Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti I30/I35 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• paizano1paizano1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I am having the same problems. I read you stated something about a federal warranty before 80K. Is there a place i can read or find out about this warranty. I have 74K right now. Would like to have the info before dearler charges for repair.
    Thanks
  • lefoy3lefoy3 Member Posts: 1
    Can someone give me some information on the federal warranty. I also have a check engine light on a 2000 infinity i30t and I would like to know about the exhaust replacement

lefoy3
  • ejohanssejohanss Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 1999 I30 limited with 46k miles, and I have this EXACT problem.

Did you ever get a solution?
  • ejohanssejohanss Member Posts: 2
    I have owned my 1999 Infiniti I30 for three years now and it has been an exceptional car! But it has always had a minor eccentricity that I would love to fix. Any suggestions? --
    This seems to happen mostly at lower speeds - let's say between 25 and 50mph. When I am cruising along at a steady speed and let off on the gas, there is an abrupt deceleration similar to what you would experience in a standard transmission car. This is an automatic, of course, and typically an automatic kind of "coasts" under these circumstances. I do not have it in the sport mode, as a matter of fact, it seems to do this less in the sport mode!
    Anyway, this is a minor thing, but I would sure love to cure this problem. I have driven several other I30's and Maxima's with this same engine and none of them do this, so I know there must be an adjustment or part replacement that would make this wonderful car 100% instead of 99%!
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions...
  • tseektseek Member Posts: 2
    I have the same recurring problem, and even worse the pipe off the muffler has rotted out. Can't believe this at only 62,000 miles! Thanks for note on the federal warranty. If I have to reference the dealer who fixed your issue, will you let me know who that dealer was?

Thanks
  • pro5mohpro5moh Member Posts: 29
    Hi

I am planning in buying a I30 (2000-2001).

Have a few Questions..
    (1). Does I30 require Premium Gas?
    (2). Reliability from JD Powers Looks Next to Great -- Is that True?
    (3). Also equivalently equiiped Maxima's are costing more than I30 -- Any reason as to why? (I thought Both the Maxima and I30 Have the same basic structure-- Is this true?)
    (4). Whats the avg gas mileage for a I30?

Thanks for your help1
  • snuggsnugg Member Posts: 4
    It's in your warranty and maintenance book from the infiniti dealer.
  • snuggsnugg Member Posts: 4
    My check engine light comes on and gives me a P0420 reading from a OBDII scanner. I've found out It's either the catalytic converter or the rear O2 sensor. The only way i know how to check the o2 sensor is to check the voltage going through the sensor. i don't believe you can check the voltage at the sensor location. Does anybody have any information on this. I really want to avoid taking it to the dealer.(One can never trust those guys).
  • breichbreich Member Posts: 2
    Sure, it was Park Ave Infiniti in Englewood NJ.
  • pvellozopvellozo Member Posts: 19
    i have a 2000 I 30 which has been fairly trouble free till now.
    recently the drivers power seat stopped moving backward and forward. the up and down controls still work.
    i found on the internet that there is a technical service bulletin for this problem, that the power seat motor needs to be replaced. this is estimated to cost $700 +tax.
    as the vehicle is out of warranty, i will have to pay.
    my question is this: as this is a problem that they apparently know about that occurs in only 2 model years o f this vehicle, what are my chances of getting infiniti to pay for this repair.
    infinitisemal??
  • jrossmillerjrossmiller Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 I-30 at the dealer today with the exact same problem. I bought it certified used from authorized dealer and although I am outside the original 60K warranty; the cert used warranty added 12 months and 12K miles to the original warranty. They still say its not covered!

I ended the day by calling Infiniti consumer affairs. They will call the dealer tomorrow.

Where did you find the TSB?

Good luck
  • bobbee53bobbee53 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 I30T that is now over the 80,000Km waranty period. I recently experienced a problem where the "Service Engine Soon" light came on. The dealer determined that it needed new "coils" for each cylinder and a new "air flow meter" (or something like that). The repair cost was over $2000.00, but fortunately, the dealer discovered that Nissan had extended the waranty on this work, as it was a known defect of the I30. The repairs were done at no charge.

Does anyone know how to determine if there are any other warranty "exceptions" that I should be aware of?
  • pvellozopvellozo Member Posts: 19
    the details of the tsb are as follows: maybe you can google it.

classification:
    EL02-023

reference:
    ITB00-067a

2001-2001 I30 and 2002 I35; drivers seat will not move forward or backward

Date June 4, 2002

Applied vehicles:
    2000-2001 I30 (CA##)
    2002 I35 (CA33)

at this point i have spoken to the dealer and consumer affairs, both say they will not help.

i am interested to find out if this is a repair that can be done at a non-dealer shop, to minimize the cost , which the dealer quoted me as being over $700, not includung tax. any suggestions will be appreciated.

good luck.
  • audaveaudave Member Posts: 1
    I am not sure if you have already made your final decision on getting your I30 or not, but I have an answer to all of your questions.
    1. the I30 does not require premium, however, the I35 does.
    2. Reliability is great. It is a bulletproof car.
    3. luxury cars tend to have a faster depretiation rate than "normal" cars, just because that is how it is. The Maxima and I30 share the same chasis and basic parts with eachother up until the bodystyle change in 2000. The engine parts are all still the same, with very minor differences.
    4. Avg gas mileage, depending on how you drive is somewhere around 23/30 city/hwy. It could be better or worse, depending on how you drive.
  • websparcwebsparc Member Posts: 2
    I recently got '01 I30, I'm curious if anyone have any OBD2 scannint tool for there I30. I read somewhere it has ISO based chip connector. ANy recommendations. I just want to have it for my personal use.
    Thanks.
  • weathervaneweathervane Member Posts: 1
    Must be a plague of these problems going around as our I30 driver's side seat front/back motion failed Tuesday night. If anyone hear's of a way to resolve this problem less expensively, I'd sure appreciate a post.

W.
  • jcw001jcw001 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 i30t and my mechanic determined that i needed new coils as well. I went to the dealer and they wanted about $1000 for the job and told me that because my warranty ended about 2 years ago, I had to pay. Is there a number or contact that I can call to find this extended warranty by Nissan because my dealer didn't seem to know anything about it.
  • nodomesticsnodomestics Member Posts: 1
    Same problem. Up Down and Back tilting work. Forward and back won't work. They did twice for about a 1/4 inch each time in the last month.

I was told $450 to fix it. But who knows maybe it will end up being $700.

Not thrilled with this as I know from records the previous did it once too.
  • ginhginh Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my 2001 I30 and Infiniti paid all but $163. They called it a good-will repair. I didn't think that I should pay any, since this is a documented Infiniti problem...but what do I know?
  • camelcamel Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Infiniti I30t and had to have coils replaced this past summer. I now have 60,000 miles. Have you got more information on the warrenty extension? I'd like to see if they'd cover the work I had done.
  • skc615skc615 Member Posts: 1
    I bought an I30T Wednesday before last. The seller (out of state) failed to tell me
    the abs light was on and "just needs to be reset at the dealer" The brakes work fine and won't lock up so I guess he was telling the truth.

The sunroof does not open, I have ordered a switch to see if that is it. (i'm hoping it's not the motor)

The engine light came on 2 days after I bought it, code 430, bank 2 catalytic converter. Muffler shop said 600-900 bucks.

Finally, the climate control cools until 84, then when you turn it on 85 your roasting!

I love the car, it looks sweat, but my 95 maxima I've owned for 3 yrs was never
    this much of a pain. If anyone can help me I'd be thankful. I spent almost all my
    savings thinking I was buying a nice car and now I'm stuck until I can sell my 95'.

Thanks, Shawn
  • robo11740robo11740 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a used 1999 I30 w/over 140,000 miles. I was informed, a couple mornings ago, that I had no brake lights. I checked the bulbs and fuses and all were ok. All other lights seem to be working fine except the light in the back window, which is also out now. Looked into the cost of a brake lamp switch, less than $10. Is there anything else I should check or look at before replacing this switch? Is this a common problem? How do you check/replace the light in the back window? Any other suggestions?
  • williamgwilliamg Member Posts: 1
    Did you go to an infiniti dealership? It seems as though my car is having the same problem, but the dealer has not heard of this extended warranty.
  • druchedruche Member Posts: 1
    I purchase a used 2000 I30 with 31000 miles on it.
    All runs well except for 2 things.
    1. I get a little road noise rumble which I attribute to the Goodyear Eagles which was on the car at time of purchase.
    2. I get ~ 19 to 20 mpg. I would think I should get low 20 mpg at least.
    I do 75% highway
    Just wondering what other people are getting on their I30
  • wpannwpann Member Posts: 1
    ">I am past 85k, when engine is cold, starts but dies when I engage the transmission until it warms up a bit. Svc engine soon light has been on for quite awhile. I have scheduled appt w/dealer for next week, but want some feedback about similar problems so I won't get taken to the mat w/$2k bill! What is this about Nissan extending warranty on this problem? Thanks...a lot.
  • lgdrololgdrolo Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem, I have a 00 Infiniti I30 with 85,000 miles on it. As i accelerate i here a annoying tinking noise. Sort of like a bb in a tin can shaking back or forth or that same noise you might hear when you use cheap gas. I have no idea what it is. For some reason when i take to mechanics they never hear get to hear the noise of if they do they tell me they dont know what it is and that why im here. One of them recommended i come this site and talk about it. I love the car so much but that noise makes want to sell i soooo bad. Someone help me please.
  • brown33brown33 Member Posts: 11
    I just picked up my 2000 I30 (64k) from the Infiniti dealer today. Last week I lost power driving and the service engine light came on. The dealer said my spark plug engine coil went bad. He quoted me about $500 to change one and $1000 for all six. I went ahead and had all six changed. I asked about any extended warranty for this problem and the dealer said there were none.

bobbee53 - do you have any more info on that extended warranty...what's the dealership name?

Thanks!
  • brown33brown33 Member Posts: 11
    I have the same problem in my 00 I30 (64k). I asked the dealer about it and he asked what type of gas I was using. I confessed to using non-premium since gas prices went sky high. He told me to switch back to the premium and that should solve it. I'll switch back and see what happens. The noise is loudest when climbing hills.
  • tomc6tomc6 Member Posts: 3
    My 2000 I30 has a problem with the "service engine soon" lilight asell. After driving over 100 miles on a highway stretch,the light comes on. This has happened on the last couple of long road trips that I've taken. I read on line that if you disconnect the battery for 24 hrs. minimum, this resets the computer, and the light will go out. I tried it and it worked both times. The light hasn't come back on but probably will during the next long road trip. I've got apapproximately 40,000 miles on the car. So, it's probably a sensor. Do you know if this is covered under the wawarrantee Other than that problem, we have loved the car and would like to hold on to it another few years.

Good luck. Try the method of disconnecting the battery. It might save you a whole lot of money.
  • amistryamistry Member Posts: 4
    I have 119000 miles on my Infiniti I30. The problem I have is the car engine completely dies :sick: at lower speed or when I stop in traffic or light. When it dies, I get Check Engine light, Oil Lamp light, Battery light and Break light illuminates on dashboard. If I try to restart right away, the engine start and dies immediately. Usually I have to wait for around 30 seconds or so before I restart. This problem appears mostly in cold weather. Entire spring/summer was uneventful. Another problem I have noticed lately is while driving locally if I am slowing down behind a car and then slowly try to pick up again, it won't accelerate-the engine stays at around 300-400 rpm :confuse: and when I press the gas paddle little harder it revs to around 2500 rpm and starts fine-there is a jerk. The dealer is not able to find the problem, but I have left it with him to troubleshoot anyway.
    Any idea why this could be happening? Any similar experience in either Maximas or Infiniti and what you had to do to fix it?
  • annamreddiannamreddi Member Posts: 5
    Hi Amistry,

I am facing the same problem. I have 106000 on my I30. I came here to search the answer for this problem so far no solution? let me know if you find something.

Srini.
  • bheidelbheidel Member Posts: 2
    I have a Infiniti I30t with 62000 miles. When the car reaches operating temperture it stalls at light. When the car has been running for a while and is in park the car will die after one minute of idling. It seems to have a normal idle speed of 750rpm. Does any one have an idea of whats up?? Thank you.
  • edmondi30edmondi30 Member Posts: 1
    My leather seats on my 98 I30 are cracked. Also, my steering wheel is worn. Any ideas for seat/steering wheel covers? I would love to have a wood/leather steering wheel as in the 99 Limited. I am having trouble finding seat covers that work with the side airbags.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
  • my67bossmy67boss Member Posts: 1
    99 I30 - need to know locations of front air bag sensors, can someone help?

Thanks in advance,
    Ann Secor
  • lyn1lyn1 Member Posts: 1
    Srini,

I have 76000 on my I30 with same problem as you and Amistry--I also am looking for a solution. went to nissan dealer for diagnosis--nothing found---but problem persists--did you find any answers
  • lawmanlawman Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 I30 and I get 14-15 mpg around town, and I do not have a heavy foot at all. It's my only real complaint with this car. That and I'd like a telescoping steering wheel or a seat that goes back farther. I'm 6'2".

I asked the service people to check on the lousy mileage and they said all was functioning well. I was really po'd when gas was $3.40.
  • fishluva169fishluva169 Member Posts: 1
    I've had the same problem in the summer time. Always shuts off after a while of driving and you stop. all lights show up. i took it to local mechanics, they couldn't find anything wrong. finally took it to dealer, it was the mas air flow sensor. never had the same problem after it was fixed. i fix it with the dealer because they had to mess around with the computer. sounded complicated to send to any local mechanics. ran me about $750. :mad:
  • annamreddiannamreddi Member Posts: 5
    Hi lyn1,

I didn't find the answer. But I have few observations,
    It is stopping when I am driving at low speeds especially in traffic or when I was stopping for a stop sign. I feel transmission is cuasing this problem. All the times it got stopped when I observed jerks in acceleration. One more interesting observation is it is happening when there is sudden drop in temperature. Is sudden drop in weather temperature causing sluggish transmission, there by Engine stoppage? I am not sure. If your observation is also the same may be we can get some conclusion.

Good day

Srini.
  • timporch63timporch63 Member Posts: 1
    Is there any way for the owner to reset the SES light on the Infiniti I30? I tried disconnecting the battery (as on a Chev) and that didn't work. Any suggestions?
  • msanch_56msanch_56 Member Posts: 3
    I have an '02 Infiniti i30 too and saw the "service engine soon" on my dash board. I just ignored it at first, then it disappeared and reappeared. I went to my mechanic and had him checked it. I observed him using an OBDII (On-Board Diagnostic) scanner and he found out that the MIL (malfunction indicator light shown as "service engine soon") was caused by a O2 sensor. He replaced it and it cost me around $200.00+. Cars manufactured from 1994 and later are equipped with a connector that can be diagnosed using the OBD (a standard for automotive industry application).
    Then my other car, 01 Pathfinder, is also showing a "service engine soon". I bought an OBDII Scanner (model #9135) in Ebay for $80.00 (retail cost is $150). I plugged it and the scanner came up with an "Intake Valve Timing Position Sensor" malfunction. The Int Vlv Tmg Position Sensor cost around $80.00 from the dealer. If I have the mechanic replace this, it would cost me another $200.00+. With the OBDII scanner and a service maintenance manual, I am able to find the sensor and replace it. I learned something new!
    If you don't replace the part that causes the MIL, it continues to come up everytime you start the engine even if you disconnect the battery a 100x. So, if you are challeged mechanically, invest in some automotive gadgets to help you troubleshoot or maintain your car since cars are indispensable part of our life unless you'd like to take the bus (specially this time the cost of gas is sky high!).
    Good luck.
    See message #91.
    I have tried to repair or service my own cars but if it's beyond my ability or due to time-constraint, I would go to an independent mechanic. Dealership service cost twice or more than the independent mechanic. I have a trusted auto mechanic that I established a relationship with. And you should start looking for one too.
    My personal advise!
  • kjdkjd Member Posts: 1
    I'm sorry, but what do you mean by a federal warranty? Is that only in certain states? I own a 2000 Infiniti I30 and have problems with that too, but I don't understand the "federal warranty" and was hoping you could clarify, before I starting sinking some serious $$$ into mine. Thanks!
  • dhughes007dhughes007 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '97 I30 with 130,000 + miles on it. I love my car, but I have a front suspension problem, I think. Every time I go over any bumps in the road my car sounds like the front tires are about to fall of. It is a knocking sound, yet I have replaced the struts just recently. I took it to a mechanic thinking it was the shocks, but he recommended I replace the struts. This did not help at all. Any ideas?
  • teutonicdriverteutonicdriver Member Posts: 4
    I am also 6'2. This 2000 I30 is my wife's car bought used at 39K. The seat is very uncomfortable for me. As to the steering wheel tilt on the Infiniti, I had a '90 Maxima (my personal car) and drove it to 230k. The steering wheel on the '90 Maxima tilted up comfortably one more notch higher than what is available on the I30 and the seat on the '90 Maxima was much more comfortable; there was a lot less road noise too on the '90 Maxima, although still wind noise. I have had a lot of brake issues on the Infiniti, and now possibly tranny issues too( now at 60k miles); make your next car a BMW, a way better car than the Infiniti in my opinion and you can hear your passenger talking and the high-end stereo to boot; the Infiniti I30 is a major disappointment to this long-time Nissan product buyer. Your mileage issue seems a bit odd and I have not had the same experience.
  • teutonicdriverteutonicdriver Member Posts: 4
    There is absolutely no way the fit and finish on an Infiniti is better than a beemer. How may Infiniti owners are still suffering with the simple missing seat belt clasp retainer button years after this problem surfaced? The wind noise is horrendous on the Infiniti. The Infiniti Murano clone & Murano have the same power steering groan as my '90 Maxima. Check out the beemers; you Infiniti owners do not know what you are missing. Infiniti customer service is c__ap; one excuse after another and certainly not catering to clientle whose time is more valuable than sitting in the waiting area of the "service" department. Nissan is the new Ford. Signed, former Nissan customer.
  • smpathy01sesmpathy01se Member Posts: 9
    You were ripped off. The cost for 6 coils should have been around $100-$110 each and installation takes about 15min, or probably an hour by the rate book. I would find another dealer or take it to a Nissan dealer next time because the engine is the same one used in the Max. I replaced all of my coils recently myself, paid about $80 per coil and it took me all of 30 minutes to do it. :shades:
  • klynn30klynn30 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I am new to the site, however I am interested in getting the federal warranty info as well. I have 2000 i30 also and keep having the same service engine soon light returning after i get it turned off
  • klynn30klynn30 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2000 i30, i've been having issues with the SES light keeps coming back on after so many miles, also when i come to a stop at a light or something engine or something knocks and draws back...another issue is a clunking noise when i hit bumps or uneven ground and it's coming from the front end....i saw a couple discussions regarding the federal warranty, any ideas or info is appreciated i like the car but these constant issues are driving me to trade it in
  • i30driveri30driver Member Posts: 1
    What did you do about the stuck seats. My 2000's seats are not moving anymore, they(both seats) just decided to stop moving. Any advice is appreciated.