Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    I wouldn't, considering the 'Combined' rating has zero meaning for me. I commute 100 miles a day round-trip. I care about the "highway" rating, period (I drive maybe 10% non-highway maximum). And that's where the big difference is...5 MPG is much more significant a difference. :shades:
  • billsbuddiebillsbuddie Member Posts: 41
    That 5 speed A/T may give some additional MPG but I sure found all of the downshifting irritating when I drove a Sonata. I liked the 4 speed on the Touring much better.
    I dunno, I'm thinking I could use the extra cog. Every once in a while the Touring seems to be reluctant to downshift...either that or 3rd gear isn't geared quite right. I know sometimes when I'm entering a highway I have to get it down to 2nd because it's not really accelerating from 35-40 MPH.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I've driven the 5AT in the Sonata (and similar unit in the Optima) multiple times and didn't notice a problem with frequent downshifting. I did notice really low revs on the highway, though. :) The 4AT is fine for around-town driving, but the revs get a little up there on the highway.
  • robnessmonsterrobnessmonster Member Posts: 11
    Hey, everybody. I've been a lurker on this forum ever since I've been in the market for an Elantra and have really enjoyed all the information you all continue to share.

Well, after much haggling, I finally got a quote from a dealer here in Texas and would really like your opinion on it. Here are the details for the unit...

2009 Elantra GLS
    -automatic transmission
    -A/C with Popular Equipment Package
    -Sun Roof
    -Carpeted Floor Mats
    -Mud Guards

...for a quoted price of $14,250 plus TT&L. I don't have a lot of money to spend on a vehicle right now, so I'm trying to get the best deal I possibly can. If this is indeed a good deal and my initial research would lead me to believe it is, the only thing from keeping me from pulling the trigger are the safety features/upgrades on a SE. Unfortunately, I have not been able to negotiate a good price for a SE, as all the local dealers want over $15,000 for a standard one.

Anyway, so what do you all think. Is this a fair deal or should I wait for the 2010 Elantras to arrive so I can negotiate a better deal on a 09 Elantra at that time. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide me with.

-Robert
  • zodiac711zodiac711 Member Posts: 18
    Robert,

Provided that the price quoted (a) isn't including a cash for clunkers (or CARS) discount, and provided that (b) the TTL fee's from the dealer are just that, as per your state's DMV (and not some inflated dealer mark-up BS), I would say it's a very good deal. Of course, pricing can vary by region -- how does it stack up against the Edmund's TMV?

As far as waiting to negotiate an even better price: Are you wanting to take advantage of the CARS program? If you wait, there is always the risk that it won't be around later. If however you aren't wanting to take advantage of it, I suspect that once the well dry's up (a few months thereafter), there will be some good deals to be had... Not as good as the government giving an additional $4,500 off, but still better than what the manufacturer/dealer is currently giving.
  • joem854joem854 Member Posts: 11
    Rob, that's actually a very good deal. The MSRP on the car you quoted should be $18,670 and the invoice should be $17,967. That means you're getting quoted a price that's $1,717 below invoice ($3,717 if you include the $2,000 manufacturer's rebate, although the $1,717 number is what you should go with since everyone gets the $2,000 off). And the Edmunds TMV on that car is $18,323 before the $2,000 rebate, which means you're getting the car for $2,073 below Edmunds TMV price.

To be honest, it doesn't make much sense to me. With the increase in demand from cash for clunkers (even though you're not participating), it's become more difficult to get good prices. Many people are having to fight to get Elantras for even a few hundred below invoice. Yet the price you're talking about would have been considered excellent even several months ago when demand was at its lowest.

Something else that doesn't make sense is that you're being quoted $750 more for a standard SE. A standard SE equipped with mudguards and floor mats like your GLS has an MSRP of $18,720 and an invoice of $17,954. These numbers are right in line with the GLS with sunroof you mentioned so the dealer should be willing to part with it for a similar price.

As to your question about waiting for the 2010 Elantras to come out to try and get an even better price on the 09.... I'm not sure what to tell you. Conventional wisdom is that prices on the previous year's models do drop as they try and close them out. However, with inventory levels being lower it means that sometimes you're not able to get the car with the options and color combination you might prefer. And frankly, given how outstanding the current price you're being offered is, I'm not really sure just how much you might save by waiting. Perhaps someone else might have a better notion of the maximum amount it might be possible to save on an 09 by waiting for the 2010s to come out.
    Thanks for taking the time to give your advice, Zodiac! I plan to deal on a car pretty soon so I really appreciate the timely advice.

As for the GLS I'm dealing on, Edmunds is showing me a TMV of $16,323 for this particular vehicle so the offer seems pretty reasonable. Here's my dillema though...

I do hope to take advantage of the CARS program (price quoted does NOT include the 4500 would-be discount), but I also hope to take advantage of the price break I would receive when the new 2010 Elantras start arriving. From what I've read, I believe they should be on lots in about a month or so. Thing is I'm not sure if the CARS program will still be in effect at that time or if hyundai will be offering the $2,000 rebate as well.

So when do you think is the best time to deal? Jump in now or wait one more month for a better discount? I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on the offer I have now because I keep thinking that the 2010 arrival will help me get a 2009 SE in my price range. And I'm the type of person who keeps a car for 5-10 years, so I'm just really trying to think things through and make the best decision I possibly can.

Thanks in advance for any and all input you all can provide!

Edit: Thanks for the input, Joe! Allow me to clarify - after a lot of haggling on my end, getting a standard SE would cost be between $14,998 and $15,977. Since I can't seem to find a good deal on a SE (all throughout Texas at least), I'm starting to really think if I should just forgo all of the SE extras and get a loaded GLS for $14,250 (before Cars rebate, before t/t/l). By the way, prices definitely seemed to be a lot better before the CARS program went into effect. Anyway, thanks for your advice and any pointers that can help me making the right deal!
  • boomnhowerboomnhower Member Posts: 11
    By now, and I mean now. The CFC's is not going to be around for long, I am guessing two weeks max before it is exhausted. One of the major Hyundai dealers in the state stopped excepting CFC already. I would go ahead and jump before you miss out. Even if you could possibly get a better deal closer to the 10's release it would be minimal at best.
  • joegiantjoegiant Member Posts: 90
    Do a hypothetical. Let's say ya wait a month or even two. Let's also say the Clunkers program comes to a close and you no longer are eligible FOR THE $4500 cash give away. Let's also say Mr. & Mrs. Hyundai are pretty sure they are not going to discount further since their inventories on '09 Elantras are lookin' kinda low. Hmmm...

...if it's a $50-$100 clunker you're tradin' in, that's a mighty fine chunk ah change you're leaving on the table. OTOH, if your clunker is worth considerably more, changes the picture a bit but I'm still leaning towards pulling the trigger. Afterall, as previously noted, if the #'s you've listed hold true at paper signing time in the backroom, yours IS a good deal. Enjoy your new car.
    Something else that doesn't make sense is that you're being quoted $750 more for a standard SE.

This makes perfect sense. SEs tend to be much more rare than the GLS, and they are quite popular because they have ESC, better handling, nicer-looking wheels, features not available on the GLS like telescopic steering column and trip computer, plus the SE is CR's top choice in compacts. So dealers must think they can charge more for them. Supply and demand rules again.
    Thanks again for all your help, everyone. All things considered, I now agree that right now is the best time to deal, especially since I plan on taking advantage of the CARS program.

One last thing I'd very much like your opinion on though are the differences between the GLS and SE? I have went over the breakdown on what is and isn't included, but am more interested in hearing your feedback on whether or not the differences should have a huge bearing on my decision? For my preferred SE, I'm looking at a difference of about $2,500 (it's a SE with a sunroof as well). For a car I will keep for at least the next 5-7 years, what would you go with?

2009 Elantra GLS
    -popular equipment package with sunroof
    $14,250 (before cars and t/t/l)

2009 Elantra SE
    -popular equipment package
    $14,998 (before cars and t/t/l)

2009 Elantra SE
    $16,715 (before cars and t/t/l)

I was originally expecting to spend around 10-11k after CARS, but these are the best options I have so far. Thanks again for all your input - you have no idea how comforting it is to get advice from you instead of trusting what the salesman consider a "good deal" to be.
    The GLS is missing the telescoping steering, traction/stability control, as well as some of the steering-wheel mounted controls. Some models don't have A/C either. The SE has alloy wheels and supposedly better handling but I didn't notice any difference.

Personally, I don't see much point to the GLS. If you're going to give up traction and stability control, why not get an Accent, save money, and get better fuel economy? And if you WANT traction and stability, why not look at the base Kia Forte that just came out? No A/C, crank windows, but it has traction and stability control.

Of course, there's a ton of GLS models out there, and few SEs or Tourings for these very reasons. So dealers should be prepared to get REAL cheap on the GLS just to get rid of them. Se...not so much. They know people want them. WHich they do. For good reason. Look what you're getting for $2500. If you dump the sunroof, look what you're getting for that and $750. Persoanlly I hardly ever used the sunroof on my old car...it was there mostly to generate wind noise and cut my headroom. Oh, and because they wouldn't put ABS on the thing unless it already had a sunroof. :shades:

Bottom line: If you're going to keep a car for 5-7 years, get the one you like the most. There's no sense punishing yourself for those years with "why did I give up?" It's worth it to prevent a case of buyer's remorse...which can lead to early, upside-down trade ins. :shades:
    bpizzuti:
    If you don't want ESC, why get an Elantra over an Accent? The Elantra is roomier, offered 4-wheel anti-lock disc brakes, and at least with what I was looking at, only marginally more expensive than the Accent.

At the end of the day, you could use the logic "Why not get xxx" to go from a base Accent to a top of the line BMW... It ultimately comes down to price [what you want and can afford to pay] / features [what features you need/want].

While I'm sure the ESC, better suspension(?), etc., on the SE is worth the $$$, I hardly believe it qualifies as a reason to go with the Accent if you don't spring for it. Maybe for you (and others), but not for everyone (myself included).
    Rob,

As another poster stated, the CARS incentive isn't going to last forever. But, depending on what you are wanting to trade-in (it's value), along with whether you believe it will last long-enough, it's ultimately all a gamble.

I traded in a '95 Nissan Pathfinder w/ ~ 225k miles on it. It had some issues, but nothing that affected it's driveability. With that said, it would have been a huge, HUGE bummer to have had it *die* before I could have traded it in. It would equally have been a HUGE bummer had the CARS program stopped before I had the opportunity.

So the above, combined with your risk tolerance should guide you.

The question to ask yourself is this: How much do you truly think the '09 prices will go down when the '10's roll-out, and is that savings worth it? Again, this is assumin g that:
    a) CARS program is still running
    b) Dealers haven't cleared-out their '09 inventory due to the success of the CARS program
    c) Dealer is still willing to offer you the aforementioned deal (and make it even sweeter)
    d) Hyundai is still running their current rebate (if not a better rebate)
    e) Your vehicle is still in CARS-ready condition

Let's say we had a crystal ball and knew you could shave $500 off. Would shaving that $500 off be worth the risk to you? What about $400? $300? Of course, we don't know how much it would be -- it could be less, it could be more... It could even go up in price... The dealer could no longer make their offer and/or not even have stock to if they wanted.)

Personally, I can't imagine it will be shaved that much lower (if at all). At the same time, as others have noted, it represents a significantly lower price point on a very popular selling vehicle... Why the dealer is offering this is beyond me (and smells a bit fishy...)
    The Elantra is roomier, offered 4-wheel anti-lock disc brakes, and at least with what I was looking at, only marginally more expensive than the Accent.

I've sat in both, the roominess in the front seat is about equal. Now, if you need back seat room that's a different story.

The Accent SE offers optional ABS.

It ultimately comes down to price [what you want and can afford to pay] / features [what features you need/want].

I believe I mentioned something about "get the one you like" to avoid buyer's remorse. Everyone's opinion on that is different. What I offered was my opinion. I still don't think it's worth it to drop to the GLS unless it's significantly below the price of an Accent SE. Others might differ...but I'm thinking not very many, given the fact that so many dealers have so many GLS models still sitting on their lots.
    Thanks for all the wonderful feedback, fellas. I've been thinking it through and have decided to pass on my pending deal (2009 Elantra GLS with sunroof for $14,250 before t/t/l). I'm glad to have been extended the offer, but have decided to wait for a good deal on a 2009 SE. Here's what I'm currently looking at...

2009 Elantra SE
    -popular equipment package
    $14,998 (before cars and t/t/l)

2009 Elantra SE
    $16,715 (before cars and t/t/l)

2009 Elantra SE
    -popular equipment package with sunroof, leather interior
    $17,900 (before cars and t/t/l)

To be honest, I'm not too happy with these prices and that's why it's going to force me to play the waiting game. As you all have mentioned, it's a big risk because CARS could go out at any moment and Hyundai might not offer a strong rebate next month. All I know is that I don't want to feel hosed over a deal and live with buyer's remorse. Besides, since I plan to keep this vehicle for 5-10 years, I want to make sure I get one that is fully equipped and can be a smooth ride for years to come. So the waiting game begins...please let the board know when you get wind of the 2010 models showing up.

P.S.: I am still hoping to spend about 14-15k on a standard SE and between 15-17 on a loaded one.
    I am confused here because to my knowledge, there is no such thing as a "popular equipment package" on the SE. There's a "premium package", with sunroof and heated seats, and there's the "premium package with leather" (self-explanatory).

So I am unclear as to what options are included for each of the prices you listed.

You might try going into the dealers that have an SE you want and tell them "I will buy it RIGHT NOW for $X." Money talks, especially as month-end nears. Then be prepared to buy a car, in case they say "OK".

Also, decide if you really need a sunroof or leather. Those will increase your costs quite a bit on this car. If you can stick to the base SE, which is quite well equipped but no sunroof or leather, you are already in your stated price range of $14-15k.
    Hi, backy! My apologies - you are correct, the packages for the SE are actually considered "premium" packages instead of the popular equipment package they use on the GLS models.

And, yes, I think that's going to be my big gamble. If CARS is still in effect at the end of the month, I'll visit the dealership that last weekend and make one last offer on a SE. That's the only way I see myself getting a fair deal. What do you think a good offer would be at that point? I think I'm going to stick to my guns and go for the following vehicle...

2009 Elantra SE
    -auto transmission
    -premium package with sunroof, heated seats, leather interior, etc.

MSRP: About $20,000
    e-price: 18,120
    Haggled Price: $17,900 ("car is in high demand and we can't give it away"-dealer)

Right now, I'm thinking 16,500 and going overbudget on a car I will hopefully get a lot of use out of for the next 5-10 years. too high, too low, just right? Thanks again for all your help, everyone. I'll be sure to keep you posted on how things go or feel free to say "I told you so" if CARS runs out before I attempt my purchase.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Not sure where you are located but http://fitzmall.com has been a good resource for internet pricing. Their current low price for an Elantra SE equipped as you desire is $17,711. Their no-haggle pricing is usually pretty fair and lower than most, but no means the lowest. Just a thought. ;)
    Yeah, I am thinking $16.5k + T&L for a loaded Elantra SE, after $2000 rebate but before C4C, would take some luck at this time. It could happen... a dealer might need a couple more sales to reach a sales target for example. Doesn't hurt to try. It's actually not too far off base, considering the price at invoice less rebate and holdback is around $17k.
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    I too am from Tx and am wondering where you are seeing these kind of deals for?
    What part of Texas are you from, Alamocity, and how far you willing to drive for a vehicle? And are you looking for a GLS or SE? Let me know and I will do my very best to help you out.

And for those of you who may be wondering, I'm still planning on making a trip to the dealership next weekend to see if they may budge on the price right when the month is about to end. If the vehicle and CARS is still in effect by then, I hope to get a fair deal on the 2009 Elantra SE with premier package 5 (sunroof, heated seats, leather interior, etc.). Not very happy with the $17,900 asking price (For a MSRP of $20,000 while a $2,000 rebate is in effect), so I am hoping they will come down to $16,500 or possibly less. The salesman said just the other day that "these Elantras are in high demand so we aren't going to discount them anymore." I hope they change their tune if it's still there at the end of the month. If it's so hot, I wonder why they still have so many on the lot still...
    But how many of those are SEs? I see quite a few GLSes on lots, but since the current generation debuted in late 2006, I've seen maybe two SEs on dealer lots. It was nearly impossible to find one to test drive. And this is a big metro area (Twin Cities) with several Hyundai dealers.
    Hi, backy. Right now, the dealership I'm hoping to land a deal with has about 10 SEs on the lot (3 of them loaded with premium package 5). How many of these can they sell by next weekend with the 2010s around the corner? Your guess is as good as mine, but I'm hoping they will want to clear whatever is left at the end of next week. So odd though that I tried giving them a serious offer on the phone just the other day and they're still sticking to their guns that "Elantras are hot sellers, so we're not going to discount them any further." So I'm going to follow the board's advice and hope they change their tune when I show up in person with a check in hand next Saturday.

To be honest, the best offers I have received are from smaller dealerships who don't have much inventory at all. I figure the elephant would've offered the best deal, but we'll see how timing and REAL supply/demand factor into my purchase.
    One factor to consider is how many units the dealer sells in a month. If it's a volume dealer, 10 SEs may not be very many. If it's a small dealer, 2-3 might be more than they want on the lot at any one time.

It will be interesting to see if Mr. Big Dealer sings a different song around about Aug. 28 or so, which is good timing I think. May not be good to wait for the last day of the month--if the dealer has made its sales targets by then, or has no hope of doing so, they may not be especially incented to make a great deal.
    Thanks for your continued advice, backy. I agree - since this is the largest Hyundai dealer in the area, they are most definitely a high volume seller and who knows how comfortable they are with having ten 2009 SEs on their lot, not including all the GLS models.

I'm planning on heading up on the 28th or 29th to try and close a deal. Does anyone have any more pointers they could share to help me in my negotiations? For example, lets say that by the end of the month, they still have 8-9 SEs on the lot. I'm thinking that will put me in a stronger position, but then again, I don't know how cocky these guys are if they really moved a lot of cars thanks to Cash for Clunkers early this month. If that's the case, I imagine they could possibly hold out and try to sell the car barely below MSRP. If that's the case, I may be forced to walk but I definitely gotta try though.

And I gotta admit I'm still sketchy on whether or not I should offer 16,500 for a vehicle that is scheduled to have the following years model come out in a few weeks. If they try to get me to pay MSRP for a 09, might as well wait and get a 2010 for the same, right? That's why I'm just really hoping that they'll give me a deal on a loaded 09 next week. But now I'm wondering if I should offer less, more, or if that's a fair amount. I just don't want to get hosed and regret my decision...
    I live in San Antonio and as to how far I'd be willing to drive that depends on the deal the dealership would be offering. Haven't priced the Elantra locally in a while as my primary focus has been on the Sonata but the CARS program has elevated the price on them quite a bit. I'd be happy with the SE model without any of the add on packages and from what i've read the CARS program will be ending soon as the dealer association is saying the money is gone already.
    CARS is ending Monday so you better get a deal in the next couple days. The dealers are going to know this as well so you may not get as good of a deal as a couple days ago but its still going to be better than you would ever do sans CARS. ">link title
  • jackas11jackas11 Member Posts: 5
    I'm glad that I got my natural khaki and grey interior SE with automatic, silver pin stripes, floor mats, Ipod cable and cargo tray for $11034 OTD (including a $4500 cash for clunkers). I closed on July 24th. I was also fortunate enough to get the financing at 3.5% for three years from my credit union (total interest is like $575). Man, I see that prices have gone WAY UP since then.

I live in DFW and the tax rate is .0625 and doc fee was $50. License and other stuff was was something like $275. I think my total closing costs were only $850. The $4500 in Texas is not taxable so that helped a lot. In addition, I'll be able to get 20% of the taxes back from the IRS.
    Well there went my plans! I didn't think that C4C would be ending so soon. So, that means that dealerships might be swamped this weekend and I would more than likely have to pay close to sticker for my preferred vehicle.

$17,900 for a 2009 Elantra SE with sunroof/leather interior? Even if I take advantage of Cash for Clunkers, just seems like I would be overpaying. Decisions, decisions...
    How much life ya got left in the clunker? You're right. If you go into the dealership this weekend might resemble Custer at Lil' Big Horn. Not good. Maybe let some time pass now 'til the feeding frenzy is over and see if ol' Uncle Sap comes back sometime in the future (next year's an election year afterall) with another give-away. Just make sure to keep 'er insured and registered!!!
    Fortunately, I probably have about 2 years left in my clunker. It's in rough shape though, so that's why I would have preferred to get a vehicle this summer. But just like you said,anyone who goes in looking for a deal this weekend is heading for an ambush. The dealers know they have any C4C customers bent over a barrel and are more than likely going to be sticking to MSRP, less any manufacturer rebates.

So, as of now, I'm probably just going to sit it out and see if there are any good deals towards the end of the year. I think once auto sales see a big drop in September, the auto industry will have to rally and offer some really good incentives to move more cars towards the end of the year.

If anyone takes advantage of C4C this weekend and has any positive reports to share, please let everyone know. Given the conditions, smart money says dealers won't budge, but maybe you can prove us wrong. I'd imagine once C4C is down with, prices will go back down and people will start hearing of deals that will resemble the pre-C4C era.
    P.S.: By the way, for those of you in Texas, you can find pretty good GLS deals in the Houston area. I'd mention the specific lot, but the dealer asked me not to. Just know that if you drive around and stick to your guns, you can definitely work them down on a 2009 GLS. Hope this helps!
    Look at it as a financial equation. Figure it with the C4C money and without. Maybe assume you could get more of a discount after C4C ends. Factor in the actual trade value of your clunker. I'll bet you'll find you are better off with C4C than without. So if you have time to kill today or tomorrow, it wouldn't hurt to go in and take your best shot, see what happens.
    Thanks I'll keep that in mind.
    I agree with backy. Yes, if you buy this weekend you are likely going to pay more than you would have last week. But I don't see any point ever again that you are going to talk them $6500 off of sticker.
    Next year's an election year remember. Lollipops given out for all. Pah-leez vote for me, me, me. You get the picture. Might not be the last "clunker" legislation we see. Poster said clunker has another two years or so in 'er. Never say never. Time will tell if that $6500 comes around again.

PS If ya buy this weekend (7th Cav. types...repeat - Lil' Big Horn happening as I write), why the heck didn't ya buy last month at the same time? Waaaaay different atmosphere end of July...BEFORE the tidal wave of buyers knocked down the dealer's doors and broke all the computers trying to get on the government websites for voucher submission. All JMHO of course.
    With all the backlash from this program I can't imagine we will ever see again.
    What backlash? I haven't seen much backlash...just a dinky $2-3 billion program that stimulated the economy more than any $750 billion program. One where many cars made in America (And a serious Detroit manufacturer who hasn't gone through a BK) have benefited. Along with Hyundai, who are expanding operations in the US. Plus the states and localities make serious money off of the sales and other taxes on these largish sales.

If the economy continues to be flat or worse, I could see another round next year or something, particularly to buy some votes. It'd be even better next year, since Chevy might have the Cruze and Ford should have the Fiesta, both of which should give Hyundai a run for their money (I like Hyundai but I like competition more).

Besides which, as mentioned, this weekend is a rotten time to buy...it's the do-or-die date for the current CARS, and it's also not the end of the month, when dealers need to meet quotas. There's better times coming up...the 2010s should come out within the next couple of months, which will drive prices on the 09s way down and bring serious rebates. After that one might have another CARS program. Which tells me it's wise to wait for the next opportunity if possible.
  • joem854joem854 Member Posts: 11
    With all the backlash from this program I can't imagine we will ever see (it) again.

What backlash? I haven't seen much backlash...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------

I sure hope we don't see this program again. I've been told that the cash for clunkers program is downright evil. The America I know and love is not one in which my car will have to stand in front of Obama’s “death panel” so his bureaucrats can decide, based on a subjective judgment of their MPG rating whether they are worthy of $3,500 or $4,500 in rebates.

Ok, ok.. sorry about that. I just couldn't resist. :)
  • 09elantraowner09elantraowner Member Posts: 18
    ...and I can see Russia from my Hyundai... :)
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    C4C:

F'd up program

Many models this time of year have sold for 3000-$8000+ off msrp for numerous closeout years. (Mazda3, Elantra, Sonata, Impala etc)

Many idiots are paying more for many models than they have sold for the previous 3 summers.

After the dealers have replaced their usual discounts from msrp and unadvertised incentives with the $4000 govt cash, and the fact that many "clunkers" may have brought $2000 or more in trade, most customers are behind on the deal, or at best a wash. Most of the dough if not all went to the dealer/nameplate.

If ya actually got a $10000 deal for a $17500 elantra, and $4000 for your $250 clunker more power to you.You're the valedictorian of the buyers.

Many dealers have stated that they will **continue** the C4C program on their own on certain models for a significant period! Unbelieveable! (Gosh grandma, how will dealers discount cars $3000-$8000 off list that have usually sold for a $3000-$8000 discount in august the last 4 years?)

My favorites are the Honda civic/other forums when C4C is mentioned MSRP+$1000 protection package is the automatic minimum starting point. (The civic usually sells for $3000 off list in july) Can't blame them, with a shortage of popular/qualifying metal why do anything else?

Some of these people probably haven't bought a new car since the Reagan administration.

Good luck
    --jjf
    My problem with the program is that it is way to lenient on trucks. If the whole point of the program is to get more fuel efficient vehicle on the road then what is the point of allowing trucks to be traded in on new ones that get a whole 2 MPG more. IMHO the new vehicle should have have a minimum 25 MPG rating. It was a flawed program but was great for publicity and political good will from the public as it did allow a lot of people to get into a new car that wouldn't have otherwise.
    I'd have to disagree with your statement in my case. First - are you really suggesting that a model year-end Elantra GLS with a basic option package (enough to get A/C) would be discounted by $8K? Off of a $17,755 MSRP? That's a 45% discount - who can afford to survive making deals like that? I could see $3-4K in the case of an Elantra - but not much more...

However, $8,005 off of MSRP IS what I got with C4C included. I'm happy as can be as I couldn't have gotten even $1500 for my clunker otherwise. ('02 Trooper with bad tranny, and 4WD that wouldn't engage)

Let's assume that I COULD have gotten $1,500, plus the $2K rebate, PLUS $2K discount after haggling - that still only adds up to a $5,500 discount, or basically a $2500 loss for me comparatively...
    09elantraowner: I absolutely agree... For folks who were buying > $20K vehicles, it might be a different story.... And there's always the *REMOTE* possibility that the dealer *MIGHT* sell a loss-leader at a heavily discounted price nearing that...

But to:
    a) Get *the* vehicle you want
    b) At that kind of discount
    c) Without having to sell your vehicle on your own (which may/may not be a significant burden)

There is no comparison...

Perhaps jfritsch believes the dealers when they say they'll take the low-ball offer to their manager and might be able to do something with it.... :)
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    No um... I think I was pretty clear a lot of cars the last 3-4 years have had august closeouts of 3-8k+ off msrp. M3, Civic, Elantra (about 3-4k) Sonata, Impala 5k-8k+ . (a Lot of ads for the list 24000 Impala ls for $17900, after the kindly 4000 govt check) The things usually sold in august for $14000-16000.

It's great if you got the Elantra for the usual 3k off -$4000 or so for the govt rebate, but many folks on other models aren't. By the time one assumes many could have easily got $1800 or more for their clunker in trade, it is a worse deal than they could have worked a month ago, with the std incentives.

In no way is it helping people into new cars who otherwise wouldn't be able to afford one. Many are paying the same as they would have without C4C, if not more.

Hee Hee, all this fuss over a teeny tiny 3 BILLION cobbled together program of no use. A pisstake. You need to talk TRILLION since last Sept to get anyones attention. And Federal deficits of a Trillion a year as far as the eye can see...

But wait... MORE spending on health entitlements for our congressional heroes to "Save" money.

I suggest you all get a large vehicle for your c4c deal. You may find yourself living in it in the coming years.

Good luck
    --jjf

09elantraowner: I absolutely agree... For folks who were buying > $20K vehicles, it might be a different story.... And there's always the *REMOTE* possibility that the dealer *MIGHT* sell a loss-leader at a heavily discounted price nearing that...

But to:
    a) Get *the* vehicle you want
    b) At that kind of discount
    c) Without having to sell your vehicle on your own (which may/may not be a significant burden)

There is no comparison...

Perhaps jfritsch believes the dealers when they say they'll take the low-ball offer to their manager and might be able to do something with it
    I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree. The sticker on my car was 16.2K and I paid 8.7k before TTL etc. That is a over 50% off the sticker, I don't care what kind of close out you find, you are not going to get that kind of a deal any other way. If I traded my clunker they may have given me 500-600. Private party I may have been able to squeeze $1000-$1200.
    jfritsch: looking over the deals people have posted here with C4C on their Elantras leads me to believe that it was a smashing success for all involved. I won't argue your point about $8K on things like a Chevy Impala but is it really an apples to apples comparison (mid-size vs compact, and an admitted $6-7K MSRP differential)?

Did the manufacturers take advantage of the equivalent of a Gov't subsidy in maintaining a profit margin they might otherwise lose? Quite possibly, particularly those NOT offering EOY drastic discounts as they normally would, but that wasn't the case with Hyundai (generally). However, I would say that both the manufacturers, AND the Hyundai buyers (at the very least) both took advantage of the subsidy and benefitted well...