Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• pdxtimbersfanpdxtimbersfan Member Posts: 3
    Shopping for 2013 Elantra Limited with Tech Package, sunroof deflector and all weather mats. Been given an "out the door" price of $23,567, $200 below invoice (all fees included). Have only approached one dealer so far. Thoughts on quote?
  • swampduffyswampduffy Member Posts: 3
    I got the EXACT same car last month (but a 2012) in NH for 22,600. Two dealers accepted that offer from me, and one got the car in within the time frame I wanted.

Check around and offer lower to a few dealers and see if you get a response. I was told there was no way I could get one for less than 23K. Oh, and the navigation package is totally worth it.
  • rickpro13rickpro13 Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2012
    Looking at a 2013 Elantra GLS w/ the following options:
    Auto-Dimming Mirror w/Homelink
    Cargo Net
    Cargo Tray
    Carpeted Floor Mats
    Preferred Package
    iPod Cable

MSRP of $19,720. Price the dealer offered was $18,500, plus TTT

Thoughts?
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    i purchased this same exact car with the same features down here in south florida about a month ago.msrp was the same as yours but i got the car for $18,163.00.plus TTT.your price of $18,500.00 isn't that far off but i think you could probably do a little better.problem i had with mine was getting the desert bronze color which seems to be hard to get.my dealer had to get one from another dealer that was over 200 miles a away.it was worth it because this color is very stunning on this car and i get lots of compliments on it....
  • miranda200miranda200 Member Posts: 15
    I purchased a 2011 Elantra limited from John @ Town & Country Hyundai in Milwaukie OR in April 2011 after shopping around a few months in the Portland area. John matched the average "good deal" True Car value here on edmunds.com and was able to get the color I wanted. All negotiation by phone or email. No unpleasant surprises or hastles at time of pick up. Professional and smooth. They were able to license on the spot which saved time for me. Other dealers couldnt even get a car in at that time even w/ a $500 deposit.

AVOID: Worst dealership was Beaverton Hyundai where they PROUDLY posted invoices of 12 past elantra sales on their public showroom wall for $500 - $1200 OVER MSRP. Would not come down at all on their price, they were so very proud of ripping people off. I wont even go to them for service now even tho they are the closest dealership to my house.

Let us know how you wind up.
    Update, after email correspondence from Portland area dealer #2.

He would not match or beat quote from dealer #1 ($23, 500) because the cars they had on the lot had more options- rearview mirror Link, cargo net, cargo shelf, and wheel locks (additional $400 in "stuff) in addition to floor mats and sunroof deflector I had requested.

He would be willing to go $23,500 but I would have to pay my own DMV ($300)- car is now at $23,800. Essentially we would be buying extras we hadn't originally wanted for $300 instead of $400 retail, which doesn't seem like much of a deal.

Dealer #1 participates in a free tires program, where scheduled maintentance has to be done at their dealership in exchange for free tires when the originals are shot. I mentioned that to Dealer #2 who was less than impressed when I suggested he throw in the extras on his Elantra (matching the OTD door price of $23,500) since they are about the value of a set of new tires I'd get at Dealer #1 if I bought there. Was that unrealistic of me? Dealer #2 added "I will talk to my sales manager to see if there's anything else I can do with the price"..

Dealer #2 is very close to my house as well, not that that should be a deciding factor.

Thoughts welcomed- great forum.
  • swampduffyswampduffy Member Posts: 3
    Remember, the alleged $400 worth of options aren't worth $400. That's a bogus number, and not what they would be losing.

1. I think with the navigation package, the rear camera for backing up is included. It was in mine. Backing up is a big part of MY navigation through life, at any rate.

2. I got a cargo net on ebay for 10$.

3. When we agreed on the price I said no extras beyond the navigation package. The car they found came with the sun roof deflector and the mats, so they ate that.

4. I drove too far away to this dealer. I've got 3 much closer. In some ways I regret that. So, perhaps the manager at #2 (as the month comes to a close) will meet your price in a day or two. The convenience might be worth that, even with the terrific gas mileage. If #2 has the color you want, perhaps you might remind them that if they want your business, then they will find you the exact car you want, but a swap is more work for them, and perhaps affects their profit margin. He shouldn't be using 'what we have on the lot' as part of the negotiations.
  • rodneyckrodneyck Member Posts: 3
    I had to go out of my area about 120miles to find my car. The local dealers either did not want to deal much lower than the sticker price, or had limited stock and/or choices. It was worth it. Brought home a new 2013 Elantra with Pref Pkg, pluc cargo net, tray, mats and ipod cable for $18,200 plus TTT. Final out the pocket price including taxes/licenses, etc $19,924.

It really helped that I started with a good quote from one dealer and then shopped around. It took some patience and finding a dealership who could beat the quote, even if I had to go outside my area to deal. I also used truecar dot com to see where others were buying the car, a great site.

So far...I love my Elantra!
    sounds like you got a pretty good deal.your price falls in where others have paid also.i purchased the same car about a month ago.price was $18,163.00plus TTT...however like yourself i had to travel about 100 miles from where i live to get the color i wanted which is desert bronze metallic.for some reason,this is a hard color to get and not many dealers have it on the lot.out of maybe 15 elantras any one dealer may have on the lot only 1 would be in the desert bronze color.i live in hallandale beach,florida and had to go to naples on the west coast to get the car but it was worth it because this car looks so good in the desert bronze color and i get many compliments on it from people.
  • celticwifecelticwife Member Posts: 1
    Hey just wondering what dealership. I am also from South Florida looking for the same package.
    Thanks in advance
  • shmoopy618shmoopy618 Member Posts: 3
    King in Deerfield beach, but that was 2 years ago and they (dealership and manufacturer) were trying to move 2010 elantras to make room for the 2011 remodeled elantras.
    Update from original posts:

Emailed the various Hyundai dealers in Portland area asking for a quote on the specific Elantra I mentioned earlier. The Limited is.. well.. very limited around here right now.

Made an appointment to go drive a car at Larry Miller Hyundai in Hillsboro. We had discussed price and the options that were on that specific car in advance. Even had them take, and send to us, a picture of the specific car on the lot before we left. Drove almost an hour. They couldn't find the keys. Or the car. After some stalling management finally admitted it had been picked up shortly before we arrived- it had been sold to another dealer the week before. Original contact claimed to have no knowledge of it. We were pretty pissed.

They had no more Limiteds on their lot to drive and they were very perplexed we wouldn't "just test drive a GLS- it's the exact same car but for 3" in the wheelbase. I told them we had come to test drive, and likely, purchase the specific model we had discussed. They half-heartedly searched online through inventory but once I told them we didn't want to drive one of the GLS's (they had about 20 on the lot) they had ZERO interest in our business.

With 5-6 salespeople standing around, and zero customers on the lot, we left Larry Miller Hyundai vowing to share this terrible experience with as many people as we can. We received no follow up email or call. The car apparently sells itself without any need for customer service or respect for the buyer.

I have since contacted another dealer and am hoping for a better experience when the car we are looking for arrives from Hyundai and we drive it.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    ...just test drive a GLS- it's the exact same car but for 3" in the wheelbase

Good thing you made a fast retreat from that dealership. They know absolutely nothing about the cars they sell. Or don't mind lying through their teeth. Either way, not someone to do business with.
  • sunstate2013sunstate2013 Member Posts: 6
    I recently purchased my 2013 from Hyundai of St. Augustine (FL).

http://www.hyundaiofstaugustine.com/new-inventory/index.htm?reset=InventoryListi- ng

I have purchased many new cars over the span of my lifetime and I believe this is the most up-front dealership I have ever dealt with, at least from my experience.

I think last year they were rated the #1 Hyundai Dealership in America.

They automatically sell the new Hyundai's for 4-5% below the MSRP on the sticker and prices shown on the internet.

On the lot they show actual MSRP then show what they call an "Up-Front" price reflecting 4-5% off MSRP. They show the same prices on their web page but call the reduced price an "Internet Price".

There is not much wiggle room from the discounted price but some additional savings can possibly be achieved.

The 2 other Hyundai Dealers I looked at were not nearly as Up-Front and acted like a couple hundred bucks off MSRP was all that could be had.

The Hyundai of St. Augustine web site was by far the best I have seen regarding actual MSRP and potential discount off MSRP and for features and options, what you see on the web page is exactly what is on the lot. The photo is a stock photo but everything else is right as rain.

Some of the other Hyundai Dealer web sites I have looked at are very misleading and some don't even show MSRP or an complete list of options.
  • csb187csb187 Member Posts: 1
    I referenced this forum a lot when researching a good price for a Hyundai Elantra and I wanted to pass along my recent purchasing experience. I purchased the car in NJ on July 4th. I got the 2013 Hyundai Elantra with the preferred package. It was Sky Blue Metallic color and came with 4 manufacturer add-ons: carpeted mats, iPod cable, mud guards, & cargo net. The MSRP was 19,485. I was able to negotiate it down to 17,250, plus TTT....the OTD price was $19,250.
    that is a really good deal on a prefered package elantra.the best iv'e seen so far.i just purchased about a month ago a 2013 elantra with the prefered package and the add ons that you have for $18,163.00.msrp was $19,625.00.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    $17,250 is a great price! Can you please break out the additional $2,000 for us, e.g. was any of that extra fees from the dealer, or was it all taxes, title/license stuff?
  • jhawkfly1jhawkfly1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, that sounds like a really great deal. I'm also in NJ looking for an elantra with the preferred package. Can you tell me which dealership? Thanks! I'm really trying to buy a 2011 elantra, but all the internet prices are greatly inflated, does anyone know how much people are paying for slightly used elantras? Or, where I can find that information? Thank you.
  • imarmelsteinimarmelstein Member Posts: 2
    For anyone looking for a Hyundai in the San Francisco area, I can't recommend Hanlees Hilltop Hyundai (Richmond, CA) enough. I just purchased a 2013 Elantra GLS Automatic with minor options (floor mats, iPod cable, mud guards, wheel locks) for $16922 before TTT. OTD was $18629. Best part is, that was their first quoted price, I didn't even have to negotiate. I'm sure there's some room in there for more savings but I felt it was a more than fair price.
    is this with the preffered package or without???
  • katiewarkatiewar Member Posts: 1
    Looking at a 2013 without preferred package. Went today and the OTD price was $19000, I'm thinking I can get it down to about $18500. Would that be a good "sign the dotted line" price or should I go lower? I'm in Northern Virginia

This forum has been very helpful!
  • imarmelsteinimarmelstein Member Posts: 2
    As I said, minor options, so no preferred package.
  • rodneyckrodneyck Member Posts: 3
    Katiewar, that $18500 is considered a good price in your area (Northern Virginia), but the range of a "good deal" is $18,200 to $18,800. That is an automatic 2013 sedan with pref pkg. So you can see if you shop around (which means you might have to travel out of area a good distance) people are getting it for $18,200. Good luck.
  • dkahanedkahane Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2012
    Katiewar -
    Like you, I am in NoVa, and I got my 2013 Elantra GLS (automatic, a/c, minor options, no preferred package) for $18484 OTD, with no negotiating. (I went through my credit union, and they set up the deal with Fairfax Hyundai.)
  • skymapperskymapper Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to this forum, I could manage good deal. Elantra GLS. Options are GLS Preferred package,I Pod Cable,Wheel Locks,Carpet Floor Mat,Cargo Net ,Cargo Tray,Mud Guards and
    Auto Dimming with Home Link.

MSRP 19855. Dealer price 17400. OTD 19163
    Discount 2455$ from MSRP.
    that is a great price when you consider that i purchased the same exact car a few month's ago for $18,163.00 plus TTT down here in south florida.
  • elantraguyelantraguy Member Posts: 5
    Hello,

I am interested in buying a 2013 Elantra GT with A/Trans. , no style or tech. package, and mud flaps, carpeted floor mats, and cargo net.

Can anyone share what they paid for this vehicle or at least give me a idea how much under MSRP would be a great deal ?

Thank you in advance !
  • dkahanedkahane Member Posts: 4
    $17750 plus TTT, as described, in Northern Virginia.
  • ajlorealajloreal Member Posts: 3
    I just bought an Elantra limited with technology package for $22,200 + TTL. OTD came out to $24,400. Floor mats, Ipod cable, cargo net, homelink included. Did I pay too much?
  • makua7makua7 Member Posts: 1
    The dealership I am dealing with has said anyone could post this - did you buy this from a real dealer and are you a real person? they are disputing that anyone could get it for this price and that's what I need to know, as I am trying to get the same deal or close to it. Evidently, you got an excellent price. thanks -
  • jjain10jjain10 Member Posts: 1
    Wow that's a great deal. I'm in the bay area and am currently trying to find a deal on an Elantra. Which dealership did you get yours from?
  • allisonmdallisonmd Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the market for a 2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS A/T with the preferred package. MSRP is $19,220. How much did you pay for yours, and how much negotiating room do you think I have? Thanks, guys!
    i recently purchased a few month's ago a 2013 elantra gls with auto and the preffered package.it also came with the compass rear-view mirror with homelink and a few other goodies.msrp was $19,620.00..my final negotiated price before TTT was $18,163.00 which seems to be the normal of what people are paying on this forum.hope this helps...
  • drewskidoubledrewskidouble Member Posts: 10
    hey steven39,

what was the dealership and locations that you found your deal in South FL?
    2013 elantra gls with auto and preffered package purchased from lehman hyundai in north miami beach,fla.msrp was $19,620.00.final price before TTT was $18,163.00...color is in desert bronze metallic with the beige interior which is a hard color combo to get from what the dealer told me.
  • songbird1119songbird1119 Member Posts: 1
    I would like to buy a 2011 Hyundai Elantra for my daughter. We are in Central Florida. What is a good price? Thanks.
  • elcaporaleelcaporale Member Posts: 8
    Where did you buy this car?
  • drewskidoubledrewskidouble Member Posts: 10
    edited August 2012
    Hey thanks for sharing that information. I just finished inking my deal and the car should be delivered tomorrow morning. For my sister's 23rd birthday, she'll be getting a 2013 Elantra GLS A/T (Shimmering White Mica with the Beige interior, which according to all the dealers I have spoken with is a difficult color to find, i.e. only 2-3 in the state) w/ Preferred Package, Auto-Dimming Rearview, and a few other goodies. MSRP: $19,545. VIN number starts with 5NPD... so I assume this is coming out of the Alabama plant (dunno if this matters.) Got the deal from Southtowne Hyundai in Riverdale, GA. Details Below.

Sale Price: $18136.15
    Tax (7%): $1304.10
    Title, License, and Doc fees: $559.75
    FINAL OTD PRICE: $20k even :DDDD

I hit my target so I'm happy. This is the 2nd vehicle I have shopped for using the information everyone has shared through this forum and I live by all the helpful advice. Thank you everyone and good luck.
  • cajunwoncajunwon Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday received similar deal to most posters here:
    Atlantic Blue, Ulsan
    $18,220: Preferred Pkg, Mats, 1st Aid kit,iPod Cable, Mud Guards, rear bumper Protector, Nitrogen filled tires, int/ext dealer applied protection.
    $19,333 OTD
    this sounds about what most people are paying for this car with the preffered package.purchased my 2013 elantra a few month's ago with auto and the preffered package with the only other options being the cargo net,tray,wheel locks,and the homelink-compass mirror.msrp was $19680.00 and my final negotiated price before TTT was $18,163.00.....i traded in a 2012 elantra that was built at the ulsan plant and the 2013 elantra was built at the montgomery alabama plant and iv'e noticed that the quality seems to be a bit better with the alabama plant made elantra.
  • elcaporaleelcaporale Member Posts: 8
    First let me thanks everyone here for the inputs and information. Someone here post a good price for a deal in Bay Area, CA. Since I didn't get the response where the person got the deal I decided to write to every Hyundai in Bay Area (Sacramento, Modesto, Stockton, Dublin, San Jose, Tracy, etc) from the Hyundai Page. This is what I got and only the San Jose and Dublin offices were able to do it, the rest could not match it.

* 2013 Elantra GLS PZEV With Preferred package
    * Carpeted Floor Mats
    * Cargo Net
    * Cargo Tray
    * First Aid Kit
    * iPod Cable
    * Mud Guards
    * Rear Bumper Protector

Price $17,025. OTD 18,663.
  • eddie149eddie149 Member Posts: 4
    Well I got a MAIL offer from a local hyundai dealer to come in and trade my 2012 for a 2013. I have a 2012 red limited sedan with everything. 24k car. I have had it for 9 months now. 3200 miles now on it. Now this offer says up to 4k off msrp. 2500 added to fair market trade in value. Now for the fun part. I will be haggling in the am and expect no deal. Here is my ammo. Since I will be dealing on a fully loaded 2013 limited they must give me the 4k off msrp since what possible reason could there be for reducing the 4k since I am negotiating on the most expensive elantra. So given they will add destination charges and whatever, they can't get over 21k msrp with the 4k off. Now as far as the trade in price they use the term "fair market value". The way I see it the trade in value they gave the car in their program was 15200 at 2 years old with 30k miles. Now with my car being 9 months old and 3200 miles I feel 17500 would be a fair market value and I don't think that is a bad price. I have one of the very few red limited elantra' s. Add the 2500 in the offer and you get 20k, which yes is 2500 dollars too high but that is what the offer states. 2500 over fair market value. Well you can see where this is going. Hand them a grand, and walk out with a 2013. Now I am also going to look at the coup but that car is 800 bucks cheaper. Just not sure how that clown smiley face front end looks in person. I have not seen one yet. That would mean a virtual swap. To make their job harder I owe 11k on the 2012. I will finance 11k on the 2013 only. Any difference and I will pay in cash. So fuzzy math will not be in play. I will post what happens. I have my rules set as follows. If the offer entails me handing over 1k or less they can bring out the papers. Anything over that and I will have to get back to them. Anything over 2.5k and it is a immediate turn down. Between 1k and 2.5k I will have to think about it because I am treating this whole thing as a fairy tale I am not thinking it out any further. Plus they don't have a car in inventory I would take. I have found several cars in the area although that I would consider if this is real. I will let you know what happens.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    He, he.....it reads like you are playing the flute to a poisonous snake that will pop out of a wicker basket and hand you the keys. As one who keeps his cars forever (or until GM ruins it due to incompetant workmanship), I would be careful of the slithering object which appears before your eyes. Best of luck.
    I also want to go to this dealership because they were the first place I went to when buying my elantra. I was interested in buying but in no way needed to buy a car at the time. I was interested in a red elantra. A salesman walked up to me asked to help and I told him what I was looking for and he said that car was the holy grail of cars. He was not interested in giving me a quote on my trade in and was not interested in sitting down and trying to make a deal. I went to their sister dealership a few miles away and they wrote up a deal on a gls but again were not really going after my biz the car never became avalable from them. A couple months later I saw a red limited pop up on inventory at ganley and took a ride out their. The car was ordered for a customer months ago but when it came in the loan would not go through. I scooped it up and they gave me a pretty good deal. At the time all they could do was hide any deal through your trade in because hyundai was telling dealers to hold top msrp. I just would love to see that salesman again but doubt he is still in the biz. I keep cars a long time also. I have a 2001 elantra, that is why the low mileage on the 2012. Most of that was 2 vacation trips to canada. Also have a 2009 kia spectra I picked up new out the door for 12k. Could not pass up the price. It was to replace the 2001 elantra but the car just keeps running and running without putting any money in it.
    Well I am done with checking out the offer. Basically everything on the card I got was just ignored as I thought. But they did offer me 19k on my trade. But still wanted me to hand over 4k to get a fully loaded coup which was not going to happen. It was funny because I was in a good mood, not in a hurry and having fun dealing with the various attempts to get me to deal in fuzzy math methods that tried to hide the fact that I was paying 4k to make the trade. This one guy kept saying over and over he could lower my payments and make the deal. Well I am 12 months ahead on payments so yes, lowerering my payments and going back to 60 payments was easy to do if I was a moron. The se coup fully loaded is only 21k while my limited sedan is 24k. The coup does offer keyless entry or start, no nav, no rear view camera and no heated leather seats. Not offered at all in a coup. I never did find out where the extra 2k was going. 19k trade 21k msrp why 4k? Their destination charge was only 250 and they kept saying that also. Now I did not sit down in detail because I finnally ended it by saying my absolute top end on trading to a coup was giving them under a thousand dollars. Plus they would have had to throw in clear coat. Also that dealer gives double warrenty on every car. 10/20. Plus when I parked my car next to a coup I like the sedan better. To me that car has every line just perfect. Plus I have matching painted body side mouldings that are red and black. Really stand out nice. I figure now since I am definitly keeping the car long term now I look around at adding some mods.
  • novadernovader Member Posts: 3
    I have been shopping around and so far got offered the following deals:

1. 2013 Elantra A/T with some extras
    MSRP: 18,970
    Quoted price: 17,396

2. 2013 Elantra A/T with preferred package
    MSRP: 19,605
    Quoted price: 18,031

3. 2013 Elantra GT A/T
    MSRP: 20,315
    Quotes price: 18,964

According to what I see on here, I think these are all pretty good deals. I just wonder if I can get a better deal if I wait until their Labor Day sale. Does Hyundai usually have decent sales that weekend or am I wasting my time by waiting? Also, how much of the norm is it to negotiate with the internet sales person?

Thanks in advance!
    i purchased this same exact car with the same equipment you have in the desert bronze color.msrp was $19,680.00 and my final price before TTT was $18,163.00....by the way,another hard color to get is the desert bronze color which my dealer had to get from another dealer in st.augastine fla which was over 200 miles away.i wound up driveing up there with my car and did the deal up there.lots of compliments with the desert bronze color..it was worth the drive.
  • bobemobobemo Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2012
    In Kansas City, Missouri, I just paid for a A/T 2011 Elantra GLS Desert Metallic Bronze with 19,900 miles on it for 15,199.95 from a Honda dealership. No trade in. It had a pristine carfax as well. No scatches or dings, just small stain on front passenger seat, getting seat covers. It was originally listed 16,975.00. They are very motivated to move cars this time of year. I also got 60 month financing at 1.49% with penfed.org. I got a good deal I think. Very happy with my purchase.
  • xaviorxavior Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for this information! I have been scouring this list, looking for a post such as this to help. Do you mind if I ask if your GLS had the preferred package? I assume the 15,199.95 is before TTL?

I will be buying one in November (paying cash, so I think I can push them with the "instant sale" guideline since it's an off-peak buying time). I would prefer to get a certified pre-owned 2011 or 2012 hyundai elantra GLS, but due to their popularity and high resale value I haven't found anything that I would consider paying.

Most C.P.O. 2011 elantra GLS I see are ~15,500, but I've gotten quotes for ~17,400 for brand new 2013 elantra GLS. These are of course before TTL. I'm all for saving money, but less than $2K in savings for a 2 year old car with 30K miles just doesn't seem like a good deal on my end.

Anyone have any suggestions? I am planning on negotiating end of November and paying cash. Is it completely unreasonable for me to set a goal of $13,500 + TTL for a CPO 2011 elantra GLS or $16,500 + TTL for a 2013 elantra GLS?
  • bobemobobemo Member Posts: 2
    It does not have preferred package and its before TTL. Liked my price cause of low miles on it. Barely broken in. I'm sure if you get one with 30,000+ miles on it then you could negotiate down even more from my $15,199. They laughed at my original offer of 14,750. I think it would be tough to get it down to 13,500. If you think you can get a 2013 at $16,500 then I would go with that. Good luck!