Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra 1500 Owners

Comments

• shadypop5shadypop5 Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone ever tried out and types of chips or programers, especially hypertech programers on a 1999-2002 chevy 1500 with the 5.3 engine. I'm looking to get one and am woundering if they really work and if it's worth it. :confuse:
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Been there done that. There are a lot better programmers out there besides Hypertech. Course a lot depends on your desire to experiment with a lot of variables. The Hypertech doesn't offer a lot of options compared to say the Predator. They are priced competitively.

Oh yeah I had the Hypertech on my '00 rado with the 5.3 and 3.73
    What do the predators run in price and what types of progrmas do they offer, and settings do they adjust.
    This one comes with a $100 off coupon:

http://www.concoursdirect.com/99gmgasveprp.html

You can read the specs for the Predator. No comparison especially with that coupon... ;)
  • bristol2bristol2 Member Posts: 736
    I have some questions for the GMC/Chevy truck guys,

I am interested in getting a light duty truck and think the GMC Sierra is the best looking one out there. My question is that I put 20-25k miles a year on my vehicle and really want good mileage. Is there any information about GM putting a light duty diesel in the 1500's?

Also, I notice that there are a lot of problem-forums in the GMC/Chevy forums, are the 2007+ models trouble prone? I thought they were being awarded for best truck all over the place?

Any insight welcome.
  • 12ozcurls12ozcurls Member Posts: 65
    Yes as a matter of fact there is some info on a new diesel for the light duty's. Check it out here:

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/news/gm/fullsize/newdieselsfromgm.html

As far as the problem-forums, well one of the reason's there are so many posts about GMC/Chevy is because there are so many out there. So naturally there are going to be more problems reported. There are quite a few Toyota Tundra problems out there as well, both with the current tundra and the previous one. Reason being, at least in my opinion, is that cars and trucks are getting ever more complicated. The more complicated you make something, the less reliable it becomes. Some of it too is just skimping on quality parts. Hopefully they speared no expense but only time will tell if the new truck will hold up. There is no way to tell what problems will pop until they do start popping up.
  • dlovesbdlovesb Member Posts: 34
    How much should a rearbrake job cost? I got an estimate from a garage that I go to once in a while. The estimate is for $ 940.31 including 10% discount. They would replace backing plates, 2 rotors, ceramic pads, oils seal, rear brake cables,rear brake e-shoes. I thought this was outrageous. Then they wanted me to tip the employee for looking at my vehicle. The garage has no appointment necessary policy which I like and they do good work.These are just the rear brakes. I had my fronts done somewhere else for $180.00 including ceramics and turning of rotors.HELP!!!!!!! :confuse:
    My truck is a 1999 silverado 4x4 1500. The garage claims that the e-brake is frozen and I have a month of brake pad left. As earlier I had the fronts done somewhere else for 180. The high estimate garage, mentioned that the axles would have to be removed to install backing plates which are junk. ( this I know). Is this reasonable or am being a good sucker customer? :mad:
    So how much would that $180 place charge to do the rears?
  • b36b36 Member Posts: 15
    I have a 2006 sierra that I bought new. I have had no problem with it. I ran the vin. through carfax just messing around. They claim they have 6 items on my truck. I have not bought the report. i am curious what they have on my truck. Has anyone ever done this on a truck they bought new? Is the report worth it.
    Hi, I just had the rears done but not by the 180.00 garage. I didn't like how they lied about me providing the wrong pads which I found out later on was a lie by the place I bought them from. So I went to get another opinion and I paid 340.00 for a rear ceramic brake job and adjustment on the e-brake. No new backing plates. I will have them done in a couple of months or so. The entire job would of been 750.00 with backing plates and new e- brake cables. This guy is 300.00 cheaper than the the frist garage I am a good customer at or was...I should say. :P
    Would putting your 4x4 truck in auto traction 4x4 or another setting for racing at the lights on a wet road give you traction enough to win? I had my tires spinning off the line and down the road but the front wheel drive car just pulled away. So it was usless for me. If it was on a dry day I would have been gone!!!! Also does this damage the truck?:confuse:
    Hi I switched over to AMSOIL. The best you can do for your truck. Cheaper if you order online than buying from a dealer of this product in your area. They will list specifically for your truck what you will need. You change your oil and filter once a year! No kidding! They do sell a flush in a can to use before changing oil over. I recomend you drain oil then put on another oil filter like fram or stp. Run your truck with the cleaning oil junk remover then remove the fram/stp filter, drain junk oil from the truck replace with AMSOIL filter fill with AMSoil filter. AWESOME! ;)
    I've seen a lot of guys launch in 4WD with no problems. Some have installed stall converters.

FWD car eh?
    Funny you mentioned oil. I have 3 friends that own independent shops. One says Mobil 1, another says Royal Purple, the third says buy whatever is cheapest and change at 4K.

To maximize your OCI (oil change interval) I would recommend doing an oil analysis. This site has oil analysis covered as well as some other interesting reading...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
  • davhorsleydavhorsley Member Posts: 1
    Last time I used Carfax they listed things like titling, registration, transfer of ownership, etc. So that could be a lot of what you're seeing. I wouldn't worry about it unless you go to sell it and someone tells you there is something bad on Carfax.
  • gearhedgearhed Member Posts: 26
    Be sure to only use AUTO 4wd. That way, if you forget about it and drive on dry pavement, you won't overload the front transfer case while turning. READ your owners manual.
    I always turn on the AUTOTRAC when its raining. This stops any wheel spin when taking off.
    Yes, the car was an older maxima stock. My truck was spinning on a wet road all the way down the street going no where. The maxima just said by by after 25 feet! What do you think? :mad:
    0-60 in 6.6 all day long. You would be hard pressed to run 7.5 without wheel slippage. Though I've heard the HD diesel Silverados will run 12.0 1/4 mile with minor mods... ;)
  • tbdomenztbdomenz Member Posts: 5
    Hello to all, I am new to this forum and recently aquired a 1997 Silverado 5.7L ,185k miles. Looking for a shop manual to take care of a few odds and ends. Anyone know anything peculiar to this model ? Seems to run well and smooth but has some mechanical clacking on startup that fades away in about 5 minutes. Has a "gullwing" double door bed cover that I may want to sell. The cover came from a Canadian company-I think that's where the truck was built. Thinking about a dual exhast setup. Any recommedations and comments would be appreciated.
  • christian_jarrchristian_jarr Member Posts: 3
    New to trucks, and I'm interested in purchasing this SLT with 260,000 km. The previous owner used it to tow a fifth wheel. If well maintained are these trucks and this engine (with the automatic transmission) generally considered reliable?

Thank you
    Hi TBDomenz, AUTOZONE sells the manual for chevy trucks. I have a flowmaster cat back dual exhaust with the 40 series muffler, 2 1/2" chrome long tips. It sounds awesome. David. :)
    I haven't had the problem of warrenties. When I bought my trucks in the past, there was always a clause somewhere that always profited the dealer in a breakdown and somehow I wasn't covered.. So when I bought my last truck used, I didn't get any warranty other than the 30 day one here in east Mass. As far as Toyota goes the Tundra (used)is the same price as the Tacoma but the Tundra will give you that awesome car ride. Tacoma doesn't. In the Tundra you will lose 3 miles per gallon. Big deal since it is a v8 and the Tacoma is a v6 with a bouncy ride. with a smaller cabin. This info is from my brother inlaw who researched this as he just bought a Tundra. I own a silverado ( bouncy ride) But I'm glad to see you are making the dealers work for their $$!
  • 12ozcurls12ozcurls Member Posts: 65
    well it is about at this milage that things start to break or need to be replaced do to wear, especially if he towed with it. Generally they are considered reliable but with this many miles i dont think it is worth it...
    I know a fair amount and i hope this info helps you but i'm no expert, being that it's a diesel thats a plus, but if it's a 1995, it will have the 6.5L Turbo, i'm gussing it's the turbo version anyway, if it was a gas i would say absolutly not, but being that it is a diesel that helps things, but even for a diesel it's starting to get up there in miles, i'd say at most theres probably 75,000 left on it, before things like the diesel pump and injector pump start going out, and since it's a truck that allready 12 years old it's probably a leaky one too. But then again the guy might have taken real good car of it, and it might have been 260,000 easy miles too, but i would find out what he pulled as far as a fifth wheel, was it just a camper, or was it a 40ft, tandom axel flatbed loaded all the time, because if it did heavy pulling the tranny could be getting loose in it, and the rear end might be kind of loose also, but it was just a camper there not too heavy and that wouldn't be too hard on it, but beware of high mileage 6.5L engines they tend to have week turbos, and like i said the fuel pumps get bad, now i'm a chevy guy, but if it was a Ford, i know that the the 7.3L in thoughs years was a very good engine that could go forever, but i've heard things about the 6.5L, but anyway i hope this helps you in your desision, good luck.
    Thank you for your input.

The previous owner had a camping trailer and insists that he took good care of the truck. And yes, it is a turbo 6.5 diesel engine.
    Adding to my thinking that it might make for a fine truck is the fact that where we live we don’t get much of a winter and salt is never used. Also, the truck has never been in an accident.

Thank you once again.
    Can anyone tell me what I can expect to get out a tank of diesel? I drive like an old man and more often than not, I would not be pulling anything.

Thank you
  • 2007denali2007denali Member Posts: 16
    Has anyone out there purchased a Superchips Cortex programmer for there vehicle? I called Superchips and they told me it would add 32 horsepower & 35 ft lbs torque to my 2007 GMC Sierra Denali AWD with the 6.2L 403hp/417tq engine.

I'm just wondering if it is worth it. Thanks.
    If that's the case that the body is in good condition and that he didn't pull heavy loads and flushed the transmission on a regular basis, then i'd say all you'll have to worry about is high mileage diesel problems like fuel pump and leaks and that's about all.
  • tbdomenztbdomenz Member Posts: 5
    Hi dlovesb, I'll check out the Autozone guys , there are 2 in my neighborhood.
    Coupla questions for you regarding the exhaust system....what year is your PU? what engine do you have ? did you notice any performance issues? have you heard the Magnaflow system? Those 2 seem to be the most popular. Someone said they thought Magnaflow sounded better but I haven't heard either one :confuse: If you have a digital camera, the time and inclination, you could record the sound and send it via email :) Maybe someone else could do the Magnaflow system :) And maybe someone could organise a library on the web of exhaust sounds, how cool would that be? :shades:
    If you go to the manufacturer's website they usually have .wav files so that you can "experience" their exhaust tone. Some sites like corsa will even have sound files for different vehicles with the corsa exhaust. I think you have a better chance there than having someone record it for you.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter seeks consumers who have decided to keep their truck, instead of purchasing a new one, given the economic climate. If you’re a home builder, that would be even more helpful. Please send your daytime contact information to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, December 10, 2007.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Hi TBDOMENZ. I have a 1999 siverado z71 4x4 with the series 40 flowmaster.I had the exhaust installed at a muffler and brake( actual name) shop. It starts at the cat and flows into the flowmaster single inlet then splits into two 2 1/2 "pipes from the single outlet that are angled out the back behind tires. The tips are rounded stainless and are over 12" long each. This shop also installs the magnaflow but agreed with the flowmaster as the loudest. I love overpasses and the Boston tunnel! The cost 500.00 installed and garranteed.Performance is improved or at least I think it added pep. You can got to the flowmaster website and hear all the mufflers for yourself. If you want even more power and sound , remove square airfilter box right out of truck. Replace with an airhog square filter that will fit like any other one and zip tie the filter in place. Face the filter down and let the air from the bottom of the truck under the hood blast into it! I clean the filter about every 3 months with the cleaning kit that you only buy once. it gets about as dirty as it would in that big box but with the entire surface of air getting in it! :)
    remove the restrictive screen on the MAF with a dremel and watch the air flow.
  • rxcobrarxcobra Member Posts: 1
    Can I tell from a VIN just what size engine was built for a particular model ?? Also, is there any way to determine the difference between a Vortec 5300 and a Vortec 4800 by looking at the 2 engines ? Thanks so much for your help !!

BTW - I just bought a 2005 Silverado Z71
    LM7= 5.3
    LR4= 4.8
    99 silverado new ceramic vrakes and rotors all around tires big 3 months 4 months old engine has 120.000 on it.
    rust starting inside doorways and bottom of extra cab. It is a 4x4. It has alot of extra add ons on it for looks, grill inserts light covers. bed cover. When do you think? :confuse:
  • mrquick1mrquick1 Member Posts: 1
    my 1985 gmc pickup stopped running on me . it will crank but wont start .i changed plugs, rotor,wires,distribitorand fuil filter and it still wont fire up.what can i try to do next to see where the trouble is at? any help ?
  • simmons4simmons4 Member Posts: 1
    i just bought a 02 Silverado and was wondering the lights are under the headlights? there by the turn signals and there white. are they the daytime running lights? and if so how do i turn them on i cant find a switch anywhere and i dont have a manual

thanks
    Yep thats the DRL. You can temporarily disable them by depressing the dome light switch 4 times. It will come back on with the next startup. There is no permanent off switch.
  • canwcanw Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2008 Chevy Silverado LTZ with the Vortec Max 6 Liter engine. This truck is a 4x4 regular bed with about 3500 miles. When the truck is in gear but stopped (ex. at a stop light) it idles erratically, going up and down several hundred rpm. Then when we're underway, it runs fine. I've had the dealer service guys check it and they tell me everything is within the computer specs--it's just the way the engine was designed. I contacted GM and they tell me the same thing--"it's just the nature of the beast." Anybody else own one of these and experience the same kind of problem?
  • topsail33topsail33 Member Posts: 19
    Hi all. I have a '00 Silv ext. cab 4x4, 4.8L auto, with 95k miles.

The parking brake shoes are shot, and the rear rotors look like they're in need of replacement. I had all my rotors turned back around 45k miles.

I was wondering if anyone had comments about Napa-brand rotors / pads? They are the closest parts store to me, and I like them. If not Napa, what would you recommend? OEM ? This is a truck that gets little-use, so I don't need any HD or cross-drilled (over-priced) stuff.

Thanks - Mark
    Hi Mark, I just replaced my brakes. I went with ceramic pads. They last longer and hardly any brake dust. Autozone sells them or even NAPA should. I highly recomend them. How are your brake shields behind the rear brakes? If they are rusted out, you should replace those as long as you are doing the brakes. That is if you plan on keeping the truck. If they are gone then your emergency brakes will go. It is costly for labor for this. I didn't have mine done yet. David.
  • ljtoolmanljtoolman Member Posts: 3
    I have 2002 Silverado. I was wondering , is there any upgrade for the factory fog lights. I have one burned out and would like to upgrade to something brighter. Maybe those "blue lights". Any suggestions ?
    Well my friend I have also wanted to up grade or add a set of foglights to the extra two vented slots underneath the front bumperof my truck 99 silverado. These lights have a particular shape to them. They are exspensive to replace. I would check to see if you can take the bulb out from behind like your regular headlamp and maybe swap it for a blue bulb similar size. Otherwise if you use aftermarket to fill the space it looks cheap. I did see a silverado with hd headlights and it looks awesome! it is in my neighborhood. it must of cost him a fortune to convert the lights. David :)
    The stock bulb requires a Sylvania 880. The upgrade to that is the 893. However, the 893 will melt the plastic housing and possibly cause a fire. How do I know this? Been there done that. Replace the bulb with the 880.
  • ljtoolmanljtoolman Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone tried those new sylvania silverstar ultras ? Are they worth the $50 bucks for two bulbs ? They claim in the add that they give a wider path which would be great where we live due to the large deer population.
    Silverstar ultras are good bulbs increasing visibility. Downside is that average life is one year or less.
    ljtoolman, I also wanted the brighter lights. I asked my local AUTOZONE store about which one was the best. They told me they are all the same. That they really don't make much of a difference. I had bought some in the past and I agree. The only way to get brighter as far as I can see is to replace the headlights with a HD kit. It makes a huge :D difference! It is pricey though. That is my opinion.David.
  • topsail33topsail33 Member Posts: 19
    I should have posed this question before I made 3 trips to the parts store, trying to find the right Torx socket.

2000 Silverado - front brake calipers: I've tried a T50 (too small) and a T-60 (too big). Is it a T-55? Where/who carries it?

Thanks!