Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti G35 Sedan 2006 and earlier

Comments

• aftyafty Posts: 499
    General Motors now ranks among the top 3 most reliable car makers, after Toyota and Honda. Cadillac's own reliablity is excellent as well.

I would like to see proof of this. You are confusing initial quality with reliability, which are two very different things.
    Now if we're talking about reliability, maybe we should check the J.D. Power study on that. Hey look, Infiniti is in 2nd place behind Lexus! And Cadillac is way back there at 8th!

http://carpoint.msn.com/advice/standardart.aspx?contentid=4019432&src=404
  • cybersaxcybersax Posts: 18
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/05/31/national/main510681.shtml

"The quality of new cars and trucks showed the most improvement in five years and General Motors Corp. crept into the top five major automakers in the annual J.D. Power and Associates initial quality study."

"Toyota was followed by American Honda Motor Co. (113 problems), BMW of North America (116 problems), Porsche Cars North America Inc. (122 problems) and GM (130 problems)."

"Toyota and GM showed the biggest gains in quality over the past five years, with improvements of 31 percent and 30 percent respectively."

"An 11 percent improvement over last year's performance allowed GM to vault past Nissan Motors Corp., which saw its quality decline by 5 percent."

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/classifieds/automotive/3367179.htm

"NISSAN SURPRISED BY HIGHER PROBLEMS

Nissan scored 152 problems, up from 145 last year, while Volkswagen had 152 problems, down from 159.

"The results were surprising and disappointing for us," said Emil Hassan, Nissan's senior vice president of North American manufacturing, quality, purchasing and logistics."

Smack! Smack! Smack! Smack!

afty: In case you didn't notice, those are rankings for 1997 cars. A lot has changed since then, namely: Nissan has gone from bad, to worst!
  • robmarchrobmarch Posts: 482
    I think there's a huge difference here. I would much rather have a car with several small initial build quality problems that are quickly fixed under warranty and have a car that lasts >200k miles without major drivetrain or electrical problems, than have a perfect initial car with major problems once you're out of warranty.

In my opinion, initial quality problems that are quickly addressed by the dealer are much more forgivable than drivetrain or electrical components that are designed to outlast the warranty period and then die.
    That doesn't change the fact that the survey you quote measures only initial quality, not reliability. Maybe you should check out this article, since you seem unable to distinguish between the two concepts:

http://www4.fosters.com/autos/articles/auto_0531b.asp

"'IQS is geared more to auto manufacturers than the consumer,' said David Champion, director of automobile testing at Consumer Reports, referring to the initial quality survey.

"'They get the initial quality right, but I don’t think the cars are robust enough to last over time,' he added. '"The consumer is looking at 1, 2 or 3 years of ownership.'

"David Healy, an analyst at Burnham Securities, said 'some cars do well on the 90-day survey and fall apart after 3 years.'

"'From my point of view,' he added, 'how it lasts over 7 years is more useful.'"

J.D. Power does a separate Vehicle Dependability Study, the 2001 edition of which is included in the link I posted. Obviously it's going to look at older cars; how do you measure reliability for 2002 cars, since practically no one has reliability problems with a brand new car?

• Robmarch,

I agree completely. Infiniti may not be at the top for initial quality, but it finished 2nd for long-term durability. Part of this may be consumer perception. When I buy a Ford, I don't expect it to be perfect, because it's a Ford. On the other hand, while I haven't purchased an Infiniti, when I do (I'm waiting for a 6-speed coupe), I'll go over it with a magnifying glass.
  • riezriez Posts: 2,361
    Speaking from owning two Infiniti and not having any problems in 79,000 miles of driving, my local Infiniti dealer is the best dealer I've ever dealt with. Fantastic Service Manager.

Both cars were bulletproof for reliability. And they had great warranties (which I didn't ever use) and ever better dealer loaner car policies (which I did use for routine service).

Only thing Infiniti should do is add "free" scheduled maintenance. (Yeah, I know, there ain't no such thing as a free lunch. But at least it seems free since you pay for it up front in the purchase price). That would help maintain parity with BMW and MB. And if Lexus & Acura don't, then helps them compete with Lexus & Acura.
  • Infiniti's definitely are not tops in initial quality. Having owned two infiniti I think I can vouch for it.

Car Number 1: 1995 Infiniti G20. Great car had some minor problems in my first few months of ownership viz. Delivered with misaligned wheel took dealer three attempts to get it right. Now after 7 years and 96000 miles the car still runs like new. I have not done any unscheduled work on the car. Tires (Twice), Front Brake pads (Twice), Rear break pads (Once) do not count.

Car Number 2: 2000 Infiniti I30. This was a first model year and had its own problems like TCM module, incorrectly aimed headlights...but after two years and 26000 miles I am happy with it. Not as nimble as G20 but a great highway cruiser.

And ofcourse the service is very good and I believe is more consistent from a dealer to dealer. My G20 was/is serviced by Motorcars Infiniti (Cleveland), Pepe Infiniti (White Plains NY), Pinnacle Infiniti (Scottsdale AZ), Midway Infiniti (Phoenix AZ) and Bennett (Allentown PA) and my experience with all of them was excellent.

Now if I can only get free schedule maintainence...Umm

And if you believe in consumer reports (I personally dont) Infinitis have always ranked on top.
  • sysadbsysadb Posts: 83
    To imply that Infiniti initial quality is poor because Nissan's is shows just how far one can leap in "interpreting" statistics. Just because Nissan owns Infiniti does not necessarily mean that Infiniti IQ correlates to the rest of Nissan. For example, Infiniti cars might actually be propping up the rest of Nissan vehicles, keeping the rating from being even worse than described. More Nissan cars and trucks are being manufactured here in the US every year, as opposed to Infinitis, which I believe are mostly, if not entirely, manufactured in Japanese plants. You can decide for yourself if that makes any difference in quality control.

Infinitis have historically been in the top three makes on the average in both JD Power Initial Quality (IQ), and Long Term dependability surveys. Unless JD Powers has a separate survey by brand (and they usually do) that only addresses Infiniti, there is no evidence that Infiniti IQ is anything other than what it has always been - excellent.

DB
  • jvalentyjvalenty Posts: 41
    Hey guys, The San Diego group is planning a joint meet with some Orange Cnty/LA Owners on July 27 at Le Peep in Encinitas. That's about half way btw SD and OC. Details to follow.

If you want to be on the invite list and want followup details, email me at jvalenty@yahoo.com

Send your name, email addr, color/options, etc

We plan to caravan from the south and from the north as we head toward Encinitas (about 15 miles south of Oceanside).
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    ...but I'll add that the car that killed Nissan in the most recent JD Power IQS was the Altima, which had more than a reasonable number of problems at the start, not the least of which was the abysmal quality of the interior. A lot of complaints revolved around the noises and general looseness that was evident in the Ghosn-era choices they made for this car.

But how this translates to the Infiniti brand and the G in particular loses me completely. Anybody who SERIOUSLY believes any GM car is going to be a better long-term proposition than this one should immediately put their money on the table and buy the Cadillac. Not me...
  • wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Posts: 363
    "Yep, HP doesn't mean much on a road track, torque to weight ratio (T2W), however, does. And the G35 just blows the CTS out of the water when it comes to torque and weight (G35=260/3336lbs, CTS=218/3568lbs, data from Cadillac comparison site)."

Okay fair enough.

"You are correct in that running all of that torque through a torque converter will pose some problems, but given the G35's better T2W ratio, it will probably be a toss-up (assuming that the CTS I was talking about was a manual). Guess that just leaves the much superior handling of the G35 to leave the CTS behind. Or its far superior braking... Then again, you may want to check your assumptions."

Why do you assume that the G35 "handles" better? Handling is very subjective. Handling is still important in drag racing, and it is important in autocross, however the types of handling are VERY different. Chances are, magazine tests are going to be running handling number and subjective tests on 100ft slaloms and back country roads...hardly the kind of conditions you would find in an AutoX course. In actuality, AutoX very strongly favors cars with shorter wheelbases, which actually does slightly favor the G35, but not too significantly. It also favors cars with bigger contact circles, which is talking tires and not cars. Also you might want to consider center of gravity, braking capability, and gear ratios(as well as speed and control of those gear ratios, severe advantage to manual transmission cars). "Performance" is VERY far from being represented by a few magazine numbers.

"Third, you indicate that you believe that, because the G35 has an automatic, the CTS would post 1-2 second faster times than the G35. While I haven't seen/heard any results, I don't believe that assumption would be supported by the track data of the major rags, in which the G35 beat the manual CTS in every performance category."

I didnt say that. I said that an automatic about a 1-2 second disadvantage over a manual car. This means a manual G35 with a competent drive would typically post 1-2 seconds faster times than an automatic G35.

"Fourth, if you really think that cars don't make a difference in racing, you need to go learn about the sport. The only way the car wouldn't make a difference is if all drivers drove the same car. Not the same make/model/year, but the SAME CAR."

I know a fair share about racing. I agree. HOWEVER we were talking very specifically about AutoX. In AutoX style racing, driver skill matters significantly much more than car choice. Ask anybody who races AutoX on a regular basis. You will find Miatas and Civics and Integras that post times that are quite a few seconds faster than Boxtsers, M3s, and Ferarris.

"Fifth, what is this stuff about "frightened"? Never indicated it. (Was that a "Freudian slip"?) I just indicated that I would love to match up against someone driving a (stock) CTS as I believe I could do well. 'nuff said... :)"

I brought up the frightened comment. Simply put, nobody is impressed, frightened, intimidated, etc when you pull up to the AutoX course with a nice car. Why? Because they know it is the driver that makes the difference. A good friend who rather-amaturely races AutoX with a first-gen MR2 in the Bay Area had a brief run in with a "racing-team" with a Lamborghini Diablo. Her best lap time was 4 seconds faster than the Diablos best lap.

It would take a lot more than someone quoting magazine performance specs of their car to convince me that they would beat ANYBODY in an AutoX race.
  • dane4dane4 Posts: 107
    I just got a call from my Wife... She was heading off the off ramp on the way home in the G35 and a car shot out of the parking lot of a strip mall on one of the faster streets she was on...

The car in front of her slammed into it broadside and she slammed on her brakes and the car stopped about 3 feet from making contact with the other cars, but you guessed it... she looks in her rear view mirror after hearing a loud long screech and *wham*

*sigh*

Well... she's ok, shaken but ok... now I have to go and give her a hug and see what damage is done...

Have a great 4th everyone... stay safe!

Faenor/Dane4
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    Have a great 4. Glad your wife is okay. That is the most important thing.
  • willjamwilljam Posts: 22
    Glad to hear that your wife is OK, hopefully, the 'G' did not sustain to much damage.
  • kevin111kevin111 Posts: 991
    Especially to dklanecky for the link. I will relay this information to my friend.
  • wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Posts: 363
    Good choice with the G35! I heard it is the highest rated vehicle for safety in Japans history.
  • Does anyone have an opinion about the extended 100,000 mile warranty? The dealer wants $2150 for it. He claims it comes with more benefits than the 60,000 mile warranty.

Thanks
    The closest thing I've seen to a G35 on the road was a billboard advertisement of one in the slums of northwest Indiana, while I was driving to Chicago.

Have they sold any of these cars outside the west coast? Only those used to seeing lowriding Honda Civics with coffee can tailpipes and four foot tall spoilers could see the beauty in this beast.
    dancingdoctor... Ask the dealer how long you have to purchase Infiniti's extended warranty. When I bought a long time ago, thinking you had 1 year or 12,000 miles from initial purchase to buy. I did end up buying but then sold the car before the original warranty expired. (If I remember right, the warranty actually is for 100,000 miles and starts at time of purchase. So they prorate the unused time/mileage from way back during the initial warranty period. So I only got a small amount back even though I never used it. Live and learn. And the dealer I sold the car to didn't want to buy the extended warranty off of me. He smiled and said "He'd rather sell the next buyer a warranty." Of course, since he'd make a small fortune on that.)

I never had a single warranty repair on either of my Infiniti. And that was in about 79,000 miles of driving. Extremely reliable.

On whole, doubt it is worth it. And you'll know by end of 4yr/60K bumper-to-bumper and 6yr/70K powertrain warranty whether you have a problem car. If you do, probably better just to sell off before end of initial warranty period.
    dancingdoctor... I rarely throw anything away. Found all my old records for the '96 G20t I bought with Infiniti Extended Protection Plan (EPP). Cost me $1,150. I sold the car at about 59,000 miles. I submitted the required notarized cancellation paperwork and then got 41 percent of the initial purchase price back (less the $35 cancellation fee), even though I never used the EPP once. As I found out to my chagrin, here is what the EPP said:

"The Service Agreement begins on the date the vehicle is delivered to the first retail buyer or is put into use ("in-service date"), whichever is earlier."

So the 7 yr/100,000 mile EPP coverage started on the day I bought the car (when she had 15 miles on it).

Get a copy of the current Infiniti EPP agreement and read over its fine print very, very carefully. You might also see if you can shop the EPP around, and might be able to buy from a different dealer. Maybe another dealer might sell it for less?
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,676
    Heh...This is humorous to me.

I actually think the car looks like a beast. It looks mean and aggressive, like it's about to bite you.

It actually looks like a 4 door 911 to me (and almost drives like one)...chomp
  • robmarchrobmarch Posts: 482
    I like the looks also, except I prefer the coupe taillights we've seen so far.

I think the Altima, G35 and the 350Z are doing a good job of reestablishing Nissan as a "performance first" manufacturer. the GTR could really build on this and provide a car that could hang with the Z06, 911, and M3. Should be a fun year or two for Nissan fans.

ps... cybersax, hope you're enjoying your "CTS"
  • stsurbrookstsurbrook Posts: 285
    Personally, I think that the Infiniti extended warranty is WAY over priced. Don't know how much more they can cover than "bumper-to-bumper", unless you include brakes or all maintenance, but doubt that is worth $2150. Better off putting the money in the bank an drawing interest. Also, the extended warranty my dealer tried to sell me had a $100 deductible, no way.

I have a Dodge Durango (a MUCH less reliable car) and got the extended warranty on it. Had to use it three times since the 3 years expired (still <36K miles, 1999 model) and it's extended warranty only has a $25 deductible.

I didn't buy the extended warranty with my G35 and have no regrets. Of course, your milage may vary...

Scott
    Personally, I don't put too much stock in JD Power awards. I'll put my belief in Consumer Reports that bases its impressions on a survey of >2 million car owners and their reliability experiences. Cadillac (or any other GM brand) hasn't been doing well...

Of course, I would think/hope that GM WOULD improve since they are now part owners of Toyota and SHOULD learning SOMETHING from the NUMMI joint venture (with Toyota) plant in Van Nuys, CA. Probably will be the best thing that has happened to GM in quite some time. However, Cadillac still hasn't fared well with Consumer Reports. For that matter, neither has Mercedes Benz...

Scott
    Just got back from my in-laws and with a relatively sedate highway drive and ~80 on the freeway we got about 26 mpg's this trip. First time I've broken the 26 mpg "barrier". Car has ~7200 miles.

Scott
    Oh, I forgot to mention that the Durango's extended warranty was $795 for 7/100K w/$25 deductible. Basically the same warranty as the 36/36K original warranty. However, it is not with Dodge, but another company.

The offer from the Infiniti dealership was ~$1295 from a 3rd party also w/$100 deductible. The Infiniti offer was what you were quoted.

Scott
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    ...it wasn't in Van Nuys - NUMMI is 350 miles north, in the SF Bay area, Fremont, to be precise.

And if the NUMMI experience has had any ruboff effect on GM, it sure has taken a long time to have any consequence - believe it or not, the partnership is now going on 20 years old.

The Fremont plant was shut by GM after making some of the worst products in the history of the company [and that was saying something in the awful '60s and'70s]; the workforce was UAW, and famous for being some of the most belligerent and militant people in the national union. Since Toyota took over running the plant, quality and productivity are up to worldwide Toyota standards, there hasn't been a work stoppage of consequence, new contracts are negotiated mostly in silence and civility, and there couldn't be a more dramatic demonstration of the importance of smart management to corporate success.

Our family has owned a total of 6 NUMMI-produced cars and trucks since the mid '80s - all have been trouble-free and typically Toyota bullet-proof. If GM in general, and Cadillac in particular, has somehow made any progress in its own plants from this partnership, it is looking pretty subtle to me. They still have so far to go...
This discussion has been closed.