Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• doohickiedoohickie Member Posts: 949
    You need a metric socket set for the front brakes; I think 10mm is the magic one. You will also need a C-clamp to retract the piston. Work only one side at a time so that you have one to look at as an example when putting the one you're working on back together.

If you decide to do the rears as well, you can't just push the piston straight back; you have to twist as you push and kind of "screw it in". There are tools for this you can buy at an auto parts store (for as little as $10), or I've heard some people say they used needle nose pliers in the the little indentations in the face of the piston.

If you decide to remove the rotors, you may find they are stuck on and fused to the hub; this happens in some cases. In the exteme, they occasionally need to be cut off with a hack saw or sawzall and replaced. If they are not pulsing or anyting right now, leave well enough alone.

As for the headlight lenses, there are products available at auto parts stores for polishing them, but you might try using plain old toothpaste first.
  • dria24dria24 Member Posts: 32
    how do you take the front headlight covers 2 clean inside or do we need to replace.
    will give my boyfriend infor on front brakes. is there any one brand 4 brakes?
  • priv8warriorpriv8warrior Member Posts: 13
    I installed the factory option mud guards on my 2007 SE and it was very easy. They are wide enough to protect the car but are small enough to be unnoticed. I will see if I can post a picture later.
    Try cleaning them from the outside. If they have moisture on the inside, try taking them off the car and putting them in the oven at very low setting (warm) to get the moisture out. If they need to be physically cleaned on the inside surface (which I doubt), you can heat them up a little more and actually disassemble the headlamp. I need to look around to see what temeperature; it's not very high. They are held together with a sealant that gets flexible when it's heated up.
  • oracle_of_rockoracle_of_rock Member Posts: 58
    Well, I got the front mud guards installed but there just isn't enough room for both my hand the the screw driver to get the rear mud guards installed. I suppose you could remove the rear wheels (I got around that issue up front because the front wheels turn) but that's a lot of bother for three screws per guard!!

How did you do it???
    Has anyone installed the engine heater I seen listed at the various parts outlets? It's fairly cheap (less than $40) but I was wondering if it was worth it?

Thanks!!
    Did you try a stubby screwdriver? If that doesn't work, then you'll have to remove the wheels.
  • jgr82jgr82 Member Posts: 1
    I installed the mudguards on the front and rear with no problem. For the front tires get in and turn your wheel opposite directions to be able to fit a screwdriver in there. You will have to change direction for each front side but its easy then. No need to remove tires.
    That's what I did too BUT what about the rear guards?? You can't turn those tires and there's no way you can get your hand and your screw driver in that tight space.
    I finally got all the mud guards install. Like I said, the front ones weren't bad; you just turn the steering wheel to gain access BUT the rear guards were nearly impossible to install. After several hours of struggling, I finally got the right guard installed. As for the left guard, I removed the tire. I should have done that for the right one too. The next time I'd let the dealer to it :sick:

On the Elantra with the wider, larger alloy wheels (SE),unless you have very small hands or special tools, it's all but impossible to install the rear guards without removing the wheel!!!
  • durtybyrdzdurtybyrdz Member Posts: 11
    Took my elantra to the tire shop and the guy there removed the tires and installed them for a tip ($8). Yeah, I could've jacked the car myself and done the same but he had the tools and it was done in like 10 minutes. ;)
    What I want to know is how [doohickie] did his mud guards (front and rear) without removing the rear tires?? :confuse: Without very little hands or special tools, I can't see how it could be done??
  • nkmonty1nkmonty1 Member Posts: 33
    Ok here I go again. I am interested in replacing the original cassette player with a CD player and Satellite. Any suggestions in the brand of the CD Player? I still have the original speakers and dont plan to change them until I hear how the new equipment is being played. I know that Sirruis is the sattellite company.
    If anyone out there can help please reply to me.
    Thanks so much for your replies.
    Nan :)
    What I want to know is how [doohickie] did his mud guards (front and rear) without removing the rear tires?? Without very little hands or special tools, I can't see how it could be done??

I don't have mudguards. I just suggested that maybe a stubby screwdriver might save you from having to remove the wheels, but I said you might have to remove the wheels anyway.
    There is a guide to replacing the stock stereo in 01-06 Elantras (put together by me). You may want to consult the guide about how to trim them out, since most leave a bit of a gap between the dash fascia and the stereo faceplate. It's a simple task to make it look halfway decent if you don't like the gap.

The guide covers more of the physical aspect and doesn't recommend any specific brand. I have a Pioneer head unit and it's pretty good. Basically, any single-DIN size head unit will fit. If you don't plan on replacing your speakers right away, just go with a basic stereo that puts out about 20 watts per channel rms (50 watts peak).
    My mistake; it was jgr82 who made the statement.
  • butterflytiffbutterflytiff Member Posts: 26
    Hello all. I noticed that the passenger vanity mirror light comes on during the day/night when you open the mirrow - but on the drivers side it only comes on at night. Is this normal?
  • priv8warriorpriv8warrior Member Posts: 13
    I used a right angle screw driver, it has a phillips on one side and a regular on the other - looks like a elongated Z.
  • mariogpmariogp Member Posts: 20
    I Can't take these seats anylonger... very uncomfotable to me...
    does anyone know if it's possible to change the seats.. either from afternarket place.. or rven the boneyard.. is either this or LOOSE big on a trade..

Funny thing is that my wife has a 2000 model.. and to me that seat is better then the onw on the 2007. personal taste..and back problems.. not implying that these seats are bad for everyone else.
  • fargondfargond Member Posts: 23
    I just purchased an 08 Elantra SE.

It comes with the alloy wheels.

I was considering purchasing wheel locks for it, and have found a couple web sites that have a set in the $18 to $24 range.

However I seem to find conflicting compatible part numbers and pictures and descriptions that go along with them and was wondering if anyone else has purchased them and know what the correct ones are for my vehicle.

Basically, I see 2 sets advertised. The copper-bronze colored ones that are very short, and an all-chrome really long set.

I assume since I have the alloy wheels on the SE the correct ones are the all-chrome ones to match the existing chrome nuts or doesn't it matter, other than for appearance?

I see them referred to as "with center cover" and "without center cover". I assume with means the chrome ones and without refers to the bronze ones?
    Also, I am considering buying a cargo net for the SE.

I have found 1 site that claims to have the correct oem part number for the SE. Theirs is a net that includes 2 bolts with plastic T's on the end that go into the upper sides behind the blinkers, replacing a bolt that's already there. The net is a "U" shaped net. You spread it apart and the items stay upright and squished from the sides up against the back of the trunk.

I have found other sites selling more of an SUV type net that attaches more towards the floor and you lift up to put stuff under it. I don't really think these are the real correct net and might require mods to mount it?

Does anyone here have the factory net installed and know the correct part number for it? Does it cross with other cars like Accent or Sonata or are they different sizes? (I have only found 1 site with an 07/08 Elantra net part #, while most have tons of nets for the other models in Hyundai's line and wonder if they're really the same thing)

Thanks
  • nareknarek Member Posts: 37
    I'm a little concerned about the lack of body moldings on my '08 Elantra. I love the lines, but there's no way I'm going to escape the parking lot car door/shopping cart dings for very long without something to help protect the car. Has this been an issue with anyones '07-'08 Elantra?

I saw aftermarket body moldings for '07-'08 Elantras on eBay for about $130. They are painted to match and don't look bad at all in the picture. Has anyone installed anything like that on their '07 or '08 Elantra? Anything I should consider when purchasing or installing aftermarket side body moldings?
    Tell me about it -- 10 days after I got mine, someone must have swung their door into it hard at the grocery store. First new car for me, and first door ding anywhere near this bad; of course :(

2 little dimples in the bottom (that should cost $50 each to pop out) but a long folded metal dent in the top that scraped the paint. Estimate is about $200 or more on that one as the door will have to be disassembled, metal 'worked' and then re-clearcoated at the very least, hopefully nothing else.

Comparing the deflection of the metal on the Elantra against our 05 Tucson, and it seems the Elanta is a thinner metal and much more apt to flex with a light touch as compared with the Tucson. Did they get cheap with this recently?
    Ouch. On a 10 days new car?? I think I'd cry if I had that happen!

I'm going to order the side moldings I saw on eBay next week. My husband can install them. I just can't even think about that first ding or dent happening so soon.

The Elantra metal doesn't seem any less sound than on my Honda Pilot. My wonderful husband dinged my Pilot within the first two weeks with a ladder he was using to wash the top. I still love him for washing my car for me, but I've been looking at that small ding on my driver side door for more than 4 years now. :D

Still looking for anyone with experience adding side moldings to an '07 or '08. I'd like to read your story!
  • gomst1gomst1 Member Posts: 58
    I have purchased the door body side mouldings on Ebay for my daughters 2008 Elantra however, I am still waiting for the shipment to arrive. I will post again later after installation.
  • ez888ez888 Member Posts: 39
    Hi! Anyone know what a Hyundai dealer charges for the manufacturer mud guards/flaps and installation? I know they are $85 msrp per the website- not sure if they would charge anything to install them.

I just don't feel like doing this on my own.

Just wondering.

Thanks.
    Eric
    $85 MSRP is quite high. Then add labor on top of that.

There are 2 Hyundai parts web sites where you can buy the OEM front pair and rear pair for $14-$15 per pair, plus $8-$9 shipping. Meaning about $38 total including shipping.

Installation is really easy, and CAN be done by someone with no car knowledge but has at least assembled put-together-furniture :). I did them on my 05 Tucson and will be ordering them for my 08 Elantra SE shortly from one of these sites.

The front is very easy, just twist the wheels to gain access and use a stubby philips screwdriver.

The rear ones are a bit tougher as the clearance to the wheel is tight. However if you get a thumb ratchet screw driver you can easily do it without needing to remove the wheel.

It's a 30 minute install assuming you have a small philips screwdriver. It really is easy.
    good point about doing it yourself. i consider myself pretty handy. i think i'll try it on my own. i know once i buy them, i can figure it out, but just curious- do you have to drill holes for the screws or are they pre-drilled? i have no problem taking off the back wheels as well- will actually be good to get familiar with it if i ever have to change a tire.

thanks!
    ez
    what are the sites? if they can't be listed here, can you pm me with them? is one preferred over the other?

thanks.
    eric
    Completed installation of Body Side Mouldings bought from Ebay. Installation was straightforward, easy however, the 3M double sided tape used seems to be a little bit thicker than the factory door mouldings I installed on my '06 Avalon. I say this because I could see some of the double sided tape betwwen the door metal & the mouldings but the color match was excellent. If interested on the Installation instructions, you can find it here http://www.dawn-ent.com/install/fe-ela07.htm
    Thank you so much for posting your experience! :)

It looks easy enough and I'm happy to hear the color match was excellent. I haven't had a chance to order my moldings yet, but I will soon.
    Here are the 4 cheapest sites I found for mud guards for the 08 Elantra (and most other OEM accessories) * Price is PER pair, either front or back. (need both to do the whole car)

These 2 are the cheapest "Regular" online stores. i.e. those with a friendly web site, some pictures (though may not be entirely accurate), etc..

http://hyundaipartspeople.com -- $15.00 + $8.95 shipping total ($38.95)
    http://hyundai.dealerfit.com -- $14.04 + $7.95 shipping total ($36.03)

These links lead you to a normal store with similar prices to the above, BUT there are links to go directly to a OEM parts catalog. If you order by the exact part number, you save. You need to be 100% sure of the part number, and they make you furnish your VIN to verify to prevent you from buying and then returning wrong parts. Both link you to the same parts database/probable drop-ship location, just different 'store front'.

http://hyundai.partsdirect.com -- $12.25 + $9.95+ shipping total ($34.45 though may be higher--this was a baseline and they said it could be adjusted AFTER ordering)
    http://hyundai-parts.com -- $12.50 + $6.50 shipping total ($31.50 !)

Obviously, I ordered from the last one. I also ordered the elusive cargo net for $17.50 with no extra shipping (most don't have the 07/08 proper net, only the older model ones or none in stock).

As far as I could tell through numerous web site verifications, here are the correct Hyundai OEM part numbers for the Elantra:

Cargo net: U8170-2H000 (08 specific -- 07 seemed to vary from a couple diff # but theoretically shouldn't since it should have the same chassis/post mounts?)
    Front Pair Mud Guards: 08460-2H100 (07 or 08)
    Rear Pair Mud Guards: 08460-2H500 (07 or 08)
    fantastic. thanks for the legwork! i'm going to take a look and order soon. the dealers in my area are still out of stock. i wonder if some of these places will be as well.

thanks again!
    eric
    Hi, I'm looking for a cargo net and mat for my '08. I could not find the cargo net on any of the sites you linked to, including the last one which I assumed you purchased yours from. Can you link directly to the page where you found the cargo net, please?

btw, your 3rd link does not work for me at all.
    All but the 3rd link worked. I accidentially had an extra . in the third link. It should be "hyundaipartsdirect.com". I can't link directly to the page since it's a search to trigger it.

The Cargo net is not on many sites. The 3rd and 4th site above have it but you need to search the parts catalog by part # only, not browse the normal graphical showroom. When you connect to either site, the process is the same.

On the 3rd link'd site, on the right lower frame it says: "OEM Parts Catalog" and a little below it it says: "2. Search by Factory Part Number"

Or, on the 4th site, there is a link on the left side of the page that says: "Genuine Hyundai Parts" "Hyundai Replacement Parts". Click that link and a new frame will appear, hosted by "TradeMotion" (same for either site).

In the search field, enter the Hyundai OEM part number for the cargo net (U81702H000) and select "Hyundai" in the (select make) drop-down list. Click search and the following should appear:

----------
    Item Number MSRP Core Price Price
    U81702H000 $25.00 $0.00 $17.50 (or $17.15 for the other site)

CARGO NET- HD ELANTR
    ----------

The 4th link above is the cheaper shipping link. I was able to order all 3 items for only $6.50 shipping vs. $10 or more at the other link.

Also, you can find the net at PartsPeople site for $17.50 + $8.95 shipping:
    http://hyundaipartspeople.com/SearchProduct.asp?Model=Elantra&catid=340532945968- - 9994&year=08&productdesc=Trunk+Cargo+Net
    Thanks! Following your directions I found both the cargo net and mat, and ordered both from the 4th site just now. :)

I also ordered the aftermarket body side mouldings from that ebay seller. Should have all by next week.
    I ordered the front and rear mud guards as well from Hyundai-parts. For the others that ordered them, do you how long shipping takes?

Also, I looked into the cargo mat and cargo tray for the 2008 Elantra. I didn't order either yet, but thought I'd list the part numbers I got from Hyundai just in case someone wanted them.

2008 Elantra Cargo Mat: 081452H000
    2008 Elantra Cargo Tray: U81202H000
    I just placed my order yesterday morning (just before I posted the summary after a fair amount of research). I will let you know when I receive my order. Everything shows "on order" for me.

The word I got from 1 other site plus one ebay seller is that the mud guards are on backorder and not expected in until early august. I think a poster above said the same thing they heard from their dealer. I dont know if this site is any different.

In any case, the savings was so considerable on both shipping and the guards themselves, throwing in the net cost almost nothing comparably. If it takes a while to come in I guess that's fine. Wish I would have found this 2 months ago when I got the car!
    i'll post here too if i hear anything about my order. mine shows "processing" or something like that.

i know what you mean about being out of stock maybe. plenty of dealers have the front guards but no rears. i even called some charlotte dealers as i was there for business the last 3 weeks- they said they had them on order for almost a month already. we'll see i guess. i just want them asap so i don't have to worry about issues with pebbles or the darn asphalt the've been throwing down to repair the roads around here.

i also may pick up the cargo tray for the trunk as well. it seems decent since we always throw a lot of crap back there that may be muddy or wet. we'll see though.

so far so good with the car- very fun!

enjoy!
    ez
  • baddaybadday Member Posts: 10
    Hi, I went to the 4th site and tried to order the mud guards but it doesn't show what color it is, how do you guys get the color that matches the color of your car?
    i was told the only color for the oem mud guards are black. i remember seeing them on the dealer lot on various colored cars and i think they all were black.
    I received my moldings today from an eBay seller (sportwing). Oddly enough everything was marked Dawn-Ent on the instructions and box. They must just drop-ship for them. I paid less than Dawn's own price :)

However.. I actually am a bit disappointed in them - they were not what I exactly expected. I haven't installed them yet, but they are nowhere near the "bulk" I expected to get. I don't honestly see how they will be adding much depth to the door to take the hit from another errant door instead of the rest of the metal itself (depending on the shape of the door that might hit mine of course).

I have had other cars with much thicker moldings, meaning thicker sticking out farther from the metal, plus wider as well. The pictures seemed to make it appear they were bigger than they are.

Anyway, as soon as I get my $300 damage that I already have on the door repaired (since it's just above, under and below -- yes, 3 spots -- where I will be installing this molding on) I will get this installed to hopefully provide a bit better protection.

Again, for $135 shipped, I am a bit disappointed in what they actually are. But we'll see if they help once I can get them installed.
  • baddaybadday Member Posts: 10
    Thanks, ez888!!
    I guess it is better than no protection at all. That's the only door mouldings available for this vehicle at this time.
  • marlenelinmarlenelin Member Posts: 87
    Does anyone know where I can purchase seat covers for the front and rear seats of an 08 Elantra SE. I've tried several from Pep Boys and they do not fit properly on the front seats, and the rear doesn't fit at all. My interior is light gray and I would like to have the seats covered since my 19 year old daughter will be driving the car, and she is an artist/swimmer/slob. Thanks Marlene
    i ordered my mud guards on 6/27 and they were at my door on 7/10. i installed them this afternoon. as others said, i turned the front wheels and installed the front guards. then i took the wheels off for the rears. not too bad. actually was good to be familiar with how to remove the wheels on the car; however, pretty much no different than other cars. i installed the guards and even got a good cleaning on the rims while the wheels were off- wow it's easy that way.

enjoy.
    ez
  • kravonkravon Member Posts: 30
    Do you have to drill holes or just remove the screws currently there and put the mud guards in place?
    no hole drilling- just removing and replacing screws like you said. there is on screw that comes with an anchor type thing for the bottom screw of the rear guard. you'll see why you have to use that one. everything was extremely easy.
  • jessie14jessie14 Member Posts: 2
    I have replaced my rain guards at least 3 times. No matter what I do it seems to fall off. I have used “special” glue, “special” double-sided tape, and cleaned the area where I would eat off it…everything! Does anyone else have problems with their rain guards or is it just me?
    I am looking to get a hitch on my 2008 Elantra to only use it for a bike rack. I already have a trunk rack that I use, but would prefer a hitch rack as you still have easy access to the trunk.

I looked online and found some affordable hitches. Anyone install one? Or anyone go through your dealer for one? I'm thinking Class 1 is good enough. Am I right?

Thanks!
    Eric
This discussion has been closed.