Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• goose56goose56 Member Posts: 9
    I did 19,046 otd including 7% sales tax and 3 yr 1.83 % plus wheel locks, floor mats,mud guards, cargo net, bumper guard and ipod cable. I guess I did ok!!! I got $ 200 doc fee!! Thanks for responding.
  • muzrinmuzrin Member Posts: 8
    Hi goose56,

Could you pls share which dealership this was ?
  • goose56goose56 Member Posts: 9
    Tarbox in East Greenwich RI, I hope this helpful!
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    thanks for the info.one other thing that the elantra has over the sonata is very good resale value.And your right the elantra's interior is pretty roomy as i think it's classified as a mid-size.plus the elantra is a nicer looking car than the sonata.
  • nziernzier Member Posts: 2
    I've been doing quite a bit of research into buying a certified used 2011 Hyundai Elantra in the Missouri/Illinois/Iowa area. I've been doing quite a bit of reading on here as well as on other websites.

I am trying to determine why a 2011, 20k miles GLS is being posted at almost retail value (between 17-19k). I've got financing in line where I can afford roughly 15.5 pre-TTL. Looking for recommendations on where to start the bidding, yes I've read the articles, and how to approach the situation as a whole. I was contemplating an offer of 14.5 to start. Going to go look at one in two weeks and see if it's truly the vehicle I am looking for.

Anybody recently bought a 2011 used Elantra? What did you pay, how did you go about the negotiations? Anything would be useful.

Thanks in advance.
  • drew11mdrew11m Guest Posts: 85
    Prices are a bit crazy right now.

My local dealer is selling a 15K mileage GLS for 18,900. Certified i believe,

They are offering me 17500 for my 11 Limited (no nav) as a trade in on a new Accent SE. It has 17000 miles on it, so its not bad of an offer, but they will turn around and sell it for 19000.

Basically the Elantra is hot right now, used car values are higher across the board. It's almost cheaper to buy new. Dont think they are really eager to cut deals either,

I'd take a look at the Accent. Only 5ftlbs torque difference and 10hp between that and the Elantra. And you can get a nice GLS new for 15-16K.
    right now the hyundai elantra is a hot car and in much demand.the fact that it just won the 2012 car of the year doesn't hurt either.even used elantra's such as the one you were referring to go for top dollar regardless of mialage.just as a example here of the great resale value that this car has.i have a 2012 hyundai elantra gls base model that i purchased in august 2011.i have about 4500 miles on the car.my selling hyundai dealer who sold me the car recently told me that they would give me what i paid for the car which was full msrp.$18,500.00 towards a new sonata that i was inquiring about.shows you how much in demand that the elantra is.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I know you didn't ask, but if you find the prices on the 2011 Elantra intolerable you might try the 2010 (not as slick as the 2011 but still a very nice car) or a 2010 Sentra. I think you have a much better shot at $14k with one of those.
  • nziernzier Member Posts: 2
    I suppose the prices are crazy. I guess I could just wait a couple more months and buy a new one. I'll probably still test drive the one I've been looking at and throw in an offer.

I've thought about looking into other model years but friends who have worked in the industry state that having the more up to date style is often important in future resale/trade-in value.

Thanks for the responses, guess I'll give it a go and see if I can get anybody to move on the price.
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    Check the warranty on the used vs the new Elantra. IIRC only the new carries the 10 year, 100K mile powertrain warranty. I don't think that applies to the second owner. The base 5 year, 60K mile B-B warranty (or remainder) should carry over to a second owner on a used Hyundai.
    I would seriously take a look at the Accent. Great little car and in your price range. Like a slightly smaller elantra
    iam a bit curius here.why would you want to downgrade from a elantra to a accent??..your supposed to go forwards not backwards.
    I don't consider it a downgrade at all.

For me the accent SE hatch is a better looking car than the elantra. And new, costs 2-3k less.

I'd rather pay less for a slightly smaller car that has only 10hp and 5lbft torque less engine but is several hundred pounds lighter.

In the GLS trim it has the same features, just no nav option

Given the high cost of new and used Elantras at the moment, seemed like a decent option for the original poster.

I have an 11 elantra limited which I'm trading for the Accent SE. Getting better gas mileage, a new car, a stick shift, and around 800 cash back is an upgrade IMO. I didn't love my Elantra.

But if the OP is set on a new series Elantra, the budget will be an issue.
  • alex148alex148 Member Posts: 2
    just got a 2012 limited for 20,000 +tt. MSRP 21,500 Philadelphia area. Probably could've done better as others posted lower prices paid but it seems like a lot of people are willing to pay even more. This site has been very helpful. Thanks!
  • gman4911gman4911 Member Posts: 43
    edited February 2012
    I'm in NoVA and I just picked up a 2012 Elantra GLS w/ Package 3 and extra factory add-ons that I didn't want (Ipod cable, rear bumper applique, cargo net, cargo tray, mud guards, floor mats) so the dealer 'gave' them to me. Riiiight. MSRP was $19,355. My price was $19200 OTD which included 3% sales tax, $390 dealer processing fee, $110 registration, title, and other miscellaneous fees. Not too happy about the dealer processing fee but I still think I did Ok overall.

Another dealer near me (supposedly #1 in the area based on units sold) has been listing additional dealer markups of $800 on the stickers. Don't know if people are actually paying it though. I got mine from the #2 dealer. What's interesting is that even though they can't keep them in stock, they aren't charging additional dealer markups either.

Anybody else think Hyundai's invoices are bogus and more of a marketing tactic to make people think they're getting a good deal? The margins just seem very small compared to the other mfrs.
    edited February 2012
    Dang. Just read an earlier post where someone's price was $1000 under invoice from the same dealer I used. Mine was only $500. :cry:

I guess I should've negotiated harder. Or just quit reading this thread.
    what was the final negotiated price before TTT and fees??
    edited February 2012
    >>>what was the final negotiated price before TTT and fees??

I negotiated from an OTD price which, in hindsight, I probably should not have done. Since TTT and fees are fixed, it would've given me a better picture of how much of a discount I was getting.

Anyways, the invoice price reported by Edmunds is $18641, the bill of sale indicated the sale price was $18143. On paper, that's ~$500 off invoice, but in my mind, my real discount was only ~$200 off invoice because I was 'forced' to take the factory add-ons. I don't know...maybe they did that intentionally to throw my numbers off?
  • sungirl7sungirl7 Member Posts: 4
    In St. Petersburg, FL I paid $20,500 plus TTT and dealer fee for a Limited. I shopped 4 dealers in the area. Initially, I purchased it at Fitzgerald in Clearwater for the same price, but the dealership played finance games and I returned the car 2 weeks later. (changed all the finance terms) This appears to be a common problem with local woman at the Fitzgerald dealership. CRAZY!
  • craftyk9craftyk9 Member Posts: 3
    Sounds like I didn't get as good of a deal as many of you, but I just bought a 2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS automatic (no preferred package) with the auto-dimming mirror, mats, and iPod adapter plus others I don't remember off the top of my head.

Sale Price: $18,100
    Trade-in: -$525
    (I had a cheapo trade-in that I was lucky to get $525 for)
    Documentary fee: $75
    State and Local Taxes (MN): $1,162.38
    Total License and Fees: $539.50

Delivered Price (OTD): $19,351.88
    Had I not had the trade-in, it would have been close to 20K.

Sounds like many of you got the preferred package included on a price like this. I thought I was still getting a good deal since many of the websites said I was still under the invoice price. Bummer.
    hi crafty, i have to agree with you here in that you didn't get a very good deal at all.my girlfriend down here in hollywood florida just purchased a few weeks ago a 2012 elantra gls with the prefered package for $17,600.00..no trade-in involved plus TTT....i guess it might depend on what area of the country you live in to get the best deals and also where supply and demand are the highest.
    Well, I guess at this point the car isn't in yet and I've only given them a deposit. I'm still going to do some searching to see if I can find a better deal somewhere else then. I guess I should be grateful I didn't drive the car home yesterday!

Thanks for the info steven39.
  • phxvickphxvick Member Posts: 2
    I am also looking for GLS with preferred package and got similar quote from one of the dealer today in Phoenix. If we go together and buy 2 cars, will they bulge and give better pricing? If it is possible do me offline ping and we can talk about it :)
    edited March 2012
    Well, doing a bit of research helped a bit. My car is the 2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS with Automatic transmission without the preferred package, but includes the floor mats, cargo net, auto-dimming mirror, iPod cable , and rear bumper protector.

Here is what the new info should be like when I sign papers again and I didn't qualify for any of the incentives going on right now (military and graduation):

MSRP: $18,815
    Sale Price: $17,919
    Trade-in: -$525
    Documentary fee: $75
    State and Local Taxes (MN): $1,150.41
    Total License and Fees: $533.94

Delivered Price (OTD): $19,153.35

I ended up saving about $200 which is better than nothing and is fine by me. I really don't understand how people are getting better deals than this. Maybe things are different here in MN than in Florida or Virginia, but this was as good as it got where I'm at. I'm happy for those of you who got a better deal. I'm dumbfounded, but extremely happy that you found them.

Hopefully this will help someone out with their pricing. Good luck!
    edited March 2012
    >>>I really don't understand how people are getting better deals than this.

Different dealer, different levels of greed. I mentioned in one of my earlier posts that one dealer near me is adding $800 dealer markup because the car is so hot. But, I don't know if people are actually paying it or if the dealer is using it to give customers the illusion that they're getting a good deal by paying retail. I know I wouldn't pay it.
    in 1986 i had one of the first hyundai exel cars that was sold in this country when i lived in california at the time.at that time they couldn't give hyundai cars away to anybody thats how bad they were.now we are talking about adding 800 bucks to the price of a hyundai car because it is a hot seller.25 years ago i would have laughed in your face about this.i guess hyundai has come a long way since those early days and you have to give them credit.
  • quasionequasione Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2012
    Bought my wife a 2012 Elantra GLS in automatic. I live in BC, Canada. I Got it at $20,500 + DD + Levies + taxes. I got the first service thrown in as well for a really hassle free negotiation. I know there isn't a ton of room for movement from what I've read and what my brother in law paid on his. She wanted white so she has to wait a few weeks but other then that was pretty damm painless as far as car sales go.

I was actually looking at a Matrix 1-2 years old but with what people want for them and the interest rates you can get right I would have been crazy to go used.
  • fbendottifbendotti Member Posts: 1
    Where did you purchase. I am looking to get one. How do you like it??
  • alex148alex148 Member Posts: 2
    springfield hyundai in springfield, pa. try e-mailing dealerships. i think some in delaware might go lower. and do the motozuma so you can save $500. wish i would've known about that before i bought mine. more info on hyundai website under special offers. you get a lot of car for the money. i'm really enjoying mine. good luck!
  • ksternosksternos Member Posts: 14
    What is the motozuma?
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    Motozuma dot com . You can open an account there. Folks can 'dontate' money to help you buy a car. Also, some manufacturers have a program to match your deposts up to $500. I got that back in October when I bought my Elantra GLS. I deposited $20 to open the account, $480 a month later then bought the Elantra. Hyundai matched that $500 so it was like getting a $500 rebate. The account has to be open for 30 days to get the match, but you don't have to make the full deposit until a few days before you purchase. Check it out... I used it without problem at my Hyundai Dealer in Memphis.

Current Motozuma web page shows Hyundai $500 match until 1/2/2013. Don't know if any other mfg is doing this.

Bill">
    ironically i ended up not getting the Accent SE. Terrible communication from the dealer, car was delayed several weeks, then they sent it to the wrong dealership and they put it up for sale.

I ended up with a 2012 VW Jetta Diesel with manual transmission. Ended up getting 17300 for the 2011 Elantra Limited with 18K miles.

So I guess in the end you were right, moved forwards and not backwards. Cost more but I love driving it a lot more.
    while i was getting my elantra's oil changed a few weeks ago i was walking around the lot looking at the cars..i seen a 2012 accent with the premium package in mocha bronze color which looked really nice.msrp was $17,700.00 which is not a bad deal considering the options that it came with..
  • pochuckpochuck Member Posts: 1
    I think I did pretty good on the price of my 2012 elantra.i emailed the dealership and negotiated the price.it was listed at 19250. The car was sky blue.i asked for lowest price and said I was in contact with other dealerships.( wich I was not). After several emails I was quoted a price of 18350. The next day I called the salesman and they had sold the car.he tried to sell me other cars with less options but I said no.i told him I wanted an elantra with rims,not hubs, and fog lights,in sky blue.my next choice was silver then maybe black.he said he had none and tried to sell me cars with less options and I said I'll just wait till more come in.it was march 30th.i got a call saying he somehow found in the back of the lot a black gls with preferred package,rims,cargo liner,fog lights,mud guards,for the 18350. I said I really wanted blue but I'll think about it.i got a call 5 minutes later with a price of 18150.i jumped on it.its a great car and I'm happy with the price.they are selling fast but if you wait till the end of the month you'll get the best deal.i signed the papers on April 1 st and they asked to write march 31 st on the check.the dealers have incentives to sell a certain amount of cars in a month and are eager to sell even if they don't make as much to meet their numbers.
  • cptwlkrcptwlkr Member Posts: 4
    Here's the deal on this 2013 Hundai Elantra Limited lease? Seems to me that Money factor is a bit high, residual is ok for 48 months, paying MSRP but no additional fees built in other than delivery and acquisition. NYC/NJ Metro Area. Please share any thoughts?

MSRP $22045
    Sell $ 22795
    Term 48 months/12K miles per year
    Residual 56%
    Acq Fee 595
    Money .00190 (4.56%)
    Taxes $1001
    Monthly $298

0 down, 0 money on deliver, lic fees, doc fees are all being 'shorted' by dealer
    Gotta love car dealers. Got 17300 for my 2011 Elantra Limited with 18K in very good condition. This was the autotrader and blue book values. So im happy with what I got.

Dealer just detailed and did a full cleanup, and have listed it on their website for 23K. Not even certified

For a used Elantra. Why would anyone pay that much when the new ones are the same price?
    I am guessing they listed it high, so they could drop the price a couple thousand and get someone to feel like they are getting a great deal.

Gotta love the car business
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    If you recently traded in a gas guzzler for a more fuel-efficient new vehicle, a reporter wants to talk with you. Please email PR@edmunds.com no later than Friday, April 13, 2012 with your daytime contact info and the makes and models of the vehicles.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• sjung1sjung1 Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2012
    I got OTD $20316 for 2013 elantra +preferred package + floor mat, cargo tray, cargo net, Ipod cable,mud guard,rear bumber protection? (I didn't want these accessories but it comes together)

Is that right price?

Tax is 6.59%
    I dont know how much is title,registration and document fees.

and target price from true car is 19194.

dealer said this is the lowest price they can give.
    but I feel $20,316 is little expensive
  • anubhav1anubhav1 Member Posts: 4
    Is $18150 your OTD price?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    If you recently bought a Hyundai or Kia, a reporter would like to learn what you cross-shopped. Please email PR@edmunds.com no later than Friday, April 27, 2012 with details and your daytime contact information.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

plus,you'll get better mpg with the diesel as well.
    Very true. First two tanks got 40mpg in mixed driving and engine isn't broken in yet.
  • dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    Yeah, but you have to consider the cost of diesel vs regular gas. I just checked gas buddy. Cheapest regular fuel is $3.51 per gallon in my zip code. Cheapest diesel is $4.05.

That is a big difference.
  • mmadisnmmadisn Member Posts: 1
    Purchase Date April 18
    2013 Elantra Sedan GLS A/T
    GLS Preferred Package
    Homelink
    Cargo Tray
    Floor Mats

$18100 - (+TTL)

Quite Happy with the deal.
    wow,didn't think the 13's were out already.you got a great head start for the next year.enjoy the car!!...
  • bosodysbuyer12bosodysbuyer12 Member Posts: 7
    I paid $18,500 OTD for 2013 elantra +preferred package +wheel Locks in Boston area over the weekend(4/29).
    tax:6.25% doc fee+reg+sticker:450.
    I might have gotten it cheaper because it was month-end?
    what was the final negotiated price before TTT??iam looking for the same car down here in south florida.thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter would like to speak to anyone between the age of 20 and 30 who needed financial help from a parent to buy a new car. If you fit this description – or if you are a parent who has helped a 20-something son or daughter buy a new car - and you’d like to share your story, please send your daytime contact information to PR@edmunds.com no later than 3 p.m. Pacific/6 p.m. Eastern on Thursday, May 3, 2012.
  • bosodysbuyer12bosodysbuyer12 Member Posts: 7
    $17,000 before TTT.
    Wow. Good job. That's about $1600 off invoice. Is the Elantra not popular in your area?