Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rendezvous Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• philly88philly88 Member Posts: 45
    My 2000 Chev Blazer was always at the 3/4 mark. And my Jeep TJ before that did too. I actually thought my RDV ran cool below the half way point. I must say that mine has yet to go beyond half way, but unless you can show that the engine is iperating at a temperature that is beyond its capabilities, the temperature is considered normal.
  • melsnymelsny Member Posts: 35
    Even though I previously stated that my gauge never went above the half way mark I did some experimentation today. I almost always drive with the A/C system on AUTO but today I tried it with the system OFF. It was only 71 degrees outside but in stop and start traffic the gauge went up to 3/4. The car was definitely NOT overheating. It seems that this is within the OK range. I then turned the A/C to AUTO and within about 5 minutes, and in the same stop and start traffic, the gauge went down to 1/3 position. I just wouldn't get concerned about this situation. If I saw this as an arbitrator doing a test drive I probably wouldn't consider it to be a problem. Just to be sure, I still suggest that you take the vehicle into the dealership while the gauge is up in the high position. -- Mel
  • toonzeetoonzee Member Posts: 19
    I too have the auto temp control. My car has never gone above the half way point on the temp gage. Even during the heat of summer, without the air on. Seems rather strange.
  • moosiemoosie Member Posts: 15
    Those of you that do not have the "overheating"problem; do you have the trailor towing package? It seems that this option has something to do with the gauge registering higher. As stated before, my friend has a Rendezvous exactly like mine except he does not have the towing package. His RDV does not register higher than half-way point on the gauge regardless of the A/C or temperature outside.
  • r_olsenr_olsen Member Posts: 13
    Why this is does not happen on all RDV's is what's puzzling to me. I did the same experiment that melsny did, but since the temp. gauge in my RDV always goes to the 3/4 mark without turning on the A/C, when it reached this point yesterday, I turned the A/C on, the temp went down a little, but still remained between the 1/2 and the 3/4. So like some others who have friends with a RDV, I asked my friend, who has the exact model and options, no towing packages, his never has gone beyond the 1/2. So if these all have the same engines, why do some run hotter than others? Buick has told me its just another characteristic of the engine, and I think the reason for that is they don't know what the cause is, and until more get reported they likely will not look into it either.
    I know that a well equipped service department has a device which can read the temperature of the engine by aiming the sensor at the engine block. Since your RDV seems to show consistently high temp you should have them check it when the gauge is reading around the 3/4 mark and see what it is. Since the coolant systems are pressurized it's not a problem to run at normal temperatures over 200 degrees.
    My 2003 RDV CX AWD with NO towing package runs consistantly at less than half temp. It hasn't been extremly hot yet, but I have run the A/C and no difference. I don't know anyone else with a RDV to ask how theirs is.
  • vmddvmdd Member Posts: 1
    I have a CX model and always shows 1/2 and when in a traffic 3/4 mark
  • qtmanqtman Member Posts: 2
    greetings. I have a 2002 buick rendezvous. I have had nothing but problems with it. I am wondering if anyone else, with a 2002 rendezvous has had problems, and what they are? mine are too many to list here. it started with electrical, and has been a steady stream. I have submitted my problems to an arbitrator hopeing that something can be done. anyone else with problems? would love to compare
    thank you
    qtman
  • obidosobidos Member Posts: 1
    This happened to the driver door a few weeks ago. Door then wouldn't close properly. Dealer said not covered under warranty and bent hinge back into place (rather than more costly replace), but already hinge is bending back.

Anyone with similar problem/solution? Were you able to get it covered under warranty?
  • jimy2jimy2 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I have a 2002 Rendezvous CXL (22000 miles) and am having some bizarre problems that maybe someone else has encountered.

The AM radio has significant static ... until the engine shuts off and then it is fine!

Here is a sampling of other things that have gone wrong but are now fixed.

1) Front right wheel bearing was shot at 16000 miles

2) Rear speakers would occasionally stop working

3) Rear wiper stopped working

Bad luck - broken windshield.

Anyway, if anybody has the AM radio problem, can you give me and my dealer some suggestions. They want to replace the fuel pump to correct the static problem.
  • sharunsharun Member Posts: 3
    Last month my door took off of my 2003 Rendezvous. $836. to repair. Buick was not going to reimburse, but recently said they would. Still waiting for a check.
  • qtmanqtman Member Posts: 2
    looking at some of the problems with "wind noise", I had to respond. I've had a problem with my 2002 rendezvous since I bought it. The drivers side door, leaks noise in the window area. I've had it back several times, and even had the hinge welded to prevent it from slipping. the whole door seems to be out of kilter. they've had "experts" in to solve the problem, but so far, it still leaks air. of course, GM will do nothing about it. i've submitted all my problems to an arbitrator. so far, haven't heard anything back
  • jdksjdks Member Posts: 42
    I've a CX with a towing package - I have the same overheating problem for a long time but I've been told by GM that it was normal. Four days ago, it starts to leak coolant. My guess is that the constant overheating may have burnt the rubber seals and thereby causing the leak. Hopefully it is not related - anyway with mine I've to go back to the dealer almost every month to fix something that goes wrong.
  • mpaetschmpaetsch Member Posts: 3
    I know that this has been posted before but I have not seen anything to say it is resolved yet. Has anyone had this problem resolved? Is there a bulletin out there about this? Any help would be appreciated!
    I've had my RDV for three months now and the time has held steady. hasn't dropped a minute since the dealer set it. How quickly does your clock loose time? My biggest problem is hitting the time adjust button on my alarm clock in the morning trying to shut it off. I'm setting that one almost every day :)
    Just a little note to warn all of you out there that have Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring SR tires on your Rendezvous. This past weekend my right rear tire bulged out on the side wall. It was about the size of half a tennis ball. Today I went to several tire dealers all of whom told me this tire is not available at this time. The company has no production date on the tire and it could be from one day to six months for it to be built. I even contacted Discount Tire in a larger city than ours and was told the same thing. Hopefully none of you are having any problem with these tires. I was also told that the FWD Rendezvous' were equipped with Firestone tires while the AWD Rendezvous' were equipped with Firestone tires. Maybe the are in the process of switching to one brand of tires.
  • olrdvolrdv Member Posts: 53
    the Uniroyal tires come only with the top of the line CXL Plus. I have them, so far they are very comfy on highway and around town, but I can see a short life and the side walls seem very flimbsie.
    About the Firestone's, just forget about them, they are lemmons!!
    Suggestion, try to buy BFGoodrich, Long Trail 225x70-R16 or a Dunlop...forgot the model.
    PS: If you want to spend a few bucs extra, just buy the best, Michelin.
    My 2003 Rendezvous (currently has 5000 miles on it) had been making a rattle sound shortly after starting. It would go away after a minute or so. Two months ago the dealer replaced the shock compressor and that seemed to take care of the problem. The noise is back again. The dealer did a test and said the new shock compressor is bad again. Unfortunately the part is on a nationwide back order. Anyone else hear strange noises?

I previously posted about my door. Still have not received reimbursement for the hinges being bent from the wind. I'm concerned because all of my doors open with so little effort. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before the hinges bend again.

Aside from the noise and the doors (which are big problems) I still really like the car.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Since April, my RDV has spent more time in the dealership service bay than in my garage bay at home.

As you know, my wife noticed the A/C wasn't working a few weeks back so I took it in for a new compressor...all is well with the A/C now.

However, since I'm running out of warranty soon, I decided to have the dealership go down my little list of bugs.

Wandering compass - It's never been really accurate, but didn't feel like dealing with it on its own. Dealer replaced the BCM (Body Control Module) to no avail, and ultimately replaced the Instrument Cluster! Seems to be working now.

Wandering memory mirrors - This has been my hobgoblin since day one. They replaced the memory module first, then the mirror motor. Seems to be working now.

Whistling steering wheel - I noticed this a few weeks back and thought I should have it looked at before the end of warranty. Dealer replaced the SIR Coil (something to do with the airbag) but that didn't work. Dealer then replaced the steering rack. No more whistling.

However, with all the recent significant repairs, I now have concerns about keeping my RDV after the warranty period ends. What will fail next, and how much will it cost?

The service manager at my dealership suggested I call Buick to see if they would extend my warranty, as other customers have successfully done this in the past. I called Buick Customer Care last week, and in light of the number of major repairs my RDV has recently undergone, they promptly blew me off.

My wife really wants to keep the RDV, and I do too...it's been a good car for us overall. We'll see how the next few months go before coming to a decision.

Sorry for the rant. For those of you who have been around with me for a while, I'm sure you can understand how let down I feel.
    Hey Fedlawman,

If that is the major problems with your RDV lately I'd say keep it. To me major electrical, drivetrain, or engine problems are major issues when deciding to get rid of a car or not. But a wandering compass and mirrors with poor memory wouldn't concern me in the long term. I doubt you get lost often due to your compass wandering.

My Blazer I ditched as it came out of warranty had repeated bearing changes, loud piston slap, horrific electrical problems and poor engine reliability in cold damp weather. The truck would sometimes not even start or it would chug down the road for the first 5 minutes in damp cold weather.

When I say bad electrical problems here's a few items that repeatedly occurred without them being able to repair them. They changed many modules and harnesses and the problems kept creeping back

- security system would lock me out without warning with the keys in the ignition

- check engine light would come on and car would not start (not an engine issue though it was an electric problem)

- Windshield wipers would stop working then start a few hours later

- ABS would stop functioning due to electrical malfunction then start again

So, it's always a personal decision when looking at trading in after the warranty is up. I personally like a vehicle under warranty, but if my RDV treats me well I am gonna keep her. Really it depends on how much you still owe and whether it is worth paying off in your situation.

You and your wife already want to keep it, so it doesn't seem like either of you have any major concerns to this point. Its just that you are bringing up all little issues that have been nagging since it is almost out of warranty, which you should.

Also, you are one of the regular posters in this forum, and since there aren't that many regulars you shouldn't go :)

Keep us posted.
  • jdksjdks Member Posts: 42
    Hi Fedlawman:

I am in the same boat you - I am afraid of the cost to maintain this car. Here is my list of fixed problems (18 months old):
    - 3 BCM
    - 1 Instrument cluster
    - 1 Alternator
    - 2 Ball bearings
    - 2 treatment for fuel gauge misreading
    - 1 Air conditioner condenser

I've been to the dealer every 4 to 6 weeks, every time they do a fix I would ask them how much it would cost me if it was not under warranties. For all those repairs - it would have cost me over $3000 (Canadian). Unless I can get extended warranties or from now to the end of my lease I do not encounter any problem - I'll then keep the car. Otherwise, I am getting something other than GM.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Thanks for the support philly.

I called Buick again and they will have a regional rep meet with the dealership later this week.

We'll see if he does the right thing or not.

jdks - Maybe we could form a support group...LOL
  • nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    I noticed my steering wheel requires a bit more effort to turn compared to when it was new. I've checked the power steering fluid and it remains well above the minimum marking.

Has anyone else experienced this? I was thinking of having the steering checked out when I get the recall notice for the tailgate.
  • cmccullcmccull Member Posts: 33
    I added the roof rack bars after I bought my Buick. Every now and then, when on the highway I hear a vibrating type noise and I think it is coming from the cross bars. A cross wind seems to do it. They do seem a little loose but I think they are on properly. Any suggestions?
    Thanks
  • tilemomtilemom Member Posts: 1
    Hello Everyone,
     I have been dealing with a nightmare 2002 RDV CXL AWD since last Spring. The short story (the long one is really long!) is that GM has finally decided to do a "trade/repurchase" and I have to decide right away what car I want. The big question is whether it makes sense to get another Rendezvous. I like the car very much in terms of comfort handling and convenience. I think the simplest way to get most of our value out of this deal is to get the same thing, but of course I want no more headaches. My service agent said he's only seen minor problems with the 2003s. Has anyone out there had any serious issues with a 2003? Any advice?
    Thanks, Deb
    We have 7300 miles with absolutely zero problems!! Just oil change!!!
    My only major comment is that I would like more power, but wife is happy as is.
  • gt01gt01 Member Posts: 6
    Only have 1500 miles on a 2003 CLX, delivered on May 10, driver's door would not unlock once, had to reach across from passenger side, dealer said bring it in and I haven't gotten around to it.

Some wind noise. Been thru a couple of torrential down pours in Mississippi. No leaks in sun roof or any place else. Mirrors don't wander, compass is more accurate than what I had previously, Lincoln, Cadilac, Expedition and Bravada. Ammazed at the accuracy.

Can only give it the highest ratings but think they are ugly, enjoy it as muc or more than any of the above I have listed as well as a Blazer and Jimmy.
  • nosuvyetnosuvyet Member Posts: 72
    After 26,000 km (16,000 miles), just one minor oil leak (gasket replaced) and dim HUD (replaced). Everything else is great.

I will add, though, that the inflation compressor is high pressure, but low volume. It pumps up balls, bike tires and car tires fine to whatever pressure is needed, but for high volume jobs like large inflatable swimming pools and big life rafts it takes forever and isn't recommended.
    Recently I asked my local Buick dealer to change the rear axle fluid on my CXL all-wheel drive. It stated it doesn't need it. I then checked with the maintenance schedule online from Buick and they state: "Drive Axle Service, Change the rear axle fluid every 7500 miles." (period)! The owner's manual states that it should be changed at 7500 miles and then never says when it should be changed again. What is the concensus on this issue???
  • petehrpetehr Member Posts: 1
    I March I bought a RDV CXL AWD fully loaded (including the towing package) and right away I noticed 2 distinct noise problems. The problems were a slapping noise which reverberated throughout the car when I drove on a concrete highway. It happens when you drive over the cracks that divide the pavements. I took it back to the dealer and they said that the tires were over inflated by 16lbs of pressure. This helped fix the problem but only to a small degree.
    The main problem is a very annoying droning noise at about 2100 rpms, which seems to come from the rear of the SUV. After several visits, they added insulation under the 3rd seat. This was no help. Their research led them to believe it was a faulty muffler system. Today, I took it in so they could replace the muffler system. They said that there have been a lot of problems with the muffler and replacing it might fix the problem. The muffler was on back order until today so tomorrow I am hoping that the problem will be solved. I will be pleasantly surprised if it does. I think that it is a transmission problem because it clunks when I am in stop and go traffic.
    If anyone has experienced a similar noise that only occurs at 2100 rpms, please post a message.
    In spite of the problems I really like my RDV even though my wife hates it. The service department has been really good about trying to solve these problems.
  • ppalonskyppalonsky Member Posts: 34
    I changed the rear axle fluid at 10k miles after noting on the online website this should be done at 7.5k miles. The dealer service rep told me next change should be around 60k miles. He said the idea is to replace the fluid early on as the AWD breaks in and then it does not need to be done again for quite some time. By the way that axle fluid is really expensive.
  • viktarinaviktarina Member Posts: 4
    Hi Moosie and Ppalonsky ,on #543 and #545 messages you wrote about changing rear axle fluid.Question:Did you have to pay for changing or it is under warranty?Thanks in advance./
  • ppalonskyppalonsky Member Posts: 34
    Viktarina: You have to pay for this, same as oil changes, as it is a routine service item for the models with AWD.
  • viktarinaviktarina Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for answer ppalonsky,how much did you pay?Just comparing.Thanks again.
  • stillerfan67stillerfan67 Member Posts: 1
    Sharun,

What did you have to do in order to get Buick to pay for it? The top door hinge on the drivers door is bent slightly, but the door closes without problem.

Thanks in advance for any info!
    Stillerfan67

We were told Buick would cover our repairs, but we have not yet received a check. We checked several times with the dealer, and they don't know why we haven't gotten reimbursement yet.We have a call into GM but they haven't returned our calls yet. I'm trying to be patient.

Our hinge repair was quite extensive. The door would not close at all. We had to tie the front to the back door with rope. Was your hinge problem caused by wind or did the door simply open too easily? I notice if we are on a slight incline, the door will forcefully swing open without applying any effort at all.
    Our 2002 Rendezvous with almost 19,000 miles has had no problems other than clock losing time and needed hatch strut replacement. It has been a very reliable vehicle.
  • jack151jack151 Member Posts: 3
    Just like Jimy2 in #522, the AM Radio in my Rendezvous (2003 RDV CXL AWD) is full of static when the engine is on but fine when the engine is off.

I don't know what the problem is. Jimy2 said that his dealer wanted to replace his fuel pump to fix it. Anyone know why that would work? Does anyone have a fix to the problem? Thanks.
  • john325john325 Member Posts: 237
    We've had our 02 RDV for exactly 2 years w/ 36k miles approaching. We've had about 20 things changed, at least, since we've owned it - some very major items, and other minor items. - When it's running, however, it's been real good...

It seems most people have had at least several items changed on their RDV's; thank goodness for the warranty. However w/ the frequency of items needing replacement, the car would be much better suited w/ a 5 yr/50k warranty...I'm sure GM won't do that.

We've had terrible luck w/ our local Buick Dealer for "service". About 4 months ago we've changed to another dealer, and the service has been much better. If you're in the SF Bay Area, I can tell you which dealer to avoid...

John B.
    On July 15th I wrote the Buick Customer Assistance Center to find out the status of the tailgate recall. I was told on July 17th that there was no recall of any kind on the Rendezvous. On the 18th I emailed the center of the statement made by the NHTSA about the recall. It even gave the recall number of 03030. Ironically, after several emails to Buick I received the correct information today, July 21st, that [all] 2002 and some 2003 Rendezvous' are recalled because of a potentially dangerous condition with the tailgate. According to the NHSTA "the liftgate may be inadequate to retain the latch in certain severe vehicle crash events." Please be aware of this condition and contact your dealers to make sure they know of this condition.
  • hofackerhofacker Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I'm looking at the Rendezvous as a replacement for my Ford Aerostar. I plan to to a boat with it. Have any of you had much experience towing trailers? I'm concerned about long term effects on the vehicle of towing and I'm a little reluctant to get into a vehicle that is basically a front wheel drive vehicle.

Thanks!
  • hofackerhofacker Member Posts: 2
    Do you know if the transmission has a "lock up torque converter"?
  • desaljsdesaljs Member Posts: 24
    My wife just called me and the dealer installed the cabin filter, no charge of course. Oil and filter change and thats all it needed. So far, no real problems with this vehicle.
  • r_olsenr_olsen Member Posts: 13
    Well, I'm not so sure about that. I continue to have problems, a month ago we did a little road trip to Montana, on the trip back the AC stopped working, of course it was Sunday and there was nothing to do but keep driving. After stopping for gas about 5 hours later, shutting off the engine and then restarting the AC began working, figure that one out. Then about a week ago the horn quit working, I almost put my hand thru the steering wheel trying to find the spot to make it work. Then 2 day later, just barely touching the lower right and the horn works???? Has anyone had electrical problems with there RDV, now I'm just waiting for the next thing to go wrong.
  • jk27jk27 Member Posts: 244
    I have a 2002 RDV CXL, purchased in May 2002, I have about 16K miles on it. I have filled it with gas, had the oil changed (using synthetic oil) and have had the tires rotated. My total list of problems: 1) the plastic wheel seat adjuster on the driver seat popped off. It has not been back to any Buick dealer since I purchased it. I'm very pleased with its reliability (and I most recently owned Honda, Isuzu and Nissan vehicles).
    jk: If all you've had go wrong so far is the wheel on the side of the seat consider yourself lucky. You're most likely going to have additional repairs/fixes before you hit your 36k warranty. Most owners here on the forum have experienced numerous repairs. A few basic ones include wheel bearings, radio, body control modules, and/or mirror motors. I've had about 20 things changed since June of 01 and am now just at 36k miles.

If you're unlucky, these repairs will pop-up after your warranty. Something many owners have considered is an "Extended Warranty Plan. Probably not a bad idea...

olsen: Lots of people have had weird quirks w/ electrical items w/ the RDV. It very well could be the body control module which I mentioned above. Oftentimes people have had their electrical problems temporarily corrected by stopping and re-starting the engine as you described.

Hopefully you don't experience too many more problems w/ your RDV, but as I mentioned above, there are numerous repairs that seem to affect lots of RDV owners. Good luck w/ yours.

John B.
  • tmakogontmakogon Member Posts: 74
    It is possible that the vehicles manufactured during the first few months of production may have had the production startup issues. This is the risk of buying a new car.

Another problem may be the dealer. In our Toyota everything worked fine until I took it for a 60K mile tuneup. Immediately the engine started to smoke, to lose oil, and it lasted only another 30K miles at which time the pushrod went through the block causing engine replacement. Some dealers might purposely alter the vehicle to make customers come back for other repairs.

In ours (made Jan 2002) the clock doesn't lose time, the AC works, and the service performed included oil changes and tire rotation. Plus, the Buick dealer washes the car at no extra cost during service.

Regards,
    Taras
    Yeah, right! R olsen above (#559) has a 2003 w/ less miles on his car than yours, I'm sure. His car was clearly made after yours. Yet, he's got some kind of electrical problem like others have reported here for 2 years. This is clearly not a "production start-up" issue.

So I don't think your premise of "being an early bird results in poor production" is totally valid. The RDV has had and is continuing to have various problems. Admittedly some of the problems are minor, but others are major. I still think it's wise for RDV owners to consider the extended warranties. 3 yrs. and 36k miles may not be enough.

And I must say, when it's not in the shop the RDV is great. Btw, I just spoke w/ the Buick service dept. about 3 items that were ordered about 10 days ago and are still not in. Plus an item that Buick has tried to fix twice before (a common problem amongst posters here)is still not fixed. Plus I'm experiencing another unique problem that I've never had before.

Hopefully your A/C continues to function well, although a number of us have had to change our condensers. If yours goes out, hopefully it's while you still have it under warranty. Good luck.

John B.