Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Owners: Meet the Members

Comments

• rinarrinar Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone!
    I am new here. I just bought Hyundai Elantra '06 GLS. I hope I ll drive it forever.:)
  • doohickiedoohickie Member Posts: 949
    Cool. Welcome to the forum. If you need any help, let us know. We'll be glad to help. Or at least try.
  • galwaygpgalwaygp Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I are about to make an offer on a really nice red Certified Used 2004 Elantra GLS with 46,500 miles on it. It comes with 100,000 more miles Powertrain warranty (til 146,500 miles)...
    We have bought from this dealer before and were happy with our Caravan....he makes most of his money on the rental of his cars (many Dodge Caravans and Tauruses)...he says 85% of his sales are repeat customers. We were impressed with the scrapbook of remarks from satisfied customers and their specific comments/ratings about his honesty, his car's reliability and their service.
    Anyway, he is asking $8995 but said we could certainly negotiate. Can I ask some of you for advice about where to start pricewise (low end-don't want to seem ridiculous, but would love the best deal we can get!) Specifics: 4 door, no ABS, cassette (no CD player)
    Automatic transmission

Thanks so much. :blush: Gary
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Well, if it's in really good shape inside and out, I might go as high as $8k. That assumes it has fresh rubber (the OEM tires will be pretty shot by 46.5k), and has had regular maintenance. You might ask the dealer to provide a Carfax report to make sure it has a clean history. The long powertrain warranty is a big plus, since this is an automatic so that will be covered too. Is it a Hyundai warranty or other?
    It comes with 100,000 more miles Powertrain warranty (til 146,500 miles)...

Does that come through a dealer or a third-party company? Because that's not a Hyundai warranty. The full Hyundai bumper-to-bumper, though, is in effect until 60,000 miles or the car is 5 years old, whichever comes first. So you have a good chunk of factory warranty left.
  • aphaltcommandoaphaltcommando Member Posts: 32
    Hi folks, I bought a new Elantra GLS with the overdrive automatic and cruise control in March. I just found this site, and have already found it very useful.
    When I was stationed in Germany in the Army in the early seventies, I owned a 1965 BMW 1600 with which I made full use of the lack of speed limits in Germany at that time.
    After the first time I took my new Elantra through the corners we have on the two lane rural roads we have here in Hudspeth County, Texas, it was like I was back in Germany with my old BMW.
    I set the cruise control at 70, and just motor through the corners with my feet crossed, and the car doesn't leave it's own lane. I found out that I can install the 19m.m. sway bar from the Tiburon, along with solid bushings from Moog, or TRW for a little better "feel" in the turns. All this information was on this site in the performance section. If I would have bought a Tiburon, the cornering ability probably would have been there, but I'm retired Army, and my airplanes get first shot at the money, so I wanted a car that cost a little less than the Tiburon.
    Im already very happy with the performance of the car, and know that it will never be a road racer, but a little better "feel" won't cost much, and it will only make a VERY good car perfect. Sabrina Hill
    Salt Flats, Tx. ;)
    doohickie,
    My 2006 came with the 6 speaker CD player. I either have German zither music, or some Yanni in it turned half-way up while I unwind through the corners out here. Brie
    Where in Texas are you?
    I live in Salt Flats, Tx. It is near Dell City, Tx., in Hudspeth County, Tx. Hudspeth County is the second largest county in Texas, but only has 3,100 people in it. There are only four paved roads in the county, those being I-10, 62-180, Ranch Road 1111, and the short spur off of 62-180 that leads to Dell City, population two hundered something.
    Dell City is about 90 miles east of El Paso, Tx. just north of 62-180, and right on the N.M. state line.
    Farm road 1111 is 42 miles long, and it runs between 62-180, and Sierra Blanca, Tx. which is the County seat. It has a population of several hundered, and sits at the junction of FmRd 1111 and I-10.
    On a typical day, I can drive from my place, 60 acres with my own 3,700 foot airstrip, to Sierra Blanca and only pass one or two cars in any direction.
    My place is south of 62-180, 3/4 mile west of it's junction with FmRd 1111.
    Hope this answers the question. Brie :shades:
    I found several references to "Salt Flats" in Texas, including the Dell City one, but couldn't tell for sure.

If you're interested in driving east for meetups, email me through my profile. We have a bit of a local club that gets together about once a month. Although if you're that close to El Paso, it might be too far. But let me know anyway; you could be the first member of our El Paso "chapter"...
    That sounds cool. Where are you? how close are you to a small airport where a single engine airplane would not interfere with the "heavys"? Sometime this summer I would like to drive out and meet with you guys. Brie
    Email me through my profile.
  • cjgtcjgt Member Posts: 28
    I'm been posting for about a week and didn't even introduce myself. Hi everyone. I have a 01 Elantra GT w/ close to 100,000 miles on it and runs just as good as the first day I got it. :) I live in Hackensack NJ and use it as my everyday car but I've driven as far down as SC and drove as far up as Canada in it! I'm very sure my next car will be a Hyundai. 2.4L 2007 Elantra GT maybe ?. Keeping my fingers crossed :)
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    I'm very sure my next car will be a Hyundai. 2.4L 2007 Elantra GT maybe ?

Why? You only have 100K on your current one, you should be able to get a lot more. Maybe you won't need a new car until 2010. I have a 2000 wagon with close to 140K and I am hoping for 200K, good chance I'll get it. :shades:

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

Don't get me wrong I planning on keeping my little road warrior (or partymoble as it's be once called :shades: ) way past 100k. I love the fact that I finally have a car that will last long after I finish making payments. That's my main objective. But, I do like driving a new car. Not like every year, more like every 5. I have to say though I would sorely miss my GT if I did get a new car. When I said a 2007 GT I was basically hoping a next generation would be available for me to consider in the future. Not so much in the near future. :)
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    I thought I would answer you here rather than prices paid. My mom lives in Tom's River so I try to visit her every few months. I am going there next week (600 miles each way.) My grandparents and numerous other relatives are buried at a cemetary on hudson street in south hackensack. I drove my mom there in April and we took a tour of the old homestead. Alot of changes since I was last there 10 years ago. Hyundai is no longer having Gt's for 07. Our civic is a 05 ex-se. Our gt seems to be better put together.
    True, no GTs for 07 but I suspect they will be back in 08 with a hatch.
    Don't rule out a hatch/GT for '07 too fast. Recall that the '01 Elantra GT hatchback didn't debut until mid-2001, as a 2001 model. Hyundai did something similar with the new Accent, releasing the new hatch about six months after the sedan--but they called the hatch a '07 while the sedan was a '06.
    Is it going to be a GT or a regular hatch. The Gt I was talking about is the 4-door sedan which is no longer. I love having the trip computer which we find to be accurate. We caculated the mileage manually a few times and the trip computer was what we came up with. We zero it out completely every time we fill-up.
    It looks like the high-end sedan will be the Limited, at least for now. I would be surprised if it didn't have a trip computer. I do like the trip computer on my '04 Elantra GT.
    we prefer manual transmission. I think the limited has only automatic.
    Actually it looks like the 2007 Limited will not have automatic standard. If you look at HMA's press release, they don't mention an automatic as being standard on the Limited, and they mention that the automatic is optional in general:

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/abouthyundai/news/2006_04_13/2006_04_13.aspx

Also the trip computer will be available on the SE trim, so if someone wants the computer w/o leather they can get it.
    so if someone wants the computer w/o leather they can get it.

What I would have liked to get w/o the leather is the alloy wheels. If I can pick some up cheap before my first tire changeover, I'd like to go for either OEM Hyundai alloys or some aftermarket ones.
    Alloys come on the '07 SE, don't they? At least alloys are easy to add on later.
    Yeah, that's why I didn't sweat it too much.
  • dominquezdominquez Member Posts: 5
    I think you should think again. I purchased 2005 Elantra and at 20,000 the trans had to be re-programed. I also though the Hyundai was a great vehicle. So I bought a used 2000 Elantra with 71,000 miles this July. I find out that powertran warrenty is not transferable... and neither is it on even new car after 60,000. ONly if you buy extended warrenty ($1400) is warrenty transable to second owner.. I would not recommend any one to buy A Hyundai or buy another one if they gave it away. Transmission on 2000 is shot and they want $2100) for new one. I have had Dodge and Chev vehicles that I traded in with 130,000 miles and never had a prolem with transmission... Send the Hyundai back to Korea
    and keep the money in US... you'll be sorry you bought the Hyundai sooner than you think.... good luck you will need it
    Well, I don't feel sorry about your bad experience with the 2000 Elantra. Didn't you check the car out BEFORE you got it ? :confuse: I known people who had trans problems with Toyotas, Chevys, etc way before 71k so don't just pin down Hyundai. It happens to all cars not just Hyundais. I hit the 5 yr/100,000 mile mark last month with no major problems so Hyundai is tops on my list when I need another car which doesn't look like any time soon. Just because you had 1 bad experience with a car (to me re programing the trans doesn't count as a major repair) doesn't mean every car that company makes is bad. Only short sighted people think that way.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    I would not recommend any one to buy A Hyundai or buy another one if they gave it away. Transmission on 2000 is shot and they want $2100) for new one. I have had Dodge and Chev vehicles that I traded in with 130,000 miles and never had a prolem with transmission... Send the Hyundai back to Korea

I am on the verge of 140K on my 2000 Elantra wagon with no transmission issues at all. FWIW I only had two real issues with the car both way over the 100K mark and one that they covered under warranty.

Hyundai has proven themselves to me.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

Is that why the car was being sold in the first place. We have had no problems with the hyundais we have owned and plan to continue to buy them. Problems with the transmission can happen with any car. We had alot of problems with the chevy truck we had but I would not tell you not to buy one.
    Hi all I did is call it like I see it. And believe that Hyundai is a little underhanded about there warrenty. Other owners I know believe warrenty will be passed on to second owner, not the 60M but the 10M - 100,000 and it is just not true. Sales gave it a buying factor for when selling it. Try to be a little more understanding of other peoples views you gave me yours and I stated mine, havae a great day
    If a Hyundai salesperson misrepresented Hyundai's warranty, and if it can be proven (e.g. you have a witness or something in writing), that is grounds for a lawsuit.

The fact that the powertrain warranty is not transferrable (in the past, it was transferrable within the immediate family, e.g. parents to kids) has always been very clear to me by reading the information in the warranty book and on Hyundai's web site. In general it is not a good idea to go only on what a salesperson claims for something as important as warranty coverage. They can be mistaken, or even intentionally misleading the buyer.
  • tsgeiseltsgeisel Member Posts: 352
    In fact, the modern warranty is transferrable outside family, but the length and milage reduces by half.

Unless, of course, you get the extended warranty.
    Yes, to be clear, it's the five-year, 60,000-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty that transfers to the second buyer. The powertrain warranty (five more years, 40k more miles) that goes beyond that is not transferrable unless extended at extra cost, and then it becomes a 10-year, 100k bumper-to-bumper warranty (assuming it's the Hyundai extended warranty).
    Thanks, I know all this now. I believe you have bought new vehicle. Who is present to prove what sales person claimed, the wife or friend that was with you. Not good enough. As I stated most people I speak with, BELIVE, that warrenty is transferable. Which does not alter true fact. As I said before dealer told me needed new trans. but it was not on Invoice, just said refused repair. When I question Service writer they than wrote on invoice, 4th gear not working... a lot different from new trans. Good rapping with you
    I did not realize you bought the car from a dealer. I thought you got it in a private sale. Sorry about my original reply. I would call Hyundai customer service and complain to them about the wrong information you received. The hyundais we bought were always new.
    As I stated most people I speak with, BELIVE, that warrenty is transferable.

Respectfully, those people need to do a little research before buying a car.
    I did buy the car from private seller, took it to dealer, and they told me needed new trans. but when I asked why it was not on invoice, the service writer just wrote 4th gear not working.... sorry for the mix up.... have a great day
  • bodman75bodman75 Member Posts: 5
    I'm a proud owner of a Silver 2004 Elantra. Bit by bit, I'm upgrading as I just moved up in Northern NY near my family and now have "Brotherly Help" adding new accessories to my vehicle. Here's what I've done so far to it:

1) New K & N Air Filter
    2) New 15" Extreme Racing Hubs
    3) Xenon HID 7000K Superwhite Headlight Bulbs(blue plasma)
    4) Currently installing Foglights(Xenon Blue Plasma's)
    5) Installed Bosch Platinum +4 Plugs(no gapping required)

More to come....
    I appreciate the info...thanks man!!!! Hey, another question for ya...I was reading the instructions on my UW Fog Lights and they state they recommend NOT poking just the bulb through as this may melt away some of the plastic around the fog holes. I have personally NEVER seen this or heard of it happening. Would this be a problem or should I not worry too much about it as they will only be on @ night w/ my lowbeams?
    I'm not personally familiar with the Xenon bulbs or how much power they use. The fog lights I use have 55W H3 halogen bulbs (which, I think, is the same as the OEM bulb) and so far, no melting. If your bulbs are less than 55W, you should be okay.
    That's what I thought but wasn't positive...thanks!! Oh, I had to return the UW's because they would not fit/mount on anything. I got a set of Pilots - 55W H3's and they are a little bit bigger than the cutout, but i can trim that out more and get em' in....Wish me luck!!!
  • nkmonty1nkmonty1 Member Posts: 33
    Hi
    This is great a discussion on Hyundai Elantras. Just want to know does it matter if you brought it used? If not just got mine a couple of weeks ago. 2005 I think it is a GLS because it is a 4dr automatic.
    Great ride.
    The big difference with buying a used Elantra (other than the fact it's, um, pre-owned) is that you get at best (if you are the 2nd owner) the remainder of the 5 year, 60k mile bumper-to-bumper warranty. You don't get the extra 5 years/40k miles of powertrain warranty on top of that--thst is just for the original owner.

If your car has a cloth interior, it's a GLS.
    Wow, thanks for the information. Yes my seats are cloth. So it is GLS.
    Ok now that this is settled. What about buying extended warranties and getting GAP Insurance?
    I think that this is important because in case things break down at least you will be covered for wear and tear and everything else that needs to be covered.
    There were some good suggestions posted in one of the other discussions in which you asked this question, so I'll refer to those.
    How do I get into the other discussions?
    Thanks for your help.
    Nan
    Uhm.... you posted in them a little while ago, didn't you? :confuse:
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Welcome to CarSpace! Looks like you found your way back to at least one of the discussions where you started. For future reference, you can use the My Recent Posts link on the left side of the page to get links to your last ten or so posts. :)
    I am so sorry if I posted wrong. This is all to new to me. I do find this place very interesting.
    Again, Accept my apologies.
    Nan
This discussion has been closed.