Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    kruebbekruebbe Member Posts: 4
    I'm purchasing a 2003 Ody for the first time. I'm reading different things about pricing and am confused. Do dealers sell at MSRP? Can you get a Honda below MSRP? I've even read where some people have bought for more than the MSRP. Can someone please explain and/or help me in this dilema.

thanks
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    ...the only way to find out is to speak with a few dealers. Ody's are going from appx $500 under to $2,000 over MSRP depending on where you live and what trim level you are looking for.

Good Luck.
  • Options
    hugozhugoz Member Posts: 82
    I just bought an '02 EX with leather and DVD-entertainment system in the DC/VA/MD metro area; paid exactly MSRP for it. I tried to get a discount, using the internet strategies suggested in a couple of posts here. I also figured that maybe with the '03 models on the way, there'd be some room to negotiate on an '02.

Wrong! I even gave Priceline.com a try by entering a bid on an '02 LX for $500 less than MSRP; I didn't get a single response.

But, the good news is that I found at least 3 or 4 dealers in the area with an '02 in stock for MSRP. So, I went to the dealer whose emails were most responsive to mine, and upon seeing the EX model with DVD (silver), I was instantly hooked. I agonized briefly whether to lease or buy, but decided to buy due to the high resale values. Also, I initially had thought I'd get an '03 LX, but am glad I decided not to wait, as well as to go for the added EX luxury/features. My family is crazy about the DVD system.

On the '03 versus '02 issue: my salesman swore that the '03 are exactly the same, and given the minimal depreciation factor, I figured, why wait?
  • Options
    woelljwoellj Member Posts: 1
    Funny you should post Mr.Hugo, I was just going to say how pleased I was with the negotiation schemes presented at Edmunds. It was enjoyable to feel in control the entire time I was buying the car. I went Aug 31st to a south Jersey honda dealer, 2 hours before closing, and I got $200 off MSRP on a red EX and my wife got a free cargo floor cover (valued at $100 according to honda.com... why Edmunds doesn't put dealer installed options into it's write-ups is a mystery to me, especially if honda publishes them itself) The two questions I have are:

1) They got me with a $99 paper work fee... am I supposed to pay this, or did they find a way to fleece me for $99?

2) Did I do good getting it under MSRP? It's funny in this topic, there's not many recent postings listing what price people paid.
  • Options
    Woellj: thanks for your reply; I like your "last day of the month," two hours before closing strategy. Yeah, based on my experience, I think you did great. Maybe I should have waited (bought mine on the 28th), but I doubt the result would have been any different for me. I got mine on a rainy Wednesday evening, with fewer customers around. Had I waited till Saturday, it would surely have been sold to someone else.

It seems your experience also highlights the regional difference -- guess there's higher demand in my area, so MSRP is the bottom line. I think the $99 processing fee you paid does sound like a rip. I only paid a $25 fee. By the way, I didn't mention in my earlier post that my salesman also let me have wheel locks and mud flaps for free. (I, too, noticed that Edmunds does not list the dealer added accessories that are on the Honda web site, which is too bad because it'd be nice to see the invoice price versus retail.)

By the way, what do you think of buying an '02 versus waiting for an '03? Was that even an issue with you?

A final note to self: in the future, go to a dealer who promises to do as much paperwork beforehand. It took me over two and half hours to get out the door -- including having to listen to sales pitches on buying an extended warranty and other dealer service deals. (No, I didn't go for the extended warranty.) The day after I bought my Ody, I got an email from another dealer promising a one-hour processing time.
  • Options
    rms41rms41 Member Posts: 80
    I guess price is a regional thing. My daughter has an order in for a 2003 LX and has paperwork that indicates she is getting it for MSRP -$500. This is a reputable dealer that I have purchased two vehicles from so I know they will stand by this. As far as differences between 2002 and 2003 go, there are a few minor things (other than colors). First, the driver's power window will have an express-up feature as well as the express-down (I have this feature on my Pilot and it's really handy when leaving a toll booth). Also, there is some new feature with the rear wiper and washer. But that's it. So they are basically the same.
  • Options
    rms41: thanks for the reply. On your daughter's '03 order, are you sure the -$500 isn't just a deduction for the $500 order deposit? Just curious.
  • Options
    croy4croy4 Member Posts: 14
    I'm looking for an 02 or 03 EX anywhere in Southern Ca. I would like to pay MSRP. So far, two dealers I have contacted are 1,000 and 1,500 above MSRP. Can anyone recommend a good dealership in Southern California? Thanks.
  • Options
    No, it's not the deposit (I know because I'm the one that actually made the deposit). When I bought my Pilot from them I met with one of the owners and asked if they could do anything for my daughter if she ordered an Odyssey. They said sure, MSRP -$500. I'm sure the fact that I got the Pilot (at MSRP) is what caused them to give her a break.
  • Options
    wardmwardm Member Posts: 23
    Hugoz. Where did you buy your ody? I've put down $500 on an 03 EX-L RES at Bill Page. Price will be (haven't tried negotiating yet) $31,059 but includes wheel locks, mud guards, storage tray and cargo mat.
  • Options
    Hi Wardm. I bought mine from College Park Honda in MD. Ask for the internet sales manager, Jonathan. He's a good guy and straight shooter who not only knows a lot about Odys but owns one himself!

The price you were quoted - does it include the destination charge?

Good luck.
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Chris, look outside Orange County!
  • Options
    Yes...It includes destination charge but doesn't include taxes, tags, title. Also, they are charging $249 for a "processing fee." Thanks for the info. I'll give Jonathan a call and see what he has to say. Would you like for me to let him know you referred me? If so, send me an e-mail with your name to wardm5653@yahoo.com.
  • Options
    Does anyone know of a good place to buy accessories for the Odyssey? I've found http://www.collegehillshonda.com/parts/extension/odyssey/99_02odyssey.htm as well as http://www.fairhondapartsforyou.com. Not sure if either of these two are the cheapest but they are considerably less than what is posted on Honda's site and what I was quoted at the dealer.
  • Options
    Go to www.handa-accessories.com (yes, that's handa not honda)
  • Options
    Sure - mention my name to Jonathan; he'll remember me.
  • Options
    ohloneohlone Member Posts: 55
    congrats to those who buy their Odyssey under MSRP or even at MSRP.

From my experience and reading these posts, to get one under MSRP, the key is finding one sitting on a lot which doesn't happen often. Trying to negotiate a dealer under MSRP before the car hits the lot; now that's a success story.

BTW: I got my EX-L RES Odyssey last June at MSRP with a deposit two weeks before it arrived and think it's one heck of a car.
  • Options
    It may be that this is a good time to get an '02, I don't know. But in my case, I started contacting dealers via the internet (actually, they contacted me), by using Edmunds and Cars.com web sites, on Tuesday last week, and by the following night, I had purchased my '02 EX-LRES (Starlight Silver) with 6 miles on the odometer. I never asked my salesman why my Ody became available, so to this day, I don't know if another customer had cancelled an order or what.

Anyhow, I recommend that anyone serious about buying an '02 (versus ordering an '03) try the same strategy -- i.e., enter your name, etc. into the "find a dealer near you" features of Edmunds or Cars.com; I think I had asked to be contacted by about 10-12 dealers, and then got positive responses from about 3 or 4 of those.
  • Options
    djohnson64djohnson64 Member Posts: 43
    The 02 went 2K below MSRP in my area last weekend.
    For 03, several are asking MSRP only, and one with free mud guards, door guards, and trunk liner (which they quote as a $500 package). There are still some who would ask MSRP +, but do shop around.
  • Options
    joeboojoeboo Member Posts: 3
    djohnson, where are you located? what dealership was offering $2000 under msrp for 2002?

thanks...
  • Options
    dorene2dorene2 Member Posts: 28
    Okay djohnson64. What part of the United States are you living in that is giving $2000 below MSRP on an Ody? That's the price I want to be at!
  • Options
    In his profile. That's such a good price I suspect he may just be "trolling" for response.
  • Options
    ohloneohlone Member Posts: 55
    "The 02 went 2K below MSRP in my area last weekend"

you mean 'a' 02 went for 2k below? even if it is one car, that's still hard to believe. Maybe it was a dealer car with a few miles on it?
  • Options
    Maybe he's talking about Canada and Canadian dollars. Can't be the US for a brand new '02. Or mayber he is just full of you know what.
  • Options
    traveler68traveler68 Member Posts: 3
    I placed an order for a 2003 Odyssey with Havasu Blue in June. I got a call from my dealer last week saying that Honda rejected the order for that color. They won't be producing the H. Blue, Midnight Blue, Black and Sage for another few months. He said they got a letter from Honda about it. I called 2 other dealers in the area and said there was no color availability problem. But of course, I would have to wait again. Urg. I had timed the purchase of this car with the birth of my second child. Has anyone else come across this color issue. I don't know who to believe. Is there a way to contact Honda. I don't see any from their websites.

Any help appreciated...
  • Options
    kkhodgekkhodge Member Posts: 9
    hello Traveler68,

The dealership is being honest with you. There is a delay in those colors and they will not be available until later this year. I am told they will be taking orders in October.

It is too bad your dealership did not research it earlier, the ones I spoke with knew that over a month ago.

Good luck!
  • Options
    kkhodgekkhodge Member Posts: 9
    Hello All,

I posted several weeks ago that I was able to negotiate what I consider a great deal on a 2003 Odyssey. A few questioned whether the dealer would follow through. Well, it arrived on the truck today and I picked it up this evening with a full tank of gas.

A summary of the deal

2003 EX-L RES Redrock Pearl with the following options:

Cargo Tray
    Cargo Cover
    Bug Shield
    Splash Guards
    Cross Bars
    Wheel Locks

100k/7yr/$0 deductible Honda warranty

Total Price (excluding tax and license):

$30,000

Final cost after tax and license:

$31,657

I relay this information in hopes that it helps you as you negotiate your own deals. I learned much about the Odyssey from folks on this board and appreciate the information shared.

Best wishes to you in your buying experience.
  • Options
    Wow! I think that price takes the prize. Where are you located? What's the dealership and salesman's name? The best I've been able to come up with in the Washington, D.C. metro area, thanks to Hugoz's posts, is MSRP and there are a lot of dealerships to choose from.
  • Options
    I've been on a trip this last week and couldn't get access to the Internet and therefore didn't know that some of you wanted the specifics.
    Here it is: The dealer that advertised for 1.992 USD off MSRP on the 2002 Odyssey LX was Showcase Honda in Phoenix. The ad was in the Arizona Republic page AC7, September 01 issue.
    And Mr. Ray Baldwin (raybear), I'm a consumer shopping for a good deal on the minivan, and I thought that I should share my knowledge of the ad with other members in this forum so we can all save a bit of our hard-earned money. I'm not selling or affiliated with any dealership and hence didn't have any reason to "troll" this forum looking for business. Your message #2578 was rather hasty, to put it mildly.
  • Options
    Let me add to the above message that 6 cars were "available" at that price.
  • Options
    saini_bhaisaini_bhai Member Posts: 2
    Traveler68, I had booked a Havasu Blue 2002 back in March and the dealer kept trying for several months. Finally, when I got frustrated I asked him to get me a Silver. So now, I am getting a 2003 Silver within a week and Havasu Blue production is still questionable. I would advice you to consider another color that you like unless you want to wait for a very long time.
    I regret I didn't ask for the Silver van back in March because I would have got it within 2 months.
  • Options
    rgobelrgobel Member Posts: 7
    I think the color availability is also totally dependent on your dealership. I am after a Sagebrush Pearl and poked around four different dealers about it back when the color availability was but a rumor for the Odyssey. While I have heard of some getting an earlier production date than mine, it appears that my dealer has confirmation from Honda that we will have one by early December. A previous dealer that I had talked to stated that they are limited to 1% of their allocation order on the new colors so as he put it, if they order 20 Odysseys, only 2 can be in the "new" colors. So I think that if the dealership you contact has already had a few orders for the new colors, their availability for the next "new color" will be pushed out into 2003. The "letter" stating delayed availability is probably the Honda Corp. mandate of limiting their allocation "moves" to 1% on the new colors. Don't expect a straight answer on this as the dealer is probably reluctant to confirm that as it means you will probably go to another one who many have some room left on their "threshold".

I have seen a presold Havasu Blue w/Nav and have to say that the color is waaaayyyy better in person. It had foglights installed which really spruced up the front end. The wife and I still feel that SBP is the best for us though ;o).
  • Options
    Sorry to have doubted you. We get a bit gun-shy around here from time to time.
  • Options
    It's OK.
    I probably would not have believed it myself had I not seen the ad.
  • Options
    alindaalinda Member Posts: 67
    I can agree with what the other people have been telling you about the Havasu Blue. Lately, all that's coming in from Honda, although we ordered all sorts of colors, is red and silver. I think we're getting beige and white by the end of the month, but right now at the start of the new model year seems to be a tight time for colors. I've got a customer waiting for Havasa Blue EXRES, and she's in the same position as you. It makes me feel bad.
  • Options
    My California dealers are telling me November. Same for you, alinda?
  • Options
    sxdsxd Member Posts: 2
    Ordered a 03 Odyssey on 8/27 and got it on 9/4 in Phoenix area.

Silver 2003 EX with following add-ons:

Dash mat
    Cargo Tray
    Tinted window (driver and passenger side)
    Sun shade
    Wheel Locks
    Door and wheel well guide

Sales Price (excluding tax, license, registration, doc):

$27,060 ($300 under MSRP)

Good luck and wish those who are still shopping a better deal.
  • Options
    alindaalinda Member Posts: 67
    That's the latest word. I'll believe it when I see it. I think we've only had about 5 HavBlu on the lot ever, btw.

I've gotten smarter in the last couple of months, though. I gotta touch a car before I comment on its whereabouts. And I gotta have the keys in my hand.
  • Options
    joeboojoeboo Member Posts: 3
    raybear,
    what's the word on availability on a 2003 sagebrush in southern calif?

also, have you had any luck w/ under msrp for 2002's in so cal? or dealers won't budge on msrp? i saw the la times ad last week that long beach honda was selling under msrp for 2002 oddy's? true or a way to get people to their dealerships?

thanks,

joe
  • Options
    baby927baby927 Member Posts: 7
    I ordered a 2002 Havasu BLUE BACK IN oCT 2001, knowing well that they wouldn't start until spring. I live in upstate NY and didn't want it until May or June when the snow is gone. In May, the local dealer told me he couldn't get the Blue, pick another color. I picked Silver. I was still quite peeved that I couldn't get the Havasu Blue, because I had been researching the Ody for 2 years and have been a faithful Honda owner for 12 (1990 Prelude, 140,000, still runs like a top, regular maintenance-no problems (knock knock)).
    I called at least 10 other dealers within a 200 mile radius (see, I told you I wanted one), and got the same stories as most of you have..."can't get a blue one...never saw a blue one...ordered 2 but none came in.,,,etc"
    Here on Edmunds, I saw a post from a guy in CA who complained about dealers out there charging $500-$1000 over MSRP. He found a guy in Cleveland who sold for MSRP and shipped it out there!
    I called the guy, told him my dilemma about Hav Blue and having to wait 3-6 months for any Honda Van, and he told me he had an LX Hav Blu on the lot. I thought he was kidding. He also said he had a silver one too.
    I asked him to hold the Blue (gave deposit) and drove 6 hours one way. Sure enough he had it! I drove it back to upstate NY. He said he sells lots of them and gets lots of them.
    I'm not a salesman and get no kickback, so I won't leave info unless someone requests it.
    The Havasu Blue is awesome......glad I didn't settle for Silver!!!
  • Options
    maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    Well, I went home this afternoon, and my mother was in a really bad mood. So I asked her if she wanted to go look at Odysseys today, and she agreed. We went to Dick Brooks Honda in Greer, South Carolina. Mama was orginally looking for Evergeen Pearl, but we hadn't seen one. As soon as we got on the lot, we saw a 2003 Odyssey EX with Leather and DVD. She fell in love with that van! It's Sandstone with Beige Leather. Sounds like a good story, doesn't it. WRONG!

I literally had to haggle with the dealer. We did pay MSRP for it, but they wanted to add all kinds of accessories to the car, that would knock the price up $713.99! I told the little car salesmen on the lot that if he didn't throw those options in for free, I'd go to a dealer in Easley who was offering me an Odyssey EX with Cloth for $27,360 plus he was throwing in mudguards, wheel locks, and all-season floormats for free. I would pay nothing over MSRP. He immediately agreed to throw in the accessories if his manager agreed. He went and got his manager for the deal, and we talked. He gave my mom this line about "Not discounting the Odyssey." I then told the manager the same thing I told the salesmen. He agreed to throw in the accessories in which I asked, then he throw in an "Odyssey" tag for the front end. Yes we did pay MSRP, but I did save her at least $713.99 in useless options, but they are on that van, and we DID NOT and WOULD NOT pay extra for them.

The funny thing about this whole situation is the fact that I lied about the deal in Easley. The day I went to the Honda dealer in Easley, they were closed (Sunday) but both of those guys believed me! I argued with the salesmen and manager like I was an adult, but I am only 16. My mom just sat back and watched me, amazed at how much MORE I knew about the Odyssey than they did about the darn van. I think we did well, especially considering my age, and how much arguing I did today. I think we won the battle.

The Paint protectant: $390 (I saw him put it on the vehicle.)

Mudguards: 189!! I nearly slapped the salesmen when he said that!

Wheel Locks: 95

Personalized Tag: 39.99

I saved my mom $713.99! Not bad for a 16 year old. SHE is in such a GOOD mood! Hopefully she'll reward me with an Accord EX with Leather in Noble Green with Ivory leather for graduation next year! I think so!
  • Options
    maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    For the wonder feedback on prices I have seen lately. I really wouldn't have been able to deal so well if not for reading these posts.
  • Options
    bjk2001bjk2001 Member Posts: 358
    LOL! Good job!
  • Options
    Sorry about the delay. I've worked a few deals with Long Beach, no complaints from the customers but that's via the Internet and Fleet Departments, not retail.

I'd say it's worth checking. Last year at this time I had a few discounts on leftovers also.
  • Options
    mrgreen1mrgreen1 Member Posts: 2
    We just purchased a silver 2003 EX for $500 under MSRP. We also bought the 7 year 100,000 mile Honda Care Warranty for $529. We live in Eastern North Carolina and the dealership gets a shipment of Odyssey's in at least every two weeks. They had 2 leather, 2 leather DVD, and 2 EX's on the lot the day we bought ours. They were very low key about the sale which makes me think I should have asked for more. The truth is after spending so much money for transmissions and just about everything else that could break on our Plymouth Voyager, I would have spent more for the Odyssey without complaint.
  • Options
    I would like to purchase the extended warranty from this dealership.
    Can you post the contact, or e-mail me at asdfml2000@yahoo.com?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    jimmy38jimmy38 Member Posts: 1
    I just pick up my brand new 2003 Honda Odyssey EXL (Leather) WHITE, Cross Bars, Mud.
    for
    Sales Price $27739.79
    Doc Fee 349.00
    7% Tax 1685.33
    Title Fee 28.00
    Lemon Law 3.00
    -----------------------------------------------
    $30,300.00 Drive out Price
    Did I get a good price?
    Jimmy Liu
  • Options
    davuser03davuser03 Member Posts: 2
    I would like to consider purchasing a vehicle from this dealership. Would you please posting the contact, or e-mail me at davsm55@hotmail.com?
    Thank You.
  • Options
    davuser03davuser03 Member Posts: 2
    Jimmy, Are you asking if $1,120.00 off of MSRP is a good deal? You bet your bottom dollar it is! Please let me/us know the name of the dealer you purchased this Odyssey from or email me directly at davsm55@hotmail.com.

Thanks.
  • Options
    mac_suibhnemac_suibhne Member Posts: 5
    I got above on Labor Day & am worried if I got a raw deal. Problem is that I (first-time) leased it & am clueless as to how to tell. I'm sure the (Texas) dealer didn't do me any favors since he recorded (inflated) the sale price to $33,619 & oh sure, gave me $3,500 too much (over book) for my trade. I guess the fact he booked it (in Sept) as August sale tells you why all the numerical gymnastics - boost August sales, why don't I? Of course I was never told what money factor was used. I did get them to tell me (verbally only) what price I actually paid which was $30,119 with true figure of $12,500 for my 00 Accord SE trade but these figures are not the ones recorded anywhere. Anyway I tried to plug in as close as I could in to the Honda.com lease calculator ($1,500 down, $2,980 net balance owed on trade) & closest I come is $455/month whereas I "negotiated" with them to $485/month. I even plugged in the tax amount, though not the title/license costs. However, part of reason I got 02 was that I was sure there would be a little more negotiating from them as 03 were on the way. I was assured that rates from Honda Lease were better than what they would be offering for 03s in a few weeks. I have best credit you can have but it still seems anyone can get an 03 for less/month than I got my 02. I did put down first month which is not really first month as I'm due another in 30 days from purchase date & was waived security deposit (big deal). Did I get screwed?

Then there's this leasecompare.com - what's up with them? I plugged in same figures & I come out with $375/month?

Help, anyone?