Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Maintenance and Repair

1626364656668»

Comments

• joey_cjoey_c Member Posts: 2
    I slightly bottomed out my 2012 Elantra and scraped the bottom front bumper. It is hardly noticeable, but it bothers me being a new car. The dealer can only offer me a touch up and I want it fixed right. Does anyone know of any aftermarket parts like a Bra or a front bumper guard that could be installed to hide this??? I don';t want to go through the expense of a body shop. They want to do the entire front bumper and it is costly

Thanks!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Really to repaint it shouldn't cost more than maybe $300--$400. You should shop around for prices. The dealer also probably knows people who do it cheaply for him on his used cars.
  • joey_cjoey_c Member Posts: 2
    Thanks - that's exactly what I am going to do - I tried doing it myself and made things worse....
  • rudy66rudy66 Member Posts: 26
    My mechanic told me that if I wanted to buy a car for 200,000 miles I should get a Honda. For 100,000 miles a Hyundai will do OK. Ironic isn't it?
  • ars1234ars1234 Member Posts: 1
    Hi....I recently purchased a 2013 Elantra and am considering buying a protection plan for the car. The dealer is offering Costguard warranty for around $1100 for a 10 year protection (with 0 deductible at the dealership). I looked up online and you can get Hyundai Protection Plan for slightly more $1600 with 0 deductible at all Hyundai dealerships (http://www.hyundaiextendedwarranty-hpp.com/PDF/HPPbrochure.pdf)

Any advice?

Also, is the HPP backed by Hyundai?
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Realize that the $1100-1600 is only buying an extension of the bumper-to-bumper warranty from 60K miles to 100K. You already have 10 years of powertrain warranty so you're paying quite a bit to cover the parts that aren't actually essential to driving.

Hyundai's plan does have one other benefit: It also makes the full warranty transferable should you sell the car before the warranty expires.

Also, you should be able to buy the extended warranty at any time up until the manufacturer warranty runs out. So you can defer this decision (and the associated expense) for awhile.

What many here suggest is this: Take the cost of the warranty and set it aside in a savings or investment account. If you need to make any repairs, pay for it out of the account. If the account runs out, then the warranty might have been worthwhile. But if the account doesn't run out, or isn't even tapped, you've got funds to devote to your next car purchase or some other expense.

I used to buy the extended warranties but have stopped doing so. Cars are generally more reliable and base warranties are improving so the odds of having to pay for repairs out of pocket is going down.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • mahdiavantemahdiavante Member Posts: 1
    Hi

I have a elantra xd 2005 and I have the wind noise on A pillar . I have seprated the mirrors and the wind noise was removed completly . who can give me a proper way.
  • jlm53jlm53 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have a product that is effective in cleaning the clothe upholstry on 2011 elantra? I purchased several car upholstry cleaners, but none have gotten any of the stains out. One of the stains is grease from Chinese take-out, but there are other stains from other "treats" eatten by kids in the back seat. Everything that drops stains, and even prompt clean up is unsuccessful in eliminating the stains.
  • rguedelrguedel Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2004 Hyundai Elantra and the low beam headlights just stopped working. The high beams work fine. Does anyone know if they are on different fuses?

Thanks,
    Robyn
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Have you checked to see if the bulbs burned out? I've had to replace the ones on my '05 Sonata a couple times (I drive with headlights on all the time).
  • spock072spock072 Member Posts: 12
    My 2008 Hyundai Elantra with 135,000 miles feels like it is going to stall when i come to a stop after driving at a high rate of speed...e.g., stopping at a toll booth after driving on a highway ...or exiting a highway and stopping at a stop sign..

anyone help me with what this problem may be?
  • spock072spock072 Member Posts: 12
  • ctjayhawkerctjayhawker Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    Greetings, All.
    My query, as short as I can make it:
    Bought 2008 Elantra Feb 2008.

-Went to dealer, paid$1500+/- for ext wtty, 10/100000 b-to-b.
    -Cut to this year, discovered dealer never submitted to wtty company (mileage now about 97500).
    -After calls and a couple meetings, dealer offered the following:
    1. refund, plain and simple
    2. Either for amount currently held, or maybe about $50 more (not sure) 48000 miles of HPP Platinum from when I say "Go".

So--my question is this: given that even my drivetrain wtty is about to run out, am I better served to just take the money and run, or to take the warranty and drive? No issues so far beyond routine mtce, but we are running into high miles here.

Opinions?

Thanks!
  • joegiantjoegiant Member Posts: 90
    'hawker, you're just breakin' that thing in at 97k on the odometer! If you've been keeping up with the maintenance and don't drive like a complete kook, that car is going to 200k. Take the refund and sock it away for a rainy day IF your Elantra ever has a rainy day. JMHO.
  • marlenelinmarlenelin Member Posts: 87
    Even water stains the upholstery on the 2011 Elantra. My beige seats have stains where my purse sits in the passenger seat. I must remember that when it is raining I should put my purse on the floor. One major problem I am having is because the front bumper sits so low. I have a handicapped friend who is quite overweight, and twice now, when pulling into a handicap spot the bumper has been pulled off by the concrete barrier in front of the parking spot. This happened 6 months ago and the bumper had to be replaced for $1,800 because the clips broke, and happened again last week. My husband got it back on, but it is loose, but we are going to try to wait a while before having it replaced again. Afraid insurance might drop us.
  • marlenelinmarlenelin Member Posts: 87
    Had the front bumper replaced once 6 months ago, and again last week it scraped against something and pulled out again. Hubby put it back on but it is loose and will have to be replaced again. Bad design with the bumper hanging so low.
  • hospitalship1hospitalship1 Member Posts: 1
    I would like to trickle charge my 2004 Hyundai Elantra battery but I don't wish to open the hood up. Can one access the battery safely if the car is on the ground to the battery for doing this / OR can one open the hood access the battery with the trickle charger cord and then realign the trickle charge connector to the battery through the base of the car chassis underneath close the hood so that it is secure? Any ideas or options on this? I don't wish to lift the car up with a jack, call for service, etc.... Tx,
    JG
  • jkobbjkobb Member Posts: 51
    Could you run the cable from the battery for the trickle charger thru the front grill of the car.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Agreed.

Mount something like one of these with the AC plug in an accessible location. Usually, as jkobb noted, you run the plug through the grill. When you need to trickle charge, plug it in.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • dansa2dansa2 Member Posts: 28
    Air conditioning cuts off several times while driving comes on again after few min. Could this be control knob issue needs replaced?
  • brophydoo1brophydoo1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2013 Hyundai elantra gls and after wiring some led lights to my battery I started the motor and heard a small popping sound. My ac now only blows hot and only works on setting 1 and setting 4. Checked all fuses in the manual for any blown fuses all fuses were good. I dont know what else it could be.