Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Was it one of Rick Case's stores? Just guessing here. We live across the street from Coconut Creek Hyundai, have already bought from them a few years ago, and their new supply seems to not sit very long at all. I pass the area where they start the PDI process and cars don't sit there much.
    The wife and I also talked about the new Accent earlier and she prefers the sedan but I prefer the 5 door. Think she'd be happier in the Elantra but we'll have to wait & see. Hoping to squeak out another 6 to 12 months if possible. But the a/c has been acting up lately and the tires are starting to look a bit worn. We're already past 92k and we'd really like to get it over 100k. Due to the small amount of compact & sub compact models available, getting these things fixed will probably become necessary at some point. Again, we'll have to see how lucky we are. We still love the Mazda though.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    cdm770234cdm770234 Member Posts: 6
    FWIW, we test drove Accent Sedan and Elantra back to back. My wife and I both felt that the Accent did not have adequate power even while driving on flat roads. Acceleration is very labored and pick up is unacceptably slow with 4 passengers. Once it reaches highway speed, then it was OK. Also, the suspension is quite good compared to the previous generation Elantra. We have ruled out Accent; we will be buying Elantra if we can get it at a reasonable price.

CDM
  • Options
    steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    the name of the dealer is william lehman hyundai-mitsubishi-subaru located near where i live in north miami beach,fla.i don't know what became of the 2 people involved in the shouting match over the elantra.and i don't blame you for not wanting to pay full msrp especially a hyundai that despite what you may have read or heard do not have very good resale value.atleast when you pay full msrp for a honda or toyota you get the good resale value guranteed..with a hyundai,it's a roll of the dice.......
  • Options
    bigdogbitubigdogbitu Member Posts: 39
    Hard to believe people fighting over a Hyundai!

Before this car became popular, my wife and I were looking at a white GLS and a desert bronze Limited with navigation in our dealer's backlot back in December. Both cars were side by side unprepped with tan interiors! We bought the Limited! Would have bought both if the white was a Limited with navigation! Got a great deal too!
  • Options
    im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Toughest ones are still the Limited Navi cars, but that GLS with the Preferred package is just as tough.

FWIW, MSRP isn't really that much over invoice... last I checked on a GLS it's about $400 give or take depending on accessories.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    Long time, no see!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    mataln97499mataln97499 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a basic model, 6sp manual with the comfort package (Air, Cruise, Tel steer, 16" wheels, carpet floor mats & Ipod cable) for $17,200 after destination fee's. We are adding a sunroof to the car in a couple weeks and will be paying $995 extra for that. We didn't buy any of their extended warranties but did purchase the "window hardener" package they had for about $550 (not even sure what it is but it's suppose to be like perminant rain-x plus hardens the glass to avoid rock chips). We'll see if that works. We paid nearly full MSRP (Hyundai doesn't have much of a markup but they did make some money) because my wife had to have the stick shift and it was the only one in within 200 miles and we didn't want to deal with a dealer trade. So far the car seems like a good deal (45mpg on the dash, but haven't refueled yet to get real reading). Feel free to ask questions if you'd like. Matt :)
  • Options
    mataln97499mataln97499 Member Posts: 3
    I would. I just bought a 6sp manual with comfort package for $17,200 minus floor mats and Ipod cable. We were short on 6 speeds in the area but it was worth it to my wife (still beat her corolla price by $2500).
  • Options
    marko711marko711 Member Posts: 10
    window hardener are you serious? :sick:
  • Options
    hordeallhordeall Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    I purchased a 2012 elantra automatic GLS w/preferred package, floor mats, ipod cable, trunk net for 18,300 + tax title etc = 20,000 out the door in IL. It was $150 under invoice I believe. I called almost every dealer in IL and IN and most wouldnt budge on price.as most have notcied.

Rule one when purchasing a car is to never go to the dealership first and work with a salesman because the internet always ALWAYS will get you the better price.

I used USAA car buying service and it was easy, free, and didnt need to haggle.

( My sales tax is a beast at like 7.5% )
  • Options
    reddy7reddy7 Member Posts: 1
    hi everyone, i am new here and registered today to share my buying experience of 2012 elantra limited with nav. first of all i am very thankful to this forum which helped me a lot on price estimation.
    regarding my price

purchased in maryland and registered in virginia

21800 - 400 graduate discount = 21400 msrp

tax & others - 1000

total - 22400.

i dont know its a good deal or not. i relied on USAA and this forum for an estimate before going to the showroom. what i feel is price on USAA is more.one of the dealers website has this car on sale for 18700 and i know its not the real price so when i called them they told it that its the price after all available rebates (500 -military,1000- disability, 400 graduate,760 frieght)even after adding all those its around 21360 ,so i thought its a good price and went to the showroom with the print out from the website. but they showed me their website which say its their official website which shows price as "contact dealer". i told them i got this from hyundaiusa.com, dealers inventory search. the sp had some 30 min discussion with the manager finally came out adding 500 to it and said its the final price they can give. so the final price is 21860 before graduate discount of 400.finally i said ok. at the end what i feel is it can be easily a couple of hundred less. but thats ok i am happy with what i got since its my first car. any questions welcome
  • Options
    dinamo1975dinamo1975 Member Posts: 12
    I purchased a 2012 elantra automatic GLS w/preferred package, floor mats, ipod cable, trunk net for 18,000 + tax title etc = 19040 out the door in VA. It took me 1 hour to get this price on the phone. Very good experience gave a deposit $500 at 10am and picked my car at 6pm after work. Financial manager was able to match my PenFed offer at 2.49% for 60 month.
  • Options
    It's been a while! I'm at Hyundai now :)

BTW, since I wrote that post we got 6 Elantras in. 4 gone, 2 washed up and awaiting delivery.. I haven't seen a car this hot in the 16 years I've been in the business! Saw a used one at the auction... both left doors painted, 8k miles, it broke $17k!
  • Options
    so your saying that a used one that had both doors painted probably due to a accident still fetched $17,000.00...?????...when your hot,your hot......
  • Options
    efpat4efpat4 Member Posts: 5
    I was offered the following this morning at a dealer in Northern NJ.

2012 Elantra GLS with preferred package $17985 plus tax and tags. The Limited is $2000 more.

I was stunned that this was the opening offer. The GLS is $950 below MSRP. With all the messages on this board saying most dealers were selling at MSRP I was surprised. The offer includes 1 year of free maintenance. The opening offer for my trade was also great.

The only reason I didn't buy was because I wanted to sit in and test the Limited. The only 4 Elantras they has were GLS with preferred. I want the Limited and needed to make sure the head room with the sun roof was ok. Luckily, I was able to drive our friends Limited which they bought a few months ago. The head room is fine. So I am going to call up the dealer tomorrow and see how long it will be get a Limited.

Thanks to the board for the great information.

I
  • Options
    Curious what dealer this was? Nobody in the district is showing 4 unreported GLS preferreds...
  • Options
    drew11mdrew11m Guest Posts: 85
    hey IM_brentwood..

From a dealer perspective, what would a 2011 Elantra Limited (no nav) bring as a trade in . 8K miles, no damage, a few scratches.

I am considering trading up, but not if I cant get a good deal back on it.
  • Options
    i_n_ki_n_k Member Posts: 4
    My fiance and I just bought a 2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS A/T with Preferred Package (Floor Mats, iPod Cable, and Cargo Net thrown in) for $16,900 +++. We are absolutely ecstatic about the deal and very much in love with the car.

We emailed every Hyundai dealership within a 200 mile radius (turned out to be a about 24 dealerships) and had them competing with one another for the best price. We found the method to be very low hassle and very effective. It took one day for us to reach that price, and they even delivered the car to our front door (saving us a 3 hour road trip).

Cheers to my fellow Elantra owners!
  • Options
    this is the best price iv'e seen so far on this forum when you consider that others here have paid either full msrp or not that much below that.congrats on what i believe to be is the best deal on this forum....
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Which dealership? Or did they make you promise not to tell anyone? ;)
  • Options
    Thanks guys! They didn't swear me to secrecy, so I'll say that it was Hyundai of St. Augustine. Their internet sales department was a pleasure to deal with. The Internet sales manager said that his GM was very motivated.

After we sent our initial mass email (and after some negotiating), we had a standing offer for 17250 which the Internet sales manager at St Augustine said that he would match. I told him that I would have to get back to him. He then went to the GM, who went down to 17000 (which was our initial starting point for negotiations in the email). Eventually we got them down to 16,900, and like I said, they were a pleasure to deal with -- there was no animosity or belligerence from the sales team whatsoever.
  • Options
    with a deal like that i might just drive up to st.augastine from where i live in hallandale beach,fla to work a deal like that..about a 5 hour drive north.
  • Options
    mikeystoy5mikeystoy5 Member Posts: 56
    We bought a new Elantra in april. It was a GLS, with preferred an nav.. Sticker was 20,300. After putting 1500 down, we financed 17200. Really don't think we got a bad deal at all.
  • Options
    just returned from local hyundai dealer to look at a 2012 elantra gls in black with auto tranny and base model no prefered package.msrp was $18,395.00...i offered 17,500.00 and dealer refused so i left the dealership.
  • Options
    Two things: 1) From what I understand, it's much better to purchase towards the end of the month. A few of the dealerships that I spoke with said that they were trying to eclipse their previous month's record so they were very motivated to sell. 2) I would definitely recommend using the internet to try to get offers from dealerships. It's a great way to get a number of offers quickly without having to go through the interpersonal hassle of high-pressure salespeople.
  • Options
    Tough to say.. haven't see a single one sell at auction yet.

Most 2011 GLS Automatics are bringing in the high 15s to mid 16s at auction depending on color and miles so I'd have to be $500 back of auction hammer price at least.

I'd think... tough to say but probably 17k should be safe, depending on color.
  • Options
    stirwheelstirwheel Member Posts: 4
    New to this. So have a few questions.

How do you collect the email addresses of all the dealerships in the 200 mile radius ?

What do you email them, so that you get a response ?

Thanks.
  • Options
    I just went Hyundai.com and it'll ask you for your zip. When given, all the dealers in my area came up. I just sent them a e-mail telling them what I was interested in after viewing their inventory. We set up a appointment to test drive one, an bought one that we didn't notice on the list. Good Luck
  • Options
    drew11mdrew11m Guest Posts: 85
    Great thanks,

I figured for the 11 Limited I could get at least 17 in trade, but probably above 18 in private sale.

It's a great car, just miss a bigger engine with more torque. If they had a nice turbo in this car putting out 170 or 180hp, it would be a dream
  • Options
    chicagiochicagio Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    Hey Hordeall -

What dealer did you go to? After looking around, out-the-door in 20k is what we were looking at, too.
  • Options
    gcgraygcgray Member Posts: 1
    I live in Gainesville. I thought this thread was a great lead so I contacted Hyundai of St. Augustine. They agreed to match the deal on a similarly equiped 2012 Elantra on Saturday after 5PM but when I called on Sunday early afternoon to plan a visit, the manager indicated someone had suddenly put funds down on the same car...

Saturday evening, another dealer's salesman had said they likely made a low-ball offer to lure me into their store knowing they already had a buyer on that car. Other dealers would not match their offer and also would not give me an offer via email so I think his impression may have been accurate.

Below are extracts of two of the emails....

I shopped around quite a bit and could not find a Elantra GLS in the color we wanted. Weary of the search we went ahead and visited a dealer with a good inventory and purchased a 2011 Elantra Limited PZEV (options floor mats and wheel locks) at Hyundai of Orange Park (Jacksonville). The car's sticker price was $20,845 (which included the dubious Inland freight & handling charge of $720). They agreed to take $1200 off for a cash price of $19845, and gave me a retired military discount of $500.

My out-the-door price with $699 dealer prep, new tag, tax, and other junk fees was $22,106. Although we really like the car and the salesman, thinking about this the next morning I wonder if I should not have worked this deal a bit harder.

However, I hope these data help other buyers.

--------------------

Sent: Sunday, July 03, 2011 12:27 PM
    To: xxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: RE: RE: RE: Hyundai Elantra

Mr. xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
    I apologize, a deposit was just placed on VIN ending in xxxxxx. It is scheduled for a Tuesday delivery, if something falls through I will be sure to let you know.

Best Regards,
    xxxxxx

-----------------------

Sent: Saturday, July 02, 2011 5:23 PM
    To: xxxxxxx
    Subject: RE: RE: RE: Hyundai Elantra - follow up from the owner of Hyundai of St.Augustine

Mr. xxxxx,
    Thank you for considering Hyundai of St. Augustine and forwarding us the post one of our valued guests wrote on the Internet.

We'd be happy to honor the deal the customer wrote about, which was actually a selling price of 17,000. The VIN you are interested in has a Homelink mirror from the factory, adding $226 to the cost of the vehicle. Here is the line by line breakdown :

MSRP 19,150
    Selling price 17,226
    Dealer Fee 599.50
    Sales Tax 1,119.92 (6% plus $50 out of county tax)
    State Tire and Battery Fee 8.50
    Estimated cost of tag transfer 162 (462 if purchasing a new tag)

Out the Door 19,115.92

Please note that due to the aggresive nature of this pricing and supply/demand of the Elantra, this offer is good through July 4th at 5 PM or until VIN # xxxxxxxxxxx is sold. It is available as of 5:19 PM on Saturday, July 2nd. Please contact xxxxxxxxxxx immediately if you are interested in securing this VIN at the above pricing.

Best Regards,
    xxxxx
    xxxxx
    Hyundai of St. Augustine
  • Options
    wise8wise8 Member Posts: 19
    Hi,

I am looking to buy a new Elantra in Bay Area California.

I contacted a few dealers via email system on hyundai.com. It looks like the inventory is very low. I can't find any 2011 model. Some dealers have sold out.

Is it because of the July 4 holiday? Will I have better chance if I wait until the end of July.

What's your experience? Any advice would be appreciated.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    You may have to go for a 2012 model, or be prepared to travel a ways to get a leftover 2011. I doubt you will have any better luck finding a 2011 at the end of July--they could be all gone by then.
  • Options
    Found a dealer in Greensboro, N.C., that has 5 2011 Elantra's
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    We were given the option of having it delivered to our front door for 17k or to pick it up in St Augustine for 16,900. We opted to have it delivered. I hope that didn't cause any problems. I'm sorry to hear that the deal didn't go through. They were really very pleasant to deal with when I was purchasing.
  • Options
    sprashsprash Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    I just bought a 2011 Elantra Limited WITHOUT technology package, but with the included options of wheel locks, ipad cable, floor mats for a round figure of $21,000 OTD (including $340 DMV fees). Harbor gray exterior and Black interiors.

Good deal or got ripped? :confuse:
  • Options
    you probably could have gotten a 2012 for either the same or a little more money since the 2012's are arriving on dealers lots now.
  • Options
    the object of any new car purchaser is to go into the dealership and try to get the best deal that you can on a new car purchase.however,when you pay full msrp for a car you are basically going into the dealer and waiving the white flag in surrender and giveing the dealership the upper hand on the purchase.it's like saying i want the dealership to make as much money on me as possible when it should be the other way around.
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    I'd rather have a fair deal for both sides as that's what negotiations are all about...both sides walk away from the table with something. There has to be compromise or the deal won't happen. And now when demand is so much greater than supply, the dealer is in the cat bird seat. Hopefully in six months or so, demand/supply will be better balanced. But until then, the dealer knows that there will be many customers who will pay full MSRP and then some to get the product. But just like you Steve, we're gonna wait it out at this point.

Tires Plus removed a nail from one of the Mazda 3's tires this morning and told me I need at least 2 new tires. We'll probably get them and fix the a/c if it goes out totally and take her to 100k miles. But since it's the wife's car, she'll make the ultimate decision. Since I'm home now and really don't drive much, we might swap rides for awhile until she's ready and inventory picks up a bit. We'll see. :confuse:

The Sandman :confuse: :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    I guess that maybe I have an advantage over some, because I worked for dearlers for over 42 yrs., an I know what they can do if they want to make a sale. Not many people know about the incentives dealers get from the factory, such as advertising fees, dealer hold back (which on alot of cars or trucks can be $3000-$5000 that they get on every unit sold), doc fee's, (just a big rip off, this money generally goes into the owners pocket), exteneded warranties, (which the dealer pays about $600 for an charges anywhere from $1200-$2200) an all those little things like a lifetime wax package, windsheild chip protector??, thats a new one an just about all the rest of the bull they try to sell you on top of there so called best deal. Thats why it's important to make the very best deal you can an maybe bring up about the little extra's they get. You'll never see a poor owner, or any of the upper management. Hope this might help ya's.
  • Options
    fo1422fo1422 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    I actually put money down at Hyundai of St Augustine on Saturday. I bought a 2012 silver automatic Hyundai Elantra with the preferred package and the mirror upgrade. I paid 17,500 for the car + the 599 dealer fee+ tax ,tag,title. With 1500 in negative equity , I walked out the door for 20,389.87 with no financing. The salesman that I dealt with was nice but I did have to work him over for a day. I actually had a different quote at first but saw what was posted later and called the dealer to make them match it.
  • Options
    green_orchidgreen_orchid Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2011
    Just got a 2012 Elantra GLS A/T yesterday in Blue Sky Metallic with Preferred Package, Carpeted Floor Mats, Cargo Net, Cargo Tray and Tan Pinstriping (it was already on the car or I would've opted out) for $19500 out the door (TTT and fees: $599 dealer fee, tax was 7% and new tags, title etc cost $400). Considering there is no cap on dealer fees, nor really any way around them here in FL (I've see most dealer fees in the $529-$799 range) plus many of them not budging from MSRP and that Edmuds TMV for the area shows $18490 before TTT and fees I'd say we got a pretty good deal. I had literally been trying for WEEKS calling about a dozen dealerships in all parts of FL, AL and as far away as the Northeast and none of them would come close to that price on a 2012 or 2011, even without the Preferred Package. Lowest price I could get otherwise without any add-ons was $19,900 out the door. At first the dealership I went through was going to offer me a base A/T in black for around the same price, but when I said no dice on the black car (because it's blazing hot here in FL and I didn't want to par-boil in the car) and said I'd be there TODAY if they gave me the same deal on another lighter color they came back to me with this one with the extra add-ons.
    In all it took 5 days of negotiating and back and forth phone calls. The limbo was partly the dealer checking on pricing and taking hours to get back to me and partly me trying to check around for better pricing, which never panned out. The salesman we dealt with was professional and honest the whole way through. Once we were in the office there was absolutely no pressure. Even the Finance Manager was terrific (we had financing and cash all set ahead of time). The entire process was quick, easy and surprisingly relaxed.
    I had test driven the 2011 Chevy Cruze, the 2012 Ford Fiesta and Focus and wasn't impressed. And the only car that would've been cheaper would've been the Cruze and if I put my son's carseat (base and carrier) behind either of the front seats someone would be pushed up into the dashboard... not good! The Elantra has just the right amount of room to be comfy and not squished.
    Drove it home last night and loving it ever since. I've heard the light blue isn't as popular and maybe that's why I got a decent deal, but either way I'm super happy with it. Can't wait to save on gas!
    Wishing all of you many safe and gas-sipping miles in your new Elantras! ;)
  • Options
    longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    Don't know what's going on with the Elantra pricing, but I lurk on the Sonata forum and in their extensive formum on Best Prices Paid, many are getting Sonatas for the same price as people are paying for Elantras. As far as Elantra mpg's are concerned, that magic 40 highway seems pretty elusive.
    My purpose of commenting on your post tho, was this....if it were my decision to get a new Elantra, the color you got would be my FIRST choice, I have seen them in the "sky blue" and love the look. The Elantra doesn't have a bad angle on it.
    Saw a new Elantra at a car show on a turntable going around, and it looks great all the way around. The Sonata front grill kind of looks overcooked to me.
  • Options
    wise8wise8 Member Posts: 19
    Thanks.

Yes, no dealers nearby seem to have 2011 models left. I will have to go with 2012 models now. I hope the 2012 model is worth the extra money.
  • Options
    green_orchidgreen_orchid Member Posts: 2
    I love the color too... I don't know why it isn't as popular. I haven't seen one in the color I have yet here in the Tampa area (though I'm sure they're around). From what I'm seeing on the road, it's mostly the Harbor Grey Metallic, which is nice color on the car, but I still like the light blue the best. Glad someone else agrees. :)
  • Options
    My 2011 Elantra GLS is Sky Blue Metallic and we love it. It has the beige interior which we think also looks good.
  • Options
    rv99rv99 Member Posts: 6
    Any recent experiences about out-the-door prices on this car will be welcome, Ram
  • Options
    efpat4efpat4 Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2011
    Have you or anyone else heard of a transfer fee? This is a new one to me. Dealer want $150 transfer fee. I have not asked them what it is yet. Just saw it on the quote I got. It also included $200 for etching. That one is definitely not getting paid.

Thanks.
  • Options
    That transfer fee is either what there charging to transfer the title, or what I think it is actually is a fee because they got it from another dealer. Some dealers, like the one I bought from,sell them as fast as they get them. I noticed last saturday, they got 4 in,by closing time they were gone.
    That's why I think your paying them for their time to get the vehicle from someone else.
  • Options
    rlest8rlest8 Member Posts: 1
    what was the sticker price on this elantra?