Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• gbthecoachgbthecoach Member Posts: 2
    Since I would have to pay a bunch of money to bring my Canadian Elantra GT to the states, my wife and I decided to buy a new car. She origanallly wanted a Vibe GT or a Mazduh 3 but was amazed at what sellers wanted for the car even a used one. She finally asked me what I thought I could get a new Elantra GT for, I figured with the current $1,250 plus a $500 customer loyalty check I could get her one new for $`14,000. I tried to grind at Ken Garff in Salt Lake City (The owner Mr Garff's son) really pushes that he is a former speaker of the Utah state house and ever more so that he has had prominant positions in the LDS church. His staff at the Hyundai dealership could not have been more rude. I got a quote from a dealer in Denver and Las Vegas and then went to Garff. His manager suddenly got cocky and said I will look after you and practically give you the car......

His idea of a gift was $14,650 plus $399 doc and a few other charges (local tax not included) Acording to this site it was decent but I want a real deal. I informed him that a dealer in denver was over a thousand cheaper, at that point he got very rude and said "Why dont you call Planet Hyundai in Vegas, they give them away heck you might pay only 13k for it out the door" I told him Planet Hyundai quoted me 13,500. At that point he said "No way they are crooks, demand expensive financing to get that price and they will cheat you. I tried to show him the quote as they gaurantee a lower price or 500 dollars in cash is yours. He said again "No way, you need to fly to Vegas and bring back a bill of sale, I dont trust them"....It is Ken Garff I dont trust.

Planet Hyundai did make one mistake with my quote....They made a quote for an automatic, when the relized I wanted a 5 speed the price went down to $12,800 after my rebates and included everything including the local tag to drive it home. I had to pay tax in UTAH....

Ken Garff is over 2k more then the Planet and now they dont want to pay me my $500. I will be standing outside their lot with a list of Planet Hyundai prices for every different Hyundai....

For $12,800 including leather, power roof, ABS, traction controll, Side airbags and a pretty nice stereo. My wife is so excited finally she has a car that she does not feel cheated on. She loves it and so do I......Thx Planet Hyundai, maby I could have saved a few more bucks grinding harder, I would like to know what the best buy out there for the full load GT is????????????????????????????
  • spmrebelspmrebel Member Posts: 130
    Is that the out the door price? If it is that is a steal. Even with tax and license on top of that its a great buy!

I got my Elantra GT sedan with automatic, package 8 (moonroof, ABS, traction, etc) for an out the door price of $12850 +- a few dollars. This is in southern California (Irvine to be exact).

Anyway, good luck.

Shawn
  • doohickiedoohickie Member Posts: 949
    I noticed that Elantras at my local dealer were red tagged to about $2k less than the sticker. This probably includes factory rebate of $1250 (which has now been extended through end of Sept.) I'm hoping to do a bit better than that, but we'll see.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    $2k less than sticker including rebates is a good start... ;)
  • gbthecoachgbthecoach Member Posts: 2
    I am excited because the Salt lake deal Ken Garff now admits they owe me $500 because they could not match the out the door price of $12,800 (pre tax) the are saying giving me $500 is cheaper then selling the car. I dont believe that because why would a dealer in Vegas loose money to sell me a car. But I will enjoy the Elantra knowing that it cost me 12,800 less $500 from Ken Garff.
  • iwantonetooiwantonetoo Member Posts: 86
    Tom Chevrolet-Hyundai in Norwood, MA has a dealer added sticker for market value adjustment. Each Hyundai has $1797 added to the sticker price, regardless of model. Has anyone else encountered this?
    No, but you should report that one to the Comedy Channel.

That gives me an idea, though. Next time I submit an offer for a car, I can have a line item for "market reality adjustment."
  • iwantonetooiwantonetoo Member Posts: 86
    I have seen the markup for in demand cars and hard to get models, but on the entire Hyundai line with a hundred of them on the lot, and 05's to boot!
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    a Hyundai dealership in Burlington, NJ and another one in Turnersville, NJ that does the same thing on "ALL" of them!! One of them advertises a great price for XXXX model, and then, way down in the fine fine print, there will be the $1700.00
    "added dealer fees"!!!!!
    What about "advertising fees"? They are supposedly 1-3% of the value of the car, and added on by the dealer. Can these get bargained away or what?
    I have read in several Hyundai forums that there is a $500.00 "advertising fee" on certain area dealers Mulrooney stickers...and some don"t have that charge...I know when I priced the Hyundai Tuscon in the Melbourne, Fla. area (two different dealerships)...both claimed that it was a mandatory cost (and the way Hyundai and Kia advertise in my area (full page ads a couple of times/week) I would assume that it is a mandatory cost!! However; I have also read that in some areas, the dealers are not chaged this $500.00 fee!! I, personally, don't know who to believe, as every Hyundai dealership I have visited ALL had the ADM stickers worth anywhere from 1200 to 1700 dollars...so go figure????
    I finally gave up trying to deal for a Tuscon or any Hyundai, as there are plenty of other dealerships in Florida that will sell you a vehicle for Tax/Tags/License and "NO additional fees!!
    When the sales guy vaguely referred to advertising fees, I pointed out that no other product charges advertising fees, and that if the advertising isn't paying for itself in the business it generates, maybe they shouldn't be wasting their money.

He just kinda sat there.... speechless.
  • miamixtmiamixt Member Posts: 600
    So far we have read about these Fees. Fees come in many different forms.
    "Market Adjustment Fees", now that sounds insane.
    "Advertising Fees", there are Advertising Fees associated with this Product, and not paid from the Manufacturer!.
    "Dealer Service Fees", everything from that free Cup of Coffee to the Janitor.
    "Aftermarket Sticker", the worst Fee you should see. (aside from that Market Adj. Fee)
    Should you pay any Fees? If you get your Car at the best possible price, true Invoice, and all available Rebates & Discounts are applied, I have no problem with a Dealer Fee, in my case $495
    I have no problem with any fee the dealer tries to charge. It's a free enterprise system. And I am free to take my business someplace else.

That being said, I've never been charged any advertising fee or "additional dealer markup" fee when shopping for Elantras at four different Hyundai dealers in my area over the past five years. So this "advertising fee" thing is either regional, or it's practiced only in less competitive markets where dealers think they can get away with it. Fortunately for me, I live in a major metropolitan area with many car dealers, lots of competition for my money.
    Fort Worth, Texas, is the nineteenth largest city in the U.S. There are several Hyundai dealerships in and around Fort Worth, and just about any other dealer you can think of, usually several of each, within easy driving distance. In my case, I think the advertising fee is charged by all Hyundai dealers and is used by the local Hyundai dealers association to buy local television and print ads. I think.

Nevertheless, advertising is a cost of doing business for all products and it is never added to the cost of the product. If it is not cost-beneficial to purchase the advertising, they should refrain from doing it. They certainly should not insult the buyer by trying to pass it on to him.

That's my story and I'm gonna try to stick to it.

;)
    you go to Florida or New Jersey (and they are NOT less competitive markets).I am not disagreeing with you...only telling you that that advertising fee is part of the sticker in some areas and Florida and New jersey are not small market areas!!!! ....and ADM's... that's the norm in these areas!!!!!
    If that's the way it is in Florida and New Jersey, then no way I am going there to buy a car! :) Re-read my post and you'll see that I suggested that one explanation for these advertising fees is that they are regional... and that does appear to be the case, since they are not charged everywhere. ADMs are applied by some dealers in my area--just not Hyundai dealers (yet).

You meant to say that advertising fees are a part of the invoice, not the sticker, right?
    Yes, the invoice. What I am saying is Florida and New Jersey are NOT SMALL MARKET areas!!!!
    Fees, Negotiable and Not
    There are many hidden fees and charges in the sales process: some inevitable, others questionable and some just plain wrong. The required charges — destination charge, tax, title and license fees which are legitimate. The following are questionable:

Market Value Adjustment Fees. Doc or Conveyance fee: This stands for documentation fee, purportedly to cover the cost of paperwork. It's usually less than $50. Some dealers will refuse to budge on it.
    Prep fee: The dealer preparation fee is assessed to cover the cost of preparing the car to hand over. This one's pretty bogus. The factory covers the prep fee. Ask precisely what this charge entails. Figure out what it should really cost and negotiate it down or out completely.
    delivery charge: Be careful with this one. The factory's destination charge, which may be referred to as the delivery charge, is required and non-negotiable. Sometimes dealers tack on an additional delivery charge of their own. Don't pay both!.
    Advertising fee: This one's tough for people to swallow because it can be as high as a few percent of the price, and because they don't think they should pay the cost of bringing people to the store. This is a gray area, though.
    Note that the four fees above are labeled questionable, not unreasonable. Be sure to ask for an explanation of any fee you don't understand. The dealer may have taken a loss or slim profit along the way, and your fighting over something like a doc fee when the deal is nearly wrapped up may be counterproductive. Choose your battles wisely.
  • banjoecbanjoec Member Posts: 5
    Just purchased my 2nd Elantra from the guys at Highpoint. A hassle free experience that did not insulting my intelligence. They offered to sell the car at invoice.(which includes a $385 advertising fee) So basically I paid $385 over invoice. Told them exactly what I weanted and they located it at a dealer about 50 miles away.
    GLS sedan, 5 speed trans, with the moonroof/ cruise/ stereo upgrade package. Moonroof deflector, mudgaurds + floormats.
    Paid $12,932 + Tax and Tags.
    First Elantra was an '02 that gave me 152,000 trouble free miles. Sold for 2K to a friend.
  • stargatestargate Member Posts: 1
    hi, i am new at this. i came into chat to compare feedback of cars. my old 91 olds is on last leg. to expensive to keep. had this car since 92. i hate dealing dealers.
    i am going to visit a toyota dealer to ch the corella, the hyundai for the electra. and the honda for the civic. looking for a deal. will put a few thousands down. and am researching.
    an input u can give me to assist me. which is the better car mechanically. i do not want a shift. but a manual. no frills, just a/c and cd. no moonroof. mostly for local and some long haul driving. my name is sandy. i am older than u all. so input would be nice. thanks.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,061
    This discussion might be a good place to start....

Economy Sedans (~$16k-$20k)

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• funnygirlfunnygirl Member Posts: 4
    I think i got ripped off after reading this forum...I bought a 2005 gls for my daughter automatic,pw pd blah...I paid 11,400 for the car then 12,231 with tax tag and title...I feel like a fool....Oy...I got it in GA..When i offered 11,000 they said that was impossible... :sick:
    Why do you feel like a fool? What was the list price of the car, about $14,700 or more, right? You got about $3300 off on the car! Even if you qualified for the loyalty rebate, that's still under invoice before rebates. Seems like a good deal to me. Bear in mind that not every market is the same, so the deals some people get are simply not available in every city. Enjoy your new Elantra!
    The car on Edmunds lists for 13600....the lowest plain hyundai with auto they make no extraslink">
    Now i feel even worse..I guess im a sucker..Edmunds has it listed with the rebate for like 12,300..
    I don't understand. You got the car for $11,400--which is nearly $1100 LESS than Edmunds' "true market value" price, including the $1250 rebate. Why do you think you are a "sucker"???
    fuunygirl,
    The Edmunds price does NOT include tax, tags, title, etc. You got a GOOD deal...Period!!!!
  • dromeyndromeyn Member Posts: 1
    Don't feel bad. You got a much better deal than I did on the one I just bought yesterday in GA. I am just so bad when it comes to dealing with car salesmen.

I got a 2005 gls automatic with just cruise control and floor mats. This was a loaner car and has 4500 miles on it. I ended up paying $13,800. Out the door price after taxes and rebate applied, etc etc was $14,070.
  • rjeskeyrjeskey Member Posts: 29
    I just bought a 2005 Elantra GLS 4 door Automatic with everything that listed for $17,194. After thinking about it I should have bought a GT which is about the same price and I would have got leather and alloy wheels. The only problem was no one had it in black. I ended up paying $14,944 which included the rebate for it and I got free Mats. Was that a good deal?
  • zoomzoomitiszoomzoomitis Member Posts: 45
    Dude (...or Dudette?), they definitely went to the bank on ya. My dad just bought the same EXACT car; GLS auto with the #2 pkg, mats AND (whoop-dee-doo!) mud guards for $12600(before tax & tags). FWIW, the car only had 13 miles or so on it when he smiled and depreciatingly drove it off the new car lot into the sunset of happy Hyundai-dom. Serial # on it was in the 180's which suggested a most recent arrival on the dealer's lot.

PS For all you '06 Elantra waiters like me, not a one in sight...yet. Did notice Kia has the Spectra '06 5 doors showin' up. Local dealer ran an add in Sunday's paper announcing the arrival of the '06's (Elantras) but their website lists nothing in stock. Misprint? Typo? Bait & Switch? Who cares! Thinkin' we're on the verge of another rebate. Yeeeeeah baby! :)
  • rjeskeyrjeskey Member Posts: 29
    Thanks! I can bring it back today since I didnt sign papers yet. They forced me to take it home last night. This was the highest option package. I dont think the car can have any other options on it.
    i paid a total of 12,231.00.. so i was told since its almost a year old and no cruise just mats and disk brakes it was a rotten deal :cry:
    Tell whoever told you that you got a rotten deal the following: :P
  • happy8happy8 Member Posts: 1
    thank you all for adding to this website. I was a first time new car shopper, and not used to asking to lower printed prices. Knowing some real world stories & numbers helped alot.

First of all, I was really shopping for a Toyota Corolla. I like the way they drive and was willing to pay for good quality and reliability. Many people mentioned the good prices & warranties of Hyundai, so I test drove it and was surprised at what a great car it is.
    Monday I bought a silver 2005 Elantra Automatic Package 3 (with cruise control & CD, airbags, keyless entry, power windows, mirrors, door locks, A/C) Manufacturers suggested retail price was 15394. After the 1250 rebate and asking cash discount and saying I did not need trunk cargo net or mud guards (but got them anyway)...my sweet salesguy sold me the car for 13449 including freight but not tax or title. I am very happy because there was another sticker price of 16489 that included a 995 charge for appearance & protection that I knew didn't have to pay for.

I really think my salesguy at Antwerpen in Catonsville Md (which is considered Baltimore) was excellent. He removed the pinstripe on the car BEFORE I paid for it because I didn't want it & didn't provide any pressure on me at all. He said he hadn't sold a car all day and he would like to see me buy a car. I didn't "negotiate" with anyone else and just paid a check to the financial manager.
    Maybe I paid too much but I only spent one day going to 3 different dealers after doing all my research on the internet. The first dealer (Bob Bell) in Glen Burnie didn't have what I wanted in stock and said the weekend wiped out their selection. He also took 2 days to call me back about other dealers availability. The second dealer (Spirit of Hyundai in Annapolis) disappeared into the store while I looked around the parking lot and I had to search for him. Once I said I didn't need all the appearance protection stuff (which was 1000 more than at Antwerpen) he told me I absolutely had to "negotiate" with the General Manager. I told him I just wanted a simple price and he was still insistent.

Also Antwerpen has a huge selection of cars right off the boat. My car was covered with shipping paper when I first looked at it.
    I have Pin Stripes, some here dont like stripes. Many Cars come with that appearance Protection package you mentioned. And no I didn't pay the $1495 but they couldn't un Scotch guard, un pin stripe, un gloss me, rip out the wheel well moldings, and door edge guards, or could they?. It sounds like you are happy with the Car, I'm not sure you got the best price, you started at MSRP, and stopped at the $1250 Rebate, so you paid $500 under MSRP with the rebate applied. I would have started at 'around' Invoice, and then had the rebate applied. I paid $11.5 out the Door when the 05's just hit the street. No CD. though.
    There's always the possibility of driving the price down a little more by cross-shopping multiple dealerships--assuming that is an option, for some it's not. I don't mind doing that if I can save $100 or more. On my first Elantra, I actually paid $100 more at one dealership because they offered exactly the color I wanted compared to a dealership across town (a BIG town), and I would have wasted a lot of time driving back over there to get $100 more off but not the color I really wanted.

But there is also something to be said for getting a decent deal and having a pleasurable, no-hassle buying experience. I think that is why the "no haggle" dealerships that are popping up all over are popular. They don't offer the very best price possible, but you know that you are getting a good discount and no one else who shops there will get a better discount.
  • smengsmeng Member Posts: 1
    It sounds like people are paying about the same for this car. I just bought a 2005 GLS with option package #3 (cruise control, etc.) with mats and paid $13,103 (before tax and tag). I'm very happy with the purchase considering I was thinking about paying $13,013 for a Scion with no cruise control, no automatic, and less of a warranty.
    At least in Las Vegas & Miami. Subject to one a day, read the fine print, must qualify for all rebates. When I went to buy last year, I brought in that days ad for $10,999, the dealer hadn't sold a Unit all day, and that's what I paid. If you read these threads, you will find others that got a similar deal. I even had my Dealer include Cruise Control, no CD. And now that the 06's are coming, $13, 500 seems like a high price?
    ...read the fine print,...

Yes, I've seen ads like these and have read the fine print. You need to a) own a Hyundai already, b) qualify for the military rebate, c) qualify for the student rebate, d) pay a "processing fee" or similar that is usually several hundred dollars, and e) get there early because it's almost always "one only, stock #xxxxxx".
  • lovetosavegaslovetosavegas Member Posts: 73
    Aslo, it seems like the prices on economy cars in general are going up for some reason. In Austin, we used to get 9999 - 10999 'read fine print' ads last year, but no more :(
    My guess it has something to do with the high gas prices. Anyone else is seeing similar phenomenon?
  • fisherman2fisherman2 Member Posts: 20
    I bought my daughter an Elantra in Tom's River NJ,Lester Glenn.
    I paid 11,300,before taxs and tags with a 1995 Maxima with 137,000 miles an no air bags as a trade.
    The car was sticker at 14,849
    Used the 1250 rebate and got other rebates from the Dealership.
    Did I get a decent deal on this car?
    As Backy says, you need to go through every hoop and hurdle when obtaining the Newspaper price, and that's why I brought it up. I didn't qualify for any of the above stipulations, yet received all of them & the $1250 rebate. It's a game, the Car Business, it's always been. Oh, best of all, didn't have to show up early!

And about the "processing fee". Yes, we have spoken before about this and other fees. However if you are getting a killer deal, as noted on the Edmunds tips about fees, you might consider paying it . Example, my Dealer fee of $499.95 is built into the purchase agreement form. As it is my Dealer took a loss on my Elantra, but only gave me a fair offer on my trade in. I did go home with $7000 Cash, dig that!
    I didn't qualify for any of the above stipulations, yet received all of them & the $1250 rebate.

You really must share your secret of how you did that. For instance, when I bought an Elantra last year and there was a loyalty rebate, I had to show proof of ownership for my other Hyundai. How did you get around that? And how did you get the military rebate without qualifying, or the student rebate? If just anyone can get these without qualifying, that would be very useful to know.
  • rewilsonrewilson Member Posts: 3
    I'm trying to buy an Elantra now. The worst is yet to come. The service manager at a local dealer told me that the "bumper to bumper" warranty does not exist. The sale people insist that it does.
    I have an extended warranty (10yr/100,000 mile) top of the line Platinum warranty for my Santa Fe. I brought it in for a problem it had and was told that it required a $120. assessment fee! This dealer had provided good service until they hired this manager and instituted a change of policy (allegedly by Hyundai) which essentially nullifies coverage under their warranties, even those costing over $1000. Hyundai has completely gutted their warranty. A relatively recent change is the exclusion of the entire emissions system. Their are many exclusions introduced each quarter yet the sales staff continue to sell the good (and they were) points of their initial bumper to bumper warranty.
    Be sure to consider their support in light of the need for repairs.

Also, if you're trying to obtain quotes you can forget about it. They run through staff so quickly that any deal struck quickly becomes obsolete. :P :P :P
    This seems like very unreasonable behavior by the dealership, so that begs some questions like, is this "assessment fee" the usual fee that dealerships charge (mine charges $89) to determine whether a problem is warranty-related or not, and if it is they waive the fee; if it isn't and you have the problem fixed there, they deduct the fee from repair costs. Is it anything like that?

It's hard to believe that a manager at a dealership could nullify coverage under Hyundai's warranties. Not even Hyundai can unilaterally nullify an in-force warranty--it is a contract. You should report that behavior to Hyundai Customer Support. They can't simply introduce exclusions every quarter to in-force warranties. They can of course make ongoing changes to new warranties. For example, a few years ago the powertrain warranty was transferrable within the original owner's immediate family. Now that is no longer the case.

Also, Hyundai must cover the emissions system on their cars. There are federal and state regulations about warranty coverage on emissions systems that they must follow, at a minimum.

Maybe you should try a different dealership, if there are others in your area.
    You really must share your secret of how you did that. For instance, when I bought an Elantra last year and there was a loyalty rebate, I had to show proof of ownership for my other Hyundai. How did you get around that? And how did you get the military rebate without qualifying, or the student rebate? If just anyone can get these without qualifying, that would be very useful to know.

I don't quite understand it all myself? I bought at a huge Multi Branded Dealership owned by a Congressman in Miami. They had not moved a single Hyundai that day. I didn't go there to name my own price or bargain with them, frankly unaware of all the different rebates, I had "the Ad". My Subaru XT Trade in was valued at $18,300. The 05 Elantra GLS A/T with Package 2 (cruise control, & mats) was $11,3000. I took home a check for $7000. Now it was a little harder than it seemed to obtain the final results, but that's how it went down!
  • danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    We can show you discounts that may be similar to the amount of those rebates, but if you don't qualify, the dealer cannot give them to you. You do have to show proof of ownership for loyalty. You need an LES to get the military rebate, and a copy of your diploma for the college grad. You also must finance through HMFC to get the college grad rebate.
    I didn't say I qualified or collected any rebate other than the $1000, which was supposed to be $1250. A couple months later my Dealer made my deal sweeter with a $250 Check. The Newspapers fine print usually says "dealer collects all rebates", "must qualify for all offers" etc... I don't understand the 'pressure' of not writing a single deal during a given day, however I'm sure Dan does and that's where his advice comes in!. While I could have expected a few Hundred Dollars more on my Trade, the end result in this rare negative equity purchase was the new Elantra, the check, and no Tax paid!
  • zoomzoomitiszoomzoomitis Member Posts: 45
    ...the World's Greatest Joke Book that is!

Stopped by my friendly neighborhood Hyundai dealer in search of the end of year, end of quarter, end of month deal on a new Elantra GT. NOT exactly my dream car but one I'm considering amongst others (Dang I wish that Zoomer 3 hatch w/160 ponies wasn't so overpriced!). Since my trade ain't gonna fetch a whole lot ('00 Protege' w/177,000 in MINT condition BTW), wonderin' if Mr. & Mrs. Hyundai corporation is going to help me by increasin' that rebate a bit after Friday's deadline for an early next month sale (you listenin' doohickie?). Sales fella quickly brings me inside to show me "the latest" from HQ. I paraphrase: "Due to hurricane Katrina...gas prices...market forces...factory didn't build enough Elantra's for current year...blah, blah, blah...the current rebate will be removed from the Elantra lineup after 9/30. None to follow. Will allow corporation to increase rebates in other model lineups. Should reduce supply outstanding..."

My thoughts: Whadduh crock!!! Let me get this straight Hyundai. Your very dated 5 year old 2005 Elantra overstock will now be sold at full price. Even though we are on the doorstep of the '06's showing up. (Again, sales fella feigns no clue on the actual arrival date..."November or something" he says.).

Wow! Do people actually believe this stuff?! First it was the $500 loyalty b.s.(nope haven't owned one and I might never at this discriminatory slap in the face) and now it's the "we didn't build enough cars" statement. Waaaaahooooo! Gotta love the horse theivin' business!