Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• 07740774 Member Posts: 8
    Ten...Elantra trade in question is a 2010, not 2011.
    BUYERS are setting the market, not sellers.
    If one doesn't like price for Elantra, one may wait or buy another brand. No one is forcing buyers to pay MSRP or more for Elantras. Buyers choose to pay those amounts.
    No obligation to wait forever for unit to arrive.....
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    typo, should have been 2010.
  • drivmywifecrzydrivmywifecrzy Member Posts: 61
    dealer would not budge from this price with the ADM...salesman said that this is a dream car right now and that i have to pay for that dream.....what a [non-permissible content removed]...

I love this. If I was a dealer I would do this too. Think about it. High demand allows them to sell at a premium.

If you are buying one of these because you have to have a car today, then your outta luck, otherwise just wait the market out. Its a freakin car, not life or death.
  • lcw1lcw1 Member Posts: 36
    Steve:All Orlando dealers are mighty proud of their Elantras. Can't blame them since plenty of buyers are taking the dive. Your best bet is to contact the St Augustine , Jacksonville or some of the dealers on the West cost.
    It is far better to get an Internet deal than visiting the dealers in person.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    Are you located in Florida? If so, TrueCar.com shows a 'Certified Dealer' that is located 48.6 miles from Jacksonville who is selling the Elantras for 3-4% below MSRP. It's not much of a discount, but at least it's something less than MSRP!
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • telephonytelephony Member Posts: 8
    Hey All,

Just got word a couple days ago that Hyundai has ceased production of 2011 Elantras in an effort to switch production to the 2012 model.

Below is the release information:

Hyundai Motor America is pleased to announce the release of the 2012MY Hyundai Elantra. The 2012MY Elantra is rated among the highest in residual value according to ALG, continuing its strong resale performance from the 2011MY when it won the ALG Residual Value Award for the Compact Car segment. The Elantra also continues to deliver 40 MPG highway standard; no other competitor offers 40 MPG highway for all trim levels. Elantra also delivers “class-above” interior roominess. Elantra is categorized by the EPA as a mid-size car rather than a compact car like Civic or Corolla. With 40 MPG highway, “class-above” interior roominess, and a starting price of $15,195, the 2012MY Elantra delivers exceptional value.
    Fuel economy is the most important purchase reason for the compact segment, especially with gas prices exceeding $4 per gallon in many areas of the U.S. To deliver better fuel economy, all 2012 Elantra automatic transmissions are equipped with an Active Eco System to improve real world fuel economy. The Active Eco System modifies engine and transmission control for improved fuel economy by smoothing out throttle responses. By selecting the Active Eco button, drivers can realize up to a seven percent increase in real-world fuel economy.
    NEW EQUIPMENT HIGHLIGHTS FOR 2012MY
    • Active Eco System is standard on all Elantra automatic transmissions to improve
    real world fuel economy up to 7%
    • Front fog lights added to the GLS Preferred Package to enhance the front
    exterior appearance
    • The GLS Preferred model adds a passenger side sunvisor extension to complement the
    driver side
    • The Limited badge was redesigned for better visibility
    • The horn sound was improved to sound more prominent on all trim levels
    Standard and Optional Features
    GLS Manual Transmission
    The Elantra GLS M/T MSRP is priced at $15,195, excluding $760 freight, and includes the following standard features:
    1.8L Nu MPI 4-cylinder engine
    6-speed manual transmission
    15-inch steel wheels with full wheel covers and P195/65R15 tires
    Motor Driven Power Steering (MDPS)
    Advanced dual front airbags with Occupant Classification System (OCS), front seat-mounted side-impact airbags, and roof-mounted side-curtain airbags
    Vehicle Stability Management (VSM), Electronic Stability Control (ESC) and Traction Control System (TCS)
    Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Brake Assist, Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), 4-wheel disc brakes, and Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
    Adjustable head restraints for all seating positions
    Daytime running lights
    AM/FM/XM® Satellite Radio/CD/MP3 audio system with 6 speakers and iPod®/USB auxiliary input jacks
    A/C prep package
    Trip computer =i>Power windows with driver’s auto-down, power door locks, dual heated power outside mirrors, and remote keyless entry system with alarm
    Tilt steering wheel
    Front 2-speed intermittent wipers
    Map lights with sunglass holder, dome lamp and cargo area light
    6-way adjustable driver’s seat including height adjustment
    Front passenger seatback pocket, front and rear door map pockets
    Center console with storage compartment and armrest
    Lower multi-box with cover
    60/40 split fold-down rear seatback & rear center armrest with cupholders
    Tinted glass
    Bodycolor door handles and mirrors
    Rear defroster
    Trunk lid inner cover
    GLS M/T Options:
    GLS Comfort Package – M/T only ($1,250 MSRP):
    Air conditioning
    Cruise control
    Telescopic steering wheel
    Solar glass
    Windshield shade band
    16-inch steel wheels with full wheel covers and P205/55R16 tires
    GLS Automatic Transmission
    The Elantra GLS A/T MSRP is priced at $17,445, excluding $760 freight, and includes the GLS manual transmission content plus the following:
    6-speed automatic transmission with SHIFTRONIC®
    Active Eco System
    16-inch steel wheels with full wheel covers and P205/55R16 tires
    Air conditioning
    Cruise control
    Telescopic steering wheel
    Solar glass
    Windshield shade band
    GLS A/T Options:
    GLS Preferred Package – A/T only ($600 MSRP):
    16-inch alloy wheels
    Steering wheel audio controls
    Bluetooth® hands-free phone system with Voice Recognition
    Fog lights
    Cloth insert door trim
    Sliding center armrest
    Illuminated vanity mirrors with extensions
    Illuminated ignition

Limited
    Limited with standard 6-speed automatic starts at $20,445, excluding $760 freight, and includes all the GLS Preferred Package plus the following:
    17-inch alloy wheels with P215/45R17 tires
    Power tilt-and-slide sunroof
    One touch up drivers window
    Leather wrapped steering wheel and shift knob
    Leather seating surfaces
    Heated front and rear seats
    Black chrome grille
    Side repeater mirrors
    Limited badge =ul>

Limited Options
    Technology Package ($2,100 MSRP):
    Navigation system with 7-inch screen
    Rearview camera
    360-watt premium audio with external amplifier
    Automatic headlamps
    Proximity key entry with electronic
    push button start =i>Immobilizer
    Model
    Code Model Engine Transmission MSRP
    -------- --------------- ------------ -------------------------- --------
    45413F45 Elantra GLS 1.8L 4-cyl. 6-Speed M/T $15,195
    45412F45 Elantra GLS 1.8L 4-cyl. 6-Speed A/T w/ SHIFTRONIC® $17,445
    45412F4P Elantra GLS 1.8L 4-cyl. 6-Speed A/T w/ SHIFTRONIC® $17,445
    45442F45 Elantra Limited 1.8L 4-cyl. 6-Speed A/T w/ SHIFTRONIC® $20,445
    45442F4P Elantra Limited 1.8L 4-cyl. 6-Speed A/T w/ SHIFTRONIC® $20,445
    -------- --------------- ------------ -------------------------- --------
    Model codes ending in “P” indicate PZEV model
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I wonder if one reason the 2012 Elantra was moved up was to better justify the approximate $450 price increase? ("It's new and improved, so we bumped the price up a little.")
  • supersize1supersize1 Member Posts: 10
    Just drove home our new 2011 Hyundai Elantra Limited with Nav. The car is very sharp! I drove my fathers Chevy Cruze LTZ to the dealership from across the state we average a speed of 75 and got a avg mpg of 33.1. After seeing the Elantra he is bummed he bought his Cruze! Dealership gave me a wonderful price! Overall thrilled to finally get the car. Drive home with varying 70-80 and I had 37 that was on the first 100 break in miles. That is pure bliss!
  • bigdogbitubigdogbitu Member Posts: 39
    I thought the same!
  • miranda200miranda200 Member Posts: 15
    Glad you like your new Elantra - me too! So - what was the "great price"?
  • peace5419peace5419 Member Posts: 6
    thank you so much for the information. i have been looking for a manual 2011 elantra since the beginning of april. i had even called hyundai directly several times with no explanation. did they say when they would be showing up in dealers?
  • supersize1supersize1 Member Posts: 10
    We got a price of 23,1xx OTD that is with the 6% sales tax and all fee's. For the limited with Nav. We got quoted this price almost 3 months ago. So as many can see the pricing has changed due to demands.

We are very happy with the car and the price. It was a easy choice compared to the other cars in the range.
  • gauravggauravg Member Posts: 3
    Bought a 2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS white with beige/camel interior auto with preferred and navigation package including ipod cable, carpeted floor mats and wheel locks OTD price 21188$. Car price including all options 18950$ plus documentation fees NJ 349$, window etching 299$, nj dmv fees 249$, NJ tax 1340.43$. Dealer wont reduce the doc and window etching fees, some dealers ran out of stock, only reds and sky blue colors were left with some dealers.
    I tested the 2011 models on PRIUS II, COROLLA LE and FORD Focus 2012 before settling on the Elantra. I liked the interior space, ride and price with package on Elantra 2011.
  • idoc2idoc2 Member Posts: 78
    edited May 2011
    No deals here. Just took delivery from Brass City Hyundai in CT of a 2011 Elantra GLS with Preffered package and the typical goodies like floor mats and iPod cable. Supply is tight and I had to waite about 3 weeks after putting down $500 to get mine. Paid full sticker plus all the various fees (Tax, registration, delivery, etc). About $20,500 OTD. Keeping in mind Consumer Reports #1 rated small sedan with an excellent warranty its still a good deal compaired to the competition (Civic, Corolla, Cruze, Mazda 3 etc). Very nice little car (my other car is a 328xi - see me in the BMW forums). No regrets. The dealer/salesman was very professional. Easy transaction, no games at closing.
  • drew11mdrew11m Guest Posts: 85
    Our other car is a 328xi 2008. I am curious as to your preferences driving either car. When I drive my Elantra after driving the wife's BMW, i really notice the power and torque difference.

Why did you choose the Elantra as the 2nd car?
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    you got screwed royally by paying full msrp..no car is worth paying full msrp..and by the way,you can deduct about 5000 dollars right off the bat of resale value as soon as you drove the car off the dealers lot..don't let what you read about elantra's haveing good resale value fool you..
    ...no car is worth paying full msrp...

I read yesterday that the average transaction price for the Prius last month was MORE than MSRP. It's a seller's market for small, fuel efficient cars these days. Bad times for anyone in the market for such a car right now.

ANY new car depreciates the moment it's driven off the lot. I doubt the Elantra will lose $5000 immediately, though. My 2004 has lost $6500 in value over its 7-year lifetime--or roughly 1/2 its purchase price.

You're acting as if it were YOUR money that was spent on the Elantra. :confuse:
  • weesa20weesa20 Member Posts: 4
    Having first problem with Elantra at 37600 miles- CD player is defective and radio screen freezes. We have the comprehensive warranty from First Extended Service Corp which covers it being taken car eof. Repairing dealership is advising that the radio should be replaced, First Extended Service Corp says that they will only pay for repair- replacement would take 30 minutes of actual work, repairing will take 3-5 DAYS because they need to send the radio to AZ to be repaired. Selling dealership (Bob Dunn) COULD direct First Extended Service Corp to replace the radio but are choosing not to. They expect us to drive the car for 3-5 days without a radio and with a hole in the dash or to have the repairing dealership "put something in there"...I'm obviously not happy with this solution but Rick Powell the General Manager at Bob Dunn doesn't care- I would advice STRONGLY to avoid any warranty even remotely associated with First Extended Service Corp and to avoid buying from Bob Dunn in Greensboro NC. It turns out that First Extended is just a front business for Bob Dunn with the sole purpose of directing anger from the dealer and saving the dealer money. Per Rick Powell the General Manager at Bob Dunn "we are doing what we have to by law"- doesn't matter to them if it is right or not apparently... :mad:
  • knocker81knocker81 Member Posts: 44
    Up here in NY area,
    I used Consumer Reports and they referred me to 3 dealers, I got a quote from Wayne Hyundai of 17,532 for 2011 Elantra. Preferred pkg and mats. Msrp 18,590. Does anyone think this is a good deal? Dealer doc fee is $399
  • sockerssockers Member Posts: 4
    The doc fee is high. In York they have no limit wheras in some other states there is a limit. In Michigan, the max doc fee is $190. Did you check the TMV price on Edmunds? If not you should. Perhaps you can offer $16,900 & see if you can get the dealer to come down to at least $17,200 or talk to the dealer about the doc fee as that is extremely high. I bought a simlar 2011 Elantra with preferred package for $18,200. The TMV value was $18,045. The doc fee was only $75!

Let me know if this helps.

John
  • gauravggauravg Member Posts: 3
    Use www.truecar.com and check the price you get. Its better.
    Also dealers inflate doc fees, window etch fees and prep fees to increase their margin and wont budge from the fees. If you come across these fees ask them to reduce the vehicle cost. Also when you finalize the quote and meet the financial department guys, before signing anything check the Out of door price, sometimes the salesman shows you a different figure and they silently add a prep fees or window etching fees.
    Before signing the purchase, please.... review the figures. I got ripped by a 299$ window etching fees, so I am warning you. My doc fees was 349$ in NJ.
    this is a great price considering that i just looked at this same exact car down here in ft.laud fla with the prefered package and msrp of $18,580.00 plus an additional ADM of $1500.00 which brought the total to $20,080.00 and the dealer would not give any discounts at all on the car.full sticker price so i left the dealership...for some reason in florida the dealers are treating this car like gold and not giveing any discounts so i would jump at that $17,500.00 price.
  • ser3ndipityser3ndipity Member Posts: 1
    What A Rip Off! I Just Went In There Looking For Hyundai Elantra GSL With or Without Preferred Package, Wasting 5 Hours of Making A Deal AND THEY WANTED FULL MSRP + TTL.

Who In The Right Mind Pays Full Sticker Price For A Now-Older Model of 2011 Elantra. 2 Years Ago Hyundia Couldnt Sell A Car If They Gave It For Free But They Are Turning Customers Away b/c They Want FULL Sticker Price??!!

They Are Only Pissing People Off & The Customers Are Also Telling All Their Friends/Family Members That Hyundia Is A HUGE RIPOFF!

Avoid That Dealer, Dont Fall For Their Gimicks, Tricks & Their Nice Approach. At The End, However Hours You Spend Making Deals...You'll Just Be Hit With A Sticker Price. Oh FYI: Dont Believe The Shortage Of how They Are Selling Fast Which Is Why Supply & Demand Is Low. The Real Reason Is: Factory Stop Making/Shipping 2011 Elantra's And The Whole Paint Job Crises - Japan Accident.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/21/us-autoshow-hyundai-paint-idUSTRE73K08- C20110421
    i just went through a similar situation in orlando recently.went in to look at a 2011 hyundai elantra gls with the prefered pack and i-pod cable.msrp for this car was $18,690.00 plus there was a additional ADM markup of $1500.00 bringing the total amount to a little over $20,000.00.the dealer would not move a cent from the total price.the dealer said that these cars are dream cars right now and that i have to pay for that dream.i said here's your dream right here and i left the dealership.you need to find a hyundai dealership that's not aware of how popular the car has become and then you'll get a good deal.
  • buffy43buffy43 Member Posts: 3
    Ok Peace, I got it last night - the Hyundai Elantra GLS w/preferred. Went to a different dealership that seemed to be more upfront .

Details:
    MSRP $18,695
    neg. selling price $18184
    Acquisition fee $595
    Doc fee $45
    drive off $575 (includes 1st monthly pymt+reg + lic)
    Excess wear and tear insurance plan $399

If I'm adding correctly I think this gave me an "on the road" grand total of $19798. I wasnt sure what to do about the "excess wear and tear" insurance offer. Ive never been asked about that before in any of my Honda leases but the dealer told me Hyundai does not have as generous of a "normal wear and tear" allowance as I was used to with my Hondas and at this point I had already been there for hours and had to get my Honda turned in (down the street - I actually asked the dealer for a ride there and I drove him back to Hyundai!) so I just decided to do it. It adds another $12 to my monthly payments which are now $242. The one area I DID really have to haggle was with the credit tier I qualified for. When I came in they acted like my credit was too low to even qualify for a lease at all and then supposedly crunched the numbers w/ finance and congratulated me on qualifying for a tier 4 rate (the worst). Long story short it didnt sound right to me and I basically sat in his office with my phone and kept googling/researching and showing him how my credit score should be qualifying me for Tier 1 rate financing and he kept saying it was out of his hands and I just kept pushing and asking him questions and showing him the figures I was coming up with and they ended up qualifying me for a Tier 1 rate. I'm not sure if he truely had to go to bat for me with someone in finance or they get some sort of kickbacks/incentive for trying to get the customer to pay higher rates. Anyway, its done! And I am happy (to have the car and not have to do this for another 3 years!) Any luck with you???? Oh by the way...thanks again for letting me know about asking for that "on the road" price. That really helped me figure things out and led me to taking my business to a different dealer which was a good thing.
  • lawyerdudelawyerdude Member Posts: 2
    Around the Maryland area, the Elantra Limited with Nav is almost impossible to find. I may have an offer of $21,989 plus freight. The dealer actually offered that to me and then upped it because he "made a mistake." I have gone to the General Manager to honor it. Is that a good price?
  • yodaboyyodaboy Member Posts: 1
    Thanks everyone for posting. It helped me with my experience and so I created an account just to provide my experience.

I'm in Orange County/Southern California. I've been looking for an Elantra Limited with Nav (black/silver; black/gray interior) for about 2 months. I got prices off of truecar.com and PenFed (http://penfed.zag.com/main.html?referrer_id=ZPEN000001) and had some dealers who would match, but it seems like everytime I e-mailed them about their stock, they said everything was pre-sold... well darn, why not call me sooner so that I can be the one to pre-buy it?!

After much frustration, I decided to extend my search to an Elantra Limited WITHOUT Nav. I sent out e-mails yesterday (Monday) and immediately got a reply with a black/black car (my preferred combo). I called immediately and he told me the MSRP of $21,340 (mirror, mat, net). I asked if he price matched. He asked how I found him, I said truecar.com, and he then said the best he can do on the car is $21,000 flat. The truecar.com price for this car is $20,900. Since it was the color I wanted and I was really in need of a car, it took me two minutes to put down a deposit and pre-buy the car.

In the dealership, there was no funny business with the price. Went to financing and he tried to sell me all sorts of stuff (extended warranty, paint protection), but I said no to everything. I had 2.49% financing through penfed.org. He said he could offer me 2.15% if I got the paint protection, but the savings was about 15-20% the cost of the paint protection (~$700), so I passed.

The part people really care about:
    $21,000 Elantra
    $55 doc fee
    $1,842.31 Sales Tax (price of car + $55 doc fee)
    $243 license fee
    $89 registration/title fees
    $8.75 tire fees
    = $23,238.06 Drive off

Thanks again and good luck on getting your car!
  • psgame2kpsgame2k Member Posts: 36
    edited May 2011
    I went to San Francisco Hyundai dealer this past weekend. The selling price for all 2011 Elantra is firm on MSRP + $2000 "market adjustment" (dealer markup). As for Sonata: MSRP + 1500 markup.

America has 9% unemployment rate, 17% under-employment rate; most states have over 10% unemployment rate. It is worst in CA, 12+%. I really wonder who are these people finding the money to pay at MSRP. Are you able to borrow the printing press from Federal Reserve and print US dollars?

Only fools pay MSRP. What should we call those that pay MSRP + markup?
    $21,989 plus freight (which is $750) is right about MSRP prior to the recent price hike; the current MSRP including freight is $23,045. So that is not a great price, although in this seller's market it might be about as good as you'll get for car "almost impossible to find".
  • drew11mdrew11m Guest Posts: 85
    They wouldn't be marking up the prices that much if they weren't selling them. My price of 19500 for the Limited w/o nav seems great by comparison.

If only they had had a elantra turbo version. My one regret with this car is the. Engine
  • miranda200miranda200 Member Posts: 15
    2011 Sonata's are going for Invoice price or below in Portland OR.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter would like to talk with someone who recently traded in a Honda or Toyota for a Hyundai, Kia, Ford or Chevy. Please email pr@edmunds.com by Friday, June 3, 2011 with your daytime contact information, the car models involved and a few words about your decision.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• kmonniakmonnia Member Posts: 18
    Here's the deal:

2012 Elantra GLS in white with the preferred package, homelink mirror, mats, and the spare tire (doesn't come with one). It comes with fix a flat and a compressor so we asked them to add it.

I traded in my 2008 Elantra SE w/ 72,000 miles.

2012 $19,150 pretty much MSRP, but they gave me $500 above TMV for my trade and included the spare tire and tools which is $360ish.
    Tax 7.0% $638
    Title $85
    Tag fee $45
    Doc stamps $72
    Total $20,617

It was a great experience. The dealership got a ton of cars in for the Memorial Day weekend, which was great because they had white! I was there a couple days earlier and their lot was pretty much empty. The salesman was awesome. So happy with car and glad I saved about $1k which is what I need to put into my old car. :shades:
    with all-do respect,you got screwed over just like everyone else who is paying full msrp for these cars.no car,regardless how hot it is or how popular it is is worth msrp.imagine if everybody who looked at the new elantra with the intent to purchase refused to pay the full msrp than the selling dealers would have no choice than to discount the car.
  • bigdancinbigdancin Member Posts: 1
    Don't listen to steve it sounds like a very good deal to me considering how hot the product is..........just curious how much u got for your 08 SE????Did your old SE have an automatic?Did it have any options?How good was the condition?
  • knocker81knocker81 Member Posts: 44
    You are 100% right, even though Hyundai has been getting good reviews they haven't earned the right to get sticker. I have a BMW and 2 Toyotas and I've never paid sticker. I don't know what they think they're doing besides pissing a lot of people off. I had to walk out of the dealer yesterday, after wasting over 2 hours negotiating on a 2012 Elantra with a sticker of 19,445 preferred pkg, mats, I pod cable and a few other things, first they told me there were dealer installed items like door guards and other things that drove the price up over 20,000. I told him I don't need any of those extra items, offered 17, 600 probably a little low but that was my starting point. After the routine of the first salesman then his boss then a check with the invisible manager in the back and so on, the price was still 19,445. Of course he's giving me the limited quantities story, no one else has these cars, I wanted the Desert bronze which he had and it is a little hard to find, but I'm still not paying sticker, so I left. I went home searched other dealers and found quite a few, not the desert bronze,....so I emailed him back with an offer of 18,000, I think 1400 off sticker is reasonable if not, they lost a customer.
  • kmonniakmonnia Member Posts: 18
    The condition of my car was very good, although it did need quite a few things. Tires, cabin filter, radiator fluid, transmission fluid, and a couple other small maintenance items. Probably would have run about $800. Instead of spending the money, I upgraded. I had an SE with heated seats, spoiler, sunroof. The issue is that I drive a lot. The car had 72,000 miles. They gave me $10,000. I probably could have gotten a little more for it, but I am very happy with my deal/experience.

I guess I could keep wasting my time going from dealer to dealer, spending two hours at a time, and leaving frustrated. But, instead, I knew what I wanted for my trade, knew how much I should pay (based on feedback from this forum), and was very happy they had the color I wanted and a 2012. So, I am happy with my transaction. It was pleasant and I love the car! Just got the windows tinted yesterday and it looks awesome!
    i myself looked at a 2011 hyundai elantra gls base model in desert bronze with the tan interior which looks pretty cool.msrp on this car with the only options being the dimming rearview mirror with home-link and compass came to $18,550.00....again dealer would not move from the msrp so i left.maybe i'll get a better deal on a chevy cruze instead.
  • lavelilaveli Member Posts: 12
    Looking to purchase an Elantra for the wife, and we only have few days to buy it. Long story short I emailed few dealers in the Los Angeles area offered to purchase it at invoice they all declined. What is a reasonable price to pay for an Elantra when we don’t have much time to negotiate? Wife is looking for one with a sunroof, I was told by one dealer that is the Limited edition. I don’t want to pay sticker price, but if that’s the last resort we just may. Any feedback will be highly appreciated.
    Yes, the Limited has the sunroof.

In this market, unfortunately you may wind up paying at or near sticker price if you have a limited time to buy an Elantra. Can you travel outside the LA area? You might find a dealer elsewhere e.g. Las Vegas willing to deal.

Does it HAVE to be an Elantra? There's other good compact cars e.g. Cruze, Forte, and Sentra, available at big discounts.
    So I just returned from one of the dealerships here in Los Angeles. Wife did a test drive and looks like she really likes the limited edition. The dealership was pretty dead; we were the only customers inside. After the test drive and talking to the sales person a bit we decide to head out. On our way back we get an email from the same dealership from the fleet/internet manager. He had emailed us on a quote for the limited edition for $20,153, as we had emailed few dealerships the night before about pricing. We immediately call back and he says “I just sold that car, if you come in we can see what I can do for you on other car” and he goes on saying “we are super busy here, these cars sell like hotcakes” he had no clue I was in the dealership few minutes ago talking to one of the sales people on the floor. So I told him if you can find another car at that price let me know, he says “we won’t have any other car at that price” I said have a good one. I am very tempted to go online and put a bad review for this individual/dealership.
    Anyone know what the deal on this $399 for DOC fees are?
    In some states dealers can charge what they want for doc fees, maybe up to some maximum. So some charge a LOT and almost all of it is additional profit to them. You can try to negotiate it down, but if not successful just consider it part of the overall price of the car.
    edited May 2011
    oh i see, thanks Backy. Would you know what that $1000 rebate to lender is? does that go to the dealership?
  • oboewanoboewan Member Posts: 4
    I just went through the process of finding one myself. After a horrible experiecne at Alexandria Hyundai, I went up to Pohanka and while they didn't have the color (black) I wanted with the Limited, they had one coming in this week on the next truck. I went ahead and purchased it and it ended up being 23003 or something after all the taxes and stuff. I hadn't intended to get one with NAV but that's what was available so I splurged for that plus the model had the Autodim rearview mirror which I really don't need but paid for nonetheless. I hope to drive it off the lot in the next day or so!

Good luck,

Jeff
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    There are plenty of good c-class cars out there...

There are good deals on the Mazda3, Kia Forte, 2011 Civic's, and even discounts on the 2012 Ford Focus.

After reading reviews on who the Elantra actually drives, I would not go near one. The gearing is so tall it actually feels slower than the previous model. The steering is mushy and the handling is nothing to write home about.

Hyundai is succeeding because it has a flashy design and gets the magical 40mpg highway. Smart on their part, but, I don't see any value in the rest of it, IMO
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Doc fees are virtually 100% profit. With vehicle invoicve prices plastered all over the Internet and customers knowing how much holdback is on cars, it's very difficult to turn a profit and do business in many cases. That is why doc fees are getting higher and higher.
    edited May 2011
    After reading reviews on who the Elantra actually drives, ...

Have you driven one? Or are you just accepting everything you read?

If you do, you'll read some very positive reviews on the Elantra. What I found is, the car is plenty peppy for an economy car (148 hp, good power/weight ratio). The steering (electronic) is not as crisp as some cars e.g. Mazda3, but it tracks well and handles fine in everyday driving. If you want a car to carve canyons, this wouldn't be the best choice. If you mostly do commuting (including long drives on highways) and schleppling kids and groceries around cities and suburbs, without a canyon to be found for miles, I think it's worth a look... and drive.