Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• sonotuhsonotuh Member Posts: 9
    Looking to buy an 08 Elantra GLS with Popular options package (no sunroof) for my wife. What's the average "best price" for the CAR - not the OTD. What's the actual best price, on average, that people are seeing for one of these cars - no taxes, no rebates (I'm going to take the financing)? Thanks ... hope some people are browsing this forum today, I plan to go down to the dealership this afternoon to swing an end of the month deal.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Those seem like pretty good deals, but if you don't mind driving a bit, Towne Hyundai in New Jersey has an Internet price on all Elantras of $1950 under invoice, plus the $1000 rebate. It might be worth at least a call or email to them to see what kind of deal they could give you on the package you're looking for.
  • zdizekzdizek Member Posts: 35
    Im looking for an Elantra in the Western Massachusetts area and got an offer from Gary Rome in Holyoke. This is what he came up with for a price of a new 08 Elantra with the popular equipment package. Let me know what you think about it, im scared im over paying about 1,000 based on other users prices.

Internet Sales Manager:
    I have a black pearl gls in stock with the popular equipment package which includes A/C , cd/mp3 player, cruise control and fog lights. invoice is 16,649 minus 300 takes us to 16349 minus rebate takes us to 15,349. Also this car is an automatic.
    If you choose the base with no air we can subtract another 1594.00 which takes us to 13755. If you were to go with this package I would reccomen my l;ast 2007 which would be priced in the mid 12's.

Internet Sales Manager:
    Best number I can do on the car before taxes is 15,200 (and that is after rebate) Truth is there is just not that much markup in the car. Best number after taxes title and reg fees is 16,231.45.
    No games that is my absolute best number. I would encourage you to look at edmunds.com and see exactly how strong my number is.
  • inharmswayinharmsway Member Posts: 153
    At a N. Ca.Hyundai dealer, they are selling all their GLS Elantra's with auto and popular package for $13,378. That is a discount of $1602 and $2000 factory rebate. I am not sure if I am allowed to name the dealer.
    I am actually driving to NY tommorow right near NJ so this would be perfect yet that deal says it expires on 2/23. I wonder if they will still allow this deal. If anyone knows for sure id appreciate a reply. Thank you so much for pointing out this dealership!!
    Just call them or send them an email and ask them. I've noticed their web site doesn't keep up with their offers; they just recently updated it to the "expires 2/23" date. They seem to continually offer these kinds of prices though. Be sure to print off the $500 Internet coupon from the web site if you go there.
  • thndrstmthndrstm Member Posts: 47
    When I purchased a Sonata 2 1/2 years ago, There was a loyalty rebate. Now that I am ready to buy a Elantra, I can't find any sign of one. Should I wait to see if one will reappear? I plan on going to Fitzmall.com. Looks like their prices are about 2200 below invoice. Their prices include freight and 1000 rebate. Any ideas how they can do that?
    You can always wait for a loyalty rebate, but HMA seems to have phased them out in general over the past year or so. And with the Elantra (SE) garnering acclaim as a CR "Top Pick" and not all that many on dealer lots to begin with, I think you may have a long wait for a loyalty rebate. It looks like HMA is putting their big rebate money elsewhere right now, especially on closing out the 2008 Sonatas.
    Here in northern Calif.one dealer is giving $500 additional rebate to Hyundai owners.It just started.
  • bwaller78bwaller78 Member Posts: 23
    It never hurts to mention it to the dealer, because when I bought my elantra a few months ago, there was not a loyalty rebate on the 2007 elantra then, but they gave it to me because I was a repeat customer and they honored it since i mentioned it ;)
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Depending upon your location, Towne Hyundai in Denville, NJ, may be a better a choice. They presently have Elantras @ $1950 below invoice plus $1,000 rebate (total of $2950 below invoice). Towne's dealer fee is $189 vs $99 for Fitz, so that takes away $90 of savings.

Towne's price will include destination charges also. Check their website and call them if it is a reasonable distance for you to consider. You'll get a straight forward, no BS answer on the price. Plus no F & I BS when you pick up the car (if you decide to buy from them).

With the "new and improved" Sonata rebates, presently $5200 under invoice including the $3K rebate, you might want to compare a 4 cyl Sonata to the Elantra.
  • haggardhaggard Member Posts: 92
    You can do better. The Towne Hyundai group also owns Stateline Hyundai in Phillipsburg NJ, just over the bridge from Easton, PA (an hour north of Philly). They have made me several great offers on various models, (my bad for not pulling the trigger). The internet guys have as much integrity as I have found in the car business, they don't jerk you around. I will be going to them this week to make a deal on an Elantra for my wife. Will post when I get firm numbers.
  • hyundaidanvershyundaidanvers Member Posts: 1
    The Elantra GLS w/ the popular pkg has an invoice of $16,365
    - 1,000 Rebate
    $15,365
    - $500 DISCOUNT
    $14,865
    Whicha dealership could discount the car an extra $200-300.

VS a 2008 Sonata GLS for $15,323....
    Got the 08 Elantra GLS PZEV with auto transmisson and popular options package (not the sunroof one) plus floor mats and cargo net at Clay Hyundai in Norwood MA on Thursday, 2/28. MSRP with options was around 17,100 or so. Got the car for 15,500, minus the 1,000 rebate. So got the car for 14,500 and took "conventional" financing since I have high credit score. Very happy with the deal. Sharp car, very nice ride. That 14,500 is without taxes, doc fees, etc. OTD is a garbage method of computing because sales tax is different state to state, dealer doc fees are different, reg fees are different. What's important is the final price you pay for the car yourself!!!
    Towne Hyundai updated its website today. The Elantra, including rebates is $3950 below invoice. (Sonata $4900 below invoice. )

These prices are good from now through March 31. None of that end of the month BS...the prices are good now and will not change (up or down) until April.
    I ended up biting the bullet for an 2008 Elantra SE(Consumer reports say that is a necessity to get the ESC) with Spoiler(which I didn't particularly want) and Floor mats.

Paid 14850. They threw in 10 oil changes too.

Dealership will give me tires for life if I follow their maintenance schedule(including alignments every 12,000 miles). Is that worth doing?
    thndstrm

Please explain how you got the price to 14,850.

Rebates, haggling, etc.

Leave out taxes, trade in, all that jazz, etc.

Thanks!
    Why not go for the free tires? They can wear out faster than you might think (the OEM Michelins on my 2001 Elantra needed replacement after 30k miles). But are the alignments free, and if not do you need to have them done at the dealership and how much do they cost? Also, will the dealer give you the same tires or some that are the same size, but might not be the same quality as the OEM tires?
    My price included all taxes tags etc, so take out 4.1 percent Virginia taxes so the pretax amount is about 14,240. My method was to call up Towne Hyundai in Denville, NJ which was recommended here. They gave me a price on the phone(they had only 1 SE with a sunroof which I didn't want). The dealership here said they would beat any legit price, and they did. The whole process took less than an hour. If you want the name of the dealer I used, let me know.

The dealer said the current rebate is 1500, not 1000 as listed on the Hyundai site plus there is additional undisclosed dealer cash.

I don't know if the free tires is a good deal as having to get alignments every 12000 miles plus ALL recommended maintenance will be a lot, and Costco has reasonable priced tires with road hazard warranty.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,570
    Free tires for life, is just a gimmick..

It's best to just ignore it, and make your maintenance decisions, independent of that...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Hey everyone, I got this quote from Towne Hyundai. Has anyone dealt with them in the past or currently? I emailed some local dealers in Massachusetts where im from and they told me they all buy the cars from the same place at the same price so this offer must be a gimmick to get me into the dealership and then add additional fees and charges. Im about 4 1/2 hours away from, Towne so I dont want to take a trip there if this is the case. Im looking for any suggestions or advice regarding my puchase. Below is the quote I received from the internet sales dept. at Towne and below that is a local dealers email about the sale....

[Towne Hyundai]
    Thank you again for you business Zachary!!! Here is the information that you've requested for your new vehicle:

Brand new 2008 Hyundai Elantra - Automatic Transmission w/ Popular Equipment Package

14,603.00 Sale Price Before Rebate

+ 185.00 Window Etching

----------------------------------------

14,788.00 Total Taxable Amount

739.40 5% Mass. Sales Tax

200.00 Estimated Motor Vehicle

189.00 Dealer Documentation Fee

-----------------------------------------

15,916.40 Total Before Rebate

- 2,000.00 Manufacturer Rebate

------------------------------------------

13,916.40 Total After ALL Fees

- 500.00 Deposit

-------------------------------------------

13,416.40 C.O.D.

[Response from Gary Rome]
    Hi It is Phil Lombardi @ gary rome again. I beleive there to be a huge miscommunication on the other dealers part. Please call them and make sure that number is before rebate before driving that far. Truth is that is an after rebate number which makes my initial price better than theirs. I am so confident that they have made a mistake I am willing to give you $500 for every car that dealership will sell me at the price they quoted you. I have seen this before where dealers "make mistakes" on issues like this. Fact is if you show up there these numbers will change I guarantee it. When I break down the price they quoted you it is about 75.00 under invoice after rebate. I was 300 below invoice. He also has made an error on the taxes as well If he could sell you the car for what he claims he should be taxing you after rebate not before. I hope to hear from you soon and PLEASE , PLEASE RESEARCH THIS BEFORE TAKING A DRIVE DOWN. We all buy cars for the same amount from Hyundai and this price just isnt accurate
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    RE: Towne Hyundai.
    This is one of several large Hyundai dealers that give absolutely outstanding service, in prices, servicing, and all around dealing, from others on this forum. They have apparently been consistent in their good price deals. Please check some of the other posts, not only here, but on the Sonata site as well. Good Luck.
    Van
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    This is straight from Towne Hyundai's website ( http://www.townehyundai.com )

Internet Pricing

2008 Elantras

$1,950 BELOW DEALER INVOICE
    $2,000 CONSUMER REBATE
    "LOW APR FOR QUALIFIED BUYERS IN LIEU OF REBATE"
    "DESTINATION INCLUDED"
    (good from 3/1/08 thru 3/31/08)

From what I have read in these forums, Towne is straight-forward and gives you a great deal without having to haggle. They are evidently a very high volume Hyundai dealer which gets them some pretty good per unit manufacturer cash bonuses each month. That is why they can sell them at these low prices. ;)
    Thanks for the input guys. Any clue on if I should be be paying tax before or after rebates? Just got a email back from the internet manager from Towne saying there is no mistake besides Massachusetts state sales tax may be different than 5%. Anyone know what this would be or where I can find it? Thanks again everyone!
    States vary as to whether the tax is paid before or after rebates. In my state, MN, tax is paid after rebates. :) The dealer does these transactions all the time and knows how to do it. If you want to be sure, the web site for the state's Department of Revenue (or whatever it's called) should have the rules for sales tax on new vehicles with rebates.
    We bought an '07 Sonata from Towne Hyundai in Feb. '07. It was a straight forward no BS deal. Since then 7 other people I know bought cars from Towne. I'm in CT, about 100 miles away (1hr 45 min).

The price will be invoice (including destination but without a BS advertising fee), plus dealer fee of $189, plus title and tags fees*, plus your state's sales tax.

* Towne uses an outside service to take care of "out of NJ" title and registration work. They will include a temporary NJ registration. This charge for CT buyers has been $200 regardless of whether there was a transfer of registration or a new set of plates issued.

Most N.E. states charge sales tax on the pre-rebate price and Mass. is probably one of them.

But do as the dealer who is trying to BS you said. Call ahead of time to confirm price, color, equipment you want. Let them know when you want to pick up the car and they will have it all cleaned up, prepped and waiting for you on that day. Of course you'll have to go inside to complete the paper work and they'll explain many things about the car , owners manual & service schedule to you. The whole thing will take about a half hour. You can have them arrange financing or do it on your own. All the paper work will be ready when you get there, including financing if you go through them.

If you don't want window etching, tell them that on the phone. Our car had it but we didn't want it and they didn't charge us for it. (Of course the etched # is not registered anywhere since we didn't pay for it. Big deal.)

One other thing your local guy is messed up on: he said, "make sure that number is before rebate before driving that far. Truth is that is an after rebate number which makes my initial price better than theirs. I am so confident that they have made a mistake I am willing to give you $500 for every car that dealership will sell me at the price they quoted you." Think about it, if Towne's price were $225 higher than the price the local guy quoted you, why would he pay you $500 for each car Towne would sell to him at that price. Sounds like double-speak to me or the guy is just full of BS.

Towne is offering you the car for $13,916 with all taxes and fees included...less if you avoid the window etching and tax on it. A few people on this forum have purchased different models from Towne (Azeras, Sonatas, etc) and have reported great buying experiences. Price qoted on the phone = price paid. Most have used the terminology "No BS" in describing their experience.
    Thank you so much bhmr59! You have made me feel much more confident about this dealership. I will make sure to post my buying experience and final price paid after this weekend.
    When I called Towne Hyundai, they had only 1 SE and that had a sunroof which I didn't want. Consumer Reports indicated that only the SE was the trim level they rated best as the GLS did not have stability control.
    Invoice on the SE is 2000 more than the GLS.
    If you load up the GLS so it's more comparable in equipment to the SE (e.g. add the package with A/C, fog lamps etc.) I don't think the difference in invoice is $2000. Maybe if you compare the base GLS (no A/C etc.) to the SE, it's $2000 less.

Besides ESC, the SE adds a telescopic steering wheel (leather covered with audio controls too), which might be important for some drivers to find a comfortable driving position. And the bigger tires/wheels, which may improve handling over the GLS.
  • stormchas4stormchas4 Member Posts: 1
    what dealership was that in Viriginia?
  • kevin_brancatokevin_brancato Member Posts: 1
    On Tuesday, March 4, I bought from Towne Hyundai the SE that "thndrstm" didn't want.

I have to say that starting with the internet inquiry, the Towne buying experience was absolutely fantastic. Complete openness, zero pressure, and no haggling. And Towne beat Fitzmall by over $1,000 for the identically equipped SE (part of the difference being that the consumer rebate is $2000 in Denville, NJ, but only $1500 in Gaithersburg, MD). Given the differences in rebate, I don't know if a local dealer could match the price; I didn't try.

2008 Elantra SE Auto w/ Premium Package
    Cloth Mats + Mud Guards
    Silver w/ Black cloth

Invoice (inc. destination): $18,472
    Taxable Price (VA): $16,522
    Tax (4%): $661
    Rebate: -$2000
    Doc: $189
    Title, Registration: $200

Price Before TTR: $14,522 = $18,472- $1950 - $2000
    Price Before Tax: $14,919 = $18,472 - $1950 - $2000 + $189 + $200
    Out the Door: $15,580

This was the initial sales sheet at the dealership. If I recall correctly, there was a legitimate additional $56 in titling. And 1% of that 4% tax had been invalidated by the Virginia Supreme Court the day before, so there was some discussion how much to charge for tax. (Towne's folks were very good about it, and said 3% is fine, but I figured 4% until the bureaucrats understand they can't collect unconstitutional taxes; after the great experience I've had, I trust that Towne will refund me the difference about the same time my plates arrive).

Towne's initial email quote, from Thursday, Feb. 28, had been $1000 higher. However, the consumer rebate was increased from $1000 to $2000 in NJ on March 1, and when I called Towne the next Monday, they happily lowered the price by $1000. I called Towne twice more to verify final figures, secure financing, and place a credit card deposit to reserve the car.

Towne had the car prepped and waiting out front when I arrived. The salesman went through the figures quickly -- and were exactly as previously discussed. I financed through Towne, because they could match the best terms I could get elsewhere. If that's additional profit to them, that's fine with me.

While waiting for finance to plug and chug, free coffee was offered, and they let me use their wireless internet access on my own laptop. Finance terms were exactly as previously disclosed, and the financial officer was just as friendly as the salesman, although he did initially mistake my work address for my home address. I was left alone in his office to read through the entire finance contract.

Neither the Towne salesman nor finance officer gave me a folder to keep all the receipts together, so you might want to bring one along.

They had a technician in an 06 sonata lead me to the rental car agency a few miles away, and drive me back to my new car.

I drove home very happy in a torrential downpour.
  • davis22davis22 Member Posts: 17
    I test drove a 2008 Elantra GLS today. Great car! Popular equipment package included. Sticker price was $16055 but I was able to get the salesman to write down his best offer and he wrote $13600. I am waiting for my blank check from Capital One so I can't buy yet but I was wondering if this was a good deal. I am in Northern CA.
    Fairfax Hyundai
    If your financing is through HMFC, be sure to register so you can pay electronically.

They do pop you a $.50 convenience fee (but you save the postage charge). Your payment will be recorded the same day you send it (unless after the cut off hour) and it will save you money over the term of the loan. I did not sign up for the automatic payment because I pay extra each month. I have to initiate the payment, but I get to tell them how much I want to pay.

I usually pay on the 15th of the month when our income arrives. Sometimes we get the money on the 14th or 13th (when the 15th is on the weekend). You might be surprised by looking at the payment history to see the difference in actual interest charge depending upon how many days there were from one payment to the next.

P.S. Your buying experience is the same as I've been talking about for over a year now. Great place to deal with. Best of luck with your new car.
    The GLS is selling for $12988 in Sacramento Ca. This is auto with popular package.This is at Maita Hyundai if I am allowed to name dealer name.
  • rpg934rpg934 Member Posts: 1
    I followed your advice and attempted to make a deal with Stateline. Everything went fine, I received what I expected on the trade, the price was as advertised, no pressure etc... Then I signed the papers and gave a $500 deposit. I thought everything was as smooth as silk. Then the salesman mentioned he needed to get his manager to review the paperwork. The salesman returns and gives me a paper showing the trade in value for my car at $6,800 instead of the $8,600 he had entered onto the paperwork. He apologized and mentioned something about his mind being in a fog which caused him to transpose the numbers. My trade was a 2006 Scion XA with 32,000 miles on it. The trade in value for KBB lists it at around $8,600. Since I expect this type of tactic from an auto salesman, I said this was out of my price range and he processed a refund for my deposit. The morale of the story. This is a great deal, but you need to be careful if trading in your current car. They give a great discount and then take it back by low balling you on the trade.
    I just bought the 08 Hyundai Elantra at Towne Hyundai in New Jersey. It's the GLS model with the popular equipment package and carpeted floor mats in pearl black. After all rebates and including taxes and other fees my total came to $13,716. I am really happy with this car and reccomend this dealership to anyone within a 5 hour distance. I traveled from Massachusetts on a train which was a hassle but was well worth it for the price I paid. The dealer I worked with was also very nice and I was out the door within 20 minutes. If you want a new Hyundai go to Towne Hundai in New Jersey and ask for Sean Cullen. Thank you for everyone who helped me in my buying experience!
    I don't think its necessary to make the trip to Towne. Your price was 1508 below Edmunds TMV, Mine 1521 below(I wanted the SE to get the stability control) and I get 10 oil changes. Local taxes can make a difference too. If you haggle knowing what you can get at Towne, your local dealer might come close.
  • ram52ram52 Member Posts: 5
    Did that include Mass taxes and tags, or just the cost of the vehicle before taxes and DMV fees?

Thanks
    NR
  • chameleonschameleons Member Posts: 2
    picked one up yesterday.regatta blue- with spoiler.these prices on here are funny, i think they are being posted by dealers ..... real purchase here- msrp was 18200-- agreed upon price -15300- careful because dealers say xtra 1000 off , but fail to mention that hyundai loyalty is req.also cars dont come with floormats -unless on sticker-also 2000 rebates is taxable- you have to really pay attention when they come up with final price--tax-mv fees - doc fee-window etching-etc- very nice car though. price was 15300 plus all that stuff- which is on most cars, so it came out a little less than msrp which isnt bad-- thats the real deal!
    $13,716 was the grand total including taxes and mv fees. Made them take off the window etching which took off $185. Ive been told I got a really good deal by everyone I talked to, anyone else agree?
  • ram52ram52 Member Posts: 5
    You got a great deal! I purchased a GLS model with the popular equipment package and carpeted floor mats and cargo net for 14950 including 7% NJ sales tax, and all other doc and DMV charges! (About $1100 of the above price was NJ sales tax, $40 was DMV fees!)

The MSRP was around $17100 including destination charges - I paid about $13800!

There was no negotiation - this was an internet price advertised, and no haggling!

NR
  • bmf_rrhbmf_rrh Member Posts: 7
    Could you guys point me in the right direction to find the big boy dealers in Illinois. There are so many, not sure who the good guys are.

Thanks

Robert
  • mitcheldmitcheld Member Posts: 12
    Thunder, it looks like you're from Virginia, as am I. I'd like the name of that dealer. Thanks!
  • mitcheldmitcheld Member Posts: 12
    Found it above -- sorry for the bother.
  • kjj005kjj005 Member Posts: 2
    I'm in PA and getting ready to buy an SE with options package 04 (sunroof + heated seats). PA dealers offer a $2000 rebate through March on Elantras. I've gotten offers from two dealerships that will give a price (inclusive of rebate) of $15400 including everything except taxes and tags. There may be the potential to knock another $100 off the price, but from my experience and research so far this seems to be the bottom price for an SE with sunroof in the Philadelphia area. I feel I'm a very tough negotiator so if anyone feels I can do much better than this please let me know. I'm planning on signing papers in the next few days.
  • ih8priorityih8priority Member Posts: 1
    Seeing what everyone else payed for their cars, I feel ripped off. Paid $16,965 (with $2,400 negaitve equity on my trade) on a base model GLS. No AC, no radio. But I got free oil changes as long as I own it, free state inspections, and the engine is guaranteed as long as I own the car. So it might be worth the extra money with all that. Probably not. Never go to Priority Hyundai in Chesapeake, though.
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    The negative equity alone drove the price up that you paid for the vehicle.
  • hutch7hutch7 Member Posts: 88
    In Mareitta GA, '08 GLS w/ Popular equipment package,auto trans, 3 mos XM, ac, Quicksilver exterior was $14,900 out the door. There was $1500 cash back folded into the price
  • kjj005kjj005 Member Posts: 2
    I should have mentioned that it is an automatic. That can make a $1000 difference in price on Elantras. Chesapeake you have to be careful in feeling ripped off on your price. That negative equity must be taken into account as well as what Hyundai is offering for a rebate in MD vs the other states people are posting from. Most of the country I think is a $1500 rebate, but PA has $2000, that's the most I've seen from poking around on the hyundai website and plugging in a few different state locations for their incentive programs just for kicks.