Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yukon Owners Meet the Members

Comments

• I have a 99 mercedes suv and love the ride and bells and whistles. I drove the toyota and was impressed. I am going to drive Denali as I did drive the Cadilac and was not impressed. I am also wanting to drive the new dodge. why did all of you choose the denali?
  • Hi

We just purchased a 2004 Denali XL after 4 years with an ML430. We needed something bigger to tow a trailer and the Denali seemed a good mix of style and comfort for the price. The ML was a good car but hideously expensive to maintain after the warranty.

Another plus is the kid-calming DVD player :-)

Simon
    Walnut Creek, CA
  • I suggest you drive as many different products as you can and you'll naturally gravitate towards the one that fits you best. Here is a discussion from another thread that I had comparing the Denali to the LX470:

I also went through the exercise of deciding between purchasing a used '00-'01 LX470 or '01-'02 Denali. I wanted a luxury 4wd vehicle that would be used 95% on the road, but be a capable tow vehicle and be able to handle moderate off-road situations. Since I was buying used, I was not as concerned about dealership service experience where the Lexus would be much better. The LX470 has a perceivably higher build quality and is much more refined (smoother idle, superior materials and ergonomics). The LX470 third row seats are a joke except for the small kids vs. Denali third row seats which are slightly larger. Denali is larger in every interior dimension and the seats are some of the most comfortable in the business. The Denali has more "American-specific" features such as cup holders, plethora of power outlets, rear hatch etc...; these may seem silly but it makes a difference when living with the vehicle day to day. The Denali autoride yields far better ride characteristics (smooth ride, great cornering) and it has much better acceleration. This surprised me because the LX470 suspension appears so dynamic and sophisticated; drive both back-to-back and you will know what I mean. Denali returns 17-18 highway MPG on regular unleaded vs. a 14-16 MPG on premium for the LX470. Denali has a higher tow capacity and you see many more GM family tow vehicles than Toyota tow vehicles. I assume LX470 will be more reliable, but my guess is that long term ownership would be more expensive/aggravating since these rare vehicles are probably dealer-only servicable with expensive non-stocked parts. Denali is a low service vehicle with timing chain, 150k mile coolant, quick change headlight bulbs, 100k mile plugs etc...: LX470 has regular service intervals and a 90k timing belt service (big $$$). GMC parts are ubiquitous and knowledgeable mechanics plentiful, so my guess is that repair frequencies may be greater, but the overall price and experience better. AWD system on LX470 with low range is legendary and superior to Denali AWD. Denali high-torque 6.0L v-8 helps make up some of the disadvantage of a single gear transfer case which would only cause problems in off-road situations which noone except the filthy rich would dream of using either of these pricey vehicles.

My '01 Denali has 50k miles and I have all service records which show a repair history of an alternator belt adjustment and a replaced 6-disc CD unit.

In addition, I looked at the Ford Expedition but I don't like the styling, flimsy bumpers, and the older drivetrains were no match to the Vortec 6.0 and AWD. Have not followed it lately, but if they put the new F150 designed drivetrain in the Expedition, then it may be in the same class.

If you do not need the towing capacity or ruggedness, you may be better suited by a Crossover type vehicle.
  • I HAVE CHANGED THE STOCK RADIO IN MY 03 YUKON(SLT) WITH A MOBLIE MEDIA STATION (NICE WORD FOR A RADIO, TV AND DVD PLAYER.) BUT I CANT FIND ANYTHING TO MAKE MY ONSTAR WORK....DOES ANYONE HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM...PLEASE E-MAIL AT ATENEBRUSO1000@YAHOO.COM
  • tbooth2tbooth2 Posts: 33
    Thanks for the info regarding your experiences with this brand and model of vehicle. Seems domestics still cannot get their &^!(# together! I have officially crossed it off my list due to the things I've seen here (I've been there, done that). Thanks for narrowing down my choices to Toyota and Honda.
  • "Thanks for the info regarding your experiences with this brand and model of vehicle. Seems domestics still cannot get their &^!(# together! I have officially crossed it off my list due to the things I've seen here (I've been there, done that). Thanks for narrowing down my choices to Toyota and Honda"

I purchased a Brand new 1996 Toyota 4-Runner. 10K miles, blown head gasket and 2 weeks in the shop. Everyone said it was a fluke until I saw others with the same problem waiting for parts. I purchased a 2003 Yukon, 12K miles and no problems to date. I bought my partner a 2004 Accord EX. After 56 miles it had a cracked valve cover gasket. It got oil all over the exhaust and lots of smoke. We got it out of the shop and didn't make it home. Had to make a u-turn because there was a lot more smoke. My Yukon is still the reining champ. Just my experience though.
  • "Thanks for the info regarding your experiences with this brand and model of vehicle. Seems domestics still cannot get their &^!(# together! I have officially crossed it off my list due to the things I've seen here (I've been there, done that). Thanks for narrowing down my choices to Toyota and Honda"

I purchased a Brand new 1996 Toyota 4-Runner. 10K miles, blown head gasket and 2 weeks in the shop. Everyone said it was a fluke until I saw others with the same problem waiting for parts. I purchased a 2003 Yukon, 12K miles and no problems to date. I bought my partner a 2004 Accord EX. After 56 miles it had a cracked valve cover gasket. It got oil all over the exhaust and lots of smoke. We got it out of the shop and didn't make it home. Had to make a u-turn because there was a lot more smoke. My Yukon is still the reining champ. Just my experience though.
  • The Tahoe/Yukon platform, whose design dates back to the model year 2000, still holds its own against products that are of a much later design. GM really had a homerun with this vehicle as is attested by sales numbers (Tahoe/Yukon/Denali/Escalade) which are strong in the full size suv segment. JD Powers ranked the Yukon as the most reliable full size SUV for 2003 and most of the complaints I see posted attest to this; complaints about exhaust noises, engine idle, suspension sounds do not constitute an unreliable vehicle. This is testament to how awesome new cars have become and how high our expectations have risen, since we now expect a great degree of "refinement" especially when spending over $50k for a vehicle. As for reliability and maintainability, these vehicles have deservedly generated a loyal following who love these vehicles and are repeat buyers. Parts are cheap and plentiful, knowledgable mechanics are easy to find, maintenance schedules are low (no timing belts, high fluid and plug service intervals). tbooth2 I'm sure you will enjoy your non-domestic vehicle, since you will never really know what you're missing.

I have an '01 Denali with 56k miles and all service records. Only problems to date: adjusted belt, new CD player (was skipping), parking brake pad adjustment/replacement. I consistently get 17-18MPG on the interstate and the power/ride are the best in this segment compared to the competition (I have not driven the new Nissan's since these were not available).
  • tdohtdoh Posts: 298
    Just bought one last month and love it; I do have some questions which hopefully someone here can address:

1) On both my '04 DXL and '03 YXL there is a black plastic insert (for lack of a better word/description) behind the inside door panel, apparently to help keep stuff behind the panel from getting wet. Anyways, part of this plastic insert is visible at the bottom of the door panel, as if it wasn't tucked completely hidden. Such is the case on both front doors on both of my vehicles (I didn't bother to check the rear doors); from an aesthetics standpoint, this is a bit tacky--do you find that your doors are the same way?

2) How are some of you people getting 17-18 hwy mpg out of your Denalis, given the larger engine? I'm no leadfoot and yet my YXL won't see 18 hwy mpg on a full tank of gas unless I'm coasting downhill most of the way; and of course my DXL has yet to even average 14 mpg--could this be because my DXL still hasn't been completely broken in yet (it has 720 miles on the odometer)?

3) How can you easily and noticeably test to see if the Autoride is working (besides looking for the message on the DIC indicating a possible Autoride problem)? I'm curious because for the life of me, I can't tell the difference in ride between my non-Autoride YXL and the Autoride-equiped DXL under normal driving conditions...from what I've read from those people who have it, it's almost the best thing in ride quality on full-sized GM SUVs since sliced bread.

Thanks!
  • 97yukon97yukon Posts: 1
    I am purchasing a 1997 Yukon and the switch that turns on the "brights" is malfunctioning. It does not activate the brights unless the switch is turned to the parking lights only position. Any thoughts? Thanks
  • walkerkmwalkerkm Posts: 1
    Puchased a Denali XL in July of 2003. it was the truck of my dreams after haveing two 4Runners and 1 2001 3/4ton Yukon XL. Over the past few month, as you all know, the gas prices have rocketed in MA. Now over $2.25 per gallon! I figured i would buy a more economical vehicle, and yes, made the biggest mistake of my life! I traded my 2003 Denali XL (white) loaded, with Navigation and Moonroof in for a 2004 Honda...yes i said Honda...Pilot. What the heck was i thinking?? Money savings i guess! It was all about the buck, not the Bling! anyway, the new pilot lasted for 11 hours...yes i said 11 hours, before i wanted my sweet Denali back! even my 3 year old daughter disagreed with the Pilot Purchase. she wanted her Denali back! I called the dealership in which i purchased and did the Denali trade. they told me too bad! it's too late! I have never cried so much in my life. I guess you don't know what you have until it's gone! how true. The Denali was the bomb! as my husband said...Now we blend with everyone else, we don't stand out above the rest! It is amazing that the look of a vehicle can take such a hold on you. the Denali's are sweet! Anyway, I ditched the Honda after owning it for 3 days, and purchased a 2004 Yukon with Denail options. It actually cost me more to buy this, than my Denali. Anyway, a word to the wise...1.-never trust a dealership and 2. if you love it and enjoy driving it, but it costs a little more $$$, it is well worth it! I like my new Yukon, but LOVED my Denali.
  • xgamexgame Posts: 1
    I recently purchased an '02 Yukon XL SLT with autoride and 40K miles. Impressed with the ride quality and power. So far, so good, after 2500 miles...I have the 5.3 liter engine. I did not receive the owner's manual; can you tell me what the oil capacity is? I'd like to change the oil in the next few days...thanks....
  • The oil capacity on the 5.3L is 6 qt. and the AC filter is PF59. Enjoy your new Yukon. Dave
  • Anybody have any experience with 22 inch wheels on their Denali in the snow? My wife's BMW X5 has 19's and it was fine in light snow. I'm wondering how the Denali would do with 22's in light to medium snow?
  • Just got a 2001 Yukon XL with 36k mi. The low coolant light came on about 2 weeks after I got it home. I took it in twice. 1st time, no external leak found and new radiator cap, no help. 2nd time, compression test, nothing wrong. I am still burning through coolant. Has anybody else experienced this?

Also, the vehicle looks to have some rust or corrosion issues. Since it didn't have the owners manual, what is the warranty on corrosion, is there one?

Thanks..
  • vaporvapor Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Yukon (bought new) that has developed a "clunk" somewhere in the drive line. It happens when I stop and then start moving again. It doesn't always happen - maybe a third of the time. Dealer says it's "normal" but I don't buy that. Anybody else had this experience?
  • ryan94ryan94 Posts: 6
    I recently changed the oil and filter on my new 2005 Yukon XL. I changed it with 5,509 miles on the odometer even though the message center stated I had 18% oil life left. I am not comfortable running that long between oil changes. The old oil was PITCH BLACK. IS THIS NORMAL? When I change the oil on my other vehicles every 5k miles (each have over 100k miles on them), the oil is almost as clear as when I put it in. Does it have to do something with it being the 1st oil change?

Gas Mileage: I had seen some numbers posted so I thought I would share. My 2wd Yukon XL SLT (5.3) has averaged 19.6 mpg on the highway. I have made 2 seperate trips from Houston to central Missouri and back (about 1,000 miles one way). Had a pretty strong head wind one time and got 19.4 mpg. Each trip we were loaded up with kids, a dog and stuff (thank goodness for the DVD player). Get about 16 mpg in the city. More than I was expecting.
  • I have a 2005 Yukon SLT-Auto Ride. I have 3500 on mine and I always change my oil every 3K on all my Honda but according the computer, I am 40 percent. But from reading your post, I might change my oil at 5K and see what happen. I am only getting 16MPG according to computer average. But I have 20" rims and I replaced the filter with K&N. :)
  • naumdoggnaumdogg Posts: 1
    Hello everyone, I just came over from the cadillac forums. Today I traded my 2000 escalade in for a 2001 Denali, and I am excited to be here.
  • slapholioslapholio Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2005 Yukon XL SLT, what a sweet ride! Anyway I have always changed the oil in my new vehicles as soon as I get them. I use Mobile 1 and the factory filter. I have always had good luck with synthetic oil, transmission fluid and differential fluid. I change my oil every 3,000 miles, re-gaurdless of what the manual recommends. Off the subject, I am on my third Toyota truck, a 2004 Tacoma and have owned Volvos for the wife. Upon getting my Yukon home, I went through every inch that I could see, in and out, and I am highly impressed with the build quality, and the paint is flawless! I would put on par with Toyota and Volvo. For my first domestic auto I couldn't be happier! On the new engine, am averaging 17 mpg combined city and highway (premiuim fuel.)