Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kunalrd2000kunalrd2000 Member Posts: 2
    I bought for 35100 on the road EXL with Nav and Dealer installed RES. I hope i did not pay more :)

Is it worth taking extended warranty ? Dealer offered 10 yrs 100k for $1896ed
  • bigtxbigtx Member Posts: 16
    I think HondaCare is a great value, any other extended warranty is suspect. If I recall I paid slightly less than your quoted number for the warranty and I got 120k on a touring elite which with more bells and whistles should cost more although I have no basis for that beyond common sense. So, if it is HondaCare the price is not terrible.
  • leafvanleafvan Member Posts: 1
    I live in Florida and am getting some quotes on a 2013 LX Odyssey- the best deal so far is this below, please advise if you think this is a decent price? It sounds quite good to me if it is 'for real' (especially since when we bought our last Odyssey LX in 2002, it was around the same price!)

$24,408 before the Florida taxes/regis/title fees. NO OPTIONS. The gov't taxes will add about $2000 to the price.
    (24,408 includes the dealer's $700 doc fee)
  • dave_pettydave_petty Member Posts: 7
    I think you can do a little better on price. Dealers in MA are right at $30K this week.
  • actuallyalanaactuallyalana Member Posts: 14
    I am e-mailing them with my color choices. I am asking for for OTD prices on in-stock vehicles but not asking about incentives. Maybe I should? Mention any options you want on the car too. I'm new at this so I'm probably not much help!
    Thanks Dave. I guess I need to get a little pushy!
  • iwannagr8leaseiwannagr8lease Member Posts: 42
    Honda Care price is high.

A quick search of the forums for dealers that sell these to you over the phone. I think Saccucci is one of them. Sometimes dealer will match the price but most often won't. Same Hondacare program so theres no downside.

Enjoy your savings.............................
  • reliable369reliable369 Member Posts: 3
    Davemustaine, I am also looking for similar deal and when I approached Sam swope, they are only willing to sell the van at that price but no accessaries. I am from Kentucky and also tried Don jacobs Lexington. Any suggestions on how to get the accessaries included in the deal? Sounds like a great deal out of the door with accessaries at $33500.
  • davemustainedavemustaine Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2013
    Tell them you know someone who got that deal and you would like to get the same one.
    The next best quote I had was from Honda East 529 Ohio Pike Cincinnati, OH 45255 which was $33,000 OTD no accessories.
    Where ever you go you have to let them know that you are getting a competitive price else where and will they match the price that you are offering.

Keep at it, you will get a great deal.
  • mnorthernmnorthern Member Posts: 1
    Just wanted to thank you for the great info folks posted. I purchased a 2013 EXL with RES OTD for $32800 (including Tax, Title and Delivery). There is a new incentive program that was released over the last few days which gives an addition $800 off the Odyssey - in addition to the published $1000. Hope this serves to help someone else - here's how the deal broke down:
    $30547 - price, including destination
    $250 - doc fees
    $2050 - taxes

No accessories were thrown in and i didn't purchase the extended warranty.
  • zipcazipca Member Posts: 1
    Wow, that is a great price. Which state do you live in? I live in Southern California and so far the best deal I got was $35450 Out-The-Door, looks like it is a bit high.
    edited April 2013
    Where in so cal are you shopping? Prices are definitely a little higher here which I think is due to taxes and registration. The lowest quote I've received for an EX-L (no RES) so far is $30333 in the Valley. I think that's a decent price. That includes destination but not TTL.
    Do you mind what state and dealer you purchased? The closest offer I got was $34500 for EXL RES.
  • dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    Yeah, he got a crazy price. At invoice minus the $1500 advertised incentives on the Odyssey right now Edmunds shows $32993 for the EX-L with RES. Dealer holdback is 2% of the base MSRP which is $753. If the dealer gave back 100% holdback you are at $32240.

At $30,547 he was able to get the van at invoice minus all incentives, minus all holdback, and then minus another $1693. Most likely his dealer was trying to hit a monthly/quarterly goal and was willing to take a loss on the van to get it. Right place at the right time :)
    Good info.

How much would a good price be on the pro pack? A dealer told me MSRP is $799 (which sounds ridiculous) but that I could get it for $480. Is that still high?

I have offers on the EX-L (no RES) now of $30,555 + TTL and $30,333 + TTL.
    If you bought the items in the propack online you could probably get it for under $300. So yeah, $480 seems a little high, but it is what it is. The dealer is going to charge you labor charges at some inflated price. I would ask to not have it (propack) included, but they may not give you the option. I had the same issue in Virginia where every dealer seemed to make you buy it, and I actually did not like the pin stripes and the dealer agreed to remove them but I still had to pay for them. Ughh :)
    Thanks. I'm not sure that I need or want it, so I just wanted an idea. Guess I'll have to see it. Now pin stripes would not be okay! I am not a fan.
    Pro pack usually includes wheel locks, splash guards, and cargo tray. Just looking online prices:
    wheel locks are about $60
    splash guards are about $70
    and cargo tray is $79

Dealer probably pays less, and it would indclude installation. I think even if you paid $250 the dealer would still make some money.
    edited April 2013
    I actually have a dealer being very upfront with me about incentives, holdbacks etc. New to me!

A different dealer just e-mailed me a price of $29,933 + fees. Not sure if I even believe that....What do you think?

Another dealer is insisting that Alabaster silver does not come with Truffle interior. WTH???? This is the same guy who said the EX did not have rear air.
  • charlieliucharlieliu Member Posts: 80
    Which dealer do you get this from? I am in NJ and is looking for a EXL.
    Thanks.
    Well it's a great price, but I would email him for an out the door price with a breakdown of fees. He might be lowballing the price of the van and then charging you for add-ons and dealer fees.

And yes, the Alabaster Silver does have a truffle interior, I have seen it with my own eyes (my wife really liked that color combo, and we almost went with it):

You would think these guys would have a clue:
    http://automobiles.honda.com/odyssey/colors.aspx
    I'm in CA.
    Yeah, I just don't buy it. They already told me most come with pro pack, so add that on. The probably left out the doc fee.

They've already acted funny about trade-ins. On their website it says they pay above what your car is worth, and then when I asked about it, she said to go on KBB and whatever they quote take $500 off because they inflate the prices. Huh.

We're going to a dealer that is closer with a decent price for a test drive tomorrow. I've seen the vans I just couldn't drive them with my 3 littles in tow. I'll drive them and see what they say. I think it will all come down to what they offer on our trades.
  • vballrefvballref Member Posts: 2
    Got quotes back ranging from 32,783 down to 31,939 before ttl, etc. About all of them are coming back around 33.6 OTD and they all had minmal add ons. I think it is a touch high and hope to get a bit more off.
    The best quote I've seen in this forms for EXL RES is $32800 OTD. This seems to be an awesome deal. I tried asking for this price in state of KY and near by areas like cincinatti but none of them are willing to give at this price. On a cost basis how much it cost to install a DVD? Some dealers said they can install out of market DVD for $650. But OTD price is close to $34000 vs factory installed DVD with OTD they are asking for $34500. Not sure if this a deal. This does not have any accessories. Pros please advice.
  • spender8spender8 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    Amazing community discussion here. I have two questions:

1) EXL vs Touring vs Touring Elite - Is Elite worth it?
    2) How much below invoice is possible in WA market?

Thanks
    Spender8
    I think it all depends on what features are important to you and your family, you know? Money is always a factor too!
  • beethbeeth Member Posts: 13
    I am in the market for a new 2013 Honda Odyssey EX, without any options. I quoted with several dealers, and got an offer for $29,150 as out-the-door/on-the-road price, including freight, processing fees, tax, tags, registration with Maryland. And I was asked to finance with them at 0.9%. Is it a good price, even it's thousands below invoice? Because I saw other post here someone in Maryland got much lower price:
    #29677 of 29822 2013 EX FOR $28,350 (On ROad)+ .9 finance in MD on 02/18/2013 by sobla
    I am not sure if it was a real OTD price, because it started getting hard for me to negotiate for the lower $29K range. Please advise. Thanks!
    Do you have to finance with them for that price? Because alot of quotes I'm getting say in the fine print that the price is valid only if I use their financing.
    yes, have to finance with them. in fact, I do plan to finance, and 0.9% is not bad. What do you think about the price as $29,150 out-the-door(Maryland)?
    It sounds like a good deal, but hard to know because every state has different taxes and fees.

Can you breakdown the price of the van and then all the fees separately?

Invoice price on a 13 EX is $29,993 and there is at least $1500 in incentives right now on the Odyssey in addition to .09% financing.
    $27,150(including $830 destination fee and other dealer processing fees) + $1629 Maryland tax + $376 tags/registration = around $29,150
    What do you think? Thanks!
    Invoice is $29,933 including destination
    -$1500 in dealer cash incentives as advertised by Edmunds
    = $28,443

Dealer holdback is 2% of MSRP = $653 on this vehicle.

$27,150 seems like a strong deal to me. You are getting invoice, minus incentives, minus holdback and then some. So there is either some other regional incentives or your dealer is desperate :)

You could always try waiting until the end of the month to see if they will go lower to hit a sales quota, or you could try reaching out to a wider range of dealers, but you certainly are not getting a bad deal :)
  • tetradtetrad Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am in the market for a Honda Odyssey. Would you mind to share which dealership offered this price. I am in PA, but don't mind drive to MD to make the purchase. Thanks.
    Thanks for the advice. However, as I mentioned in my original post, someone at the same place got $28,350(OTD price, about $800 lower than my offer) in Feburary, which was kind of confused if I could go further, but as I checked around it was hard. Not sure if I should visit more dealers around for better, and how to negotiate. Please advise if you have any tips for me. Thanks again!
    Are you emailing dealers? The best way to negotiate is to email as many dealers within a range (50, 100, 200 miles) as you can. Otherwise you could try waiting for end of month, end of quarter (which would be June) and also see what happens to prices when the 2014's start arriving this summer. If you can wait a few months you may save another $1K or so.

Assuming that people are actually posting their true OTD numbers on this forum (whether intentional or not), just because someone got one deal does not mean you will. Buying is all about timing. Incentives. Sales numbers, etc. February is historically a slow month for car sales, so it could be the person who got the deal found a very motivated sales manager who was trying to hit a monthly quota and they were short.

Try emailing more dealers and extending the range you are willing to drive to buy one. You will know when you hit the wall and dealers won't go any lower.
  • sleejusasleejusa Member Posts: 3
    Hi all, I've been looking to purchase a used odyssey, but recently started investigating leasing a new one. I've checked around, and so far the best deal I've been offered for a new EX is $310/mo total (including taxes), with absolutely zero due at signing. 36 month lease, 36,000 miles.

We've previously been against leasing, but this seems like a pretty good deal, and we could always purchase it outright once the lease is up. Appreciate any opinions!
    I received this email from a Northern VA dealer recently (Honda Of Tysons Corner):
    Purchase Special:
    Odyssey EX-L: $29,991
    EX-L w/DVD: $31,391
    EX-L w/NAV: $31,991
    Touring: $35,491
    Elite: $37,491

Note: All purchase prices are plus taxes, tags, small processing fee and freight.

So add $830 for freight. VA dealers are notorious for having $250-500 processing fees as well. Not sure what this dealer charges, but add about $1000-1200 to the prices above and that should be your price before TTL.

Hope this helps someone. Prices still seem pretty good and might be good to leverage against other dealers. This was sent to me in an email special via a distro list.
  • selenelselenel Member Posts: 3
    First, let me give some background...
    I sold my old car for a good price and went price shopping for a Honda Odyssey. I looked at a couple of models online and was trying to decide between the EX-L and Touring models. Most of my friends told me to shop for a used car since I would get a better price. I decided to look for certified pre-owned models. So I searched the web and found a couple of used Hondas at a couple of dealerships, for what I thought were good prices. After calling around several places, and going all the way to Long Beach from South Pasadena, I found that dealerships don't budge much on certified preowned. But I also found out that there were incentives to sell new ones, which resulted in the new Odysseys selling for less than the used ones.
    In Long Beach, after just some slight haggling, I was offered an Odyssey EX-L (2013) for 33K "out the door." Now, my understanding of "out the door" is that is the bottom price, including tax and license. So, 33K was a good deal, but I needed navigation, and I couldn't get them down to 33K with navigation. They said navigation would be another $2,000, so a total of $35,000. So I went to http://www.truecar.com and requested quotes. The Downtown LA Honda internet department contacted me. The internet sales person I dealt with was Valerie. From the beginning, I told her I have 3 kids and I don't want to waste time. If she can offer $33,000 with NAV out the door for the car; I will go and buy the car from her.
    After some discussion, Valerie offered the best they could do for me was $33,088 and change, "out the door." She even told me what amount I would need to put as a down payment, about $8,800 and change. So I thought GREAT, maybe I can get them down the last bit, maybe not, but still worth it. I also spoke with her sales manager, Rico, who confirmed the amount.
    Well, it seems the old "bait and switch" is still around. Now for those who haven't bought off the Internet, Honda has an Internet department and a regular sales department. I had spoken with the Internet salesperson, Valerie, and even her department manager, Rico. They both told me it was $33,088 out the door. But when I went in, Valerie wasn't there. They never let me talk to Rico. Instead, a different salesman talked to me, saw my quotes on the computer and wasted 2 hours of my time first showing me cars without the navigation, then telling me that there was only one at the dealership. Then, just when I was ready to leave because they had to ship in one that I wanted, he suddenly tells me that the price out the door is $39,000!!!!!.
    I was livid. I hired a babysitter for this crap! Where is the sense of honor? The a man who I guess was the finance manager comes and tells me $38,000 is the lowest, and that I won't find any other place where I can get it for less (now we know that was bs, don't we?). I asked the salesman I had been talking to, Ricky (Ricky and Rico are not the same person), why I couldn't just talk to Rico, since it appeared he was there. The salesman told me I'd have to call Rico.
    I was so upset after I left, I called back and asked for Rico. I got him on the phone and asked him why he couldn't meet with me, and why had the dealership reneged on the agreed upon price, $33,088 out the door? He even looked at his computer and agreed that was the price he had quoted me. He said he would doublecheck and call me back.
    He then got back to me and said, I had misunderstood, "out the door" "price" and "sales price" were two different things. He said that the "out the door" "price" was the out the door price after I had made a down payment. Therefore, the total price now would have been $41,888 plus change. What a bunch of crap.
    First of all, if the "out the door" "price" was after taking into account the down payment, then why on earth would both the down payment and "out the door" "price" be such odd numbers? Furthermore, the MSRP is $37,225 for an EX-L with navigation. So in other words, I had just been quoted the MSRP price plus tax and license roughly? After I had already been offered an EX-L by another dealer for around 35K out the door, i.e., the total I would have to pay.
    It's clear that downtown LA Honda doesn't honor the deals its Internet department makes with potential customers. It's also clear that when confronted with the truth, they would rather make up even more lies rather than sell cars.
    Don't buy from these guys. There are plenty of other dealers who will most likely honor the deals you make with them, that are recorded, and try to convince you that their crappy deal is the best you'll ever get. Don't waste your time or your money.
    On a scale of 0 to 10, I would give them a -10, as in not even worth a "0."talk to Rico. Instead, a different salesman talked to me, saw my quotes on the computer and wasted 2 hours of my time first showing me cars without the navigation, then telling me that there was only one at the dealership. Then, just when I was ready to leave because they had to ship in one that I wanted, he suddenly tells me that the price out the door is $39,000!!!!!.
    I was livid. I hired a babysitter for this crap! Where is the sense of honor? The a man who I guess was the finance manager comes and tells me $38,000 is the lowest, and that I won't find any other place where I can get it for less (now we know that was bs, don't we?). I asked the salesman I had been talking to, Ricky (Ricky and Rico are not the same person), why I couldn't just talk to Rico, since it appeared he was there. The salesman told me I'd have to call Rico.
    I was so upset after I left, I called back and asked for Rico. I got him on the phone and asked him why he couldn't meet with me, and why had the dealership reneged on the agreed upon price, $33,088 out the door? He even looked at his computer and agreed that was the price he had quoted me. He said he would doublecheck and call me back.
    He then got back to me and said, I had misunderstood, "out the door" "price" and "sales price" were two different things. He said that the "out the door" "price" was the out the door price after I had made a down payment. Therefore, the total price now would have been $41,888 plus change. What a bunch of crap.
    First of all, if the "out the door" "price" was after taking into account the down payment, then why on earth would both the down payment and "out the door" "price" be such odd numbers? Furthermore, the MSRP is $37,225 for an EX-L with navigation. So in other words, I had just been quoted the MSRP price plus tax and license roughly? After I had already been offered an EX-L by another dealer for around 35K out the door, i.e., the total I would have to pay.
    It's clear that downtown LA Honda doesn't honor the deals its Internet department makes with potential customers. It's also clear that when confronted with the truth, they would rather make up even more lies rather than sell cars.
    Don't
    That is a terrible experience!!

If you are looking for a good experience, we just bought our Odyssey and and Accord yesterday from Honda of Thousand Oaks. If you want I can PM you the name and number of our guy. The best part was there were no games. I was weary as we'd been screwed by a Honda dealers finance department before and he made it clear that they were not like that. We brought all 3 kids with us and walked out with 2 cars. The staff was excellent.
    Unforunatly these tactics are alive and well. I would get the email address of the general manager and write a complaint. I will say my dealer stood behind the price I gt over the email and phone. There were zero surprises.
    Where did you purchase this car? Please share. Thank you!
    edited April 2013
    Hello actuallyalana,

Can you please provide me with the name and number of the guy at Thousand Oaks Honda. Also, can you tell me what was the OTD price for the Odyssey and Acccord. Please PM me at [email protected]. Thank you!
  • citivascitivas Member Posts: 144
    edited April 2013
    Interesting to your point about waiting for the end-of-month/end-of-quarter, that doesn't always prove out. Sometimes it's just better to prove your willing to wait and that they need you more than you need them. I never back myself into a corner where they feel you have "invested" yourself into the car, their dealership or the time suck they put you through to close. I did a test drive the a week ago, right at the month close and after having first gotten an internet quote and making it clear I was competitively quoting with every dealer in a 50 mile radius via email/phone. Despite that I wasn't satisfied with their best offer for end of the month/quarter -- it was about $1,500 higher than some people are quoting here for the Touring after including destination and doc. They moved a couple hundred bucks for "end of month." So i just walked. I made it clear I would get an Odyssey but was perfectly happy to wait a few months for close out deals and would buy from the lowest bidder. A few days later they called me back and dropped the price another $500. I still didn't bite. But I did one last blitzkrieg of online quotes then called back and spoke to the manager directly, quoted him the best price I could get and said it was take-it-or-leave it as I would just go elsewhere. He took it. Almost $1,400 lower than what they quoted at the end-of-month/quarter. In this case I had used their own tactic on them -- they had invested time into me with a test drive, multiple follow-ups and were about to lose me to competition that only invested minutes in a quote. And when I get to the dealer, I will ask to see the paperwork showing the price right away -- I don't fill out any forms until I do, so there's no chance of a "misunderstanding" on the out-the-door price.
    It takes several weeks to email and negotiate, so yeah waiting until the end of the month to start contacting people is not the best way to buy. And every dealer and deal can be unique, but knowing several people in the industry, I can tell you monthly and quarterly quotas are quite real.

You did nail the not buying if you don't like the deal. I think that is a great point. You have to be willing to walk away from the deal if you don't like it, and lots of people let the dealer wear them down and start buying all the add-ons, extended warranties, paint and interior protection plans, etc at the F&I stage.

Sounds like you got a great deal, congrats!
  • citivascitivas Member Posts: 144
    To be clear, I had already done the multiple bidding before I went in for the test drive at the end of the month (one day before the end actually, with the follow-up negotiation on the last day). And it didn't take weeks -- only about 2 days actually to get 8 specific line item OTD quotes. After the test drive (and closest) dealer came down twice a week later, but not enough, I did a follow-up with the 5 most competitive places and then got the test drive dealer to match the lowest offer, plus they had the lowest documentation fee so it became the best deal by a little and is the closest and offered free oil changes and car washes for life. None of the dealers around here offered a better deal at the end of the month as they did a week later. But I suspect that has to do with the fact that Honda added an additional incentive after the month started to it could just be the timing of that...
  • kshaksha Member Posts: 3
    Little help please from all the experts here:

I am looking for the 2013 Honda Odyssey EX-L. The OTD I received is $32,040. Is that a good price or should I bargain? I am also trading in my 2008 Toyota Camry hybrid and they are offering $13,000 for that. I would say it is in average condition. So yes or no or may be? Please give me your views...Little help please from all the experts here:
    OTD should contain tax, title etc. That is my impression.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    OTD should contain tax, title etc. That is my impression.

That would be my impression, too... but, I wouldn't count on it, until I saw a breakdown of the figures...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• spender8spender8 Member Posts: 2
    Looks like this is a good time to buy with the $1500 incentive and wondering about the OTD prices in WA or OR. Anyone recently purchased Odyssey or know about OTD prices in WA or OR?

Thanks in advance!
  • charlieliucharlieliu Member Posts: 80
    edited April 2013
    $32,040.00 OTD for EXL is really good, I think. I stopped by a NJ Honda dealer this past Saturday and offered a $33K OTD price. They said they wouldn't/couldn't do it. What state are you in?
    Regards,