Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• g2iowag2iowa Member Posts: 123
    Wow, what a great deal. I'm jealous. (I'm assuming this is a brand new 2012.) Wonder what is driving such deep discounting? How many other Hyundai dealers are within 50 miles of this dealer? Does the dealer have a ton of '12 Elantras on his lot?
  • chriss1241chriss1241 Member Posts: 2
    Just leased a 2012 Elantra GLS in red with preferred equipment package, all weather mats, and cargo net in trunk.

Down payment was $433 (1st months payment and fees).
    For a 36 month, 15k mile/year lease, I pay $239/month. I am happy with this deal.

Averaging around 37+ MPG on a 77% highway, 23% city commute.
  • knocker81knocker81 Member Posts: 44
    Just got back from the dealer here in NYC and was wondering if I got a good deal....

2012 Elantra auto, Desert Bronze
    preferred pk
    carpeted floor mats
    wheel locks
    cargo tray
    cargo mat
    homelink rear view mirror
    plus they're throwing in the Ipod cable, sticker price is $19,255 and invoice was $18,7 and change.....I asked what was his best price and he came back 18,599, I offered 18,000. We settled on 18,250. The only problem I have is the car is not in his inventory but we did locate it at another dealer. I'm a little hesitant because I don't like buying cars and waiting for them to be delivered. He did have the VIN # so I know the car is legitimate. He said I walked in at the perfect time because of end of month and also end of year quotas. I haven't given any money yet but I said I'll get back to him tomorrow....should I pull the trigger?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    It depends. How much do you need to buy a car TODAY? How much do you want to buy an Elantra? (Are there other models you are considering?) How much do you want this color (it's my fav on the Elantra, with beige interior)? If you don't need a car right away and have flexibility on color, you could wait until the end of the year and see if you can get a better deal. Maybe you can. But the deal looks pretty good to me.
    Yeah I love the color, about 4 mths ago I had the same car but the dealer wanted 19,500. I've seen some people paying sticker or more. I have another dealer who has the same car in silver...we didn't discuss price but he said he's willing to make it worth my while and beat all other prices,( I'm just not crazy about silver). I do wonder if I could get a better deal if I waited till the end of the year, but how much better.
    Right, and how many cars will be available then. Back in the fall of 2000 I wanted to buy one of the all-new 2001 Elantras. One dealer had the best price; another was $100 more but had exactly the color I wanted. I paid a little more for the color I wanted. Of course, back then I only paid $11,800 for a GLS. Times change...
  • tturbotturbo Member Posts: 16
    I've been shopping price for a 2012 Elantra Limited.
    Initially when these cars came to market, supply was limited compared to buyers wanting this car.

That gave Hyundai dealers some attitude problems IMO. They finally have cars that people want to buy and some people will even pay MSRP for them to be the first on the block.
    That's good, but Hyundai dealers need to realize this segment of automobile is like Dorito's, keep eating we'll make more. The Chicago area dealers I've been communicating with act as if these cars we limited production. They are not. This is a new model and it's taking Hyundai time to ramp up production. That is now happening and you're going to see more and more Elantra's on dealer lots. The buyers who had to have the newest on the block paid retail, and the dealers want to keep that going. Can't blame them, but I won't pay MSRP for this car.

Chevy and Ford are discounting their Cruze and Focus as supply is ramping up.
    Just over the past week the dealers I am speaking with are offering an invoice sale.
    I'm looking to get at least $500 below invoice.
    Also, Hyundai is now playing the advertising fee game as well, and the invoice shows nearly $200 for "ad/marketing fees". Edmunds invoice does not reflect true invoice of these car by nearly $200. So, if you're shopping invoice, be prepared to see this.

The price of the Elantra is lower than the competition, but there are things you can't get in the Elantra either. This car has the most room in this class, and it has excellent fuel mileage.
    But, it also uses old tech split beam rear suspension, which is not a true independent rear, and thus costs less to build. The Cruze also has this type of rear.
    Focus and Mazda use modern and sophisticated multi-link independent rear suspensions, which cost more to manufacturer. That's one more reason why the Focus and Mazda get such high praise for their ride and handling.

Also, in the Cruze, Focus, and Maz3 you get various quality levels of computer screen and readouts for various things like MPG, miles to empty, etc... Elantra doesn't give us any standard readout of that type. It costs less as there is less.
    Elantra doesn't offer powered seats, but offers heated rear? That makes no sense.
    But then, the Cruze only offers a powered seat bottom. If you want to move the seat back it is manual. That's a cheap out on Chevy's part. I find I need to move the back much more often than the seat bottom on longer trips.

Still, the Elantra gives a lot and space is one of it's greatest assets. Plus, that buttery smooth yet responsive 6spd auto trans is exceptional. In my test drives Elantras automatic was the smoothest and tied with the Mazda 3 skyactive 6spd for quickness in manual response and knowing when to downshift for turns.

The tech pkg is much too costly for an Elantra. They should have broke the pkg apart.
    I'd love to have a great stereo, but why would I also need a NAV with that? I don't.
    A keyless entry and start, along with rear parking camera is attached to the audio system?
    Makes no sense.
    Yes, it costs the manufacturer less per car when options are packaged, but in this case the tech package is very expensive. It's nearly 10% the cost of a base Limited.

Hopefully we'll have a new Elantra soon as Chicago land dealers are getting more and more Elantras every week.
  • mikeystoy5mikeystoy5 Member Posts: 56
    I'm not sure if you drove a new Elantra or not, but it does show miles to empty, mpg, e/t. At least mine does. As far as the tech pkg. goes, I can take it or leave it. We didn't want leather an a sunroof. We bought a 2011 GLS this past april, w/nav.(which isn't availible on the 2012 GLS) which had a sticker price of 20,300 ( it came with wheel locks, carpeted floor mats and a I-Pod cable). We wound up paying 17,200 plus tx an all their little fees an crap. Still got a great deal, an we very happy with it. I guess I'm one of the few who gets the advertised mileage or better. Of course one reason we got a great price was because the 2012's were on the way. The reason we got the tech pkg. was it was the only one in the color we wanted. Blue Sky Metallic with beige interior.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Great post...want all the info I can get as the Elantra is on the wife's short list for her next ride, a 2013 model. By then, the market should be saturated with product and with the new Corolla and Sentra due soon, should be much to choose from...Hyundai needs to remember this as they won't be the only game in town anymore!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• g2iowag2iowa Member Posts: 123
    edited December 2011
    Yes, cars are subject to laws of supply and demand like other goods. When supplies are tight for a product people want, then price is high. As either supply increases or demand deceases, prices fall.

In the world of economy cars, I wouldn't worry too much about things like type of suspension and handling at the limits. About 95% of drivers about 95% of time wouldn't know about or worry whether their inexpensive car had multilink rear suspension or torsion beam/trailing link rear suspension. (In addition to different suspension design, the Focus and Mazda 3 have rear anti-roll bars, which both Cruze and Elantra lack. Mazda is known for more aggressive suspension set ups and the Focus is heavily reliant of Ford of Europe design input, for Europeans who like more aggressive suspension set ups.)

Yes, is most odd that you can get heated rear seats in Limited but no power seat in any Elantra; since car mags have complained about it, I bet that gets addressed next year. (Memory power driver seat would also be a very nice option.) I wish the trunk used the non-intrusive multilink hinges, so useable trunk space was maximized. And wish the ignition key went into the dash rather than the steering column. But other than those rather minor griefs, you do get a whole lot of good looking car for not a lot of money. The Elantra is quite a good deal all around.
  • joe007joe007 Member Posts: 1
    Where is the location of this dealer.
    Where is the readout for those things?
    You have the "tech pkg", which is probably where you're seeing those things?

I was comparing what Chevy, Ford, etc... give as standard. The Cruze and Mazda3 have basic car computer screens, but they are there. I don't recall seeing that information being displayed on the radio screen. The car we drove did not have the tech pkg. On most car with Nav, there are always added features and screens that non Nav do not get.

On non tech Elantra's, is there a screen where you can see avg MPG, instant MPG, vehicle diagnostics/check, etc...?
    I mention the suspension type and construction because it is relative to how a vehicle handles, and how much it costs.

I look at these things because I am a car guy. I am shopping the Elantra and others in this class, for my sister. For me, I drive more driver oriented automobiles. Yes, I spend a good deal more for my cars, but that's my preference as I'm willing to spend money on what I value, others spend it on AV equipment, shoes, and jewelry. :)

It's true that most people buying this class of vehicle don't care about ride and handling at the limit, as most will not drive in that manner. Hyundai and Chevy did a great job of creating a nice riding and nice handling vehicle while using older tech and design. But, that's also why Ford Focus and Mazda 3 get the better reviews, as their design is newer using newer materials. So those who prefer a smaller car than also handles well, and gives a better level of driving performance will gravitate towards other than the Elantra and Cruze.

Still, I'm with others here, this Elantra is a wonderful all around package that's greater than the sum of it's parts. The Focus and Mazda 3 may have some better individual parts, but as a whole compact car the Elantra is better, for me at least, and my sister and her husband agree. :)

I just got to find the best price as I have a negative reaction to paying MSRP.
    I didn't even pay MSRP for my BMW 135i. :)
    But, that's also why Ford Focus and Mazda 3 get the better reviews...

Depends on who is doing the reviewing. For example, Focus was a C/D 10Best but didn't even make Finalist for COTY... but Elantra did.

... as their design is newer using newer materials.

So Hyundai uses, what, recycled parts on the Elantra? :confuse: The Mazda3, except the new Skyactiv drivetrain, is much older than the Elantra. The Focus is just a few months "newer" than the Elantra.
  • mikeystoy5mikeystoy5 Member Posts: 56
    Yes mine does have the Tech. & Nav. system. The sreen for MPG, Miles to Go, E/T, etc are located between the speedo an tach towards the top in a window, and the Idiot lights an all on under them in a seperate window. The contol to switch it is located on the steering wheel on the right side, opposite from the Blue Tooth switches. Mines a 2011 GLS, if that matters. Maybe 2012 are differenrt, I don't know, haven't looked at one.
    edited December 2011
    No need to be defensive. This isn't personal. :)
    "Recycled" parts?
    Are you attributing that to any of my comments?

That specific "parts" I am referring to as the parts used to design the suspension, which is what I was discussing in relation to 'parts'.
    Yes, the materials and parts used in the Focus and Mazda 3 are of newer and better design. Full independent multi-link suspensions are of a better design than torsion beam.

COTY is fine, but it in now way is used to make a comparison among the cars in it's class. A new Chevy Malibu can win COTY if it's new enough and it's design is a departure from what it used to. So it the design is unique enough it can win COTY.
    Still, COTY doesn't have bearing on whether or not the winner of the COTY is actually any better than the cars it competes with.

Still, the major auto publications have preferred the Focus and Mazda 3 over the Elantra. That doesn't mean anything as I said, because these cars are bought more for their utility than for their driving prowess.

I like this car for my sister and her family because of the space, ride, overall positive things it offers a young family where spending a lot of money for a competent car is not a priority.
    Now, if I were buying in this class of vehicle, that's a different story.
    I don't have to drive children around, and I value driving prowess over space and utility. I would go for the Focus or more so the Mazda 3 Skyactiv.
    Actually, I'm waiting for the Focus ST before I decide on my next automobile.
    The Hyundai Genesis Coupe is on my list as well. :)
    Very nice. I didn't notice it going those things. The screen didn't look like it had those readings, but I'm glad you let me know. Very nice.

I hope the non Nav/Tech Elantras have the same screen that's in between the tach and speedo.

I'm shopping the Chicago land area.
    I wasn't taking it personally. I was disagreeing with your post.

Also I tend to think of MT as a "major auto publication". YMMV.

I am also looking at the Focus and Elantra as candidates for my next car, but others as well e.g. Accent and Impreza. Hard to beat $17.3k MSRP for a pretty well-equipped, good-looking, economical, roomy car like the Elantra GLS 6MT. (Although the Accent GS is about $2000 less and has hatchback utility... which the Focus and Impreza offer also but for more bucks). Not looking for a Gen coupe as I do need a usable back seat sometimes. But that would be fun.
    No need to add more words to what's already there.

If the Accent size can work for you, look at the Chevy Sonic, especially the hatchback. It's pretty cool.
    A little too cool for me. I like the Accent better than the Sonic... better FE, looks better inside and out to me (although I like the headlamps on the Sonic), longer warranty, and a loaded hatch with a 6MT is only $16.5k. Sonic is a huge improvement over the Aveo though.
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    edited December 2011
    Speaking of the Accent, I stopped by my local Hyundai dealer and the best looking car on the lot was a hatchback. It was a 2012 Accent 5-door in black with 16" alloys. Really a sharp car but I had never seen one!

I'm just curious what your selling price was, I basically got the same car but with the addition of the Homelink mirror ,also 15k a year but my payment is $262.00 a month, based on a selling price of $18,000, $559.00 down (1st mth payment and fees) I live in NYC....I know the taxes are a little higher here I'm just wondering about the $23.00 difference.
  • atlanticoneatlanticone Member Posts: 19
    That $17K out the door must have been with a trade in. There is no way that any dealer is selling the elantra at $15K. I work at the largest volume Hyundai dealership in the country and the lowest it can go is around $18200 + tax, DMV.
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    i agree,with the elantra in such high demand right now and selling like hot-cakes purchasing one for $15,000.00 would be very unlikley.
    Did i read this correctly??msrp for the elantra was $19,700.00 and you got it for $15,400.00???....was there any trade-in involved???
  • 2010_crv_exl2010_crv_exl Member Posts: 19
    I'm looking at a 2010 Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan with under 20k miles for my 17yr old son. He'd use it for a year, then pass it on to sister#1; who would then pass down to sister#2.

I need to determine a price to offer - and this is what I've done.

Checking a few websites, I found that the 'same' car transacted new for 13,900 in Sep 10, two times in New Jersey (my location). So that is my reference point for 'new'.

A 36-month lease for this case would have a residual value around 65%, indicating the car value is expected to depreciate 35% over this period.

Two vehicles that I'm considering are 14 months old; so I assume value has gone down by (14/36)*35%. Both of them are recently off lease or rental; not sure which. Both have about 16k miles. If the mileage were higher, I'd appy a 15 cent/mile penalty to my estimate value. The penalty varies, but I saw 15% on a couple of lease offerings.

Both vehicles are certified 'used' cars - meaning the warranty is extended (as I understand it). One dealer quoted me $500 as the cost of 'certification'.

Here are the numbers:

Original Cost: 13,900
    Depreciation: -1,800 = 13,900 * (14/36) * 35%
    =====
    Current Value: 12,100
    Certification Fee + 500
    =====
    Value of Vehicle 12,508

So, I'd offer $12,500..

Given this is the worst economy in 80 years, do you think this is reasonable?

What's your thoughts?
  • drew11mdrew11m Guest Posts: 85
    Hey anyone got any info on a trade-in value on a 2011 Elantra Limited (no nav), indigo blue pearl, 15K miles, tires are good, in VG condition easily. Blue book values it at 18200.

I had one dealer offer me 17500 (i had bought it from that dealer). Another dealer tried to really lowball me at 16. Considering that a 2011 GLS from a rental car company is selling on dealer lots for 18,500, im thinking im getting an ok deal from the first dealer and a BS deal from the second (told them that too)

Looking to trade-in to Hyundai for a 2012 Accent SE hatchback, preferably in manual transmission.
    (which arent easy to find)

Want to make sure I don't get hosed. Has anyone else had a dealer request a certain car from Hyundai and how long did it take?

Thanks@!
    hi drew,i have some info that might be helpful.i have a 2011 elantra gls base model with auto and only 5000 miles on the clock.iam looking to trade up to a 2012 hyundai sonata since my girlfriend is haveing a baby soon and we need the bigger car.recently,my local hyundai dealer down here in north miami florida where i purchased the elantra from last summer offered me $16,500.00 on a trade-in.the elantra is in mint condition and since i paid $17,500.00 for it i think his trade-in offer is pretty good.the elantra down here in south florida is selling like hot-cakes so the dealers are giveing top dollar for trade-in's.
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    Your numbers look good except that cars depreciate more in the 1st year than any other...I'd offer $11K. $12K would be a good price OTD.

Don't offer what you expect to pay. Go low. Real low.
    It's true that cars depreciate most in their first year, except the past two years have been a time of rising prices for small cars. So I think it's unrealistic to expect to get a 2010 Elantra with under 20k miles for $11k + T&L.

I checked KBB, and it has a private party price on a 2010 GLS with automatic and 20k miles to be just under $13k, in Very Good condition. At retail it's just under $15k (but in Excellent condition). KBB shows 60 2010 Elatra GLSes in my area, but only 3 have under 20k miles. One is $13k, another $14k, and another $15k. For slightly higher miles, around 30k, there's a few cars listed near $12k.

So given this is the end of the year, it might be possible to get a 2010 GLS with less than 20k miles for around $12k + T&L, or one with 30k miles for $11k-11.5k. Depends on how badly they want to make a sale before year-end. You can always offer a low-ball price, e.g. a couple thousand under asking price, and negotiate up.

One thing: Try to get a car built in December 2010 or later. Those have improved side crash protection compared to 2010s made earlier.
  • sarah2175sarah2175 Member Posts: 76
    Is the Sonata that much bigger then the 2011 Elantra? I have a 2011 Elantra as well....I'm surprised you need an upgrade. The Elantra has plenty of room for a baby....
  • davinder07davinder07 Member Posts: 1
    Got an offer from the dealer in Harrisburg, PA for a 2012 base automatic elantra for 17,430 before taxes and fees. Was wondering if i can get a better deal elsewhere or considering a civic.
    Steven, that helps a lot actually. The VG range of the 11 Elantra Limited with 15K miles is 18200 and the good range is 17600. So I think all things considered its a decent trade value at 17500 if you are getting a 16500 offer for yours. Dealerships are never going to offer full value.
    Mine has over 10K more miles. The good thing though, is having a trade-in worth more than the car i want will get me a couple hundred back and saves almost 1000 on taxes.

The dealer that offered me 16000 was one of those typical high-volume pressuring screw the customer out of value dealerships. I told them that price value was ridiculous, and the salesman went to check again and the sales manager was firm, hoping I'd say yes. So I walked out.

So thanks for the input!!

I talk to my dealer on Tuesday, hopefully he is able to get my new Accent SE manual transmission from another city and get it shipped up to my city.
    According to what I looked at on True Car, thats not bad at all for a base GLS with auto. A few hundred more than dealer cost.

Especially if that has some of the options on it like ipod, carpeted floor mats, etc.
  • mikewallace1mikewallace1 Member Posts: 24
    I wouldn't say I got a good deal - probably just average with the way these cars are selling. It's very hard to find a specific model with the options you are looking for.

I paid 21,500 which was about 400 under MSRP after all the factory install options and a spare tire kit.
    I got an offer of $17,450 for 2012 Elantra 4dr Sdn Auto (Alabama Plant) Silver/Gray CargoNet CarpetFloorMats MudGuards; Expect at year end, I can do better; but that is yet to be determined. Wait until Dec 31 to cut your best deal.
    is this for a base gsl model?? sounds like the dealers are giveing better discounts where as a several month's ago they would not move from the msrp.
    yes - base gls. conditions change with supply and demand. current trend appears to be more supply than demand. the economy is still bad and there is the past xmas lull. these are times for only buying good deals. msrp is not a good deal. make your calls toward the end of this week/year and see what you can negotiate. I've been trying to get a handle on pricing the past week. So far seems base gls pricing is: ~$12.5k for 2010 w/ <20k mi.; ~$15.5k for 2011 w/ <10k mi.; and ~17.5k for 2012. A low mileage 2010 seems the best deal.
    Take a look at Faulkner Hyundai's website for 'year' end/begining pricing data. Looks like they've a "Fun Day" sale on Jan 2. It's a confirmation that deals are available.
  • rayder1979rayder1979 Member Posts: 5
    Hey everyone... I just used the Fighting Chance program (www.fightingchance.com). I called 15 dealers within 30 miles (I'm in MD), and got an OTD proposal from 11 of them (4 refused to participate). My lowest offer was $19,600 (before taxes and fees), about $21,600 out the door.

I got them down to $19,300 (before taxes and fees) for a total of $21,300 out the door.

This is the basic Limited - no navi or homelink.

Is this a pretty good deal?
  • eweinereweiner Member Posts: 36
    edited December 2011
    I think you should see it as follows:

1. You asked 15 dealers and got todays low phone price. Seems like a reasonable price given the ease at which you can get "Internet Pricing" these days

2. To get a better deal you have to go to the dealers start negotiating and then be willing to walk out on them (telling them you have other options). Bring your phone research and show it to them so they know you have done your homework and are willing to go elsewhere.

3. Come up with a price you like ( go lower than your think is acceptable to them)

4. Negotiate from there

Which dealer in MD/DC/VA gave you the lowest phone offer (would help me out as I too am in the market for the same car)?
    i paid 19500 for my limited no nav last January, so thats a pretty good base price for the car before TTL.
    my girlfriend just got a quote for a 2012 elantra limited with leather and sunroof and compass mirror with no navigation for $19,000.00..msrp was $21,620.00..plus TTT and fee's.this is a great price and i think the reason is because she has purchased several cars from this particular hyundai dealership over the past several years and also because it's the end of the month as well..the color is red allure with the beige interior.looks very nice..she has purchased a tiburon,sonata,and a elantra from this dealership and that's why she's getting a great price...
    Thanks for posting prices.
    That is the most valuable service you can provide forum members.
    Including any significant fees are helpful (i.e. doc fee) as well as the state.

Between now and Jan 3rd, expect to be able to negotiate the best deals.

Keep posting!
    I just bought the vehicle - Alexandria Hyundai was the lowest offer on the phone and even came down another $300. Out the door was $21,700. Limited including floor mats, cargo net and the iPod hookup. Very pleased - $1300 under invoice!
    Typo on my note... OTD price was $21,300, not $27,700. Apologies.
    hello,iam interested in the same car down here in south florida.what was the final negotiated price before TTT???
    It is clear there are year-end dealer incentives on the Elantra - NOW.

I expect to have most success with volume dealers - but don't rule out the smaller ones as they have relationships.

My calculations suggest I can get an Elantra for ~90% of MSRP between now and Jan 3rd.
    i.e. if MSRP is 20,000, then target 18,000.

Yes, that is below dealer invoice - but don't worry about them - they're receiving (hidden) incentives from Hyundai.

By the way, the 90% does not include other programs - such as loyalty/recent graduate.

Keep posting your transaction prices.
    i agree.my girlfriend just purchased today down here in north miami florida a 2012 hyundai elantra limited with leather and sunroof and without navigation for $19,000.00 plus TTT....msrp was $21,620.00..we went to look at it a few days ago and she wanted to check around with other dealers during that time to see if they can match the price and they couldn't..it's allure red with the beige interior and dealer threw in free tinting and pin-stripes..So overall in my opinion she did very well..traded in her 2010 elantra.
  • mikewallace1mikewallace1 Member Posts: 24
    I guess I didn't do too good.

I wish I would have found this site earlier.

Although I called 5 dealers within 40 miles and none of them had one on the lot.