Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra 1500 Owners

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
This discussion is for owners of the Silverado 1500.

KarenS
Host
Owner's Clubs

Comments

• mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    So I guess I'm it.

Mike L

1999 Silverado 4x4 4.8L 5spd Reg Cab Longbed

Average mpg - 15.4 w/pop up camper installed

Longest trip 13,000 miles to Alaska and back to California via Iowa.

Later
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    you had to go an do it didnt you?

Well just to let you all know i got this whole thing (club) started

Thanks Karen !!!
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    Why didn't you tell me you wanted to be 1st? I waited almost a half and hour after it was setup!

Mike L
  • mpalombompalombo Member Posts: 186
    Hello everybody,

Ryan, Thanks for getting this setup.

Mark
    i dont care that you went first

i didnt know it was setup till i got back and had an email from karen. I talked to her about a wk ago to get this going

hopefully many more people will be over here soon.
  • ricobeachricobeach Member Posts: 29
    Hey everyone,

What are we supposed to talk about in this discussion that isn't covered in the others?

Rico
    2000 Ext Cab, 4.2L, Auto, A/C, and tons of warranty work!
  • dallas75dallas75 Member Posts: 72
    Hey folks, been awhile. Thanks for getting this set up Ryan.

Jerry M. 1999 Z-71, 5.3, Blue/Silver 24,000 somewhat trouble-free miles.
  • valkyvalky Member Posts: 21
    or is that another number?!? I guess that's for another forum.

Nice job Ryan, I've been wondering when our own owners club was going to pop-up.

Valky
    Pics of my truck are at

http://www.picturetrail.com/ryanbab

in case no one has seen em

Ryan

• grnsilveradogrnsilverado Member Posts: 23
    2001 Silverado Extended cab, Deep Green, Rhino Bed Liner, Husky ToolBox, DeeZee Rail Caps, DeeZee Stainless Steel Wheel well moldings, and Just getting started! oh and 2987 miles
  • bettisphbettisph Member Posts: 2
    Had the update done on transmission shifting and wish I had the old shifting back. Anyone hear of an update that would do that from GM?
  • michgndrmichgndr Member Posts: 160
    Just checking in.
  • jaguar0027jaguar0027 Member Posts: 387
    2001 Silverado Ext Cab 4x4 5.3 Pewter...

1500 miles and lovin it so far...

Jim
  • chuck2001chuck2001 Member Posts: 3
    Hi everybody.
    My truck's a 2001 ext. cab LS, Medium Charcoal Grey Met. w/5.3L, 3.73 rear end, locking diff. It's got deep tinted windows all around (except the windshield).

It's not a 4x4, so what do you call it, a 4x2 or a 2x4?
  • rchrisliprchrislip Member Posts: 8
    My trucks the same as yours except it is a 2000. I have just begun shopping for a dual exhaust system fot it. So far I have found a Gibson split rear system that will run about $360 from a catalog. I just want something a little BEEFY and not too loud. Have you researched this yet?

Thanks

Ron
  • chuck2001chuck2001 Member Posts: 3
    No, I haven't checked into an aftermarket exhaust. Thought I'd wait until it's paid off sometime next year, before starting to add "extras". I did however, just get the driver and passenger side windows tinted to match the rear and rear-side windows deep tinting. I found out in March that I have skin cancer, and the tinting I had put on at Ziebart is supposed to block out many of the sun's UV rays.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    you will regret it.
  • truck96truck96 Member Posts: 22
    I bought this truck new in 96 had lots of rear end seal leak trouble, the one where the pinion shaft stick through, dealer replaced it 2 times and then wasn't long later the gears went to roaring guess what he overtigtened the pinion crush sleeve but i guess after new gears the 3rd time was the charm no more troubles. I have 56,000 miles on this truck and no problems yet but since day one there has been some ticking noise on the first startup every day i here gm had to much clearance on the bearings i just hope she will hang on till 200,000. Any of you guys have the ticking noise on startup.
    Later
    Greg
  • rchrisliprchrislip Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the info Chuck and Obyone. After checking some mufflet shops here in Hampton,
    it looks like most of them offer a Flowmaster system anywhere from $255 to $400. Also some dude at Mizer said I didn't need a muffler as long as I have a Cat. Conv. but he would put on a turbo muffler and pipes for about $280. Some also offer a Vortec system and Midas (most expensive) has a Raven system. So I guess I may go with the Flowmaster, I don't know what series yet, I heard that a 70 series is pretty quiet, maybe a 50 will do.

Ron
    If you do go with the Flowmasters, check this site out. The Flow owners have added a Venturi to their Flowmaster system with great results. Course you could skip the Flows and go with the whole PV system.

http://209.35.112.209/performance/messages/118236.html

http://www.pvmufflers.com/id24.htm

• bcobco Member Posts: 756
    gotta say hey here too. check out the main listing for all the details.

pics of my truck and info on 'rado maintenance can be found by clicking here

laterz,
    bco
  • zimzamzimzam Member Posts: 10
    Hi, I am thinking of purchasing a '01 Silverado,1500HD,Crew Cab,4WD, 6.0L. But I have been reading some of the other various messages. I have been noticing that there seems to be a lot of problems with engine noises and cooling problems with the towing. Also seems like the dealer won't help. Does anybody have any insite to this with this vehicle?
  • dgore1dgore1 Member Posts: 20
    I'd be interested in hearing more about the issues you mentioned in posting #23. I just bought a 1500HD 4wd last Saturday and hadn't seen anything posted to date that questioned this specific vehicle, aside from some suspension sag on the left side of some trucks.
    Since you have the 6.0, do you have the knock on startup?
  • bmichabmicha Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have a source for finding out how much you can tow with the 1500HD? The chevy site doesn't show any info for the 1500HD.
    Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks
  • boudrawf1boudrawf1 Member Posts: 2
    New to the forum today. I have '99 Gold 1500 Z71 4X4. 25K miles. Runs great.....still love it. Few problems. All have been covered adequately in the Silverado Problems forum. I'm interested in buying running boards and would like to see discussion of likes and dislikes of the various types on the market. Seems to be lots to choose from. Tks in advance. Will
    i really like my nerf bars.

http://www.picturetrail.com/ryanbab

• boudrawf1boudrawf1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the feedback. Will
  • brandkorbrandkor Member Posts: 1
    Found this place by luck and look foward to all the tips I'm gettin already.
    Just bought a 2001 Z71 ext.cab long bed.Love it already but look foward to puttin a few mods on it.
  • 99sportside99sportside Member Posts: 1
    I have always been impressed by the quiet cabs. However, on my 99 model, I am experiencing a very noisy interior. It appears to be coming from the air exhast vents located behind the passenger seat. These vents seem to have made their appearance beginning in 1999. 2000 and 2001 models also have the air vents, but a heavy rubberized sheild has been attached to the bed to block air flow. Does anyone have any information concerning this?
    not the rear quarter windows?
  • brickeybrickey Member Posts: 9
    Anybody put a remote starter on their Silverado? I have a 2000 Ext, Z71 and getting kinda lazy about the cold.

Rob
  • leihua5264leihua5264 Member Posts: 11
    I purchased a 1500 LT series ext. cab dk tinted windows, auto, 2wd, fully loaded w/no leather.
    Dk Maroon w/gold trim.
    Love it, so far no problems bought it in may, have 7152 miles.

Gas Mlg around 20mpg better than my 2002 TrailBlazer.
  • mkuettelmkuettel Member Posts: 2
    Looking for information about a factory 1-1/2" adjustment kit my dealer says exists to level the front end on a 2002 Z71, but won't give me the part number for it. Anyone know what is included in the kit? I would like to know what I'm paying for.
  • mpalombompalombo Member Posts: 186
    Mark,

I'm not sure if this is the same thing the dealer is talking about but here is a link to a leveling kit.

http://www.hill4wheeldrive.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?category=category01&item=5479418692

If the link doesn't work then just go to www.hill4wheeldrive.com and look for the 2.5 inch front leveling kit for Sierra/Silverado.

The web page says it is for 99-01 but I'm sure it will work on the '02 also, you should just call them to verify that.

The cost is 149.00 + shipping, what is the dealer charging?

-Mark

• seaboseabo Member Posts: 3
    Hello out there! Please check out my homepage@ hometown.aol.com/seabo/myhomepage/auto.html
    GM could do this to you too! Too unbelievable if I didn't have to experience this nightmare first hand...Debbi
  • mazdamarlamazdamarla Member Posts: 350
    Hi everyone - I usually hang out on the Mazda6 board (as you can prolly tell from my name), but my husband owns a 1999 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 pickup (not the Z71 version). And since Edmunds has such good advice from other owners, I thought I'd post here.

Last night he was driving home - about a 40-minute drive - and a "SERVICE 4WD" light was lit the entire time. He did not have 4WD in gear at the time. This is the first time it's happened. In the 4 years he's owned this truck (he got it new in April of '99), he's not had to use 4WD very often - only a few times when we had a lot of snow, etc. (we're in Michigan).

Any ideas, before he takes it in to the dealer?

Thanks!
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    Have you tried adjusting the torsion (sp) bar? did it to my 01 1500 LT and leveled off the front end quit nicely. very simple to do too. want to get it alinged after you do it thought, but cheaper than that kit.
       Tom
  • butch23butch23 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2000 Z71 with 47000 miles. The rear spring bushings have started "groaning". I have tried everything from WD 40 to rubber lubricant that I bought from my dealer. The rubber lube worked the best but for only about a week. I'm getting tired of crawling under my truck every week to stop the noise. Does anyone have any suggestions? Are there any service bulletins that are out there?

Butch
  • balichbalich Member Posts: 62
    Go to this website to get ALL car/truck bulletins
    for all vehicles .. pretty slick site .. I saw
    bulletins for stuff I experience .. never knew
    others seen these problems also ..

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/tsbsearch.cfm
    but is there ANYONE else out there with the ZX3 ride control option on their truck. From posting on other boards no one has said anything. Is it THAT rare that very few people have it or what???
    glad people read this
  • moonunit2moonunit2 Member Posts: 1
    4x4 2DR to a semi that crumpled body and frame, need advice on how to find another one in similar mechanical, interior and exterior condition (mine was near perfect in all areas), tow package, full skid plates, low miles of course. Have looked at all of the online used vehicle locators, no luck so far, dealers are no help. Anyone out there have any ideas about how to find a replacement? Are there people/companies who specialize in specific make/model older vehicles? Will avoid anything ever registered in California or repainted.
  • jpindorskijpindorski Member Posts: 4
    I just today took my brand new 2003 "Clunkrolet" Silverado with 7000 miles on it in to the dealer for the second time for the infamous clunking problem. The first time they used the "magical special grease" which lasted about a week before the clunking returned. The standard response is it's "operating to the manufacturers specs, they all do that and it's normal." Normal my [non-permissible content removed]. Fords and Dodges don't go clunking around the roads like my Silverado does. It's an obvious engineering problem. I read where one fix was a nickel plated slip yoke and I mentioned that to the service guy today and he said the 03's already had those on them. Well, then that wasn't a fix was it? I also read where they were replacing the drive shafts. Anyway, one way or another, I want the problem resolved. I'm waiting on the dealers call as I write this to see what they are going to say. I suspect I already know their response. Someone mentioned lemon law. That might be a start. Or maybe a complaint with the Feds. I know for sure I will be calling GM's complaint line.
    We have been a GM family for 30 plus years. My wife drives a 2003 Buick. But I swear that after paying $32,000 for a vehicle with such a glaring problem and getting an "it's normal" excuse from GM I will sell the "clunker" and go with the 2004 Ford truck.
    GM's Service Bulletin states:
    "While some owners may find the clunk noise objectionable, this will not adversely affect durability or performance."
    They're damn right, I FIND IT "OBJECTIONABLE".

My advise to someone thinking about a Chevy/GMC truck is to think again.
  • balichbalich Member Posts: 62
    Got a '03 Silverado ..have 2 question about the vents and AC ...

1. I noticed if I got the blower on 'VENTS only' and have the setting on 0 (ie OFF) .. I still get air blowing out of the vents .. is this a problem?
    (I would think with setting to 0 the vents would
    be closed and no air coming out of the vents)

2. Also if I *do not* have the AC turned on and have the blower on "vents only" and have the "air circulated in car only" ... the air coming out of the vents is AC air even though the AC is not turned on ... is this a problem ?
    (I would think with the AC turned OFF .. the air
    coming out of the vents would be outside air - Not AC air)

Is this normal ? Do you folks get same results ?
  • bigd83bigd83 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 99 Silverado 1500 LS, time to upgrade the stereo. Has anyone done speaker swap outs in these trucks and if so, was it hard? I have experience with stereos, but mainly in imports, trying to save money where i can but not sure if its worth it. Thanks
    Yes, that is normal. Or at least the same thing happens in the '02 Avalanche.
  • bosscatbosscat Member Posts: 1
    Hello.
    After several years of getting around by motorcycle and bus, I finally bought a 2003 Silverado LT Ext. Cab w/ a 5.3 V8 engine and the Z71 package--and love it! It's a great ride, smooth and has plenty of room on the inside for a child's seat and other "toys."

My questions are:
    1. Are the two skid plates they put on the bottom of the truck enough? I thought they would put a skid plate to cover both the gas tank and the muffler, but I didn't see one.

2.What kind of liner should I purchase? Should I get a spray on or the GM plastic liner?

3. What about a top? Any recommendations for a cover?

Thanks,
    Bosscat
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    Most Japanese 4X4 compact pickups and many Japanese 4X4 SUVs have standard skid plates installed under the front diferential, transfer case, and the gas tank. Never seen a skid plate installed under the muffler, because this is not a very expensive or critical component to protect, and usually is tucked into the frame far enough not to be easily damaged. I owned a Dodge Raider SUV (Mitsubishi Montero clone) and it had a small skid plate even under the fuel filter which was under the vehicle. US manufacturers make skid plates optional on most 4X4 vehicles and rarely include the fuel tank skid plate, which in my opinion is by far the most important one from the safety standpoint.

My recommendations for the bedliner: I would stay away from plastic bedliners because they will scuff your paint and eventually rub it completely off in places and rust spots will develop. If you do not carry loose gravel, sand or sharp objects in your truck bed, then heavy duty rubber mat on the bottom of the bed, with a plastic bedliner tailgate piece works great(you can buy the tailgate piece separately and they also sell matching rubber mat tailgate protectors). I have used this combination in my trucks for years. The mat prevents objects in the bed from sliding around. Plastic bedliners will not prevent that. If you must use a plastic bedliner, they sell something called a "paint saver mat" for about $ 20. This is a thin mat that goes under the bedliner to protect the paint from scuffing. For the tailgate piece and for over the rail bedliners, always use foam tape on top of the bed rails and top of your tailgate. Yes, even bolted on tailgate bedliner piece moves around and will scuff your paint on top of the tailgate in time.

Bed cover/camper shell recommendation: Too many choices here. I personally prefer fiberglass camper shells over aluminum or plastic ones.
    I have a 99 Silverado, step-side bed. The bed has black plastic pieces that run along the sides along the top of it. They overlap both into the bed and then outside the bed as well. They dont look too bad but I have noticed similar trucks without them. Can I take them off and if so, is it hard to do so? Also, since there are no marks or anything on them to indicate otherwise, will the paint look like a normal truck underneath?