Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rendezvous Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• dondrodondro Member Posts: 2
    Thanks! Is there a chance that there is a stuck code or something? Should I only worry if it's on for 48hrs or something?

This car will be the death of me...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Lots of auto parts stores will pull the codes for you for free. It's not the same as a shop diagnosis but may give you some idea of what could be broken.

This may help too:

How To Find Your Car Owner's Manual Online
  • exhaustedexhausted Member Posts: 21
    Well now @ 310k km- used Barrs stop leak @ 250k km - Problem is she is overheating- rad fluid looks like pea soup bc I mixed in some regular antifreeze as well. Took it to the shop had a flush (4X) & fill with the green stuff (not dexcool) also replaced all the hoses & had pressure test- everything checked out. The next day she overheated- took it back to the shop & they said it will not overheat for them- 2 days later it overheated again- Bit the bullet & took it to GM dealer & had it tested top to bottom- would not overheat for them. (said it was probably a air bubble that worked its way thru)- However it's still running alot hotter than usual- 3/4 of the way on guage. Fans are working and she has the towing pkg. Afraid it will still overheat- Do you think I have clogged the rad with the Barrs "stop leak"? Is anyone else having or solved overheating problem? Any help would be great!
  • bxdbxd Member Posts: 186
    If they did a good job flushing it, I would think the radiator has been cleaned from the Barrs.
    My guess at this point is a thermostat that either isn't opening all the way, or has been clogged with Barrs and isn't letting flow through.

If the flush was thorough and the coolant looks very clean, you can try one of two things. One - replace the thermostat. If it's easy to get to I would do this first.

Two - try running with Prestone Super Radiator cleaner in there. I had a similar engine design in an Olds and it was neglected by prior owner. I ran the Prestone cleaner at almost 2x the concentration recommended, and for almost twice as long as recommended. Otherwise, follow the directions, it is added to WATER (which in some parts of the country you can't do right now). Then you'll have to drain and fill a few times to get it all out.
  • cpabonecpabone Member Posts: 1
    Same problem you describe.
    Same "non-resolution" fixes
    It functions as designed!
  • ealfordealford Member Posts: 15
    It is not in fact functioned as designed. GM put out a tech. bulletin
    in July of 2006 stating that there is a problem with the fuel guages on the 05' and 06' Rendezvous and there was no fix. I filed a complaint with Texas DOT and had a court hearing in which GM was ordered to fix the problem. I am awaiting the Texas DOT to enforce the decision. They say that GM will have so many days to fix the problem or come up with an alternative solution to avoid $10,000 a day penalties. When I get this resolved I will post it here.
  • jpiercejpierce Member Posts: 49
    My Buick is going on 7.5 years old (manufactured October 2001) and my battery just died after 1.4 years old. Alternator is pumping out 14.52 volts while running and the battery is 12 volts static. Just wondering if the alternator is working properly and the voltage rating is OK for charge and running the car. I suspect a cell went in the battery. Does anyone know the exact volts for charge from the alternator.

Thanks

James
    I read the posts about the inaccurate gas gauge. We have a 2007 CXL purchased brand new, now with 20000 miles.

The RDV does seem more sensitive to being parked at an incline than most vehicles. Like you guys, if I park nose-down on a slope, the gauge will show empty, and if I park nose-up it will show full.

I'm not sure this qualifies as inaccurate though? First off, most every car will show a different level if on slopes. In some cars, you can get the gas gauge to move a bit just by taking a sharp turn fast, as the gas sloshes around.

As soon as I begin driving my RDV after being parked on a slope, the gas gauge begins adjusting itself and is fully accurate in a minute or two. (It takes a min or two because of the "anti-sloshing" setup. If it corrected immediately, it would fluctuate every time you stopped at a red light, every time you turned, every time you accelerated. So there is a built in "slow response".)

Are there other problems you guys have, or just the "inaccuracy" when parked on a slope???
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Correct alternator voltage is between 13.5 and 14.5. Over or under that may indicate a problem.
  • lllabratlllabrat Member Posts: 12
    I have an 06 rendezvous cx (3.5L FWD). It has 58K on it and has been trouble free (compared to the 99 chevy venture I had before it). The only warranty work I have had done is replacing the radio (two of the buttons would not light). The gas guage is not very accurate when it gets below 1/4 full. You can be driving around with it reading 1/4 tank and the next time you go to use the car the guage falls to empty and the light comes on (it used a 1/4 tank sitting in my driveway?). I usually fill it when the light goes on. However, the amount of fuel that I put in when the light goes has varied from 16 to 17.9 gallons (pretty scary on an 18 gallon tank). I have also had to replace the battery at the 2 year mark. There were some drainage issues there. The battery on my venture lasted 6 years. I went with an upgraded battery and have had no problems. The only other gripe I have is that gas mileage has only averaged 18-19. I used to get 22+ on my venture (3.4L same weight as Rendevous). Part of that I attribute to the change from 10%MTBE to 10% ethanol (85%ethanol gas vehicles get very bad gas mileage). Mostly the car has been great.

Dave
  • spike99spike99 Member Posts: 239
    Replacing a vehicle's radio because 2 buttons do NOT light up sounds like a "one of" situation. Hopefully, your replacement radio is much better.

Replacing its battery could be a "one of" situation as well. For my other vehicle, I had to replace a battery within 9 month period. Seems my replacement battery had a defective cell and come winter time, the colder temps drove it way below normal operating cranks. My new battery has been working great for the last 2 years. Again, hopefully your defective battery is only a "one of" situation as well.

Many say that Ethonal gas (even Ethonal mixed gas) gives less MPGs in a vehicle. In both my vehicles (3.4L and 4.3L AWD), ethonal gas gives them less MPGs. I also discovered that weather temp changes gives both my vehicles inconsistance mpgs as well. As a suggestion, go back to regular "unlead" gas, compare on approx same weather temp days and do some more long term trip comparisons. Thus, ensuring one is comparing "equal influences" on your vehicle as well. For my one vehicle, its MPG (on its DIC panel) will change from 21s to 25s - depending on weather days and ground speed (due to its "wind wall" design).

For your inaccurate fuel guage, may I suggest you keep MORE then 1/3 level of gas in its tank. Any vehicle (especially some GM vehicles that have weaker in-take fuel pumps) need to have their gas levels above 1/3 tank. Thus, reducing the risk of "over stressing" and blowing its fuel pump. Astro/Safari vans are well known for blowing fuel pumps when driven too long below 1/3 gas tank levels. Also, below 1/3 tank levels tends to allow the pump to "suck up" more dirt / crud from bottom of its gas tank. Thus, adding even more "upward suction" stress on its pump. Not too sure this is true but makes sense to me. To me, keep above 1/3 levels is a good short term solution.

For the long term solution, it sounds like your vehicle's gas guage needs to be removed, possibly cleaned and if necessary, replaced. Could be the tank's level sensor, defective float or perhaps a bad connection within its gas level wiring harness? Especially if its guage drops 1/4 level by simply idling a few short minutes within your driveway. Perhaps its a simple "bad ground" or loose connection within its wiring as well. Its rare but sometimes, its float sensor becomes "too logged". My dad's old Ford was like that. Its gas guage was empty when its needle feel below 1/4 tank. No red warning light either. When its gas guage needle feel below 1/4, it was out of gas. For your inconsistant gas guage needle situation, I'd get a specialized shop to fix it. Especially if you don't like running more then 1/3 gas tank levels.

Hope this helps...

• steelman0948steelman0948 Member Posts: 1
    I know this sounds strange but I forgot to take pictures of my RDV when I had a small fender bender. My daughter is afraid to drive the car as she thinks it is 'fragile' and i have assured that more times than not people simply walk away when something small happens. She wants a small toyota and I want her to use the RDV until she graduates.

Pictures with a little story will be welcomed!!!!!

Thanks in advance
    Mike
    A Dad
  • phreelingphreeling Member Posts: 1
    Before you go to a dealer, you might want to check glass specialty shops. After a chain auto repair shop told me there weren't any regulators in North America, I went to the local glass shop. They had me in and out in under two hours. I don't remember the price bu I don't believe it was $300.
    Mike-

As you correctly ascertain, a mid size crossover is safer than any compact or midsize car in an accident. Size and weight make a huge difference, despite all of the crumple zones and airbags small cars have these days.

Brian
    A Dad
  • gblanchettegblanchette Member Posts: 8
    I wish I would have pictures of mine when I got it (I rebuilt mine and have it with a salvage title). But I will say even with a hard front end hit your better off in the RDZ. The only downfall to it is the raised center of gravity, however, with the suspension there is very minimal body roll going through turns, and during winters even with a FWD version the increased weight and ground clearance help get through most of the unplowed streets.
  • Kim50Kim50 Member Posts: 1
    I am having problems fixing this car. I have replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump and the car still shuts off while you are driving. Then it will start back up and drive and then shuts off. Sometimes you have to sit and wait a minute before it will start back up. I noticed it was doing after I would feel the gas tank up, but now it is doing it all the time. My mechanic is stumped. I took it to the dealer and they don't know what is wrong with it. Has anyone had this problem and how did you fix it?
    The fact that it's intermittent points to "spark" problems not "fuel", generally speaking. If it does it often enough that you can re-create it in your driveway, you should be testing for spark right after the failure. Could be: ign coils, ign module, ECM, CPS. Some auto parts stores will test coils and modules for free, after that you'd need to hook up a monitor and record data as you drive around to see what happens just before it dies.
  • anthonyefanthonyef Member Posts: 9
    I had an older oldmobile that did the same thing. It sounds like it could be Vapor Lock in the gas tank, have you tried a new gas cap? That solved my problem when I got a new cap.
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Sounds like it may be 2 problems. For the no start issue after fuel (or other 5 min shutoff when warm) I have never heard of a fix (many have seen the problem though). When that happens on our Pontiac I just hold the key in start position much longer then usual and it will work.

For the stalling while driving there was an issue with a ignition relay on some of the vous dealing with high resistance contacts. Replacing resovlves the problem.
  • matokuwapimatokuwapi Member Posts: 1
    Wheel bearings. :mad: I replaced the right rear wheel bearings just before Christmas (2008) and I just had the car towed back to the dealership today for the left front wheel bearings. It's 2006 Rendezvous 58000 Kilometers (36000 miles).
  • leevandamleevandam Member Posts: 4
    Ok, Get this pix...... We are driving down the 4 lane, with very little trafic...... my wife says to "turn in right here" ,...... soooo I must make a quick "slow down and U turn..... from about 40 MPH to slow enough for a U turn.... in so doing the car stalls...... Question, is there a forward thrust cut out.... or did the oil slush to the front of the pan, or has anyone ever had a like event. Mine is a 2005 Rendezvous.......please help if you have any idea. Is this normal or do I have a problem. ( beside my wife saying turn in right here, right now.} Thank you. Lee
    Did the car start right back up ok? I also have 05' and have panicked stopped before and never experienced this problem.
  • cassandrajcassandraj Member Posts: 16
    Karen, I know how you feel about the wheel bearing issue. Been there done that. But Pep Boys was smart enough to recommend doing the fronts at the same time. Sorry you are dealing with this. I know the feeling. Hopefully you are done with car repairs for a while.
  • leevandam1leevandam1 Member Posts: 28
    Yepper... just shifted out of drive and she took right off.... (started with just a click of the key)
  • nosuvyetnosuvyet Member Posts: 72
    Hello,

Having the dreaded BCM problem I think on a 2002. I have the shop manual and it looks like a relatively easy re&re. I'm in Canada and can't find it for anywhere less than list (@$400 Canadian). Any leads on where to source the part for the best price? Is the part number the same as the Aztec BCM # 15235418?

Thanks in advance
  • shartieshartie Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my 2006 RDV and my gas gauge is all over the place. It is on 3/4 of a tank... then 2 minutes later it is on 1/4.

I love the car... but having to take it in exactly one week after buying it is kind of annoying. Good thing I am still under warranty... let's just hope it is covered.

The amount that the gauge fluctuates due to a slope should just be a slight move in the needle... not from almost full to almost empty. Plus, I doubt we have that many hills here in MI to account for the erratic movement of the needle while driving.
    If it's fluctuating more than 1/4 tank's worth while driving, something is wrong. It's unfortunate they didn't catch this problem before sale.
  • woopswoops Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know where the outside air temp sensor is. My repair manual says it is located in front of the radiator.I looked in front of the radiator and did not see it. Thanks
    This is a common problem with the 04,05, and 06 Rendezvous. I had the dealer try and repair my 05' several times and they finally came up with a tech. report from GM which basically states that there is no fix and it instructs the dealer to not replace anything including the inst. cluster. I finally had to file a Lemon Law complaint with my state DOT and I got a hearing and I prevailed. GM now has 20 days to fix my car or run the risk of a daily fine of up to $15000. This should be interesting because there is no fix. They don't know what is causing the problem since not all of the Rendezvous have this problem. I have previous posts on this problem and you can search back and find them.
    Ealford-

Sorry you have been given the run around.

My opinion is:

1. I doubt this only affects 04 to 06. I don't think there were any significant changes from 03 to 04... and I know there weren't from 06 to 07. So excluding the years before and after 04-06 doesn't make sense. If GM found a "fix" that they rolled out for 2007, then it would have been in a TSB and the dealer should have ordered you revised parts.

2. I doubt GM doesn't know what's wrong or have a fix. I think that your dealership, and possibly the GM field engineer sent to look at your RDV (I assume you went through that process?) weren't doing everything they could. A faulty gas gauge isn't rocket science! As long as it happens at least once in a while (gotta be able to reproduce the problem to fix it), a good tech with tools can troubleshoot the sending unit, wiring, and cluster with not too much trouble.

Sounds like you have some lazy people, not doing a good job of helping you.

Hope it gets resolved easily from this point on.
  • dlconroydlconroy Member Posts: 5
    We bought a 05 two years ago...was that a bad dream. We had it towed 17 times within the first 6 months of owning it. Our dealer wouldn't even answer phone calls from us anymore. In our state you can't file a lemon law after a year. They replaced the GPS, the entire electrical harness twice! the instrument cluster, sending unit and the had the gas gauge replaced. It finally runs and doesn't stall, but the gas gauge still does not. We got a lawyer and filed a claim against GM. After almost a year they gave us a check, but the lawyer got half. Never again will I own one and I LOVED this car and wanted it more than anyother car. To my knowledge they still don't know how to fix this gauge problem.
  • kleb04kleb04 Member Posts: 1
    I Bought my 03 Rendezvous used and I thought everything was great. That was until I heard a rattling in the drivers front wheel. My Husband took a look at it and saw that the Spring on the strut assembly had snapped off on top and on bottom so it was just rattling around. I brought it back to the dealer and they fixed it for free and so I thought that we were all good. Until a week later the rear end had a suspension problem. Come to find out the motor in the back for the air ride never worked and it blew the suspention. It cost me over $900 to fix this problem and that was supposedly with a discount on parts and labor. Now just the other day I started to hear rattling in the front again so we lookerd and the same spring that was fixed on the drivers side broke again. I have the CXL AWD it's not like I am out BAJA riding in the car. I brought it back and was told they would fix it this time but it will be the last time it will be fixed for free. Does that mean that this is going to happen again and when it does I am responsible? I am really starting to not like this car! Has any one else had any suspension problems or am I the only sucker that buick and GM saw comming?
    The new spring in the front was obviously defective from the factory.

They should have apologized profusely, offered you a loaner and a free oil change, and made you happy. Instead they frustrated you by threatening with "this is the last time".

I assure you there is nothing unique about these springs. A spring is a spring. They are not all bad. It is unfortunate you had two go bad.

Also for those of you with fuel gauge problems, I think you're stuck with bad dealers. GM obviously DOES know how to make the gas gauge in the RDV work correctly. There are plenty of us with accurate gas gauges.

The dealership network is what really makes or breaks a car sometimes. :-(
  • dsaundrydsaundry Member Posts: 1
    Being new to this forum, I hope this gets in the right place. I run a small auto repair shop and its not just Rendevous that have issues, Heck its not even just GM. I have seen so many issues from wheel bearings and wiring harness's to intake gaskets and crap transmissions...I used to be a die hard Detroit machine lover, but I really get leary about quality on the North American manufactures...I have heard all the arguments on how they are using cheap offshore products in some area's however if my business was dependant on asian vehicles I wouldn't need all the tech's I have. 75% of my business if not a bit more is North American....All that said and done I still like some of the vehicles out there....just wish they would be more reliable.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Ouch.

That's sad to hear.

Welcome to CarSpace!
  • jrod8jrod8 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem did you ever figure out why this was happening?
  • dlconroydlconroy Member Posts: 5
    Yes, after removing and replacing everything known to man, they finally replaced the battery cables...never had the problem after that! Knock on wood...
  • mighty157mighty157 Member Posts: 1
    so i have a 2003 buick rend, here right side brake light not workin,not bulb either. how was your problem solved. what should i be looking for here? thank you
  • bambi712bambi712 Member Posts: 1
    was looking at a 05 rendezvous to buy at a GREAT price but it has 130, 000 miles. What is the engine expectancy mileage wise?
  • cruzakcruzak Member Posts: 11
    The mileage is too high Bambi712, I know a car with great price deal it's hard to resist especially when it is within your budget bracket on your car buying. In my opinion I prefer buying a car that will give me a peace of mind over discounted price. I own 2005 RDV currently have 47200 mileage, from my calculation base on months of ownership I drove the car 1151 miles per month average, which is high based on common normal average use. Look for some RDV deals that has less than 50k mileage and purchase GM warranty that will protect you up to 100k miles. One thing I want to add, consider activating the OnStar feature, it really gives me a peace of mind wherever I go especially driving during winter season. ;)
    Statistical life expectancy of a modern gasoline engine would be about 175,000 miles. Some go more, some go less.
  • erica2960erica2960 Member Posts: 1
    I recently hit a very large pot hole, my car immediately stalled and I was unable to restart the car. The car would turn over, but there was no fuel pump noise and it wasn't getting any gas. The dealer that I purchased the car from told me that if you are in an accident of impact, that there is a safety switch that has to be pushed in order to restart you car. It has something to do with the fuel. :confuse:
    I don't believe your car has one of those. Only some automakers use this device. I'd look for another problem. You might only have jarred a fuse loose.
  • tablescapetablescape Member Posts: 18
    Has anyone had the backups sensor quit working. Mine was intermittent then quit, now it has had 4 new modules put in and they still have my car. They just can't seem to figure out why they don't work.
    My first guess is that you have a fuse that is bad.
    2nd guess is that the switch on the dash is bad.
    3rd I know that dirt on or around any of the the backup sensors will keep the sensors from working. There might be something blocking one of the sensors and causing them not function.

However, I would have one person start the car, make sure that the backup function sensor is turned on and not in the off position, then place the car in reverse (while pressing and holding the break) have a second person walk around the vehicle to see if any of the sensors will set off the backup system/alarm. There are several areas around the vehicle such as left & right front bumbers along with the back left, right and behind the bumbers that should set off the backup sensor.

My best guess is that you have a fuse out and they most likely replaced the back up sensors and did not need to. I hope you find out the issue. Please let me know. Best of Luck!
  • dwettsteindwettstein Member Posts: 1
    I've lost power in both front power outlets. The owners manual shows where the fuse is located for the rear outlet, but not the others. I checked every fuse in the inside fuse panel, and all were good. Any Ideas?
  • tablescapetablescape Member Posts: 18
    After 4 days at the dealer and giving them your suggestions still not fixed. This is the 3rd time it has been at the dealer trying to get the sensors fixed. I just hope they give me the $350 I paid the first time they said they were fixed. We are all giving up, it is always going to be a mystery. :confuse:
    The fuse that you need to replace is located in the engine compartment. You may want to refer to your owners manual. We just replaced ours. The power outlets in the front and back of my vehicle were out. Hope this helps!
  • bbowen1bbowen1 Member Posts: 2
    I have recently purchased the clips for the bottom of the windows but I have no clue on how to run the cable that generates the elevations of the window by the motor. I really need your help :confuse:
  • swimswanswimswan Member Posts: 4
    I recently noticed that when I start my vehicle, the AWD DISABLE light comes on...not sure what that exactly means, and if it is a problem. I have a 2005, and only 52,000 miles. One day it went off, but now again this morning it was on. Thanks for any advice.