Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Avalanche Problems & Solutions

Comments

• fgurleyfgurley Member Posts: 12
    After many days of having panel #3 at the dealership, we were told that they could not fix the weather stripping and that new panels were not covered under warranty. Seems that they say you should remove the panels periodically and use something similar to Amor-all to keep them from getting stiff and sticking together.
  • bronlex2bronlex2 Member Posts: 1
    I'm sure this has been posted before, but my Dad just purchased an Avalanche. Unfortunately, he had hip surgery and can't drive it for six weeks. To make a long story short - birds used it for target practice while he was hospitalized, so I went to a car wash to wash off everything and the bird doo simply will not come off the plastic cladding. I scrubbed some more with just water - but does anyone have any suggestions? I'll try hand washing with a brush next time I'm back but just thought I'd see what the experts say!!. What a great truck. Wish I could afford one. Thanks in advance
  • sgtschultzsgtschultz Member Posts: 1
    Get back to your dealer and explain that they don't make warranty terms, GM does.

This is not a gray area. It's defective. If the dealer refuses to repair the defect, get their refusal in writing and call GM's Customer Service. GM will get it taken care of. Do not waste your time with an uncooperative dealer.
  • brucecr_msbrucecr_ms Member Posts: 47
    Soak the area with soapy water for a few minutes, and then use a stiff nylon or horsehair brush. Don't push too hard otherwise the area will be a different color and texture once dry. Spray the whole cladding with your favorite plastic treatment. It should be almost good as new.

Good Luck!
  • garison33garison33 Member Posts: 1
    at 12000 miles my 03 avalanche has developed a very bad chirping noise coming from somewhere in the front part of the cab....the dash near the radio, the console, or the driver seat area....can't detect exactly where. It happens anytime I'm driving on a bumpy road or on a gravel road etc.

Any help out there? my dealer wasn't much help when I took it in. They removed a pair of my daughters sunglasses from the pouch behind my seat and said that would take care of it....of course it did not.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Are you running the AC when it happens? Could be the fan chirping?
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Dontcha just love it when the dealer fixes a rattle by removing your "stuff" from pockets and compartments? Like we didn't think of that already? Makes me furious!
  • oletankeroletanker Member Posts: 3
    Hi All,
         Just found this site and find it a world of knowledge and comfort. Today is our second month anniversary with our new 03 Z66. Sure wish it was here to celebrate. While returning from a short vacation in VA the engine I was monitoring for oil consumption blew sky high in WV. I had been to the dealer and informed him of this problem along with several others (shuddering steering wheel at slow speed, clunking from the front end while turning, computer module hanging from under passenger seat, drivers display updating itself while driving, running light blowing out, fuel gage going crazy etc....)and they gave me a monitoring sheet to track oil usage. Laughing I asked the dealer if the engine started making a loud noise should I turn the radio volumn up. Well, at 5,629 miles (and 6.5qts of oil since the last oil change) she blew sky high (appoligies if anyone happened to be behind me) With 500 miles remaining to travel to Ft. Knox and a unfamiliar dealer I enjoyed sitting on my behind while we went through the loaner process. Another really nasty experience. Anyway has anyone else experienced these type problems with their 03 models ? Take Care,,
    Here's how you get an Avalanche out of second gear on the freeway... :)

Oletanker, sorry to hear about all your problems. I've had a few with my '02 2500 (leak, gauges, shudder), but nothing as bad as you. Problems seem to be too prevalent in most cars (our Dodge was a nightmare: we spent more time in the rental fleet than our own car). I hope everything gets worked out.
    At the moment I'm waiting for the first response from "The General". I'm asking for a replacement, just can't trust the one that's still located in WV with my family. Anyone else ever receive a replacement AV ???
    My friends who have had Chevy truck problems like this got new engines, and no apologies, period. Good luck.
    Thanks for the luck nv. If I understood the techy where they took my wounded Avalanche (Nicknamed, Hulio) there is no such thing as a "new" engine replacement. He said they would tear it down and replace the faulty internal parts. In the Army we use to call these "rebuilds" ! If I were to end up with a new bottom end, aka block the numbers won't match and it would be considered an after market according to a post earlier. I don't know if this guy knew what he was talking about,,,my wife and I are about at wits end ! Guess we'll find out tomorrow. Take Care,,,,
    Yes, and after they "rebuild it", when you go to trade it in, they will run a report on the car, see the engine failed, and tell you they have to wholesale it off because YOU blew the engine up. Hope you leased it, so they HAVE to take it back at the end of the lease.
  • perezlperezl Member Posts: 10
    My new Avalanche with the 8.1 engine only gets about 20 psi of oil pressure at idle and only 45 psi when normal driving. Is this normal or is it too low???
    My 8.1 engine is running about 35 at idle and 60 at 2500 rpm. The oil is about halfway through it's life. Is it really hot there (100F or over)? Did too low of a viscosity oil get added? The Users Manual is of absolutely no help (if the oil pressure is in the low range, engine damage can occur. Duh!). I would run it by the dealer and get your low pressure documented. I don't THINK there are any TSB's concerning low pressure, but it can't hurt to check.

Good Luck!
  • rattler96rattler96 Member Posts: 2
    Before reading you posts, I was really considering an AV. I'm preparing to enter the lawn business and I will need some towing power. I also love the room. I'm not sure now. I've been looking at the 02's. Should I consider another vehicle?
    I really like the Avalanche, and particulary the way it drives. But it's not really a proven vehicle yet. There are some issues. And the worst of it is, GM isn't a lot of support or help.
  • dcrislerdcrisler Member Posts: 118
    I would not hesitate to buy another. I have only had 2 issues, neither of which have I had time to take it in for.
    1. the "easy exit" feature of the power drivers seat has gotten off and does not go all the way down and back...
    2. the round knob that unlocks the midgate(1 on each side) fail off the other day.

The dealer offered a free loaner and said just bring it in whenever it was convenient.

avg mpg per the computer is hovering around 16mpg... so not much to complain about.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    not proven? It's a Suburban. The only thing that remains to be seen is how the midgate and water drainage system hold up. GM seems to have a pretty good handle on it as far as it's function. I figure if it's a problem long term I'll just seal it all up and have a dam nice riding CC Short bed pickup. Which is all I really wanted in the first place. :)
    Well, ok, I apologize, I do like the Avalanche a lot, so I'm not knocking it. It clearly is built on a shared platform, but seems to have more issues due to the revolutionary design, I guess...
    no apology necessary. Yes there are a few problems, but not unique to the Av. They seem to permeate the truck line. Luckily I sem to have avoided most of them.
  • twinscrewtwinscrew Member Posts: 53
    I'm considering buying the wife a new avalanche. She thinks the WBH ones look pretty good and I agree. Are there any significant changes made in the '04 trucks? I can get a 4K rebate and 1K loyalty cash through this month on an '03. Probably won't be much of a rebate on the '04's for a while. Is there any reason to wait?

Is the z66 option worth the money? Are the 17" tires any taller than the 16" on the standard truck? If so, does the z66 come with a different rear end ratio? TIA
  • cleerskovcleerskov Member Posts: 6
    everytime I make a slow speed turn, I hear a clunk sound. I took it to the dealer and he said it was due to the factory not tourqing down on a part of the front end. they said they fixed it, but about 1 hour later it was back to doing it again.
    Only now it does it only after I have driven it for a few miles. And continueds until I let it sit for a while. Then again, no problem until I have been driving it for about an hour.
    What gives?? Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
    Thanks-
    Hmmm, normally front-end clunking noises are suspension related. Since your truck has to be moving for a while before it happens, that almost makes me lean away from the suspension. You could always take it back to the dealer warm and while it's making the noise.

Short of that, next time it start to happen, pull into a parking lot. See if you can determine where the noise is coming from (having a friend along will help). Turn the wheels while at a stop. If the noise is there, you certainly have something wrong in the suspension. Maybe there is a part loose in the engine compartment (i.e. air filter) that is making the noise.

Good Luck!
  • lockermjlockermj Member Posts: 1
    I had a similar problem with my '02 Avalanche and so did my dad in a '01 K1500. I took my in under warrenty and they said it is a common problem. GM doesn't put enough grease in the shaft that allows your steering wheel shaft to slide back and forth. The grease slowly disperses itself and the shaft rattles/clunks when turning the wheel at slow speeds.

They added additional grease in the shaft and I have had no more problems since.
    Thanks guys for all of your feedback. Its kinds funny when the dealer first said that it was nto having enough grease in teh steering shaft, just like you say, then after I picked the truck up when it supposed to be "fixed", I asked what did they do? The service guy says "tourqed" the steering rod ends. Well, its time to take it back and see what else they can dream up to fix it. I will emphasize tht I know this problem is common and maybe he will remember to ahve them do the right thing this time. Ill let you all know hwo it goes next week! Thanks again!
  • penguin59penguin59 Member Posts: 6
    My 03 Z66 with just 3K miles makes what I'd call a clacking noise near the ends of its right and left turn limits (but not up against stops). Are there any "make ready" steps that may not have been done that could be causing? Reason I ask is that I noted all four down tires had only 25 lbs pressure after I took delivery.
    My 03 Z66 does the exact same thing. I remember the service dept. making a note thet teh tire pressure was down on all tires when I brought it in. They added the proper inflation pressure.
    I have the same clacking at the end of right and left hand turns. Do you notice that once a turn is made, that if you make the same turn on your next turn, that it does not "clacks" however, if you make an opposite turn, it clacks! I think it is the sterring shaft not having enough grease in there. I wil llet you know what the dealer comes up with when I take it in next week. Thanks for sharing your probelsm as it helps us all be more aware of possible solutions.
  • penguin59penguin59 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the reply, I'll try your test re: consecutive turns in the same direction Will be interesting to hear feedback from your visit to the dealer. Mine should be going in soon for it's 3K checkup and Ill post you on their comments re: my clacking. An unrelated question ...has anyone else had a noisy AC fan problem and received favorable dealer response as far as repair/replacement under warranty. Mine is a dry scraping sound like a dry bearing, or a fan blade hitting a shroud very lightly. If you turn off the fan you can hear it slowly spinning to a stop with the scraping sound decreasing in frequency at the same rate.
    The clunking int he front end has stopped completely now on its own. I never did take it into the dealer. Oh well, I have 3 years left on the warranty so I will keep a close watch on it!
    Thanks for all of the good advice from you all.
  • ygmnygmn Member Posts: 179
    the 17" wheels used on the Z66 are the same as the Z71 and the tire OD is approx the same as the plain 16" wheels.....The tires on the Z66 are road tires and to me provide a better grip then the Z71 all terrain tires

The Z66 gives a better ride, bigger wheels and tires, cool floor mats & Auto level rear suspenion....there maybe more but these are the most.....I cannot tell you if it is worth it to you.....

It was to me as it makes the truck stand out a bit more then a plain jane one and also the ride is awesome and them is some cool floor mats.....

I also feel the resale value be more then the plain jane.....

So bottom line if you do not need 4x4 then get Z66 if you can afford......if going offroad or snow then maybe the Z71.....remember the 2wd have less maintenance and problems then 4x4

HTH
    I dropped my 2500 AV off at the dealer for a "Service Engine Soon" light (coolant water was, again, leaking and dripping on the camshaft sensor). I asked them to see if there's been any resolution to the gas backing up into the filler neck problem that the previous TSB doesn't fix (the previous new filler neck doesn’t fix the problem for 2500's made in October 2001). Well, they have a Revised new filler neck that is supposed to fix the problem. I'll let ya' know if it fixes the problem when I get the truck back...today hopefully. I'll probably cringe when I see how much it costs to actually fill the truck in one stop!
  • twinscrewtwinscrew Member Posts: 53
    Bought the wife a solid black Z66 WBH. That's one pretty truck (when it's clean). Salesman said nearly everyone has one black vehicle in their lifetime. Only one. She is happy and looks good in the truck. I test drove quite a few of them and I agree, the z66 does ride and handle better than the base 2wd models. Seems that it does ride a little higher than the base model. Maybe more perception than reality.
    Its back! I am goign to take it back and see if filling the sterring shaft with more grease fixes it. All of you turn your radios down, (Bose system is hard to do this to!) and listen to see if you hear a clunk sound when you make slow 45 degree turns. I agree that the best Av is the Z66 WBH model. You get the best looking apperance and ride quality in an AV for the money.
    Glad all are happy now......

The avy is a unique vehicle that is a lot better then people think....I think the ride is better then them most cars.....smoother....less harsh....great for long drives....

I myself am a cladding fan but I have had mine for 2 years now.....hehehe

Good Luck
    Have not seen you in a while....ecspecially the other site....what's up?
    The 'other' site has WAY too much bandwidth for me to keep up on. Now that we've finished our project at work, I'll try to wander back. I miss all that info. I hope the Chief is doing well.

As for the gas tank, I did one fill-up and...it filled up! What a novel concept, to fill a tank full. One positive result doesn't mean it's fixed. I'll have to try a few more gas stations.
    Glad your truck fills up all the way....you need it with that big rat motor.....

Gxx runs it now....as chief had a few problems ...... It has a new name .... well kinda ..... Fun inlieu of fan .......
  • camxxcamxx Member Posts: 2
    I recently changed a flat and was surprised to find a Firestone Wilderness At on a 16" steel rim. I bought the truck new with 17" Goodyear ATS and was hoping to use the spare when I put on new tires. The dealer told me all Avs are like this and there is no 17" spare tires. My F150 had 17s and a matching spare. I feel cheated, what do you guys think?
    I can't remember if the specs read "full sized spare" or not. It's Chevy's way of saving some money. At least the tire is more serviceable than the micros you get on some cars these days. The spare storage area is big enough to put a full-sized rim and tire into if you wanted.
    I noticed a few years back when I bought a pickup with the Chrome "SS" wheels that the spare was just a plain steel wheel. Got the... "That's Normal". I don't rotate my spare anyway, so it doesn't matter to me.
  • camxxcamxx Member Posts: 2
    My F150 had these firestones and all were replaced for free on the ford recall. I quess I feel cheated because I like the Goodyear ATS and I ASSumed another one was up there. I did pay an extra 125.00 for the "full size spare".

I'm at 45K and I'm thinking about replacing all four with the Goodyear ATS.
  • billybmanbillybman Member Posts: 1
    I have been pricing '04 Avalanches and the salesman said that the LT and LS have been dropped and now they go by 1500,2500,3500 and then add options.
    ever did use the LS and LT designations. Maybe they dropped them on the Silverado, don't know 'bout that.
    LT LS was interior trim levels....

Luxury Touring LT was top of line
    Luxury Sport LS was a step below

Avalanche never had these designations.....

Tahoes burbans do.....

Z71 = special 4x4 offroad option
    Z66 = special 2x4 onroad option...

HTH
    they closed the original big AVALANCHE discussion thread.....bummer....

I guess this site does not get the traffic it once did....

Oh well....Thanks Edmunds...
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    I'm afraid it's a victim of auto-archive. When a discussion has had no activity for 45 days, it automatically closes. Here in the owners clubs,the topics are open indefinitely.
    Thanks for explanation........

Guess people have asked all they are gonna ask....
  • zonkzonk Member Posts: 208
    My wife has an '03 Z-66 AV. Only around 1500 miles. Very comfortable to drive and ride. Very satisfied with it so far. MPG is within .4 of what sticker claims in both city and highway. However, upon accelerating from a stop, slowing to a stop, or turning, I hear a 'clunking' or 'creaking'noise from the right middle to right rear of the vehicle. Have never heard such a sound in any other vehicle. Any ideas as to what it might be?
    Zonk
This discussion has been closed.