Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    I wouldn't worry about it, as you discovered it often times comes down to supply and demand, if the vehicles are moving in one location and stock is down you are going to pay more than others where the supply is more plentiful.
  • rayder1979rayder1979 Member Posts: 5
    Every market is different - and the prices vary by dealership, sometimes by the week. A dealership quoting you the most expensive price one week may be the lowest in a week or two, and vice versa. To maximize your chances, call as many dealerships in your market as you can and try to go at the end of the month. A dealer may be willing to take a loss on a vehicle to hit a bonus from the manufacturer. I recommend that everyone check out www.fightingchance.com.
  • jmhjpjmhjp Member Posts: 11
    I'm in south florida and going to a hyundai dealer tomorrow. I've been dealing with differents car dealers for weeks but none of them can match any price that you guys are saying.
    I don't want to overpay for my new car. The prices that they gave me were by emails or phone , but still they didn't offer me a good price.

2012 ELANTRA limited with nav
    $23499 *plus tax, tag, and title $25.000

2012ELANTRA Limited without nav $21995 *plus tax, tag, and title

Please help me guys..Anyone in south florida can give me more information to get the best price?? I'm dealing with Rick Case Hyundai
  • 2010_crv_exl2010_crv_exl Member Posts: 19
    I adapted the fighting chance approach about a year and a half ago when i needed to get a honda crv for my wife. The approach was similar, email as many dealers as you want - in as many geographic areas as you're willing to consider. The email specifies exactly what you are looking for; requesting a price. Some responses provide prices; others want to become friends (come visit); ignore the latter; take the best price; resend the email (same recipients) stating your lowest price is xxx. Repeat this process until you find fewer responses and/or less price improvement. Eventually you'll have 'price discovery'; At that point, decide if you want to buy from the lowest price dealer (who may be quite a distance away), or, contact local dealers; again via email; stating you will purchase at that price; i found a local dealer who came close enough; Elapsed time was ~3 weeks;
    I understand current incentives include:

400 MILITARY DISCOUNT - SHOW YOUR ID
    500 LOYAL CUSTOMER DISCOUNT - CURRENT HYUNDAI OWNER

I'd guess your girlfriend qualified for one/both of these.

If I assume just the loyalty discount, then her price was 19,500, which is comparable to the 'fighting chance' result.

I tried carwoo.com .
    Set my zip to Harrisburg PA.
    Only 2 offers received.
    Best: 19,988 for limited (mats;cargonet;ipodcable;rearbumperapplique;wheellocks)
    Wouldn't budge.

Had another internet offer for limited with same options plus sunroofdeflector: 20,200
    Wouldn't budge.

I translate this information into percentage of MSRP numbers as follows:

Carwoo Dealer1 Girlfriend
    MSRP 21650 21695 21620
    Offer 19988 20285 19500
    %MSRP 92.32 93.50 90.19

This way, when I talk to a dealer, I just ask the MSRP, and apply the lowest %MSRP number I have to determine if it is reasonable.

Assume a dealer showed me an elantra limited with MSRP 22000.
    Best (lowest) %MSRP above is 90.19, so I'd target a price of 19842.
    (90.19% of 22000)

Again - it's just a reference point.
  • adubeyadubey Member Posts: 1
    A 2012 Hyundai Elantra Limited with Technology Package, Carpeted Floor Mats and Auto dimming mirrors for $ $21,731 documentation, title fees & sales tax extra - Is this a good deal? Need advice? What would this cost out the door in CA Bay area.
  • rayder1979rayder1979 Member Posts: 5
    Again - every market is different, and every dealership will have different circumstances at different times. Today, Saturday, 12/31 might literally be the best day to buy a car all year. I contacted 15 dealers in the DC area and told them to send me their price for an Elantra Limited, no navigation. 11 responded, and 4 I considered competitive. The OTD estimates ranged from $21,500 on the low end to $22,600 on the high end. I got the lowest bidder down to $21,300 OTD.
  • ictblueeyzictblueeyz Member Posts: 2
    Got mine yesterday.......black with gray leather interior, moon roof, heated seats, bluetooth, everything pretty much except navigation system. 21,200....i think MSRP was 23, 125. Traded my 2005 PT Cruiser so i'm happy!
  • ictblueeyzictblueeyz Member Posts: 2
    oh...carpeted floor mats, Ipod cable/connections, cargo net.....there's so much, just can't remember it all. Wichita, KS Schofield Hyundai West.
    2012 Elantra Touring GLS A/T
    Preferred Pkg
    FloorMats
    CargoNet
    CargoTray
    RearBumperProtector
    RoofRack

MSRP: 19455
    Price: 17800 includes doc fee, not TTL
    Percent of MSRP: 91.4931894
  • tturbotturbo Member Posts: 16
    Hi Steven,

This may be coming late as you may have purchased already.
    We too thought that maybe the Sonata would be better as it is a larger car and has more room, plus it has more power from it's 4cyl engine.

Yet, the Elantra is very roomy for a family of 4.
    The kids are 4 and 6 and the rear room for them in the Elantra is great. They love it back there as it's very airy and roomy. No complaints from the kids at all.

Of course your desires and expectations may be different than my sisters family.
    The decision to go with the Elantra Limited instead of the Sonata is due to getting more features and options for the money.
    We got the Limited with no NAV. So, it's pretty loaded with heated leather seats. We paid $100 over actual invoice. At the price of the Elantra limited we got a pretty loaded Elantra where as that money would have bought a nice but base Sonata.
    For the money you get more room in the Sonata, more power, and less MPG. Basically it came down to wanting or needing the size, or wanting all the added "luxury" features with better MPG.
    The power from the Elantra is pretty good as it has to move less weight than the Sonata.

For those wondering about pricing, we got a 2012 Elantra Limited, no NAV, with floor mats and the dimming rear view mirror.
    I asked to see the invoice. We dealt directly with the sales manager and the owner happened by as well. I offered invoice and that we would by that evening. We settled on $100 over invoice nothing more. And, they sold us a set of mudguards for their price, which is about $40. BTW, you can get the mudguards at that price just look on the web for them.
    I'm going to install the mudguards myself. I looked and it's very easy. It's all predrilled and it's just a matter of removing about 3 pins/clips per corner, put the guard on, and put the pins/clips back in.

The level of demand to supply has shifted. There is pretty good supply right now and demand has slowed, especially during the winter. $100 over invoice should be pretty easy to get, and if you stick to walking out if needed, you might be able to do a couple hundred under invoice, especially for a car that's on the lot.
    The Elantra we wanted was not in stock. We wanted a limited in gray with black leather. They had to go get the car and that's why we paid $100 over. I know the dealer has to send someone to pick it up so $100 was reasonable.
    Doc fee was about $130 and that varies state to state and even county.

So far the Elantra has been great!
  • phxdavephxdave Member Posts: 25
    edited January 2012
    Please comment on this "deal". I think the price is not bad, but not super for the end of the year.
    I was there Saturday and walked out, now they are calling about car on the lot.

Elantra GLS Automatic invoice 16,867
    Preferred package, Homelink mirror, mats, cargo net 889
    Regional ad fees 182
    destination fees 762
    TOTAL factory invoice 18,698 (MRSP sticker 19,200)

Here comes the haggling: manager is offering as a "gift" 1/2 of holdback (-275) and "free" tint (they charge $300 but I would value as -100). My problem is their doc fee which "is build in the price structure" and "can't be changed" whopping $400.
    So the asking out of door price (IMHO the doc fee shall be included in the sum) is 18,723 which is "poor" 97.5% of MRSP and basically the invoice. Compared to other posters here who went down to 91% this is no great deal.
    I really do not need the car now, wife likes it, and only our ancient PT Cruiser and Ford Expedition which can die any moment we need a new car.

So shall I count the doc fee into the out the door price ?
    Also, $306 for license fee, shall I handle this by myself or would I pay the same amount (manager says..).
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    tell the manager to take his "gift"and stick it where the sun don't shine and since we are on the internet that's my big white behind.you can do better elsewhere.
  • marlenelinmarlenelin Member Posts: 87
    I think that is quite high. I have the exact same car in the 2011 version that I bought last January, and out the door cost was $16,500. The 2011 version was out for only three weeks at the time, and mine came straight off the truck the day I bought it. My tax was minimal since I was trading a 2009 touring that I got $12,500 for, so the car cost me $4,000 in dollars. Registration was $199. Marlene
    P.S. I love the car, but I rarely get 40 mpg.
  • eweinereweiner Member Posts: 36
    edited January 2012
    Folks, Out the Door means Tax and Tags included. Most dealers have moved to their own interpretation of OTD but I always stick to mine and offer with that in mind.

Since when should a buyer have to cover processing fees, ad fees, document prep? These are manufacture and sales costs not mine, and all can be negotiated away. Any offer you make should automatically remove them.

The only legitimate fees are Tax, Tags/Registration.

You have to be prepared to walk out when offering a drastic price offer that removes these fees. But it will work provided business is slow.

That said, I submit that the end of December is the worse time to buy.

There are too many buyers leaving you with no leverage. Jan and Feb are the 2 slowest months in the car business.

I did quote some prices this month and the best deal on a 2012 Limited with Nav, cargo mat, mats, net that I found: 21,900 plus Tax and Tags.

I have a trade so in maryland my tax would only be on the sale amount less the trade value.
    Rephrased - any offer you make should include include all fees prior to TTL.

Better yet, any offer you make should include all fees and addons you want prior to TTL.
    For example, the Hyundai Elantra extended warranty might normally cost you $1,200, but it may cost the dealer $500. If you think you want this, then you'll get your best price at the time you're making an offer.

I'd argue that Dec 31 is one of the best times to buy.
    Reasons include:
    - manufacturers offer dealers 'hidden' incentives
    - manufacturers offer consumers incentives
    - regional competition among dealers for 'hidden' rewards

Sure the showroom is crowded;
    people know there are deals to be had;
    they've identified high volume dealers;
    they've target dealers with lots of inventory;
    in a nutshell, they've done their homework;

The downside is that you may not find the vehicle you want; or not in the colors you want;

Regarding your quote for 21,900.
    Looking at truecar.com...
    ... MSRP is 23,450 and dealer cost 21,903.
    ... lowest tier recent sales data shows 42 transactions from 21,420-21,683.
    (supposedly transactions in last 90 days)
    You're quote isn't much over their lowest transacted price.
    As a % of MSRP, 21,900 is 93.39% - is not bad.

In my experience, I've found the best prices in the DC areas.
    I then find a local dealer who will meet/beat/come close.

Unquestionably, the most useful tool to use is the internet.
    Let your fingers do the walking and email do the talking.
    I disagree about the end of the year and submit that all of those and more will still be available in January and February. In this economy dealers are hurting.

If you had to have a holiday I'd wait for presidents day.

Thanks for the pricing stats.
    i also went to look at the same car at rick case about a month ago.they wouldn't move from the msrp so i left.wound up purchasing from lehman hyundai in north miami a 2012 elantra gls base model with auto for $17,500.00 which was a pretty good deal.iv'e purchased a few cars from this dealership over the past several years so that's why i got a pretty good deal.now that the elantra has won the "north american car of the year award" these cars will now be selling better than ever.
    Now that its been voted car of the year at the detroit auto show....deals will be harder.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Oh maybe a wee bit. But I think awards like that are mostly fodder for the carmakers' marketing machines. If the car already wasn't attracting attention, it might matter more. It is another feather in Hyundai's cap, however. That's two of these awards in the past four years for Hyundai.
  • puffin1puffin1 Member Posts: 276
    I don't think MSN knows much about cars,let alone the Elantra getting Car of the Year.
    Also, Land Rover getting Truck of the Year.So not many good deals on the Elantra.
    I drive a 2010 VW Golf from Nov untill I put my BMW on road in May.I never thought I'd ever own a VW .I thought they were junk. I love that car,it's a fun ride and I did a TCO on it and it cost me $11.00 a month to drive more than a Focus. It's a rocket, shifts good and standard lumbarand Bluetooth.I just turned 10 K yesterday. I paid $225.00 for winter pkg. I liked the Imprezda hatch ,but the gas wasn't so hot and I didn't like the boxer engine.
    The Mazda 3 HB grand Touing is a fun ride. The Focus only offers standard in the SE I think.If you go up you have to get the dry clutch,but it has an interfaced engine ,so you get a timing chain. Have a good one Puffin.
    I don't think MSN knows much about cars,let alone the Elantra getting Car of the Year.

Huh? What does MSN have to do with the North American COTY award?

Are you in the market for an Elantra?
    No Backy .MSN is my homepage and they listed the top ten cars of the year. The elantra was #1 and the Land rover was best truck,to me it's an SUV.
    Also, they noted Hyundai and the Focus might have a class action suit on account of false mpg claims.
    Puffin
  • sb123sb123 Member Posts: 5
    I have a new elantra..and really get the advertised mileage. I see no reason why there should be any action suit
    If the Elantra limited came in a HB,I'd buy one to morrow.
  • mikeystoy5mikeystoy5 Member Posts: 56
    I seen picks of the I30, which is available in Europe, and the one they showed was a hatchback, very nice looking too. From what the article said is it suppose to take the place of the Elantra Touring. I hope we see it here in 2013.
    If you can find some picks of the Geneva Auto Show, you might be able to see it, because that is where it was at.
    i can't understand for the life of me why there is such a wide margin of mpg between the elantra.i purchased my 2012 elantra over this past summer and i have gotten the advertised mpg right from the start while others haven't even come close.is it the drivers?or are some of the elantra's engines that different from the rest.as per my previous post,i just returned from a 400 mile roundtrip on the highway and i averaged about 43 mpg according to the trip computer in the car and i have 3,300 miles on the car.
    Thanks Mike I'm lookn'.
    Well, the United States for some reason and I've said this a hundred times on here is "Second Hand Rose" to the UK and the rest of Europe. When it comes to getting the good cars.
    Alot people are hoping for a certain Focus or VW. I think Hyundai listens better.
    The OP was talking about the North American COTY, not what MSN thinks are the top ten cars at any given instant (and as Rhett Butler said to Scarlett...).

But really all off topic re pricing of the Elantra. I did see though that Hyundai is already peppering the Web with ads re the NACOTY award. We'll see if that affects pricing at all. Sometimes I wish for the good old days when most people would not be caught dead driving a Hyundai... made for great deals for those of us who knew better. ;)
    edited January 2012
    I found the Hyundai I 30 touring Elantra. It looked excellent. Blue with white leather.I must say a pretty rich interior.I'd Like to know if I could get one with heated seats and a lumbar supprt. I'll have to check the touring limited sedan. Thanks Puffin
  • gatorsf12gatorsf12 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,
    I could use your input. Please help.
    I'm haggling over the price of a 2012 Elantra GLS PZEV with the preferred package on Carwoo.com with a couple of dealers.
    1st dealer started at $19070 and came down to $17,600 = $19,430 OTD
    2nd dealer started at $19360 and came down to $17625 = $19,450 OTD
    Are these poor, fair, good, great prices? What should I really be paying?
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    I bought my 2010 elantra gls auto in sept 2010 for $14000 +ttl. The prices on the hi mpg cars now are much higher (2012 elantra gls auto for $18500+?).

I'm getting prices on 2012 honda civic lx auto of about $16800 +ttl (including doc fee etc). This is about what it has always gone for (in southern ohio)

I'm sorry but an elantra gls isn't worth $18500, (a focus $18000?) a chevy cruze $16xxx?. I understand the Elantra winning awards this year but your going to have to pay up for it.

Honda is coming off a bad year, supply disruptions from Japan etc and seem willing to deal.

A Chevy is a Chevy, a Ford a Ford , and the Honda the same great quality it has been for the last 20 years.

I'd like to go with Hyundai again but even the Accent and Kia Rio seems to be $16000+

So I am seriously cosidering the Civic.

-j
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    Um... you may have to clarify what OTD is (taxes inc?). Taxes can vary from $1800 - $100 depending on state. A doc fee of 400 is just an addition to the price.

-j

1st dealer started at $19070 and came down to $17,600 = $19,430 OTD
  • sb123sb123 Member Posts: 5
    Looks good to me cuz i paid 17450 for GLS without preferred
  • gatorsf12gatorsf12 Member Posts: 2
    Offer Ppice of 17,600
    Plus: Title/Registration: $291.00
    Reflectorized License ...: $1.00
    Air Quality Management...: $6.00
    Alt Fuel/Tech Smog Fee: $8.00
    Smog High Polluter Rep...: $6.00
    Fingerprint ID Fee: $1.00
    County Service Authori...: $1.00
    Original Smog Abatement: $6.00
    California Highway Patrol: $22.00
    Alt Fuel/Tech Reg Fee: $3.00
    Abandoned Vehicle Fee: $1.00
    Auto Theft and/or DUI ...: $1.00
    Vehicle License Fee: $204.16
    Tax & Total
    State Sales Tax $1,540.00
    Estimated Total $19,431.00
  • sungirl7sungirl7 Member Posts: 4
    Please help! I am in Tampa Bay area. Want a Elantra Limited without nav. Best price I can find is MSRP $20,445 and dealers cost is $19,584. Dealer adds $150 advertising,$775 for freight and handling. Total $20,909 plus TTT. OTD $22,777. This is"preferred pricing", but believe I can't mention with what co. NOT happy about extra dealer charges. Other 2 dealers charging $20,705 with $530 processing charge, excluding TTT. Can't get these dealers to remove extra charges. Trying for 3.5 weeks! Is this good/fair?
    me and a friend of mine recently looked at the same car for him down here in hollywood,fla.2012 elantra limited without nav.msrp was $20,445.00 and the dealer would not move an inch from the price saying that these cars are selling like hot-cakes now.i guess the fact that the 2012 hyundai elantra was recently voted the 2012 north american car of the year will make getting a deal on the elantra that much harder to come by..my brother lives off of dale mabry in tampa also.
  • reds_momreds_mom Member Posts: 2
    I bought my 2012 Elantra Limited in OCT ... went to two dealers ... knew what I was willing to pay but was not happy with the features (cargo net, wheel locks, ipod cable, cargo tray, floor mats). Regardless, I paid $21,320 OTD. Have not installed the wheel locks and the cargo net is bogus ... but I LOVE my car.
    Everyone wants to know if a dealer offer is good or not and thats not the approach I would take.

When you find the car you want, give the sales person your offer. Calculate Invoice for the car + frieght, add $100 and submit.

Also give them your information (be sure you can qualify for a loan) and then leave the dealership. Tell the sales person to call you when they are ready to sell at that price. Understand that they will call you at some point with an offer. Hear it out. Have some additional concessions in mind like free mats, or service etc. Counter or be firm.

The goal is to have them persue you. Note that you are bidding on a popular car so there are plenty of folks willing to pay full price. Your call may not come immediately. Be patient.

If you need to move more quickly pay a service like "Washington Checkbook" to find you a deal. Let them negotiate.
    Why make a firm offer at $100 over invoice? In many cases, there are incentives available to the dealer that bring their cost far below invoice.

IMO it's best to buy low, sell high. So an initial firm offer to buy should be lower than my target price. Also likely lower than the dealer will sell for. But you never know until you ask. They can always say "no", and counter-offer. But they might say yes, or their counter-offer might be lower than invoice.

But if you aren't comfortable negotiating with a dealer, by all means find someone else like a buying service to do it for you. Or buy from a "no hassle" dealership, if you like their price.
    Why should I pay freight charges? I think it is their cost of them to do business? Same with advertising junk fees. They are adding $400plus for mats, cargo net, etc. which I believe is bogus. I have to agree with guy who posted after you--they have other incentives. I just want to be fair too. I'll pay even a little over invoice, but not these crazy fees! HUGE volume membership co. pricing was the worst--they can't even negotiate. Is it Florida?
    Help!! I am doing what everyone says, but all 3 dealers aren't moving!! Going to Toyota and Honda today. Need car this week.
    If you still want an Elantra after shopping Honda and Toyota (and check out the Sentra, Focus, Mazda3, and Cruze also, good discounts available there), take your best offer from the other dealerships to the Hyundai dealer and tell them they need to at least meet the other offer or they will lose a customer. Most dealerships don't like to lose a sale to a competitor. It might encourage them to make you a better offer.
  • mikeystoy5mikeystoy5 Member Posts: 56
    Just a note. all manufactures , regardless, GM, FORD, CHRYSLER, TOYOTA, all of them charge frieght. They have to pay mostly contractors to deliver the cars to the dealer, so they add the freight charge, which stays the same, don't matter if it's 2 blocks up the street or across the country, the frieght charge is the same. As far as the other accessories, they can be negotiated. Plus with Hyundai, you get a tank of gas, and gas varies across the country. So, you might feel your getting ripped off, but I doubt very seriously if you are, also when I bought my Elantra GLS, whatever I put down, the dealer matched, and that wasn't advertised, so I got a $20,250 with nav.(2011) for $17200 an it came with floor mats, wheel locks installed an I-Pod cable. Just depends on the dealer. I got mine in April and love it.
  • fidofidofidofido Member Posts: 2
    Please help! Got an offer from dealer for a color I've been waiting for here in Southern California for two months. It's not the cheapest advertised price, but considering no dealer even has the white Elantra in our area, I think it's okay unless I want to wait even longer.

Should I move forward or wait for a better deal and how much better can I realistically get? Have no idea if or when more colors are coming. Mostly just silvers, grays and blacks here.

MSRP: $19,070 (only want mats, other stuff is junk, don't even want the bumper applique)
    PRICE: $18,305 ($250 under invoice)
    TAX: $1,600
    FEES: $285
    OTD: $20,190

Pre-ordering with a deposit. Thanks for any input!
    I paid @$22,500 OTD for Limited in Clearwater,FL. Not thrilled. MSRP $20,445, but bottom total price $21,700. Add ons--not sure legitamite, but . . . Went to 4 dealers. Tried for 3 wks, buit needed a car.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    If you recently considered a hybrid but decided on a fuel-efficient non-hybrid instead, please email pr@edmunds.com by Friday, February 3, 2011 to share your story.
    Please include your daytime contact information and a few words about the decision you made.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• phxdavephxdave Member Posts: 25
    Very similar pricing for last 2 months in Phoenix. I tried end of the year and today again. Can't get them to remove a $400 documentation fee.

Will pass.

Elantra GLS w/ preferred package plus mirror, mats, net, tint
    E-quote $18,250
    Doc $398.75

Tax $1638.38
    Plate $306.75
    OTD $20,593.88
  • goose56goose56 Member Posts: 9
    edited February 2012
    I went to Mass, Conn and ended up in my home state in RI. I have been waiting for a month for a silver gls w/ preferred pkg I got a price of 17,600 w/ 16 " alloy wheels.I want to know did I get a good price and should I ask for mud flaps and carpeted mats for the wait? The price includes destination and documentation fees.
  • kira08kira08 Member Posts: 6
    Here's the price paid, $19,200 OTD in NJ area for Hyundai Elantra GLS + preferred. Took advantage of the 1.9 % loan for 3 years. Car has carpeted floor mats+cargo net+mud gaurds+window etching. Didn't specifically ask for any of the add ons, as its on the car sticker they have to give it with it. Started off from $18,500 OTD for the dealer quote of $21,600 OTD. Did the test drive and then the negotiations started, took a good 5 hr to drive off the lot with the car finishing all the formalities.

here's the approximate breakdown, price of the car $17,395 with 7% tax of $1217 + taxes titles and documentation to overall $19,200.