Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• marlenelinmarlenelin Member Posts: 87
    Came home with a new 2011 Elantra GLS with preferred package in Bronze last night. Cost was $16,500 which included destination. They gave me $12,200 on a trade for my 2009 Touring. Out the door price after the trade with tax was $5,150. It was a harrowing experience. Seven hours at the dealership. I tore up two contracts until they finally worked the numbers the way they promised. It's amazing how a car they quoted me $16,500 on could end up over $1,500 more when they tack on destination, document fees, and etching. I guess they thought since I was a woman, purchasing without her husband present, they could fool me. At the end, the manager said I was too smart, and asked if I wanted to work there. I said no way. Everyone should stay away from this dealer. They are in central Jersey and if you email me I will be happy to give you the name. I had bought my other two Elantras there and swore I wouldn't go back, but somehow they can beat everyone else's prices if you are very alert and count every penny they are charging you. Hope I made the right decision. Hubby isn't talking to me now. He said there was nothing wrong with the Touring. I just wasn't comfortable with the bumpy ride.
  • bigdogbitubigdogbitu Member Posts: 39
    Congrats on your new Elantra!

I have the same color w/navi! You will be very happy with it! We spent about 2 1/2 hours with no trade and all cash. We started $1000 below invoice but ended up with a fair about $500 below invoice. Most folks avoid the car buying experience like the plague!

No real complaints about our dealer other than the usual haggling!
    Glad your experience was better than mine. We have 3 garmin units so I didn't need nav. I first saw the bronze with the beige interior in the Ltd version and hated the interior color. It seemed to be more of a bright golden color. In the GLS though, it looks much prettier. The upholstery is not nearly as bright as the leather of the ltd. I love my 2008 Elantra SE that my college aged daughter drives, so I suspect I will love this one, Always felt like my body was jolted around in the Touring. Looking forward to the wonderful gas mileage.
  • norm78norm78 Member Posts: 5
    Working on a 11 Elantra GLS w/ automatic in black w/ grey interior, preferred equipement package, and ipod cable. Dealer in Northeast Ohio quoted 17400. Tax is 1175. Doc fees 285. Total out the door would be 18860. Still a little more than I'd like to pay, but he's the lowest in the area and not budging on price. Any advice?

Has anyone ever heard of a dealer throwing in a lifetime subscritpion to the best of SiriusXM satellite radio to get a deal done? I've put that idea out there to them.
  • slee_stackslee_stack Member Posts: 28
    Have you checked truecar.com to see what the price is from competing dealers? My closest dealer's quote is $80-100 less NET than your dealer (all fees incl). I am only exploring right now though, not haggling.

truecar shows a NET $500 savings at a dealer a few hours away from me.
    Truecar.com shows same model/package for 17519, but last week the same model/package was 17117. Does anyone know how often they update their info or what the rhyme and reason is to that site?
    Do you feel like traveling to Northern New Jersey? Towne Hyundai is offering the same vehicle for $16,500 through their internet department (Sean). They are a very well respected family owned dealership. I'm sorry that I didn't pay a few more dollars and get my car there and avoid the 8 hour ordeal at another dealership.
    Thanks!

Glad to get another opinion about getting a great deal!
    That's actually pretty tempting, I just wish a dealer here would be willing to go that low. I'm kind of dumbfounded by how a dealer in NJ will go down to 16500, but a dealer in OH will only go 17400, on the exact same veh. Is it possible the dealer in OH had to purchase the car from the manufacture at a higher price, hence the price they pass to the customer?
    I suppose that is possible. The larger dealers who sell more volume get the cars at discounted prices. I recommend Towne Hyundai's ( Denville, NJ) internet dept. very highly. I got the same deal for my friend there and she is doing it there with a lease. That $16,500 price also includes the preferred package. Believe me, saving $200 at Brad Benson's was not worth the aggravation and the stress. The experience was so awful where I bought my car, that it will take a while for me to put it behind me, so that I can enjoy my new car. You should put in a request through Towne's website to their internet department for a price quote. Are you trading a vehicle? If so, you could drive it to them, and take the new car home. That is what my friend is doing.
  • crowheartcrowheart Member Posts: 36
    Maybe I missed something here, but do you have the manual or automatic trans? 16,500 would make me think you have the manual.

What kind of gas mileage have you been getting? When is this car going to be crash tested?
    I have the auto with preferred package,wheel locks and ipod cable.
    Don't know the gas mileage yet as I have only 64 miles on the car thus far. Brought it home Tuesday night and then we had the snow storm Tuesday into Wed. I don't know when it will be crash tested. I do know it has an extremely smooth ride.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,966
    This is the exact model I hope the wife will get in 2012 but in the titanium color...that would be sweet! :)

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• drew11mdrew11m Guest Posts: 85
    So far in mostly mixed driving I've been getting around 30-31 in my new Limited. But that is letting the car warm up in the mornings before going, since its freaking cold here.

I have done mileage test on 35 miles of highway driving, and it got 40mpg. The overall MPG will probably improve once it warms up outside and i learn how to properly drive the engine for the most efficiency.
    Ive been getting about 29 to 30 mpg in mixed driving. We did take one trip of mostly highway driving and got only 32 mpg. I have about 500 miles on the Elantra now, so I hope the gas mileage improves as I put more mileage on it. Hubby was going about 65 to 70 on the highway trip. Other than the gas mileage (I traded my 2009 Touring that got around 28 using the excuse to my husband that the 2011 sedan would get better gas mileage) I love the way the car rides So smooth.
  • pauljakobpauljakob Member Posts: 6
    Marlenelin that is a great price!
    The dealership in denville... was that quote for the GLS automatic?
    Im getting about the same range now as well.

I was reading the Washington Post online auto chat and one thing was discussed that the winter gas is being cut more with ethanol so cars tend to get worse gas mileage across the board for all types of car. Not sure if that is so, but would be interesting if it was, and make sense

But happy with the car so far. glad to hear you are as well
    I mentioned that to my husband who has been getting on me about the gas mileage. He said that oil companies are not allowed to put more than 10% ethanol in the gas since many cars can't handle it. On another matter, I was coming out of the grocery store yesterday, and I noticed a man looking over my car. He was parked next to me. When i walked up to my car, he said wow, that is so much nicer looking than the Sonata. Apparently, he had been interested in the Sonata. He asked to look at the trunk and was amazed that it was as big as it is. He asked if I would mind telling him what I paid for it. He was shocked when I told him $16,500. I gave him the name of the dealer, and he seemed very interested in getting the Elantra instead of the Sonata.
    I pass our local dealer when I leave our development & notice that the back lot seems to have different color Elantra models every few days...probably selling them as this dealer is pretty high in sales for the state of Florida. A good sign for Hyundai.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Have quote for $13,795 +TTL for 2010 automatic with sunroof. This is including the financing incentive from Hyundai.

What do you think about the price? Good, great, or keep shopping?
    I would love to find out what dealer that is. How could i find that out? shoot me an email with the name please!
    -paul
    jakob.arvid.m@gmail.com
  • beezer86beezer86 Member Posts: 13
    I just picked up an 11 Elantra black/gray auto, pref pkg, mats and can't believe how nice a car you can get for such a cheap price. In Central Jersey I shopped at Brad Benson - they would not give a price and were completely arrogant and high pressured on 2 phone calls to them, Lester Glenn - gave me a good price and were polite on the phone but bait and switch when I went there ($17,400), Global with Costco pricing was $17,300 - would not go lower and the best BY FAR was Sean C. at Towne Hyundai in Denville for $16,500 +tt. Not sure if the end of the month had anything to do with it but I will refer everyone I know to him - low pressure, up front with all costs. Email me if you have any questions owassa at yahoo dot com.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    If you bought a new small car in January, a reporter wants to talk with you. Please email pr@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information and a few words about your new car and your trade-in, if you had one.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Hello Brrzer86 thanks for the info.
    I would love to get some more info from ya.
    shoot me an email at jakob.arvid.m at gmail dot com.

thanks
  • forcelessyodaforcelessyoda Member Posts: 2
    Wow, I am starting to feel like i Got Royally screwed when I bought mine. Maybe it was stock issue in my area.
    Either way, I live in the Twin Cities in Minnesota. The lowest anyone would go for a GLS, preferred option was 17900. Only 500 hundred off! I purchased it late Dec. a few days after X-mas. At the time I purchased mine, it had only been in dealerships for 10 days and stock was down to only 2-3 per dealership with a couple sold out all together.
    I am very happy with the car so far. Gas mileage wise, if I drive freeway only, I have gotten as high as 45mpg, however there is tons of snow and even worse rush hour, so I am averaging only 32mpg. Still better then my old one which in the winter avg. about 24 in the winter.
    I could not be happier with my purchase, but feel a bit bummed out that I couldn't get the kind of deal everyone else is getting or has gotten.
    You probably got the best deal in your area.

We bought our limited with navi just after Christmas. Supplies were tight but we still got a good deal about $500 below invoice. Still have not seen any 2011 Elantras on the road yet in our area.
  • forcelessyodaforcelessyoda Member Posts: 2
    Update.... According to motor trend, I paid avg for my area so far. Knowing that does not make me feel so bad about not getting the SUPER discounts that some have been getting.
  • jtuongjtuong Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2011
    I'd just made my first purchase of a car in Manassas, VA - Feb 01. It's a showroom car with only 8 miles on it, which also includes Hyundai's pinstripe. Was wondering if I ended up good deal or had been ripped off. Greatly appreciated if I could get your opinion, thanks.

MSRP: $19,980
    Sticker Price: $20,795

Sale Price: $18,935
    Out the Door: $20,000
    Best deal I have heard of so far!
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    the invoice price for a 2011 elantra gls with auto and the prefered package with hair-pod cable is $15,990.00..so your 16,500.00 that you paid is about right depending on the area as well also....
    Best deal I've seen. I paid 19500 for the limited before tax/ tag, so I'd say nicely done
  • newhartfordnewhartford Member Posts: 49
    Interesting - Edmunds says $17,739 for the invoice (w/o Ipod cable). That is quite a discrepancy.
  • mrdinmnmrdinmn Member Posts: 9
    forcelessyoda, how is the snow/ice traction on the 11 Elantra with OEM tires? I'm also in the Twin Cities and thinking of buying one, but I know several previous generation Elantra owners who were so alarmed by lack of traction that they invested in snow tires & rims...
  • foogsfoogs Member Posts: 2
    2011 Elantra Limited with floor mats and iPod cable

MSRP: 20,830
    Invoice: 20,218
    Quoted: 18,218

Also two years of service (oil changes & tire rotations) no additional charge

$0 Down - 391/mo for 60 mo @ 3.9%
    $0 Down - 336/mo for 72 mo @ 4.25%

What does everyone think? I'm thinking I might pull the trigger this weekend.
    The total cost is pretty damn good. Dealers are willig to
    Deal more now than in december. I paid 19500 for my limited, so it seems good
    Not sure on the financing part though.

What color and where are you at??
  • foogsfoogs Member Posts: 2
    Thinking about white and I'm in NJ. Maxon Hyundai on Rt. 22 in Union. The financing checks out. I came up with the same figures as they did. It would be $0 up front, so everything would be rolled into the payments. I don't know if I should push my luck and try to get something else thrown in or if the deal is sweet enough as is.
    cant hurt to ask another dealer or two in the area if they can beat it, but for a new model year 2K under invoice,seems pretty good. (of course im jealous, i paid more)
    We all paid more especially if the car was purchased in December. Mine was $21,500 for a limited with navi but that was good in December for a cash sale. Terms are a bit different if financing and or a trade is involved. Prices are loosening up now!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporters seeks to interview a recent car buyer who opted for an Elantra or Cruze after considering Corolla. Please email pr@edmunds.com by Monday, February 14, 2011 with your daytime contact information and a few words about your decision.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• james5575james5575 Member Posts: 1
    When asked for a specific color, I'm told it cannot be ordered. Instead it would have to be acquired from another dealer and driven over to their dealer. ( If you don't mind a new car w/ 50-100 miles
  • markjnewmarkjnew Member Posts: 1
    That seems like a fantastic price. Did you negotiate yourself or go through a buying service, internet sales, etc.? Can you tell us what state and/or city this deal was in?
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    just recieved a internet quote from my local hyundai dealer for a 2011 elantra gls with auto,prefered pack,and hair-pod cable.msrp is $18,200.00...the quote is for $17,900.00 which is way too much when you consider that the edmunds invoice price for this car with these options is $15,900.00......i'll look elsewhere....
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Not sure what you were looking at, but when I calculate Edmund's pricing for the 2011 GLS with auto, preferred package, and iPod cable, it shows the invoice at $17,766, and MSRP at $18,385. But I agree, $17,900 is not a very good deal, considering competitive cars like the Sentra 2.0S can be had for thousands off list right now.
  • supersize1supersize1 Member Posts: 10
    Went to Truecar.com based on another posters recommendation. Got all the numbers I need to be armed with. Scheduled an appointment with the local dealership. Also submitted info to truecar as they had a confirmed dealer quote me for 19571 without any haggling, which seemed to be a good price range to expect.

Local dealership showed a internet msrp of 20800. On site sales agent in the 4 square box started it at 20845...... typical pressure sales crap. Got down to it, showed him my confirmed quote from the dealership 125 miles away. Twice did the manager walk. Final they were willing to move was 20500.....oh and a they really wanted my buisness.... 2 hours of wasted time later. Called up the truecar.com connected dealer. We wanted white limited with black interior. Couldn't find it anywhere, so we placed a order as we can wait. Local dealer even bloated the offer further by saying they found a white with grey interior limited in WI but they didn't want a dealer trade so I'd have to foot the 800 destination fee as well.

The fact that I know the local dealer is selling the limited at 20845 and people are buying them for that is sad! Local dealer was sketcy and a pain. Dealership on the other side of the state had a sale in 10 minutes, all with no haggling, me getting a good deal, and them making easy money. Found out that there may not be a ability to get the white with grey interior? Anyone to confirm that? Either way I'm happy, and would expect that the local dealer was lying about white with grey interior as he lied about everything else.

Between the truecar.com site info and reading the sales person exposed thing, I felt well armed and safe dealing with the pressure sales place. Eagerly awaiting my car!
    Congrats on your new Elantra.

I had a similar experience with the local dealer nearest to me honoring my USAA discount rate. They pulled the whole 4-square rate, walk to the manager, comes back suddenly 700 higher with "Great rate" written on it. Wanted me to sign a blank contract, wanted me to sign to get end of year "special". "If you don't sign today, this price will never be available again." Um yeah laughed at him for that one.

In the end, called over to another dealer, told them I had a USAA pricing, which they then beat, and had my Indigo Blue Pearl Limited. After dealing with the local high-pressure sales dealer, felt really good to sign with the smaller family-style dealer and get a way better price.

Way to go sticking to your guns and getting the right price.!
  • maggieflmaggiefl Member Posts: 2
    In central Fla myself and I cannot find any Elantra Limiteds (or any trim for that matter) at the dealerships. Care to share which dealer you are referring to as to having Elantras on the lot? I'm ready to buy the car.
  • errdisableerrdisable Member Posts: 1
    Likewise - I can't find any dealers in FL with 2011 Elantra's in any trim.
    Have seen a blue one in the back for about two weeks now, not sure if it's a Limited or a GLS. We bought an Accent there a couple years back & got the price we felt was very fair for our middle girl. Kelly is the internet lady, give her a shout. Use my name if you want though she might not remember us by now. We were too far apart on a 2009 Elantra for our oldest girl though, but knew with time, they'd have caved.

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

• maggieflmaggiefl Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, Sandman. I went to their website and they do not have limiteds. I get so frustrating spending countless hours online trying to find accurate listings. List of options are not accurate, colors are not always specified correctly...and dealers wonder why buyers are frustrated.

Hear me, dealers? you have people wanting to buy cars, so make your websites friendly. None of that "call for pricing" gimmicks either. Internet depts are lacking in accurate details in listings. For instance: what's the difference in pricing when there is no variations in the options listed?