Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kw12345kw12345 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, can you share name of dealer and salesperson as well as how much accessories added to the cost? THanks.
  • joenyc111joenyc111 Member Posts: 28
    I've been cruising this forum for a while. I am ready for buy in the next 10 days. What is the lowest I can expect to pay to purchase a 2013 Honda Odyssey EX-L with RES?
  • shopper_100shopper_100 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the posts in this forum. It is my turn to feedback.

I bought a 2013 Ody EXL (no RES/NAV) with Shawn Rahimi Honda of Spring on 1/17/13. OTD price is $34000. Dealer added features are:

1. Nitrogen Tires
    2. Window Tint
    3. Door edge protection

I asked him to take off the protection package (splash guard, cargo tray and wheel lock), otherwise the OTD price will be $34300.

Zhao Guo @ Gillman Houston also provides the very similar price. He is straightforward and a very nice person to deal with.

Good luck!
  • ny_dealsny_deals Member Posts: 5
    joenyc111 - $34800(including destination fees) is the current market price in Brooklyn and
    $34,500(including destination fees) in Long Island for 2013 EX-L with RES.
  • chaozz1chaozz1 Member Posts: 49
    Nitrogen tires...HAHAHA costco does this for free.
  • jaycha2jaycha2 Member Posts: 40
    It was a painless purchase at deland. Here is a breakup

Sale price - $33205
    Tax 7%
    OTD - $35980 (transfer tag)

It came with appearance package.
  • hangover_24hangover_24 Member Posts: 11
    Hello guys, Please let me know if anyone has bought 2013 EX-L recently, if bought please share your experiences and price paid.
    Also, Let me know if anyone is interested in group buy.

thanks
  • captor8captor8 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I am in market for an Honda. I am interested in Touring (not elite). I got a quote for 38,498 pre-tax. Is that a good deal? Please comment.

Thanks,
  • canowpscanowps Member Posts: 16
    edited January 2013
    That's about 9% off MSRP. I'm also shopping for a non-elite Touring and 10% off is about the best deal that I'm seeing other people get. So I'd say it's a good deal. $500 more for a great deal.

>>> UPDATE! Concord Honda here in CA is listing their Touring's for $37691. That's 11% off without any negotiation.
  • rollins217rollins217 Member Posts: 10
    Just got a quote on a 2013 EX-L (no RES no NAV) in Richmond, VA:

Sale Price…………….…$31,932.00
    Processing Fee……….…$399.00
    Sales Tax 3%...................$969.93
    Tags/Title……………….$55.75
    DMV on line filing fee….$10.00

TOTAL………………….$33,366.68

Also got two quotes close to 32337 OTD from two Maryland dealers.

I think the Maryland dealer quotes are very good, but The Richmond dealer is 1 hour away, and the MD dealers are roughly 3 hours away.

Has anybody got quotes or purchased similar vehicle from these two markets lately? Can I get the Richmond dealer to come down close to the MD quotes? I appreciate any information regarding this.

Thanks.

HJS
  • albertjohnnalbertjohnn Member Posts: 19
    >>> UPDATE! Concord Honda here in CA is listing their Touring's for $37691. That's 11% off without any negotiation.
    May I have the link of this ad please? Thanks
  • reliablepreliablep Member Posts: 3
    I recently purchased 2013 Honda Odyssey EXL-RES. Dealer tried to sell me extended warranty for $1295---8y/ 100k. Is this reasonable offer? I saw on this forms somewhere people purchased for $900 same warranty but not sure which dealer? I have one week time to buy from the dealer and roll it over into my finance. Please let me k ow if I can get better deal.
  • bigtxbigtx Member Posts: 16
    Seems reasonable to me, I want to say I paid 1395 for that warranty on an elite so 1295 on an EXL Res seems plausible. If you can get a better deal it is going to be +/-$100 I would say. Google hondacare, there is a dealer somewhere that will email pricing which is what I used to get my dealer down. But make sure you are getting HondaCare and not some 3rd party warranty!
  • irwinyirwiny Member Posts: 4
    There is a listing in Craigslist Bay Area for 2013 touring elite that is lower than the Concord dealer discounted price. :)
    edited January 2013
    I've searched just now. Are you referring to a used Odyssey 2013 model? Can you give me the link that you are referring as a good deal?
    Is this the link? http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/3561206904.html
    Asking price is $45K+ inside the ad
  • carseeker11carseeker11 Member Posts: 3
    Hello,
    Thanks for the information in the forum - we negotiated for a 2013 Elite for 39,000+400 doc fee. Dealer will throw in remote starter ($400 installed). There is a 3rd party insurance offered for a lifetime power train warranty - is that something useful? Also how does the 0.9% financing work - is that dependent on the dealer or Honda directly - we have excellent credit (800)

Thank you!
  • jenniferinjomojenniferinjomo Member Posts: 2
    Help me out friends...

I have been quoted $38,500 OTD for a 2012 Touring Elite.
    It was a demo vehicle so it has 6,000 miles on it.
    Am I getting a good price or should I try to negotiate more bc of the mileage?

Thanks
  • bigtxbigtx Member Posts: 16
    It is a good deal. I think that is more than enough of a discount for the miles and takes it below cost for them more than likely
  • thejatheja Member Posts: 1
    Hi Jennifer,
    I would say thats a bad deal. I have got 2013 brand new with just 5 miles, Touring Elite for 39,000 in SFO bay area, CA and few free items. I wont suggest to take a car for 38,500 a car with 6000 miles on it. This deal happened just 2 days back.
    Agree - bought a brand new 2013 for about the same price with remote start, wheel locks and other freebies today - dealer mentioned that its easier for them to price the elites better then the other cars. Dealer had one 2012 left and was willing to price it even lower - but the color was not for us.
  • hondabuyer15hondabuyer15 Member Posts: 2
    Is the price 39000 excluding tax or out the door? Hope it is pre tax, still it is a good price. I may buy today or tomorrow for 41500 out the door. That is why I just want to make sure. Please let me know.
    Out of the door price. We also added on HondaCare for 8years/120k for $1485 based on a price match for an online quote.
    Second best price we got was 40,000 otd but no accessories.

Any thoughts on dealer offered leather protection packages? Quoted at 600 so not sure if it is value for money.
  • hondabuyer15hondabuyer15 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2013
    Thanks for the confirmation. 2013 touring elite with few options for 39000 out the door, thank god I would have paid 2500 more today. Could you send me the dealer detail. Also I live in 6.25% tax area. How much tax in your area, I think that is also matter.
    which dealer in SF Bay Area?
    Hello Friends, Please let me know if anyone has recently purchased Ex-L in bay area. I am interested to know the price paid. Also I am interested in group buy.
  • oddy2012oddy2012 Member Posts: 6
    I'm also in bay area thinking of getting a EX-L.....we can do a group deal as well, pm me.
  • ss2013ss2013 Member Posts: 2
    I am in the Bay area and interested in buying a 2013 EX or EX-L(if there is great deal). May I join the group buy?
    I am from the SF Bay Area, working on price with few dealers. Lets join together and get the best deal
    So far I got the lowest OTD offer for around $35K (need to check exact number from my emails) for 2013 EX-L with RES. Email me to form a group albert.johnn@gmail.com .
    Please mention your preferred trim, add-ons(like RES, NAVI etc), color etc.. I will put them together and ask for a Mega Deal :-) Thanks
  • usrichusrich Member Posts: 13
    I just purchsed a 2013 Odyssey EX-L with pro-pack (no RES or Nav). The OTD price is $34,100. Sale price is $31,613 + 6% tax + other fees.
    Hi userich, Can you please share your location and dealer.

Thanks
  • usrichusrich Member Posts: 13
    I'm in PA, not Bay area.
  • tomamutomamu Member Posts: 13
    Getting a 2013 Odyssey Touring in NJ for 40,000 OTD . Yet to buy the warranty for the van. No accessories. Is this a good price for NJ ?
  • 6passenger6passenger Member Posts: 9
    I am searching chicago market. Best quote on 2013 Touring I have so far is $37,543 plus TTL over at Valley Honda in Aurora. Anyone else have better luck recently?
  • vgmdvgmd Member Posts: 5
    Is this including tax, title and other dealer fees?
  • vgmdvgmd Member Posts: 5
    Alright Boys and Girls!
    I have used this forum to help me pay a good price for my odyssey and help me negotiate well... so here I am returning the favor. I will include my full experience including decision making about the odyssey.

1. WHY HONDA ODYSSEY?
    We have three kids now and decided to get a minivan. If you are on this forum, then we all know you need or want a minivan.
    We narrowed our choice down to the Odyssey and Sienna. I read reviews, auto comparisons and then actually saw and test drove both the cars at the dealerships "with the kids".
    Here's what we liked more about the odyssey (I'm comparing it to the Sienna):

+ Better seating for 8; the middle seat in the second row is more usable and convenient.
    + The seats are easier to maneuver - the second row as well as the third row.
    + Less plasticky interior
    + Better fuel mileage
    + Wife and kids liked it better.

Negatives:
    - more expensive
    - less options for the price
    - higher financing rate.

The price matters a lot but then it has to be more convenient and user friendly as we have to live with it with 3 kids...

2. LEASE OR BUY
    I actually wanted to lease a minivan so that I could get rid of it every three years as it is expected to take a beating (expect this to be our family room on the road)... but the lease on the odyssey touring was too expensive >650 with tax included. So when I did the math, it made a lot more sense to buy it at 0.9% financing for 5 yrs. I am paying a little under $700 all inclusive. So buying the Odyssey makes a lot more sense in my opinion.

3. PRICE PAID
    The lowest price I was quoted for the 2013 Odyssey touring was $37450 plus tax, dealer fees and DMV fees. This was by the dealer that I had visited for the test drive and this was his final best price after his initial best price of 38269.
    I still put out an enquiry over the internet but it was surprisingly not too helpful. Every response from every dealership just wanted to come in to the dealership to talk and they promised to give us a "great deal". They also promised to "beat" every "official quote" but no one really wanted to actually deal over the internet. Finally after talking to a few and having them give me quotes over email or phone, I couldn't really get any better numbers that 37400 incl Dest Fee.
    Then I said that I want to pay 36500 including dest fees. Finally one dealership agreed to sell one for 37800 incl DF if we came in right now. And guess what, we did. When we got there, the internet sales person was nowhere in sight and we were introduced to the "next" sales person in line who started with "How can I help you today, what car are you looking for?" We told him that we had already completed our negotiations and just wanted to finalize the deal...
    ...So now they check the inventory for the car that I want, and they tell me they have only one of that kind in stock (The internet sales person said they have two in the same color with a different interior and I could choose between the two).
    ...Then I said, I will just pick another color with the interior that I like. No problem. They have one of those in stock.
    ...Then they start with the price and offer to sell me the Odyssey for 39000... I was like, I have already been quoted 36800, I just want to see if you will give it to me for less... THEY WERE SHOCKED TO HEAR THAT PRICE! Then when I decided to walk out as I was already annoyed at the "bait and switch" tactics, they agreed to sell it at 37000... still off!
    ... then I notice all the accessories that they had on the vehicle and the dealer "package" that they had on the vehicle... unnecessary package and highly overpriced accessories. I refused to pay for those initially but they said that since the accessories have already been installed, they cannot be removed. So I offered to buy the car with the installed accessories but at a more reasonable price and without the dealer package. They agreed but still wanted 37300 in the end when I offered to pay 37100.
    ... so finally, NO DEAL as I was too annoyed with the poor sales tactics and I just walked out after the dealer wasting over two hours of my time.

Then went to another dealership down the road and told the salesman over there that this is the color that I want with this color interior and this is how much I am willing to pay and I do not want any dealer packages or accessories. After repeating this sentence about 10 times, I was able to get thru to this guy. They had the car that I wanted in stock and after 10 minutes of negotiations, we settled at 36700 plus tax and fees. Not bad but too good to be true.
    At the final sales number they added $589 for dealer appearance package (which included door edge guards and pinstripe sticker that goes around the car); $60 for Nitrogen in the tires; $350 for protection package (supposed to give a free key if it is lost, etching on the windows and couple of other unnecessary things) plus $400 dealer fees.
    By this time, I was exhausted and realized that all dealerships are going to be the same and they will want you to pay a certain price for the vehicle to them "regardless of what YOU buy it for"... I made them take of 500 from the "appearance pkg stating that I will not pay 500 bucks for a sticker on the car... still had to pay $89 for the door edge guards, the pin stripe sticker and installation.
    I could not get them to waive the protection package and the nitrogen in the tires. So, if I take the edge guards out (Honda website lists them at $55 plus installation), the real price of my car came to 36700+410 = 37110 plus fees and taxes, which is still overall not too bad for an MSRP of 42360 and this is lower than the TMV quoted by edmunds. I was able to finance it at 0.9% and my total monthly payment is about $693 without a penny out of pocket. They also threw in some free oil changes but I don't really care about that. The finance guy also tried to sell me extended warranties - Olypmicare and then HondaCare but both were too overpriced. I declined.

I am very turned off by the dealer sales tactics at Honda Dealerships. Before this I have only had experience with Lexus or German luxury automakers. The buying experience with them whether via internet or in person is truly different and they will not try to sell you overprices accessories or "special dealer packages" and if they do, they will easily back off. But none of them make a Minivan that is comparable to a Honda Odyssey.

Bottomline: Decide what you want, do your research and decide on the final price "you will be willing to pay" and not what you can get. Then go to the dealership (Honda and toyota don't really have the internet concept down well) and just tell them you want "this car" for "this price". If they can sell it to you for that much then OK, otherwise go to the next one. Do not waste any more time if they will not get to the point.

Let me know if I can answer any questions...
  • satishmsatishm Member Posts: 23
    edited February 2013
    Curious, given that this is the age of the internet and we have greater transparency into actual prices people pay, why would anyone not use a site like truecar or an auto buying service thru Costco/Sams club etc and get a guaranteed no negotiation out the door price before you even walk into the dealer?

I had very similar experience to yours about 4 cars ago; ever since, I resolved to conduct all my negotiations thru fax and email direct to the sales manager or the fleet manager at 10-20 dealerships in a 100 mile radius, and never ever set foot in a dealership other than for a test drive. I negotiate the price and have them send me a signed letter of agreement (or email) on OTD price. I bought two cars this way and was surprised how well it worked and the really low prices you get especially if you choose to reach out to dealers greater than 75 miles from your home area.

The last car I bought, I used truecar and was blown away by the guaranteed price with a certificate that you can walk in with to the 3 dealers and get it without any further hassle. The truecar price was a few hundred lower than the Costco price for the same car.

Now I am in the market for an Oddy Touring Elite and my local "test drive" dealer offerred a best price of $41K; however on truecar, I can find 3 dealers that will give it to me at a no negotiation cost of $39K and one over 200 miles away at a cost of $38.5K.

The car buying mechanism has changed for the better with truecar/Costco as it gives us greater control w/o getting caught in the stealership trap by visiting them and getting the usual sales tactics that make car salesman the least liked/trusted profession in america.

Ymmv, but try out truecar, you may be as pleasantly surprised as I was.

Satish

p.s: the lease quotes based on the above price for the touring elite were about $530 + sales tax per month w/ no money down and just 1st month payment and $300 fees. A really good place to get a Honda and see how low dealers can go is weymouth honda in boston; they give their OTD prices and show your lease/finance costs based on your credit rating.
    Weymouth Honda calculator
    Thanks for the tip on truecar.

Costco is great, it sets a nice bar and eliminates the fat. I've been able to get better but not by much.
    Yes. I picked up the car today. Everything included in that 40k not a penny more. Pls note 40k does not include extenteded warranty and I didn't opt for any accessories.
    Do u think it's a good price for NJ ?
  • amrhalemamrhalem Member Posts: 12
    Folks,

I was quoted for $38,000 for a 2012 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite Silver Van Passenger + taxes and other dealership fees.

Is that good price given its 2012 ? Please advice.
  • amrhalemamrhalem Member Posts: 12
    Very nice, can I ask which dealership is that ?
    Planet Honda. Sales person is Kaleem.
    So far two best prices I found on the touring are the internet price at Brilliance Honda in Crystal Lake $37,485 plus TTL. Email states dealer installed options are not included. So, hopefully there is no "game" there.

The other is the Costco price of $36,994. I don't know if that includes destination or not. I am hoping to confirm that tomorrow. If it includes destination it is pretty close to employee pricing. Ill post if anyone is interested.
    Please do post, thank you.
  • carbuyer2020carbuyer2020 Member Posts: 1
    Following the spirit of others, I'm paying it forward on our buying experience for a new Odyssey 2013. We test drove a few cars during the month and had contact with three different dealers in the area.

We only asked for the Out the Door price and got three different ones from 33400 - 33900.

We are in Virginia and went to Fairfax Honda two days before the end of the month.

It was a Tuesday at 3 pm and there was NO one there. We had used Truecar.com and other sites to get the ballpark price which as around $33,600. We were only looking at the EX-L as we have had our last EX-L for 10 years.

I have been following the posts on this forum to see what the going rates were. I found a post from someone in Oregon who quoted the OTD price of $32,500 which was the lowest I had seen. So, our goal was to beat that price.

We walked in and asked for the guy who gave us the Internet quote but he wasn't in. We worked with another guy and told him we wanted $32,000 OTD.

After some hemming and hawing (no more than 15 minutes) he came back with $32,400 which was $1500 less than we had quotes for over the internet.

I then walked outside and we called the other two different dealers to see if they were willing to have us drive over. In both cases, the guys "acted" surprised and told us to take those deals because they couldn't beat them.

So, OTD $32,400.

No trades, no financing, etc. In the end, pretty easy process. Not sure its the best deal out there but we felt like it was pretty good.

As a side note, I went back to the dealership on Saturday afternoon to hand in some paperwork. It was a COMPLETE SHOW. Every table was booked, there was fast talking and it seemed so slimy.

I'd recommend the place but would go during the downtime.

Happy to share the sales guy's name we worked with if folks want it.
    Costco is $36,994 + TTL.

As an FYI, quoting OTD prices is not very helpful to those of us in a different geographic location, since sales tax rates are different, plus trade-ins, dealer options, etc. can "skew" those numbers. Just a thought.
    Thank you, thats helpful and yet another data point! I agree that OTD prices are not as helpful as final price + TTL.

Satish
  • yuk8888yuk8888 Member Posts: 16
    the best quote that i got is 30362. fairfax honda.
  • firesquallfiresquall Member Posts: 1
    Hi usrich,
    I am also in PA and looking for a EX-L. Can you post the deal and salesman?
    thanks.