Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Avalanche Accessories & Modifications

1235»

Comments

• jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    If it has the 4.10 rear end gear ratio it has the cooler (came with that option). Otherwise, I believe you had (have?) to pick the transmission cooler option off of the checksheet to get it. All 2007's have the hitch, so that alone isn't a good indicator.
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    Are you talking about the painted cargo boxes and sail panels (black textured plastic on stock Avalanches)?

If you are, there's two ways that I've seen others get the "Escalade" treatment. The first is to have a body shop take the Avalanche's panels off, sand them smooth, and then paint them to match the rest of the vehicle. The other method I've seen is to order the parts for the Escalade from GM (including 3rd brake light), and get those parts painted to match. The latter is quite a bit more expensive, but you get the long brake light in the process.
  • avalanche2007avalanche2007 Member Posts: 2
    I believe what you're referring to is the upper body-cladding that covers the bed of the truck. You have a few options. #1 You can attempt to have the pieces painted. This will cost you anywhere from $1500 to $3500 depending on the shop you choose and the results can be disastrous. The Avalanche plastic doesn't hold paint very well and is prone to chipping and peeling. But it can definitely be done. #2 You can order the Cadillac Escalade parts from the dealer or watch junk yards and such for wrecked Escalades. Ordering the parts from the dealer will cost you upwards of $5,000! Or, and you'll thank me for this, you can go with #3 which is what I luckily found by chance. There is a company called Southern Comfort Conversions who fabricates the pieces for the Avalanche in smooth paintable plastic (just like the Cadillac Escalade) for a much lower price. I just ordered mine a couple of days ago for around $1,070 ($995 + shipping) and that includes the 8 major pieces that you would want to paint anyways. Their website is www.scomfort.com just click on the Chevy logo up top (direct link .) And I'm not positive, but I do believe this kit will fit all Avalanches built up to this date. Hope this helps. I searched the internet for weeks before finally stumbling across this website!!
  • avalanche2007avalanche2007 Member Posts: 2
    ***UPDATE***
    I just received my order from Southern Comfort Conversions and I must say that I am DEEPLY deeply disappointed. The kit they sell is not a replacement kit for original pieces, it's a stick-on kit. It consists of about 8 cheap pieces of plastic with double-sided sticky tape on the back. So now my cheap plastic body cladding will have cheap plastic PAINTED body cladding. The plastic pieces that I paid $1,000 for probably cost them about $20 to make. And the box that I paid $75 shipping for probably cost them $10 to ship (it weighed nearly nothing.) The 2 side panels that go over the storage/cooler doors do not even cover the entire piece, only the lid itself which is about half the size of the OEM part. The kit is usable but I'm afraid it will give my truck a very cheap look and more importantly a cheap feel. I'm going to see how much it's going to cost me to have it painted, if it isn't too much ill attempt to put it on and see how it looks, otherwise I'll be sending it back and taking a loss of about $350-$400 (they conveniently charge a 25% restocking fee plus shipping.) Hopefully this helps someone out there save a little cash.
  • moosealanche05moosealanche05 Member Posts: 2
    jmath53,
    I have a 2005 Avalanche 5.3 L with the K&N #77, and a PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer and had no problem. If you have an electric radiator fan you do not have to trim the tubing. This set up works very well when combined with the Stainless Steel MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust. I am getting 21 MPG on the highway when I set the cruise @ 75 MPH. Not bad for a big truck.
  • moosealanche05moosealanche05 Member Posts: 2
    I was thinking of purchasing a HyperTech HyperMax Tuner for my 05 Avy and was wondering if anyone out there has one? If so what was your experience? Any noticable improvement? Worth the Money? What settings did you use?
    Do you know of any fourms that discuss the Tuners for the Avalanche?
  • avalanchevanceavalanchevance Member Posts: 1
    i wanted to buy a bedslide for my 05'avalanche then i found the quikunload bedsled does anyone know which is better?
  • avalanche5avalanche5 Member Posts: 4
    My friend & I were going to try to fix a dent on his 89 Camry. I was looking to buy some body filler but I am confused as to which one to get. Anybody have any opinions on which of these would work best?

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/c-499-body-fillers.aspx?cid=FM1
  • 07av07av Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a '07' Avalanche..... "LOVE IT"
    I'm looking for a way to keep the V-4 mode in a little longer?..as soon as any gas is applied, it goes into V-8 mode!
    When I'm crusing, it's on V-4, but 'any' throttle,it jumps into V-8 mode!
    I think if it stayed in the V-4 mode just a little longer, it would save a little more gas? Anyone have a FIX?
  • ralphie2ralphie2 Member Posts: 7
    When you're cruising try using cruise control, this might help with the mileage. My son has an 07 Silverado and the Active Fuel Management doesn't seem to add but maybe 1 or 2 mpg at best.
  • deano16deano16 Member Posts: 1
    i am looking to buy an 07 avalanche, is there an advantage or big difference in the 5.3flex fuel with 3.73 rear end and the 6.0 with the 4.10 rear end? difference in mpg and will flex fuel be big help in future.
  • rocky07rocky07 Member Posts: 9
    From what I have researched, you are stuck the V8 to V4 modulation based input to the CEU. I have an '07 LTZ also. The best advice for keeping it in V4 is to "lift" your foot a bit. Quite frankly, I think the MPG I get is remarkable considering the size, weight, and wind resistence one has with an AVI. I get 16.5-17.2 MPG City and 18.8-20.4 Hwy. That is a CONSIDERABLE improvement over my old '02 Z71 AVI.

I see comments about using cruise control for better economy....nonsense. It's not going to happen. A CC senses changes to grades that are probably not sensed by the average driver. On any grade at all, the CC will punch the trottle down which you might not be prone to do with your foot and you'll see the Instant Economy drop like a rock.
    thanks, I have found that I can get better economy without the cc on also! I was hopeing that someone made (or) knew how to override the CEU, to up the transition from V8 to V4? I know they have plug ins to change shift points and other things to the computer and wondered if it could change the V8/V4 mode also, BUT, I guess not? maybe someone will later
  • rocky07rocky07 Member Posts: 9
    Good point. I'm not familiar with how to re-program shift points, etc. however I understand much of that can be done with the CEU. I've complained about "early" shifting (particularly into OD while entering a freeway ramp) to my dealer. He said, I should not be having this problem as the car is suppose to "learn" and shift the way you drive it. If this is the case, that system is not working as I inevitably have to punch it down after shifting into OD at each freeway entry ramp. I take the same route every morning to work and have for the last 17 months in my '07 AV and it hasn't learned it yet.

BTW....I did an unscientific experiment last night. I drove a 74 mile round trip on the expressway here in DFW while there was virtually no traffic to influence my method of driving. I average 65 MPH on both legs. The first half (37 miles) I used the CC after reseting my Avg MPG. I got 18.1 MPG for that leg. The next leg, I reset the Avg MPG again and used the accelerator (that is, without the CC) on the same exact but return route. I averaged 19.9 MPG. These MPG results include the many incline/declines of expressway overpasses where the CC compensated for slopes. Using my foot on the second leg, I lifted slightly to keep the V4 mode operating longer.

Now, while not scientific by any means, it does reasonably prove that a CC is NOT the best method of getting the highest MPG.....almost 2 MPG difference in 37 miles.
    Just found someone selling the Upper Body Bed Cladding Smooth Kit
    on ebay for $550.00, plus $40.00 shipping (ebay Item number: 150196148014). still looking, BUT, this looks like a good deal
  • djuanthegamedjuanthegame Member Posts: 1
    Hello c_murrell I saw this post also, have you acted upon this? I am looking at upgrading the cladding on my 07.
    Just wondering if a 08' Cadillac Escalade L.E.D. Tailight will fit a '07' Avalanche? Look like it will - but don't know if it will plug and play?? looking to update, tried LED taillights w/ a resister and still get the quick flashing
    Is there a difference between fiberglass handles & wood handles on body hammers? ">link titleI was looking at these two sets and was trying to decide which one to get.

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/p-11665-14367.aspx

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/p-10861-13305.aspx
  • ejkkjejkkj Member Posts: 1
    I have an 2003 Avalanche, this past weekend the front passenger door, lost all power. Nothing in the door works, the mirror, window, lock, and light. At the same time the remote will not lock or open the door locks when using either remote. I checked fuses, and what wiring I could get to in the dash, found no problems. Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you.
  • jacesanajacesana Member Posts: 1
    I bought a bug shield for my 2003 without thecladding. I took it off after a month on the truck. It disturbed the air flow over the roof so the wind HOWLED over the OnStar and XM antenna. I'm trying to sell it for cheap money locally now. If you have an Autozone near you that's where I bought it originally.
  • picmup52picmup52 Member Posts: 1
    When I lock the doors by either the remote or using the door switch, the front doors lock but the rears do not. Anybody experience this problem?
    Rich
  • jininaylorjininaylor Member Posts: 1
    Can the cargo liner be removed easily? I need to haul box springs and they will lay flat in the bed of the truck if I can remove the plastic on the sides of the bed.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Removed: Yes.
    Easily: No.

Those side pieces have a lot of honeycomb material behind them for structural reinforcement and are anchored pretty well in there. It can be done, but will take some time.

Can you not secure the box springs on their sides and secure em that way or just have em in there at an angle?

-Paul
  • liameenliameen Member Posts: 16
    Does anyone know if it is important to keep the air dam beneath the front bumper on a 2008 Avalanche? I got tired of hitting kerbs, snow banks,etc., so I took it off. It says in the manual that it should only be taken off for off road situations and put back on asap. I looked underneath and it seems that the air flow is still sheilded away from the engine by a metal cowl. Any advice anyone?
    YES!! ..it is needed! The air dam acts like a flap on a airplane wing, it creates a LOW presure area behind it causing MORE air to go threw the radiator to fill the space behind it and less under the truck! ....If its removed, more air will flow under the truck and building presure in the area behind the radiator and less air flow thru it!
  • liameenliameen Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for the tip about the air dam. I put it back on today. It is a bit of a pain though, being so low. In my last truck, I had gotten used to rolling the wheels right up to he kerb stone, but that's a no-no with the Avalanche. However, I drove around for about two weeks without the air dam on and I did not see any noticeable difference in the running temperature of the engine. The temps in our area (NY) were very low though, and maybe things could be different in hot weather.
  • rshtrsht Member Posts: 277
    Does anyone know if there is any Air Adjustable shocks (e.g. Monroe Max-Air) that can fit on a 2004 Avalanche 4X4 with 5.3L V8 (its without the factory electronic air ride system) for the rear axle? I want to be able to some what maintain the rear ride height when carrying a load, with the OEM shocks the rear end sags... Help!
    You wanting to bag the back?

Hellwig products make some stuff that may work. I run their sway bars on my Avalanche and it handles MUCH better.

They do some air suspension stuff.

http://www.hellwigproducts.com/products

-Paul
    Thanks so much for the quick reply. My intend is to keep the rear of my Avalanche from sagging when carrying cargo (i.e. helping friends move, washers, dryers and etc...). I will checkout the Hellwig site, Thanks much!!!
    I got their new sway bar design. My wife constantly complained of how tippy the Avy was. After putting the new sway bars on, it corners a LOT flatter and is very stable in crosswinds now.

Corners that I could only take at 20 mph I can now take at close to double that w/o feeling like the truck is out of control. Their suspension stuff is THAT good. I had a BMW 6 series and a 3 series that handled great, along with my wife's Audi. My truck isn't THAT good, but it gets a lot closer. With the right shocks, I'll have my ultimate ride.

Their adjustable suspension systems in the back sound EXACTLY like what you need. Let me know how it all goes!

-Paul
    Paul, Thank you for the information.
    A couple of days before I read your second reply, I found the following website for Arnott Inc. and thought I pass that along.
    http://www.arnottindustries.com/
    Always nice to have options. Hellwig has done some pretty cool stuff and I'm very happy with what I've put on my Avalanche. Others who have done the variable setup from them have raved about them as well. I have heard the name Arnott, but not much about what they offer.

-Paul
  • tucson_engrtucson_engr Member Posts: 1
    This weekend, I became the proud owner of a 2005 Avalanche. The truck came with 20-in wheels. Although they look great, the ride feels a little harsh and I am seeing tread wear on the insides of all the current tires (Pirelli Ventus ST 275/55/R20). So I have the following questions:
    1. Do the 20s always cause excessive tire wear?
    2. Will a different type of tire with the same size improve ride cushioning?
    3. If the answer to #2 is no, can I go to a 275/60/R20 with no further modifications (31.9" diameter vs. 33")?

Thanks to everyone for your help.
    I'd suggest an alignment. Tire size MAY impact wear a bit, but more likely the front end has had the torsion bars cranked to lift the front end a bit, which may cause the alignment to be off.

My Avalanche has 20's as well, and my wear problems were from me not getting an alignment after cranking the keys.

-Paul
    Does anyone know about or have ever used this tailpipe expander?

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/kd-exhaust-tailpipe-expander-1-716-2-pipe-p-1364- 3.aspx
  • ralf51ralf51 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my first Avalanche a couple days ago and I'm looking to get a few accessories for it. To start I am looking for some good all weather floor mats. I didn't know if the best ones out there were the ones on the chevy site or if there is another place to purchase them from cheaper. The next item i'm looking to buy is a cargo net or something for the bed of the truck so that everything doesnt slide to the front. I saw the cargo net on the chevy website and didnt know if that was the best place to get it from or if there were other options. Is there a better site to buy items for my Avalanche that are cheaper and have a better selection? Any help that you can give would be greatly appreciated.
    Honestly, I like my Chevy mats in my Avalanche that I got from the dealer.

As for the cargo net, I haven't installed one in mine but you can do a search for avalanche accessories and find LOTS out there. There is a sliding bed you can install so if stuff DOES slide forward, just slide the bed out and you have it. But it does cost you some vertical clearance.

Welcome to the world of aftermarket stuff! :)

-Paul
This discussion has been closed.