,500

Purchased: 01/29/04 they were motivated to move this one, its the brownish color, not that pretty, but it was preety loaded so i bought it. It had 85 miles on the OD. i felt like a genius with this deal. But dont we all!
  • hughesjayhughesjay Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a new 2004 envoy slt that listed for 38k I got it for 27,098.00. it has sunroof, side steps, leather, bose 6 disk, travel note, onstar (of course), headlight washers, memory seats, heated seats, polished 17" rims, floor mats. NO sat radio tho'

Got decent discount on sticker price to 35K - 4500 rebate - 1500 for fin thru gmac. The catch is that I qual for the 0% but took the rebate and they gave me a high rate of 7%, which I will refi thru my credit union down 4%.

Did I get the deal of the year or am I an amatuer that got suckered...
  • tweet1205tweet1205 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2004 SLT in June and I love it, XM satelite radio, sunroof, all leather very plush!!
    Sticker was 42800, i got it for 31,080. It is the green mist (like sage green) color with tan interior. I love it!!!
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    Just traded in the wife's 2001 GTP on a new Summit White 2004 Envoy SLT 1SD (loaded w/everything but air ride and XM, which I pulled from her GTP and will install, sticker $40,840). With about $5k in GM employee pricing discount, plus $8k in incentives, not to mention the $3k of equity we had in her GTP (low miles and in awesome shape), paid around $25k OTD. Bought it at Greenfield Pontiac/Buick/GMC in Wisconsin - second car in two months (bought a GTO in late August). Was very happy with the sales and F&I experience (never pressured on mop & glo, barely mentioned warranty, paperwork was right all of the time, in and out in 15 min.).
  • rob9rob9 Member Posts: 1
    listed for 37840 with running boards 6 disk cd, dlux pkg, onstar plus pkg, 1sd pkg, got it for 32519 steel gray matalick
  • thughesthughes Member Posts: 3
    HI

I am on the market for a SUV and considering a 2005 Envoy, however, I am in contact with a dealer who says that he can take me to a auction where the sticker price would be more economic than the dealership price. Anyone had any experience with this that can shed some light on how this can be?
  • pgmompgmom Member Posts: 3
    Looking for a 2005 Envoy, but have ?'s about the purchase process.
    1. I am eligible for opt2 GM discount. Do I wait to reveal that until after lowest price is negotiated?
    2. Can I combine gm discount and gm rebates?
    3. Are discounts based on price before taxes or after?
    I have been researching here and am willing to negotiate but want to know what I can ask for and what is not possible.
    Thank you in advance!
    snaab - Did you say that you are leasing a Envoy for a little over 200.00 a month? That's great! Where can I get a deal like that? Please give me the specifics. Thanks!
    Great deal! How does one get 0% financing? Enlighten me please. Thanks!
  • frankygfrankyg Member Posts: 32
    Does the GM Employee Pricing apply to their Smart Buy program or do you only get $1,000 ash back on a Smart Buy?
  • frankygfrankyg Member Posts: 32
    2005 Envoy SLE demo with 5,800 miles on it. The price with discount and rebates is $26,786.28 plus tax and DMV fees Has Sun & Sound, Onstar & polished wheels. Can I get a better price? Regular w/no miles on it is $27,326.28
  • kagz71kagz71 Member Posts: 12
    I would spend the extra bucks for the one without the miles, that is not a very good deal at all since it was nearly 6,000 miles. That is 6,000 miles less you have a warentee, at least that is what my dealer has told me about demo's

-KAG
  • rowdycleverowdycleve Member Posts: 2
    I've traded my Honda Accord for an Envoy SLE with options. The sticker price was $31770 and that included Polished wheels, homelink, power driver seat, cruise control, and other stuff. After all the rebates the price of the car was $22873 +TTL. That was $1575 less than the price on the Emp. Discount Flyer on the front windsheiId.
    I got $13000 for my accord DX and that was blue book value for my Accord DX.
  • brian211brian211 Member Posts: 69
    Looked at a demo envoy slt. Only one left. Has 5000 miles. Was owners wifes. Msrp 37165 offered for 29197.70. Had a new ranier basically same offer. I'm holding out for around 27000. Any suggestions?
  • locomolocomo Member Posts: 29
    You could have a got a new one for the price he quoted you, before the Employee Pricing ended. However the Employee Pricing still show's up on GM's website. If he continues to play hardball, tell him you'll just wait for the '06 with the lower pricing.
    I say if they want to sell a car they will come down another $2,000 and they should since it is a demo!

I got my wife's Envoy Denali for just under $33,000 with Employee Pricing and that had an MSRP of $41,610 and no miles

-KAG
  • brian211brian211 Member Posts: 69
    I think you guys are right. Unfortunately, there is only one new SLT left on long island! The guy quoted me 30520.10 on a msrp of 37640.00. No moonroof. What you think?
    That isn't bad, I would tell him $30,000 even and you have a deal....HA! but that is just me!

-KAG
  • gmchater2gmchater2 Member Posts: 3
    If I were you I would take this warning very seriously. The only problem I have had with my envoy has been the value. In one year after I purchased my Envoy I wanted to trade it in on a new Pathfinder for my wife. I was shocked when the dealer pulled up the Kelly Blue Book on my Envoy and it was only valued at less than HALF of what i still owed on it. My Envoy went from $30,000 (msrp) to $13, 000 (KBB trade in) in one year. The dealer said he could give me $15, 000. That strill left me $9,000+ in the hole. I am still stuck with the thing and want a nicer vehicled, but i cant get financed anywhere that will roll that much in to another vehicle. Good Day!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    Hi gmchater2,
    I understand that you're disappointed in the drop in value of your Envoy; however, you will find that with all vehicles, if you trade in within the first two years (if you've financed longer than 36 months), you're going to be heavily upside-down on debt-to-current-value ratio. This is not exclusive to the Envoy, although the vehicle did diminish rather rapidly in value. If you want to get a realistic assessment of what your Envoy is worth as a trade-in or private sale, drop by our Real-World Trade-In Values discussion and post details about the vehicle.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

what he said....HA

-KAG
  • psobkiewiczpsobkiewicz Member Posts: 20
    The dealer was feeding you some wrong info. I traded in my 03 Envoy 4x4 SLE ($32K MSRP) for an 05 SLT 3 weeks ago. KBB gave my 2 year old Envoy a trade in value of $16500 and it had 44000 miles on it. I got $16000 from the dealer for it.
This discussion has been closed.