Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    I know is sounds odd, but if the weatherstrip on the door dries out, you can get a slight squeak that sounds like a light rattle. Put a little silicone on it (do not use spray, use grease) and you may find your "rattle" goes away.

jim
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    Has anyone removed the screw covers at the inside edges of the driver and passenger front doors? I simply need to tighten these panels without removing them, and I want to avoid tearing up the screw covers. The technical portion of the Hyundai USA website does not detail this.
  • wmoseswmoses Member Posts: 212
    jimbeaumi asked --

Has anyone removed the screw covers at the inside edges of the driver and passenger front doors?

One of my favourite tools is a nail file, the tip of which is naturally fairly thinly chiselled.

I have used this on several occasions ot pop out these screw covers.

I suggest if you are getting a nail file for this, make sure that the tip is not only thin, but is also nicely rounded. The sharply pointed nail files are no good for this.
    Well, folks, I am one very proud young man. I was able to take care of the very faint buzz in both of my door panels (thanks wmoses), AND eliminate the light but somewhat persistent headliner buzz. These noises were not loud by any stretch of the imagination, but good ears can still detect them, especially in a car this quiet. Next to tackle: the windshield noise, which is a bit more serious.

Anyone who is just visiting these threads should note that these are the most serious of my concerns. This car has otherwise been a gem, ready to ascend to the throne of my vaunted Betsy II (227K mostly trouble-free miles). Long live Betsy III!
  • dirtdog007dirtdog007 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2002 hyundai elantra gls for my wife to drive and she loves it. I think it's a great car for the money, but when I drive it I notice that there is a steering vibration at highway speeds. It is smooth to about 60 mph and then the vibration peaks around 65 or so and then decreases but is still noticeable above 70 mph.

I have never had a small car before and I was wondering if this is normal. Could it just be the tires needing balanced?
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    My car had a slight vibration. I bought the Wal-Mart lifetime rotation and balance for $7+ per tire and they fixed it the first time. No trouble since. Interestingly enough in mid-01 many of the posters were unable to get things squared away despite numerous repeat visits to the dealer. Sometimes tire people know MORE about balancing tires.
    Now I really don't feel as if my few buzzes were serious. I just got back from tooling around in my friend's 2002 Mercedes CL500, and even it had a buzz and a squeak (both very light) that I could not locate. Comparing a sticker of over $90K with my very inexpensive car is just icing.

As much as I love my Elantra, I am still well aware how EXQUISITE the CL is (it ought to be).
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    For $90k, Mercedes should send a tech--no, two techs--from the factory out to find and fix those squeaks! ;-)
  • jprybajpryba Member Posts: 201
    My driver side seat belt buckle started to squeak like crazy each time I would move around while driving. I sprayed some WD40 into the buckle itself and the area underneath it, and that has quieted it down. When I first got the car a few months ago, I did notice some "gunk" where the seat belt buckle and the seat meet, so I guess you just have to lubricate it every once in a while to keep it from making too much noise.
  • keziahkeziah Member Posts: 7
    I was cleaning out my 01 two days ago and while I had the door open, noticed that there is a huge chunk of my weatherstripping on the drives side (inside side) just gone! I don't remember anytime this could have happned while I was driving the car and I'm the only one who ever drives my car except at the dealership.

Another lovely thing, I had to have my windshield replaced about 2 months after I bought the car because of a rock that cracked it (thats a whole sad story in itself) but about a month later the plastic strip that goes down each side of the windshield, over the top of the doors and down the back window started coming loose at the back and flopping around. I took it in and they said it was because of it having been taken loose when the windshield was replaced (3 times) and replaced it free of charge under warrenty.
    Well again as I was cleaning my car I noticed, its coming loose again, no windshiled replaced this time folks.
    One thing to check on is whether the dealer that "fixed" the windshield trim strips replaced the clips that hold the trim stips tight to the windshield. I'll bet the glass shop didn't do that originally. These strips on my Elantra were dented by hail (along with the hood and roof) awhile back, and it took the glass shop months to get the right clips from Hyundai and install them properly. The dealer sent the glass shop the wrong clips at least twice. So I drove around for several months without the clips, and there was a gap between the windshield and the trim strips--but not that noticeable, you had to look closely to see it. They never started flapping on me, but I wouldn't have been surprised if they did. Also, since these strips could be dented by hail I thought they were metal rather than plastic.

Re the weatherstripping, when my Elantra was new I noticed that a couple of the fasteners were not seated properly and the weatherstripping sagged. It's possible that this happened on your car and the wear and tear of closing the door on them broke them. Mine were on a rear door. I popped them back on and have not had a problem with them since (27 months).
  • uz2bphastuz2bphast Member Posts: 12
    Living in Ottawa Ontario, we have a lot of forest around the city. What I did not expect was to see was a very large buck (someone said it was a six pointer) in the city.

Coming home from work (for those familiar with Ottawa I was heading west on Hunt Club just past Merivale)at around 6 pm. When this animal walked in front of me. I usually drive the speed limit (80KM)but on this day I was going slower. Conditions were dry and visibility excellent.

I managed to get the car slowed down but I still hit the deer. I caught it just under its left rear haunch. It buckled the top of the hood over the driver side headlight, bent some framework which held the rad some plastic bits and pieces.

All told it was 2300$ (CDN) in damages. The hood had to be replaced.

I was very lucky as I missed most of the animal and no one behind me hit it or me as I slammed the brakes on very hard (no ABS).

The deer ran off across the road and disappear into a thicket.

I was very impressed with the construction of the car as it has not developed any rattles or squeaks.

I now drive that stretch a lot slower now
  • azldwazldw Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2002 Elantra GT 4800 miles - every time I shift from 1 to 2nd and 3rd to 4th the engine revs. It also occasionally maintains a high idle when i start the car, the weather doesn't seem to have any affect, it happens in the cold and in the heat (I live in Tucson it doesn't really get "cold" here.) Is this normal? I've been driving a manual transmission for many, many years and never experienced this.
  • 5port5port Member Posts: 395
    I asked my service manager about this. He said it is there to help you shift, an automatic heel and toe effect. I have a 2001.5 GT with 12K miles and the effect has almost completley gone away. Shifts normally now. In the beginning my idle would stay way up at 1500 rpm at a stop and then slowly make its way down to 700. Now its normal. Some people have had their idle solenoid replaced and it has cured it. The dealers position is that this was "designed in". Yeah right. Of course he said they all do that.
    The effect of the throttle staying open after release is an electronic version of the old "dashpot". Without some way of lowering the speed back to idle slowly, an engine will stumble and die on throttle release. Now, if the thing just sits there at 1500RPM, there is a problem with the engine control system. This method of controlling off-throttle stumble/stall is common to most EFI engines. When it is working correctly, it is hardly noticeable. If not, you can get high idle speeds, slow throttle drop, and even what behaves like a stuck throttle, although there is very little power behind the engine when that symptom occurs.

GMC had a situation on the 5.7L engine used in 96-98 in the 1/2 ton trucks. When you let off the throttle at ~50MPH, the truck would hold speed for a second or so. After a ton of investigation, I found out that it was an emissions issue in that the 5.7L needed a lean-down before dropping back to idle. Otherwise, the engine would go rich without load and dump a lot of emmisions. The system performed as designed. While I don't care for some of the personality of EFI, it does beat overhauling carbs every 10K miles to maintain performance.
    My Elantra has a somewhat different issue. The throttle does not respond to the first 10% of the TPS. The TPS has failed twice, replaced three times, and the problem is still there. Since the car is a 5spd, smooth clutch engagement takes real coordination. I figure sooner or later whatever is causing the problem will quit completely and we will have a solution. Problem did not show up until the car had ~6500 miles. Now has 11K.

Jim
  • starriverstarriver Member Posts: 26
    I bought my elantra GLS one year ago and the floor mat was worn out. I got replaced it by dealer around half year ago, now it worn out again. Do you guys have the same problem? (Driver side front, which is damaged by the heel of my shoe)
    No. My Elantra is 27 months old and except for some dirt, the mats (tan) look like new. Do you drive a lot? Wear spiked heels?
  • jimpimmsjimpimms Member Posts: 81
    The same thing happens to me, but it's not the mat's fault, it's mine. Since I constantly heel-and-toe/double-clutch, I used to bore two holes in my mat in no time at all. Now I use a Wal*Mart ~$5 heavy deep-dish rubber-like mat (about 12" x 18"), with the long side north-south, atop the carpeted mats. Obviously, it's much cheaper to replace the rubber mat (although, it's not shown any appreciable wear in 1-1/2 years); plus, during the winter months, it prevents the carpeted mats from getting filthy. I use it year-round on the driver's side, and on the passenger's side during winter/spring. My wife's car has a beige carpet, and it's hardly soiled using these mats. I've seen them in black, tan, and clear, and they're heavy enough that you don't need to contantly reposition them (just occasionally).
    I went to the dealer and bought myself a "summer" set of mats, because I knew I would make a mess of the first set in the winter (an extra small mat near the dead pedal wouldn't be a bad idea in my case). My accelerator heel wore a spot in the original set, of course. The summer set is holding up OK.
  • biggddogbiggddog Member Posts: 1
    I have an 02 Elantra 5 speed with 6000 miles. It is the same problem as post 474. Where you lift off the accelerator between shifts and it takes a few seconds for the rpm's to drop off. It almost impossible to shift smoothly without pausing along time between shifts. I believe if you're not careful this could lead to early clutch wear. I'll be going to the dealer soon for this. Has anyone had a similar problem solved by their dealer? Thanks
    Bring it to the attention of your dealer when you go in, they can look it up if they don't already know about it. My '01 had this problem but it corrected itself after a few weeks (?!).
  • markandjenmarkandjen Member Posts: 1
    I am new to this site, my reasoning for writing this message is because I have seen a few postings for wind noise (sounds like you are blowing on the top of a beer bottle. I have an '03 Elantra GT 5-dr Hatchback. The noise at first happened when you were doing 80mph and above. Recently it will do it at 60mph. I know what the problem is, the black seal that runs along the top of the car on both sides has a almost like concave in it. The wind when blowing the right way will hit that and make that noise. My friend complained to the Hyundai Dealer here in The Mojave desert of California and they said that you can run a bead of caulk in there and that will take care of that noise, but they could not do it for you, even though they know that will solve the problem. My car has 3500 miles only and I am going to take it in for this because it gets so loud sometimes that the radio can't even drown it out.
        Any ideas on what I should tell them if they tell me that they can't run the caulk, I have too.PLEASE HELP.
    I love my car and would not get rid of it because of this.
  • kiltedfoolkiltedfool Member Posts: 18
    Cross-posting to the Elantra GT board as well

I just ticked 3,000 miles on my 03 GT this last weekend (actually hit 3,050) and it's time to at least do an oil change, I need to check the owner's manual to see if it's a recommended dealer stop.

My big question is I recall in one of my slogs through the longer Hyundai boards, there was some sort of problem with the oil plug/threads when doing oil changes? I usually just use Jiffy Lube, since I have to spend less time, both in general and in fending off additional charges, but is this a concern? I don't really want to have to schedule a bloody oil change with a Jiffy Lube right around the corner from me here at work, but if it's a significant risk I'll go to the dealer and slap them until I get a reasonable charge.

Anyone?

KF
    Kiltedfool,
    Hyundai, like many other manufacturers, warns not to over tighten the drain plug in the oil pan. When doing an oil change, many of the gorillas in the oil change pits are not aware that the oil is not under pressure in the pan, and only enough torque is needed to keep the drain from dripping, which is not all that tight when a fresh gasket is used. Personally, I go with snug, probably 15ftlbs, and have never stripped a pan or had a leak. Just make sure that whoever does the oil change doesn't go for the "tighter is better" theory and you should do just fine.

Jim
  • dustbaildustbail Member Posts: 34
    Just wanted to say that the Fumoto Valve is a great investment. Whether you change your own oil or the local Jiffy Lube, it will save you time and money.(didn’t mean to sound like a advertisement, just really impressed with the product)
  • pewtermanpewterman Member Posts: 17
    Hi, fellow owners!

I haven't been here for awhile, but am happy to report that my '01 Elantra is still humming along well at over 30,000 miles. But, it's time for the tranny fluid and filter change and I need some advice.

I took it to my local garage to avoid the $400 30,000 mile service "special" at my dealership. I first found out that the filter (yes, I know know that not all '01's have them)is a dealer ONLY part ($26!). While picking up the filter, the parts man warned me about the type of ATF fluid I buy.

So, the service has not yet been performed and I'm now concerned about where to take it and what to buy. The owner's manual specifically states that the warranty will be voided by the wrong fluid (of course!). But I find it hard to believe that I may have to go to the dealer and pay $5-$10 a quart for fluid. Can I not purchase Quaker State, etc.? I'm not exactly a dummy about this stuff but would really appreciate some input from you folks. Thanks in advance!
    If it were me, I'd spring for the OEM fluid. Call it "no-hassle insurance." It will cost a few bucks extra every 30,000 miles, but consider what would happen if you use some other ATF, have a transmission problem, and Hyundai doesn't honor your warranty claim because of the type of ATF you used. Then you have a big hassle on your hands, at best, and a big repair bill at worst. But it's your money.
    I've had my 02 Elantra with automatic & Package 5 for about 6 months, and I've driven it about 6500 miles as well. So far, so good, but I do have a few small issues with the car. First, the brakes tend to make a "thoomp" noise as I let go of the brake pedal when slowing down to 5 mph or so in parking lots for speed bumps, but not when I come to a complete stop at stop signs/stop lights. This really only happens when the temperature is between 30 and 60 degrees and the air is moist (or the brakes are wet for whatever reason). Also, the gas pedal gets slightly stiff here and there when I get the car to 70 on the highway. Finally, there are a few minor fit & finish/squeak & rattle issues, mainly with a small piece of the door trim starting to come loose on both front doors in the same exact spot, and also with a slight creak in the passenger front door that I can solve by just pulling it shut a little bit more. Otherwise, the car is doing fairly well. I guess fuel economy in the city isn't as advertised, but considering what sort of stop & go traffic I face each day, 16-18 mpg in the city isn't that bad. I'll try to get my other issues looked at during my next oil change. I was told some brake noise is normal, but the occasional thoomp is starting to get annoying. I suppose I should go drive to a Hyundai dealership right now and "thoomp" my way through the parking lot and see what sort of reaction the customers and salespeople get. I suppose I'll get that fixed really fast then :) (Although I did test another Elantra for comparison, and there was some thoomping too... but is that really supposed to be normal? Same with the gas pedal as well.) Thanks for any input any of you can provide.
    My '01 GLS does not have and never has had a brake "thoomp" or any other noise except very occasionally a squeak on the first braking on a damp day. No stickiness on the accelerator either. You should get those checked out. Which door trim is coming loose? Lots of owners seem to run into the squeak on the passenger front door, which they've reportedly fixed by tightening the screws holding the plastic door panel (and some more industrious people have added rubber washers). I have been too busy/lazy to fix it yet, as it doesn't show up except on a cold day. 16-18 mpg in the city seems pretty low unless it's all stop-n-go driving in cold weather.
  • pewtermanpewterman Member Posts: 17
    Thanks, Backy!

After further consideration that's exactly what I'm doing. I went on the NHTSA site the other day to check up on their TSBs for the Elantra. One I came across, regarding the ATF drain plug (placement) strongly advised the use of Hyundai fluids to avoid eratic shifting. I did, however, change my own antifreeze, so keep your fingers crossed for me!! Thanks again for the advice.
  • jimpimmsjimpimms Member Posts: 81
    Hyundai, per TSB 02-20-008, has changed the oil drain plug from a 12mm reach to a 17mm reach (PN #21512-23000), in order to prevent pan thread stripping when over-torqued. This applies to all Elantras manufactured after 1 April, 2001.

That being said, I suggest you order a Fumoto oil drain valve (PN #F106) for $22.95 plus $3 s&h.
          http://www.fumotovalve.com/
    I received mine about 4 days after placing the order.
    I've had the sticking throttle pedal on my 01 GT. I complained to the service dept a couple of times. The first time they lubed the cable. Seemed to free it up some but sticking came back. The second visit service loosened the cable and repositioned it. Now it feels normal. Tell service about your sticking pedal.
    5port, I'm glad it wasn't just me. The issue doesn't occur until I'm going 65-70, though, and even then it doesn't bother me THAT much. However, I'll see what the dealership can do when I go in on Wednesday to get my slightly "thoompy" brakes looked at.

I'm still very happy with the car, even with a few minor issues. I even had Hyundai send me a survey asking me about the quality of my car, and they asked me quote a few specific questions about items that have been noted in these forums. So, Hyundai knows about some of these issues, and I know they have done a LOT to fix them too and make sure to ask people about them. No wonder why Consumer Reports said in the auto issue I got today that "Hyundai was also among the best 2002 brands - a striking turnaround from its poor showing 10 years ago." With my old Grand Am, I don't remember GM ever asking me specific things about my car. So, although I don't have a perfect Hyundai, I am willing to put up with a few quirks while they perfect their quality and get up there to Japanese levels :)
    >>> So, although I don't have a perfect Hyundai, I am willing to put up with a few quirks while they perfect their quality and get up there to Japanese levels <<<

Take a look at recent posts in the Hyundai Elantra board. Based on CR's annual survey, it appears that Hyundai has caught up with Honda and is just a little behind Toyota for defects in 2002 models. An amazing turnaround.
    The dealership basically just did a brake inspection, and in the process they must have made some sort of adjustment (as the brakes seem better now). I also noticed that driving on the highway for a while might "dry out" any moisture that could be causing some of that "thoomph" noise I was getting. As for my gas pedal, the dealership tried to adjust it, and it does feel a little bit less tensiony. (They said they'll replace the cable if I feel it's not that much better -- we'll give it some time first.)

The trim that is coming loose is on each front door in a very small area around the lower back corner where the black trim meets the window. I noticed another Elantra in the parking lot at work today that had the same issue. The dealership said they could stick another piece of trim on, but that this particular piece of trim is a bit tricky to replace (and that the replacement piece could end up doing worse in the long run -- witness the bubbling effect that show up on various cars that have aftermarket tinted windows installed, for example). So, I said that as long as it wasn't going to come off any more, then I'll just live with it for now. I guess I can post pictures of this on here if necessary, as it's kind of hard to explain just what exactly is happening with this.

Like I said before, these are just some minor issues -- I would still recommend the Elantra to my friends and family.
  • servo_fanservo_fan Member Posts: 15
    (Cross posted on the GT board too)
    My wife was driving our automatic transmission '02 GT yesterday and she told me that immediately after getting gas at a station we've used in the Hyundai before, (and paying the highest average price in the country here in California, but that's another story ;-)), while she was in the middle of a u-turn, the car just lost power (both momentum and electrical, apparently the power steering went out too). She had to coast through the u-turn and pull over. When she went to put the car in Park, she said it made a grinding noise. She said she was fully stopped at that point. Then she shut the car off for about 30 seconds, restarted it and everything was fine. Any ideas? Would bad gas cause such a problem so quickly after fill up? If so, should we expect this problem for the duration of the tank?
  • renfrow1renfrow1 Member Posts: 7
    I'm beginning to think the same thing...Sorry for getting in on this so late in the discussions, and I've briefly commented about it in another section here, but I have to vent, I'm so happy to have finally found some other owners sharing stories here!!! :)

My GT is only two months old, and yes just as it hit 800 miles two days ago, I started to have the trouble shifting from 2nd into 3rd gear, and my car now begins to pull to the left slightly as I'm driving below 45 mph, and pulls to the right from take-off...I'm beginning to think I got me a lemon as well...Luckily for me I haven't started to have anything else go wrong, no engine noises other than the rough rpm's staying way up...I wonder why they do that???

I'm heading into the dealership tomorrow morning to see what they say...I don't want them to get into fixing it, I just want to guage them a bit and see if they tell me they've had similar complaints...My salesman is also a friend of mine outside of the job I've known for a couple years, so he wouldn't lie to me I know that much...If there are apparent problems with the GT's, I'm trading mine in at 6 months, and getting something else and just swallowing the loss in my wallet...I can't drive a car like this, I don't feel safe in it...

DAN
  • renfrow1renfrow1 Member Posts: 7
    I took my GT in to the dealership, and they told me they indeed got the same complaints about the pulling to one direction while driving at that mileage...Their solution was to correct the tire P.S.I. inflation to be 35 P.S.I....I was told by the dealership mechanic that at speeds over 45 in the GT, with low tire pressure, the car will drift as it is grabbing more of the road in the power wheel causing the pull...

He then told me that the tires inflate 4lbs more when they get hot, so if you got em at 40 plus lbs when cold, they go to the max of 44 P.S.I. and will also cause a drift as they are now overinflated...Basically keeping them at 35 allows the tire to expand as it wants to without effecting the drive...

I did this and my GT drives like it did when I drove it off the lot two months ago...Oh and I also confirmed that the GT's love to be driven above 4000 rpm when shifting during the breakin period...You'll get better shifting, smooth transition into gears, and maximum horsepower...

DAN
    On the GT or the GLS, recommended tire pressure is 30 psi cold. Check the label in the driver door. After 28K miles and nearly 21 months, there has never been pulling or any other directional trouble with my Elantra. I don't recall any other similar reports in these threads.
    Need to get to the dealer for a minor electrical problem. The red safety light inside the driver door does not shut off! Rather than yank off the door panel (no thanks) I decided to pull the fuse. Now I am temporarily without electric locks and alarm. Has anyone had this mishap before?
  • cityhall5628cityhall5628 Member Posts: 2
    At 30k the rotors are out of round again so I'll go see another Mech since the elantera's warranty is a joke no doubt. the clutch noise can't be done in hot wheather here in PHX so I'll deal withit. The headlights went out but now they say they are in warranty til 36k and I'm stuck witha light rattling around in my trunk. What abunch of [non-permissible content removed]'s here in PHX I got rid of my ford cause of after service I guess thats that. Larry Miller needs to come out of sun city soon. But I love my Elantra it's much quieter than my MAXIMA !@!
    Dealer found a short in a connector where some moisture was able to intrude. Service writer told me Hyundai knows of the problem and changed the connector, so my service dept. replaced connectors in both front doors. Everything is fine now. :)
    jimbeaumi:

Thats one for the books eh? That 6 yr/60K warranty is starting to come in handy. Glad you got it fixed. This could show up if you use a high pressure car wash often. Thanks for the tip.
  • jacobi1jacobi1 Member Posts: 32
    Hi, I frequent this board and get some great information about the GT. However, I haven't been here for a couple months so forgive me if similar issues have already been posted.
    Has anyone had any issues with their Aluminum rims? when I say 'issues' I mean the lustre fading, on mine it's faded on the back rims around the centre on the spokes. It looks like someone has taken a wirepad and scratched the surface. I live in Ontario and have just gone through a terrible winter(snow, ice, salt) but I don't think those factor would wear the rims???
    As well, paint has peeled from the rear passenger doors on the edging near the bottom? both doors??
    I'm taking the car in today and leaving for a day or so to see what they say...I'll update this post in a couple fo days. I still enjoy driving my GT but am a little concerned of the quality. This isn't my first issue, and people I know that have purchased the car have expreienced many problems...they just don't post them like us.
  • kkakka Member Posts: 2
    My paint is also peeled in the exact same location as you mentioned on the rear doors. I took the car in and they took my name. Supposedly the regional service manager is supposed to call me( yeah right)

Also my rims finish is wearing off as well. My car is a little more than 5 months old.

Please keep us posted on your efforts. I know I will be dealing with Hyundais 3 year paint warranty.. Other than the finish I have no complaints.
    OK, here's the update thus far.
    They are unsure why the paint had peeled/chipped in such an odd location but they are going to repair it. I just have to bring the car back in to leave for a couple days. As far as the RIMS goes they have not heard/seen this on the Alluminum RIMS? they were going to get in touch with Hyundai Canada to see what they can do for me?? who knows? hopefully there are more complaints. I'll keep everyone updated, they've been pretty good thus far. Of course, I'm sure the customer service will vary from dealer to dealer. Oh yeah! as a bonus they are replacing my grill, the paint seemed to have taken a beating there as well...I expected chips etc as I drive a ton in poor weather but never expected the damage that was done to the grill this winter.
  • kkakka Member Posts: 2
    That's great news!

I neglected to mention the front of my car. 7500 miles and its pitted and as you mentioned my chrome(plastic) grill is all pitted as well. The hood is not too bad but the front fascia is more pitted then I expected after 7500 miles.

Definitely shoot me a mail on your progress as I will have to live through it. At this rate my car will look like crap at 20K miles.
    No worries kka, I'll keep ypu updated on the results.

I forgot to mention another small issue that I had repaired. The side view mirrors were intermitently not working. At first I thought it may just be the cold weather? then the weather turned warm(last week, here in Ontario) and they were still giving me problems. I mentioned this to my Hyundai dealer and they replaced the motor, they both work properly now.
    When I went to get an oil change and tire rotation at my Hyundai dealership after work today, I asked the service manager about the trim that was peeling away on both front doors of my Elantra (where the bottom rear part of the window meets the black strip going up the side of the door on the outside of the car). He said that Hyundai has a fix for it. They supposedly peel this trim off and paint it over with some sort of special gunk that sticks like paint but looks and feels like what was there before. This dealership isn't a part of the Hyundai loaner car program -- yet, he said he would give me a loaner and that this job would take a day or two (I'm also having them look at my rotors at the same time too). So, if you have noticed this issue with your Elantra (and I've noticed this on about 1/4-1/3 of the Elantras I have seen in parking lots and on the road when I have a chance to look up close), then there is a real fix for it. I'll let everyone know how this works for me... and if anyone here has had this done, please tell us how the final results were.

Oh, one other issue -- has anyone here ever heard a slight clanging noise coming from the back of the car when going over certain bumps in the road? It sounds like the license plate to me (and if that's it, then good -- I just hope it's not the exhaust system or something else back there that's a little bit more important!).

Again, I recommend the Elantra -- I'm lucky to have a dealership that's willing to work with me on these minor issues I have had with it.