Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Avalanche Problems & Solutions

Comments

• txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    The popping is usually the crossmember problem. Mine was fixed by elongating some holes and repositioning it. The fix now is replacement with a new one.
  • ron burgundyron burgundy Member Posts: 7
    If it’s the same noise mine makes, it sound's like a quiet rod knock. Epically when you first start it. It’s called Piston Slap. Get use to it if you own a 5.3. It’s a design flaw that "supposedly" doesn't hurt the engine. Only time will tell. I have 77k on mine and it is still seems to be going strong. Except the front end is starting to make a lot of noise now.
  • gemstickgemstick Member Posts: 4
    The noise I am talking about only comes when I hit 65-70 mph and I think it has to do with the air deflector. It sounds like popping corn and it really isn't very loud. I saw that earlier discussions were about putting 2 sided tape somewhere but I am not sure where. Suspension and turning seem fine.... KNOCK ON WOOD!!!!!!!!!!!
  • 88toy4run88toy4run Member Posts: 1
    chevy does not want you to know this (had to pry it out of a mechanic at the dealership) around 2000 or 2001 chevy changed the composition of metals in there rotors (big mistake) now every one i know that owns a new chevy has had the thing in for new rotors. They wanted to charge my grandfather 600 to replace the front rotors in his truck, (only 17,000mi on it) so i payed $150 for 2 aftermarket (not made by chevy) rotors and $20 for pads, swapped them out. its been over a year now and the rotors are just a as good as the day i put them on. good luck
  • ctldrvctldrv Member Posts: 1
    I have noticed the same rough idle with my new 2006 Avalanche. Any luck with the dealer and the idle problem? I am taking mine in in a few days.
  • modge111modge111 Member Posts: 2
    I had a similar ongoing prob. Turned out to be body mounts.This is a chronic problem with the Avalanche and Tahoes. Took many trips to the service Dept. to get this resolved.
  • modge111modge111 Member Posts: 2
    I have had a recurring problem with my 2003 Avalanche. When the vehicle has been driven and is heated up I have a squeal while turning left only. Initially souned like a loose belt. Several power steering gears and a high pressure hose later the noise is reduced but is still there. Any info or suggestions on this issue are appreciated. Thanks
  • scavalscaval Member Posts: 1
    My wife has problems seeing out the back window. Is there any way you could install a rear view camera or back up sensors
    Many options out there for both sensors and camera systems.
  • hockeyman2hockeyman2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 05 Av that has a rythmatic humming noise at 62 and 72. The truck has 410 gears(not sure if this is related). I brought it to another dealer after several attempts by the purchasing dealer. The transfer case is whats making the noise and there is a bullitin on it but no fix at this time. I have filed for arbitration under our state lemon law and it looks lokie a lost case for chevy. I also have a 2006 z-71 tahoe with 373's with no problems. Anyone who has this problem let me know if you have 410 gears.
  • hockeyman2hockeyman2 Member Posts: 2
  • 02z7102z71 Member Posts: 4
    I have put the velcro on the rubber pieces that cover the bolthead - to ne avail. HAving said that, next time you hear it on the highway, reach your hand up to the inside of the windshield where the windshiel and the frame meet. I will bet you feel the windshield ""fluttering" ever so slightly. I bet one or both or your outside mirrors probably shake as well. My Service Manager stated all this was normal. Then again, he just told be a bad front differential bearing ($900) and a bad rear differential bearing ($1200) failing at 57k miles is normal even thought I did the $30K check up ($650)
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    I get about the same mileage from an '06 crew cab Z71 4WD Silverado with the 5.3 engine and 3.73 gears. I seriously considered getting an Avalanche but poor visibility from the small rear window and smallish bed were the major decision factors. On the other hand I like the nice soft ride of the Avalanche. Silverado Z71 rides noticeably stiffer.
  • turibeturibe Member Posts: 6
    I have an '02 Chevy Avalanche w/ 45K miles, and lately I have been having problems with the 4 wheel drive. When turning corners, I hear a groaning noise and the vehicle begins to bind up and if I turn sharp enough, I can actually stop the vehicle as if I was braking. I've taken it into the dealer and they've told me it's normal. I've read in this forum others were having the same problem.
    Has anybody found a solution to this problem?
    Thanks for your help
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    If you're in 4Hi or 4Lo on a hard surface (or other surface with good traction for all 4 wheels) and experiencing this the dealer is right. If you're in A4WD on a hard surface then it probably should have disengaged 4wd on its own already and might need to be checked out. If you're in 2Hi and getting this then they definitely need to be checking the situation out.
    Thanks for the feedback. You're right, 4 wheel drive is not intended to be used on dry hard surfaces. Where my concern came from is when I would compare my 4 wheel drive to other chevy truck/suv 4 wheel drive, and the other vehicles would not bind up or growl when turning like mine would. Could it be the hub assembly going bad?
    I really don't know. My 2004 Z71 also growls a bit in 4WD, but nothing that worried me too much. From experience in other 1500's I consider it normal. When in 4WD they all seem a bit noisy. On the other hand it was almost impossible to tell the 2003 Trailblazer I replaced with it was in 4WD at all other than the obvious traction difference.
  • kadykady Member Posts: 1
    i also have a chevy avalanche with 410 gear/2004/4wd/z71/
    was told today there is something wrong in the transfer case. on 3 occasions i have had to take the truck to dealer as the 4x4 service light has come on,they said it was a faulty switch,needed to be re programed,it has had a growling noise from day one i was told the avalanche has alot of road noise thats probably the noise i am hearing ,the auto trac 4x4 also comes on by itself it will switch by itself from 2 wheel drive to auto trac,well now at 49000 miles after complaining several times about the 4x4 its got a problem with transfer case starting at a price range of 700.00 min. to tear down i am gonna fight this one not that i will get anywhere. also this truck has had the speedometer register 90 to 100 mph when you are actually going around 60 it will have a major problem for about three days then go back to normal has happened 3 times so far now that its out of warranty i was told they have had a problem with the cluster but not enough problem to warrant a recall the unit cost about 400 to 450 plus labor. a few other problems to bad they cant get it right the av could be a great truck its very universal.
  • poppinpoppin Member Posts: 1
    28,000 mi front wheel bearing failed. replaced @ my own xpense. 32,000 transmission failed. dealer paid under warrantee. i now have 44,000 mi and trans has slipped once from stop. took back to dealer, i paid $44.00 for inspection they said ok. told them to remove pan. they said computer tells all, i really hope they are right, no xxtented warrantee !!! thank you mr. poppin ps. just replaced orig. tires with goodyear triple tread or "silent armor" tires, steering, (wierd noise on sharp turns have been eliminated)and ride is now xxcellant !!
    What was your vehicle doing before you placed the front wheel bearing, and how much did it cost you to replace them?
  • kokaneekokanee Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I have a 2005 Avalanche. When I engage 4 wheel drive high, I get a loud noise from the front end. The noise isn't too bad when the wheels are straight, but when I turn the wheels (even just a bit) I hear a loud noise, almost like something rubbing against something else. I won't use the four wheel drive system until this is checked out because I don't want to damage anything.
    I called my dealer, gave him a verbal 'picture' of what was going on, and he said this noise was normal. I disagree. I have had other four wheel drive trucks and have never heard this noise before.
    I'm taking the truck to the dealer tomorrow to have it checked out. Has anybody else experienced this with their Avalanche? To better arm myself when I approach my dealer, I'd like to know if any of you have experienced this problem. If so, was there actually a problem which was diagnosed and repaired, or is this a noise I'm going to have to live with?
    Thanks! Any replies are much appreciated.
    Mark
  • spenderspender Member Posts: 1
    Did you find any other source besides GMSOURCE direct for the plastic cladding parts?

I am looking at buying a Tahoe and may need a front bumper plastic.

Thanks,

Sean Pendergast
    I have an '02 Avalanche and have been experiencing the same thing. I also took it to the dealer and they told me it was normal. What I have found is when I engage the 4 wheel drive on a hard, dry surface, I hear the grinding noise. However, when I engage the four wheel drive in a muddy, snowy, or other slippery condition, the four wheel drive works great with little noise. I also experienced when I would turn sharp on a hard dry surface in four wheel drive, the wheels would actually bind up to the point where they would stop the vehicles progress forward. What was concluded from all this and from talking with others, the 4 wheel drive system is simply not intended to be engaged on dry hard surfaces. I think your "noise" is normal and you should be fine. I don't know if this offers much comfort, but it is what I have experienced with my Avalanche.
  • greenavigreenavi Member Posts: 1
    My wife has a 2002 Avi with the same problem, what did you do to remedy this problem?
  • kokaneekokanee Member Posts: 2
    Hi Turibe,
    I certainly appreciate your reply. I took my truck to the dealer, and as expected...they said the noise was normal.
    When I get off work tonight I'll take a ride in some sand and see how it sounds.
    Once again, thanks for your reply.
    I am thinking of getting an engine performance booster for my avalanche. Has anybody else done this and what has been your experience with them?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You mean something in a can, an additive? That's just snake oil....don't bother IMHO. I've tried them all, they are illusory.

If you mean a MECHANICAL device, then it depends on what you are talking about.
    I should have been more specific with my questions. What i was referring to are the "chips" or computer softwares you can install into your vehicle to change the factory settings for air/fuel ratio, timing aspects, and a few other things in order to either get more horsepower or better fuel economy.
    Most people use them for the diesel vehicles, but i've seen/heard of a few for gas engines.
    Ok, okay.

Well all I can tell you is what I read from the "experts" and they all seem to say the same thing about chips...some work, some don't, and some work but aren't good for your truck.

So how to sort all this out? I think you need to shop carefully, first of all to determine the reputation of the chip vendor, then to ask them HOW they get the performance they claim (are they bumping the timing, or just extending the transmission shift points?) and also how much MPG you might LOSE (I'm a real skeptic about any device that claims to give you more power AND better mpg---that sounds rather contradictory to science).

Then if all this passes muster, I'd try to find someone who has already bought and TESTED the chip over time and get his/her testimonial.

My feeling is that factory engineers are very smart guys and that they don't leave lots of power on the table---and if they do leave a little HP on the table, it's a good idea to find out WHY they didn't add it to the stock vehicle. Most likely answers would be driveability in everyday use, and MPG.
    Its possible to improve both power and economy with just a reprogrammed PCM. Search other truck forums for proof (dyno charts, etc. from end users and not just the people trying to sell you their chips).

Most people never see the actual posted hp and torque with their vehicles thanks to built in torque management. This retards engine timing with gear changes, gives soft shifts, and other similar tricks. The main reasons for this seem to be related to emissions, driver preference for "soft" shifting, and transmission life.

The 4L60E transmission in current GM trucks is long in the tooth, tracing back to the TH700R4, and wasn't originally designed to handle the power being made by the current crop of V8's. Part of the changes made to allow the bigger engines was softer shifts (reducing the amount of sudden torque load change) and engine retardation during shifts. This also reduces overall fuel efficiency and engine power output.

So, if you don't mind firmer shifts and aren't too "enthusiastic" with your driving you can benefit with a reprogram. You can also shorten your transmissions life if you enjoy yourself too much though.

BTW, GM isn't the only manufacturer doing this. Most of them have similar issues.
    thanks for that info...interesting...

I still find it hard to believe that engineers wouldn't leap at the chance to increase MPG by a simple software update. Engineers are DESPERATE for any increase in MPG, so I wonder why they would decline to do this. Makes no sense unless the increase in MPG has some negative effect on something else (like emissions, or engine longevity, etc.).

No one has ever been able to explain this.

Also I'm not always sold on dyno results as there are so many easy ways to cheat a dyno if you are a devious vendor.

You might all find this interesting. Sorry if it's a bit off topic for some of you.

http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0402tur_punkdyno/
    It was a way to save the money that engineering completely new transmissions would have cost (and are costing now). But there is only so far you can push a design before things start breaking, and that means warranty repairs. How better to overcome both obstacles than by using the tricks I mentioned above. Some of those PCM changes can also result in higher MPG but don't pass emissions regulations (search for "lean burn" elsewhere to see what I'm talking about).

Interesting tricks with the dyno, btw. :P

There's much more to the story than just increased power output. But I'll try to let things get back on topic here, and just repeat my recommendations to search other truck forums for actual owner experiences. Some have more than just dyno logs (monitoring timing, to demonstrate how hp / torque are chopped by the PCM in some situations, is another example). :)

Edit: Almost forgot- despite the possible gains (likely 1 - 2 mpg), I haven't done this with my 2004 Silverado. Mostly because I fear that I'd be one of those that can't resist the feeling of extra power and would trash my transmission in a short period of time. I'm fairly certain that doing so voids the warranty. ;)
  • rk2003rk2003 Member Posts: 1
    Have you or anyone you know had any further problems with the rear window plastic molding cracking? Mine has cracked two times since I got it in 02.
    Nope, only the early ones.
  • joemama2969joemama2969 Member Posts: 1
    Hello to everything, I don't know if you have experience this problem when you got your new truck.... I barely got my truck like 3 weeks ago, my milage is arond 700 miles.. The problem that I'm having it happens just when the truck takes off.......it feels like the truck is lagging.
    Have this happened to anybody? How can i corrected? Plese advise !!! Thank you
  • melhmelh Member Posts: 3
    Just took delivery of my 2007 Avalanche. Thought for sure from the friends that I have that have these that the MPG would be better than my 2001 Silverado. WOW was I surprised to see that my first half a tank only got me 11.5 MPG. That isn't good at all. Any suggestions would be welcomed.
    First off be patient. You don't say if it's 2wd or 4wd. You also don't say if that's calculated or from the DIC. While it's pretty low, it will get better and it isn't terrible if it's 4wd and brand new. The DIC readings have been known to off. Although mine usually reads high (always takes more gas that it says I've used). Congrats on the new Av....I love the looks of the '07s.
    OK I didn't mention all the facts. It is 2WD. The dealer filled the tank up as a gift for it taking 12 weeks to get. And talking to the dealer they said that it may take up to 2500 miles before it settles down and gets better MPG. I did put on a Flo Master and was thinking about the air filter thing I have heard about. All is suppose to get better mileage, or is it just a scam. I do like the sound of the Flo Master, and I know that it doesn't mess things up, but not sure about the filter.

I too love the looks and the features of the truck. Every year Chevy improves their thoughts. Sunburst Orange is getting many looks. Now I better get a good alarm system before I lose it.
    I too love the sound of a Flowmaster. My current '05 is the 1st truck in a long time that I didn't put one on immediately.
    I never plan on getting MPG improvement from it though and if I ever had I hardly noticed it. Same for intake, however you can get a better throttle response with an intake (mainly from an aftermarket tube , not so miuch the filter. FWIW, I just returned from a trek to NY and back. 3600 miles and averaged 21.04. Had a high of 22.1 for two separate fillups. Not bad for a near-3-ton "brick". BTW, We were weren't wasting any time. ;)
  • ralphfralphf Member Posts: 3
    I own an '04 2WD with a single outlet Flow Master, and a drop in K&N. I drive 100 miles a day every other week to work and back. I checked my mileage 3 weeks ago and was getting 18.2 mpg. My commute is a mix of highway speeds (65 - 80), heavy stop & go traffic, and 30-45 mph driving.

I was thinking of adding a Tornado, but I don't know anyone who has one to see if there is a difference in their mpg.
    Well just got my 3rd tank of gas. Was I surprised to see the the mileage has improved. I am not for around town, up to 14.7MPG. I am still thinking about the K&N air filter, plus the computer chip when they have it for the 2007's. I am more than happy with the 2007 model. More people stair at it with envy, but not as much as the way I feel when I turn the key and drive it. Chevy tells me that the engine will take 2500 miles to break in, so I will just wait it all out. Hope you that have purchased one are as happy as I am.
  • geocingeocin Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Z71 and when I get to at least 60 mph on the highway in 2wd, a diesling noise starts under the front of the truck.

I took the truck in and there seems to be a service bulleting on the front transfercase because the linkage is loose in 2wd. Anyone have any Ideas how to fix, the dealers are worthless. The service manager just told me to live with it.
  • ralphfralphf Member Posts: 3
    If that's what the service manager told you, then demand to talk to the owner. If you get no satisfaction call your regional factory rep and explain the problems you've had with the dealer. The NHTSA has a list of all TSBs from all manufacturers on record. Check their web site.
  • 4wheelinfelin4wheelinfelin Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me if there is an aftermaket programer or "super chip that will bypass this stupid governor control on my AVZ71. Just not happy going slow.
    Yes. Diablo Predator is one that will raise speed limiter to 128. Not sure how many of the others have that capability. Personally I have no desire to drive my Avalanche even to the 98 mph limit. Although I did get real close to that once....on Texas Motor Speedway.
    Well I hope that anyone who wants to go 100 mph will do it only on a speedway and not on public roads.
  • soccertaxisoccertaxi Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2004 (bought new) and just now at 35,000 miles having some of the same problems you mentioned. Do you still own yours and if so, how did you fix the problems with "just quiting" on you. It did that to me on the interstate going 70. Did you drop the tank ?
  • elliswellisw Member Posts: 1
    Dear Crutches:

I also have the same problem. I had an 05 Avalanche and every time I made a turn into a dip the front wheel depending on which wheel went first made a popping noise. I also took it to the dealer 5 times like yourself. They also replaced many items including the steering pump which then made the steering wheel make a hooting noise when turning hard turns. Now the best yet. I got rid of the 05 Z66 and bought an 06 Z66 LT. And guess whay... It does the same thing. I've called GM to no avail. Did you get yours fixed? if so, what did they do?
    The "popping" is usually the cross-member problem. Then there's the "marbles in the steering column", which is what I think the sensation is with the intermediate steering shaft problem. I had both fixed on my '03. Had an '05 that also had the cross-member problem, but didn't keep it long enough to get fixed.(bought used and had for 5 months). The '06 I have now has neither of these problems (yet), but it does have the body creaking (when starting and stopping) problem. I understand there is a TSB for this - body mounts.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have decided to hold on to their current pickup truck, rather than purchasing a new one. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, August 9, 2006 by 2:30 PM PT/5:30 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and what pickup truck you currently own.
This discussion has been closed.