Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• trr123trr123 Member Posts: 2
    Please advice the best Internet price in fl

Thanks in advance
  • steph31steph31 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2013
    Thank you so much for all of your posts, this site really helped us to know what was a good deal and how to go about getting a price we felt good with. We just brought home our 2013 Odyssey with smoky topaz with truffle interior, all weather floor mats and door edge guard molding installed.

$29,534 plus $250 ohio documentation fee, $33.50 Title and Registration
    OTD $29,817

We did all the negotiating over email. Tyler at Hugh White Honda internet sales was fabulous but haven't cared for the others in helping us with the title and military stuff.
    We got a sales tax exemption for registering our car to Florida our permanent address and being on military orders out of the state. So we are pretty excited.
    Thanks again to everyone for posting your experiences and advice!
  • thedreamer2thedreamer2 Member Posts: 3
    The prices below are the true car prices in the MidWest area (Missouri).
    (1) These are MSRP (including dest) and excluding TTL (and hence not the OTD price). The dealer was accepting these prices.
    (2) I bought the "Touring" model for $34,785 plus Lifetime Powertrain and Engine Warranty thrown in for no charge. I also had a trade in (1999 Sienna with around 13000K miles and some dents) and they also gave me 2 year free oil changes.
    Model "MSRP" "True Car Price Zip-65203"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LX $29,505 $25,060
    EX $32,655 $26,933
    EX-L $36,055 $29,034
    EX-L w/Entertainment System(RES) $37,655 $30,493
    EX-L w/Navigation System $38,055 $30,858
    Touring $42,360 $34,785
    Touring Elite $44,855 $37,060
  • nycjswnycjsw Member Posts: 15
    I relatively quickly reached a deal over the phone on a Touring Elite in the color we want. The deal is for $36,800. It would include me financing through Honda with 0.9% interest. Doing this gives me a $750 added discount that bring it down to the stated price of $36,800. The only fees added on are $399, $60 and tax. My OTD price would be about $38,400. How would you rate this deal and should I jump on it (I think it is pretty good) or try to squeeze it down a bit or negotiate mud flaps or something? My deal seems very close to the Trucar price so am I leaving $$$ on the table? It seems like now is the time to strike based on 2013 availability/selection and price discounts.

Thanks for all the input from previous posters on price.
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    Where are you located? Sounds like a great deal. I'm in Philadelphia suburbs and TrueCar is showing $38,560 for the Elite. A dealer in my area wanted $39,995 for a Touring not Elite.
    I'm in Virginia. Going to pick up the vehicle today.
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    Which dealer is it? Are you in NOVA?
  • sdmattsdmatt Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a 2013 EX-L without nav or RES, in Smoky Topaz, from Mossy Honda in Lemon Grove. We financed at 0.9% for 48 months using Honda Financial.

base price 28,050 (28,800- 750 for financing). No options/accessories installed.

80 doc fee
    2310 in taxes (8% in California)
    293 for licensing, registration, and CA tire fee.

Total of 30,752 OTD (not including down payment)
  • dwb1310dwb1310 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had experience buying the model that is almost 2 years behind? There are a couple of 2012 EXL's on a local dealer lot. What sale price would you expect on those?

Thanks!
  • bookworm712bookworm712 Member Posts: 1
    May I ask the name of the person that helped ou? I'm in the market for an EXL or EXL-RES. Thanks.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,068
    You may include the dealership name, city and state in your post. Please do not post last names of salespeople, telephone numbers, email addresses, or other contact information.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• lily4lily4 Member Posts: 4
    Hi, sdmatt: May I ask the name of the person that helped you? I'm also in the market for an EXL. Thanks a lot!
    edited June 2013
    I'm in Richmond and just drove my Touring Elite home. I bought it at West Broad Honda. Everything went great. I got offered an 10 year extended warranty for only $1,200. It a lot with only a few things excluded. I passed but the guy said I could call tomorrow and still get it. I guess I'll do some research on it. The deal was done fast and it was very friendly since the deal was struck over the phone. I worked with Rudy.
  • sdmattsdmatt Member Posts: 2
    I worked with Nelvis in the internet department.
  • ken117ken117 Member Posts: 249
    Always good to understand the True Car price is not the lowest price available. While it may be a discounted price, it is a price which somewhat set by the dealers. At a minimum, that price is excessive by the $300 each dealer pays to True Car for a sale. It is never the best to simply take any selling price without negotiation.

At one point, True Car offered a very valuable service in that they seemed to be concerned with the buyer and not the dealer. However, manufacturers and their friends in Congress put a stop to that value. Now True Car is simply one of many so-called car buying services which are essentially operating in cahoots with dealers.

The True Car price has evolved into a strategy by dealers to entice buyers to visit their showrooms. They understand if they get a buyer to buy at their price, the True Car price they win. If they get a buyer into the showroom they have a chance to sell to that buyer and to sell at their price and to sell the littany of overprice products they kindly offer in the F&I office.

Best buying strategy is, as it has always been, to actually negotiate with dealers but let them know upfont the True Car price. Most times you will find a dealer who will beat the True Car price. Might take contacting several dealers but eventually you will locate that one dealer who understands and accomodates today's informed car buyer.

The so-called lifetime powertrain and engine warranties are essentially useless. The components they cover rarely fail and the small print is designed to virtually assure there will almost never be a covered repair. These warranties probably cost the dealer only a few dollars. They are just another devious trick dealers use to entice buyers to buy from them and not from the dealer in the next town.
  • roy2001roy2001 Member Posts: 62
    I got a $28,594 quote (without any fees) for EXL through truecar. The dealer is Vallejo CA. Do you know if I use Honda to finance, can I get more discount? If so, is it $750 or $1000? Thanks.
  • slaphappyslaphappy Member Posts: 7
    Below is my result...just purchased today:

Sticker Price: $37,655 (includes destination of $830) + $599 for protection add ons (mud flaps, etc)

Sale price: 31,300
    Tax: 2,191
    Dmv: 112
    Doc: 250

Total $33,853 out the door. Probably could have done a bit better we wanted this dealership since they are close and provide free oil changes and car washes for the life of the car (not sure if they all do this now)...next dealership was a 1/2 hour further away....
  • gridsgrids Member Posts: 1
    May I know the dealer name where you got this deal.
  • slaphappyslaphappy Member Posts: 7
    Hamilton Honda on Route 130...
  • sandeep_jhasandeep_jha Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I have contacted 3 dealers in Phoenix AZ and all of them have provided me quote between $31,580 to $32,780 + TTL. OTD without any accessories would be around $35,300 to $36,300 which I think is way higher than what people in other states are paying. So if you have purchased your vehicle in Phoenix Valley then please post your purchase price and dealer name.
  • j06j06 Member Posts: 90
    Best deal...

I paid 31,500 +

Planet Honda, Union, NJ
  • j06j06 Member Posts: 90
    sandeep,

check truecar for quote from nearby dealers. I got the deal thru truecar.
  • jjjj263jjjj263 Member Posts: 8
    edited June 2013
    Just bought an Odyssey smokey topaz EX-L without RES/NAV from Landmark Honda VA with appearances pkg (includes Mud flaps, wheel locks, Nitro inflated tires, some thin line of style strips on the sides of the car) + Body side moldings for $ 30,600 OTD - $ 750 off for Honda financing.
    I did my research in this forum and went directly to the showroom and spoke to sales guy 'Sarfraz'. He is very workable !. If you like and want a similar deal (you can even make it better) talk to same guy and just mention about my deal (say 'I am referred by Jay').
    Tip for the buyers: They have very few cars in there inventory and if they have your color and model then do loose the car. Bargain to the max. at most they can no !
  • ken117ken117 Member Posts: 249
    True Car should be the starting point for price. Final price should be lower. At least by the $300 dealers pay True Car for each sale. Avoid using True Car to make a deal, why give TC that $300?

Best way to come up with a starting price is to take the invoice, reduce by holdback, reduce by incentives. Negotiate up from there, not down from anything. Negotiating down shifts the advantage to the dealer.
  • cpa1867cpa1867 Member Posts: 9
    I am a newbie to the new car buying process and would really appreciate the collective wisdom of the people in this forum. I just received a price quote from a dealer in Atlanta, GA for a 2013 EX that includes the following features:

Mud Guard
    Window Tint
    Trunk Tray
    Pin Stripes

The out-the-door price:
    $27,816 (includes fees)
    $41 (tag and title)
    ------------------------
    $27,857 Total before tax
    $1,987 GA Tax
    ------------------------
    $29,844 Total after tax OTD price

Note that this price takes into account Honda financing incentives. Thus far, dealers are very close in price to each other.

My best TruCar quote for the area was $28,373 including fees and tags but before tax. After tax was $30,360.

Basically, I've been able to shave off $516 dollars from the best TruCar estimate for my area while including some additional, desired features such as the tint, trunk tray, and pin striping.

Any thoughts on whether or not I am getting a reasonable deal? Maybe there's a lower price somewhere, but dealers are indicating that I'm about as low as I can go (still have plenty more dealers to hear from). I'd love to hear what you guys think.

Thanks!
    One other question. One of the dealers informed me that the 2014s are coming out in the next two weeks (July). Does it make sense to wait for the 2014s?
  • jjjj263jjjj263 Member Posts: 8
    Wait for 2014 only if you are interested in buying Elite model. Otherwise it is the same car. till this month end there are some gr8 incentive are going on from Honda. price wise this is the best time to buy 2013 models
  • briko3briko3 Member Posts: 6
    I got it at Breakaway Honda in Greenville, SC. Here's how it broke down:
    $29,476 intial price
    -$500 Honda finance flex cash
    = $28,976
    +$300 SC tax
    +$199 doc Fee
    +$25 to transfer the tag
    = $29,500 out the door.
    I'm not sure if it normally comes with wheel locks and pin striped, but mine did. Don't know if that helps or not. I'm assuming that stuff comes with an ex-l.
    Oh...one more thing. It came with some 3rd party lifetime (non transferrable) warranty on the powertrain. A lot of Honda dealers in this area include that, but I'm not sure if that's something everyone has in their area.
  • beeman808beeman808 Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2013
    Not many people from Hawaii checking in... it would be nice since there are only three dealerships on the island of Oahu.

I am interested in an 2013 Odyssey EX.
    First dealership $31900 OTD cash.
    Second dealership $31500 financed (in order to get $750)

Really? I know we are in the middle of the ocean, but almost $3000 more than the continental US is paying for a measly EX? I haven't tried the third dealership, but I'm not very confident that they'll budge much more. Maybe we are terrible negotiators. People from Hawaii, please share your prices or recommendations.
    Ok, so I ended up with an EX-L with body molding for $29,350 OTD pre-tax (financed) in Atlanta.

I'm pretty happy with the deal, especially given that it barely cost me more than the best EX deal I had lined up for $27,700. It was just too close in price for me to not jump on the EX-L. Glad I did. I love it so far.

Thanks so much to the posters on this forum for the pricing info. Very helpful.
    Looks to me like your dealers are giving you the run around, although I can't be sure.

Have you tried TrueCar.com for at least an idea of decent dealer prices in your area? I would never buy at the TrueCar price--definitely negotiate further. It really serves more as a reasonableness check to make sure you aren't absolutely getting screwed by dealers and will give you a little more insight into their pricing.

As a little help, I checked TrueCar for Honolulu (not sure what city you are in), and it shows the average price paid in that area was $29,682 while the estimate of what should have been paid was around $28k, give or a take a couple hundred.

Best of luck.
    I forgot to mention that the estimate I just gave you based on what info. was immediately available for Honolulu did not include dealer fees. Not sure what those typically run in your area. Honestly, seems like from the little information that I glanced at that you should be shooting for a $28k OTD price before tax, give or take a few hundred bucks. Not sure if you live in some location where transporting vehicles is especially pricey, but the $31,500 OTD price before tax just seems grossly overpriced to me based on deals here in the states.
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    Beeman:

I lived in HI for three years when I was stationed at Hickam. I bought two cars from CA while I was there: an Odyssey, and a Tahoe. I also helped several friends buy their cars from CA. The HI dealers charge crazy prices because most people aren't aware that there are ways around them. You should contact several Honda dealers in the LA area. Get your best price and ask them to ship it to HI for you. It will cost about $1,000 to ship the van and you'll pay the HI use tax when you register it in HI. You'll save at least $2K and it's very easy to do. The only drawbacks are that you have to wait 2-3 weeks for the van to arrive and you can't make a trade-in.

It's definitely worth the effort! I sold both of my cars before I left HI and lost less than $1,000 total from what I paid for them.
  • senmunsenmun Member Posts: 9
    Please reply to my post with your purchase price for EX-L or EX at MD. I am looking to get it by end of this month.
  • tomormatttomormatt Member Posts: 2

I am about to purchase a 2013 Honda Odyssey EX-L with RES (Smoky Topaz) and the lowest price I have is $31,394, which includes the "Protection Package", which I am not necessarily interested in, but it is on the only one in the color we want.

This will be our third Odyssey EX-L with RES, but it has been six years since we purchased the last one so I do not have a good feel for prices other than what I am reading. Does this seem reasonable to everyone?
  • beeman808beeman808 Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2013
    Thanks cpa1867 and vinnyny!

cpa1867:
    The $31,500 price is out-the-door (OTD) includes all fees and taxes, which means the base/starting price is roughly $29,100. I have used truecar.com, but I am not sure how accurate it is for Hawaii. Some people on forums CLAIM to have paid as low as $28,000 OTD on the continental US, but not knowing the payment conditions and tax blurs the number. If this were true, that means that the starting price is much lower than 28,000!

vinnyny:
    Thank you for sharing your experience. Despite the legal paperwork and headache, this may be worth pursuing, especially if we're looking at saving more than $2000. Mahalo.
  • azblondieazblondie Member Posts: 1
    I've been getting quotes all week and the best price I've gotten (after negotiation - two other dealers have said they can match, but not beat, another wouldn't even try) is $30,150 plus tax, which includes window tinting and something else (mud flaps??) One dealer quoted $30,034 'plus add-ons' - my understanding is that those add-ons include the 'desert protection package', which is basically an expensive wax job.

What makes Phoenix relatively expensive? I'm seeing a number of people on here who have gotten prices in the 28 - 29K range for the EX-L.
  • didureloaddidureload Member Posts: 9
    Looking for EX-L in NJ. Got a quote in Burlington NJ for $30,334
    OTD Price is $33,072
    Based on what I have read, this looks somewhat expensive.
    Anyone bought for cheaper in NJ (near Philadelphia) and have a recommendation?
  • bionik9bionik9 Member Posts: 4
    I live in central Florida. What out the door price (including the 6% tax) should I be aiming for for an EX-L? What about with navigation and/or RES? My best metric so far is Truecar that, when all is said and done, would land me out the door at $31424 for an EX-L without the other options. And they'll prob try to nickel and dime me for floor mats, etc. Help!
  • teja9999teja9999 Member Posts: 1
    I Bought EX-L over weekend for 28,831 + Tax+registration+ plates + etc etc

and i noticed Prices have been increased since monday about $1000 more , i got a great trade in value for my 2009 odyssey LX ( 15000) with 24K miles

Great Buy
  • jailenijaileni Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I got a similar quote of $28,494 from for EXL from Honda dealer in Vallejo.

Did you purchase the car and have you got further discount?

Thanks,
    Jagadeesh Aileni
    jaielni@gmail.com
    edited June 2013
    Why would someone lie about prices obtained in this forum? Not sure what would be gained. The prices on this forum appear to be legitimate based on my haggling experience this week.

In Atlanta, I had actual offers from 3 dealerships for the 2013 EX ranging from $27,700 to $28,850 OTD pre-tax (dealer fees included) including dealer extras. The best deal was from Ed Voyles Honda ($27,700 with all weather mats, trunk tray, splash guards, free car washes and oil changes for life if taken to the dealer, etc.

For a 2013 EX, that's really not that hard to believe, I'm sure I could have squeezed a little more out of them if I really tried. I ended up going with an EX-L for $29,350 with wheel locks, body molding, and 4 free oil changes from Honda Auto Nation in Lithia Springs. I think I should have tried to get down a bit more in price (in hindsight) but am very happy with the deal.

Can't vouch for Hawaii of course, but the sub $28k prices before tax on EX's is totally within the realm of possibility in the continental US. Every dealer I pressed gave me prices below $28k.

For an EX-L, however, good luck. In Atlanta, you'll likely run into a lot of dealers that will balk at anything near $30k. I could get only get one of the three Honda dealers near me to get anywhere close to $29k, the others were nearly $2k+ higher after going back and forth.

If anyone in the Atlanta area is interested, I can tell you the salesperson to talk to at Ed Voyles Honda in Marietta for the EX deal and the salesperson at Honda Auto Nation in Lithia Springs for the EX-L deal.

Best of luck out there.
    edited June 2013
    As a general heads-up to people on the forum, unfortunately, no one can really compare deals with trade-ins to deals without trade-ins. The fact is, the dealer may take an additional loss on selling a 2013 if enough room is found on the trade-in to recover the loss. Hence the reason I think we are seeing some $28k-ish EX-L deals. The rock bottom EX prices on this forum aren't much below that price. The other alternative is that the dealer just really needs cash at the moment and is willing to take a hit.

The invoice on an EX-L is approximately $33k after destination fees (should only vary very slightly across the country and by dealer). Highly doubt the dealer is getting $5k in holdbacks, dealer cash/flex cash, etc. to actually make a profit selling EX-Ls near $28k. Maybe if you got one barebones with absolutely no free services or accessories, then maybe. Anyone in Atlanta seeing prices like that?
  • sophie706sophie706 Member Posts: 2
    I am also in SoCA, trying to get an EX-L w/ RES. Currently I am in the negotiating process, but it's for $ 30,508 +TTL.

I can email you with the sales info if it all goes well.
  • bionik9bionik9 Member Posts: 4
    I agree. This is why it is very important to get your price of the vehicle without ever mentioning a trade; they essentially should be two separate transactions.

Also, an OTD price is what you cut the check for, not the subtotal before tax, title, reg, "dealer fees", etc. Just an FYI so we can all get a better handle on what the total account debit or financing amount would be.

That being said, I posited this transaction on the assumption that I would have no trade. I am working on a price that is currently at $31,400 OTD for an EX-L. This is after taxes, titling, registration, and "fees". I am curious if this is a good number to go on or if you think I have more wiggle room to go lower. It is basically TrueCar pricing and fees that are automatically added (plus obligatory state fees). In other words, I took TrueCar as my target price, as I have experience with dealers not being very excited about using this price point.
  • richard1111richard1111 Member Posts: 17
    I am also in SoCal. Trying to get EX-L w/RES and not getting anywhere near your price. Can you forward where you are getting this deal at? Thank you and appreciate very much.
    edited June 2013
    Thanks for the information.

Sounds like you are getting a reasonable deal, so long as your before tax cost with all fees is within a few hundred dollars of $29,000, give or take. I think you could probably be at peace with the deal you have if no one else is willing to go that low. Never hurts to haggle a little further with the dealer and see what else he can do. If he doesn't budget, then I wouldn't feel bad at all. You are probably getting a better price than most people out there =). My OTD price including tax was $31,484, but that is at 6.5% tax in GA, and the tax was based off of a fair market value that was around $33 or $34k, I think, which was obviously much higher than my actual sales price of $29,350 including all dealer fees and dealer add-ons for body molding, wheel locks, and 4 free oil changes.

As for prices, I prefer to show only the price before tax as tax, tag, and title are not equivalent across states. If everyone would post the base price excluding tax, tag, title, we could all compare prices. Or at least show the breakdown with before tax and after tax. Just my preference. The reason this is also critical is that in some states, the tax is on the government's Fair-market value and is not indicative of the actual price you paid for the car. Trying to adjust for all of those factors is near impossible on a forum like this, hence the most useful price is the actual price for the vehicle plus all dealer fees, excluding any state government fees and taxes.

Also, I think some of the prices being posted are before tax without indicating such, which is doubly confusing.

Bottom line (imo), before tax OTD price for people who did not trade in a vehicle are the only prices that are meaningful on this forum unless you are intimately familiar with the tax/fee structure of the particular state quoted.
    Beeman,

Sorry, I initially misread your post. If you are getting the vehicle for $29,100 before tax, that is a great deal. Some of the US states have little to no tax on vehicle purchases, which is probably why you thought you weren't getting a reasonable deal. My EX-L (Crystal Black Pearl) was $29,350 OTD before tax with mud flaps, wheel locks, body molding, and 4 free oil changes. After tax, tag, and title I was $31,484 for Georgia. I think I could have maybe gotten them down another $300 to $500 but they were so far below the other dealers that I just skipped the rest of the back and forth.

I indicated before tax in my initial post, but apologize for any confusion. Sounds like your Hawaii taxes are as bad as Georgia =)

Happy hunting.