Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• doohickiedoohickie Member Posts: 949
    Black trim is available only on the GTs.... AND all hatchbacks, including GLS models. I have a GLS hatch and it has black trim.

To me, the only really, really nice things about the GT that the GLS doesn't have are the alloy rims and leather seats. As for the rest of it, you can upgrade a stereo, add fog lights (I just did this myself), etc., but the seats and rims are expensive to acquire if you get a GLS.

And in my case, I decided the leather wasn't too good anyway when I took a GT out for a test drive on a 100 degree day.

If I had some GT rims I'd have all the GT features I want.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The sunroof option (which includes ABS and traction control, btw) lists at $1150, invoice $1035. So IMO the price for the car with the moonroof should be a little less.

Can't tell you much more about the deal you were offered because you didn't say whether it has an automatic or stick or which rebates you qualify for. Invoice on the stick car is $15,689 with the moonroof package and no other options. There's a $1000 general rebate. So if your car has a stick, it's not a very good deal. If it has an automatic, it's a pretty good (but not great) deal--unless you qualify for other rebates.
  • tsgeiseltsgeisel Member Posts: 352
    The place I went to today, both the sales manager and the floor manager disavowed knowledge of a 5-door GLS. On the other hand, the *only* 5-door they had on the lot was an '05 GT, so that was probably an example of a salesman lying to me. Also the hazard of a multi-brand dealership.

Anyway, I'm thinking if I can get that dealer down to $13.5k sales (not counting rebates or tax+fees), I'll be doing well, even counting the fact that it's on '05.

Thoughts?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Personally I would avoid that dealership, given that you know they are dishonest. What equipment does the '05 GT have? If it's fully loaded, $13.5k would be a great deal. Make sure the paint is in good condition after sitting all that time and make sure they change the oil. Since it's a '05, you might see if they will toss some extras in like some oil changes, mud flaps, or the extended warranty (at a real good price).
    Ask them if they have the internet at the dealership and show them the GLS hatch at HyundaiUSA.com. Here's are twos directly link to the pages: 2006 Elantra Pricing, 2006 Elantra GLS

Or, just print out this picture of a 2006 GLS from the Hyundai website (you can tell it's a GLS by no alloy wheels and no fog lamps):
  • jpievansjpievans Member Posts: 4
    The sales price was $12,750 plus TTL. The trade in reduced it to $11,550 plus TTL. It seemed like a pretty good deal to me too! I think if you are a really aggressive bargainer you might be able to strike an even better deal since I only went a few rounds to get this deal. But I love what all this information on the web has done to car buying. Everybody knows what they should be paying so it all comes down to who treats you right. I have already put 1000 miles on my new car and so far I really love it. I think most people under estimate Hyundai and don't realize what quality cars they are now making.
  • spazzumsspazzums Member Posts: 7
    I have been so thrilled with my new car that I forgot to stop back in here and thank you guys!

I ended up getting the 5 speed GLS hatchback with mudflaps for $12,100. That included a $2000 allowance for my trade in, which was about 1500 over what I was expecting for it. Overall, I am happy as they came down over $2500 from their starting price when I test drove the car.

I did get the black and splurged a bit on their paint protection plan, and they also cut me a deal on that as well.

Thanks for all the help in getting this settled!!!! Now I am off to the other forums to find out how to take care of my new car!
  • spazzumsspazzums Member Posts: 7
    Oh, and that $12,100 included TTL.
  • markdweaselmarkdweasel Member Posts: 2
    Hi there.
    In the process of getting a new Elantra for my wife and got some quotes I was hoping you can give me some ideas if I am getting a good deal or not.

2006 Elantra SE, 4DR

MRSP 20580
    Freight and PDI 1345
    Misc charges 200 or so
    0% financing for 3 years... Promotion with Hyundai.

I got a quote for $23500($19975 before tax) out the door.
    Is that reasonable? could do better? or a steal?
    Effectively they removed the PDI/Freight and some of the misc charges.

Thanks a mill in advance.

Mark
    $1.00 Canadian = $.88 U.S., so the $19975 Canadian before tax is about $17,600 U.S. I don't think I've ever heard of someone paying that much for an Elantra. On the other hand, 0% interest helps, but the savings (over, say, 6% which is what I got last October) isn't very much because of the short term of 3 years.

Maybe Canadian market is a little higher, but that doesn't sound like a great deal to me.
  • markdweaselmarkdweasel Member Posts: 2
    It is actually higher. I wish I could buy the car the US and drive it over. I don't think I can though.
    The MRSP is $20580 before taxes/freight/PDI. The dealer effectively is charging me the MSRP + the taxes and discounting the freight,PDI and admin charges.

Is this a fair deal (without comparing it to the US market)?

Mark
    I don't know; the U.S. market is all I know. Maybe someone else from Canada can let you know.
    2005 Elantra GT, 5-door, with all option packages.

This is still on the lot - the car had 76 miles after my test drive, and likely not too many more since then.

I'm trying to get it for $15k out the door, but the dealer still doesn't want to go that low, although the gap between us is getting narrower.

Should I just bite the bullet and come up to the dealer's price? It's a little more than I'm hoping to spend in general (but not totally out of my range), and I'm not sure I need all the options, but I do kinda like the idea of the sunroof and the leather seats. On the other hand, this is an '05 that nobody visiting that dealership wants, so holding out longer has some appeal. I've been exercising my power of "no" and of walking away from the table, but they have me in that they know I like the car. So we're both playing it tough here.

It's a tough choice, especially when I can get an '06 GLS without all the fancy stuff for $14,300 out the door, although at a dealership an hour away. That's their internet price; I'm not sure how much haggle space I would have there.

I guess what I'm trying to fight is the feeling of "I win" associated with this particular car. That I've invested so much energy in the negotiation and that model, that I'm overlooking the better deal I can get elsewhere.

Anyway, any and all advice or constructive comments appreciated. Thanks.
    Leather doesn't do it for me, but I wish I could get a set of GT rims. Other than that, the GLS has pretty much everything I would want.

I doubt there is any haggle room on the internet price. I paid a little less for my GLS 5-door, but in 05 you didn't get the fancy stereo standard, so that makes up the difference.

The loaded GT price is good, but after all it *is* a 2005 model so I'd probably be tempted to low ball them too.
    I sit corrected. I just got the call that my $15k out the door price was accepted. I'll fill out the paperwork either tomorrow morning or Saturday.

This for a fully loaded (Option packages 1 & 2), automatic, GT 5-door. Electric Red isn't my first choice of colors, but it's an acceptable one.

Buyers remorse is, of course, starting to settle in, but so is some excitement...
    You got a good deal! Enjoy!

You got the same color as me. Not my first choice either, but it grows on you.

The buyers remorse will quickly fade when you put your Tibby sway bar on (hint, hint).
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has recently purchased a GLS 5 door with AT, particularily those from the San Antonio/Austin area to see what others are paying. Dealers here are telling me $14,000.00 plus TT&L and I'm reading the posts where many are paying considerably less.
    I paid $13,900 plus TT&L in October in Fort Worth when the rebates were at their worst. And the 05 was still the current model year; the 06 Elantras had not yet arrived. (Same car- 5 door, AT. Mine has the base stereo.)

The only possible reason I can see for a higher price at this point would be the relative rarity of hatchbacks.
    Thanks for the feedback, may wait until the 07 Accent comes out as I don't see prices dropping any time soon on the 06's since they are so limited.
    I was quoted $14,400 out the door in Northern CA on an '06 Hatchback with AT.

I was able to find an '05 GT elsewhere, so I went with that, but the other price was tempting.
  • habhavsarhabhavsar Member Posts: 12
    Hi-
    I want to purchase an Elantra(2006) GLS with automatic trans. in NJ. Can anybody please suggest a good (honest?) dealer I can start talking to? Any good experiences?
    Thanks in advance!
    Not sure about that area, but try looking up Edmunds True Market Value for the car you are interested in; it gives you a pretty good idea of whether you're getting a good deal.
  • tllastotllasto Member Posts: 2
    Can any one tell me what a good price would be for a 2006 Hyundai Elantra 4 door hatchback, automatic, ABS with traction control? We live in central NY, the dealer said the MSRP is $16895, and they would go to $16095. I think that they could go much lower. I need help.
    You should be in the $14s.
  • tllastotllasto Member Posts: 2
    Would that be before a rebate or after? Thank you.
    I was being quoted $14.4k out the door (tax, title, license included) for a GLS hatch with Automatic transmission. Check out the Edmunds site for the cost of the ABS/Traction control package and add that in.

The price seems a bit high, but not outrageously so. You should be able to get them to come down a bit, but don't expect an order of magnitude difference.

A lot will depend on how well they're selling in your area.

And if it doesn't look like they're willing to budge on the price, feel free to say something like "That's ok. I can wait for the new '07s to come out anyway." See if they don't lower the price right there.
  • njdevil1njdevil1 Member Posts: 45
    even tho we never bought a car from there, we think Lester Glen Hyundai in Toms River is o.k. Friends have bought cars from High Point Hyundai in Sussex and seemed pleased. We bought all our hyundais from Lehigh Valley Hyundai in Emmaus, PA. they are excellant especially their service.
    I got the following quote from Lehigh Valley Hyundai...
    "$13881 including the rebate plus tax and tags"
    After reading this forum I belive I should get around $13000-13500 Drive Out price, correct? I am still waiting for quotes from other two.
    Any suggestions? Thanks.
    if you can get a lower price, see if lehigh valley will beat it.
    "$13881 including the rebate plus tax and tags"
    After reading this forum I belive I should get around $13000-13500 Drive Out price, correct?

At that point, you're getting to be in the "noise". $13,500 vs. $13,800?

Also, are you talking AT, what options, etc.?
    It's Elantra GLS 4 door sedan.
    Lester Glen, in Toms River, NJ also gave the ditto quote - 13881 after rebates and discounts + state fees and sales tax.
    ?
    If it's auto trans, that's pretty good. It's about what I paid for my 05 hatch and don't all the 06s come with the upgraded stereo including tweeters on the doors? I had to add tweeters to my car.
  • spex2000spex2000 Member Posts: 4
    We drove from CA to TX 1st week of April to help my stepson (at Ft.Hood ) get a first car, preferably an Accent. After a 1st trip to the Killeen and Kyle dealerships w/o a deal, we ended up in Waco on a siteseeing trip. They didnt have an Accent (5 spd stick w/ air) but showed us the Elantra. For about the same MSRP, (over 14k), the car had WAY better standard features. He gave us a quote of about $12,500 INCLUDING TT&L. We wanted to show it to my stepson first and on our trip back to the base, we stopped at the Killeen dealership who matched the price. We added the GAP insurance for $189. Total came to $12,700 after 3 rebates totaling $2000( hyundai 1000, loyalty 500, military 500). The only option was the trunk tray and we got the dealer "appearance package" (tinted windows and "scotchguard"-yeah right)thrown in for free.
    We think we got a good deal for our son. I would recommend either dealership, Automax in Killeen or the Waco Dodge/ Hyundai dealer that gave us the first price. :)
    check with lehigh valley Hyundai again. Believe me, you will find out why?
    Thanks for the information, I'll have to look into those dealerships. Here the 5 door Elantra's are running about $14,000.00 plus tt&l. They are in limited supplies so that is what keeps the price up and since I don't currently own a Hyundai I don't qualify for the loyalty discount and being retired military doesn't qualify me as being military.
    I'm sorry,I should have said that we didn't buy the 5 door w/ AT, we bought the sedan with the 5 speed. I just wanted to show the approximate discounts that dealers can give. BTW, when we got back, we saw a local dealer in CA advertising a "1 only at this price " at $9500 +TTL including all the rebates. The deals ARE out there. Good luck! :)
    alot of times that one car was just sold before you got there so be careful- it's usually bait.
    My feeling about the "1 only at this price" deals is that if they can offer discounts like that on one car, I can get the same discount on another car and I wont't buy until I get that price. Locally, here in So-Cal, I've been seeing more dealers advertising multiple deals, i.e. "3 at this price", "5 at ...." , etc. and more. What worked for us on the TX deal was the Waco dealer actually trying to get the Elantra price down into the Accent ranges advertised in the local papers! :P
    Hyundai Elantra 2006 GLS 4 door Automatic (standard package, nothing additional)=I got $13400 drive out price (including everything) from a dealer in NJ. I will call a couple of dealers who claim to beat any price bu $200 on Monday to see they can beat this. I think $13400 is a good price itself, right? Please advice.
    Try lehigh valley I am pretty sure they will beat it.check my previous post.
    Thanks for your help. I read your previos post and it says, "check with lehigh valley Hyundai again. Believe me, you will find out why? " I am sorry but I could not understand the 'why' part. Or is it cut in half and not posted the full lenght? Anyways, it will be great if you can explain in little detail. I have sent an email to Lehigh Valley Hyundai with the prices I got from the NJ dealers yesterday. Let's see if they can come up with better on Monday. I will post it. Thanks again.
    we are preferred customers and have been in contact with them (management)
    even tho we now live in North Carolina we still deal with lehigh valley. they have been very good to us, service, etc.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Where is Lehigh Valley?
    It is in Emmaus (Allentown) Pennsylvania, off of route 78.
  • averigejoeaverigejoe Member Posts: 559
    With thanks to: mattgg1 May 15, 2006 (8:01 am)
    Replying to: mosquitosan (May 14, 2006 6:38 pm) (Sonata price board.)

Why do people continually post OTD pricing in a forum that is used by people all across the country?

The costs of sales tax, registration fees, tags, ect. vary wildy depending on where you live. Therefore, OTD pricing is NOT HELPFUL.

People, just post the costs of the car, options/accessories, and any fees the dealer charged!

Example of a $20,000 car...
    Location 1 - Sales tax (9.5%), tags/title ($200)
    Location 2 - Sales tax (4.0%), tags/title ($40)

In this example, the OTD price of the exact same vehicle would be nearly $1300 higher in Location 1.
    I received a price quote yesterday from a dealership in San Antonio on a GLS model with automatic transmission and floor mats for $12,500.00 sales tax of $781.25 and tags and title fee of $219.00 for an out the door price of $13,500.00. The only problem is that the car has hail damage so I am wondering if this is a good price in light of the hail damage. While it is not too bad it is noticeable and have heard from other dealerships that it may affect certain parts of the warranty unless repaired and documented. Any feedback would be appreciated.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Ask the dealership's body shop for a written estimate to repair the hail damage or get an estimate from an independent body shop. Add the cost of repairs to the quoted price to see what you are really paying.

If you buy that car "as is" and it gets totaled sometime in the future, this pre-existing damage will be deducted from the book value of the car (if the damage is not repaired). You could be looking at hundreds of dollars of damage, maybe over $1K.

The damage is probably extensive compared to the price they are asking for the car. Otherwise, they would repair it, at their cost, and sell the car without the damage for a higher price.

Be very careful. This does not look like a good deal on the surface.
    Thanks for the information I too was leery of the deal as wondered why they didn't do the work themselves not to mention that they accepted the figure I threw out to them. Appreciate the information.
  • kaijadkaijad Member Posts: 7
    I was living in Jersey City when I bought my 05 GT hatchback (auto, sunroof). I got it actually at Hyundai of Manhattan. $13,300 plus ttl. I think it was a fluke. The guy who sold it to me was fired that same week. But they were quite easy to deal with in hindsight.