Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra 2500 Owners

Comments

• Anyone out there that has lowered there 2500HD 4x4 to the riding height of 1500 series? Details would be appreciated.
  • What in the world would you want to lower a 2500HD for? If you wanted a lower truck why didn't you buy one. The 2500 is built for heavy loads and such..
  • have a 2001 2500HD with a 8.1L engine that likes engine oil

1st 5,000 miles 1 quart, 2nd 5,000 miles 1 and half quarts, 3rd 5,000 miles 2 quarts

have talked to other owners with the same engine, about 1/3 of them have the same problem
    (so not a normal thing for this engine)

one gm mechanic told me they replaced the piston rings on a 8.1L and it fixed the problem

still no answers from gm

really like the truck and would do it all over again, but dont like to worry about my oil level every day

thanks for any input
  • rayt2rayt2 Posts: 1,208
    There was a TSB issued about the PCV on engines using abnormal amounts of oil, you might want to mention to your dealer don't expect GM to replace your rings that's a pipe dream, do you have the infamous cold start knock too? GM says that's normal also but yet their handing out extended engine component warranties like candy now for this issue(as long as you have documented it at dealers)

Ray T.
  • rhornsbyrhornsby Posts: 1
    I see you are questioning Ryan again. Sound like old times doesn't it?
    Now for the good news: I have a 2000 Silverado LS SWB, 2500, 4 door, 4x4. LOVE IT! Thus far at 13,000 miles I have had no problems whatsoever. I changed the engine oil at 1500 miles and went to Amsoil. I haven't experienced any engine knock, and at 5000 I went to Mobil 1 oil, still sounds good. I put DeeZee running boards on the day that I bought it. Keeps sides clean....
    rhornsby
  • Sorry to post this here but the problems discussion group was shut down due to some guys with too much time on their hands.
    I have a 2002 2500HD 4x4 diesel with an Allison tranny. I hear a whining noise when I decelerate. The noise is there all the way down to about 25-30 MPH. I located two service bulletins regarding rear axle noise but it may not be the same problem I an having. www/alldata.com had 2 bulletins (rear axle clunk, bump, squawk noise and 1 for rear axle lubricant recommendations).
    I understand that it is a heavy duty truck with larger/stronger gears but it is loud enough to hear it over the diesel engine (only when decelerating). Thanks in advance for your help. Great discussion board by the way!
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    why change from amsoil to mobil 1? besides the cost?
  • beal1beal1 Posts: 1
    I have a '00 2500 4x4 ext. cab sb Silverado that rides like it has no springs, solid. I feel the paint lines when I cross them. Bought this truck used Nov.'01 with only 5k miles on it. It does every thing I want it to do,Hauling and towing a 32' TT but the ride is much to firm. Does anyone know what is included in the Firm ride pk that came on the truck.I also have a '00 Suburban,4x2,2500 that rides like a dream. I wonder if the shocks for a 2500 Suburban would fit and help the ride. Anyone out there in 2500 land had this trouble.
  • i HAVE A 8.1 AND IT HAS BEEN USING 1 TO 1.25 QTS PER 1000 MILE AND THE DEALER SAYS THATS NORMAL. WELL MY BROTHER WHO'S A MECHANIC TOLD ME THAT IS BULL. I DON'T TOW AND SELDOM CARRY VERY MUCH WEIGHT, ONCE IN A WHILE ILL HAUL MY HARLEY. THE TRUCK IS A 2002, 2500 SERIES WITH AUTOMATIC AND 4:10 GEARS. WHEN I TOOK THE TRUCK TO MY MOMS, (300 MILES) ON VACATION TRAVELING AT 60 - 65 MILE PER HOUR IT USED ONE QT UP AND BACK IN THE 632 MILE TRIP. I TOOK IT TO THE DEALER AND COMPLAINED AND THEY RE TORQUED THE INTAKE BOLTS, WHICH DID NOTHING. THEN THEY ORDER NEW BOLTS AND TOOK THEM OUT ONE BY ONE AND REPLACED THEM AND RE TORQUED THEM AND STILL NO RELIEF IT IS STILL USING 1 - 1.5 QT. PER 1000 MILES. THE TRUCK HAS A LITTLE OVER 23000 MILES AND IT ISN'T GETTING ANY BETTER. ANY ONE HAVE ANY ANSWERS TO MY DELIMIA TO WHAT I SHOULD DO AS THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. ALSO I'VE HAD IT BACK TO THE DEALER AT LEAST 5 TIMES FOR A SQUEALING BELT IN WHICH MY BROTHER SAY'S ITS THE TENSIONSER BUT THE DEALER HAS TOLD ME THERE'S NO PROBLEM TWICE,REPLACED THE BELT TWICE, AND REPLACED THE ALT. BEARINGS THIS LAST TIME AND IT STILL MAKES THE NOISE.
  • i have 2004 2500hd 4x4 and i like many have the allison and 8.1 liter. i did not know it used oil til i got a low light in the first 2000 miles and i called my cousin who is a pm maintainer for chevy and found out that is supposed to be normal. i am in the navy and dont have time for a 40,000 dollar truck to be using oil if i wanted that i would have gotten a 72 chevy. i took it to the local dealer near the base and found out that gm says that is normal by there standards. well that is not by mine. called my dealer to see what is going on and they told me that they can change the head gasket and that should slow it but will not stop the process. so i told them to take the truck back and sell me another one none 8.1 and they will not without me taking a 6000 dollar hit in the pocket book. talked to the senior sales manager for nothern california and awaiting a response. according to the lemon law which i am going to be using to my advantage soon if the dealer does not own up to this 4 times of trying and it is all over for them. i only have 6600 miles on the truck and added oil 3 times. anyone had the same trouble with returning or getting this fixed. i would have never bought the vehicle had i known i had to watch it like an older one. any help is appreciated. i am contacting GM today to see what they can do .
  • nmertznmertz Posts: 27
    Just discovered these forums. Have a '99 Silvarado LS 2500 4X4 LB with the 6.0L. Bought it used w/ 29,500 miles on it. Now have over 146000. This is without a doubt the most reliable truck I've ever owned. Rebuilt the brakes a couple weeks ago...pads/ rotors all around (146K on factory brakes); had leaking rear axle seals. Also found leaking front pinion shaft seal. This is the first time in almost five years it's required anything but routine maintenance.
  • jc_oregonjc_oregon Posts: 2
    Whew...that's good to hear. I've had my 04' Suburban with the 8.1 in to a couple of dealerships due tothe annoying knock on start ups and they have said it is normal....I also just added a quart of oil between my oil changes and have 11k on it.
  • jc_oregonjc_oregon Posts: 2
    I'm going to give the Mobil 1 oil a try...maybe it will reduce the engine knock at start up a bit...I think most of these dealers are jumping on the same side as the manufacturer to avoid fixing the issue
  • Hello all from Kansas City! I am a born and raised Ford guy that has recently purchased a 2002 2500HD crew cab 4wd. I have had it about 2 weeks and I must say apart from gas mileage, you Chevy guys aren't all bad! :)

I noticed a tire might have been a little low so I pulled up to air hose and looked at sidewall before airing and couldn't beleive my eyes when I saw 80lbs. psi max.
    I am running LT265/75R16 E rated REVO tires. I have done some research and am still confused.
    I don't haul too often so I guess 80lbs all the way around is too much, but can't find any 'truth'. Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction.
  • capriracercapriracer Somewhere in the USPosts: 797
    The first thing you need to do is find the vehicle placard. If I remember correctly, GM trucks have the placard on the driver's doorpost.

The placard is going to list the original tire size and the proper inflation pressure for that size. It also lists the rim size.

There are several versions of a 2002 Silverado 2500HD. and the inflation pressures will vary a bit, BUT they all have 6.5" wide rims. An LT265/75R16 requires a minimum of a 7" wide rim, so the tires are too big for the rim. This is probably cause wear problems (center wear).

Hope this helps.
  • I did check the inside door sticker and looks like stock tires were LT245/75R16 and it says 55 front 80 rear. These are chevy rims so I am assuming they are 6" and thus maybe too narrow. Guess I'll see what else is up. Thanks for the reply!!
  • Hey guys,

Just bought a 05 Silverado 4x4 2500 crew cab and comes with the 4:10 gears. I want to change the gears to 3:73. Is this doable? I just bought the Diablo Predator so that I can correct the speedo. Since I have a 4x4, would I need 2 sets of gears?

Thanks for the info!

Karl
  • I own a 2002 Chevy 2500HD (gas) 4 wheel drive model. Took it in last week to local Chevy dealer (43,775 miles) for routine oil change and tire rotation. While they had it on the lift, they discovered one of my right front axles was leaking fluid. I told them to go ahead and fix it (appx. cost $300.00) since it was already there. To make a long story short, when the mechanic went to pull off the snap ring, it was frozen in place. He called the shop foreman over, who had never seen anything like that before, and it took the 2 of them to pull it off. In the process the ring was broken, and the axle sheared (at least I think that's what they said). Of course, they did not have replacement parts on hand, and could not find any locally, so had to order from manufacturer. Now, the price has almost doubled, no additional labor cost, but parts.

My question is, has anyone had this happen to them, or heard of it happening. I'm also wondering - is this a manufacturer's defect? If so, in my opinion, I should not have to pay the full price.

Thanks for any help/feedback on this.
  • I understand that the 2004 2500LD Silverado is a 2003 1500HD by all accounts. The 1500's from what I know were/are 1/2 ton pickups. Is the 2004 2500LD a 3/4 ton truck or not?

If the 2004LD is a 3/4 ton truck then what makes the 2004LD a "light duty" truck versus a 2004HD that by definition is a "heavy duty" truck?

Is the difference in the "springs and shocks" or is there more to it.

I plan to pull a 32ft 5th wheel. Is the 2500LD too light for safe and easy towing?

Not dumb just can't get to specs.

Salazar
  • Been having trouble w/ my 2004 Silverado 2500 HD in the snow. I have a snowplow on the truck and the truck is useless in the snow. It veers to the right and can't get out of my own drive (which is slight hill).Had 1200 lb of salt in bed and couldn't make it up a hill in the snow. Got an 85 S10 never meant to plow and the thing goes thru anything. Anyone experience problems with the Silverado in 4WD? One guy suggested beefier tires- but I find it amzing this heavy duty truck is so bad in the snow as it is delivered from Chvy and you need to go out and get tires...
  • Anyone know where I might get a 2002 C/K shop manual for my 2500 HD either on paper or disc for a decent price?
  • noobie1noobie1 Posts: 326
    Are the tires now on the truck snow tires or all terrain, and in good shape?
    Go over to Chevy Silverado or GMC Sierra Problems/ Solutions and hail user 'geo9'. He's the major plowhead in these parts. If he can't help, he probably knows someone who can.

-David
  • stewart7stewart7 Posts: 1
    I too am having probems with a '04 2500 with Duramax engine. Can't get out of its own way in snow. Can't imagine how anyone could plow snow with it. Bought it new but last weekend was first time we had it in any snow of consequence -12". The truck would not move on a plowed road with hard packed snow. We noticed when we were pushing it that the right front wheel was tuning (at low engine speed) but the left front wheel was not turning. Took it to dealer today and they put it up on hoist, started engine and put it in gear. All 4 wheels turned but you could stop one front wheel with your hand. Reved engine up and mechanic could still hold left front wheel. Apparently this is normal with this type of front axle. I have a hard time believing this but that is what the mechanic told me. Our 4x4s are really 2x3s! Sure glad i was not towing a snomobile trailer last weekend. The truck tows our 10,000 lb. boat just fine, 80 mph all the way to florida, but just dont go on show or ice.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone that has a solution. Perhaps my wife is correct and I just don't know how to drive.
  • geo9geo9 Posts: 739
    GUYS........Thats weird your having traction problems
    with your 2500s.

My last 2 2500s w/plows I have had the stock
    deathstone 245-16 LT all seasons and haven't had many
    major traction issues.
    Both trucks have the limited slip rear so at least I
    have 3 tires spinning at once. If you don't have the
    G-80 limited slip option you only have 1 rear, 1 front
    tire with traction. So much for 4x4 huh????????
    What pressure are you running in the stock LTs ?
    Suggested is 60 front 80 rear..........
    In the winter I drop them to 50 and carry 1500 lbs.
    in the back for ballast because of the plow and for
    traction...........

I have had many different tire types in my plowing
    life. The WORST were the Wrangler WTs with the big
    lug tread. It would get stuck in a mudpuddle !!!!!!
    A set of Wrangler RTS were not too bad and about on
    par with the deathstones................

The guys on the snowplowing threads all have different
    opinions on all brands. But most agree the taller
    thinner M & S tires are the best for all around traction
    no matter what brand..........

Even tho its a 4x4 these big boys aren't the best in
    deep snow or not being careful.........
    My dads s-10 runs thru the snow better than my 2500
    LOL !!!!!!!!!!! :confuse:
  • bkiedrobkiedro Posts: 4
    I have the EXACT same problem. My 2004 2500HD 4X4 Duramax will get stuck in 2 inches of snow... I have 285 BFG KO's on it with the stock rims. I am really looking for a better solution. Looks like M&S tires, but I am not sure if the rims that I have are too wide or too narrow. In deep snow, the front end sinks immediately... Any more help or direction on this would be appreciate!

Brent
  • merv692merv692 Posts: 4
    I have a silverado 2500 hd with a 6.0 The question I have is while towing my 5th wheeler and pushing the tow button what exactly happens. The truck seems to go into overdrive.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Don
  • geo9geo9 Posts: 739
    MERV.....Go to http://www.gmpowertrain.com
    It explains the tow/haul feature operation better than I
    can..............

FYI: My 6.0 2500 tows fine with the tow haul engaged.
    If anything the tow/haul holds it out of OD........

Post this question on the silv./sierra owners hangout
    thread here and you will get a few other 2500 owners
    views and opinions.........................
  • edgar5edgar5 Posts: 1
    99 Chevy Silverado 2500 2WD; the outside edge of both front tires wear prematurely. Tire wear was normal when new, but the last 3 years the problem has gotten progressively worse. We had the alignment checked twice in the last year, but the tires continue to wear on the outside edge first. Could it be something other than the alignment?
    Thank you,

Edgar
  • Recently I towed my travel trailer with my 2002 GMC which has an 8.1, Allison Tranny with no problems towing. Now that I have been driving the vehicle without the trailer, the transmission seems to downshift more often then it did before towing, especially when I slightly accelerate. Any clues what might be causing this annoying downshift?

Appreicate any assistance
  • Does anyone know of the possible entry points for mice into the cab of a 2006 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax? I've caught six already but don't know where they might be coming in.