Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Liberty: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• kdeucekdeuce Member Posts: 4
    Got my Liberty 3 weeks ago, and just yesterday I
    noticed the passenger side floor (front and back)
    completely soaked. I saw previous posts regarding this problem, but I was wondering if anyone got a
    "fix" for this problem from their service dept. Thanks for any help.
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    Im glad to see jeep gave u a new vehicle, something honda would not do for me with 1k on my 2001 civic that was a lemon and engin went out. Anyway to have problems like that with 2 different vehicles seems to show a reliabilty problem that probably will be taken care of like the first escapes that had 6 recalls. I waited 7 months out to get an escape and only have minor problems. Im watching this board as i like the look and feel of the liberty. Good Luck.
  • winbrowinbro Member Posts: 235
    maybe someone can advise me on this as to what it might be - just started yesterday.

when braking from 45 to zero to stop at an intersection or stop light, when It gets around 10mph or less, there is a jolt (like a jerking) from the rear end as I continue to slow to a stop.

I am in 2wd

something that just needs an adjustment?
  • vin_weaselvin_weasel Member Posts: 237
    Take to a dealership and get one of the managers/techs to ride with you and recreate the problem. It could be something with the rear suspension, brakes, etc. I'd get it checked out.
  • wedgeguywedgeguy Member Posts: 20
    Mine does exactly the same thing. Do you have the locking diff? I thought it might have something to do with that, or maybe one of the rear brake shoes grabbing and then letting go. I was going to ask the dealer about it, too, so let us know what you find.
    yes, I have the limited slip differential.

some on the yahoo liberty chat room have also said they had this. feels almost like it slips in that last 10 mph in stopping and that an adjustment would fix it.

I want to take it on sat morning
  • yippyiayippyia Member Posts: 10
    I have the bump happening - have locking diffs - let us know what it is when you find out! But aside from that, has anyone noticed this really strange resononance inside the car when you open one or two of the windows all of the way? The whole inside of the car starts shaking and feels like your ears are going to explode. It seems like a very specific design flaw, I am very interested if enyone has noticed it.
  • justintxjustintx Member Posts: 21
    I test drove a Liberty this past weekend. I had the a/c cranked the whole time and at the end of the drive I popped the hood. I noticed there is some piping that runs along the passengers side of the engine compartment that must be part of the a/c because it was cold and had lots of condensation. The concern here is the fact that this piping runs along the top and the water was collecting and dripping off on to some wiring assemblies below. Has anyone noticed this positioning?? Any opinions on potential electrical problems? or are wiring assemblies pretty well sealed these days?
    Thanks
  • iggycatiggycat Member Posts: 25
    The strange pulsating noise happens in a lot of cars and SUV's. It's related to the air pressure difference between the inside and outside as air flows past the vehicle.

Your question on this topic is addressed starting in posts 5 and 6. You might want to go back and read some of the posts around there for more info. Click on the link to the beginning of the discussion above the first post on this page.
    ok, I paid more attention to it yesterday trying to put the liberty through different scenarios.

1) the jerking happened in both 2wd & 4wd FT

2) it happens as I de-celerate and pass the 20mph point on the speedometer (suggests downshift from 3 to 2).

3) the jerking varies in intensity with the speed in which I slow down - faster braking more of a jerk, slower less of. also seems like it's more noticiable as I brake, pass 20mpg & turn L or R

4) feels like it's from the middle of the vehicle's rear not from either of the sides.

gonna try to go on sat to have a technician ride with me to check out.
    Hmmm - very interesting. Thanks for pointing to the earlier mention of this. I have had this phenomena in other cars but never as bad as it is in my Liberty or as easy to trigger (it happens with ANY window open). The VW owner points out that VW was aware of this as a design flaw and had made an effort to lessen it with a preset on the sunroof. If jeep/chrysler did not find this flaw (I would say not being able to drive with the rear windows open is a significant flaw) in their testing shame on them - it is extremely obvious and discomforting. If they did know about it why didn't they make an effort to fix it with rear vents to lessen the problem.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    When you have this harmonic/noise condition with the rear windows down, does it help to have a front window open (or at least cracked)? Or does that not matter?
  • basepro09basepro09 Member Posts: 91
    all you need to do is crack open your front windows. At least that's what I found worked when I drove it. Good luck.

Matt
  • bj02176bj02176 Member Posts: 115
    Crank either front window an inch or two and the noise is gone. Try a tribute and get constant wind noise with all the windows closed.
  • bagldotbagldot Member Posts: 9
    Posted this on the Liberty board as well:
    I seem to have an intermittant problem with my headlights on my Sport and wondered if anyone has the same. On some occasions when I try to turn the headlights off it goes from Headlights - to Parking Lights - then they are supposed to shut off, but when I put the switch in the off position they turn back on. I have to put the switch to parking lights again then back to the off position and it will work. This only happens every now and then, and of course when I go to show someone, it never happens. I have to go back to the dealer soon to pick up my plates (tags) and plan to talk to them about it. In the meantime, am I the only one that has seen this?
    opening the front windows only helps if you roll them down about 6 inches (and by the way you usually have to open BOTH front windows), hardly a consolation if you don't want your window open at all. But it is very entertaining rolling down the highway while you work all four window controls frantically trying to find that perfect combination before your eardrums blow out.
  • bj02176bj02176 Member Posts: 115
    Wrong one front window 1 to 2 iniches, not both. Works for me on the Sport, not that I ever want to keep the back windows down.
  • geneseedepotgeneseedepot Member Posts: 30
    Have you tried waiting to see if they turn off automatically after a few minutes? There's some discussion on the JeepsUnlimited.com forum about a headlight feature that leaves the lights on for a few minutes if you turn the headlights off AFTER the ignition has been turned off.
    Liberty Forum - "Undocumented Feature?"
  • justintxjustintx Member Posts: 21
    My 98 Cherokee will leave the lights on for a bit if I turn off the engine before I turn off the headlight switch.
    looking in the owners manual page 159 - "torque converter clutch" kind of describes IMO what might be happening. although something might be faulty in mine to cause the jerking.

I ran around town today a bit and I would say I get some kind of jerking (varies in intensity) about 70-80% of the time. there were times when I got no jerking. going in next sat to check it out.
  • tony4064tony4064 Member Posts: 3
    Got my LIBERTY ALMOST TWO MONTHS SO FAR GREAT DO ALMOST TWO HUNDERD MILES A DAY,GAS MILAGE IS NOT TO BAD.THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THE BACK SEAT LATCH IS BROKEN. BRING IT IN FOR SERVICE SAT.ALSO NOTICE WHEN COMMING TO A STOP THERE IS A SLIGHT JERK AROUND 5 MILES GOING INTO TNE STOP,WILL HAVE IT CHECK OUT. Like any feed back from any new liberty owners.
  • brianbloombrianbloom Member Posts: 2
    Winbro, the symtom you mention in post #61 sounds very much like what my 94 Cherokee does:
    I have the automatic transmission in it, and when I'm braking, *especially* when I'm in a lower gear ("3" or "2"), the moment the Jeep drops below the 20 mph threshold, it downshifts into first, which is a dramatic ratio change, making everything in the car lurch forward. Passengers usually look at me to see if I did something screwy ;)

Anyway, sound like your prob at all? It may be that they are just using a similar transmission in the Liberty...
  • kdeucekdeuce Member Posts: 4
    I have my Liberty sport for 4 weeks now, and last week discovered that the floor on the passenger side was soaking wet. Front and back. I took it in to the dealer for service, but they could not find any problem. The service manager said they ran the air conditioner for a while, and also ran a hose on it, but the problem did not re-occur. I did not imagine this, and it wasn't just damp, the entire carpet was soaked. Has anyone else had this problem, and did you find a reason for it. Mostly I love the vehicle, but this is making me nuts! Please help!!!
  • omega1203omega1203 Member Posts: 2
    I used to work at Chrysler Jeep, when it was Chrysler Jeep and Eagle. I've seen my share of problems with all their products, but Jeep is made a little bit better than Chryslers. I'm thinking of buying a Liberty. All cars have problems, there's no escaping it, they are imperfect machines, made by imperfect beings. But anyway, they seem like very nice vehicles. I know for a fact that Jeep service is excelent, at least here in Florida! So I have no worries.
  • omega1203omega1203 Member Posts: 2
    Your evaporator casing is clogged. This Is normaly seen in older cars, but it's a posiblity that something became lodged in the drain. The water will show up on the pasenger side floor, right by where your feet would be. Bring it back and tell them to check the evaporator case drain.
  • jbrothersenjbrothersen Member Posts: 5
    I have a Liberty with 3000 miles on it and after going wheelin a couple of weeks ago I noticed an annoying noise coming from what I thought was the rear window. After a lot of investigating I found the clips holding the plastic quarter panel trim around the rear side windows had popped out in a couple of places. I popped em back in and no more noise! No other problems besides a pull to the right that an alignment fixed. Just a little info in case someone else runs into this problem.
  • zip10zip10 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix that had the same problem. The evaporator case had separated.

Also, as a Public Notice. I was told by the dealer that sold me a liberty limited that both GM and Daimler/Chrysler grant 1 free alignment within the first 7500 miles of your new vehicle.
    The reason they do this, is because of how tight vehicles have to be strapped down to the delivery trailer. Guess they just don't advertise this.
    well I took the liberty in today for the jerk problem in the transmission. (jerk happens as I slow down going around 20mph). the technician felt it and noted it. he checked the computer and there are no updates from DC as yet on this. I scheduled an oil change for early october and will keep an eye on the jerk problem until then.

2 things:

a friend from another forum told me to try pushing the overdrive button to OFF and see if the jerk happens. I did this and it did NOT do the jerk. so I rode around in o/d off for awhile, then went back to o/d on. it jerked, but not as bad and not as often. today on the test drive with the technician is too was not as bad but
    still noticable to him. so at least it is documented as the first occurance that I complained about it.

also, I asked if anyone was complaining about pulling to the right. He said 1 customer brought their liberty in complaining of this. instead of rotating the tires like the TSB says, he just swapped the 2 front tires and that seemed to help that customer.

no customers in for water on the rug as yet.

will keep all posted on the tranny issue.

those with a similar problem, try the o/d off test. I'd be interested to see if you have the same experience with the jerk NOT happening.
  • elmoblatch1elmoblatch1 Member Posts: 134
    There is a poster on the main Liberty board named Colorado1974 that seems to be fairly well versed on the Liberty. I asked if he/she was a dealer but they have not posted in a while.

I have a 2003 Liberty Sport 4WD with about a 1000 miles on it. No brake problems so far.
  • dzanone1dzanone1 Member Posts: 8
    Just bought my Jeep liberty sport. It pulled to the right immediately, got it with only two miles on it. Took it to the dealer and he aligned it. No problems now at 1k. knock on wood have had no problems with windows, sunroof, helicopters(but I have AC why would I need my back windows down?) or inside leaking. Other than this think it is great. Always a lemon somewhere. dr.z
  • dccheungdccheung Member Posts: 4
    Just bought my new Jeep Liberty LTD (fully loaded. :P) However when my car stops (as in waiting on a red light) my headrest shakes considerably--which is quite unpleasant when I'm resting my head during traffic light. This happens on the second day I bought the car. I didn't recall that happening before.... anyone has this problem?
  • lennii51lennii51 Member Posts: 1
    Any one having a problem with the fog lamp switch. Sometimes when I turn them on without the highbeems on, there is a delay or they might not come one at all. Other times I have to keep turning them on and off a few times.
    funny you should mention the fog lamps. mine were working fine until today. I went to use them and nothing. they did not come on. I am guessing it is a fuse type issue, because when they did work, there was a clicking sound as the switch was engaged. today, no such sound.

also the fog lights ONLY work with parking lights & low beams. they will not work with the high beams.

so I will add this to my list for my 10/8 oil change visit along with the transmission jerk update.
    well I tried the fog lamps again today and I found if I jiggle the stalk a little the lights come on. I'm relieved mostly, but fear the fix may be worse than just putting up with it?????

but I will definitely report it in 2 weeks.

still have the jerk in the tranny. this DOES NOT happen when I take the overdrive OFF, so it has to be something with the overdrive?????

will keep the board updated.
  • mad0865mad0865 Member Posts: 176
    Generally, overdrive is useful for fuel economy on highways, etc. but not beneficial for city driving. Our Taurus has a switch for o/d, and I find myself switching it off when driving on roads with a lot of stop and go type traffic. Unfortunately, I've yet to experience that type of "jerky" response that you seem to be getting. Take it in and have them look at it, might be nothing, might be something serious.

-mad
  • libertyowner2libertyowner2 Member Posts: 3
    I bought my Liberty 3 months ago. I have about 4000 miles on it. I noticed after about 2000 miles that there was this vibration in the wheel. It got worse. The wheel would actually start vibrating and shimmying violently at speeds over 60. I couldn't hold on to the wheel without it vibrating my arms very badly. So, I told my husband about it. He drove it and didn't find anything wrong with it. It was not happening every time. So, I had him ride with me one day and he saw how bad it got. He was worried and we took it to a National Tire and Battery place, they checked the wheels and said its not the wheels. So, we took it to Jeep. They felt the vibration. They replaced the rotors and brake pads because they were not working together and they both had deep grooves in them. It was better for two days. Then I still felt the vibration, but not as bad, but still very much worrisome. So, took it back to Jeep, they still felt the vibration, but just balanced the tires. The vibration is still there. Sometimes its mild, sometimes it vibrates and shimmies very badly. I'm not sure what to do. This will be the third time I take it back to the dealership. I'm scared to drive it. Plus, one of my belts makes loud chirping noises for the first hour or so after I start it. They were supposed to fix that, but they didn't fix it either. My AC was giving off a really bad smell, they did fix that. What do I do? Any ideas? Now, I have noticed that I get a very mild vibration at lower speeds, but it gets worse as you go faster.
  • beatfarmerbeatfarmer Member Posts: 244
    the dreaded Jeep Death Wobble?
  • mellismellis Member Posts: 150
    I hate to say this but I had the same problem. Very bad vibration at 55MPH until 65, then again at 70. Took it to the dealer and they had it for a week. Worked with Jeep and they could not find an answer. The bottom line was that since I had not registered the Liberty Jeep took it back and I picked out another one. This one is perfect.

With 3,000 miles you would have to go lemon law. :(
  • webguysterwebguyster Member Posts: 434
    DONT buy black. It is normal, especially wih the softer, lead free paints to get scratched and show every blemish. Go with white or silver. I made my biggest mistake buying my 00 Solara SE V6,black, and am considering Liberty, again, but with my bad DC experience in the past I am waiting a bit. My 97 Dodge Avenger, was the WORST car I have evr owned, and the 5 Star Dealers in my area, get 5 Stars from me for bad service, poorly maintained garages, and bad supply of spare parts. Toyota in my srea stocks everything, even the Premium Rims.
    Hmm I noticed a mild vibration at freeway speeds & assumed it was tire balancing, was planning on having it looked into at my 3,000 mile oil change. Please keep us all posted. Your experience sounds pretty awful, I would think Jeep would be interested in giving you a new Liberty rather than facing the bad publicity of a Lemon Law suit - particulary when it involves their new "flagship" model.
  • wildtenwildten Member Posts: 4
    I bought the Liberty Limited on August 08, 2001. After about three weeks later, the first problem was when I turn on the a/c, it smelled like mildew and the vent blew warm air when the a/c was off while the car was driven. The technician fixed the problems. He told me that the drainage was too small to hold the a/c water then he adjusted it. That's what the problems were. He thought he fixed the problems which I thought so. The problems were not fixed. Another problem was when I turned the steering wheel all the way to right when I back up the car, I heard the humming noise from the front. The technician told me that it was the front tire hitting the front shield. He adjusted it. The problem was fixed.

Another problem was the regulator of the power window on both driver and passenger side. When the window was rolled down and rolled up and down again, it made clicking noise. He adjusted it but it came back about a week later.

The old problems have not fixed yet, now the new problems pop up few days ago. 1). The door trunk has to slam or close hardly to shut the door.
    2). When the car goes over a bump, the back of tires make squeaking noise.

I took the car back to the dealership and talked to the General Manager and he called the Manufacturer Manager whose in town to check problems once a month. He then arrived today and looked at my car but he has not got back with me yet.

Among all these problems with my first new car with jeep. That's my first new car with jeep and I think that will be my last car with jeep as well.

A friend of mine just bought a Grand Cherokee 2 months ago and he has problem with the a/c. We talked about it today and decided to post these problems to the public to let everyone knows.
  • geeprzgeeprz Member Posts: 6
    We have aLiberty and have nothing but problems...two certified letters, one of which to the CEO, and not a reponse; and that was over a month ago. Also, served "FINAL REPAIR ATTEMPT" by certified mail, not a call..they DO NOT GIVE A ROYAL @#*$&% about customer.
  • libertyowner2libertyowner2 Member Posts: 3
    I took the Liberty to the dealer that I originally bought it from. They had it for a week. After working with the "Liberty" hotline, they determined that the breaks were not releasing all the way so they replaced the master cylinder. But, big news, the vibration is still there. To top it all off, we now have some type of squeaking noise coming from the back of the Liberty. It noticed it was making that noise after I first started it the other morning. They did fix the mildew AC problem. They also fixed the belt that was making noises. So, I guess we are going to look into getting the lemon law procedure started. I don't feel safe driving my Liberty.
  • jaclyn1224jaclyn1224 Member Posts: 1
    I have about 4300 miles on my Liberty (had it for almost 4 months) and i took it to the dealer today b/c there is a rattling noise in the rear when i am driving. It is very annoying. The dealer could not pinpoint the problem after rotating my tires and test driving. I am taking it back Friday. I am very frustrated. I hope it can be fixed. Has anyone else had this problem? This is my first brand new car and I cannot believe this! I am also having a problem with my windows. When I am on the highway the windows make a wind sound as if I have the window cracked. I hope they can fix it on Friday. It is just not a good omen when the say they tried everything and they aren't sure. The Service Manager will look at it Friday. Oh, and don't ever get black.......worst mistake ever!!! Has anyone else ever had this problem????
  • cheryl3038cheryl3038 Member Posts: 42
    I experienced the squeeking in the rear problem the other morning. It had been a very cold night. Down into the 20's. I only heard the squeeking for about a mile and then the car warmed up and haven't heard it again. When I got to work I walked all the way around the car to see if there was anything visible that might be causing the noise. I did notice that there were iceicles hanging for the rear flipper glass. My thought was that they were causing the squeek. Once I turned on the rear defrost the noise ceased. I don't know, just a thought. I'll post if I start hearing the noise again.
  • stormenstormen Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone share who got the best deal on Liberty LMT 4x4? and can you share any secret info?
  • cheryl3038cheryl3038 Member Posts: 42
    On my way to work this morning another idea popped into my head about the squeeking. What about the rear windshield wipers?? If it was cold and icey.....maybe that's what was causing the squeek. I'm not really that worried about it, especially since mine has stopped for the time being.

stormen~Find someone to get you the employee discount price :-) That's the way I did it!
  • drcelsodrcelso Member Posts: 4
    my front passenger floor was getting soaked every time it rained. Took the Liberty to the dealer. At first they said DC forgot to put a seal under the front cowl and would have to take out the entire dash to put in seal. Then they determined that there was no windshield adhesive in a small area at the bottom. They added the adhesive, and it has yet to rain. Hopefully, when it does, the floorboards will be dry.
    Ltd 4x4 off road /tow package custom leather,, security sys, tinted windows, etc....no sunroof $26,500 out the door (meaning all taxes/lic fees etc included) - was ready to walk out on the deal....not caring if you get the car makes a big difference in price.....assuming this was a good price of course!!
  • ravens538ravens538 Member Posts: 4
    Hi all,

I have had my Liberty for 2 weeks now and have 1100 miles on it and I love it. I am taking it off road on a camping trip for the first time this weekend and can't wait. I just purchased the cross rails for the roof rack and installed them. These things make some serious wind noise which can be heard over a turned up radio. Has anyone else installed these cross rails and have the same problem? I don't think that Jeep has an option for one of those wind blockers, or do they. If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.