Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra 1500 Owners

Comments

• cyberdynecyberdyne Member Posts: 36
    Replace bushings with neoprene rubber bushings if you can find them. This was the usual upgrade for camaros and mustangs
    What is the clunking noise? Is it coming from the drive shaft, engine or what?
    One of the vehicles I considering is a 2003 or a 2004 Silverado 1500 ls with a 4.8 v8 and a 5 spd tranny. I will be using it to move 15k miles away, then as a daily driver? Will this truck hold up or can I expect a lot of problems? Please let me know any opinions.
     Thanks, Michael
  • mbear69mbear69 Member Posts: 1
    I had a '99 1500 Z71 Ext Cab with this problem. It ended up being a problem with the switch for the auto transfer case. Fixed the problem under warranty. Just traded up for a 2004 Z71 Ext Cab.
  • arttartt Member Posts: 14
    There are two types of rear end clunk, read this TSB.
    Info - Driveline Clunk #99-04-20-002A
    Driveline Clunk
    2002 and Prior Light Duty Truck Models
    This bulletin is being revised to add model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 99-04-20-002 (Section 04 -- Driveline/Axle).
    Important
    The condition described in this bulletin should not be confused with Driveline Stop Clunk, described in Corporate Bulletin Number 964101R (Chevrolet 92-265-7A, GMC Truck 91-4A-77, Oldsmobile 47-71-20A, GM of Canada 93-4A-100) or Bump/Clunk Upon Acceleration, described in Corporate Bulletin Number 99-04-21-004.
    Some owners of light duty trucks equipped with automatic transmissions may comment that the vehicle exhibits a clunk noise when shifting between Park and Drive, Park and Reverse, or Drive and Reverse.
    Similarly, owners of vehicles equipped with automatic or manual transmissions may comment that the vehicle exhibits a clunk noise while driving when the accelerator is quickly depressed and then released.
    Whenever there are two or more gears interacting with one another, there must be a certain amount of clearance between those gears in order for the gears to operate properly. This clearance or freeplay (also known as lash) can translate into a clunk noise whenever the gear is loaded and unloaded quickly, or whenever the direction of rotation is reversed. The more gears you have in a system, the more freeplay the total system will have.
    The clunk noise that owners sometimes hear may be the result of a buildup of freeplay (lash) between the components in the driveline.
    For example, the potential for a driveline clunk would be greater in a 4-wheel drive or all-wheel drive vehicle than a 2-wheel drive vehicle. This is because in addition to the freeplay from the rear axle gears, the universal joints, and the transmission (common to both vehicles), the 4-wheel drive transfer case gears (and their associated clearances) add additional freeplay to the driveline.
    In service, dealers are discouraged from attempting to repair driveline clunk conditions for the following reasons:
     Comments of driveline clunk are almost never the result of one individual component with excessive lash, but rather the result of the added affect of freeplay (or lash) present in all of the driveline components. Because all of the components in the driveline have a certain amount of lash by design, changing driveline components may not result in a satisfactory lash reduction.
     While some owners may find the clunk noise objectionable, this will not adversely affect durability or performance.
    © Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
  • topsail33topsail33 Member Posts: 19
    I have a '00 1500 4wd with the clunk also. I too have been to the dealer. I learned to live with it. They fixed it for about a month. There own TSB's point the finger at shoddy engineering:

"Whenever there are two or more gears interacting with one another, there must be a certain amount of clearance between those gears in order for the gears to operate properly. This clearance or freeplay (also known as lash) can translate into a clunk noise whenever the gear is loaded and unloaded quickly, or whenever the direction of rotation is reversed. The more gears you have in a system, the more freeplay the total system will have."

So in other words, there is too much lash in all of their gears. If the above was a certainty, then EVERY SINGLE vehicle would make this clunk!

Which is why I personally don't believe it's lash, unless they manufactured only Silverados with excessive lash.

The clunk on mine comes from the rear of the truck. I think it's the ring and pinion, but who knows?

"Comments of driveline clunk are almost never the result of one individual component with excessive lash, but rather the result of the added affect of freeplay (or lash) present in all of the driveline components. Because all of the components in the driveline have a certain amount of lash by design, changing driveline components may not result in a satisfactory lash reduction."

Again, the above paragraph points the finger at shoddy engineering tolerances.
  • charleybcharleyb Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know how to re-set the "Service Engine Soon" light on my 1998 Silverado? (I service the truck regularly)
  • mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    SES light means there is trouble in your emissions system. Probably something little, could be a loose gas cap. Truck detects a fuel (vapor) leak, light pops on. SES is not the same as 'Oil Change' Check your owners manual to reset oil change light. I think it is 'turn key on to accessory, press brake pedal several times'. May be different on yours.
  • gfish1883gfish1883 Member Posts: 4
    mbear69 you traded your 99 silverado for a 2004. i have a 2004 silverado ext. cab short bed z71 with the 5.3L and auto trans. Did you notice any power difference between the two, low end or top end power?
  • renonevadarenonevada Member Posts: 69
    Does anyone have a clue as to when the Rado's mug is going to change? I am ready to buy, but I just can't find the attraction with the current face. I'm one of those "or you don't" clientele. Please give me a clue before I jump ship on something else. Tanks in advance.
  • bristol123bristol123 Member Posts: 22
    I believe I saw that the Silverado is slated for a redesign in 2007. That doesn't mean that cosmetic changes won't occur in the time in between.
  • jeffpjeffp Member Posts: 1
    I have a '99 Silverado. At 32k miles, I had to put on new rotors & pads (rear) & resurface front rotors (& new pads). I went with an OEM rotor rather than GM.

At 42k miles, I had to have the rear rotors resurfaced & they are now at minimum thickness. New pads were also needed. Of course, the 1 year warranty on the OEM rotor has expired.

Are others still having brake life problems? I did a search & see some posts from '02 & '03 but nothing came up in this "active" group of posts. Thanks.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    60k and still have original pads and rotors on front and rear with no problems

2000 xcab 5.3 SB
  • hogboyhogboy Member Posts: 84
    Over 48k on my '00 Rado 4x4 Z71 reg cab, 8ft box. Still orig brake pads and rotors. 50/50 mixed driving, stop and go and highway.
  • butchbutch Member Posts: 2
    After about a 50 mile drive, going 60-65 mph, my truck started missing. The "check Oil Pressure" Gage came on. I was entering town and came to a red light where the engine died. I managed to restart and got it off the street. I checked the oil and it looked good--at the required level. The truck would not restart. About 2 hours later, as I waited for a tow truck, I got it to start. I drove to the mechanic and he could not find anything wrong. Said bring it back on Monday and he would check the fuel filter?? The truck presently has 40,000 miles on it.
    At approx. 15,000 miles, something similar happened. It was towed to a dealer and was repaired under warranty. They never gave me copies of the work records, something I failed to notice until several miles down the road.
    Has anyone else had similar problems with oil pressure? Any ideas? I am about ready to trade for a Ford!
  • dubose02dubose02 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 02 Silverado 1500 with 28k miles and have begun to notice oil smoke at startup after driving at 50-70 mph for periods over 10 minutes. Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same problem.
  • needinfoneedinfo Member Posts: 1
    I am seriously considering buying a 2004 extended cab Chevy "work truck" model that is for sale at a very good price. It comes with the 4.8L V8.

IS IT ANY GOOD?? HAS ANYONE ANY EXPERINCE WITH IT??

I know that the 5.3L V8 is a very nice engine. BUT the truck that is for sale has got the 4.8.

Uhhhh, I sorta need to know ASAP as I gotta make the deal or not by tomorrow afternoon.

ANY info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks much!
  • lionslions Member Posts: 20
    yep my 2002 does the same thing clunk. Oh buy the way my dealer says they all do that??????????
  • rayvrayv Member Posts: 1
    In January 2004 my silverado 1500 failed to start after 4 attemps the engine burst into flames. The truck burnned from firewall to the grille. The damage totaled Tthe value at 15000 miles. There was no effort by GM to provide any assistandce. After towing the truck to a dealer they said thier was no detectable reason for the fire. To date July 2004 they still have not honnered the 36 month warranty. Buyer beware turn the key on if you dare. rayv Seattle Wa.
  • truckchicktruckchick Member Posts: 2
    I am doing a college speech on the ford/chevy debate. By the end of it I am suppose to declare the better brand. I have a lot of information over them, but I need some consumer quotes and opinions. If you could, please e-mail me by this Wednesday (the speech is Thursday morning). Hopefully I'll be back to check the posts if that is better. Thnx!
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    There is already a lot of opinions/comments in the Town Hall concerning these two manufacturers. If you wander over to the Pickups board (choose from the drop down to your left), you'll find quite a few comparison discussions. You can also read thru the archived topics.
  • fanofgmfanofgm Member Posts: 12
    Have any of you seen the Ford commercial where they are comparing it to a Silverado with, quote "a Vortec V8" and Fords "5.4 L. Triton V8." Now i have a question, they say Vortec V8, are they using the 4.8 or 5.3 because they are both Vortec's. If it's the 4.8 well then of course the Ford pulls the trailer quicker and the commercial is very misleading. Does anyone know the honest answer and do you know how i could find out?
  • ehardisonehardison Member Posts: 23
    I have a 93 short bed silverado. I am considering spray on bed liners and wanted to see if any of you have had experience with Speedliner spray on bed liner. I am familiar with Rhino but not this one.
  • roberto1roberto1 Member Posts: 1
    I have A 94 C1500 silverado 4.3 V6.It has 210,000 miles no engine work just valve cover gasket replace 2 months ago. Trans. was rebuilt at 140,000 miles.No rearend problems just replace fluid every 50,000 miles Mobil 1, I am going for 300,000 miles.
  • bubbub Member Posts: 2
    Hey,

Spray on is the only way to go. The plastic drop in will only wear the paint away and allow rust.
  • bubbub Member Posts: 2
    15k miles away? Where the heck are you going??
  • cliff1cliff1 Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like you need to have the O'rings on the valves/lifters replaced.
    What happens if after running for a period of time the oil works through the engine as is should but the valves are letting oil passed as they should not and it sets in the cylinder until the next time you start it. At this time it is burned and you see the cloud of smoke on start up. The oil passing the valves is minor so you do not see a lot of oil usage.
  • bucknutbucknut Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2k silverado 5.3 liter. 56k miles. Very hard starting sometimes. In most instances I will have to press the accellerator to get it to go then I smell gas so I am probably not doing my spark plugs any good. It has a new fuel filter and plugs have less than 20k on them. I have ran some fuel injector cleaned through it with little to no improvement. When I do get it to start with out pressing the pedal it spits and sputters. My next step was going to be having the injectors cleaned at a shop. Before I do does any one have any other suggestions?
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    They are very similar engines, both in size and horsepower ratings. Unless you do some heavy towing, the 4.8 liter engine should be adequate. From what I read however, do not expect any better mileage than with the 5.3 liter.
  • jerrymcshane1jerrymcshane1 Member Posts: 195
    When will the existing 1500 series line be replaced? I thought GM said this current line was good for 6 years. So isn't it about time for the all new 1500?
  • bristol123bristol123 Member Posts: 22
    I'm pretty sure the Silverado/Sierra redesign will take place on the 2007 line of trucks. Which means you should probably wait until the 2008 models come out to have a year of working the major bugs out.
  • kcarter3kcarter3 Member Posts: 16
    I have an 03 z71 extended cab and dont like the look of the tires (too short) can anyone reccomend a tire that looks taller than the stock (265 I think)somehting that fills in the wheel well more. if I change will I need to change the computer?
  • kcarter3kcarter3 Member Posts: 16
    In FWD auto mode my 03 z71 skips as if it has engaged into 4 wheel drive around some corners. Is this normal or should I have it checked out. the conditions dont seem to warrant the transition into 4WD.
  • dontshopthewaldontshopthewal Member Posts: 49
    I have a loaded 2000 Silverado LT 2WD with leather, heated seats, etc. and have had no problems with nearly 60,000 miles on the truck.
  • stanwictstanwict Member Posts: 60
    Anyone know when they will start shipping Silverados/Sierras with the factory sunroofs? Broucher says late release. Just wondering how late?
  • jetta2jetta2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 siverado 4.3L 4x2 long bed. Replaced the fuel pump at 36000 miles; the brakes and roters, all 4 at about 45000; the U-joints at about 50000; several sensors in between sometime; the cadalitic converter at about 70000; and then at 78000 miles the engine was knocking so bad that it needed an engine change. A bearing had gone bad and sent metal all through the engine. I drive mostly highway miles and this truck has been one thing after another. I was wondering abou the lemon law.
  • bobber56bobber56 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 chevySilverado 120,000 miles on it

it misses real bad when it is wet or alot of moisture in the air, i have replaced wires, plugs

cap, rotor fuel filter had injectors cleaned, but

none ofthis has helped, runs goodwhen it is warm

or dry , any suggestions
  • 83olds83olds Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Serria 1500 Z71 pick up with the same CLUNKING problem when the transmission shifts from 2 to 3. This problem has been with the vehicle since it was new Both the Dealer and GM claims this as NORMAL and gave me a service bulliten stating as much. Wonder why GM would issue a service bulletin to cover a NORMAL CONDITION? This must be some of their "Professional Grade Engineering!
  • sonoma58sonoma58 Member Posts: 1
    Just got a 2004 LS 1500 with a 4.8L. The dealer only had one key. Ace Hardware told me they can't make a key due to the chip in the GM key. Is there an other source for the key other than GM?
  • 03z7103z71 Member Posts: 1
    Hey - I HAVE AN 03 SILVERADO Z71 AND JUST UPGRADED TO THE TAHOE Z71 17 ALLOYS WITH GOODYEAR WRANGLER AT/S 265/70/17 TIRES. LOOKS AWESOME. TRUCK SHOULD HAVE COME WITH THESE WHEELS&TIRES FROM THE GET GO!

03Z71
  • nathanmnathanm Member Posts: 8
    I have a 98 silverado ext. cab z71 the fuel went out and after a pricey replacement the after market fuel pump hums so loud i can hear it over the tire roar of my 32/12.50s going down the road is this common or should i be concerned?
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    I have an '04 Z-71 with the factory 17's, but I agree with you. I like the Tahoe Z-71's 17's better than the Silverado's even though these 17's are the same as the Tahoe LT (supposedly higher trim than Z-71, if you go by Chevy's web site / pricing).
  • shineshine Member Posts: 20
    I currently have a Ram 2500 4x4 with ave 10mpg. Will the Silverado with the power package increase my MPG dramatically. I mean could I possibly get 15 MPG combined city/highway
    Can't speak for the 2500 Silvy owners, other than to say that many over on another forum I frequent have mentioned anywhere from 12 - 15 mpg out of their trucks when replying to posts asking about mileage.

My 2004 1500 Z-71 EC SB w/5.3l & 3.73 rear averages anywhere from just under 17 to just over 19 mpg average for 80/20 highway/city driving (obeying the speed limit too, though). The worst tank my 1/2 ton has acheived was around 12.5 and involved lots of idling on the dealer lot as they let the jumped battery charge.. The best involved babying the heck out of it and running ~2 mph under speed limits everywhere. And, just for those that like things a bit faster and drive mostly highway- on the one long trip I've taken with the truck since buying it in October, I averaged 5 mph over speed limits (said limits being between 60 and 75 - so I did between 65 and 80) the whole way, through fairly mountainous interstate routes (traveling from western NC to eastern WV through western VA), and I still averaged 17.5 mpg.

Hope this info is useful to you.

Edit: Forgot to mention that about as much of mileage is your driving style as the truck / engine / tranny gearing. I've seen varying reports for 1/2 tons similar to mine, ranging from maybe 3 mpg less on average up to maybe 1.5 more than I get. My own father (lives in WV, and is who I was heading to visit on that long trip mentioned above) travels mostly rural roads through the mountains in his '04, and he has been complaining about his mileage lately. It seems he averages about 1 mpg less than I get in most similar driving conditions. His truck is VERY similar to mine with only minor equipment differences, paint color, and 16" wheels vs. my 17's, but the same drivetrain and body style.
  • carolhcarolh Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2004 Chevy Silverado 1500 and I would like to know if anyone else has had a problem with the dashboard rattling above the steering wheel. I brought it to the dealer and they replaced the dash pad. It stopped for a week and the noise is back.
    Mine rattles just above the vent on the driver's side (maybe IN the vent?). I've been thinking about taking the dash panel apart and using some thin foam weatherstripping tape to see if I can isolate some of the parts from each other better to get rid of it, but so far I've been too lazy. :P
  • nathanmnathanm Member Posts: 8
    i have a 98 z71 on my shift indicator the gears are p r n 0 3 2 1 i only have overdrive when i pull a load should i leave it in 3rd gear or will it be ok in over drive.
    Do you have tow/haul mode available on your '98? I'd personally use that and let the truck decide which gear.

Of course if you don't have tow/haul or don't want to use it, I'd say a lot depends on how big a load you're pulling, what kind of road (grade, mainly) you're pulling it on, etc. If the truck can maintain overdrive without constantly downshifting then upshifting again, go for it. What's really hard on the tranny is the constant hunting when pulling a heavier load. When that has happened to me in the past (usually on steeper grades) I've always manually selected the lower gear until I got to an area where the tow vehicle could maintain the higher gear again. (My last tow vehicle was a 2003 Trailblazer and didn't have tow/haul mode.)
  • silverado93silverado93 Member Posts: 2
    We had to remove the distributor in a 1995 chevy Silverado 1500 pickup. But we forgot to mark the position. Now we can't figure out how to put it in so the engine will run. Can anyone help?
    Where can we find instructions? Diagrams?
    email me at alanjones10@cox.net
  • mutt929mutt929 Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 02 Silverado. The first 2 positions on the AC/Heater switch stopped working but 3 and beyond works well. Has anyone else experienced this? I know I had a Ford once (never again) that had a high side relay for the faster settings on the blower. However, with it the faster settings stopped working. Of course with the Ford the transmission and engine soon followed. I hope this isn't a repeat! Thanks.