Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rendezvous Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• rosingrosing Member Posts: 3
    Do you know where i can find the link to the aztek fan club where the guy described how he cured this fuel gauge/corroded wiring harness problem?
  • rosingrosing Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 Buick Rendezvouz that has a fuel gauge that always read full, until you've idled for 2 minutes and then it drops to empty and the low fuel alarm sounds. My dealer says that a wiring harness connected to the fuel sending unit has experienced "moisture intrusion" and needs to be replaced at a cost of $2100.00. Yes, $2100.00 There are other posts on this issue, but wondered if anyone had any new information on how to fix this and how much others have paid. thanks.
  • exhaustedexhausted Member Posts: 21
    I have 02 as well with the same issue. There was a recall a few months back on the gas tank. Many I think took advantage of the recall to replace the sending unit under the tank. Sadly my RDZ has too many Km's to qualify.. :sick: So I use the trip computer to compensate.
  • 442455442455 Member Posts: 64
    aztekfanclubdotcom
  • h2oaquadogh2oaquadog Member Posts: 11
    I just received a phone call from the Executive offices at Buick. I sent them a nasty letter letting them know that I had to walk away from my 02 Ren with ONLY 37,000 miles on it because I could no longer afford to replace wheel bearings and intake manifold gaskets. Somehow they thought apologizing would make things better. However, she did state that people need to call the customer service number and complain about all the things wrong with this car. I know we have all called at least once, if not twice to complain and yet they still don't get it. But, please everyone start calling AGAIN! Call and let them know about your gaskets, your wheel bearings, your fuel tanks. Keep calling till they figure out this car is a LEMON! The woman I talked to just could not believe there were this many of us that had the same problem and they had never heard of it. By far the most obsurd thing I have ever heard! The number is 1-866-608-8080. I was fortunate enough to be able to trade mine in (at a hUGE loss), but the dealership turned right around and sold it to some poor soul....
  • jk27jk27 Member Posts: 244
    Can you back up your statement, "Actually, most 2002 Buick Rendezvous's are lemons ...." with some sort of factual basis? Buick sold more than 305,000 Rendezvous over 6 years -- are you actually claiming that more than 150,000 of those vehicles are lemons (and the term "lemon" has a specific legal meaning which likely varies from state to state). In Wisconsin, that term means the following:

What is a "lemon"?
    A new vehicle - no more than a year old and still under warranty - is a "lemon" if

* It has a serious defect the dealer can't fix in four tries, or
    * It has one or many defects that prevent you from using it for 30 days or more (the 30 days need not be consecutive)

That has not happened to me with my Rendezvous, nor with anyone else I know who owns a Rendezvous. And, I am very familiar with lemons -- as I filed a lemon law suit against Isuzu, and won, in regards to a Rodeo that I owned.

I've consistently said throughout this thread that ALL makes and models of vehicles (including Honda and Toyota and Buick) have some lemons. That's the nature of mass production. My guess is that there are many, many fewer lemon Rendezvous than you may want to believe.

Still driving my 2002 Buick Rendezvous CXL, 76,000 miles. Owned it for 6 years this month. Still feel it is a safe, reliable vehicle. I would consider an Enclave for my next vehicle. Sorry if your experience was not as positive as mine.
  • chuckie2chuckie2 Member Posts: 16
    I agree. After 4 years and more than 113,860 miles, my Rendezvous still drives and looks new. I think we have this ill-conceived notion that all American cars are "lemons" because of what the Japanese have done with their cars. They can thank the USA for the ability and technology that has gotten them to where they are today. I also agree GM/Ford/Chrysler sometimes have lost sight of what Americans want. We want quality, reliability, style and innovation. We need to stand behind our American manufacturers and press them for the things we demand. Look at the Enclave, it is one of the most beautiful vehicles on the road today. My dealer loaned me one for a weekend and when I am ready, I WILL be purchasing one. Yeah, I would love to have a Posche Cayenne Turbo, but for the money, I can have two Enclaves. Basically, I think your dealer is the issue, rather than the vehicle. yeah, some vehicles had some defects, but NO automaker is immune from that. I've owned a majority of Buicks, Caddies and Town Cars all my adult life and not one has been a lemon and all have exceeded 250,000 miles. My first car is still on the road today (1970 Electra 225 Limited converitble)..hardly a lemon in my opinion
  • chuckie2chuckie2 Member Posts: 16
    I would just buy a new hub assembly. Costs more but in the long run you will be better off doing so. Shop arond the parts stores for the best price.
  • handlwcare58handlwcare58 Member Posts: 1
    I have to agree with jk27. I've had my RDZ for almost 7 years with 106K and it's been a fantastic vehicle for me. I haven't even needed to do a tune-up.

I do have a ? though, of course since it's getting older, it needs to have some upkeep. I recently had the brakes changed...first time! and now it seems the ABS might be going out. Has anyone had issues with that?

Thanks!
  • jdksjdks Member Posts: 42
    Been there done that - my car has over 150k - 6 wheel bearings, wiring harness, gasket, information cluster, fuel tank and alternator (most of it within the first 3 years except for the wheel bearings which I am now switching to third parties now). Technically not a lemon but is one in my book.
  • lllabratlllabrat Member Posts: 12
    My 06 Rendezvous has 45k miles on it. It has had one problem since new. The strap on the rear hatch broke. Other than the annoying GM transmission programming (always seeks a higher gear) I really like the car and its dependabilty.

Dave
  • crudcrud Member Posts: 5
    Burt0010,
    How does the Buick LOOK with these tires? Don't they have raised white letters?
    Picture?
    How do you like the tires? I am considering them, but the raised white letter seem they would make the car look too utilitarian.
  • bxdbxd Member Posts: 186
    All tires that are raised white letters on one side, are black lettered on the other sidewall. They are designed to be mounted whichever way you prefer. So you can mount them with the white letters inside and have a nice classy blackwall.
  • brianw2brianw2 Member Posts: 3
    We have a 2006 Rendezvous with 38,000 miles on it. Just bought it a couple weeks ago. Front wheel drive. Over the last week end we had our first chance to put some miles on it. What we noticed is the engine while driving at 60-65 mph, will spike up from about 2000 rpm to 2400 rpm. It's just a quick spike sometimes several in a row. You can feel the vehicle surge so it's not a tach issue. Also it does this with the cruise both on or off. Anyone experiance this with their Rendezvous? Thanks, Brian
    I assume this is happening on level terrain, there's no hill or other reason the transmission would need to downshift for greater power?

Seems like something with the torque converter lockup isn't working right (the overdrive engagement system).

Next time this happens, put the shifter in "3" for a minute. I bet your problem goes away.

When it's cruising at 2000, does everything seem normal? Can you lightly press the gas pedal and accelerate gently without a jump in RPMs? If so, that's probably good, probably means the transmission isn't slipping.

If it's only a couple weeks old and it came from a dealer, it probably still has some kind of warranty, I would quickly raise the issue to them and get it in. Problem obviously existed when you bought it. This is a good reason to take any used car for a LONG test drive before buying, and include all kinds of speeds. Better yet, ask to take it overnight.

Good luck, post what you find out.
    Thanks for such a quick reply! Yes level terrain. I'll try the 3rd gear thing. We found it took about 2 hrs. drive time before it happened. Did not happen often, but when it did, it was bothersome. Your leaning more toward overdrive, than an electronic issue? Thanks again, Brian
  • bill6575bill6575 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem, just started last week on a trip home. My rendezvous has 41000 and is also a 2006. I would like to know what the problem is before I go to the dealer. So if you find anymore info please post it.
    Thanks
    If it consistently takes 2 hrs to start acting up, it seems heat related, which would make me lean towards a mechanical issue (could be an electrically activated solenoid of some kind).

To rule out an electrical gremlin, next time it starts acting up, carefully pull over, shut off the engine, wait a few seconds and start back up. See if the problem continues.

Ultimately, the problem was there when you bought it, get the dealer involved quickly. The more time passes the less responsibility they will have (whether real or perceived).
    I took my 2006 into the Buick dealer last week and they checked it over for this problem. They said that the torque converter is unlocking. Like its thinking of changing gears. They said that this is a normal thing? Next time it happens, I'll probally pull it into 3rd for abit and see what happens. You can take yours in yet under warrenty to a Buick dealer. The warrenty is good till end of 2009 or 50,000 miles. If you do, let me know what they say. Thanks, Brian
  • kellkonekellkone Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 rendezvous with driver side window clips broken. I have purchased the replacement clips and have everything apart to repair. The issue seems to be that that barrel the clip attaches too is tight up against the pully wheel. How do you release tenson on the cable to move the cable hense lowering the barrel to attach the clip.
  • jewlieeejewlieee Member Posts: 1
    My Rendezvous would not start on me this weekend. I had power to all doors, windows, radio, etc but the car would not turn over or even click. I had it towed to the local dealer (I am stuck out of town) and they said that the ignition switch was shorted out which caused the security system to shut down so that the car won't start. Does this make sense? It seems like you should be able to bypass the security system in some way. I've never had a starting problem on this car before. It happened over night.

Btw, it's a 2002 Rendezvous CXL with 45,000 miles.
    Are you still on your original battery? All kinds of weird electrical behavior will happen on modern cars once a battery is borderline.

I know you said the doors/windows/etc worked, but a better test would have been to either try to operate your power window and/or have someone watch the headlights WHILE you turn the key to try to start. If the window slowed to a crawl or the lights dimmed as you turned the key, that would explain "no click" - a very dead battery.

(Today's batteries tend to work just fine, and then one day, they're dead completely, unlike years ago where you'd tend to get a slow-crank that would warn you your battery was going out.)

Did you try a jump start? That would also rule-out a battery versus a switch.

I'm not saying it isn't the switch, but some easy troubleshooting tests would help confirm you aren't being taken advantage of.

Hope that helped!!! :)
  • michelle23michelle23 Member Posts: 4
    We bought a 2002 Buick Rendezvous CXL a few years ago. We had a few problems with the heating and air shortly after we bought it. It was a car my mom bought but now she has a new car so i am the one driving it. The past few months we had to get a new thermostat put in, a new heater core, new radiator hoses, and now were out of ideas. A certified radiator shop said it was the heater core, but others didnt think so. Every time i go somewhere, i end up stranded on the side of the road. I am a 17 year old girl, who does not need to be sitting on the side of the road all the time. I will watch the temperature rise, then it over heats. And it doesnt stop overheating. One time it sounded like it was about to shut off. And it would not accelerate past 40mph. And i keep coolant in it, that is when its not leaking. We have been veri dissapointed it this vehicle. But we are trapped with it. If you have any suggestions, please help! :mad: :cry: :shades: :lemon: :sick:
    And also, it makes a clicking noise when u first drive it down the road. And it jumps or shakes when u start it up.
    And it jumps or shakes when u start it up.

I would guess an engine mount or the cross brace bar(s) on top of the engine. I would also check the "shock absorber" which is mounted in the front of the engine. If you have had all that work done on the cooling system, someone might have taken one of those items off, and not reinstalled them correctly, or forgot to tighten them up.

Don't know the history of the cooling system. Was the DexCool ever changed previously? Did it have the intake/exhaust manifold gasket leak(s)? Air might have entered the system at one time, and that just turns the DexCool to "mud". Not good on hoses, heater cores, thermostats, etc. Were chemicals ever added because of leaks? They can cause problems also.

Has a good cleaning and flushing of the cooling system been done? Is the sepentine belt tensioner tight, making sure the belt is not slipping? Is the water pump, which runs off the belt, in good shape? With all the work previously and recently done, was the cooling system "burped" correctly?

I know, alot of questions, but just some thoughts off the top of my head to see if anything helps you.
    And also, it makes a clicking noise when u first drive it down the road

Where is the clicking noise coming from. Does it speed up or slow down in relationship with the speed of the vehicle? Does it stop after a while? Does it stop when making a left or right turn, and than start again?

More information please. Could be wheel bearings, brakes hanging up, bad half shaft axle bearings, etc.
    A few more thoughts on the cooling system. Is the radiator cap working properly and is it the correct pressure rating? Does it seat correctly? Are both cooling fans working when they should?
    The clicking noise comes from under the hood. the coolant has been changed regularly because it leaks. We have called GM and told them we have researched other RDVs with the same problems. So we are going to take it there on Thursday. i will let you guys know what they say.
  • gblanchettegblanchette Member Posts: 8
    I don't know if you've checked this but on my RDV the I have started leaking a small amount of coolant from the intake gasket. Mine won't empty the reservoir, but empty it to about the "hot" line. This is just enough to loose my heater during low speeds during the Minnesota or South Dakota winters. The clicking noise I have not encountered. It could be a belt of fan. Is the clicking audible in the car, or does it change with speed or RPM?
    They cant seem to find the leak. The head gasket has come up a few times but we were hoping thats not what it is. we are already in over our heads with car payments for the car. :confuse:
  • leevandam1leevandam1 Member Posts: 28
    ok lets start.... in the garage I start the car.... then shift into reverse then quickly shift into drive. or just shift from forward to reverse and visa-versa... I hear this "clunk" as an old timer I would say it sound like a bad U-joint. Have had a checked by two shops, one dealer. ]Both say not to worry... if sorta to be expected in a four wheel drive... IS THAT SO? The dealer had no shop notes on the situation... and the drive train shop said their puter said not to bother with it.... and would give no reason....... ANYONE HAD A LIKE PROBLEM, and what did you do about it? Please help.......................................Thanks.....
  • azdougazdoug Member Posts: 9
    well another bcm gone south. replaced one off ebay and it had problems the original didnt. a/c stopped working,,mech said replace bcm, the one i have now radio is locked service engine light is on. my question, who is a good source to buy a bcm.from can any rendezvous bcm be used? hoping anything other than a 2002 must be better.can replacements purchased be preprogrammed to vin? i have zero faith in my local dealer so want to avoid using them if possible, no other dealer around for 200miles. i have searched but no luck in finding someone that rebuilds these things or sells replacements
  • krazykizerkrazykizer Member Posts: 1
    HELP! Very odd rattling noise from I believe under the front left portion of the vehicle. Only happens when I start the car and am idling or leaving my driveway in reverse at slow speeds. After this, the noise disappears. Very happy owner of a 2003 RDV CX! HELP!
    The most common culprits for rattles at idle are either the heat shields along the exhaust, or plastic trim pieces like the wheel well liners or the splash guard under the radiator area.
    Do you have ramps or know someone who does? Drive the car up on the ramps, put in park, set the parking brake. Then slide under to find the rattle. If you don't have ramps - since the Rendezvous is a fairly tall crossover you can still probably climb under the front corner and get a good idea where it's coming from.

Should be a very easy fix once you find the exact spot.
  • ladyluvz0ladyluvz0 Member Posts: 3
    this happened to me a few months back was loosing antifreeze and never seen it on the ground it is your lower intake gasket... very costly too fix but i read in are local newspaper a month ago so many ppl are having this problem now there is a law suit going after gm to pay for it and thye will as long as you contact them and have a receipt hope this helps.
    when u replaced the anti theft senser was there a beeping noise coming from the driver side inside the vehicle?? i have this beeping going on and cant figure it out.. thanks
  • buickparkavebuickparkave Member Posts: 2
    I found your message searching for information about my 2006 Rendezvous with 41,000 miles on it. I have the same problem, I mentioned the torque converter, but the dealer said that it is not the problem and do not know what is wrong with it. I am so disappointed in the CUV. When my wife and I bought it we thought we were getting a great car. The Rendezvous makes the 3rd Buick we own, as of right now we have a 2002 Park Avenue and a 1998 Century, never had any problems with the other 2 Buicks like we have with the Rendezvous. :sick:
    was curious i have a 2002 Rendevous and have had alot of same problems fixed as others but this one has me stumped and dealer wants 80.00 to just look at it.. the noise is 2 diff tones and beeps fast and slow and is coming from inside on driver side up by the speaker..was thinkin it might be ant theft breaking maybe but its a diff sound of beep then the alarm and the dinging the car makes when keys are in and door is open .. Any help will be great.. thanks
  • buickparkavebuickparkave Member Posts: 2
    My 2006 Rendezvous has been in the shop for 3 days, the dealer finally decided that the TCC Solenoid needed to be replaced along with the harness and gaskets. Everything seems to be ok, the car shifts better than it did before, I guess the real test will be when we go out of town on Saturday. Everything was replaced under warranty. I think it pays to have the extended warranty in my opinion! :shades:
  • ajmthomasajmthomas Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Was your moaning sound in the front or rear? Mine is sound like it is in the front. My mechanic has said it is the rack-n-pinion (sp?), but it hasn't fixed the problem. So, $1300 later I stil have it. This will be 4th time I've taken it back for them to look at. (Fortunately, they are not charging me any more.)
  • cassandrajcassandraj Member Posts: 16
    Hello, When my left wheel barring was going out it was not moaning it sounded like something breaking once in a while and had a little bit of a dragging effect on the vehicle even brought down the gas mileage slightly. However, I recently had my powersteering fluid spring a leak from the pump. When this pump was replaced I had a moaning in it for a while. The mechanic told me that sometimes the new pumps they put in the car get a bubble of air in them and there is almost no way to get it out other than to replace the pump again. I wish you luck!
  • eschoenlebereschoenleber Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me about the rear hatch recall on the Buick Rendezvous?
    My friend has a problem with theirs in that it will not open - it is stuck shut.
  • h2oaquadogh2oaquadog Member Posts: 11
    The recall was I believe about there being an issue with the latch gate if the car was in a accident. It had nothing to do with it not opening or shutting on an everyday basis. I know this because my trunk also broke and would not open (while trying to unload bags at an airport!). Sometimes if you give it a day or to, not hitting the release key it will open again, if not, it was about 175$ to have the lock replaced on it.
  • hydrochiefhydrochief Member Posts: 15
    :lemon: 2003 CXL, made two long trips from VA to NY and back. Both times the service engine light came on, but only after a couple hundred miles. The owners manual says this light has to do with emmissions though!

Two days after this last trip, with no eng lights on, I took a hard u-turn through a dip, then heard a loud banging. A couple buddies took the oil pan loose (can't find info on how to get it off :mad: ) and discovered the #5 and #6 piston bearings are shot.

So I need a lower end rebuild; or drop in either a long or short block motor. :cry:

Anyone else had this problem? I couldn't find it through a search of the board.

Any advice as to which would be the best route, and why you think so?
  • spike99spike99 Member Posts: 239
    If I remember correctly, the 2003 RDV came with the 3.4L engine. In a FWD model, the 3.4L engine does very well. Very well for the overall body weight and wind drag of the RDV design. My wife (and I) are very pleased with the available power of our 2003 FWD RDV. For our needs, more then enough power under its hood. Unfortunately, the 3.4L engine in the 2002 and many 2003 years had inexpensive intake gaskets. Thus, Intake gasket leaks. If you decide to pull its engine, rebuild its bottom end, do remember to replace its Intake Gasket and Head Gaskets as well. When repacing gaskets, do "plane the heads" to remove any unwanted warps. Thus, creating a much better gasket seal. If doing this repair yuorself, do ensure you use the much better 3.4L Intake gaskets.

If you have an AWD verson of the 2003, the factory 3.4L engine may feel "gutless" to you. In the newer years, Buik started using the 3.5 and 3.6L engines - due to large number of AWD folks complaining about "lack of power" under the hood.

Bottom line is.... Only you can decide to rebuild its existing 2003 RDV engine or replace with an engine that has more power. Or, trade your 2003 model in for a newer 3.6L AWD model.

Hope this helps - some how...

• sfcpetedsfcpeted Member Posts: 1
    I agree with you h2oaquadog. I have a 2003 and it has been nothing but an electrical nightmare. I bought it 2 years ago with 20k, since that time I have replaced intake gaskets, fuel pump, electronic module under seat that controls fuel pump, bcm, window motor, sun roof module, and now the ebcm. I have been in contact with GM and the dealership and they both basically told me that because I have 88k on it they wouldn't do a thing for me. Anyone priced an ebcm=over 700$$. Ive sunk over 3 grand into a supposidly solid car, it may not be lemon by definition but it is in my book. Plus if gm has sold so many that are not, then why all the common problems on this forum. All they have to do is fix them.
  • oneofhismenoneofhismen Member Posts: 3
    Ours has the same problem and we have taken it to three different Buick dealerships in out area, tri-cities WA. Have had it towed in several times and they tell me they can't find the problem. But they gladly took my $100.00 for computer work. All told me nothing was wrong but the car overheats and will not start. Humm....
  • cor1580cor1580 Member Posts: 1
    If you have the AWD system the moaning is caused from the traction control.... when you turn a corner the outter most wheel spins more telling the system to put power to the inside wheel (thats its loosin traction) I have 19" wheels on mine and this made the sound lil more pronounced... but was reassured that its meant to do this.
  • exhaustedexhausted Member Posts: 21
    '02 rdz CXL AWD 300k KM (186k Miles)
    moaning noise in rear was torque tube @ 150k now needs replacing again @ 300k.
  • kate29kate29 Member Posts: 1
    Sometimes it will not turn on, tries to turn over, but doesn't get gas. This has been happening more frequently and we are unsure what the problem is. My guess is the connection from the fuel pump not getting gas to start up.

- we have replaced the pump-and it stilll starts and than stalls- have you had your proble answered yet? Can you help us?
    Please reply