Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• rimotorimoto Member Posts: 4
    Purchased at Rudy Luther Hyundai, Bloomington, MN.

In addition, the price will be reduced by $4500 when I deliver my 1990 Acura Legend on 7/24.

My hats off and admiration to those who got much better out the door prices. Not including my cash for clunkers, my out-the-door price is $15,400. Works for me. :confuse:
  • peruchoperucho Member Posts: 9
    This is my first time buying a new car. I"m buying a new car cause my current car qualifies for the CARS program.

I see other people are paying a lot less than the number I got from dealers around my area but I'm also seeing that around here, southern CT, the prices are much higher as well as the dealer fees.

for example the this is what I have gotten from a dealer

- Invoice Price of 17020 for ELantra 2009 SE PZEV
    Bluetooth Hands-Free Phone System $292
    Carpeted Floor Mats $76
    Mud Guards $68
    Carpet Cargo $64

- Ads Fees $250 ( which I'll try to have them removed)
    - Destination fee 650 ( which I'll try to have them lowered)

Add all that and it will be 18420
    Deduct 2000 Cash Back
    Deduct 4500 CARS program

Total $11190
    no including Tax and Plates.

What do you guys think? :confuse:

Edit: I wanted to add that there are not many SE around the area, let alone Hyundai dealers.
  • joegiantjoegiant Member Posts: 90
    If ya don't mind my asking, what was the listed MSRP (destination included) on your soon-to-be new car sticker, rimoto? Just curious.
    >>If ya don't mind my asking, what was the listed MSRP (destination included) on your soon-to-be new car sticker, rimoto? Just curious.

$18,090
    This could potentially reduce price paid by $400 assuming 12,000 miles driven, 30 mpg, and $1 saved per gallon in first 12 months.

When I purchased my vehicle yesterday, the dealer didn't say anything about this promo and I forgot to ask so I'm still going to haggle to get this.

The promo mentions: "For each model where a Rebate and Gasoline Offer applies, in lieu of the Gasoline Offer, customer can increase the rebate offered by adding $1000 to the rebate amount for the vehicle".

I don't know if the promo means an additional $1000 rebate can be received in addition to the exisiting $2000 rebate.

Click link:
    Hyundai Assurance Gas Lock
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I think this page will answer your questions:

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/financing/specialoffers/gaslock/offers.aspx

It's clear that if you take the $1.49 gas offer, it is in lieu of $1000 of rebates. You don't get the full rebate AND $1.49 a gallon gas. Also, it notes that the maximum number of gallons for the Elantra under this offer is 430. So gas would have to average close to $5.00 a gallon over the next year (compared to about $2.50 today) for you to make out better financially with the gas offer vs. the full rebate.
    Since you are not too far from NJ or even the DC area, I recommend you call dealers there and get some quotes. You can use the quotes as leverage with your local dealers, and if they don't budge you can decide whether it's worth it to drive out of state to buy your car. Dealers like Fitzmall for example publish their best price on the Internet for all to see, so it's easy to use those prices as leverage if they are better than what you can get locally.

You can try to negotiate the advertising fees, but some dealers don't haggle on those. I don't think you'll have much luck negotiating on the destination charge--that is a direct cost to the dealer. You would have better luck negotiating on the full price of the car. Just ask the dealer what their best price is before any rebates or the CARS program, and before tax and plates (watch out though for high "documentation fees" that some dealers use to pad their profits). The dealer may give some on their holdback or there may be some direct manufacturer-to-dealer incentives. Also, dealers will often give a lot on accessories like mats and mud guards. Do you really think those pieces of plastic (mud guards) cost $68?
    backy, thanks for this response.

Since neither dealer I was at yesterday mentioned this additional "gaslock" rebate, I'll be interested to know if anyone has gotten this rebate yet.

This seems like a perfect storm of rebates ($3000 for elantra) along with the Cash for Clunkers.

However, it seems like the dealer I purchased from may be trying to keep this gaslock rebate for themself.

Not sure though as I haven't taken delivery or given a deposit yet. I'll probably get laughed at, but I'm going to ask for the additional $1000 gas rebate tomorrow before paying the deposit.
    Please re-read my post. The gas deal is NOT an "additional" rebate. It is INSTEAD OF a portion of the manufacturer-to-buyer rebate of $2000. So if you go for the gas deal, you get only a $1000 rebate, not $2000. And it is really not a "$1000 gas rebate." The only way it would be worth at least $1000 is if the average price of gas during the next year was over $3.80 (note error in my previous post). And that's assuming you'd use at least 430 gallons of gas in the coming year.

Maybe the dealer didn't bother to mention the gas deal because he knows it's not as good a deal as just taking the full $2000 rebate. Or because you asked for the $2000 rebate (?), so the gas deal would not be applicable.
    thanks Backy for replying. I was thinking I could always buy floor mats on the local auto shop but I don't know about the mudguards... If I can buy on my local shop and install it myself then I could do without.

I see the prices at Fizmall are really great but I don't think I could drive all the way there but I"ll try other Hyundai dealers around the CT and NY area. Now I changed my mind and I'm looking for a Touring. We go camping and I think Touring will work better. Now my search is even harder because there are not many Tourings around.

• bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Try Towne Hyundai in Denville, NJ. I'm in the northern part of Trumbull and the one way distance to Towne is 100 miles.

They typically have internet pricing below invoice (before any rebates), there is no advertising charge. The price they quote includes destination charge (which as backy said is a cost to the dealer with no mark up). As of a couple months ago their doc fee is $249.

While rebates were different when we bought in Feb. '07, the Sonata we bought from them listed at $22,080. We were out the door (no trade-in) for $18,189 including 6% CT sales tax, all fees
    (state & dealer) and registration. Towne is a very high volume dealer and doesn't "play games."
    Great! One concern is to buy in a dealer that is far away or out state. I guess is a risk to take for example if you need repair or something like that.

thanks for the tip.
    It would only be a risk if there are no Hyundai dealers near you at all. You can have warranty work done at any Hyundai dealer. And maintenance and non-warranty repairs can be done by anyone who is competent to do it.
  • cstewart27cstewart27 Member Posts: 23
    My local dealer says his dealership won't be willing to do the maintenance if we don't buy there. Sounds like BS to me, but IF/WHEN that happens; Hyundai will be getting a direct call from me.
    It is BS, but for me it would be enough to make sure I never gave that dealer ANY of my business. If they treat me like that before I buy a car, I can't imagine how they'd treat me after they have my money.

I wonder what they'd do if someone moves across the country, and goes to the dealership for service? "Sorry, you didn't buy your car here--go someplace else." :confuse:
    Well backy, I'm getting ever so close to buying one of these SE Elantra's. No matter how hard I try, I keep coming back to the fact that this car gives the most "bang for the buck" for my individual needs. I know as consumers we are grouped into certain categories. I have no doubt I fall under the "What EXACTLY do I get for the money?" group. Guess we're considered the "Value" shoppers of the auto market. Thus Hyundai's emergence as a serious player in the US market in THIS economy undercutting the Japanese competition all the while maintaining an enviable reliability rating. All my opinion of course. This Korean company is leap years ahead of where they were a decade ago if one can believe the "quality ratings" (JD Powers, CR etc. etc.). Getting ready to pull the trigger...

...now I wonder how the finance guy's face will contort when I pull out my Visa card and tell him to put the car on the card (Free money for a month 'til the bill comes due not to mention the 2 percent cash back from the credit card company on the transaction. Whadduh country!!!).

Joe
  • marlenelinmarlenelin Member Posts: 87
    Joe. I have to agree with you. I have a 2008 Hyundai SE and I feel I got alot of car for the money when I bought it last year. Prices have even come down lower this year for the 2009's. I like the car so much that I went ahead and bought a 2009 Touring to replace my big Toyota Sienna Van. Marlene
  • 4elantra4elantra Member Posts: 10
    Don't think you can charge the entire amount on your credit card.
    Try calling Brad Benson & give an out-the-door pirce/bid with all the specs you want. Might be worth the travel.
    Also try checking the Hyundai service - if you cannot get good service there, don't bother buying a Hyundai......
    You're right. No dealer I've talked to (and I've talked to a lot of them over the years) allows the entire new car cost to be put on a Visa card. Now AMEX, that might be another story? When I bought my Rabbit a few months ago, that dealer's Visa limit was $2000. So I put that much on the card and got 2000 more air miles.
  • southallsouthall Member Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a Touring from West Broad Huyndai in Richmond and they let me use a Visa card for the $11k balance. They wouldn't accept Amex though, (Amex costs are too high). So I got about a 1% rebate.
    Cool! We learn something new every day.
    They "let" YOU use YOUR Visa card? Hmpf! You can go to the 7-eleven and buy a slurpee with YOUR card, candy bar in the grocery line or pay for that $3500 transmission replacement out back in the Service department at the same dealership. And then they are NOT going to "let" you use it on the purchase of a new vehicle? Doesn't make sense to me. Either you take Visa as a merchant or you don't. If you do, and you won't take mine, we might have a...legal...problem. ;)
    Any lawyers out there who can shed some light on this for us??? Might be some fine print somewhere I'm not aware of.

That said, I'm glad to hear others think like me. Free miles, cash back rebates etc. etc. For those who USE these credit cards the right way, whadduh deal!!! And think of the $20 you pocketed in interest on that $11k for a month while it sat in YOUR account 'til the bill came due.

Like I said, will be interesting to see the finance mgr's face..."Put it on the card...pah-leeez." :surprise:
    This isn't rocket science. The retailer pays a fee to Visa when a customer uses the card. For the average purchase, that's no big deal and the retailer has built the fee into their pricing structure. But if you go to a car dealer and negotiate down to a rock bottom price, then expect the dealer to fork over a big chunk of change to Visa in fees, are you surprised if they say, "no, thanks"? I'm not. In fact, if a dealer gladly takes a Visa card for the full purchase price of a car, I'd wonder if I really did get that great a deal on the car!
    backy, I think you just inadvertently stumbled onto something absolutely brilliant as it relates to car negotiations that up 'til now have not even been considered. Pull out Visa card..or AMEX...I don't care which,and measure the degree of jump you get outta the guy or gal on the other side of the desk and paper signing time. Might be an excellent indicator as to just how good your deal really is...or is NOT! Should they launch and bang head on ceiling, you know you're in the sweet spot. Not even a flinch and those boys are high-fiving in the backroom. Something in between and you need to "think about it" some more. ;) Excellent strategy!!!
  • marlenelinmarlenelin Member Posts: 87
    The dealers whom I have bought cars from who take credit cards, usually have a limit of $4,000 on the cardm abd want the rest in a check.
  • greatlakesjrgreatlakesjr Member Posts: 109
    I have not yet driven in an Elantra yet but am impressed with what I perceive to be a pretty good value for the car vs. other sedans. I got an online quote from a dealer (Michigan) for an SE w/auto trans. (no premium package) for $15,950 which presumably includes dest. charge but not tax, title or license. I assume I have some wriggle room at this point plus I have a "clunker" (old Plymouth Gr. Voyager) that could net me another $4,500 as it reads an EPA mileage of 18 and the Elantra is at 28 which is right on the 10mpg threshold I'd need.

Any thoughts? Thank you.
    Without even bringing the clunker trade into the picture, I'd definitely agree that you have some wiggle room. When you get to the low 14's ( which includes freight & dealer fees, not taxes/tags/title etc.) I think you are nearing a deal. In the next several days we'll be able to tell ya one way or the other as to the truthfulness to the numbers I've been quoted on the same exact car you are currently looking at.

Mid-Atlantic area for the quotes btw.
  • jackas11jackas11 Member Posts: 5
    I have a firm quote in DFW area for an Elantra SE of 11k ;) OTD. I did this using a cash for clunkers trade ( :lemon: 1996 Thunderbird worth $500.00 :lemon: ). No other dealer in the DFW area would touch it. I even have a "guest proposal" (written breakdown of purchase proposal).

I took this "guest proposal" into another dealer that promised to beat any quote by $500.00. They balked and I filed a complaint with the BBB.

I'll go down this Friday to pick-up my RARE natural khaki 2009 Elantra SE with gray interior, silver pinstripes, floor mats and mud guards .

It took me a lot of work and, in some cases, a little shamelessness, but I got her done.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    How are you guys getting these deals? I'm in NY state and none of the dealers will budge below invoice minus rebates. I'm looking at grabbing a demo with 5k miles on it just to cut the price.
    Well, depending on the MSRP of the car in the previous case (e.g. maybe it was a stick), the rebates applied (might have been more than the $2000 rebate), and taxes/fees, that price might not have been too far below invoice before rebates and CARS cash. That's why I really appreciate it when folks provide details on their deal.

In your case, you might venture outside NY a bit (maybe just to NJ) to get some quotes, see if you can do better than invoice before rebates. Then use those quotes as leverage in NY, or just go buy the car in NJ.
    It was an auto. The taxes were .0625 and all License and fees were $189.00. Some dealers wanted $250.00 for advertising and high dealer prep fees.

I hope any info I provide is beneficial (I think I provided a fair amount of detail) as I, like the other gent in DFW that purchased a GLS for 10,900, had little else to go on. Oh and it only had 26 miles on it and had been on the lot less than 60 days.
    That is the EXACT quote I have at the moment going into the weekend...jack'. Hyundai Elantra SE auto with mats and mud guards. After $4500 trade, after all the rig-ah-mah-roll paperwork to pay the various government agencies for the right to drive on the Great American Highway, eleven thousand dollars...actually a lil' less by a couple bucks but I'm rounding. All on my VISA card if they'll "let" me. :P

PS If that number surprises ya, there's actually one or two cheaper but I don't like the color combinations of those cars (Exterior & Interior).
    PSS backy, I caved on the auto vs. manual debate with my wife after reading MANY of your comments on the various boards. If sitting in traffic (and it is getting worse by the day!!!), why not the automatic??? Makes sense.
    Tried CT (Danbury), as well as NY (Beacon: Healey and Kingston: Prestige) I'm without my own wheels right now so it's a little difficult to get to NJ. Though I did drop a couple of e-mails and they also seemed disinclined to move. It's sounding like the Elantra is popular with the CARS program around here because of the MPG and the dealers here have noticed it and are starting to firm up on pricing. On the SEs they know they can get it...Healey has almost 10 GLS for every SE they've got, the others seem to be close to reaching that ratio.

That demo is actually a Touring..looks like that's the only way I'll get into one (I prefer hatches...loved my Mazda3's hatch, but the engine just went on me...have to go whine and rant in the Mazda forums later, rod went 3 months after the warranty expired and put a hole in the block). I should hear back on pricing today: if they can get it below $16,500 I'll get the thing, otherwise I'll have to settle for an SE, since I can't get anyone to go below that.

If only GM made a halfway decent compact I could check them out: I could always make them move on price. Then again, if they made a halfway decent compact they wouldn't have gone BK. :shades:
    I plan to put the taxes and fees on my AMEX for a 3% rebate as that's all I can afford. The rest (@10k) I'll finance with my credit union at 3.5% interest. The payments will be @ $300 per month for 36 months.

I did see another SE w/ auto that was about 50 miles away (silver w/ gray interior, pinstripes, floor mats, mud guards AND tinted windows for 11k OTD), but that is too far for me to drive my clunker. Besides, I prefer khaki over silver. If anything should go wrong at the sales floor (high probability of that without a written quote) then I'm stuck

Cash for clunkers, poor car sales near the end of the year, good timing and just general competition all make for a shoppers paradise.
    I was able to get that price from Danbury and New Rochelle for the Touring Base. I'm also bringing my clunker so is a 3500 deduction on the price. But you are right they are getting firm on the prices.

I'm picking my touring tomorrow or Sat. I'm so excited.

OK just to help with numbers to anyone in the south CT/NY Area.

Danbury Offered me
    OTD price of 14308.72 ( includes all rebates, cash for clunkers at 3,500 and taxes and fees)

New Rochelle was 13990 OTD price as well. This is for the Base Touring.

Could I have done better? may be. But I'm getting 3,500 for my cluncker and 3000 Dealer/Manuf rebates and I don't like being in a dealership.

New rochelle had only a $45 doc fee and $10 for tires recycling ( I called it BS) and Danbury had Dealer fee of $359 and other fee for $110.

Hope it helps.
    You know, after adjusting for your Cash for Clunkers, it sounds like you're getting WORSE numbers than me...Danbury basically gave you $17,808. New Rochelle gave you $17,490 ($10 less than Healey did for me). Yep, definitely firming up. Now I'm even more interested in that demo...if Prestige is reasonable I should be able to get it for $15k (Realistically $14.5 but I'd pay $15. Heck I might pay $16 the way prices are going). I figure a 5k mile demo should knock $3k off of any price, and there's still the $1500 in rebates.

My car doesn't clunk enough for Cash for Clunkers. Of course, right now it doesn't clunk at all, but the "new" MPG was 23 combined I think. Curse Mazda and the engine they rode in on: did you know a used 2.3L Mazda3 engine for a 2004 is $4500 plus labor? I just checked the 2.0L Beta that the 09s use...$2200 plus labor. :shades:
    Yes, is actually 17490 with 6% taxes included but I'm not paying it. Out of my pocket will be 13990 wich works for me. Obviously taxes are not negotiable ( I wish it was) so from NR , the price of the car not including taxes would be 16440.6, 1200 less than the dealer in Millford,CT wanted.

Also, there are not many Elantra SE's and Tourings around here but there are many GLs.

Get the demo if the price is right.

PS: I could have gone to NJ, but I was afraid my "clunker" would not make it there. ;)
  • evergreen2evergreen2 Member Posts: 9
    Hi Joegiant,

Sounds like you got a good deal. Just a thought. Instead of using my Visa card, I take the money for the car and invest it in something like Fidelity Ginnie Mae Fund (Bond fund) which gives me about 4.25%. So I make more than I pay in interest. Currently have a loan with Red Rocks Credit Union in Highlands Ranch, CO for 2% for two years. High payments per month, but that doesn't matter to me. Just a thought.
  • kurto2021kurto2021 Member Posts: 5
    OK here is what I got

2009 Elantra SE auto, air, spoiler, alloy wheels, cloth interior, mud flaps, car mats.

After all said and done I got it for 12992.43.

That includes tax at 6.3% and my $4500 cash for clunkers. Do I push them for cheaper or is that good...I have to go sign on it tomorrow morning.
    Push them for cheaper. Even with these guys being firm I was offered $16.5k price for an SE with most of the same options. You're looking at $17.5k without the cash for clunkers. No way a spoiler and mud flaps are worth a grand.
  • rhy1rhy1 Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a 2009 SE (blue with cloth interior and sun roof) for 14,600. Destination charges were added in and I didn't have a clunker to trace. Bought in Virginia.
    If only GM made a halfway decent compact...

I think the Astra is quite decent--a risk though given no one knows where Saturn will end up.

Good luck on the Touring, or SE.
    Unfortunately things are very different here in the Northeast, and dealers aren't going an inch below invoice here.

However, I just got a price on my Touring demo, and while it's not as low as I wanted, it's a better deal than the SE. $16k plus tax and fees.
    I think you can go 1,000 less than that. Initially I was going to buy the SE, but cause I have kids, I went for the Touring but it costs more, has only 1,500 manu rebate and only get 3,500 from my clunker because the difference between the combined mileage of my clunker and the touring is 9.

Otherwise I was going to get my SE for about low 12,000 or hight 11000.

good luck :D
  • dundee2dundee2 Member Posts: 2
    was that an automatic and who was the dealer and what was the cost breasdown
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    Hyundai has agressively cut the price (thru unadvertised incentives) in different parts of the country for years.

That said, the price in NY/NJ for the gls auto with pkg (msrp 17400) has been in the mid 14000's at clearance time for several years. Other areas may have higher incentives.

Your govt has also flooded the market a bit with about 270,000 $4000 cash for clunker vouchers, which will probably raise sales about 10-20% in some parts of the country for a few months. This has jacked up prices a bit around the country.

I've seen numerous dealer ads around here selling vehicles that were advertised at $15000 for months now at $17000 minus the $4000 voucher. (How generous, they "let" you keep half the govt bucks! -- why shouldn't they? you work hard!)

Car dealers and congressmen, the lowest trusted professions in just about every survey. (Hint: the car dealers actually rate **slightly** higher than congressmen, er... congresspeople)

Good luck
    --jjf

How are you guys getting these deals? I'm in NY state and none of the dealers will budge below invoice minus rebates. I'm looking at grabbing a demo with 5k miles on it just to cut the price.
    You guys rule!!!!

I called another dealership about 3 hours away told them I knew others were getting for 11k and that I currently have one lined up for 12,900. He called me back with an offer of 11,880 no spoiler but with Bluetooth. Scholfield went down to 12,500 from 12,900 but I said no thanks. Driving to olathe in the morning
    one last question....is it possible to get a nav system on an elantra? I was told by the dealer it was but can't figure out how.
    There are any number of aftermarket nav systems to choose from. Nav is not available as a factory option on the Elantra in the USA. But since Elantras in other countries can have nav, maybe your dealer knows a way to get one of those units and put it into the dash. Ask your dealer for details.
    That said, the price in NY/NJ for the gls auto with pkg (msrp 17400) has been in the mid 14000's at clearance time for several years.

Of course. Everyone wants the SE. Not the GLS, particularly with no A/C. As I was saying, the dealers around here have got almost 10 GLSes in stock for every SE.

I just signed the papers on my Touring, picking it up Saturday. $16,400 plus tax (and after the $1500 rebate). But to get that price I had to get a demo. Automatic, mud guards and floor mats are the only options.