Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• 1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    "I'm thinking about changing the rotors."

You might be on to something there. I noted up in post 1972 that I just put new tires on my wife's Elantra, and had an alignment done at the same time and my shimmy went away. What I forgot to mention was I put new brakes and rotors on the same day that I had the tires installed. I went with a set of Napa rotors that were a little more expensive than the base Napa rotors. I had the same shimmy problem with it at highway speeds, but now it is completely gone - and I have had the car up to about 80 on the highway since installing all of these new items. A few weeks prior to all of this, we had driven the car on a 900 mile round trip, and the shimmy was very annoying (although we averaged 39mpg).
  • smith20smith20 Member Posts: 256
    My '04 Elantra does not have a shimmy when cruising at highway speed, but when I apply the brakes at high speeds it does have slight vibration which I can imagine what the shimmy is like. I do not experience this all at lower speed braking. So my experience maybe corresponds to what you're saying about the rotors.

My question is, how do you think the rotors could cause the shimmy while the brakes are not being applied? I only have a cursory knowledge of how the brakes actually work, so please forgive me if this is an obvious question.
  • ems1ems1 Member Posts: 48
    1racefan: Thanks for the input. The weather is supposed to be nice here this weekend. I think I will do new brakes and rotors. They only have a few 1,000 miles left anyway.

Backy: Yes, I know it is under warrantee. Trying to get anything done correctly at the dealer is a waste of time. In this situation it is more trouble than it is worth. I took it to them when the car was under 10,000 miles with the same shimmy problem. They balanced the wheels and said it was fixed. It wasn't and it wasted half a day for nothing. They don't bother testing on the highway. I hate to let them off the hook but they can just wear you down.
    "My question is, how do you think the rotors could cause the shimmy while the brakes are not being applied?"

I am by no means a brake expert either, but If the rotor were not a uniform thickness all the way around (in other words, if a portion of the rotor had worn thinner than other parts) I imagine it could cause a vibration as the rotor spins with the wheel.

Can anyone verify this theory?
    "I hate to let them off the hook but they can just wear you down."

I have had similar experiences with our local service department. We like our Elantra, but the service dept has left a lot to be desired. Sure, I can go to a different Hyundai dealer for service, but I shouldn't have to be inconvenienced by having to drive way out of my way to get my car serviced.
  • ems1ems1 Member Posts: 48
    Since I tried rotating the tires, rebalancing the tires, and even new tires and the shimmy does not go away, I'm beginning to think it may not be the tires. That leaves the brake rotors as the most likely problem. They weigh about 10 pounds and could be off balance probably from a bad casting. I remember about 15 years ago, there was a balancing system that would spin your front wheel on the car to be sure the whole assembly was balanced properly. I think that system disappeared when front drive cars became dominant but it seemed like the good idea.
    I could be wrong about the rotors but it is worth $85 and about an hour of my labor to rule them out.
  • cuteraquelcuteraquel Member Posts: 10
    Hi, I am considering purchasing an 06' Elantra GT Hatchback. Are there any people that have purchased this vehicle that can give advise?

Like: leather, alloys, fog lights, horse power on automatic compared to others, roomy.

Dislikes: seats seem a little small and not so cushiony, seems it wouldn't be able to drive at high speeds in freeway, might take it a bit more to get up to speed when entering freeway.

Thanks!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I have a '04 GT with automatic--same car. I find the seats, especially the driver's seat, very comfortable. Not cushiony, though. Good seats are supportive and firm, not pillow-soft. You will appreciate the firmness on long drives, and also all the seat adjustments like dual-knob height adjuster and lumbar support.

How fast do you need to drive on the freeway? It can easily go 80+. If you want less noise/lower revs on the highway, go with the automatic. Acceleration is on a par with others in its class. The 5-speed was clocked at just over 8 seconds by some of the auto mags. Best way to find out if it has enough power for you is to take it on a test drive that includes freeways.
  • doohickiedoohickie Member Posts: 949
    I have cloth seats and they are firmer than the sofas in my wife's Taurus (which always leave me sore after long trips). I will be taking my new 05 on a 300 mile trip Friday; I guess I can let you know after that if the seats are good for long trips.

As far as acceleration, that was one of my big concerns when I test drove the car. Strangely, it seems to accelerate much more quickly with moderate throttle position than when flooring it, at least when starting from dead stop (I have an AT). Now that I've driven the car enough to get used to it and appreciate the pep it has, I've taken to calling it the Red Rocket. Okay, laugh, but it really is fine as far as the freeway ramps go! One thing about the accleration, at least with the AT, is that it is very smooth at normal pedal positions (i.e., not all the way to the floor), I think because the car has a pretty smooth torque curve. On city streets if I'm not being particularly speedy, I can't hardly tell when the tranny shifts; it's that smooth.

The point is that when acceleration is that smooth and you're not getting jerked around a lot, you don't realize how quickly you're acclerating. My friend's Jaguar is *very* smooth, but it's also *very* quick. But someone sitting in the back seat would never know you just did 0-60 in 8 seconds; it feels like just a normal stroll in the park.
    I've done it a few times and it seems like there's about 2 gal left in the tank when the light comes on- so maybe another 50-60 miles. I've driven about 40 miles after the light came on and still had over a gallon left.
    seems it wouldn't be able to drive at high speeds in freeway

Why would you to think that? . . . unless your definition of "high speed" is 120mph. Do you currently drive a large car with a V8 engine or something like that? It sounds like you aren't used to small cars with four cylinder engines in general since you "like" that the Elantra has "horse power on automatic compared to others", yet at the same time your "dislike" is "might take it a bit more to get up to speed when entering freeway".

Bit more time than what? A Corvette? The answer is yes. Bit more time than other 4 cylinder small cars? Not really.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Having owned an '02 GLS with a 5spd and now with an '05 GT with automatic, I think I can help here.

The GT will ride a bit firmer than the GLS, but not to the point of being "stiff". The GT will corner with less body roll.

The seats in both are quite comfortable on long trips. Both the cloth and leather seats have the same adjustments for tilt, recline, and lumbar support. One big difference is that the leather makes it easier to get out of the car as the fabric is quite good at keeping you in your seat. A small thing, but a lady in a dress would definitely notice the difference.

Noise wise, the GT has a bit more road noise from the back due to the hatchback. Not bad, but the sedan is eerily quiet, so the difference is noticeable. Neither will have appreciable wind noise at highway speeds.

Ah, the great auto vs manual debate. The 5spd will out accelerate the auto, hands down. Where the big difference is noticed is from a standstill. As others have mentioned, the auto is a little slow to wind up, but once you are around 20mph the acceleration is good. The auto does turn fewer engine revs on the highway due to a different final drive ratio in the transaxle.

The four wheel disc brakes on the GT are really not much different than the disc front / drum rear on the GLS. A good brake design only uses the rear brakes to keep the car straight while braking, which is why most cars will go through several sets of front brakes to one set of rear.

Final opinion: Both the GLS and GT are excellent values for the content provided, and both are very solid cars that drive well and provide good fuel economy on both city and highway driving. My '02 routinely achieved 28mpg in town and 34mpg highway. The '05 GT with the auto gets 26mpg in town, and also around 34mpg highway.

And both will cruise comfortably well beyond the legal speed limits.

Jim
    Thanks for your input. I don't drive a stick shift so auto would be for me. Road noise doesn't bother me. I have had a four cylinder car before but it was a very old toyota with tons of miles on it and that was probably more the reason why it was hard to get it to follow trafic flow. It also had a starter problem that required two people to get it going and you can just imagine how embarassing it was to ask total strangers passing by to help me start my car! :blush: But I guess being a cute young girl helps ;) I was glad when it got towed away :sick: and I had to start taking the public bus. Here in Dallas public transportation is Great! Finally saved enough money to put a decent downpayment on a car and get a good finance rate 4.95%, so I want to make sure that the car I pick is a good one.

Cars I am considering: new ford fusion, new mercury milan (fusions twin brother), scion xa, scion tc, toyota matrix, mazda3, and the elantra gt.

My husband gets special pricing on all these cars because he works for TI. Cheapest one is the scion xa, then elantra, then mazda3, then scion tc, then toyota matrix, then ford fusion, then mercury milan.

-Thanks!
    Wow! That's quite an ecletic mix of cars! I think you'll find cars like the Elantra GT, Mazda3 (5-door), and Matrix will provide the most versatility--although the Scions are hatches also. You have a fun decision to make.

On the Elantra GT, be sure to look at the GLS 5-door also. Same underpinnings as the GT, but lower price and w/o a few things like leather, purple gauges, fog lamps, and alloys.
    awww but those are the things I like! :P

Before I started looking for a car I knew absolutly nothing about cars. Being a girl, didn't help but I just could never keep car related info in my head long enough to remember anything. Now I know so much about cars I think I could sell them for a living! :P

Aslo looking in on the Sonata. I am worried that even though I know alot about cars (what means what, abs, airbas, stability control, etc.) that I don't know enough about the manufacturer to know if it will be a good car in the long run.

-Thanks
    I have had a four cylinder car before but it was a very old toyota with tons of miles on it and that was probably more the reason why it was hard to get it to follow trafic flow.

It probably was only rated for 90-100hp to begin with and if something was wrong with it the actual output could have been even less. I think you'll find any of the cars on your list, or really any car sold today, has plenty of power for normal driving needs.
    Since you are looking at the Fusion/Milan, it's a good idea to look at the Sonata, especially with the generous rebates and discounts available on it--and it has the best standard safety equipment in its class. And its fuel economy (I4) is about the same as the automatic Elantra's.
    WOw cool thanks! Hy husband did get into the Sonata when I went to test drive the Elantra, but at the time I hadn't considered a midsize sedan. I was looking at compact cars. I think I will do another go by the Hyundai dealership and take another look at the Sonata. Lots of people have said nice things about it. Thanks!
    . . . and just to add that the '06 Sonata is newly redesigned whereas the '06 Elantra is in the last year of its current generation.
  • readonlyreadonly Member Posts: 25
    After I filed the complain in the local general attorney office, which was then transferred to the dept. of agriculture and comsumer services. Today I received a call from Hyundai USA headquarters, was told to make me have a piece of peace mind, they would like to give me a free extended warrenty. A little weird, I filed complain for the local Hyundai dealership service, but in the end, it was taken care of by the Hyundai company. Anyway, I am quite happy with the final result.
    That's a good deal, those Hyundai extended warranties run about $1000 for an Elantra. The engine would be covered for 10/100k anyway, but it's good that they did something to make you happy (and drop the legal action!).
  • ccokieccokie Member Posts: 1
    Could anyone tell me if there is a relay on the cruise control modual, I have insalled a new control modual but it still does not work.
  • hekst5hekst5 Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,
    I have a 2003 Elantra, and my right rear brake light is dead; I need to know how to access the bulb to replace it (I already bought the replacement), but don't know how, and the manual is unclear. Does anybody have any experience or pointers on where to look or unscrew?
    Thanks
    Henry
  • averigejoeaverigejoe Member Posts: 559
    Might be a warranty claim. Call your dealer.
    Through the trunk. Pull the trunk liner on the side with the dead light and you will see the see the mounting screws. Remove the screws, pull firmly on the lens and the rest wiil be obvious.

Jim
  • hekst5hekst5 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Jim! I got the bulb changed today; it was pretty straightforward and easy.
    Henry
  • miamixtmiamixt Member Posts: 600
    Now if you're getting really adventurous try doing a Headlight next! I was just at my dealer yesterday getting my 1 Year major servicing done, and talking about the time my Excel's Headlight filled up with 50% water. It could have used a single Fish. When I pulled into the dealer, a mechanic spotted it right away and started laughing. I should have given him the "Bright Treatment", however would have blown a fuse!. It's amazing when your Car only has 2950 Miles on it, they don't even go into the "Drawer of Charges", where it lists the hefty prices for the Annual major dealer Servicings. Happy Birthday to my Elantra!
    A squeaking noise popped up at about 45K miles on my wife's '02 Elantra (currently has 70K on it). The squeaking noise sounded like it was coming from one of the moving parts in the drum assemblies, not from the shoes themself (keep in mind I am no brake expert). We asked the dealer about this when it originally started, and were told it was due to brake dust accumulating in the drums, and it would go away if we had them cleaned and adjusted. Whe had them go ahead and clean and adjust them, and after a couple of weeks, the squeak was back. We just assumed it was something specific to the drum design and the accumulation of brake dust, and have just been living with it.
    Well, this past weekend I was an independent shop getting an oil change and state inspection, so I asked the mechanic to tell me what was causing the squeak. He showed me where the rear wheel brake cylinders were leaking on each drum, and he said those were the cause of the squeak. I am having him replace the cylinders today, along with the rear shoes (since he is in there anyway). I assume these started leaking back at 45K when the squeak first started. I just wish the Hyundai dealer had caught them back when the car was still under the bumper to bumper warranty, instead of just cleaning and adjusting the drums and sending my wife on her way.
    The issue your dealer described usually happens with 10K miles of a brake shoe replacement. It is highly unlikely that your wheel cylinders have been leaking for 25K miles as you would have seen fluid loss from the master cylinder as well as brake fluid accumulations on the wheels. The dealer would have had no reason to not replace the wheel cylinders if he found them leaking as they would have been covered under warranty and he would have been paid for the job.

I can tell you from experience that if the cylinders were leaking badly you would not have passed a state inspection here in Texas as they really do check to see if the emergency brake will hold the car. If the wheel cylinders are leaking either the car will move with the emergency brake applied, or it will make the most incredible noise when the shoes chatter on the drums due to the brake fluid allowing slippage.

Losing wheel cylinders at 70K is not unheard of on a car, but still a bit of a hassle.
    Is there anything that would cause the wheel cylinders to fail besides normal wear and tear? For example, driving with the E brake on? Can't complain too much - $145 to replace both cylinders and shoes.
    Generally just wear and tear. Every time you apply the brakes the seals in the cylinders slide back and forth and over time they wear down. As soft as the material is, it is amazing how long they last! Obviously, if most of your driving is in town, or stop and go, the wear will be more pronounced for the miles driven.

And you are correct in your statement of not complaining on the cost. Ask someone who has had that repair done on a Toyota or Honda what it cost.
    The Texas state inspection is only as good as the tech performing it. I've taken my car to the same place for several years precisely because they "overlook" certain issues like the worn tires on the Aspire I was getting ready to sell and didn't want to put new rubber on.
    Very true on Texas inspections. We are in our first year of "enhanced" inspections with emissions testing. One year inspection now costs about $28.50. All because we are adjacent to Travis county (Austin).
  • iman4iman4 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I have a 2001 Elantra and its right front tire is going nuts when I am going like 60 down the highway. Also, I can still hear it when I am going 5 miles an hour too, but a lot less then when I am going faster. When I turn the steering wheel, it gets louder and if I turn it the other way, it gets softer but if I turn it too far that way, it gets very loud. (this is when I am going 60 down the highway) The steering wheel also shimmys a little bit too. It also pulls to the right when I leave my hands off the steering wheel. I heard that you can't do an alignment on this car, is that true? If so, what could be the problem? I rotated the tires and its still there. Its only coming from the right front wheel whatever tire I have on there. Please help. Thanks
    Get your car seen by a mechanic immediately. If the vibration is as pronounced as you say, it could be a wheel bearing or CV joint coming apart. Don't just keep driving a car at speed when the wheel is "going nuts"!

These cars can have a complete 4 wheel alignment. How many miles are on your car, and have you nailed any curbs or potholes with the right front?
  • jwiemhoffjwiemhoff Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a used 2003 Elantra which has about 20,000 miles. It is fantastic in all ways (sunroof, spoiler, power windows, silver color, great CD), except for one thing that I found out about after purchasing: SEVER SHIMMY FROM 60-70 MPH. In looking through this forum,I am reading that many people are spending alot of their time and resources trying to solve the problem on their own.

Am I naive in thinking that since I purchased this car, that while I may not have the 100,000 mile warrantee as a second hand owner, that the 60,000 mile warrantee that I have inherited should mean that Hyundai should be able to correct this defect for me on my car?

Let me hear from those knowledgeable on this question.
    Thanks
    John W
    You don't have the 100,000 mile warranty as a second owner; that's clear cut. The 60,000 is transferrable.

You can see what Hyundai tells their dealers about wheel shimmy here. Click on "NVH", then "Wheel & Tire". They know it's a problem and tell their dealers how to fix it.

Good luck.
  • iman4iman4 Member Posts: 2
    Hi and thanks for the reply. I never hit anything with that wheel, it just got progressively worse over time. Its very loud too. I just came back from looking at it and I must say, I can actually see that the right front tire is like this... (The I's are the good tires and the "/" is the tire that is turned out a bit, looking down on the vehicle without the body in the way)...
    I /

I I

It must be like a half inch out of alignment. But the thing is, is that I was reading posts on here from before and everyone says you can't do an alignment on this car. I think you can though. It does pull to the right. Thanks,
    Of course you can do an alignment. But you may need some suspension work as well (bearings again, ball joints, tie rod ends, etc.)
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    Betsy and I passed the 62K mile mark a few days ago, with very little to report, other than the replacement of rear sway bar links (today), and the development of a new noise more than a week ago. Sounds like something is sliding around the gas tank when I am travelling at low speed and jab the brakes or the car has any sudden horizontal motion. Bouncing up and down doesn't produce the noise. On the hoist today, we found that pounding the bottom of the gas tank produces a clunk from whatever is in there. It's heavy enough to slide around the tank but not float. Waiting for dealer to call back; their service stinks. Has anyone had a part come dislodged in their tank?
  • 5port5port Member Posts: 395
    01 GT, 32K. I've havent had something come loose in my gas tank. I would like to ask why you replaced your rear sway bar links? Did they wear out?

I installed the Tib sway bar a couple years ago with metal links and have had no problem.
    Okay, I know several of you have done the rear sway bar swap, and have driven with it for a while. Opinions? And Jim, what happened to your links? I have heard both sides regarding the durability of the nylon/fiberglass links with the Tib bar installed. I am considering this mod for my '05 GT.

jim
    I can't answer the durability issue, but I've done the mod within the last month and can shed some light:

Part numbers. You need the following parts to do just the sway bar (Hyundai Dealer part numbers):

Bar (1 req'd): 55511-2C000
    Bushings (2 req'd): 55513-2C110

I paid $82 for the bar and $10 each for the bushings at a dealer. I quoted several dealers and the prices were significantly higher at others. So shop around.

I did just the sway bar at first because the end links seemed kind of expensive. To install just the sway bar and bushings, you don't even need to jack the car up; you can get full access just by sliding under. On a new car, it takes literally about 10 minutes.

After checking around I found more reasonable prices on the end links. To do the end links as well, you need to buy 2 of one the following part numbers:

Hyundai Dealer Part No.: 55530-29500 ($25-35 each)
    Moog Part No.: K90360 ($15.99-18.99 each)
    TRW Part No.: 18343 ($11.48 each)

Moog and TRW parts are available at auto parts stores; ask for prices on each part number because a store may sell both lines. I bought the TRW end links and guess what: they're made by Moog anyway (TRW box with Moog markings on the part)... so buy the cheaper one, they're the same. Not sure if I'm allowed to say where I bought them, but name of the store means "to go forward" and begins with "a".

To do the end links you need to remove the wheels to get access to the upper end of the end link, so you have to jack up the car. Put it on jack stands because if you just jack up one corner at a time (one wheel in the air and one on the ground), you load up the sway bar and make the job harder than it needs to be. Note that there is a grease fitting and the metal end links need to be lubed.

Is it worth it? Definitely. My biggest complaint with my new Elantra was its lean in corners. Does it make the Elantra a sports car? Sadly, no. The mod takes the car from clearly inadequate to okay. Putting an even bigger diameter sway bar on, such as the available 22 mm aftermarket part, is rumored to cause failure of tab the end link attaches to on the strut.

Is there any difference in feel between the plastic and metal end links? I suspect that objectively there isn't. But there seems to me to be a qualitatively different feel. The plastic end links seemed like they prevented roll to a point, then dumped it all in at once while the metal ones seem to make the car roll more gradually and predictably. This is a very subjective, non-scientific, one-time observation on my part.

In the end I decided to go with the metal links for the simple reason that when Hyundai put the 19 mm sway bar on the 03 Tiburon GT, they used metal end links. That does not say that the plastic ones can't take the load, but the only configuration that Hyundai used to put a 19 mm sway bar on had metal links. It could be that the plastic ones are more durable, but there is nothing from Hyundai either way about whether the plastic ones are okay.

Including end links, this cost me less than $140 dollars and was worth every penny.
    Thanks! Great info
  • gregorydgregoryd Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a brand new 2005 elantra 6 weeks ago-
    it now has 1000 miles on it.

1) I have a sulfur smell that permeates the car at times. I called the dealership and they say that the coating on the exhaust. It should go away- true?

2) I have a squeaky ?front seat- like a springy sound that occurs over bumps- what to do?

3) Most annoyingly- I feel acceleration is not consistent. Sometimes that car runs smooth- others times I feel I really have to push on the gas pedal with a very sluggish response. The tranny seems to downshift or become indecisive at times. Is this normal for the first 1000 miles?
    A sulfur smell is different to me than the characteristic scent of new Hyundais as the protective sealant on the undercarriage burns off the exhaust. Does it really smell like rotten eggs, or something else? If it's the rotten egg smell and the car still has it after 6 weeks, it may be something else. Some brands of gas cause that smell. I haven't noticed it before in my two Elantras, but I've noticed it on many other cars. If it's the sealant burning off, it will go away in the not too distant future.

Re squeaky seat, if I were you I'd show it to the dealer the next time you go in for service. Maybe a squirt of silicone lube is all it would take. Is it a GT? If so, I've noticed that sometimes the plastic cover on the seatbelt cable on the right side of the driver's seat will rub a bit on the leather and squeak a little bit. I can make it stop just by moving the seatbelt cable a fraction of an inch.

Re the sluggishness, I have no idea. I haven't noticed that kind of behavior on our GT with automatic. It is an adaptive automatic and does change shift points based on driver input. If different drivers drive the car with different pedal pressure, it might stumble while adjusting to the new driver but that is a guess. Could also be a problem to check out--could be related to the rotten egg smell--bad gas maybe?
    Backy is on target with regard to the smell and performance issues being related. As of late, the different brands of fuel here in central Texas are yielding varying performance, idle quality, and fuel economy. I have had good luck with BP, Texaco, Exxon, and of all things, HEB (Coastal Refining out of Corpus Christi). I drop 2-3 MPG and get a loss of performance and rough idle from Shell.
  • averigejoeaverigejoe Member Posts: 559
    If for any reason the catalytic converter is not doing its job you can also get a terrible sulfer smell.
    Backy posts some good stuff and is probably right, but I have a pretty much brand new Elantra and encountered similar stuff.

1) I have a sulfur smell that permeates the car at times. I called the dealership and they say that the coating on the exhaust. It should go away- true?

The was a nasty smell to my new Elantra for a few weeks; it eventually went away. I wouldn't describe it as "sulfur" though. I would let it ride for a bit and see if it gets better.

2) I have a squeaky ?front seat- like a springy sound that occurs over bumps- what to do?

I removed the back cover of the seat and tried lubing the springs and metal frame, as well as the pivots and pivot springs with silicone lube spray, but it didn't work. I finally isolated it to the seat belt latch. I could wiggle the seat belt back and forth and could hear it itching in the buckle. I sprayed some lube into the buckle opening of the latch and it went away instantly.

3) Most annoyingly- I feel acceleration is not consistent. Sometimes that car runs smooth- others times I feel I really have to push on the gas pedal with a very sluggish response. The tranny seems to downshift or become indecisive at times. Is this normal for the first 1000 miles?

I haven't seen that. However, I think these cars have some adaptive logic in the engine/transmission controls where it learns how you drive. If it was test-driven by several people it could be all messed up. I think to reset it you have to disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes, then after reconnecting, do a gentle acceleration, a moderate acceleration and a jackrabbit start. I have no idea if this will work but it's worth a try.
    As long as the engine is running smooth, no warning lights, no smoke, I wouldn't worry too much about it for the first couple of K miles. Many of us have found, myself included, that the mileage and performance improve after a good breakin time, say 2-4K miles and several months. I am sure there is a highly technical reason for this, but it beats me.

One theory: With the software controlled engines these days, and the 10/100 warranty, it would be quite easy to program the engine parameters to keep the performance at a slightly lower level until a few miles and or time have been accumulated. This is a cool way to protect the engine during break in and extend the long term life. Owners manuals have always had specific instructions regarding break in, and now the technology has advanced to where things can be somewhat managed by the car itself.