Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti G35 Sedan 2006 and earlier

Comments

• 68bullitt68bullitt Posts: 177
    Yes, you're right. You can have different wheelbases using the same platform. I was merely trying to emphasize that the G35 and the Altima are very different cars and are built on different platforms. The G35 and the 350Z both use the new FM (Front Midship) design in which the engine is placed mostly behind the front axle for more balanced weight distribution and they also share the same basic VQ V6 engine (tuned to each car) and will share the same new 6-speed manual transmission.

I used to spend a lot of time in Japan and know that the Skyline has had a cult following there for many, many years. Nissan has been making the Skyline for decades, well before they even thought about making an Altima. Bottom line is that they are very different cars. Just because they are coming out around the same time does not mean that they are the same car. But I understand where you are coming from. At the auto show the other night, I must have overheard at least 90% of the attendees commenting that the G35 must be the Infiniti version of the Altima. I couldn't help but chuckle inside at their ignorance.

Since this confusion is very common, I think Nissan needs to make a TV commercial with nothing but a picture of the G35 and the words "This car is not based on the Altima" along with a voiceover saying that over and over again. Then show the two cars side by side with a not equal sign between them. They really do need to get this message across.
    If you're referring to the 5-spoke wheels, I'm pretty sure those are the 17" wheels that come with the Sports Suspension Package (that's what it says in the specs for the option packages). I believe the 6-spoke wheels that you see in most of the photos (and also on the auto show cars) are the standard wheels (not sure if they're 16" or 17"). Better double-check with your dealer.
  • aftyafty Posts: 499
    The Altima's 5.9 second 0-60 time was achieved by MotorWeek. Even crazier is the 14.4 sec@100 mph 1/4-mile run they got. You can see the review here:

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2105.shtml
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    It's interesting the G35 shares a platform with the new Z. Wasn't that the case when Infiniti first started...that the M30 was also on the old Z platform? I believe so.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    The Z Enthusiast 6MT and Performance 6MT models seems like the best value. The Track model's price kind of runs away.

-juice
  • anoonananoonan Posts: 29
    Called the Columbus, OH dealer...they originally said they wanted a $1k deposit. I called them later in the week and asked if the deposit was $500, they said that's fine. Didn't sound like they'd be dealing much, and the dealer didn't offer any incentive (didn't ask for one though I might when I go in).

Looking at the Emerald Mist exterior color but can't really tell what it will look like exactly (the web site pic just too small); dealer said it was a new color so probably not on a current Infiniti.
  • The new Altima has a color called "Mystic Emerald." Same as Infiniti's "Emerald Mist?" Probably not!

steve
  • again...let me clarify my statements

I never called the G35 Infinitis version of the Alitima and completely understand that the two have very little in common. All I wondered was if the G35 was LOOSELY based on the Altima platform. The reason I say this is because of Nissans commitment to reduce and consolidate the number of platforms of its cars. Thats all.

lenscap: I think that the M30 was based on the Maxima and not the Z. If it was based on the Z it would have been the pre-1990 generation since the M30 has been sold in Japan as the Nissan Leopard long before it was an Infiniti. Can anyone clarify?
    Not completely sure, but I also thought the M30 was based on the Maxima. The J30 however was based on the Z car platform. It even had the same 3.0L V6 as the normally-aspirated 300ZX.
  • swsmsswsms Posts: 62
    Does the G35 have traction control? Is it part of the Vehicle Dynamic Control feature on the G35? It wouldn't make sense for a RWD car with 260hp not to have it.
  • dfd3dfd3 Posts: 57
    Spoke with my dealer yesterday and picked up my order form for the gift card. He told me that this is NOT a national Infiniti program, but a program that my particular dealer is doing. Don't know if that is true or not.

Does anybody know when Motor Trend, C&D, R&T, etc. will be testing the G35? I am interested in knowing true performance numbers. I'm hoping for at least a 6.5 second 0-60 time and don't know what the extra cog in the tranny will do. I will see the car at our auto show on Jan. 31st. Does anyone know about any real-world testing?
  • According to the Inifini site, traction control and stability control are standard. Listed below is a description of the performance features listed under the standard equipment section:

G35 Luxury Model includes the following standard equipment:

PERFORMANCE
    260-hp 3.5-liter (3,498cc) DOHC V6 engine, aluminum-alloy block and heads. Low-friction
    molybdenum-coated pistons.

Electronically controlled 5-speed automatic transmission. Driver-adaptive learning algorithm
    senses driving style and adjusts automatic shifting accordingly. Manual shift mode offers sequentially selected manual gearshifts.

Brake Assist senses emergency-braking situations via how the driver depresses the brake pedal. If emergency-braking is detected, Brake Assist applies maximum brake force until the brake pedal is released.

Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD) varies front-to-rear brake proportioning based on vehicle load, for improved braking performance.

Traction Control System (TCS) senses wheelspin while accelerating, and automatically reduces (TCS) engine output, to help regain traction.

Infiniti Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC)1 compares the driver's input to the vehicle's response while cornering. By selectively braking individual wheels and/or
    reducing engine output, VDC can help the driver maintain control of the vehicle.

Anti-lock Braking System (4-wheel, 4-channel ABS)

I am really looking forward to test driving this car when it arrives.
  • anoonananoonan Posts: 29
    storyteller - thanks for the Altima color info...maybe mystic emerald and emerald mist are at least close!

Anyone know or guess if the G35 will have the trip computer with features like miles to empty, avg mpg, avg mph, etc.? Seems like it should but I didn't see any specific mention of it on the website or elsewhere....
  • ace10ace10 Posts: 137
    will the g35 have the trunk release on the floor, center console or on the ever-popular dash? If it's on the dash, is it to the left or right of the steering column?

ace
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    I'm sure the M30 was based off the Z because the M30 was RWD, not FWD like the Maxima.

I have a special Road & Track magazine from 1990 dedicated exclusively to Infiniti. It talks all about the development of the Q45 and M30. I'll check it out tonight if I remember.
    norcalmike2:

Actually, I just looked at the option packages again and realized that the 6-spoke wheels we see in most of the photos are probably the 17" wheels that come with the Leather Package. I still tend to believe the 5-spoke wheels are the ones that come with the Sports Suspension Package, however. Don't know what the base, standard 16" wheels on the standard model look like, though. Has anyone seen a photo of the base 16" wheels?
  • swsmsswsms Posts: 62
    Infiniti must have updated their site late last night because the spec info was not out their yesterday. I too can't wait until the test drive!
  • Does anyone else think the rear lights setup looks too much like the current Toyota Avalon? I never like the current Avalon's rear. I hope they do something different for the coupe. Also hope the coupe might be a hatchback like the 350Z.
  • Just got back from Infiniti in Cincinnati and have the expectation that there will be no incentives here. It's MSRP or nothing. They told me 0-60 in 5.9 seconds but that seems too fast. Can anybody else confirm? Also, sales guy really discouraged the nav system. I looked at one on an I35 and the Acura/Mercedes version seems easier to use and more complete as far as secondary roads, etc.
    Just did a little research, and you are right -- the Infiniti M30 was RWD and based on the Z car platform. However, it was not based on the '90-'96 Z car platform but the '84-'89 one, including the same engine. The M30 was outdated by the time it hit our shores and never sold well.
  • jvvjvv Posts: 10
    ucjrh89 mentioned that his local dealer was discouraging the Nav system in the G35. Did he give any specific reasons? Has anyone used the system in Q45 or I30?

I am surprised that a salesperson would discourage buying any accessory!! The Nav system is certainly not a requirement, but the pop-up screen is kind of cool.
  • Just got back from Infiniti in Cincinnati and have the expectation that there will be no incentives here. It's MSRP or nothing. They told me 0-60 in 5.9 seconds but that seems too fast. Can anybody else confirm? Also, sales guy really discouraged the nav system. I looked at one on an I35 and the Acura/Mercedes version seems easier to use and more complete as far as secondary roads, etc.
    ucjrh89 mentioned that his local dealer was discouraging the Nav system in the G35. Did he give any specific reasons? Has anyone used the system in Q45 or I30?

I am surprised that a salesperson would discourage buying any accessory!! The Nav system is certainly not a requirement, but the pop-up screen is kind of cool.
  • gandhim3gandhim3 Posts: 191
    Actually, it is the other way around. The rear suspension of the Altima is based on the G35. Remeber, the new Skyline was released (in Japan) before the Altima (in the US). However, it is just that - based on the Skyline, NOT an exact copy. Also, the V6 engines are pretty much the same for the Altima, G35 and the new Z - just in different states of tuning.

That is where the similarities end. You can think of the G35 as a 4-door version of the new Z, because that is really what it is. Which also explains why the G35 will not get the 6-speed manual right away. Nissan wants the Z to get it first. A big plus though will be that many of the after-market enhancement that inevitably show up for the new Z would probably apply just as well to the G35.

Actually, it is funny that the G35 gets confused with the Altima. On the hard-core Nissan fan forums, the Skyline gets confused with the Skyline GT-R - as in, why the G35 does not have the same power as the GT-R version, when previous generations did. The GT-R is a completely different beast, that in previous generations was based on the Skyline. Kinda like a 5-series compared to the M5. The next GT-R chassis will be based on the new Z chassis - engine config is still unknown however - probably a twin-turbo version of the 3.5 V6.

Anoonan, there is a trip computer function with all the features you are looking for, but it is only available with the DVD navigation system. I do not know why a salesman would DIScourage a customer to by a $2000 option. Either way, I am not interested in those fancy, expensive navigation systems. A $5 paper map will do just fine, thank you.

SWSMS, the G35 comes with Vehicle Dynamic Control (Infiniti's version of electronic stability program), traction control, electronic brake force distribution, electronic brake assist and ABS, all standard. I am waiting to see if the 6-speed manual is also offered with a limited slip differential.

Curiously enough, I have not seen any real-world tests of this car. I am sure they have been done in Japan, but I cannot read Japanese. I am sure you will read about this car in the mainstream American car magazine over the next couple months. It is hard to ignore a $27k 260-HP car, when BMW's offering in that price range only puts out 184-hp - and is smaller to boot!

As for 0-60 times, I would venture to say around 7 seconds for the auto, and a second faster with the manual.

Hope this helps. BTW, if this car is as good on the road as it is on paper, I will get it when the 6-speed manual is available.
  • Looking at the two pictures back to back on FreshAlloy the 5 spoke wheel definately looks smaller in the wheel well compaired to the 6 spoke wheels. The 17" wheels are standard with the leather package. I really don't think a sport suspension package that emphasizes performance and handling would go with a 16" wheel. What do you think? I'm just hoping that the 5 spoke wheel in the picture turns out to be the standard 16" wheel that comes with my "strippy" cloth G35. It's a good looking wheel in my opnion.

Also........A little thought about horsepower. Remember when Mazda got beat up not too long ago for claiming the new Miata had more horsepower than it really did? They had to buy back any Miata with that claim that the consumer wanted replaced. What do you want to bet the 260 horsepower claimed turns out to be a very "conservative" 260 just to avoid that problem. I have a funny feeling that the G35 will do very well in the 0-60 category. Even if it doesn't, I'm still buying one.

You might be right. The 5-spoke wheel looks a little smaller. However, according to the specs for the option packages, the Sports Suspension Package is suppose to get 17" 5-spoke wheels and summer performance tires. Perhaps these are different wheels from the one in the photo. It's anybody's guess. Perhaps you might want to check with your dealer as they may have photos of the different wheel options.
  • ligartligart Posts: 109
    > Does anyone else think the rear lights setup looks too much like the current Toyota Avalon?

Absolutely.

> I hope they do something different for the coupe.

Me too.

> Also hope the coupe might be a hatchback like the 350Z.

Probably not :-( Have you seen the sketch of the coupe at nissannews.com?
  • The Acura TL Type-S does 0-60 in 6.6 according to even the Edmunds tests. They both have manual mode 5-speed automatics and 260 hp. But the new G35 28 more lb-ft of torque driving the rear wheels instead of the front wheels while pulling over 200 lbs less weight. Add the rumor that the G35 will have aggressive gear ratios, and the G35 could easily get 0-60 times in the very low 6's.

As for the handling, the Altima handles almost as well as the BMW M3 in Edmunds slalom tests. If the G35 has better feel and slightly better handling then it will handle wonderfully.

There is truly the potential for the G35 to be faster and more nimble than anything it's competing against. Add that it is roomy and well-priced, and I really want one.
This discussion has been closed.