Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• joem854joem854 Member Posts: 11
    Many idiots are paying more for many models than they have sold for the previous 3 summers.

I'd also have to disagree with you, jfritsch. I'm sure that some people didn't get the best deals possible, but I think that there were probably very few people who paid more for a new car with this program than they would have without the program. And those are the type of people who would never get a good deal on a car anyway no matter what the circumstances because they don't do any research and have no idea what they should be paying.

And for those people who had a clunker like mine that was practically worthless (97 Explorer with too many problems to list, would have been lucky to get $250 for it even selling it myself), this program was fantastic.

I get what you're saying that many people weren't getting as much of a savings as they think they were. But again, I really don't think anyone but a select few got worse deals than they would have gotten without the program. Most people probably got a pretty decent deal, and some people were able to get truly outstanding deals.
  • joegiantjoegiant Member Posts: 90
    I for one got a "truly outstanding deal" as you say. So much so that I have cash left over to apply to the Cash for Appliances Give-Away coming up this Fall. A new washer and dryer, underwritten by the federal government to "save energy", will fit perfectly into the BIG plan (game of life). Now how in the world my kids and grandkids will pay for this current government excess, no idea. Thinking when I get to that age, ol' grandpa will just not be collecting any Social Security nor will he be receiving any medical care to speak of as he will simply be deemed too expensive to repair. Nothing's left in the kitty Gramps. Sorry. Pay 'em now, pay 'em later. But for now, it's a new Elantra and an incredibly good price and a soon to be washer and dryer and a much reduced price.
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    You are uninformed. However if the elantra is one of the models (careful) people are getting the usual 3k off and an additional 4 or so that is really a good deal. 8-10k for a new 09 when an 08 wholesales used for about 10k is hard to beat.

Unfortunately, if you did this you are probably in the minority though. On the Civic forum some (in the majority -- non c4c buyers) left the market for a few weeks as a Civic lx selling over a month ago in the high 15000's (normal August price) was moving in many places for the high 16000's after the govt certificate. You want $15500 MINUS $4000? $11500 ? on the Civic? similar to the elantra? ---- Forggeddaboutit.

This is probably true for the Corolla and the Focus also, the other 2 most popular cars bought in the program. The Focus has been about a $5000 off msrp car in August for many years. I doubt if most c4c'ers even approached $7000 off. By the time one figures a regular trade may have netted them about $1500, many would have paid the same or more with the program than without.

Research is relative also as many who relied on Edmund's "TMV" (calculation-unknown) price on a new car over the years have left thousands on the table over what the car is actually frequently selling for in their area, sometimes verified by many messages for months reporting selling prices well below it.

It will be curious to see how busy the repo men are in 12 months or so with these "govt approved" purchases.

Good luck
    --jjf

Many idiots are paying more for many models than they have sold for the previous 3 summers.

I'd also have to disagree with you, jfritsch. I'm sure that some people didn't get the best deals possible, but I think that there were probably very few people who paid more for a new car with this program than they would have without the program. And those are the type of people who would never get a good deal on a car anyway no matter what the circumstances because they don't do any research and have no idea what they should be paying.
  • boomnhowerboomnhower Member Posts: 11
    Yes, some people are going to overpay on some models, that is where being a smart consumer comes in. I had originally wanted a Focus or a Fit but neither of them would play ball. Heck my local Hyundai dealer wouldn't work with me either. I ended up driving an hour to an honest dealer to get the deal I wanted. If people are dumb enough to pay the price then that is their own fault. Heck I have seen some reports of Toyota dealers putting a 5k "market adjustment" on Prius's and still not having any issues moving them.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    C4C ended on August 24, 2009.
  • 09elantraowner09elantraowner Member Posts: 18
    I'd have expected the Mod to jump to the defense of the Edmunds TMV calculation criteria by now...certainly have seen it for less of an offense.

I suspect that the TMV is an average of prices paid in the locality - not a listing of the lowest. I found the TMV to be a lower (thus "better" for the consumer) price than what Consumer Reports was suggesting. All CR did was give me an additional piece of info with which I was able to bargain below TMV.

jfritsch - I undestand your point about the program as an entirety - but this forum is about Elantras - so wouldn't you expect to find the counter arguments mostly citing those cars? The relative value of C4C really should've been a separate post as it's so broad in scope. However, as backy pointed out - it's basically moot since it's over...
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    I'm right here.. :)

You can find information about TMV here: TMV

Everyone is entitled to their opinion about it....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I'm right here.. :)

You can find information about TMV here: TMV

Everyone is entitled to their opinion about it....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    Apparently your opinion is so strong you posted it twice. :shades:
    That's what happens with slow computers... :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• 8sparkplugs8sparkplugs Member Posts: 111
    You also have to consider that the C4C money does count as income, and will be taxed come April 15. For some people that might not be much, but for others it could easily be over $1000.
  • zodiac711zodiac711 Member Posts: 18
    8sparkplugs:
    You also have to consider that the C4C money does count as income, and will be taxed come April 15. For some people that might not be much, but for others it could easily be over $1000

Huh? According to www.cars.gov/faq:
    Is the credit subject to being taxed as income to the consumers that participate in the program?
    NO. The CARS Act expressly provides that the credit is not income for the consumer.
    Definitely not taxed by the feds...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• boomnhowerboomnhower Member Posts: 11
    Now I can't wait to see what deals people are going to get without C4C. Lurkers, please post!
  • amazingjasonamazingjason Member Posts: 1
    On August 31st, I purchased a 2009 Hyundai Elantra GLS w/ the Popular Equipment Package and Carpeted Floor Mats for $14,900 before tax, title & registration. No additional dealer fees. I bought it at the Hyundai dealership in Long Island City, Queens, NYC and paid cash (no financing).

I came in with an ad they placed in the newspaper, and an internet quote I received from the Hyundai dealership in Manhattan ($13,500). I asked for a bottom-line price because I was ready to purchase, and I told her a story about how my wife (who was at work at the time) was set on the Corolla but that I wanted to convince her Elantra as a better value. She brought my papers to her manager and she came back saying that they could not sell it for $13,500 because it is a financing price. She said that the lowest price she could give me was $14,900.

I took her first offer because:
    1) It was August 31st and the $2,000 manufacturer's rebate was going to expire. Now I know dealers will frequently renew incentives, but I didn't want to take the risk.
    2) My wife needed a car by mid-September for work, so there wasn't much time left to get one. In addition, she (and I) are new-ish drivers who haven't been on the highway and we need time to practice (further limited by taking a vacation on Labor Day). I had been shopping for used cars in the $9k-$10k Corollas/Civics not including an extended warranty, but then I saw the Elantra deal and thought that it would be a small premium to get a brand new car for our first.
    3) The price was lower than my CarsDirect price, the Edmunds TMV and the KBB price.
    4) The saleswoman was extremely nice to us, didn't try to upsell us on any extended warranty or other features/options like Bluetooth (almost every other Elantra came with it), went above and beyond to show us every single feature in the car and literally explain everything about the car, the warranty, and also gave us advice on insurance. She didn't play any games (which I was nervous about since I've read so many horrible stories about them), came back with a reasonable price, promised us no additional fees...so I called my wife to get her approval, and we bought it.

Now I'm reading some of these deals on the forum and wondering if maybe I should be negotiated a little more. Like maybe I could have gotten it down to 14,500 or even 14,000. To be honest, if I was dealing with a pushier male salesperson, I might have and I can be pretty vicious. I actually had all this stuff I printed out from dealerrater.com and carbuyingtips.com that if anyone tried anything fishy, I would pull it out and recite stuff word for word in an insulting tone, lol. I wished that I would found out about this forum beforehand, maybe I could have used info from some of your deals...
  • evergreen2evergreen2 Member Posts: 9
    You probably could have gotten it lower. But, don't second guess yourself. In the long run $1,000 won't make that big of a difference. I paid more then I should have for my 2009 Elantra SE, but it's been a good car and it was the first new car I ever purchased. I didn't find this site until after I purchased my car in May.

Like you, I had the money to pay cash but chose not to. To make myself feel better about paying too much for the car, I financed the car through a credit union paying 2% per year financing charge. So far I've made about $500 in the last three months investing the money for the car into a conservative bond fund. It makes me feel better. In the long run, I'll make more money than I could have saved by bargaining harder.

But, I understand the stock market better than I do buying cars. Lesson learned, I will bargain harder next time. But, in the meantime, I'm going to enjoy my new ride. You should too. :)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is looking to speak to consumers who recently purchased a Hyundai. Please send your daytime phone number to ctalati@edmunds.com by Tuesday, September 8, 2009.
    Thanks,
    Chintan
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• januszkjanuszk Member Posts: 2
    I was quoted $17500 OTD price for 2010 Touring Auto with popular package. This also includes my trade in 95 Altima. Do you think its fair price or should I wait for rebates to start coming out?
  • georgebush1georgebush1 Member Posts: 22
    I checked the 2010 model today. I thought they were supposed to be $1800 below the 2009 model price (without the alloy wheels and with roof racks). Well ALL the 2010 models I looked at didnt have alloy wheels and only a few had roof racks AND they want more for the 2010 than the 2009. Get real Hyundai, if I have to pay $20,000 for the Touring, Id rather buy a Honda CR-V for that price. I was expecting to get a 2010, manual transmission for $15000 easy. I was blown away and laughed at the salesman when he said $20500. Not only that, but they cant locate a manual transmission. Same story when I looked for a 2009 model early this year. I have yet to see a manual.
  • januszkjanuszk Member Posts: 2
    I bought it today. 2010 Touring auto with popular package, bluetooth, floor mats, mudguards $17100 OTD with my trade in 95 Nissan Altima and Hyundai finance. I probably could get it lower a couple months from now if Hyundai comes up with some rebates but now it seems like a fair price. Thanks everyone for keeping this forum alive, it was really helpful.
    Well, the 2010 base Touring with a stick has an MSRP of $16,715 and invoice of $16,245. And that is a lot less than the starting price for 2009. There's no rebates yet, so $15k would be a really good deal for a 2010 right now. $20,500 is ridiculous, almost $3000 over list (if you were quoted on a base model with no options). You should broaden your search or just wait for the inventories to build and prices to drop, as they typically do around the end of the year.
  • chris207chris207 Member Posts: 5
    I'll volunteer my vehicle purchase info, maybe it will help others in my area.
    09/19/2009 Fresno, CA

I picked up a new 2009 Elantra GLS "Bare-Bones" (5spd Manual with no option package. No a/c, radio, cruise, vanity visors, nothing!) for $11,800 + TTL (i.e. the $11.8k computed from $13.8k less 2k rebate with no trade-in or other discounts). OTD was $13,374. Calculation is as follows: $13,800 - $2000 rebate + $1,243 (CA sales tax) + 55 doc fee + 29 electronic dmv filing fee + 160 license + 87 registration.

Considering asking price on the window was $14,820 (pfft) which already reflected the 2k rebate and the final sale was $11.8k I assume I did well -- but I'm open to your opinions.

Caveat: They were looking to dump this vehicle since they had two "bare bones" in stock that had been sitting for a LONG time on their lot. This particular vehicle is showing MANUF DATE NOV 08, MODEL YR 2009 and had 47 miles. There were significant (albeit very minor) little clear-coat scratches near the door handles which I assume is from a lot of test drives. The dealer documentation showed they initially received it back in Feb -- over 7 months ago! Isn't this a long time? It doesn't surprise me that nobody wanted a car without A/C in 100+ Fresno weather and without a radio. But I'll have it installed myself using the same vendors the dealers use in this area. I guess I'm only a little saddened that the beloved "New Car Smell" is only about half as powerful as the "Newer, Newest and Brand New!" cars on the lot.

What do you think?
    What I think is that I would have expected a significant discount off list, before rebate, for a car that had been made ten months ago, had been sitting since February, and didn't have proper equipment for the area. Also one that had been used as a demo. But I live in an area with 8 dealers within an 80 mile radius. You might not have that level of competition in Fresno.

Given the choice between the stripped Elantra for $11.8k or a used, well-equipped car with a certified manufacturer warranty, I would go for the used car. And that's before the additional costs for AC and radio.
    You make some good points. However, I knew the vehicle had been there a while but I couldn't know how long until after purchase (then they show the dealer "inspection checklist" that shows their purch date). I regret not looking at the Manuf Date under the hood before negotiating, but it probably wouldn't have made that big of an impact on me.

We have only 2 dealers in our immediate area (60 miles). The other dealer wouldn't even reply to my internet inquiries (of course I didn't tell this dealer that). If willing to travel 100 miles there are a bunch more. But I say this with the proper degree of self-humor (loathing?) that in general Fresnans do not drive far. We are spoiled (or lazy) about driving even though our roads and freeways are easy to navigate. A long work commute is 15 minutes and waiting through two red lights at the intersection is so detestable that most people just run the light 3-5 seconds after it turns red. So annoying.

>> Given the choice between the stripped Elantra for $11.8k or a used, well-equipped car with a certified manufacturer warranty
    That was the decision we've always made with our prior car purchases.
    My wife and I went back and forth for two months, doing research and identifying our own needs before we finally decided on a new Elantra. We wavered so much we just decided to stick to that decision and focus on not getting taken on the purchase side of it.

This dealer was pleasant to work with (relatively speaking of course) and definitely didn't play any obvious/obnoxious games. But even they used the "edmunds tmv is 12,300 and we can't go less than that". They hope you believe the 2k rebate is THEIR discount on the auto, so they are breaking even or losing money going lower than 12.3k (which incl rebate). Which of course is not true, they are getting 14.3k for it. And everyone in the back office is trained to tell you "wow what a great deal you are getting". I'm pretty hard nosed but it even made me lower my guard after hearing it a few times being there for 3 hours.

I was definitely on a high after buying it yesterday. But if others have input I'd appreciate hearing an honest opinion about where I landed on the numbers side. I can't tell if the TrueCar report is the base GLS or if the Edmunds price is the car sale price (before rebate).

Thanks for your input.
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    Q: What do they call a car with no A/C in Florida?

A: Scrap metal

--
    I went in to the dealer pre-approved from my local credit union. I knew my rate wasn't great (my Experian fico 718) but I settled at 5.49%. I told them my rate and the Finance office came back with 5.29% (showing my TransUnion fico at 740) and they assumed I would take it (looking shocked after I declined). Now a day later, papers signed and I'm home (but have yet to finalize and take them their check since my credit union was closed this weekend) they leave a message on my phone saying "Wait, we found a better rate for you at 4%".

Are there dealer kickbacks/profit on the financing? I assumed not but I'm wondering since THEIR first choice in financing was just barely under my pre-approved rate. My wife thinks its another game. Are we being too distrustful and should be happy they're trying to find better financing after the deal was essentially closed?
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    I agree with "backy" about the deal, re a used equipped rather than the new stripped.
    I also wonder about the financing deal? I think even 4% isn't the greatest. Sorry, don't mean to rain on your parade, but think you could really do better overall.

van
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    I also wonder about the financing deal? I think even 4% isn't the greatest.

Regarding the financing, I disagree. Getting 4% in this scenario is pretty good. Remember, those subsidized rates that manufacturers advertise (0%, 2.9%, etc.) almost never can be combined with a rebate. If he can swing a 4% rate on top of the rebate he already received, things are looking up. I'd guess the dealer gets some kind of kick back for setting up the financing, but if the customer ends up paying less interest overall, then everybody wins.

To the buyer, I think it would be worth looking into. Just be sure to pay attention to the overall interest paid before sining anything...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

Thank you for replying.

The new financing is directly via Hyundai. I know you can get very different rates depending on which credit reporting agency the banking institution chooses. In my case, if the Hyundai is choosing TransUnion my credit rating is 36 points higher -- crossing the critical 720 mark. It may be the factor?

Just be sure to pay attention to the overall interest paid before sining anything...
    Thanks for the warning -- I verified the new numbers appear accurate, it's going to save well over $300 over life of the loan with this rate.

I guess my question was: are there kickbacks to using one bank vs. another, ie. a more dealer-friendly financeer that knows they only have to barely beat 5.49 -- rather than offering the lowest rate they could? And therefore give a bigger finders fee to the dealer?

Oh well, I guess it's just a question of whether they WERE originally "playing games" to try to get the most $$$. Things are better now.
    Sorry, don't mean to rain on your parade, but think you could really do better overall.

That's OK I have pretty thick skin and can take criticism. Mostly because I'm my own worst critic -- it's been raining on my parade since I came home with the vehicle. Buyers remorse and all. I knew when I posted (and so should anyone else) I put myself out there for criticism. Worst case, it will help someone else with their purchase when bargaining.

However, I would appreciate a more direct answer. It wasn't an option for me to buy used-equipped, that's more of a subjective personal decision rather than a "mistake" in my purchase. This way I can spend the extra 1750 installing the options I would like -- even if I don't get bulk discount having it pre-equipped from the manufacturer. Again I'm willing to pay a bit more to customize as I'd like.

TrueCar is showing Great Price at 11,770 and Good Price12,240.
    Edmunds is showing Customer Cash Adjusted True Market Value $12,279.
    Both do include the rebate in the price adjustment.

Given that, what's your opinion about how much a decent deal would be for a GLS manual w/out options? Let's assume the dealer is willing to do "moderate" amount of negotiating?

11,000?
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    It is difficult to know the best way to go on a vehicle like this that has been on the lot as long as it has, but my thinking is that the dealer should have been able to go with a better price. Remember you are dealing with a "stripped" model which would normally have less demand, and the fact they have had it this long means they may already be paying extra each month for it still being in stock. You obviously have looked around your area and know what would be the most reasonable way for you to go on this, or any other deal. I live in Florida, and our prices are different, so I guess I really shouldn't be trying to advise you except to say that I personally would have to think very hard before I would take that deal. I hope you are well pleased with whatever your decision ends up being. I love my 2006 Sonata LX, in everyway but the mileage. I am still on the low side, regardless of techniques, tricks, etc..
    Van
  • xiaomanxiaoman Member Posts: 8
    2010 Elantra Touring, manual, no other options. OTD $15000. I live in northern virginia. How much lower can I possible get? Many thanks.
  • thailuxthailux Member Posts: 7
    What do you guys think?

MSRP - 20935
    OTD (Including 7% tax and title) - 20071

No money out of pocket.
    No trade.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter is looking to see if you were looking to purchase a Toyota or Honda vehicle but after doing some comparison shopping, purchase a Hyundai or Kia because of price/value . Please send your daytime phone number to ctalati@edmunds.com by Friday, October 9, 2009.
  • j_smooth2004j_smooth2004 Member Posts: 1
    So I just bought a 2009 Elantra GLS automatic with all the options minus sunroof. I want to here some opions on the deal I recieved. I paid 15,780 OTD (TTL). Do you think that was a good price for this car.
  • ke72spnke72spn Member Posts: 12
    We just today pruchased and got a great deal from a dealer on the South Side of Richmond, VA.

Sale Price $17000, $2000 rebate

We went in approved from Capital One at 4.42 and they were able to approve Chase Auto Finance at 3.79 w/gap insurance.

Anyone in Central Virginia considering an 09 Elantra should consider this dealer since they have 100 plus remaining.
  • preppyladynjpreppyladynj Member Posts: 14
    Interested in the 09 Elantra. Located in the NYC Metro area. Does anyone know of a dealership that still have 09's? Richmond, VA is bit of a drive... :confuse:
  • aksebnaksebn Member Posts: 15
    Just purchased a 2009 hynudai elantra gls pzev with popular equipment package, mud guards, floor mats, cargo tray, and blue tooth for $13,399 + tax tiltle plates for a total of $14,505. msrp was $18,095. no trade. what do you guys think was this a good deal??
  • mikedizzel8mikedizzel8 Member Posts: 1
    In Maryland I got a 2008 Hyundai Elantra Se Prz automatic , 33,000 miles for 13,800. They paid off my $800 Lease , put in a remote start and 4 year premium warranty. I'm pretty sure you can get a better price or some add ins for a manual at 14,900. I went a Koons ford that needed to meet a quota on cars sold so I'd look for a used dealership that isn't doin good business right now and and have them make you a good deal for an Elantra.

Mike
  • 4elantra4elantra Member Posts: 10
    bought 2009 in June, Brad Benson, NJ for under slightly under $15,000 OTD (include all taxes & MV fees), included ac, cruise, power windows, mats, cargo net..)
  • sachin24ksachin24k Member Posts: 31
    Great price looks like !!!

Can you please give a break up of charges excluding taxes and reg fees (varies from state to state, I am in LA) and which show room and where details? so I can negotiate with dealers here?

Thanks
  • sachin24ksachin24k Member Posts: 31
    I got an offer for $13800 + taxes and Fees for GLS with power package and sun roof. I dont intend to pay any fees. What do you guys think about the price??
    2009 hyndai elantra gls pzev

the msrp was $15,120.00
    popular equipment package $1,750.00
    rear cargo tray $70.00
    mudguards $85.00
    carpeted floor mats $95.00
    blue tooth $325.00
    inland freight and handling $720

total price $18,095 befor negotiating ( no trade was involved

i paid $13,399 + tax,title and registration. total price out the door $14,505
  • shriram1shriram1 Member Posts: 2
    This offer look very good.
    Did you buy it?

Are you sure that it is 2010 Elantra? I can understand that they can give 2009 at this price. I am surprised that they are giving 2010 elantra.

Can you give details of the dealer?
  • ashgautamashgautam Member Posts: 5
    Looks like a great deal. Was a this Manual or automatic transmission?
    thanks
  • ashgautamashgautam Member Posts: 5
    Sachin, was it for manual or automatic?
    thanks
    automatic. so far i am very happy with the car.
  • tommieztommiez Member Posts: 11
    Just for my own information - when you say you got a great deal on a new Elentra, did you buy a 2009 or a 2010? Thanks for the feedback.
    2009 they wouldnt deal much on the 2010 said there was not very little rebate money.
  • tommieztommiez Member Posts: 11
    Yes, I agree - that is a good deal even for a 2009. The only problem about the 2009's is that they're very scarce and difficult to find since the Clunker program and if you want a certain color and trim - it's almost impossible. Maybe Hyundai will extend the $2000 rebates to the 2010 in the spring when it becomes clear to them that in this economy you need incentives..