Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    Why was the second clutch not covered under the warranty? You should not have paid a dime for that repair.
  • lovinhockeymomlovinhockeymom Member Posts: 10
    The dealership claimed it was "normal wear and tear", and that it wasn't unusual to see Elantra clutches wear out every 30,000 miles. I believe it wore out so quickly because the flywheel was not machined in the first clutch replacement, at 18,000 miles, which was under warranty. The transmission was also replaced at the same time as the first clutch. I am pursuing legal options on this, but had to pay the money to get car out of dealership. 4,000 miles later, the car started leaking oil, and is now in the dealership getting a new short block because of a bad crank (this is under warranty). This is only part of the problems I've had with this car.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    First off, $1000 sounds like a lot to replace the clutch. What was replaced? Was it more than the pressure plate? The only time I've ever had to do that, it was on a Civic with only 40,000 miles and it cost $400--but that was back around 1990. So it is possible to wear out a clutch in 37,000 miles, but it seems on the low side for mileage--most clutches last a lot longer than that. I hope the life expectancy of an Elantra clutch is a lot more than 30,000 miles. I only have 16,000 on my '01 and no signs of clutch or engine problems yet.
  • lovinhockeymomlovinhockeymom Member Posts: 10
    Part of the reason the price was so high was because it was done at a dealership (I thought it was going to be a warranty job). They replaced the pressure plate and housing, machined the flywheel and replaced the clutch (throwout) bearing. When the first clutch was replaced at 18,000 miles, only the pressure plate and housing were replaced, along with the transmission. The binding clutch supposedly caused transmission damage. The clutch was frozen against the flywheel, supposedly because of a bad bearing. However, the bearing was not replaced, and the flywheel was not machined (as I now know should have been done). I guess they did only what they had to do, to get the car running again, since the work was done under warranty.
    I see your point; looks like they should have done more on the initial replacement. Have you taken this "up the chain" at Hyundai? They have some sort of a regional rep who is supposed to look into these things. I haven't had to go beyond the dealership on a service mattery, although I did write to the President of HMA about the late-deploying airbag problem, but I've read in these boards about others who have done that.
  • olcrockolcrock Member Posts: 12
    when applying my brakes,just prior to stopping, ihear a clicking? noise somewhere around the right rear tire. just started today. doesn't seem to make that sound except when applying the brakes at allmost a full stop. also, just prior to stopping,the noise decreases as the tire slows.like: clickclickclick..clickclick...click.any ideas??
    forgot to add that my auto is an elantra gls,2002.
  • pmpbpmpb Member Posts: 1
    Had a similar problem with my 02 GLS...when I got the car, it made the noise for about two weeks, seemed to disappear for a week, then came back louder than ever and I went to dealer who diagnosed as needing new brake drums...noise stopped again a few days before they did the replacement (under warranty) and its been about two weeks and it seems ok now
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
  • jbaldwinjbaldwin Member Posts: 3
    Hello all. I currently own a '99 Daewoo Leganza. I am shopping for a new car due only to the lack of parts/service (it's been a great car) and I'm considering the Elantra GT. I have to admit to being "once bitten twice shy" when it comes to buying another Korean car. Given your ownership experiances.... if you could go back and do it again, would you still purchase the Elantra?
  • 5port5port Member Posts: 395
    jbaldwin

You might thing about reposting this on the main board (you'll get more reponses). Yes, I would do it again in a heartbeat. Not just because of the car but also I am impressed with dealer service. I've owned other makes like Honda and Hyundai just seems to bend over backwards to keep me happy. This is my experience with my local dealer, your milage may vary. Any little complaint I had they fixed with no argument.

The car itself is more than I expected. I have the 5-spd with no ABS (GT) and the brakes are the best i've had in any car (really). The engine has enough power to keep me interested and ditto the handling. I have mine for 1 year and 11K miles and its been dead reliable. I parked next to a new Honda Civic Si the other day and decided the GT looks much better, much more interesting body lines. How can you argue with the features you get for under 15K? I would recommend this car to anyone (including a relative).
    I currently own an Elantra GLS, 2001 5-speed, and in a little over 15 months it has accumulated 21K miles. I love this car, so it presents a dilemma. Do I try to wring out as many miles as I possibly can before it officially dies? Or do I trade in for a Pewter GT w/ABS?

The short answer to your question is: yes, indeed, I would buy another of these cars. There is no better value, and Hyundai reliability continues to impress me.
  • rstolp2rstolp2 Member Posts: 2
    Just took my car to a second dealership this week, Lamar Hyundai in Cerritos, CA to meet with the Hyundai Rep and received much better service. The Service Manager and the Hyundai Rep were both much more service oriented than my previous dealer, Cormier Hyundai in Carson, CA. The rep told me the same thing about the bird poop but authorized the repairs "just this once" without needing to haggle. Also authorized a rental car for me, not normally included (didn't buy the extended warranty.) I take my car in Monday to have painted! Very satisfied with the service from LAMAR Hyundai and the rep! If you're having problems getting your paint fixed, keep trying! Maybe Hyundai is finally realizing this is a big problem.
  • delaluzdelaluz Member Posts: 48
    I bought a 2002 auto GT elantra. I noticed that after the car warms up there is a crinkling like sound. It sounds like some one is crinkling a plastic grocery bag. It seems to be coming from the driver side of the dash. I thought it might be the speedometer cable.

It goes away when you stop at a light. It doesn't seem to get louder with higher RPM's.

Anyone hear this?

Thanks
  • jprybajpryba Member Posts: 201
    I bought an Elantra about 2 months ago (GLS automatic, package 5). So far, so good, but I notice that when I get the car up to about 65-75 mph, the accelerator has a strange, springy (but not exactly sticky) feel to it. As soon as I slow down to 60 or 65, it goes away, but then it comes back when I speed back up. I'm going to have the dealer take a look at it, but I just wondered if anyone else here has noticed this problem as well.
  • zacharyguilforzacharyguilfor Member Posts: 1
    Just brought my three month old Elantra GLS to the dealer due to a rubbing sound on the driver side while going over 60mphs. This was my second visit.
    The first time they replaced a wheel bearing. This made very little difference. Today the mechanic went on the computer and saw a bulletin from Hyundai indicating that the elantra may need to have the suspension and engine bolts torked (tightened).
    I also have a big problem with the Champaign color on the car. There is one chip on the passenger side that goes deeper than the paint color and the other side has more than five different scratches on it.
    There is only 3000 miles on this car. I've owned probably 6 -7 other cars over the years none have reacted this way.
    Has anyone else had the suspension problem described?
    Would someone out there please help me to understand the 3 year warantee on the paint?
    What is the dealer supposed to do for an owner with the paint problems listed above?
    I have a '01 champagne GLS, two years old. I haven't noticed any unusual paint scratching or chipping problems. In fact, I've noticed less chipping in the front of the car than other cars I've owned that have painted bumpers and front facias. There have been a few scratches, but these came from the usual parking-lot nicks and a few that I am embarrased to admit were self-inflicted (snow shovel, and knocking a clothes rack onto the hood). I get a lot of sand and small stones thrown up on the car because dump trucks don't have to be covered in Minnesota, and the windshield is sand-blasted--but the front of the car and hood are holding up well, as I said better than on other cars. One thing I don't like about the Elantra, which is true on other cars too, is the white primer. So any scratch that goes through the color coat is especially noticeable. But that's what touch-up sticks and paint are for I guess.
    My Champagne '01 GLS has also been very good in this regard. Few hood nicks and chips (although I thought the white was due to my wax jobs -- hadn't looked closely immediately after chipping). So far, this paint is holding up well for me.
  • steve9186steve9186 Member Posts: 5
    I just purchased a 2002 GT new and noticed a crackling sound that appears to be coming from the windshield area. It only does it occasionally. I read somewhere that the windshield could be a wrong fit.

Has anyone experienced the same?
  • andil1andil1 Member Posts: 97
    Hi, Steve. Yes I have that problem and it has been discussed on one of the Elantra boards. I bought my GT in August and didn't notice it until the Midwest mornings started getting colder (we have frost in the mornings now). Once the car warms up, it seems better.

I believe one owner had the windshield reseated by the dealer and the problem went away. I guess I'm a little gun shy about doing that 'cause the last time I had a windshield replaced, I returned to the dealer to find a large burn hole in the passenger seat. Guess a heat gun is used in the process, and it slipped out of someone's hand. Of course, the dealer replaced the seat, but it took a month for it to come in.

Let us know if you do ask the dealer to do something.
  • delaluzdelaluz Member Posts: 48
    Steve9186,

I have the same sound coming from my 2 week old 2002 Elantra GT auto. It sounds like someone is crinkling plastic bags. I don't hear it when the road is perfectly smooth. However, when I go over a little bump I hear the crinkling. The noise I hear is not a motor noise and is not tied to RPM's. I thought it might be from a loose wiring harness. It only happens when I go over bumps, even small ones.

Also, I'm sure I hear it after the car warms up. I don't think I hear it in the first 5-7 minutes of operation.

Does my crinkling sound appear to be the "windshield" problem?

If so, where did you see other posts?

Thanks!
  • bartbikerwbartbikerw Member Posts: 36
    Hey Everyone,

I just decided today to have my vehicle replaced under the lemon law. I really like Hyundai, and so I don't want the money back but I just had too many problems with my current car, so I want them to get me a new car. First, I constantly have rattles in my doors, which they tried to fix once with no luck, and the second time they said they couln't here them. It is true that they where not present at that time but I don't have time to go to the dealer right after my door starts rattling. The door seal had to be glued as well and it is still sticking out a little bit. Then the main problem I started to get was a cluch noise, resistance. The first dealer tried to fix it once, which did not help, and then they tried to order and replace some switch which even I knew was not a problem that was causing the noise. They returned the car to me with the same problem like it was already fixed. I thus went to another dealer. There, they replaced the main clutch cylinder, which did not help, and finally decided to rebuilt the whole clutch assambly which fixed the problem. After 3 months of driving, I am starting to get the same problem with the clutch (rubbing noise). They tried to fix it more then 4 times and they did not fix it so I have a reason to file a claim, and I am just doing that because I don't have time to go to the dealer everymonth with a 9 mo old (now) car. Also during the summer, my instrument pannel window cracked from the heat. They replaced that, but I had to go back because a piece of plastic was sticking up from the instrument pannel which they had to adjust. Just a lot of bad service. Currently I still have steering wheel shaking while braking in high speeds, so I assume the breaks or rottors are going bad, and I won't even bug them to fix it because it is too much trouble. I also have a wistleing noise comming from the left top driver side when going above 85 miles per hour, which they can never check, and finaly my trunk starts to squeek. You can see how many problems I have and it should not happen on a new car. The thing is, I love the car for the price. You get everything in it, plus a great ride and performance. I just don't want it to break that much. I hope they will give me a new car, and it will be more reliable.
    Just wanted to share it with all of you.
  • steve9186steve9186 Member Posts: 5
    As has been mentioned, the sound only occurs when I go over a bump. The crackling sound is there thruout the ride though. I will be having the dealer look at this, when I get the first oil change completed. Will let you know if the windshield was the problem.
    Also, within the last week of having the car the drivers window won't go down with the "one touch" feature. Sure it's a switch replacement.
    Have all of 600 miles on the car, even with the above hopefully minor problems, I certainly do not regret the purchase. Enjoy the drive.
  • michael_lee76michael_lee76 Member Posts: 45
    Ok, this is an update for the transmission noise i had before. They called up the Hyundai and Hyundai decided to replace my whole transmission. if u have the same problem, talk to your dealer. they will replace it for you..
    saw my rep today. he's authorizing a paint job! i was pleasantly surprised. no hassle,although i was ready to argue with him! this is an update from message #393.....
  • byr1byr1 Member Posts: 6
    plastic wing on trunklid 6 months ago and now too from plastic rear bumper. Pewter 2000 with 22,000 miles. Dealer repainted wing. I expect they'll be happy to fix the bumper too.
    according to recent note in Car and Driver (or was it Road & Track?) magazine. Additional warranty time being awarded on affected cars. Seems the factory put out the horsepower specs but failed to test the motors to make sure they were actually producing the claimed power. Anyone hear or have experience of this?
    what I paid. Biggest complaint is shifter is notchy and hard to get into 1st at rest and between 1 & 2 and between 2 & 3 while accelerating. Dealer tried to help it at 5,000 miles or so with little success. Anyone else?
    22,000 miles, 2 years old. 2 broken window regulators, balky stick shift, paint clearcoat bubbling and peeling, tires shot, door panel upholstery coming unglued, floormats self-destructed, poor fitting glovebox door requiring replacement, battery pooped out in less than 2 years, excess wind noise at drivers door, rough motor especially at idle, overly fragile interior door pulls broke, soft paint which is easily damaged...
    But, brand new purchase price under $10,000 with cruise, mudguards, and wing, all repairs done free under generous warranty by my friendly dealer, decent power and handling, roomy interior, loads of comfort and convenience features, good ergonomics, comfortable seats, acceptable gas mileage for car of this interior volume and engine power, and the prestige associated with owning a genuine exotic Korean car...
    Yeah, I'll keep this one in the family for a long time. And probably buy a couple more over the years (4 kids here). The improvement in the Elantras over the last 5 years (and company growth) is amazing. If it continues and the car remains available at the bargain price relative to the competition, I may not buy any other brand. I may replace our aging Ford Windstar with a Kia (Hyundai) Sedona van soon too.
  • dpthomasdpthomas Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 2003 Elantra GLS. The first day I bought it ,it rained. The wipers make an awful squeeking noise as they move across the windshield. The next day when it was dry, I looked at the blades, and they look to be 3/4s some type of nylon material. What happened to the rubber? And is this the norm???
    Dealer should replace those for you as a warranty "adjustment" since they are clearly inferior. My originals were good after a year.
  • andil1andil1 Member Posts: 97
    Make sure that the dealer didn't forget to take the temporary covers off your wipers. I actually drove with mine for a month (duh!) before I figured it out. Couldn't figure out why the blades were streaking and squeeking so badly. If your wiper blades look like white plastic with a really short black blade, try pulling them off. The "real" blades are underneath.
  • kirk33kirk33 Member Posts: 4
    Further to my #395 I finally had my Elantra in for its first service and they seem to have fixed the cracking/snapping noise which seemed to come from the driver side instrument panel/windshield. They adjusted the strut mount bolts to factory specs - tightened about 1/2 turn - and all is OK at the moment. Re the wind noise this isn't too serious, have compared with a couple of Hondas and its about the same. Even so the dealer figures they can improve it - but need the car on a dry day so they can hear it better. Makes sense.
    Bottom line - still very happy and car seems to run even better as it gets more mileage. Only negative is lack of lighting in back seat area.
  • 1981baby1981baby Member Posts: 3
    Hello:
    I just purchased my 2003 Elantra GLS yesterday and I have that same whisteling noise comming from the driver's side window. Did you find out what it was?
  • wittscottwittscott Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Hyundai Elantra. Yesterday morning and afternoon at lunch, the car was running fine. We had a dip in temp. where I live and when I got in my car to drive home, the check engine light started flashing. Not staying on, but flashing. Has anyone else had this problem? I am not driving it today, and will take it to the shop but wanted to know if anyone else has had their check engine light actually continually flash.
  • bnorby1bnorby1 Member Posts: 16
    bartbikerw - regards to your defective elantra and not wanting to bother them with the shaking wheel/brakes and rotors; you should really bring that up too - it will certainly lend strength to your lemon claim, especially if it is a problem truly worth repair or correction.

I am glad to hear that you have not given up on the company (I may have if I were in a similar situation). My '02 GT has been really great - I am happy with its features, value and cost. We have had no problems whatsoever - so, stay determined and politely insist that they address and document every problem.
    I was just wondering if anyone had a similar situation with a whisteling noise comming from the driver's side window when traveling above 80mph. I am going to take the car in, but would like to be more informed as to what the noise is exactly. I would appreciate any input. My car is a 2003 Elantra if that helps.

Thanks
    I need your help on the whisteling noise comming from the drivers side, do you know what it is
    You can try to take your car in for a wind noise that happens above 80 mph, but it is likely the service manager will refuse to test-drive it at that speed. But it's worth a shot I suppose. A few things you could try are to treat the door gaskets with Armor-All (or similar), check them to make sure they are properly seated, and see if the driver's door is fitted properly.
  • jacobi1jacobi1 Member Posts: 32
    I found quite a bit of wind noise coming from the sunroof, when closed that is but with the sunshade open(the plastic cover that you pull closed inside the car). For about a month in the summer I was trying to figure out which side the wind noise was coming from, I couldn't figure out if it was the passenger side or drivers side?? then one day I closed the sunshade of the sunroof and noticed that the car was quiet! I had a good laugh about it...
    Not to say that's what your wind noise is, just thought I'd share that little tid bit.

have a good one.
  • kentavoskentavos Member Posts: 34
    I bought a 2002 GT a couple of months ago and have noticed something really strange. Occasionally when I first start the car, the speedometer will jump up and down (like I'm going 0-10-0-10-0-10 etc.) It doesn't seem to be affecting anything mechanically, but it is a little disconcerting. Anyone else seen this and have a solution?
  • jessie9jessie9 Member Posts: 5
    hi all. my 2002 elantra is making what i would call a buzzing noise. i hear it whenever the air conditioner kicks on and recently realized that i also hear it when i use the driver side door lock to lock all the doors. it's sort of a short "zzzzzzt," and sounds like it might be electrical. only happens when the mechanisms switch on......not continual. any ideas?
  • krjaselkrjasel Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 03 Elantra and other than a rattle above my head closer to the passenger side I think - I love it. I had a 00 Elantra and when my check engine light came on and stayed on flashing I knew something terrible was wrong (the coil went) but it was obvious to just not drive it - the dealer told me when the light actually stays flashing as opposed to steady DON'T DRIVE IT
    You probably already checked this, but the first thing I do when I hear a rattle overhead is check the sunglasses holder, and sure enough it's always my wire-rimmed sunglasses rattling.
  • dlaing1dlaing1 Member Posts: 17
    I posted several months ago that I was experiencing the wind noise that many others are experiencing. Described as a sound similar to letting the air out of a balloon or blowing across a bottle. The sound makes you and your passengers feel uneasy(I am getting used to it, but not my wife)
    It is hard to describe where the sound comes from.
    My last post said that the dealer was going to seal the windshield. They sealed it, and the frequency of occurences has dropped a little, but not enough.
    Two of my visits resulted in the mechanics driving my car 30 to 50 miles per visit. A good tactic by the dealer to make me give up and not want to bring my car to them.
    Oh well, if someone knows a solution that really works let us know. I will eventually try a few things like duct taping suspected areas and maybe pulling off the hub caps.
    Otherwise the car has been great! Except for the gas mileage(22-26MPG) but than maybe I shouldn't be going 80+ mph...
  • bartbikerwbartbikerw Member Posts: 36
    Hello Everyone,

I am still in the process of the lemon law complain, but I think everyone should know what happened to me today. So after a place to complain with the BBB, Hyundai contacted me to make an appointment with Loren Hyundai in Glenview, IL. where one of the repairs was made to show them my problem. So I made an appointment for today morning. I went to the dealership and asked for the service menager with whom I talked on the phone. He came over and said that I have made an appointment for yesturday and that I did not show up and he called HMA and said that the problem was resolved. I told him that the person who I have talked to must have made a mistake because, although he mentions about comming thursday, I told him that I couldn't and with both agreed to make the appointment for this friday. He answered with an attitude that it is not the other person that made a mistake but I have made a mistake and I have come in the wrong day when he only had one mechanic. (first) Then I told his that it only takes a few minutes to check that I have a problem with my squeeking clutch, and I can do it right there. So he made a face, and came to my car. You know what he said, that the squicking and rubbing is normal and that there is nothing wrong with the clutch. I asked him how come they tried to fix it if there the last 4 times if it was the same thing, but he had no answer (ofcourse because the clutch is broken again) and said that he does not know what they did before but this is normal. (second) Finally I told him that he should call the HMA and we have to straighten this out, and he said that I should call them myself, and when I asked him if he has the number he said that he wouldn't, and finally he told me that if I don't have the number I should call the BBB. (third) Finally I told him that I don't know what his is talking about, but the clutch is not supposed to sequeek or rub like that. I told him that my girlfriend has bought 2003 toyota corrolla and I drowed it many times and the clutch is butter smooth. You know what he said. That maybe I should get a Toyota, and that hyundai is not toyota. (fourth). I could not believe it. I went to the dealer where I got the car and ofcourse he said that the clutch was broken. I got the number for HMA there and I called them and made a complain there. I don't know if that is going to do anything though. Is there other place I can complain to so I can get this guy fired. It is kind of hard to get those guys since he is the service menager. This is ridiculus. Also HMA told me to make an appointment again with the other dealer, but when I call him he told me that he has nothing to do with is and I should contact HMA. (nice little cirle). So I'll call BBB on monday and make some more complains. Ohhh, and by the way, before I told you guys that I just wanted an exchange, no I just want all my money back with no subtractions, and I told that to BBB today. I am going to buy a Toyota like the guy told me. Maybe he was right :-). I will never buy Hyundai again. They are very nice when nothing is wrong and when you pay them.
  • bassist4005bassist4005 Member Posts: 1
    i also am having the same sound as some others,a gravel-like or clattering sound,from the front-passenger side of the car, in the first 10 minutes of driving--temp. outside around 25 degrees. it sounds like maybe the lifters,maybe a wheel bearing,or possibly something else--i am not really sure. after 10 minutes,the sound is gone totally. only occurs upon ACCELERATION, not at idle. could this be something serious? just curious if someone knows about this sound,before i go to the dealer(2003 elantra gt---250 miles, owned 2 weeks. thanks, r.j.
  • ttran2ttran2 Member Posts: 2
    I was drawn to Hyundai because of the unbelievably low price and warranty. I purchased the Hyundai Elantra new in 1999. I had taken it to the dealer three times because of the rubbing noise and they were unable to find it. Now there is an oil leak from the oil pan and no matter what I do my driveway always gets oil drops. I should have bougt a Toyota instead.

What good is the incredible warranty if you always have to take the car to the shop instead of driving it? And if you drive it, it is never a pleasant, comfortable, noise-free drive.

I can't wait to have some money to trade it in for a Toyota or Nissan.

Tran
  • n2vswn2vsw Member Posts: 11
    Your problem sounds more like it's the dealer's service department rather than the car itself. If, let's say, you took the car in three times for the rubbing noise and they fixed it every time only to have the problem return, then I would blame the car/hyundai. That's like saying you went to the doctor three times for a pain in your chest and he could'nt find anything, does that mean you have a defective body? or should you maybe find a different doctor? In regards to the oil leak, hey no car is perfect, not even toyota. I know a toyota owner who wouldnt own another one if it was the latest model given to him as a gift. Honda? Yeah check around and see how much grief people get on warranty repairs. After all it's a Honda and NOTHING goes wrong with Hondas so surely the owner must have done something wrong. My point is that every type of vehicle has problems (ask any Mercedes owner) the frequency and the percentage of owners who do is what determines a vehicles quality or design flaws.
  • n2vswn2vsw Member Posts: 11
    The speedometer on the Elantra is cable driven. I don't know where you live but most likely the cold is a contributing factor. There is grease inside the cable housing to lubricate the cable as it turns. When it's very cold the cable does not spin freely. Eventually this goes away because the friction created as you drive the car warms the cable. Lubricating the cable should solve it. You may want to check the cable routing and make sure there are no sharp bends in it, this will also cause binding and give you the same symptoms. Hope this helps