Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Yukon Owners Meet the Members

2»

Comments

• Options
    ohiomav1ohiomav1 Member Posts: 3
    Please excuse the cross posting...I'm really concerned!!

My 04 Yukon XL (which I really like) is behaving badly... When I take my foot off the gas pedal to press the brake it suddenly just revvs up like someone has slammed the gas to the floor. It's happened a few times - almost got me into a couple of accidents (had to stand on the brakes to stop!!) - and when I took it to the dealer they hooked it up to their computer and said that it showed nothing wrong. "No code problems..."

My wife won't ride in it anymore... Is this happening to anyone else??
  • Options
    n0madn0mad Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Denali with 75K. I installed a K&N intake and Gibson cat-back exhaust. My gas mileage hasn't improved and I gained, IMO, about 5 rwhp. Not much to speak of with 200rwhp(est) pushing over 2 tons. However, the engine sounds louder at W.O.T. due to the intake, and the exhaust is only several decibles louder than stock but with a better tone. I'm disappointed in the Gibson and will be switching to a louder system when the headers are installed. I just starting researching brakes because the minimal upgrades I've done help as much as the other "mods". I have carbon fiber pads and slotted/drilled rotors, and while it's a slight improvement, they too QUICKLY fade and feel insufficient to stop the truck after 5K of wear. At this point I'm leaning toward dual piston brakes (need bigger rims for this). Good Luck!
  • Options
    n0madn0mad Member Posts: 2
    I've not heard of the engine increasing revs after lifting off the gas, just maintaining (sticking throttle) that current rpm it was at. The only suggestion I have is for safety....put the truck in Nuetral when it happens so you are not fighting against the engine during braking. Good luck and sell it fast!
  • Options
    erind1erind1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi this is Erik in Boston.Read your message.I have a 97 YUKON :same problem.Im burning antifreze a gallon a week. No leaks, only smell.Went to the mechanic who owns a 99 Tahoe. Told me i need new waterpump and a bypasshose from watterpump to the heatercore.I dont belive him.If u think something better please let me know. thank u .
  • Options
    nayericnayeric Member Posts: 4
    I purchased Oct 2005 and I love it. I'm enjoying the smooth ride since I'm use to driving a 2002 GS 300 Lexus. Love the space, navigation system, entertainment package and color (red).
    I just have to remember when I get in car that my windshield wiper is not my gear shift. LOL :)

Renee in DC
  • Options
    tireguytireguy Member Posts: 200
    Sounds like you and vapor know a thing or two about GM differentials. Maybe you can answer some questions I have: I have an 04 YXL 4x4 with the electronic locking differential. I live in NC and rarely have a use for it, but I do travel to PA quite often (thus the need for 4wd). I'm actually in PA right now, and last night I saw a patch of black ice (not something you see often in coastal NC). So in order to test out this "locking differential," I gunned it just as the right rear tire rolled up on it (with the left rear on dry pavement). Of course, the wheel spun wildly as I lost forward momentum--like an open diff. What causes this thing to engage? Obviously there's no switch, and it's not spring actuated like a Detroit Locker. I'd be hesitant to take it off road (as I often do with my air-locked Wrangler) without knowing how it works.
    PS: I'm coming up on 18K miles and I've had nothing but good times with my GMC. I purposely bought a Janesville, Wisconsin-built truck, even though the Mexican-built SLTs on the lot had the one option I wish I had: heated memory seats. But I have actually managed to survive, manually repositioning the seat after my wife drives it and warming the leather with my butt. And I've had no clunks, no rattles, no lining sticking out of the door, or any other annoying results of careless assembly. You can't put a price on American craftsmanship.
  • Options
    cdsmittycdsmitty Member Posts: 2
    Not sure if I had responded to an e-mail from you on this....I ended up having a cracked head. I had it replaced and all is well. Luckily I had an extended warranty ($1800 repair). They found the problem by conducting a compression test. Hope this might help.
  • Options
    lrita620lrita620 Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 XL recently started a grinding noise when I turn off the engine, comes from the front dash area. I also hear the grinding noise when driving. Took it to the dealer, they said nothing was wrong. I really don't believe them.

Has anyone else had any problems with the Southern Comfort package on their XL. We have alot of clattering noises from the additions...would not recommend getting the Southern Comfort package.
  • Options
    bradshanbradshan Member Posts: 1
    Hi; I'm a new member with a 2001 Yukon, bought it new, and has diven it all around the country. I love it. I have 150,000 miles. Probably 30,000 miles ago I got a wobble in the front end, alignment is good, ball joints are good, wheels are fine, u-joints changed, still getting wobble. Think it may be in transfer case-HELP!!!!
  • Options
    cmobleycmobley Member Posts: 1
    although I am just a mechanics wife... my 1995 yukon has a similar problem. We have been told its an electrical problem... a wire referred to as the RPM pickup. Although I cant tell u where to find it, we have been told that the wire often goes out in Yukon's and is affordable to fix. maybe contact your local dealership and pick their brain on the location and cost of the part.
  • Options
    stranded3stranded3 Member Posts: 3
    Have a 2002 Yukon XL. Recently the dashboard electronics have been acting up. While driving, the "traction off", "ABS" and "AirBag" lights stay on. The fuel and temperature gauges do not work. The information center rotates through Security, Battery, and Low Fuel. The oil gauge and volt gauge do work. When not in use and engine stopped, the Security light stays on. Any ideas? Thanks.
  • Options
    jboaterjboater Member Posts: 199
    I just replaced the battery in my '02 D. It was 4 years old. In addition to indication of poor engine starting power, I was having strange electronics happenings like the cd changer in a search pattern after engine startup, clock not keeping correct time, etc. No problems since new battery install. Oh yes, the old battery did fail a load test.
  • Options
    pyronh1pyronh1 Member Posts: 6
    hello my name is vin and this is our 2nd new yukon denali XL was wondering abuot the seatbelt chime if it could be disconnected i am a big guy and cant seem to get comfortable in the seatblet just found this and i think this is great cant wait to share som thoughts on the denali
  • Options
    stranded3stranded3 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your reply. The battery was the first thing I tried also. Even though it did not fail the load test, I replaced it anyway hoping it was the problem. Not as fortunate as you were.
  • Options
    topocorvettetopocorvette Member Posts: 1
    HI!!! I own a 1995 GMC Yukon 6.5 TD 4 WD. Since I´ve purchased it, i have problems to engage the low 4WD traction. I would like to know how can I engage it and disengage it without hearing weird noises in my transmition. Thanks a lot!
  • Options
    angicraneangicrane Member Posts: 1
    Please help, checked all the wiring, replaced bulbs, etc. can't figure it out. Flashers work, Brake lights work, still no tail lights. Any ideas?
  • Options
    darryl08darryl08 Member Posts: 1
    i recently bought a 2003 yukon and i love it. but ive had a couple problems with it. i bought it used 50k km on it and three months after i bought it the fuel pump went. the dealer i bought it from had told me that it had had a gm optimum inspection and when i had to replace it i just shrugged it off and swallowed the tab myself. but now its been 5 months and a rattle just started to come when i accelerate but only when the ac is on. i think it may be a bad bearing in the ac pump or maybe the pump is going. it still rattles a little when i turned the ac off and the heat up so maybe its a pully or belt. i know a little bit but not alot about this sort of thing. if anyone has gon through this or has any insites to how the fan/heater/ac system works and can provide some insight or what it would cost to fix an ac pump please let me know. and i think i should go give the dealer a piece of my mind
  • Options
    gapjs40gapjs40 Member Posts: 6
    Well, that's one problem we haven't had. I better knock on wood because we bought a 02 XL used last year and have put 2000+ into it. We have the piston slap problem and it uses a quart of oil in 1,000 miles, replace the camshaft sensor, crankshaft sensor, oil pump and put on new brake pads. There were a couple of other things too that I can't recall right now. I love the car, my husband hates it. We can't depend on it to take it on a trip because of the problems that keep popping up. Needless to say, GMC will do nothing and admit nothing. Most of the info we have gotten has been on the internet. You need to find a good mechanic you can trust who is familiar with this car otherwise you'll be sent around in circles and throw money after new parts as they try to fix it without even knowing what is wrong. The AC should be fairly easy for a good AC repair shop.

Hope you find an answer to your problem.
  • Options
    njvikenjvike Member Posts: 56
    After seeing these messages I hope I made the right decision on the '06 Yukon Denali. The looks of the Denali have always appealed to me with the exception of the rear because it's shared by the other GM SUVs like the Tahoe and Suburban. I would have preferred to have a unique look like the front and side, to some degree, have.

I love the ride and the looks with those '20 Chrome wheels are nice. The interior is superior over what I have in my '03 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer. I still smirk over the brochure of "Butter Rich Leather seating; they couldn't be more wrong. It's more like plastic everywhere.

I hope this vehicle is trouble-free and lasts a long time. They are very expensive.

Did anyone purchase an extended warranty?
  • Options
    pyronh1pyronh1 Member Posts: 6
    hi iam working on my 3d one and just got a 2006 my self i love them the 2003 i had the last time went 82000 miles with no problems but we did get the extended warnty just before the original one ran out thru gmc and got a rebate when we traded it in we will do it again with this kind of truck there is nothing that's cheap so it's always good to have that protection we did have to replace tires on the 2003 but nothing else we are a fireworks family and travel all over new england towing a trailer then there is the snowmobile trailer and going up north to maine cant say enough about this truck and nothing bad at least

pyronh1
  • Options
    njvikenjvike Member Posts: 56
    Sorry but I meant cheap seats on the Expedition. Not the Denali. Took it to Disney World in Orlando FL from NJ. Great ride and not too bad on mileage. Averaged 17 @65
  • Options
    rupnok1rupnok1 Member Posts: 29
    eventually put a flowmaster cat back system in and sounds much better. I threw new rotors and semimetallic pads on and that helped a little, but you're right about needing more pistons in the calipers. can't believe the way these overwight beasts are so underbraked...
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national news magazine is looking to interview consumers who have recently (within the past three months) purchased a large SUV and would like to talk about your decision to purchase that car. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, November 8, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 EST containing your daytime contact information.
  • Options
    jnanasijnanasi Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2001 XL with the 5.3L V8. Does anyone know if there is an electric water pump available for this engine?
  • Options
    leasingleasing Member Posts: 1
    Noticed about a few months ago that my 05 Denali's dashboard (background lights) dims in and out really un-noticable if you don't pay attention. Needless to say i can even see it in the headlights when i look out in front of me at night. Well initially i thought it was the battery so i looked under the hood and found a loose battery cable. Thought my problems were solved but oh no cause this Saturday traveling to Hartford, Ct the whole dash including the Navi... cut out for a brief second and all the warning lights came on. They stayed on for a brief second and then off they went all except the battery light. The car kept running though, and the light cut off when i got to my destination (i got home ok as well) This morning went to the store and when i came back out it was totally dead but then i fiddled with the battery cable (it wasn't loose this time) but a few seconds after it started; so now i'm thinking a few things either its the altenator, a starter problem or ????????? (THis is where the reader comes in.....)
  • Options
    brewboybrewboy Member Posts: 36
    I have a 2004 Denali, 68,000km, Navigation, OEM DVD, recently I locked the truck using the key remote and when I returned to the truck I noticed the Nav screen and all dash lights blinking. I unlocked the doors using the remote, got inside and heard a very loud clicking like a turn signal flasher coming from under the dash on the passenger side. After I started the vehicle it stopped and has never happened again. Anyone else see this before?
  • Options
    brewboybrewboy Member Posts: 36
    I have a 2004 Denali, can anyone tell me how to shut off the headlights while the vehicle is running and in park?
  • Options
    metrodcdoulametrodcdoula Member Posts: 1
    A family member has given me the option to buy from them an '02 Yukon with 137K miles for $6K. It has never had a problem except for the AC, which is fixed now.
    Would you buy it?
    How long can I expect this thing to last?
  • Options
    rshtrsht Member Posts: 277
    Just my personal opinion, NO.
    Reason #1, I would never buy from a family member or friends.
    Reason #2, the mileage is quite high, regardless of its model year, I would expect some kind of major maintenance is just around the corner.

Just my 2 cents...
  • Options
    kherkher Member Posts: 1
    does anybody know if the exhaust or drive line need any modifications?Thanks
  • Options
    artsrt10artsrt10 Member Posts: 13
    Hello guys! I am considering switching from my FX-35 to a larger vehicle as my wife is due to give birth to our second child in Jan. We are considering the MDX, Escalade, Yukon SLT2, Denali, QX56 and Audi Q7. My favorite is prob Escalade followed by Denali. I am concerned however about reliability of vehicles and gas mileage. If diff between Denail/'clade and MDX is liek avg 15 mpg v 18mpg then i dont care. But if its liek 10-12mpg vs 18 then its harder for me to justify the extra expense of truck and gas. Any thoughts? Also any idea of diff in performance and fuel economy between SLT2 and Denali? Thanks for any advice!!!
  • Options
    beach026beach026 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know how to recalibrate the compass and mirror on the interior review mirror?

We took a trip and the temp was extremely cold... the temp flashed and has displayed " 0C " since we've returned.

I've found something about driving in circles. Does this work and if so is there any trick to doing it?
  • Options
    LOL, yes, driving in a circle at less than 5mph until the display reads a direction is a part of the required calibration. Please steps below:
    1. Identify which of the 15 zone numbers covers your current location (See your Owner's Manual).
    2. Press and hold the on/off button on your mirror until a Z or a zone number displays.
    3. keep pressing the on/off button until your zone number displays, then let go the on/off button and wait for ~5 seconds for the zone to be locked in.

To calibrate, the "CAL" must be displayed on your mirror's compass display. To enter the CAL mode, press and hold the on/off button for about 12 seconds or until the "CAL" is displayed. This is when you start driving in a circle at less than 5mph or until the display reads a direction (i.e. N, NE, S, SE...), this may require you driving 2 or 3 rounds... keep it slow. Good Luck!
  • Options
    Any suggestions on the temperature portion of the mirror display? This will now only display 0C. Thanks once again!
  • Options
    I was hoping once its calibrated, the temperature reading will work normally... at least that's how mine worked. I don't know what else may be causing the 0C reading, Sorry! Have you tried to unplug the power plug behind the mirror, perhaps that can reset it or something; just a thought...
  • Options
    I have tried unplugging the mirror. The compass is working perfectly but the temp still displays 0C. I'll probably have to take it in to the dealer to find out if it's wiring in the mirror or if its some type of temp sensor installed somewhere else on the the truck. Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    joplinjoplin Member Posts: 1
    Turn the engine off. Push the emergency brake pedal on. Turn the engine back on. The headlights will not come on again until you release the emergency brake.
This discussion has been closed.